Hip Mama

Default Rice ??

We eat quite a bit of rice ... the norm in our house has been the store
brand brown rice and occasionally the store brand white rice. It seemed
fine w/ me.
Recently on a trip to the West Side Market, I bought some specialty rice ...
WOW ... amazing! It was just a simple short grain white rice that I can't
remember the name of right now. I had no idea that it would make such a
difference!
All these years I have missed out on GOOD rice, thinking that it really
didn't matter.
I'm wondering what is your favorite rice? Do you think there is a big
difference between store brand and the brands that are sold in specialty
stores?
Thanks!
~Kat

Goomba38

Hip Mama wrote:

> Recently on a trip to the West Side Market, I bought some specialty rice ...
> WOW ... amazing! It was just a simple short grain white rice that I can't
> remember the name of right now. I had no idea that it would make such a
> difference!
> All these years I have missed out on GOOD rice, thinking that it really
> didn't matter.
> I'm wondering what is your favorite rice? Do you think there is a big
> difference between store brand and the brands that are sold in specialty
> stores?

Store brands might have less to do with it than the type of rice. There are so
many variables, short, med, long, naturally flavorful rice's such as Jasmine and
Basmati. You will only really know what's out there if you buy them and
experiment.
Goomba

Peter Aitken

"Hip Mama" > wrote in message
> We eat quite a bit of rice ... the norm in our house has been the store
> brand brown rice and occasionally the store brand white rice. It seemed
> fine w/ me.
> Recently on a trip to the West Side Market, I bought some specialty rice

> WOW ... amazing! It was just a simple short grain white rice that I can't
> remember the name of right now. I had no idea that it would make such a
> difference!
> All these years I have missed out on GOOD rice, thinking that it really
> didn't matter.
> I'm wondering what is your favorite rice? Do you think there is a big
> difference between store brand and the brands that are sold in specialty
> stores?
> Thanks!
> ~Kat

Rice is certainly a lot more varied that many people realize. You can look
forward to a lot of fun exploring all the diffferent kinds - heck, after 30
years eating rice I still find a new one now and then! We have 7 different
kinds in the house at the moment, and I bet some people have a lot more. My
only advice is to explore and enjoy - and if you can, take a look at the
cookbook "The Seduction of Rice" - really great.

--
Peter Aitken

jmcquown

Goomba38 wrote:
> Hip Mama wrote:
>
>> Recently on a trip to the West Side Market, I bought some specialty
>> rice ... WOW ... amazing! It was just a simple short grain white
>> rice

> Store brands might have less to do with it than the type of rice.
> There are so many variables, short, med, long, naturally flavorful
> rice's such as Jasmine and Basmati. You will only really know what's
> out there if you buy them and experiment.
> Goomba

Agreed! I was thinking the exact thing while reading the post.

I adore Jasmine rice. The scent while cooking is fantastic! Then there is
Arborio, which lends itself well to soups (like pasta), and since I'm a
soup-a-holic I should know...

Jill

Mr. Wizard

"Hip Mama" > wrote in message

> I'm wondering what is your favorite rice? Do you think there is a big
> difference between store brand and the brands that are sold in specialty
> stores?
> Thanks!
> ~Kat

Basmati and Jasmine are our favorites.
As far as store brands go, Mahatma is always
a good bet for quality and economy.
They provide a variety of choices to keep your
pantry stocked between trips to the specialty market.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Hip Mama"
> wrote:

> We eat quite a bit of rice ... the norm in our house has been the
> store brand brown rice and occasionally the store brand white rice.
> It seemed fine w/ me. Recently on a trip to the West Side Market, I
> bought some specialty rice ... WOW ... amazing! It was just a simple
> short grain white rice that I can't remember the name of right now. I
> had no idea that it would make such a difference! All these years I
> have missed out on GOOD rice, thinking that it really didn't matter.
> I'm wondering what is your favorite rice? Do you think there is a
> big difference between store brand and the brands that are sold in
> specialty stores? Thanks! ~Kat

99% of the time I use store brand long grain white rice. I cook it in
the microwave in a 2-quart pitcher, 1 cup rice (lately I've been rinsing
it quite a bit before cooking) to 2 cups water, 1/2 tsp salt, and a
little oil to keep the boiling down. I cover it with plastic wrap
(vented). About 8 minutes on full power and about8 at 30% power. FWIW.

What I *really* like is wild rice. Yeah, I know, it's not 'really'
rice. Tough.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.
occupant

Hip Mama wrote:

> We eat quite a bit of rice ... the norm in our house has been the store
> brand brown rice and occasionally the store brand white rice. It seemed
> fine w/ me.
> Recently on a trip to the West Side Market, I bought some specialty rice ...
> WOW ... amazing! It was just a simple short grain white rice that I can't
> remember the name of right now. I had no idea that it would make such a
> difference!
> All these years I have missed out on GOOD rice, thinking that it really
> didn't matter.
> I'm wondering what is your favorite rice? Do you think there is a big
> difference between store brand and the brands that are sold in specialty
> stores?
> Thanks!
> ~Kat

If you like brown rice, get a good quality, it does make a difference.

There is a big diffence in rice. I eat lots of rice and unless doing
mexican rice dishes, it is always prepared in a rice cooker.

Other posters have mentioned other rices. Good quality Japanese sticky
rice is great but probably not for everyone.

In spite of all the rice I eat, I was surprised at how nice and
different Thai rice was. Now it is almost the only rice I make unless
I am making Chinese food then I use a Chinese rice.

Athough I have eaten Thai rice in resturants, I thought it was just
Chinese white rice cooked or adapted to Thai cooking. Well, nothing
could be further from the truth. White Thai is my all-time favorite.

Sheryl Rosen

in article , Melba's
Jammin' at
wrote on 2/15/04 6:58 PM:

> In article >, "Hip Mama"
> > wrote:
>
>> We eat quite a bit of rice ... the norm in our house has been the
>> store brand brown rice and occasionally the store brand white rice.
>> It seemed fine w/ me. Recently on a trip to the West Side Market, I
>> bought some specialty rice ... WOW ... amazing! It was just a simple
>> short grain white rice that I can't remember the name of right now. I
>> had no idea that it would make such a difference! All these years I
>> have missed out on GOOD rice, thinking that it really didn't matter.
>> I'm wondering what is your favorite rice? Do you think there is a
>> big difference between store brand and the brands that are sold in
>> specialty stores? Thanks! ~Kat

> 99% of the time I use store brand long grain white rice. I cook it in
> the microwave in a 2-quart pitcher, 1 cup rice (lately I've been rinsing
> it quite a bit before cooking) to 2 cups water, 1/2 tsp salt, and a
> little oil to keep the boiling down. I cover it with plastic wrap
> (vented). About 8 minutes on full power and about8 at 30% power. FWIW.
>
> What I *really* like is wild rice. Yeah, I know, it's not 'really'
> rice. Tough.

Barb,
What is the difference in the final product with rinsing the rice vs. not
rinsing it?
Just curious.

I used to like Goya Extra Long Grain White Rice in the blue box, when I
could find it. It was a little bit less expensive than Carolina, and it had
a pleasant nutty flavor. Now, I mostly buy Canilla Extra Long Grain rice,
it's a Goya brand. It has that nutty quality to it, but not as much as the
one in the blue box did. The markets near me stopped carrying that. Rats! it
was great!

I have been seeing "medium grain" rice, but only in 5 lb bags. I will try
that next. Just out of curiosity.

PENMART01

> Melba's Jammin' beats her tom toms:
>
>What I *really* like is wild rice. Yeah, I know, it's not 'really'
>rice. Tough.

Sure... g'wan, rub it in why doncha... just because you live smack-dab in wild
rice country and can get the good stuff for cheap... your neighbor is probably
Hiawatha and has a whole fleet of canoes, Chawktaw filled to the gunwales with
*fresh* wild rice.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

jmcquown

PENMART01 wrote:
>> Melba's Jammin' beats her tom toms:
>>
>> What I *really* like is wild rice. Yeah, I know, it's not 'really'
>> rice. Tough.

> Sure... g'wan, rub it in why doncha... just because you live
> smack-dab in wild rice country and can get the good stuff for
> cheap... your neighbor is probably Hiawatha and has a whole fleet of
> canoes, Chawktaw filled to the gunwales with *fresh* wild rice.
>
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

If you talk nice to her she'll send you some

Jill (adores wild rice and makes soup with it!)

Tim Challenger

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:02:17 -0600, jmcquown wrote:

> Then there is
> Arborio, which lends itself well to soups (like pasta),

and risotto, of course. ;-)
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
JimL

zxcvbob > wrote in message

--------SNIP------

> I buy 20# bags of jasmine rice at the oriental market. But lately I've
> started mixing jasmine rice and brown rice. I use 2 cups of water, 1/2 cup
> brown rice, and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, turn the heat all the way
> down low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add 1/2 cup long grain white
> rice (jasmine), stir, cover and just barely simmer for another 15 or 20
> minutes.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

It took me a few minutes to digest this. So I think I have it -- the
end result is one cup of rice and two cups of water? The usual ratio.
But simmering time is twice as long, and boiling is only for the
brown rice at the first step, and not for the white rice at the second
step. I'll have to try this.
zxcvbob

JimL wrote:

> zxcvbob > wrote in message
>
> --------SNIP------
>

>>I buy 20# bags of jasmine rice at the oriental market. But lately I've
>>started mixing jasmine rice and brown rice. I use 2 cups of water, 1/2 cup
>>brown rice, and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, turn the heat all the way
>>down low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add 1/2 cup long grain white
>>rice (jasmine), stir, cover and just barely simmer for another 15 or 20
>>minutes.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Bob

> It took me a few minutes to digest this. So I think I have it -- the
> end result is one cup of rice and two cups of water? The usual ratio.
> But simmering time is twice as long, and boiling is only for the
> brown rice at the first step, and not for the white rice at the second
> step. I'll have to try this.

You got it. The brown rice get a head start before you add the white rice,
but it all gets simmered as low as you can adjust the stove. It ends up
tasting nutty like brown rice, but a lot fluffier and less sticky.

Best regards,
Bob
Dennis G.

"Hip Mama" > wrote:

>I'm wondering what is your favorite rice?

Texas long grain white