Default BARBEQUE WOOD TYPES

Hello, My brother and I have been smoking hogs for years
with various methods. We have generally always used Oak
wood, but on occasion used Hickory, and a real good one
is Orange (citrus) tree wood which gives a great flavor but
alas all of the citrus business has moved further south of here
now. We always knew to stay away from sap rich woods like
pine unless you wanted your meat to taste like turpentine.
But my question is, I have a continuing supply of hege wood
that comes from Sweet Viburnum hedge. I've been hauling this
stuff off for years and I wonder if one could actually barbeque
with this wood. I've searched for info on any poisons that might
be in the wood with no success. Does anyone know of this
type of wood being used or any information at all on it ?
Thanks to all replies.

Steve Knight

> But my question is, I have a continuing supply of hege wood
>that comes from Sweet Viburnum hedge. I've been hauling this
>stuff off for years and I wonder if one could actually barbeque
>with this wood. I've searched for info on any poisons that might
>be in the wood with no success. Does anyone know of this
>type of wood being used or any information at all on it ?
>Thanks to all replies.

well it does not come up in the poisonous list.
there are a lot of great smoking woods. Lilac was fantastic. citrus as you
found is good. cherry is good.
burn some and see if you like the smoke smell from it.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

In rec.food.cooking, Steve Knight > wrote:

> burn some and see if you like the smoke smell from it.

Good advice. Just light a small splint and blow it out. Sniff the
resulting smoke.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
Mark Thorson

BOB wrote:

> Have you actually cooked much using wood as a flavoring for the food
> (not just meat)?

Yes, there was a period of a few years when I was
smoking three or more times a week. The vast
majority of that was meat, though I have done a lot
of experiments with non-meat foods. Twice, I
tried to smoke potato chips (bleah!).

From my experience, I know that there are flavors
in "fresh" smoke which disappear when the food
is allowed to continue cooking.

Edwin Pawlowski

Mark Thorson wrote:

> Lousy advice. You don't know what flavor will be imparted
> to the meat from that test.

No, good advice. If you get a punget odor or turpentine odor like some
softwoods, you know not to persue it at all. While a good smoke odor may
not be good on meat, I can assure you that bad smoke odor will not get
better. .

--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

hahabogus

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in
m:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
>>
>> Lousy advice. You don't know what flavor will be imparted
>> to the meat from that test.

> No, good advice. If you get a punget odor or turpentine odor like some
> softwoods, you know not to persue it at all. While a good smoke odor may
> not be good on meat, I can assure you that bad smoke odor will not get
> better. .

Or maybe like poison ivy the toxins (if any) can be carried in the smoke.
If the plant is identified as not dangerous to people, by a respectable
source... Then perhaps smoke some meat with it.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.

BOB

Mark Thorson wrote:
> BOB wrote:
>
>> Have you actually cooked much using wood as a flavoring for the food
>> (not just meat)?

> Yes, there was a period of a few years when I was
> smoking three or more times a week. The vast
> majority of that was meat, though I have done a lot
> of experiments with non-meat foods. Twice, I
> tried to smoke potato chips (bleah!).
>
> From my experience, I know that there are flavors
> in "fresh" smoke which disappear when the food
> is allowed to continue cooking.

Then you should know more about the smells/tastes that would be transferred.
Like you just said, tastes and smells can disappear. They will *not* just show
up. So, what's the problem with making a smell test, specifically, why is
EskWIRED's comment "Lousy advice."? Maybe it's not complete, but it is far from
"Lousy".

BOB
cooks more with fire and smoke than with my indoor appliances

In rec.food.cooking, BOB > wrote:

> Then you should know more about the smells/tastes that would be transferred.

Exactly.

> cooks more with fire and smoke than with my indoor appliances

You too?

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

Is old wood good wood? Bruce K. Barbecue 3 01-11-2013 12:51 AM
My Barbeque Rub Wayne Boatwright[_3_] General Cooking 24 06-07-2008 05:19 AM
barbeque Angela General Cooking 12 06-02-2006 07:48 PM
Types of wood for smoking DxP Barbecue 30 17-07-2004 10:34 PM
barbeque wood types D Barbecue 5 16-02-2004 11:52 PM