Steve Lee

Default Questions about the "pork" smell with pork

I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.

Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
encoutered this before?

I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.

Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
courtesy.
BOB

Steve Lee wrote:
> I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
> to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.
>
> Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
> describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
> cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
> you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
> handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
> encoutered this before?
>

> I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
> this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
> something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.
>
> Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
> strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
> courtesy.

Use proper refrigeration?

BOB

Steve Lee wrote:
> I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
> to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.
>
> Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
> describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
> cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
> you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
> handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
> encoutered this before?
>

> I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
> this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
> something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.
>
> Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
> strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
> courtesy.

Use proper refrigeration?

Bigbazza

"Steve Lee" > wrote in message
>I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
> to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.
>
> Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
> describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
> cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
> you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
> handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
> encoutered this before?
>

> I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
> this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
> something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.
>
> Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
> strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
> courtesy.

Like Bob say's 'Refrigeration'....If you leave the pork longer than a day
or so..It will develop that 'smell' about it and you will notice it whilst
cooking it then!!...It's not necessarily 'off'...but develops a stronger
smell about it !!

If buying 'Pork' to use longer than a day...'Freeze ' it or put in a
marinade until the next day only....

Bigbazza

Bigbazza

"Steve Lee" > wrote in message
>I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
> to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.
>
> Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
> describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
> cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
> you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
> handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
> encoutered this before?
>

> I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
> this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
> something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.
>
> Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
> strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
> courtesy.

Like Bob say's 'Refrigeration'....If you leave the pork longer than a day
or so..It will develop that 'smell' about it and you will notice it whilst
cooking it then!!...It's not necessarily 'off'...but develops a stronger
smell about it !!

If buying 'Pork' to use longer than a day...'Freeze ' it or put in a
marinade until the next day only....

Bigbazza

Bob (this one)

Bigbazza wrote:

> "Steve Lee" > wrote in message=20
>=20
>>I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
>>to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.
>>
>>Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
>>describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
>>cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
>>you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
>>handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
>>encoutered this before?

Yes. It's the smell of pork.

>>I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
>>this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
>>something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.
>>
>>Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
>>strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
>>courtesy.

This is totally subjective issue. That smell is the smell of the meat.=20
Nothing much to do about it. Heavy seasoning, smoking, grilling=20
outdoors and other such remedies can mask the scent, but why bother.=20
It sounds like you don't like pork. Don't eat pork. Try some milder=20
meats like rabbit or alligator.

> Like Bob say's 'Refrigeration'....If you leave the pork longer than a=

day=20
> or so..It will develop that 'smell' about it and you will notice it whi=

lst=20
> cooking it then!!...It's not necessarily 'off'...but develops a stronge=

r=20
> smell about it !!
>=20
> If buying 'Pork' to use longer than a day...'Freeze ' it or put in a=20
> marinade until the next day only....

This is not good advice. Too sweeping. Pork in cryopackaging will last=20
up to 45 days from pack date without any problems. Most freshly cut=20
pork stored at a fridge temp in the mid-30=B0F range will last four or=20
five days before any spoilage scents begin to emerge. That's why cut=20
meats have sell-by dates on them that are more than a day away.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Bigbazza wrote:

> "Steve Lee" > wrote in message=20
>=20
>>I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
>>to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.
>>
>>Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
>>describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
>>cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
>>you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
>>handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
>>encoutered this before?

Yes. It's the smell of pork.

>>I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
>>this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
>>something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.
>>
>>Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
>>strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
>>courtesy.

This is totally subjective issue. That smell is the smell of the meat.=20
Nothing much to do about it. Heavy seasoning, smoking, grilling=20
outdoors and other such remedies can mask the scent, but why bother.=20
It sounds like you don't like pork. Don't eat pork. Try some milder=20
meats like rabbit or alligator.

> Like Bob say's 'Refrigeration'....If you leave the pork longer than a=

day=20
> or so..It will develop that 'smell' about it and you will notice it whi=

lst=20
> cooking it then!!...It's not necessarily 'off'...but develops a stronge=

r=20
> smell about it !!
>=20
> If buying 'Pork' to use longer than a day...'Freeze ' it or put in a=20
> marinade until the next day only....

This is not good advice. Too sweeping. Pork in cryopackaging will last=20
up to 45 days from pack date without any problems. Most freshly cut=20
pork stored at a fridge temp in the mid-30=B0F range will last four or=20
five days before any spoilage scents begin to emerge. That's why cut=20
meats have sell-by dates on them that are more than a day away.

Pastorio

Bigbazza

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
Bigbazza wrote:

> "Steve Lee" > wrote in message
>
>>I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
>>to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.
>>
>>Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
>>describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
>>cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
>>you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
>>handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
>>encoutered this before?

Yes. It's the smell of pork.

>>I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
>>this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
>>something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.
>>
>>Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
>>strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
>>courtesy.

This is totally subjective issue. That smell is the smell of the meat.
Nothing much to do about it. Heavy seasoning, smoking, grilling
outdoors and other such remedies can mask the scent, but why bother.
It sounds like you don't like pork. Don't eat pork. Try some milder
meats like rabbit or alligator.

> Like Bob say's 'Refrigeration'....If you leave the pork longer than a
> day or so..It will develop that 'smell' about it and you will notice it
> whilst cooking it then!!...It's not necessarily 'off'...but develops a
> stronger smell about it !!
>
> If buying 'Pork' to use longer than a day...'Freeze ' it or put in a
> marinade until the next day only....

This is not good advice. Too sweeping. Pork in cryopackaging will last
up to 45 days from pack date without any problems. Most freshly cut
pork stored at a fridge temp in the mid-30°F range will last four or
five days before any spoilage scents begin to emerge. That's why cut
meats have sell-by dates on them that are more than a day away.

Pastorio

Well....Good advice or not...It works well with me !!....I have been cooking
food and handling it now for nearly 60 years !!..

Bigbazza

Bigbazza

Bigbazza wrote:

> "Steve Lee" > wrote in message
>
>>I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
>>to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.
>>
>>Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
>>describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
>>cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
>>you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
>>handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
>>encoutered this before?

Yes. It's the smell of pork.

>>I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
>>this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
>>something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.
>>
>>Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
>>strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
>>courtesy.

This is totally subjective issue. That smell is the smell of the meat.
Nothing much to do about it. Heavy seasoning, smoking, grilling
outdoors and other such remedies can mask the scent, but why bother.
It sounds like you don't like pork. Don't eat pork. Try some milder
meats like rabbit or alligator.

> Like Bob say's 'Refrigeration'....If you leave the pork longer than a
> day or so..It will develop that 'smell' about it and you will notice it
> whilst cooking it then!!...It's not necessarily 'off'...but develops a
> stronger smell about it !!
>
> If buying 'Pork' to use longer than a day...'Freeze ' it or put in a
> marinade until the next day only....

This is not good advice. Too sweeping. Pork in cryopackaging will last
up to 45 days from pack date without any problems. Most freshly cut
pork stored at a fridge temp in the mid-30°F range will last four or
five days before any spoilage scents begin to emerge. That's why cut
meats have sell-by dates on them that are more than a day away.

Pastorio

Well....Good advice or not...It works well with me !!....I have been cooking
food and handling it now for nearly 60 years !!..

Bigbazza

Bob (this one)

Bigbazza wrote:

> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message=20
> Bigbazza wrote:
>=20
>>"Steve Lee" > wrote in message=20
. ..

>>>I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed=

>>>to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.
>>>
>>>Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
>>>describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
>>>cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
>>>you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
>>>handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
>>>encoutered this before?

>=20
> Yes. It's the smell of pork.
>=20
>>>I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
>>>this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
>>>something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.
>>>
>>>Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
>>>strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
>>>courtesy.

>=20
> This is totally subjective issue. That smell is the smell of the meat.
> Nothing much to do about it. Heavy seasoning, smoking, grilling
> outdoors and other such remedies can mask the scent, but why bother.
> It sounds like you don't like pork. Don't eat pork. Try some milder
> meats like rabbit or alligator.
>=20
>>Like Bob say's 'Refrigeration'....If you leave the pork longer than a=

=20
>>day or so..It will develop that 'smell' about it and you will notice it=

=20
>>whilst cooking it then!!...It's not necessarily 'off'...but develops a =

>>stronger smell about it !!
>>
>>If buying 'Pork' to use longer than a day...'Freeze ' it or put in a=20
>>marinade until the next day only....

>=20
> This is not good advice. Too sweeping. Pork in cryopackaging will last
> up to 45 days from pack date without any problems. Most freshly cut
> pork stored at a fridge temp in the mid-30=B0F range will last four or
> five days before any spoilage scents begin to emerge. That's why cut
> meats have sell-by dates on them that are more than a day away.
>=20
> Pastorio
>=20
> Well....Good advice or not...It works well with me !!....I have been co=

oking=20
> food and handling it now for nearly 60 years !!..

I'm happy for you. Except for that "I have to be right" part.

I had my first restaurant job in 1953. We did things differently than=20
you do, it would seem. The other different thing we did and I've=20
always done is to read about food science while taking professional=20
training.

Your advice is like telling somebody they have to consume that milk on=20
the first day they buy it. No real reason, just "It works well with=20
me" no matter what.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Bigbazza wrote:

> [...]

> five days before any spoilage scents begin to emerge. That's why cut
> meats have sell-by dates on them that are more than a day away.
>=20
> Pastorio
>=20
> Well....Good advice or not...It works well with me !!....I have been co=

oking=20
> food and handling it now for nearly 60 years !!..

I'm happy for you. Except for that "I have to be right" part.

I had my first restaurant job in 1953. We did things differently than=20
you do, it would seem. The other different thing we did and I've=20
always done is to read about food science while taking professional=20
training.

Your advice is like telling somebody they have to consume that milk on=20
the first day they buy it. No real reason, just "It works well with=20

Bigbazza

Bigbazza wrote:

> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> Bigbazza wrote:
>
>>"Steve Lee" > wrote in message
. ..

>>>I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
>>>to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.
>>>
>>>Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
>>>describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
>>>cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
>>>you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
>>>handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
>>>encoutered this before?

> Yes. It's the smell of pork.
>
>>>I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
>>>this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
>>>something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.
>>>
>>>Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
>>>strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
>>>courtesy.

> This is totally subjective issue. That smell is the smell of the meat.
> Nothing much to do about it. Heavy seasoning, smoking, grilling
> outdoors and other such remedies can mask the scent, but why bother.
> It sounds like you don't like pork. Don't eat pork. Try some milder
> meats like rabbit or alligator.
>
>>Like Bob say's 'Refrigeration'....If you leave the pork longer than a
>>day or so..It will develop that 'smell' about it and you will notice it
>>whilst cooking it then!!...It's not necessarily 'off'...but develops a
>>stronger smell about it !!
>>
>>If buying 'Pork' to use longer than a day...'Freeze ' it or put in a
>>marinade until the next day only....

> This is not good advice. Too sweeping. Pork in cryopackaging will last
> up to 45 days from pack date without any problems. Most freshly cut
> pork stored at a fridge temp in the mid-30°F range will last four or
> five days before any spoilage scents begin to emerge. That's why cut
> meats have sell-by dates on them that are more than a day away.
>
> Pastorio
>
> Well....Good advice or not...It works well with me !!....I have been
> cooking food and handling it now for nearly 60 years !!..

I'm happy for you. Except for that "I have to be right" part.

I had my first restaurant job in 1953. We did things differently than
you do, it would seem. The other different thing we did and I've
always done is to read about food science while taking professional
training.

Your advice is like telling somebody they have to consume that milk on
the first day they buy it. No real reason, just "It works well with
me" no matter what.

Pastorio

I also will mention...I am an Idustrial Scientist as well.....I know food
very well...Just thought I would mention it along the way...LOL.....Now I
also must take 'exception' with your .."I have to be right " part.... I said
...That 'WORKS" for me !!...Not that I have to be 'Always Right'
bit...Anyway...You show off your 'Credentials' and I won't 'normally' show
off mine...OK....I was just giving a little advice as I MYSELF find that
'WORKS FOR ME"...Get it !!..I don't have to run into an 'Augument' by giving
what 'Works for me...now DO I !!....This is not a 'Science' Graduate course
we have going here !! IS It ?? It is a home 'Cookery' group...

Bigbazza

Bigbazza

Bigbazza wrote:

> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> Bigbazza wrote:
>
>>"Steve Lee" > wrote in message
. ..

> [...]

Your advice is like telling somebody they have to consume that milk on
the first day they buy it. No real reason, just "It works well with
me" no matter what.

Pastorio

I also will mention...I am an Idustrial Scientist as well.....I know food
very well...Just thought I would mention it along the way...LOL.....Now I
also must take 'exception' with your .."I have to be right " part.... I said
...That 'WORKS" for me !!...Not that I have to be 'Always Right'
bit...Anyway...You show off your 'Credentials' and I won't 'normally' show
off mine...OK....I was just giving a little advice as I MYSELF find that
'WORKS FOR ME"...Get it !!..I don't have to run into an 'Augument' by giving
what 'Works for me...now DO I !!....This is not a 'Science' Graduate course
we have going here !! IS It ?? It is a home 'Cookery' group...

Katra

In article >,
Steve Lee > wrote:

> I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
> to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.
>
> Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
> describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
> cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
> you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
> handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
> encoutered this before?
>

> I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
> this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
> something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.
>
> Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
> strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
> courtesy.

I know what you mean...
I tend to run into this problem when I make shoulder roasts.

I stab the roast all over now and sliver garlic cloves and slip the
slivers of garlic into the stabs. I then top with various herbs before
roasting.

That has eliminated the "musty" porky overtone, especially once the
roast leftovers cool and get re-sliced for later serving.

The garlic pretty well eliminates it. :-)

Just my 2 cents!
--
K.
Katra

In article >,
Steve Lee > wrote:

> I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
> to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.
>
> Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
> describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
> cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
> you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
> handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
> encoutered this before?
>

> I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
> this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
> something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.
>
> Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
> strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
> courtesy.

I know what you mean...
I tend to run into this problem when I make shoulder roasts.

I stab the roast all over now and sliver garlic cloves and slip the
slivers of garlic into the stabs. I then top with various herbs before
roasting.

That has eliminated the "musty" porky overtone, especially once the
roast leftovers cool and get re-sliced for later serving.

The garlic pretty well eliminates it. :-)

Just my 2 cents!
--
K.

Ross Reid

Steve Lee > wrote:

>I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
>to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.
>
>Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
>describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
>cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
>you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
>handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
>encoutered this before?
>

>I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
>this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
>something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.
>
>Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
>strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
>courtesy.

You are probably a person who is more sensitive to what is called
‘boar taint’.
In some pig farming operations, male pigs are not castrated and the
meat from some entire male pigs has an unpleasant taint or odour.
The difficulty lies in determining which meat is from an entire boar
and which from a gilt, when it is on display in the butcher's case.
Ross.
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
Ross Reid

Steve Lee > wrote:

>I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
>to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.
>
>Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
>describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
>cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
>you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
>handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
>encoutered this before?
>

>I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
>this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
>something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.
>
>Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
>strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
>courtesy.

You are probably a person who is more sensitive to what is called
‘boar taint’.
In some pig farming operations, male pigs are not castrated and the
meat from some entire male pigs has an unpleasant taint or odour.
The difficulty lies in determining which meat is from an entire boar
and which from a gilt, when it is on display in the butcher's case.
Ross.
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
Dark Skies

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 18:26:18 -0000, Bubbabob
> wrote:

>Steve Lee > wrote:
>
>> I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
>> to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.
>>
>> Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
>> describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
>> cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
>> you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
>> handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
>> encoutered this before?
>>

>No. Never.

At least it doesn't taste like chicken.

Nancy Young

Steve Lee wrote:

> I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
> to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.
>
> Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
> describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
> cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
> you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
> handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
> encoutered this before?
>
> I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
> this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
> something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.
>
> Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
> strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
> courtesy.

Sounds like my serious aversion to the smell of raw chicken in the
microwave. Smells like peanut butter. Funny thing, I don't mind the
smell of peanut butter unless it's chicken. It's forbidden in this
house, I can tell you that.

nancy
Steve Lee

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 00:50:03 -0500, " BOB" > wrote:

>Steve Lee wrote:
>> I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
>> to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.
>>
>> Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
>> describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
>> cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
>> you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
>> handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
>> encoutered this before?
>>

>> I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
>> this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
>> something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.
>>
>> Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
>> strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
>> courtesy.

>Use proper refrigeration?

Oh, I do though. I keep a thermometer in my fridgerator and it's
usually kept right around 2C - 3C (35F - 37F). I also cook the pork
the day I buy it or the very next day. Never longer than that with
pork, even with strict and proper refrigeration.

Steve Lee

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 08:35:17 -0600, Katra
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Steve Lee > wrote:
>
>> I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
>> to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.
>>
>> Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
>> describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
>> cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
>> you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
>> handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
>> encoutered this before?
>>

>> I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
>> this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
>> something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.
>>
>> Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
>> strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
>> courtesy.

>I know what you mean...
>I tend to run into this problem when I make shoulder roasts.
>
>I stab the roast all over now and sliver garlic cloves and slip the
>slivers of garlic into the stabs. I then top with various herbs before
>roasting.
>
>That has eliminated the "musty" porky overtone, especially once the
>roast leftovers cool and get re-sliced for later serving.
>
>The garlic pretty well eliminates it. :-)
>
>Just my 2 cents!

Thanks for your input, Katra. Really appreciate it. I think I'll try
to use more garlic and see what happens from now on.
Steve Lee

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 09:38:03 -0500, Ross Reid >
wrote:

>Steve Lee > wrote:
>
>>I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
>>to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.
>>
>>Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
>>describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
>>cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
>>you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
>>handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
>>encoutered this before?
>>

>>I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
>>this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
>>something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.
>>
>>Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
>>strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
>>courtesy.

>You are probably a person who is more sensitive to what is called
>‘boar taint’.
>In some pig farming operations, male pigs are not castrated and the
>meat from some entire male pigs has an unpleasant taint or odour.
>The difficulty lies in determining which meat is from an entire boar
>and which from a gilt, when it is on display in the butcher's case.
>Ross.

Thanks for this explanation, Ross. It's always nice to get the nitty
gritty explanation behind these things. Very Alton Brownish :-) I'll
talk to the butchers at the meatshops I patronize and see if they have
any info for me on this. Thanks again.
Katra

In article >,
Steve Lee > wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 08:35:17 -0600, Katra
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Steve Lee > wrote:
> >
> >> I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
> >> to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.
> >>
> >> Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
> >> describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
> >> cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
> >> you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
> >> handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
> >> encoutered this before?
> >>

> >> I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
> >> this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
> >> something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.
> >>
> >> Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
> >> strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
> >> courtesy.

> >I know what you mean...
> >I tend to run into this problem when I make shoulder roasts.
> >
> >I stab the roast all over now and sliver garlic cloves and slip the
> >slivers of garlic into the stabs. I then top with various herbs before
> >roasting.
> >
> >That has eliminated the "musty" porky overtone, especially once the
> >roast leftovers cool and get re-sliced for later serving.
> >
> >The garlic pretty well eliminates it. :-)
> >
> >Just my 2 cents!

> Thanks for your input, Katra. Really appreciate it. I think I'll try
> to use more garlic and see what happens from now on.

Welcome!!! :-)
At the beef prices nowadays, pork is a good alternative and it's easier
for dad to eat since he has bad teeth and refuses to go to a dentist
even tho' I've offered to pay for it! <sigh>

A neat trick with herb toppings for roasts is to use a moist veggie on
top. If the herbs are kept moist, the flavor will also soak into the
stabs. I layer rosemary, basil and thyme over the top, then lay bok choy
leaves over that. The bok choy keeps the herbs from drying out during
roasting.

For pork chops and stuff fried or pan broiled, I use a liberal amount of
olive oil, then flavor with salt free lemon pepper, garlic powder and
onion powder, and lately, shitake mushroom powder that I make myself
from dehydrated/dried shitakes from the thai store. ;-d

If I am grilling, I marinate the chops ahead of time in my current
mood/choice of wishbone salad dressings. Italian or honey dijon work
well. I generally will start the marinating the night before so they
soak for a good 12 to 16 hours at 40 degrees F.

Grill over mesquite coals.

Happy cooking!!!
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Katra

wrote on 11/27/04 9:35 AM:

> > I stab the roast all over now and sliver garlic cloves and slip the
> > slivers of garlic into the stabs. I then top with various herbs before
> > roasting.
> >
> > That has eliminated the "musty" porky overtone, especially once the
> > roast leftovers cool and get re-sliced for later serving.
> >
> > The garlic pretty well eliminates it. :-)
> >
> > Just my 2 cents!

> I just bought a 3.5 lb half a pork shoulder (it says "picnic") @ 79 cents a
> pound.
>
> I knew I wanted to roast it, after marinading it in mojo (it's from a
> bottle....Badia brand. A fine purveyor of Caribbean seasonings based in
> Miami, available at my local supermarket), but I will do that garlic thing,
> too.
>
> Lots of garlic. Lots of black pepper.
> The mojo...and let it sit overnight.
> Then, I'll pat it dry and rub it all over with mexican oregano, rosemary,
> chili powder mixed with a little bit of ground chipotle for kick.... and
> roast that baby for....that's my question!
>
> How long at 350 or 375 for a 3.5 lb pork shoulder, still on the bone?

That's a pretty small roast. :-)
I'd try it for 30 to 45 minutes at 350, then check it for done-ness by
taking a slice at it. I'm cautious as it's easy to cook a bit more if
undercooked. Overcook and it's ruined. :-P

One of these days, I need to invest in and learn to use a meat
thermometer. That takes the guesswork out of it....
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
PENMART01

Sheryl Rosen writes:

>How long at 350 or 375 for a 3.5 lb pork shoulder, still on the bone?

Slow and long... 300dF, 2-3 hours

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Ken Davey

PENMART01 wrote:
> Sheryl Rosen writes:
>>
>> How long at 350 or 375 for a 3.5 lb pork shoulder, still on the bone?

> Slow and long... 300dF, 2-3 hours

Might work but the taste would be akin to cardboard.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

Ida Slapter

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:38:18 -0500, Sheryl Rosen
> wrote:

>How long at 350 or 375 for a 3.5 lb pork shoulder, still on the bone?

Three hours...............and check to see if it shreds easily with
two forks. It should be off the bone at this point.

Dave Smith

Katra wrote:

> If I am grilling, I marinate the chops ahead of time in my current
> mood/choice of wishbone salad dressings. Italian or honey dijon work
> well. I generally will start the marinating the night before so they
> soak for a good 12 to 16 hours at 40 degrees F.

For grilling, I like to use a dry rub of salt, pepper, a little garlic powder,
some oregano and finely chopped mint. Just mix it together and rub it into the
chops and let them sit for an hour or two. This works best with thinly sliced
chops. 2-3 minutes each side over a hot grill and they turn out tasty and
tender.

Dave Smith

Katra wrote:

> If I am grilling, I marinate the chops ahead of time in my current
> mood/choice of wishbone salad dressings. Italian or honey dijon work
> well. I generally will start the marinating the night before so they
> soak for a good 12 to 16 hours at 40 degrees F.

For grilling, I like to use a dry rub of salt, pepper, a little garlic powder,
some oregano and finely chopped mint. Just mix it together and rub it into the
chops and let them sit for an hour or two. This works best with thinly sliced
chops. 2-3 minutes each side over a hot grill and they turn out tasty and
tender.

Bigbazza

"Ross Reid" > wrote in message
> Steve Lee > wrote:
>
>>I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
>>to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.
>>
>>Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
>>describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
>>cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
>>you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
>>handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
>>encoutered this before?
>>

>>I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
>>this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
>>something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.
>>
>>Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
>>strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
>>courtesy.

> You are probably a person who is more sensitive to what is called
> 'boar taint'.
> In some pig farming operations, male pigs are not castrated and the
> meat from some entire male pigs has an unpleasant taint or odour.
> The difficulty lies in determining which meat is from an entire boar
> and which from a gilt, when it is on display in the butcher's case.
> Ross.
> To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

To add a little bit to this......I 'believe' that the Chinese prefer the
'female' pig....If you go into the Chinese butchers here in Sydney..Oz..You
get all the different cut's of pork...practically no fat to be seen at all
!.....Whenever I have bought pork from those shops...I have always found it
to be the best !...Now..I can't substantiate this 'female' thing...maybe
someone else could have a little more knowledge of it !

Bigbazza

Bigbazza

"Ross Reid" > wrote in message
> Steve Lee > wrote:
>
>>I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
>>to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.
>>
>>Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
>>describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
>>cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
>>you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
>>handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
>>encoutered this before?
>>

>>I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
>>this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
>>something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.
>>
>>Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
>>strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
>>courtesy.

> You are probably a person who is more sensitive to what is called
> 'boar taint'.
> In some pig farming operations, male pigs are not castrated and the
> meat from some entire male pigs has an unpleasant taint or odour.
> The difficulty lies in determining which meat is from an entire boar
> and which from a gilt, when it is on display in the butcher's case.
> Ross.
> To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

To add a little bit to this......I 'believe' that the Chinese prefer the
'female' pig....If you go into the Chinese butchers here in Sydney..Oz..You
get all the different cut's of pork...practically no fat to be seen at all
!.....Whenever I have bought pork from those shops...I have always found it
to be the best !...Now..I can't substantiate this 'female' thing...maybe
someone else could have a little more knowledge of it !

Bigbazza

Pan Ohco

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:38:18 -0500, Sheryl Rosen
> wrote:

>I just bought a 3.5 lb half a pork shoulder (it says "picnic") @ 79 cents a
>pound.
>
>I knew I wanted to roast it, after marinading it in mojo (it's from a
>bottle....Badia brand. A fine purveyor of Caribbean seasonings based in
>Miami, available at my local supermarket), but I will do that garlic thing,
>too.
>
>Lots of garlic. Lots of black pepper.
>The mojo...and let it sit overnight.
>Then, I'll pat it dry and rub it all over with mexican oregano, rosemary,
>chili powder mixed with a little bit of ground chipotle for kick.... and
>roast that baby for....that's my question!
>
>How long at 350 or 375 for a 3.5 lb pork shoulder, still on the bone?

Try it at 250 for about 3 hours. Better would be to use a instant
read thermometer. 160 degrees for slices, 180 to 200 for pulled pork,
shred with two forks. Use the drippings for making gravy.
Pan Ohco
Pan Ohco

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:38:18 -0500, Sheryl Rosen
> wrote:

>I just bought a 3.5 lb half a pork shoulder (it says "picnic") @ 79 cents a
>pound.
>
>I knew I wanted to roast it, after marinading it in mojo (it's from a
>bottle....Badia brand. A fine purveyor of Caribbean seasonings based in
>Miami, available at my local supermarket), but I will do that garlic thing,
>too.
>
>Lots of garlic. Lots of black pepper.
>The mojo...and let it sit overnight.
>Then, I'll pat it dry and rub it all over with mexican oregano, rosemary,
>chili powder mixed with a little bit of ground chipotle for kick.... and
>roast that baby for....that's my question!
>
>How long at 350 or 375 for a 3.5 lb pork shoulder, still on the bone?

Try it at 250 for about 3 hours. Better would be to use a instant
read thermometer. 160 degrees for slices, 180 to 200 for pulled pork,
shred with two forks. Use the drippings for making gravy.
Pan Ohco
Hahabogus

Sheryl Rosen > wrote in
:

> I just bought a 3.5 lb half a pork shoulder (it says "picnic") @ 79
> cents a pound.

These do well in a crockpot...just pre-Brown the meat or not and sprinkle
on a pkg of onion soup powder and crockpot it for 8-10 hrs on low. You
could get fancy and make a raft from say onions or sourkraut to support
the roast off of the bottom of the crock too. Comes out very tender and
delish.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.