Doe John

Default Chicken steak. What is it?

On a whim, I bought 4 lbs of chicken steak at the butchers. Looks like
rib eye steak, but it isn't becasue when I asked for rib eye, the
butcher told me they had club steak, which is rib eye, which is 50
cents more expensive per pound than the chicken steak. I live in the
northeast, so I don't know if this cut of meat is called chicken steak
only where I live.What cut of meat is this? Very little of no fat, and
has a membrane running down the middle.
Barbtail

It's pretty impossible to know exatly what you have- prolly either eye of
round or cross rib roast slices- but it sounds like it's used for making
chicken fried steak- basically breaded or battered meat that is deep or pan
fried and served with country gravy. Yummy. Ask the butcher what cut of meat
they use for their *chicken steak*

*cheers*

Barb Anne

Nancy Dooley

Doe John > wrote in message >. ..
> On a whim, I bought 4 lbs of chicken steak at the butchers. Looks like
> rib eye steak, but it isn't becasue when I asked for rib eye, the
> butcher told me they had club steak, which is rib eye, which is 50
> cents more expensive per pound than the chicken steak. I live in the
> northeast, so I don't know if this cut of meat is called chicken steak
> only where I live.What cut of meat is this? Very little of no fat, and
> has a membrane running down the middle.

It sounds like what we call "cube" steak or "minute" steak - I think
it's a form of round steak.

Maybe the label should have said "chicken-fried steak," since that's
what can be made with what you've got. Only I'd pound (tenderize) it
first.

N.
Nancy Dooley

Doe John > wrote in message >. ..
> On a whim, I bought 4 lbs of chicken steak at the butchers. Looks like
> rib eye steak, but it isn't becasue when I asked for rib eye, the
> butcher told me they had club steak, which is rib eye, which is 50
> cents more expensive per pound than the chicken steak. I live in the
> northeast, so I don't know if this cut of meat is called chicken steak
> only where I live.What cut of meat is this? Very little of no fat, and
> has a membrane running down the middle.

It sounds like what we call "cube" steak or "minute" steak - I think
it's a form of round steak.

Maybe the label should have said "chicken-fried steak," since that's
what can be made with what you've got. Only I'd pound (tenderize) it
first.

N.
Dark Skies

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 08:54:35 -0500, Doe John >
wrote:

Chicken Fried Steak with Cream Gravy

This is how we do it in my part of Ohio. I think it is great with
rice. We make them about 3/8th inch thick x 3 inch wide x 6 inch long.
It fits well on a sourdough sub bun or you can have it naked with the
rice covered in gravy.......drool, drool! D!OH

This recipe calls for cube steaks, but good round steak that you have
asked the butcher to run through the tenderizer or that you have
tenderized yourself with a mallet (can be a real stress reliever) can
be even better. Smack em down to about 3/8th inch thick.

4 tenderized beef cutlets (known in as "cube steak") or 1 round steak,
with fat removed, that you've tenderized yourself (see above)
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
all-purpose flour
cooking oil or melted Crisco or even olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon white pepper

Beat together the egg and milk and set aside. Mix together the salt,
black pepper, paprika and white pepper and sprinkle on both sides of
beef cutlets.

Dredge the cutlets in the flour, shaking off the excess. Then dip each
cutlet in the egg/milk mixture, then back in the flour. (You're going
to get your hands messy here, so take your rings off.) Set cutlets
aside on a piece of waxed paper.

Heat the cooking oil in a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet over
medium-high heat for a few minutes. Oil should be about a half-inch
deep in the pan. Check the temperature with a drop of water; if it
pops and spits back at you, it's ready.

Use a long-handled fork, and carefully place each cutlet into the hot
oil.

Fry cutlets on both sides, turning once, until golden brown. Reduce
heat to low, cover and cook 4 or 5 minutes until cutlets are done
through.
Drain cutlets on paper towels.

Cream Gravy*

After the cutlets are removed from the pan, pour off all but about 2
tablespoons of oil, keeping as many as possible of the browned bits in
the pan. Heat the oil over medium heat until hot.

Sprinkle 3 tablespoons flour (use the left-over flour from the chicken
fried steak recipe (waste not -- want not) in the hot oil. Stir with a
wooden spoon, quickly, to brown the flour.

Gradually stir in 3/4 cup milk and 3/4 cup water, mixed together,
stirring constantly with the wooden spoon and mashing out any lumps.
Lower heat, and gravy will begin to thicken. Continue cooking and
stirring a few minutes until gravy reaches desired thickness. Check
seasonings and add more salt and pepper according to your taste.

* Note to Cream Gravy novices: Gravy-making is an inexact science.
Cream gravy is supposed to be thick, but if you think it's too thick,
add more liquid until you're satisfied with it.
(end)

>On a whim, I bought 4 lbs of chicken steak at the butchers. Looks like
>rib eye steak, but it isn't becasue when I asked for rib eye, the
>butcher told me they had club steak, which is rib eye, which is 50
>cents more expensive per pound than the chicken steak. I live in the
>northeast, so I don't know if this cut of meat is called chicken steak
>only where I live.What cut of meat is this? Very little of no fat, and
>has a membrane running down the middle.

Dark Skies

wrote:

> [...]

Lower heat, and gravy will begin to thicken. Continue cooking and
stirring a few minutes until gravy reaches desired thickness. Check
seasonings and add more salt and pepper according to your taste.

* Note to Cream Gravy novices: Gravy-making is an inexact science.
Cream gravy is supposed to be thick, but if you think it's too thick,
add more liquid until you're satisfied with it.
(end)

>On a whim, I bought 4 lbs of chicken steak at the butchers. Looks like
>rib eye steak, but it isn't becasue when I asked for rib eye, the
>butcher told me they had club steak, which is rib eye, which is 50
>cents more expensive per pound than the chicken steak. I live in the
>northeast, so I don't know if this cut of meat is called chicken steak
>only where I live.What cut of meat is this? Very little of no fat, and

Christine

"Doe John" > wrote in message
> On a whim, I bought 4 lbs of chicken steak at the butchers. Looks like
> rib eye steak, but it isn't becasue when I asked for rib eye, the
> butcher told me they had club steak, which is rib eye, which is 50
> cents more expensive per pound than the chicken steak. I live in the
> northeast, so I don't know if this cut of meat is called chicken steak
> only where I live.What cut of meat is this? Very little of no fat, and
> has a membrane running down the middle.

I too cannot say what cut of meat it might be exactly.

In Texas chicken fried steak is usually round steak that has been
tenderized, fried or deep-fried and topped with cream gravy or sometimes
brown gravy. Most people here prefer the cream gravy and best served with
mashed potatoes. There is an upscale restaurant here in the Houston area
that prepares their chicken fried steak using rib-eyes.

Chris in Pearland, TX

Christine

"Doe John" > wrote in message
> On a whim, I bought 4 lbs of chicken steak at the butchers. Looks like
> rib eye steak, but it isn't becasue when I asked for rib eye, the
> butcher told me they had club steak, which is rib eye, which is 50
> cents more expensive per pound than the chicken steak. I live in the
> northeast, so I don't know if this cut of meat is called chicken steak
> only where I live.What cut of meat is this? Very little of no fat, and
> has a membrane running down the middle.

I too cannot say what cut of meat it might be exactly.

In Texas chicken fried steak is usually round steak that has been
tenderized, fried or deep-fried and topped with cream gravy or sometimes
brown gravy. Most people here prefer the cream gravy and best served with
mashed potatoes. There is an upscale restaurant here in the Houston area
that prepares their chicken fried steak using rib-eyes.

Chris in Pearland, TX

Doe John

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:27:02 GMT, Dark Skies >
wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 08:54:35 -0500, Doe John >
>wrote:
>
> Chicken Fried Steak with Cream Gravy

This sounds great. Will try this tonight for pre-Thanksgiving day meal
with collard greens and rice. Thanks.
Doe John

wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 08:54:35 -0500, Doe John >
>wrote:
>
> Chicken Fried Steak with Cream Gravy

This sounds great. Will try this tonight for pre-Thanksgiving day meal
with collard greens and rice. Thanks.
Sheryl Rosen

in article , Christine at
wrote on 11/24/04 4:03 PM:

> "Doe John" > wrote in message
>> On a whim, I bought 4 lbs of chicken steak at the butchers. Looks like
>> rib eye steak, but it isn't becasue when I asked for rib eye, the
>> butcher told me they had club steak, which is rib eye, which is 50
>> cents more expensive per pound than the chicken steak. I live in the
>> northeast, so I don't know if this cut of meat is called chicken steak
>> only where I live.What cut of meat is this? Very little of no fat, and
>> has a membrane running down the middle.

> I too cannot say what cut of meat it might be exactly.
>
> In Texas chicken fried steak is usually round steak that has been
> tenderized, fried or deep-fried and topped with cream gravy or sometimes
> brown gravy. Most people here prefer the cream gravy and best served with
> mashed potatoes. There is an upscale restaurant here in the Houston area
> that prepares their chicken fried steak using rib-eyes.
>
> Chris in Pearland, TX

NOPE.
It's not cube steak and it's not meant to be "chicken fried" steak.

The tip off to what this thing really is is the "Very little of (sic) no
fat, and has a membrane running down the middle".

That sounds to me very much like Chuck Blade steaks. I never thought of it
as looking like rib eye, but it does sort of resemble a NY Strip (the bigger
side of the t-bone), I guess.

Chuck blade steaks should be braised. They don't require a long braise, but
they get really tender after being braised.

I like to sauté some sliced onions, remove them from the pan, add the
seasoned steaks (salt, pepper, garlic, nothing fancy), sauté them on both
sides with a bit of olive oil or butter, so they are brown. Now add in a
small amount of wine, the onions, a half cup of beef stock, bring to a boil,
reduce heat and simmer about 45 min, until the center gristle begins to melt
away and the meat is fork tender. Herbs can be added during the final 15-20
minutes. Savory is nice. Remove meat from skillet and either reduce the
sauce over medium high heat, or thicken with starch of your choice (I prefer
potato starch).

Serve with mashed potatoes and a vegetable.

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 12:39:19 -0500, Sheryl Rosen

wrote on 11/24/04 4:03 PM:

>> "Doe John" > wrote in message
>>> On a whim, I bought 4 lbs of chicken steak at the butchers. Looks like
>>> rib eye steak, but it isn't becasue when I asked for rib eye, the
>>> butcher told me they had club steak, which is rib eye, which is 50
>>> cents more expensive per pound than the chicken steak. I live in the
>>> northeast, so I don't know if this cut of meat is called chicken steak
>>> only where I live.What cut of meat is this? Very little of no fat, and
>>> has a membrane running down the middle.

>> I too cannot say what cut of meat it might be exactly.
>>
>> In Texas chicken fried steak is usually round steak that has been
>> tenderized, fried or deep-fried and topped with cream gravy or sometimes
>> brown gravy. Most people here prefer the cream gravy and best served with
>> mashed potatoes. There is an upscale restaurant here in the Houston area
>> that prepares their chicken fried steak using rib-eyes.
>>
>> Chris in Pearland, TX
>>

>NOPE.
>It's not cube steak and it's not meant to be "chicken fried" steak.
>
>The tip off to what this thing really is is the "Very little of (sic) no
>fat, and has a membrane running down the middle".
>
>That sounds to me very much like Chuck Blade steaks. I never thought of it
>as looking like rib eye, but it does sort of resemble a NY Strip (the bigger
>side of the t-bone), I guess.
>
>Chuck blade steaks should be braised. They don't require a long braise, but
>they get really tender after being braised.
>
>I like to sauté some sliced onions, remove them from the pan, add the
>seasoned steaks (salt, pepper, garlic, nothing fancy), sauté them on both
>sides with a bit of olive oil or butter, so they are brown. Now add in a
>small amount of wine, the onions, a half cup of beef stock, bring to a boil,
>reduce heat and simmer about 45 min, until the center gristle begins to melt
>away and the meat is fork tender. Herbs can be added during the final 15-20

Is this a published recipe?

>minutes. Savory is nice. Remove meat from skillet and either reduce the
>sauce over medium high heat, or thicken with starch of your choice (I prefer
>potato starch).
>
>Serve with mashed potatoes and a vegetable.

Chicken Fried Steak vs. Country Fried Steak Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 1 15-05-2006 02:00 PM
Country Fried Steak, was chicken fried steak last week itsjoannotjoann General Cooking 25 15-05-2006 11:10 AM
Chicken fried steak Nancy Young General Cooking 67 06-05-2006 12:30 PM
chicken fried steak Tim Recipes 0 03-05-2005 04:41 PM
chicken fried steak Dimitri General Cooking 42 28-11-2004 05:07 AM