Karen Gonzalez

Default Mandoline for scalloped potatoes?

Hi everybody,

I'd like to find an easy way to slice potatoes for scalloped potatoes
(about 1/8" thin). I have a mini food processor, and I need to cut the
potatoes before they can fit in the chute and the potatoes don't look
as pretty anymore (I don't mind doing this for apple pie, but
scalloped potatoes look so nice when cut nicely!). They also come out
a bit thinner than they need to. I don't want to spend a fortune and I
have very little room left in my kitchen (I live in an apartment). Any
suggestions on mandolines or other gadgets? I'll appreciate names of
brands and stores

Bed Bath and Beyond has 2 types of mandolines in their website:
"Zyliss® Safety Rail-Guided Mandoline Vegetable and Fruit Slicer" for
$49.99 and "V-Plus Mandoline Slicer" for $29.99. Has anyone use any of
these for scalloped potatoes? Are they safe to use? Would potatoes
come out to thin? Is the Zyliss worth the extra $20?

Thanks a lot!
Karen
MEow

While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, Karen Gonzalez of
http://groups.google.com said:

>Bed Bath and Beyond has 2 types of mandolines in their website:
>"Zyliss® Safety Rail-Guided Mandoline Vegetable and Fruit Slicer" for
>$49.99 and "V-Plus Mandoline Slicer" for $29.99. Has anyone use any of
>these for scalloped potatoes? Are they safe to use? Would potatoes
>come out to thin? Is the Zyliss worth the extra $20?

I have a Zyliss mandoline and am very pleased with it. It's not the same
kind, it's a gourmet something, but it's safe enough for me despite the
mild chronic tremors I'm born with; so if it's safe for me to use, I
imagine their mandolines to be safe enough for you to use too, unless
you have a bigger disability than me.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Frogleg

On 12 Feb 2004 05:14:52 -0800, (Karen
Gonzalez) wrote:

>I'd like to find an easy way to slice potatoes for scalloped potatoes
>(about 1/8" thin). I have a mini food processor, and I need to cut the
>potatoes before they can fit in the chute and the potatoes don't look
>as pretty anymore (I don't mind doing this for apple pie, but
>scalloped potatoes look so nice when cut nicely!). They also come out
>a bit thinner than they need to. I don't want to spend a fortune and I
>have very little room left in my kitchen (I live in an apartment). Any
>suggestions on mandolines or other gadgets? I'll appreciate names of
>brands and stores

I have what appears to be identical to:

http://kitchen.mainseek.com/4R1P576K...ne-Slicer.html

Having seen 'manuals for use' of $160 mandolines, I think a certain
amount of dexterity/practice is necessary for all sorts. Mine has 3
little (1 reversable) triangular inserts for various slicing
thicknesses, and does very nice about 1/8" and 3/8" julienne. Use the
pusher! All these suckers are *very* sharp and go through fingers just
as easily as carrots! I'm also very cautious when (hand) washing.

As for storage, mine lives on a windowsill along with my box grater.
Mr. Wizard

"Karen Gonzalez" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'd like to find an easy way to slice potatoes for scalloped potatoes
> (about 1/8" thin).

> Bed Bath and Beyond has 2 types of mandolines in their website:
> "Zyliss® Safety Rail-Guided Mandoline Vegetable and Fruit Slicer" for
> $49.99 and "V-Plus Mandoline Slicer" for $29.99. Has anyone use any of
> these for scalloped potatoes? Are they safe to use? Would potatoes
> come out to thin? Is the Zyliss worth the extra $20?

The Zyliss is just super. It's so easy to change cutters.
Yes it is worth the extra $20.00

Boron Elgar

Gonzalez) wrote:

>Hi everybody,
>
>I'd like to find an easy way to slice potatoes for scalloped potatoes
>(about 1/8" thin). I have a mini food processor, and I need to cut the
>potatoes before they can fit in the chute and the potatoes don't look
>as pretty anymore (I don't mind doing this for apple pie, but
>scalloped potatoes look so nice when cut nicely!). They also come out
>a bit thinner than they need to. I don't want to spend a fortune and I
>have very little room left in my kitchen (I live in an apartment). Any
>suggestions on mandolines or other gadgets? I'll appreciate names of
>brands and stores
>
>Bed Bath and Beyond has 2 types of mandolines in their website:
>"Zyliss® Safety Rail-Guided Mandoline Vegetable and Fruit Slicer" for
>$49.99 and "V-Plus Mandoline Slicer" for $29.99. Has anyone use any of
>these for scalloped potatoes? Are they safe to use? Would potatoes
>come out to thin? Is the Zyliss worth the extra $20?
>
>Thanks a lot!
>Karen

Though I cannot tell you anything about the specific mandolines you
mention, I have a plastic one from Italy that cost me under $10. It is
all plastic except for the blade & prongs on the food holder. I used
it 3 days ago for scalloped potatoes. It took no more than 5 minutes
for 5 lbs & that including layering them as I went.

Mine slices thin, but that is the exactly the way I like it. I am not
sure how thick or thin you prefer your to be cut.

And it all goes into the dishwasher.

Boron

Janet Bostwick

"Karen Gonzalez" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'd like to find an easy way to slice potatoes for scalloped potatoes
> (about 1/8" thin). I have a mini food processor, and I need to cut the
> potatoes before they can fit in the chute and the potatoes don't look
> as pretty anymore (I don't mind doing this for apple pie, but
> scalloped potatoes look so nice when cut nicely!). They also come out
> a bit thinner than they need to. I don't want to spend a fortune and I
> have very little room left in my kitchen (I live in an apartment). Any
> suggestions on mandolines or other gadgets? I'll appreciate names of
> brands and stores
>
> Bed Bath and Beyond has 2 types of mandolines in their website:
> "Zyliss® Safety Rail-Guided Mandoline Vegetable and Fruit Slicer" for
> $49.99 and "V-Plus Mandoline Slicer" for $29.99. Has anyone use any of
> these for scalloped potatoes? Are they safe to use? Would potatoes
> come out to thin? Is the Zyliss worth the extra $20?
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Karen

The V-Slicer that I purchased over 10 years ago has a reversible panel that
adjusts all cutting/slicing to either thick or thin.

Nancree

>> I'd like to find an easy way to slice potatoes for scalloped potatoes
-----------------------------
Do you have one of those graters that is box-shaped? You know, there is a
different grating size on each of the four sides? Well, one side is for
slicing things like, yes, potatoes. Works just fine. Not expensive. Goes in
the dishwasher.
----Nancree
Brian Macke

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 05:14:52 -0800, Karen Gonzalez wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'd like to find an easy way to slice potatoes for scalloped potatoes
> (about 1/8" thin).

> [ ... ]

> I don't want to spend a fortune and I have very little room left in my
> kitchen (I live in an apartment). Any suggestions on mandolines or other
> gadgets? I'll appreciate names of brands and stores

I use this one, and it fits your requirements nicely:

http://www.kitchenetc.com/Products.cfm?sku=000566239

Good for scalloped potatoes, potato chips, onions, carrots, and fingers.

I seem to remember some piece of plastic that came with it, but I'm not
sure. I figure if I cooked in a place where OSHA cared, I might use it.

--
-Brian James Macke
"In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which

Brian Macke

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:09:30 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I'd carefully use a sharp knife and go out to lunch a couple times on
> the $50 (or $30).

And good money says that those restaurants use mandolines rather than
knife skills. As someone that makes scalloped potatoes regularly, I'd
rather spend $25 on a decent mandoline that is in the dishwasher every
night than to waste an hour slicing seven pounds of potatoes. Sure I might
get it done in less time if I didn't care if the slices weren't all
exactly the same thickness. But maybe it's my dislike of undercooked
potatoes in my food.

Your choice, of course.

--
-Brian James Macke
"In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which
builds it." -- Unknown

Mpoconnor7

>Any
>suggestions on mandolines or other gadgets? I'll appreciate names of
>brands and stores

I went to a gourmet food store a while back and bought a cheap twelve dollar
mandolin-type slicer that works well for slicing and shredding potatoes and
onions and shaving ham; I don't remember the brand name but it was german and
it comes apart easy and is dishwasher safe. A real mandolin can cost over a
hundred bucks.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".
Randy Marshall

Go to a second hand store and get a 70's era vegamatic ,maybe ebay

Stark Raven

In article >, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> The V-Slicer that I purchased over 10 years ago has a reversible panel that
> adjusts all cutting/slicing to either thick or thin.

Mine too, but thick is too thick and thin, too thin. I mean
unbelievably thin. So for tweeners I usually resort to knife and the
V-Slicer remains in its box.
Frogleg

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:09:30 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Karen Gonzalez) wrote:
>
>> I'd like to find an easy way to slice potatoes for scalloped potatoes

>I'd carefully use a sharp knife and go out to lunch a couple times on
>the $50 (or $30). JMO.

You're really out of the loop, Barb. A gen-u-wine upscale mandoline is
around $160.

However, for uniform slices (and jullienne) a $10 gadget isn't a bad
investment.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Frogleg
> wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:09:30 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >Karen Gonzalez) wrote:
> >
> >> I'd like to find an easy way to slice potatoes for scalloped potatoes

> >I'd carefully use a sharp knife and go out to lunch a couple times on
> >the $50 (or $30). JMO.

> You're really out of the loop, Barb. A gen-u-wine upscale mandoline is
> around $160.

Do tell. :-)

> However, for uniform slices (and jullienne) a $10 gadget isn't a bad
> investment.

No doubt. One more gizmo I don't have room for that would wind up on my
already cluttered countertop. My daughter rolls hre eyes all the time
at the crap that's there. I like ready access. When I can find what
I'm looking for.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

Melba's Jammin'

In article > , "Brian
Macke" > wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:09:30 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > I'd carefully use a sharp knife and go out to lunch a couple times on
> > the $50 (or $30).

> And good money says that those restaurants use mandolines rather than
> knife skills. As someone that makes scalloped potatoes regularly, I'd
> rather spend $25 on a decent mandoline that is in the dishwasher every
> night than to waste an hour slicing seven pounds of potatoes. Sure I might
> get it done in less time if I didn't care if the slices weren't all
> exactly the same thickness. But maybe it's my dislike of undercooked
> potatoes in my food.

Sure. If I were making restaurant portions of scalloped potatoes on a
regular and frequent basis, I'd have one, too.

An hour to slice 7# of spuds? You need to improve your technique. "-)
I use about 1-1/2 pounds (3 large spuds) for a batch for us (two
people). I can slice them with a knife in less than 5 minutes. Add
another 3 minutes for peeling them.

> Your choice, of course.

Ain't it always.

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.
kilikini

(snip)

> An hour to slice 7# of spuds? You need to improve your technique. "-)
> I use about 1-1/2 pounds (3 large spuds) for a batch for us (two
> people). I can slice them with a knife in less than 5 minutes. Add
> another 3 minutes for peeling them.
>
> > Your choice, of course.

> Ain't it always.
>
> > > JMO.

> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

Wow, what's your technique? When I make scallop potatoes, it's always a
HUGE undertaking. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to prepare, another 1 1/2
hours to cook and about 15 minutes to consume. How do you slice your
potatoes thinly and evenly in such a short time? I only use my Henckle
(sp?) knife and my lack-of-skill. LOL.

kilikini

Frogleg

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:20:56 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Frogleg > wrote:

>> However, for uniform slices (and jullienne) a $10 gadget isn't a bad
>> investment.

>No doubt. One more gizmo I don't have room for that would wind up on my
>already cluttered countertop. My daughter rolls hre eyes all the time
>at the crap that's there. I like ready access. When I can find what
>I'm looking for.

I've made a rule that no more gadgets will come into my kitchen until
an un- or underused item of similar size moves out. The 'automatic
tortilla masher/cooker' displaced a complicated rice cooker. I'm not
sure what fringe benefits I've acquired by trading down (in size and
cost) vis-a-vis food processor. The real problems are those things
enjoyed from time to time, but which can't be considered as
"essential." I *do* enjoy making pasta, but it's not a staple. Still,
I'm keepin' my pasta machine. But there's a lot in cupboards and
drawers I haven't investigated more than the top layer of in years.
Funny what we keep. I have some very nice copper & brass measuring
cups hanging in the kitchen, full of spiderwebs and dead moths now, I
suppose. I measure with a couple of cheap plastic cups in the
cupboard. The mandoline is unobtrusive, and I *do* use it from time to
time.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "kilikini"
> wrote:

> (snip)
> >
> > An hour to slice 7# of spuds? You need to improve your technique. "-)
> > I use about 1-1/2 pounds (3 large spuds) for a batch for us (two
> > people). I can slice them with a knife in less than 5 minutes. Add
> > another 3 minutes for peeling them.
> >
> > > Your choice, of course.

> > Ain't it always.

> > --
> > -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

> Wow, what's your technique? When I make scallop potatoes, it's always a
> HUGE undertaking. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to prepare,

HUH?

>another 1 1/2 hours to cook and about 15 minutes to consume. How do
>you slice your potatoes thinly and evenly in such a short time? I
>only use my Henckle (sp?) knife and my lack-of-skill. LOL.

> kilikini

Certainly, a lot depends on the quantity of spuds one's making. We're
two at table. Three large spuds (they weighed out to 1# 6 oz)does it
with some leftover. My scalloped potatoes consist of sliced (my SIL
likes cubed) spuds layered with a bit of sliced onion and white sauce.
I make the white sauce while prepping the spuds. While the oven is
heating. Spuds, onions, white sauce, spuds, white sauce. Bake for an
hour at about 350, covered for 45 minutes, uncovered for the last 15.

I've still got ham leftover -- maybe I'll make some scalloped potatoes
to prove I'm kidding myself that I can do it in less than 3 hours start
to table.

This is getting curiouser and curiouser. :-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.
kilikini

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
> > (snip)

> Certainly, a lot depends on the quantity of spuds one's making. We're
> two at table. Three large spuds (they weighed out to 1# 6 oz)does it
> with some leftover. My scalloped potatoes consist of sliced (my SIL
> likes cubed) spuds layered with a bit of sliced onion and white sauce.
> I make the white sauce while prepping the spuds. While the oven is
> heating. Spuds, onions, white sauce, spuds, white sauce. Bake for an
> hour at about 350, covered for 45 minutes, uncovered for the last 15.
>
> I've still got ham leftover -- maybe I'll make some scalloped potatoes
> to prove I'm kidding myself that I can do it in less than 3 hours start
> to table.
>
> This is getting curiouser and curiouser. :-)
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

We're three at the table, but my roommate eats enough for FIVE. I usually
slice at least 8 large potatoes, layered with a couple of different kinds of
shredded cheese (I'll go through 3 cheese packages), and then I pour the
white sauce over. So, spuds, cheese, spuds, cheese, spuds, cheese, spuds,
cheese, white sauce over all. Then I bake at 350 for about 1 1/2 hours. I
make a full lasagna pan size and we usually don't have any leftovers. Oh, I
usually add a little nutmeg in my white sauce. I think it makes the dish
*richer* tasting. Has anyone else ever tried that? It's really good!

Kilikini

rmp

Check out Fri 13 Wall Street Journal, personal section. They had a review. A
cheap Berniner or some such japanese made was considered the best.

"Karen Gonzalez" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'd like to find an easy way to slice potatoes for scalloped potatoes
> (about 1/8" thin). I have a mini food processor, and I need to cut the
> potatoes before they can fit in the chute and the potatoes don't look
> as pretty anymore (I don't mind doing this for apple pie, but
> scalloped potatoes look so nice when cut nicely!). They also come out
> a bit thinner than they need to. I don't want to spend a fortune and I
> have very little room left in my kitchen (I live in an apartment). Any
> suggestions on mandolines or other gadgets? I'll appreciate names of
> brands and stores
>
> Bed Bath and Beyond has 2 types of mandolines in their website:
> "Zyliss® Safety Rail-Guided Mandoline Vegetable and Fruit Slicer" for
> $49.99 and "V-Plus Mandoline Slicer" for $29.99. Has anyone use any of
> these for scalloped potatoes? Are they safe to use? Would potatoes
> come out to thin? Is the Zyliss worth the extra $20?
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Karen

blake murphy

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:26:26 GMT, Frogleg > wrote:

>As for storage, mine lives on a windowsill along with my box grater.

a good place for it. i ignored my grater in favor of the food
processor, but i'm coming back to it.

your pal,
blake
Goomba38

kilikini wrote:

> We're three at the table, but my roommate eats enough for FIVE. I usually
> slice at least 8 large potatoes, layered with a couple of different kinds of
> shredded cheese (I'll go through 3 cheese packages), and then I pour the
> white sauce over. So, spuds, cheese, spuds, cheese, spuds, cheese, spuds,
> cheese, white sauce over all. Then I bake at 350 for about 1 1/2 hours. I
> make a full lasagna pan size and we usually don't have any leftovers. Oh, I
> usually add a little nutmeg in my white sauce. I think it makes the dish
> *richer* tasting. Has anyone else ever tried that? It's really good!

Yes, I always add a dash of nutmeg to cream sauces. I rarely want cheese in my
scalloped potatoes though. I like the simple richness of a classic scalloped
potato and don't need that much more to make me happy.

Frogleg

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 02:56:15 GMT, blake murphy >
wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:26:26 GMT, Frogleg > wrote:
>>
>>As for storage, mine lives on a windowsill along with my box grater.

>a good place for it. i ignored my grater in favor of the food
>processor, but i'm coming back to it.

I use the box grater all the time, being fond of cheese in everything
except fudge. Years ago I had a dime-store one I must have spent
(total) *hours* scrubbing and cleaning. In a Flash of Brilliance, I
suddenly realized there were stainless models available. Nice to have
an 'appliance' that requires no electricity, is easy to clean, has
never been sharpened or repaired, and cost (amortized so far) about 10
cents per year of use. However, for large quantities or multiple
similar chores, I use the FP. My record utilization was a quiche: I
mixed the pastry dough and prepared the shell. Then sliced onions and
mushrooms. Grated cheese. Then mixed the egg-milk stuff. All
operations without any need for cleaning in between. Well worth
getting the critter out of the cupboard, and doing the final
washing-up.
Curly Sue

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 02:09:50 GMT, "rmp" > wrote:

>Check out Fri 13 Wall Street Journal, personal section. They had a review. A
>cheap Berniner or some such japanese made was considered the best.

From the cited article:
"So we were grateful for our smallest mandoline of all, a Japanese
model from Bridge Kitchenware. As we held this little washboard-shaped
gadget on our cutting board (no stand here) we felt more in control.
We could adjust the width of our slices by simply turning a knob. It
comes with a safety guard, but our hands felt safe without it. But
best of all, it was the sharpest. We made consistent, super-thin cuts
-- we could practically see through our cucumber salad -- much faster
than we would with a knife.
---

STORE/PRICE/PHONE: Bridge Kitchenware; Benriner mandoline, small;
$35;800-274-3435; Bridgekitchenware.comQUALITY: Best Overall, Best
Value. Compact (3 1/2 x 12 inches) and easy to use, with sharpest
blade (it's not removable, though, as some others'blades). With one
straight edge, three julienne blades."
Sue(tm)

texpat

I have the Zyliss Slicer, and I love it. I don't know how it would hold up
if you were cooking for a crowd every day, but for occasional use, it's
great.

http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
> "[The Blues] is the kind of music that doesn't
> mince words -- it gets right to it." -Bonnie Raitt

scalloped potatoes tert in seattle General Cooking 27 22-10-2010 11:48 AM
Scalloped Potatoes and Ham Sharon[_3_] Recipes (moderated) 0 15-05-2007 02:56 PM
Scalloped Potatoes Duckie ® Recipes 0 29-05-2005 02:47 PM
Scalloped Potatoes and Ham Ruth Recipes (moderated) 0 12-12-2004 07:03 PM
Scalloped Potatoes Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 03-11-2004 12:54 PM