Zspider

Default Lamb for gyros?

Lamb is the usual meat in a gyros sandwich, isn't it? I did
a lamb shish kabob here recently that the family liked, but
besides that I don't have any experience with lamb.

How would I prepare lamb for gyros? When it finally goes on
the sandwich it is sliced thin, cooked dark, and seasoned
heavily. I'd like to try that!

If I'm clueless and lamb isn't what is used on a gyros, what
type of meat is and how should I prepare it?

Thank you, Michael
George Shirley

Zspider wrote:
> Lamb is the usual meat in a gyros sandwich, isn't it? I did
> a lamb shish kabob here recently that the family liked, but
> besides that I don't have any experience with lamb.
>
> How would I prepare lamb for gyros? When it finally goes on
> the sandwich it is sliced thin, cooked dark, and seasoned
> heavily. I'd like to try that!
>
> If I'm clueless and lamb isn't what is used on a gyros, what
> type of meat is and how should I prepare it?
>
> Thank you, Michael

You can use either lamb or beef, I use beef because lamb is very
expensive in my area. The best gyros, aka shwarmas, the meat is sliced
thin, stacked on a vertical spit, roasted with a gas fire while the spit
turns moderately slow. As the meat gets done it is sliced straight down
and the pieces put in pita bread, or as they did in Saudi Arabia, on a
hot dog bun (surprisingly good that way). The spices on the ones I had
in the Middle East, Greece, and Israel were mixed in with the sauce. The
sauce was a type of mayo with the appropriate spices added to it. I
couldn't eat more than 4 or 5 at time back then. <VBG>

One of the best shwarmas I ever had was at the King David shwarma shop
in Amsterdam, just down the street from the Arthur Frommer Hotel and
very near the trolley stop I used for getting around town.

I'm sure you can find many recipes on line. If you can't find a decent
"Arabic spices" recipe drop me a line and I will copy a recipe out of my
Arabic foods cookbook.

George

George Shirley

Zspider wrote:
> Lamb is the usual meat in a gyros sandwich, isn't it? I did
> a lamb shish kabob here recently that the family liked, but
> besides that I don't have any experience with lamb.
>
> How would I prepare lamb for gyros? When it finally goes on
> the sandwich it is sliced thin, cooked dark, and seasoned
> heavily. I'd like to try that!
>
> If I'm clueless and lamb isn't what is used on a gyros, what
> type of meat is and how should I prepare it?
>
> Thank you, Michael

You can use either lamb or beef, I use beef because lamb is very
expensive in my area. The best gyros, aka shwarmas, the meat is sliced
thin, stacked on a vertical spit, roasted with a gas fire while the spit
turns moderately slow. As the meat gets done it is sliced straight down
and the pieces put in pita bread, or as they did in Saudi Arabia, on a
hot dog bun (surprisingly good that way). The spices on the ones I had
in the Middle East, Greece, and Israel were mixed in with the sauce. The
sauce was a type of mayo with the appropriate spices added to it. I
couldn't eat more than 4 or 5 at time back then. <VBG>

One of the best shwarmas I ever had was at the King David shwarma shop
in Amsterdam, just down the street from the Arthur Frommer Hotel and
very near the trolley stop I used for getting around town.

I'm sure you can find many recipes on line. If you can't find a decent
"Arabic spices" recipe drop me a line and I will copy a recipe out of my
Arabic foods cookbook.

George

Louis Cohen

Lamb always comes out great on a rotisserie - if you have access to one, cut
little slits in a leg of lamb (preferably bone-in) and insert slice of
garlic. Rub on some olive oil and sprinkle oregano on the lamb and cook.

If you don't have a roto, just roast in the oven. If you have a boneless
leg, unroll it, put it between sheets of plastic wrap, and pound it to an
even thickness, and then grill it on the BBQ like a big steak or under the
broiler.

Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Zspider" > wrote in message
om...
> Lamb is the usual meat in a gyros sandwich, isn't it? I did
> a lamb shish kabob here recently that the family liked, but
> besides that I don't have any experience with lamb.
>
> How would I prepare lamb for gyros? When it finally goes on
> the sandwich it is sliced thin, cooked dark, and seasoned
> heavily. I'd like to try that!
>
> If I'm clueless and lamb isn't what is used on a gyros, what
> type of meat is and how should I prepare it?
>
> Thank you, Michael

Louis Cohen

Lamb always comes out great on a rotisserie - if you have access to one, cut
little slits in a leg of lamb (preferably bone-in) and insert slice of
garlic. Rub on some olive oil and sprinkle oregano on the lamb and cook.

If you don't have a roto, just roast in the oven. If you have a boneless
leg, unroll it, put it between sheets of plastic wrap, and pound it to an
even thickness, and then grill it on the BBQ like a big steak or under the
broiler.

Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Zspider" > wrote in message
om...
> Lamb is the usual meat in a gyros sandwich, isn't it? I did
> a lamb shish kabob here recently that the family liked, but
> besides that I don't have any experience with lamb.
>
> How would I prepare lamb for gyros? When it finally goes on
> the sandwich it is sliced thin, cooked dark, and seasoned
> heavily. I'd like to try that!
>
> If I'm clueless and lamb isn't what is used on a gyros, what
> type of meat is and how should I prepare it?
>
> Thank you, Michael

notbob

On 2004-11-23, George Shirley > wrote:
> Zspider wrote:

> You can use either lamb or beef, I use beef because lamb is very
> expensive in my area. The best gyros, aka shwarmas, the meat is sliced
> thin, stacked on a vertical spit, roasted with a gas fire while the spit
> turns moderately slow. As the meat gets done it is sliced straight down
> and the pieces put in pita bread.....

All the gyro/shwarma meat I ever encountered on these spits in local eateries
looks like some kind of pre-ground processed meat product. It certainly
isn't leg of lamb. I've noticed a similar vertspit/procmeat thingie in
local taquerias. What are these?

nb
Richard Kaszeta

notbob > writes:
> All the gyro/shwarma meat I ever encountered on these spits in local eateries
> looks like some kind of pre-ground processed meat product. It certainly
> isn't leg of lamb.

Yes, it's usually the infamous Kronos Gyrokone[tm],
http://www.kronosproducts.com/pages/products_frame.htm, or one of their competitors.

However, I do know of some gyro joints that do actual cuts of meat on
the spit, but they are a rare find.

>I've noticed a similar vertspit/procmeat thingie in
>local taquerias. What are these?

"Taco al pastor" is the classic Mexican-as-in-Mexico way of producing
the tacos. They are actually pork most of the time.

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
Dave Smith

Zspider wrote:

> Lamb is the usual meat in a gyros sandwich, isn't it? I did
> a lamb shish kabob here recently that the family liked, but
> besides that I don't have any experience with lamb.
>
> How would I prepare lamb for gyros? When it finally goes on
> the sandwich it is sliced thin, cooked dark, and seasoned
> heavily. I'd like to try that!
>
> If I'm clueless and lamb isn't what is used on a gyros, what
> type of meat is and how should I prepare it?

Gyros is ground lamb, spiced and baked in a pan. There were lots of
recipes for it available on the net.

Dave Smith

Zspider wrote:

> Lamb is the usual meat in a gyros sandwich, isn't it? I did
> a lamb shish kabob here recently that the family liked, but
> besides that I don't have any experience with lamb.
>
> How would I prepare lamb for gyros? When it finally goes on
> the sandwich it is sliced thin, cooked dark, and seasoned
> heavily. I'd like to try that!
>
> If I'm clueless and lamb isn't what is used on a gyros, what
> type of meat is and how should I prepare it?

Gyros is ground lamb, spiced and baked in a pan. There were lots of
recipes for it available on the net.

PENMART01

>Dave Smith writes:
>
>Zspider wrote:
>
>> Lamb is the usual meat in a gyros sandwich, isn't it? I did
>> a lamb shish kabob here recently that the family liked, but
>> besides that I don't have any experience with lamb.
>>
>> How would I prepare lamb for gyros? When it finally goes on
>> the sandwich it is sliced thin, cooked dark, and seasoned
>> heavily. I'd like to try that!
>>
>> If I'm clueless and lamb isn't what is used on a gyros, what
>> type of meat is and how should I prepare it?

> Gyros is ground lamb, spiced and baked in a pan.

Usually ground lamb but can also be beef/goat, but it's not baked in a pan...
gyro is roasted on a vertical *rotating* spit... rotating, hence the name
"gyro".

Oxford

gyro

noun (PL. -os) N. Amer. a sandwich made with slices of spiced meat cooked on a
spit, served with salad in pitta bread.

€”ORIGIN 1970s: from modern Greek guros 'turning'.
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>Dave Smith writes:
>
>Zspider wrote:
>
>> Lamb is the usual meat in a gyros sandwich, isn't it? I did
>> a lamb shish kabob here recently that the family liked, but
>> besides that I don't have any experience with lamb.
>>
>> How would I prepare lamb for gyros? When it finally goes on
>> the sandwich it is sliced thin, cooked dark, and seasoned
>> heavily. I'd like to try that!
>>
>> If I'm clueless and lamb isn't what is used on a gyros, what
>> type of meat is and how should I prepare it?

> Gyros is ground lamb, spiced and baked in a pan.

Usually ground lamb but can also be beef/goat, but it's not baked in a pan...
gyro is roasted on a vertical *rotating* spit... rotating, hence the name
"gyro".

Oxford

gyro

noun (PL. -os) N. Amer. a sandwich made with slices of spiced meat cooked on a
spit, served with salad in pitta bread.

€”ORIGIN 1970s: from modern Greek guros 'turning'.
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Becca

Try using ground lamb, ground beef, cumin and lots of garlic.

Becca
Becca

Try using ground lamb, ground beef, cumin and lots of garlic.

Becca
Dave Smith

PENMART01 wrote:

> > Gyros is ground lamb, spiced and baked in a pan.

> Usually ground lamb but can also be beef/goat, but it's not baked in a pan...
> gyro is roasted on a vertical *rotating* spit... rotating, hence the name
> "gyro".

Most of the recipes that I found said to pack it into a loaf pan and bake it. One
suggested sticking a minimum 2 lb weight on it while cooling to compress it. Only
one of them suggested cooking it on a spit, but could also be done in a pan in the
oven. Personally, I was surprised to see the pan idea because I was used to
seeing it on a vertical spit, but those were commercially prepared and being
reheated.

Gyros is great stuff. It seems to be getting more popular here as people learn
about it. I have introduced at least a dozen people to them at local Greek
restaurants and only one person was not impressed.

Dave Smith

PENMART01 wrote:

> > Gyros is ground lamb, spiced and baked in a pan.

> Usually ground lamb but can also be beef/goat, but it's not baked in a pan...
> gyro is roasted on a vertical *rotating* spit... rotating, hence the name
> "gyro".

Most of the recipes that I found said to pack it into a loaf pan and bake it. One
suggested sticking a minimum 2 lb weight on it while cooling to compress it. Only
one of them suggested cooking it on a spit, but could also be done in a pan in the
oven. Personally, I was surprised to see the pan idea because I was used to
seeing it on a vertical spit, but those were commercially prepared and being
reheated.

Gyros is great stuff. It seems to be getting more popular here as people learn
about it. I have introduced at least a dozen people to them at local Greek
restaurants and only one person was not impressed.

PENMART01

>Dave Smith
>
>>PENMART01 wrote:

>>>Dave Smith wrote:
>> > Gyros is ground lamb, spiced and baked in a pan.

>> Usually ground lamb but can also be beef/goat, but it's not baked in a

pan...
>> gyro is roasted on a vertical *rotating* spit... rotating, hence the name
>> "gyro".

>Most of the recipes that I found said to pack it into a loaf pan and bake it.

Um, that's called "meat loaf".

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
George Shirley

notbob wrote:

> On 2004-11-23, George Shirley > wrote:
>
>>Zspider wrote:

>>You can use either lamb or beef, I use beef because lamb is very
>>expensive in my area. The best gyros, aka shwarmas, the meat is sliced
>>thin, stacked on a vertical spit, roasted with a gas fire while the spit
>>turns moderately slow. As the meat gets done it is sliced straight down
>>and the pieces put in pita bread.....

> All the gyro/shwarma meat I ever encountered on these spits in local eateries
> looks like some kind of pre-ground processed meat product. It certainly
> isn't leg of lamb. I've noticed a similar vertspit/procmeat thingie in
> local taquerias. What are these?
>
> nb

I don't know what they're called other than a rotisserie but I've seen
them sold in restaurant supply houses. Our local Arabic restaurant has
one and it has an American Supply house name on it. The ones I saw
overseas all had whole meat on them, nothing processed. Not necessarily
just the leg of the lamb but lots of mutton and goat is eaten in the
Middle East and along the shores of the Med. Sea.

George

George Shirley

notbob wrote:

> On 2004-11-23, George Shirley > wrote:
>
>>Zspider wrote:

>>You can use either lamb or beef, I use beef because lamb is very
>>expensive in my area. The best gyros, aka shwarmas, the meat is sliced
>>thin, stacked on a vertical spit, roasted with a gas fire while the spit
>>turns moderately slow. As the meat gets done it is sliced straight down
>>and the pieces put in pita bread.....

> All the gyro/shwarma meat I ever encountered on these spits in local eateries
> looks like some kind of pre-ground processed meat product. It certainly
> isn't leg of lamb. I've noticed a similar vertspit/procmeat thingie in
> local taquerias. What are these?
>
> nb

I don't know what they're called other than a rotisserie but I've seen
them sold in restaurant supply houses. Our local Arabic restaurant has
one and it has an American Supply house name on it. The ones I saw
overseas all had whole meat on them, nothing processed. Not necessarily
just the leg of the lamb but lots of mutton and goat is eaten in the
Middle East and along the shores of the Med. Sea.

George

JimLane

Dave Smith wrote:
> Zspider wrote:
>

>>Lamb is the usual meat in a gyros sandwich, isn't it? I did
>>a lamb shish kabob here recently that the family liked, but
>>besides that I don't have any experience with lamb.
>>
>>How would I prepare lamb for gyros? When it finally goes on
>>the sandwich it is sliced thin, cooked dark, and seasoned
>>heavily. I'd like to try that!
>>
>>If I'm clueless and lamb isn't what is used on a gyros, what
>>type of meat is and how should I prepare it?

> Gyros is ground lamb, spiced and baked in a pan. There were lots of
> recipes for it available on the net.

All the gyros I had when I lived in Greece ('55-'58) were made from a
ground meat loaf of lamb and beef cooked on a vertical spit. I don't
know how they are done today. And I do not know what the composition of
the gyros you get today in the US is either.

jim
JimLane

Dave Smith wrote:
> Zspider wrote:
>

>>Lamb is the usual meat in a gyros sandwich, isn't it? I did
>>a lamb shish kabob here recently that the family liked, but
>>besides that I don't have any experience with lamb.
>>
>>How would I prepare lamb for gyros? When it finally goes on
>>the sandwich it is sliced thin, cooked dark, and seasoned
>>heavily. I'd like to try that!
>>
>>If I'm clueless and lamb isn't what is used on a gyros, what
>>type of meat is and how should I prepare it?

> Gyros is ground lamb, spiced and baked in a pan. There were lots of
> recipes for it available on the net.

All the gyros I had when I lived in Greece ('55-'58) were made from a
ground meat loaf of lamb and beef cooked on a vertical spit. I don't
know how they are done today. And I do not know what the composition of
the gyros you get today in the US is either.

jim

Dave Smith

PENMART01 wrote:

> >> Usually ground lamb but can also be beef/goat, but it's not baked in a

> pan...
> >> gyro is roasted on a vertical *rotating* spit... rotating, hence the name
> >> "gyro".

> >Most of the recipes that I found said to pack it into a loaf pan and bake it.

> Um, that's called "meat loaf".

I suppose it could be called a meat loaf, but when it is in a recipe for Gyro it
is a Gyro.

Dave Smith

PENMART01 wrote:

> >> Usually ground lamb but can also be beef/goat, but it's not baked in a

> pan...
> >> gyro is roasted on a vertical *rotating* spit... rotating, hence the name
> >> "gyro".

> >Most of the recipes that I found said to pack it into a loaf pan and bake it.

> Um, that's called "meat loaf".

I suppose it could be called a meat loaf, but when it is in a recipe for Gyro it
is a Gyro.

Nancy Young

Dave Smith wrote:

> Gyros is great stuff. It seems to be getting more popular here as people learn
> about it. I have introduced at least a dozen people to them at local Greek
> restaurants and only one person was not impressed.

I love them, but then I also adore fajitas. They have a lot in
common. I really love the tz(whatever) sauce on them. Man,
heartburn on a flour tortilla thing.

I especially remember the first time I had one. First day on the
job, someone felt obligated to take me somewhere for lunch. Went
to the mall (oh, goody) ... she said, let's get gyros like I had
a clue what they were. You were asked, red sauce or white sauce?
She told me, I like the white sauce, so white sauce it was. Only
good thing she ever taught me.

Why don't they get rid of Mickey D's and have a gyro or deli
sandwich drive through? I'd be all over that.

nancy
Nancy Young

Dave Smith wrote:

> Gyros is great stuff. It seems to be getting more popular here as people learn
> about it. I have introduced at least a dozen people to them at local Greek
> restaurants and only one person was not impressed.

I love them, but then I also adore fajitas. They have a lot in
common. I really love the tz(whatever) sauce on them. Man,
heartburn on a flour tortilla thing.

I especially remember the first time I had one. First day on the
job, someone felt obligated to take me somewhere for lunch. Went
to the mall (oh, goody) ... she said, let's get gyros like I had
a clue what they were. You were asked, red sauce or white sauce?
She told me, I like the white sauce, so white sauce it was. Only
good thing she ever taught me.

Why don't they get rid of Mickey D's and have a gyro or deli
sandwich drive through? I'd be all over that.

nancy

PENMART01

>Dave Smith writes:

>> pan...

>name
>> >

>> >Most of the recipes that I found said to pack it into a loaf pan and bake

>it.
>>
>> Um, that's called "meat loaf".

>I suppose it could be called a meat loaf, but when it is in a recipe for Gyro
>it is a Gyro.

By your very own logic if I write "Dave Smith is an idiot" then that alone
makes it so... not to mention that the rest of the world knows you're an idiot
anyway.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>Dave Smith writes:

>> pan...

>name
>> >

>> >Most of the recipes that I found said to pack it into a loaf pan and bake

>it.
>>
>> Um, that's called "meat loaf".

>I suppose it could be called a meat loaf, but when it is in a recipe for Gyro
>it is a Gyro.

By your very own logic if I write "Dave Smith is an idiot" then that alone
makes it so... not to mention that the rest of the world knows you're an idiot
anyway.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Dave Smith

PENMART01 wrote:

> >it.
> >>
> >> Um, that's called "meat loaf".

> >I suppose it could be called a meat loaf, but when it is in a recipe for Gyro
> >it is a Gyro.

> By your very own logic if I write "Dave Smith is an idiot" then that alone
> makes it so... not to mention that the rest of the world knows you're an idiot
> anyway.

Well that is a pretty stupid suggestion, but we are used to those from you. I
guess you didn't bother to Google for Gyro recipes to see that they have to say.

Dave Smith

PENMART01 wrote:

> >it.
> >>
> >> Um, that's called "meat loaf".

> >I suppose it could be called a meat loaf, but when it is in a recipe for Gyro
> >it is a Gyro.

> By your very own logic if I write "Dave Smith is an idiot" then that alone
> makes it so... not to mention that the rest of the world knows you're an idiot
> anyway.

Well that is a pretty stupid suggestion, but we are used to those from you. I
guess you didn't bother to Google for Gyro recipes to see that they have to say.

PENMART01

>Dave Smith wrote:
>
>I guess you didn't bother to Google for Gyro recipes to see that they have to

say.

You see those two "oo"s in Google, that's your IQ.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>Dave Smith wrote:
>
>I guess you didn't bother to Google for Gyro recipes to see that they have to

say.

You see those two "oo"s in Google, that's your IQ.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Barry Grau

Richard Kaszeta > wrote in message >...
> notbob > writes:
> > All the gyro/shwarma meat I ever encountered on these spits in local eateries
> > looks like some kind of pre-ground processed meat product. It certainly
> > isn't leg of lamb.

> Yes, it's usually the infamous Kronos Gyrokone[tm],
> http://www.kronosproducts.com/pages/products_frame.htm, or one of their competitors.

In my experience here in Chicago, gyros is pressed seasoned very
finely ground meat formed into a cone or cylinder and shawarma is thin
slices of seasoned meat. Both are cooked on a vertical split, or
"autodoner", and shaved off for serving. There's a place in my
neighborhood, Optimal Automatic, that sells autodoners:

<http://chicago.agrino.org/greek_restaurant_supplies.htm>

(Scroll down to #8).

> However, I do know of some gyro joints that do actual cuts of meat on
> the spit, but they are a rare find.
>
> >I've noticed a similar vertspit/procmeat thingie in
> >local taquerias. What are these?

> "Taco al pastor" is the classic Mexican-as-in-Mexico way of producing
> the tacos. They are actually pork most of the time.

Yes, "tacos al pastor." In my experience, slices of seasoned pork
layered on an autodoner along with fat and onions. I've never seen
this with "processed" meat. Some places serve "tacos al pastor" as
pork tacos that are not cooked on an autodoner, but in my experience
these are inferior.

-bwg
Barry Grau

Richard Kaszeta > wrote in message >...
> notbob > writes:
> > All the gyro/shwarma meat I ever encountered on these spits in local eateries
> > looks like some kind of pre-ground processed meat product. It certainly
> > isn't leg of lamb.

> Yes, it's usually the infamous Kronos Gyrokone[tm],
> http://www.kronosproducts.com/pages/products_frame.htm, or one of their competitors.

In my experience here in Chicago, gyros is pressed seasoned very
finely ground meat formed into a cone or cylinder and shawarma is thin
slices of seasoned meat. Both are cooked on a vertical split, or
"autodoner", and shaved off for serving. There's a place in my
neighborhood, Optimal Automatic, that sells autodoners:

<http://chicago.agrino.org/greek_restaurant_supplies.htm>

(Scroll down to #8).

> However, I do know of some gyro joints that do actual cuts of meat on
> the spit, but they are a rare find.
>
> >I've noticed a similar vertspit/procmeat thingie in
> >local taquerias. What are these?

> "Taco al pastor" is the classic Mexican-as-in-Mexico way of producing
> the tacos. They are actually pork most of the time.

Yes, "tacos al pastor." In my experience, slices of seasoned pork
layered on an autodoner along with fat and onions. I've never seen
this with "processed" meat. Some places serve "tacos al pastor" as
pork tacos that are not cooked on an autodoner, but in my experience
these are inferior.

-bwg
Victor Sack

Zspider > wrote:

> Lamb is the usual meat in a gyros sandwich, isn't it?

It is usual enough, but beef and pork are used often, too. In döner
kebap, the Turkish version, pork isn't used, of course, and lamb is
typical.

> How would I prepare lamb for gyros? When it finally goes on
> the sandwich it is sliced thin, cooked dark, and seasoned
> heavily. I'd like to try that!

Making real gyros is not simple, I have to say. Here is what I posted a
year or two ago:

Do you have the necessary equipment (a vertical, slowly revolving spit,
akin to a rotisserie), at least? Correctly made gyros or döner kebap is
definitely not a trivial undertaking for a home cook and, if one aims
for a really good result, is a challenge even to a skilled, professional
one. Here's how it is made: Most of the meat is sliced, the rest is
minced. Then, the meat is marinated overnight in a mixture of onion
juice, oil, salt and pepper. Then, the slices are arranged on the spit,
with the tight spaces between them filled with minced meat. The whole
thing is tightly formed and slowly cooked on the rotating spit, with the
meat getting "baked" together into a tight whole. Gradually, as the
outside gets cooked, one shaves off some meat with a sharp knife from
top to bottom, exposing, little by little, the raw interior to the heat,
and continuing in this way until all the meat is cooked and shaved off.
The cooked meat is, of course, supposed to be served throughout the
rather long process, with the juice/sauce that collects underneath.

Victor

Victor Sack

Zspider > wrote:

> Lamb is the usual meat in a gyros sandwich, isn't it?

It is usual enough, but beef and pork are used often, too. In döner
kebap, the Turkish version, pork isn't used, of course, and lamb is
typical.

> How would I prepare lamb for gyros? When it finally goes on
> the sandwich it is sliced thin, cooked dark, and seasoned
> heavily. I'd like to try that!

Making real gyros is not simple, I have to say. Here is what I posted a
year or two ago:

Do you have the necessary equipment (a vertical, slowly revolving spit,
akin to a rotisserie), at least? Correctly made gyros or döner kebap is
definitely not a trivial undertaking for a home cook and, if one aims
for a really good result, is a challenge even to a skilled, professional
one. Here's how it is made: Most of the meat is sliced, the rest is
minced. Then, the meat is marinated overnight in a mixture of onion
juice, oil, salt and pepper. Then, the slices are arranged on the spit,
with the tight spaces between them filled with minced meat. The whole
thing is tightly formed and slowly cooked on the rotating spit, with the
meat getting "baked" together into a tight whole. Gradually, as the
outside gets cooked, one shaves off some meat with a sharp knife from
top to bottom, exposing, little by little, the raw interior to the heat,
and continuing in this way until all the meat is cooked and shaved off.
The cooked meat is, of course, supposed to be served throughout the
rather long process, with the juice/sauce that collects underneath.

Victor

Christopher Green

notbob > wrote in message news:<hpJod.557325$mD.293704@attbi_s02>...
> On 2004-11-23, George Shirley > wrote:
> > Zspider wrote:

> > You can use either lamb or beef, I use beef because lamb is very
> > expensive in my area. The best gyros, aka shwarmas, the meat is sliced
> > thin, stacked on a vertical spit, roasted with a gas fire while the spit
> > turns moderately slow. As the meat gets done it is sliced straight down
> > and the pieces put in pita bread.....

> All the gyro/shwarma meat I ever encountered on these spits in local eateries
> looks like some kind of pre-ground processed meat product. It certainly
> isn't leg of lamb. I've noticed a similar vertspit/procmeat thingie in
> local taquerias. What are these?
>
> nb

In Mexico, it's called a "trompo" (lit. "top"), and the meat cooked on
these is called "al pastor" (lit. "shepherd style"). The difference
between this and shwarma is just the ingredients (Mexican cooks favor
pork, pounded thin and marinated), and stories have it that it was
brought by Lebanese immigrants either direct to Mexico or by way of
Argentina.

--
Chris Green
Christopher Green

notbob > wrote in message news:<hpJod.557325$mD.293704@attbi_s02>...
> On 2004-11-23, George Shirley > wrote:
> > Zspider wrote:

> > You can use either lamb or beef, I use beef because lamb is very
> > expensive in my area. The best gyros, aka shwarmas, the meat is sliced
> > thin, stacked on a vertical spit, roasted with a gas fire while the spit
> > turns moderately slow. As the meat gets done it is sliced straight down
> > and the pieces put in pita bread.....

> All the gyro/shwarma meat I ever encountered on these spits in local eateries
> looks like some kind of pre-ground processed meat product. It certainly
> isn't leg of lamb. I've noticed a similar vertspit/procmeat thingie in
> local taquerias. What are these?
>
> nb

In Mexico, it's called a "trompo" (lit. "top"), and the meat cooked on
these is called "al pastor" (lit. "shepherd style"). The difference
between this and shwarma is just the ingredients (Mexican cooks favor
pork, pounded thin and marinated), and stories have it that it was
brought by Lebanese immigrants either direct to Mexico or by way of
Argentina.

--
Chris Green
Barry Grau

Richard Kaszeta > wrote in message >...
> notbob > writes:
> > All the gyro/shwarma meat I ever encountered on these spits in local eateries
> > looks like some kind of pre-ground processed meat product. It certainly
> > isn't leg of lamb.

> Yes, it's usually the infamous Kronos Gyrokone[tm],
> http://www.kronosproducts.com/pages/products_frame.htm, or one of their competitors.
>
> However, I do know of some gyro joints that do actual cuts of meat on
> the spit, but they are a rare find.
>
> >I've noticed a similar vertspit/procmeat thingie in
> >local taquerias. What are these?

> "Taco al pastor" is the classic Mexican-as-in-Mexico way of producing
> the tacos. They are actually pork most of the time.

Sorry to follow up on my own follow up. but in looking at the web site
pointing to Optimal Automatic, I missed this URL:

http://www.autodoner.com/

I have no interest, financial or otherwise, in Optimal Automatic or
Autodoner...

-bwg
Barry Grau

Richard Kaszeta > wrote in message >...
> notbob > writes:
> > All the gyro/shwarma meat I ever encountered on these spits in local eateries
> > looks like some kind of pre-ground processed meat product. It certainly
> > isn't leg of lamb.

> Yes, it's usually the infamous Kronos Gyrokone[tm],
> http://www.kronosproducts.com/pages/products_frame.htm, or one of their competitors.
>
> However, I do know of some gyro joints that do actual cuts of meat on
> the spit, but they are a rare find.
>
> >I've noticed a similar vertspit/procmeat thingie in
> >local taquerias. What are these?

> "Taco al pastor" is the classic Mexican-as-in-Mexico way of producing
> the tacos. They are actually pork most of the time.

Sorry to follow up on my own follow up. but in looking at the web site
pointing to Optimal Automatic, I missed this URL:

http://www.autodoner.com/

I have no interest, financial or otherwise, in Optimal Automatic or
Autodoner...

-bwg
George Shirley

Victor Sack wrote:

> Zspider > wrote:
>

>>Lamb is the usual meat in a gyros sandwich, isn't it?

> It is usual enough, but beef and pork are used often, too. In döner
> kebap, the Turkish version, pork isn't used, of course, and lamb is
> typical.
>

>>How would I prepare lamb for gyros? When it finally goes on
>>the sandwich it is sliced thin, cooked dark, and seasoned
>>heavily. I'd like to try that!

> Making real gyros is not simple, I have to say. Here is what I posted a
> year or two ago:
>
> Do you have the necessary equipment (a vertical, slowly revolving spit,
> akin to a rotisserie), at least? Correctly made gyros or döner kebap is
> definitely not a trivial undertaking for a home cook and, if one aims
> for a really good result, is a challenge even to a skilled, professional
> one. Here's how it is made: Most of the meat is sliced, the rest is
> minced. Then, the meat is marinated overnight in a mixture of onion
> juice, oil, salt and pepper. Then, the slices are arranged on the spit,
> with the tight spaces between them filled with minced meat. The whole
> thing is tightly formed and slowly cooked on the rotating spit, with the
> meat getting "baked" together into a tight whole. Gradually, as the
> outside gets cooked, one shaves off some meat with a sharp knife from
> top to bottom, exposing, little by little, the raw interior to the heat,
> and continuing in this way until all the meat is cooked and shaved off.
> The cooked meat is, of course, supposed to be served throughout the
> rather long process, with the juice/sauce that collects underneath.
>
> Victor

Damn Victor, I've got slobber all down the front of my shirt now. Been
awhile since I had a really good shwarma. I may have to buy me an autodoner.

George

REC;Lamb Gyros Jon[_6_] General Cooking 9 13-07-2010 09:06 PM
REC;Lamb Gyros Jon[_6_] Baking 2 12-07-2010 06:42 PM
Gyros Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com General Cooking 8 27-04-2006 09:55 PM
Gyros Roberta General Cooking 37 30-08-2005 08:41 PM