BOB

Default Cookie decorating with a two-year old

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> It was a gas. Pictures have been posted.
>
> Here's my favorite cut-out-cookies recipe:
>
> {Mystically and Effortlessly Exported from MasterCook Mac }
>
> Sugar Cookies
>
> Recipe By: Barb Schaller, posted to r.f.cooking 2-11-04
> Serving Size: 66
> Preparation Time: 12:00
> Categories: Cookies
>
> Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
> 4 cups sifted cake flour (14 oz.)
> 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
> 1/2 tsp. salt
> 2/3 cup soft shortening (5 oz.)
> 1 1/2 cups sugar (11-1/2 oz.)
> 2 eggs unbeaten
> 1 tsp. vanilla extract
> 1/2 tsp. almond extract
> 4 tsp. milk
>
> Sift dry ingredients together; set aside. Mix shortening with sugar,
> eggs, and vanilla until very light and fluffy. Mix in flour mixture
> alternately with milk. Refrigerate dough until easy to handle (several
> hours or overnight). Roll on floured board, cut, and bake at 400
> degrees until delicate brown, about 9 minutes.
>
> This is the only sugar cookie recipe I¹ve had much luck with!! The
> dough handles beautifully! Design imprints from a cookie cutter remain
> on the cookie, making decorating very easy. 11/25/89: ~5-1/2 dozen
> cookies.
>
> ‹‹‹‹‹
> Notes: Source: Adapted from Good Housekeeping Cookbook, page 657.
> First made in the late 70s.
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

OK, yours sounds great, and makes better cookies.

BUT, my brother-in-law has a sure fire "pie dough cookies" recipe/method that
lets the little critters take full charge of the cookies.

Start with your favorite simple pie crust recipe. Roll it out to the desired
thickness, and hand the rugrats the cookie cutters. When they're about finished
with this, bring on the sprinkles, plain sugar, colored sugar, or whatever is
availible.

When they have finished decorating/making a large enough mess, you bake the
cookies until done @ 350ish. (I've never been involved with the baking part, so
I'm guessing about 5 minutes)

Last Thanksgiving, I watched/helped a 2 y.o., a 5 y.o., a 7y.o. and a 9y.o. have
fun at their own age levels and AT THE SAME TIME! It was truly amazing, and so
simple.

BOB

Melba's Jammin'

In article > , Dog3
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > deliciously posted in
> :
>
> > It was a gas. Pictures have been posted.
> >
> > Here's my favorite cut-out-cookies recipe:
> >
> > {Mystically and Effortlessly Exported from MasterCook Mac }
> >
> > Sugar Cookies

(recipe snipped)
> > Notes: Source: Adapted from Good Housekeeping Cookbook, page 657.
> > First made in the late 70s.

> Yummm... Now tell the truth. You didn't actually measure all the
> ingredients, did you
>
> Michael

Ppffttggghhbtt! I did measure, Wiseass. The only thing I don't measure
is the extracts. And I weigh the flour and sugar measures. Margaret
asked about making them with butter instead of Crisco and I said I
didn't know how they'd turn out -- but they'd no doubt taste better.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.