What is shelf life for sun dried tomatoes?

Old 22-11-2004, 11:59 AM
Robin
Usenet poster

Default What is shelf life for sun dried tomatoes?

I found a sealed bag of them in my pantry, I'm guessing it's about 4 yrs
old. Are they still useable? There's no expiration date on package.

--
Do not email if posting response. To email, replace x with 4
Old 22-11-2004, 01:42 PM
jacqui{JB}
Usenet poster

"Robin" wrote in message

I found a sealed bag of them in my pantry, I'm
guessing it's about 4 yrs old. Are they still useable?
There's no expiration date on package.

Maybe. Inspect the contents before opening the bag to see if there
are any unwelcome visitors. If not, open the bag and use your nose:
do they smell good? Oily? Rancid? Try rehydrating one with hot
water and see how it tastes.

A lot depends on whether the tomatoes were treated with oil -- olive
or otherwise -- in the drying process. If not, I'd say the shelf-life
is indefinite; if so, then you're more limited, as the oil will
eventually go rancid ... which is what happened to a big bag of
sundried tomatoes I bought from a local italian market. Very
disappointing, but I suppose my own fault for not using them up in a
timely fashion.

-j

Old 22-11-2004, 02:11 PM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

"jacqui{JB}" writes:

do they smell good? Oily? Rancid?

A lot depends on whether the tomatoes were treated with oil, as the oil will
eventually go rancid ... which is what happened to a big bag of sundried
tomatoes I bought from a local italian market. Very disappointing.

Um, to an Italian rancid is the default. hehe

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Old 22-11-2004, 02:48 PM
zxcvbob
Usenet poster

Robin wrote:

I found a sealed bag of them in my pantry, I'm guessing it's about 4 yrs
old. Are they still useable? There's no expiration date on package.

I have a jar of dried tomatoes from my garden 2 years ago, and they have
just started to fade in color a little, but the taste is still
excellent. I'm gonna try to use up most of them this winter.

Yours should be usable, but you won't know if they are good or if they
have gone tasteless on you until you try one.

Bob
Old 22-11-2004, 02:48 PM
zxcvbob
Usenet poster

Robin wrote:

I found a sealed bag of them in my pantry, I'm guessing it's about 4 yrs
old. Are they still useable? There's no expiration date on package.

I have a jar of dried tomatoes from my garden 2 years ago, and they have
just started to fade in color a little, but the taste is still
excellent. I'm gonna try to use up most of them this winter.

Yours should be usable, but you won't know if they are good or if they
have gone tasteless on you until you try one.

Bob

How long a shelf life do brownies have kathy Chocolate 6 25-10-2010 08:52 AM
Preserving the tastes of summer: Dried foods T.R.H Recipes 0 27-06-2004 10:27 PM
egg shelf life Matt Baking 0 06-04-2004 07:11 AM
what is the shelf life of wheat bran and oat bran? john Baking 2 01-11-2003 06:13 AM