jmk

Default Dried beans and canned beans

When making a recipe that calls for canned beans, how much dried beans
do you substitute. I prefer to rehydrate my own beans when possible.
If it says a 14.5 oz can, though, how much of the can is liquid and how
much is beans?
--
jmk in NC

PENMART01

>jmk asks:
>
>When making a recipe that calls for canned beans, how much dried beans
>do you substitute. I prefer to rehydrate my own beans when possible.

Measure the canned *drained* beans by volume... 3 cups canned = 1 cup dried.
Canned to dried is aproximately 3 : 1.

>If it says a 14.5 oz can, though, how much of the can is liquid and how
>much is beans?

Um, do you still have that measuring cup... you'll need to measure the liquid
by *volume*... the *net weight* (weight of the beans less the liquid) will be
indicated on the label. I've no idea what you mean by "a 14.5 oz can"... do
you mean the label on the can of beans indicates "14.5 oz net weight"?

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Lorne Epp

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:55:12 -0500, jmk > wrote:

>When making a recipe that calls for canned beans, how much dried beans
>do you substitute. I prefer to rehydrate my own beans when possible.
>If it says a 14.5 oz can, though, how much of the can is liquid and how
>much is beans?

Dried beans will approximately double in volume when you rehydrate
them, so the equivalent of 14.5 oz of canned beans would be 7.25 oz of
dried. That's *fluid ounces* of course, not weight ounces. I.e., use
a measuring cup, not a scale :-)
PENMART01

>Lorne "Idiot" Eppjmk GUESSES:
>
> wrote:
>
>>When making a recipe that calls for canned beans, how much dried beans
>>do you substitute. I prefer to rehydrate my own beans when possible.
>>If it says a 14.5 oz can, though, how much of the can is liquid and how
>>much is beans?

>Dried beans will approximately double in volume when you rehydrate
>them, so the equivalent of 14.5 oz of canned beans would be 7.25 oz of
>dried. That's *fluid ounces* of course, not weight ounces. I.e., use
>a measuring cup, not a scale :-)

Idiot!

http://www.americanbean.org/Informat...asics/Home.htm

Counting Beans

One 15-ounce can of beans = one and one-half cups cooked beans, drained
One pound dry beans = six cups cooked beans, drained.
One pound dry beans = two cups dry beans.
*One (1) cup dry beans = three (3) cups cooked beans, *drained*.
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Nancree

>When making a recipe that calls for canned beans, how much dried beans
>do you substitute. I prefer to rehydrate my own beans when possible.
>If it says a 14.5 oz can, though, how much of the can is liquid and how
>much is beans?
>--
>jmk in NC

I don't know, but I am wondering about your phrase "rehydrate my own beans".
You do know that you have to cook dried beans, and it takes a few hours.
--Soak overnight (or simmer for 1 hour and let sit for a few hours--then add
more water and cook 2 or 3 hours till done.)

PENMART01

>(Nancree)
>
>>When making a recipe that calls for canned beans, how much dried beans
>>do you substitute. I prefer to rehydrate my own beans when possible.
>>If it says a 14.5 oz can, though, how much of the can is liquid and how
>>much is beans?
>>--
>>jmk in NC

>I don't know, but

If you don't know then why do you respond, butt??? DUH

>I am wondering about your phrase "rehydrate my own beans".

Merriam Webster

re·hy·drate

transitive verb

: to restore fluid to (something dehydrated)
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

jmk

On 2/10/2004 11:12 PM, PENMART01 wrote:

> http://www.americanbean.org/Informat...asics/Home.htm
>
> Counting Beans
>
> One 15-ounce can of beans = one and one-half cups cooked beans, drained
> One pound dry beans = six cups cooked beans, drained.
> One pound dry beans = two cups dry beans.
> *One (1) cup dry beans = three (3) cups cooked beans, *drained*.

Ah! Thanks a bunch. So, to replace the drained beans from a 14.5 oz
can (yes, I think the cans have shrunken :-(), rehydrate 6 oz of dried
beans (for one and one-half cups cooked beans).

--
jmk in NC

jmk

On 2/10/2004 11:39 PM, Nancree wrote:
>>When making a recipe that calls for canned beans, how much dried beans
>>do you substitute. I prefer to rehydrate my own beans when possible.
>>If it says a 14.5 oz can, though, how much of the can is liquid and how
>>much is beans?
>>--
>>jmk in NC

> I don't know, but I am wondering about your phrase "rehydrate my own beans".
> You do know that you have to cook dried beans, and it takes a few hours.

Yes, soak overnight, cook for 90 minutes in this case.

--
jmk in NC