MrAoD

Default Quickest way to cook C. Breast?

FERRANTE writes:

>Usually when I cook a chicken breast, I bake it in the over for an
>hour at 350 degrees.

Oy gevalt, that's one dry chicken breast.

>However, tonight I want to cook one breast and
>cut it in slices to add to alfredo sauce to put over spaghetti. I've
>never cooked a chicken breast any other way.

Assuming you're planning on cooking it a bit in the sauce you've got any number
of choices on how to cook. I'm also assuming you're using a boneless skinless
breast.

First question is do you want a slightly crispy surface or not?

If yes, broil for about 8 minutes, or fry on the stovetop (about a tsp of oil
in a small 6-8" pan) for about 6 minutes/side over medium heat.

If no, boil for 6 minutes, or simmer for 15. Or put in the microwave on high
for approximately 5 minutes.

Then cut into cubes or slices.

If you're feeling adventureous and want to slice (or cube) the breast before
cooking, cut to 1/2" cubes or 1/4" slices and sautee about 5 minutes over
medium heat in a small drizzle of oil.

Whichever way you cook it, add to the sauce and let it simmer for about 5
minutes.

Best,

Marc
MrAoD

Dennis G. writes:

>(MrAoD) wrote:
>
>>Assuming you're planning on cooking it a bit in the sauce you've got any

>number
>>of choices on how to cook. I'm also assuming you're using a boneless

>skinless
>>breast.
>>
>>First question is do you want a slightly crispy surface or not?
>>
>>If yes, broil for about 8 minutes, or fry on the stovetop (about a tsp of

>oil
>>in a small 6-8" pan) for about 6 minutes/side over medium heat.
>>
>>If no, boil for 6 minutes, or simmer for 15. Or put in the microwave on

>high
>>for approximately 5 minutes.
>>
>>Then cut into cubes or slices.
>>
>>If you're feeling adventureous and want to slice (or cube) the breast before
>>cooking, cut to 1/2" cubes or 1/4" slices and sautee about 5 minutes over
>>medium heat in a small drizzle of oil.
>>
>>Whichever way you cook it, add to the sauce and let it simmer for about 5
>>minutes.
>>
>>Best,
>>
>>Marc

>Your recommended cooking times do not sound safe to me although the critical
>factor is the temperature of the coolest part of the meat.

It's a chicken breast ferchrissakes. B'ile the pee outta it, burn the crud
outta it and you've got a not-very-tasty-to-begin-with clod of meat that's
overcooked.

>Perhaps making thin slices before broiling, frying or microwaving would make
>the
>temperature rise to the 180 or so required.

News to you: If you thin slice the breast (and I'm being generous with the
thin part here, say 1/4") and you broil, bake, fry, microwave or even look at
it sidewise, it's going to be overdone with *any* of the times I gave. And oh
yeah, that 180 (which I'd ramp down to 160 max) temp is internal for a full cut
of chicken, bone-in and measured at the thickest part of the meat. If you've
got a 1/4" slice I double-dog-dare you to find a thermometer that won't come
out t'other side.

>This page gives good info on cooking chicken safely:
>http://www.perdue.com/athome/product_safety/kitchen.asp

Oh frikkin blow me. You cite a corporate we-warned-you-so-you-can't-sue-us
info page as gospel.

I * in your general direction.

Best,

Marc

(who's had a really bad day and is anticipating an even worse year.)

Dave Smith

FERRANTE wrote:

> Usually when I cook a chicken breast, I bake it in the over for an
> hour at 350 degrees. However, tonight I want to cook one breast and
> cut it in slices to add to alfredo sauce to put over spaghetti. I've
> never cooked a chicken breast any other way.
>
> What is the easiest and simplest way to cook it without waiting an
> hour? Since I want to slice it in strips for the sauce, should I slice
> it first and then cook it? Easier to cut afterwards? If I cook it in a
> small skillet, how do you know when it is done on the inside?

A grill pan is a great way to do chicken breasts. Season the breast and
plop it on the grill at medium to medium high heat. It should be done in
about 12-14 minutes at the most, depending on thickness.

Bob

MrAoD wrote:
> Dennis G. writes:
>

>>(MrAoD) wrote:
>>

>>>Assuming you're planning on cooking it a bit in the sauce you've got any
>>>number of choices on how to cook. I'm also assuming you're using a boneless
>>>skinless breast.
>>>
>>>First question is do you want a slightly crispy surface or not?
>>>oil in a small 6-8" pan) for about 6 minutes/side over medium heat.
>>>
>>>If no, boil for 6 minutes, or simmer for 15. Or put in the microwave on
>>>high for approximately 5 minutes.
>>>
>>>Then cut into cubes or slices.
>>>
>>>If you're feeling adventureous and want to slice (or cube) the breast before
>>>cooking, cut to 1/2" cubes or 1/4" slices and sautee about 5 minutes over
>>>medium heat in a small drizzle of oil.
>>>
>>>Whichever way you cook it, add to the sauce and let it simmer for about 5
>>>minutes.
>>>
>>>Best,
>>>
>>>Marc

>>Your recommended cooking times do not sound safe to me although the critical
>>factor is the temperature of the coolest part of the meat.

Not only are they safe, they'll result in a way overcooked piece of
chicken.

> It's a chicken breast ferchrissakes. B'ile the pee outta it, burn the crud
> outta it and you've got a not-very-tasty-to-begin-with clod of meat that's
> overcooked.
>

>>Perhaps making thin slices before broiling, frying or microwaving would make
>>the temperature rise to the 180 or so required.

180 absolutely isn't required. All the important baddies are either
dead at 140 or so reduced as to constitute no hazard. Most people
wouldn't like the texture of the meat at that temp, though. Cook it to
160 and it's done.

> News to you: If you thin slice the breast (and I'm being generous with the
> thin part here, say 1/4") and you broil, bake, fry, microwave or even look at
> it sidewise, it's going to be overdone with *any* of the times I gave. And oh
> yeah, that 180 (which I'd ramp down to 160 max) temp is internal for a full cut
> of chicken, bone-in and measured at the thickest part of the meat.

Used to be. 160 in the thigh away from bone. Let rest for 10 minutes
and carve away. Moist, tender, tasty, safe chicken. Succulent.

Yes, I said succulent.

> If you've
> got a 1/4" slice I double-dog-dare you to find a thermometer that won't come
> out t'other side.
>
>>This page gives good info on cooking chicken safely:
>>http://www.perdue.com/athome/product_safety/kitchen.asp

That advice comes from a lawyer, not a cook. Forget it.

> Oh frikkin blow me. You cite a corporate we-warned-you-so-you-can't-sue-us
> info page as gospel.
>
> I * in your general direction.
>
> Best,
>
> Marc
>
> (who's had a really bad day and is anticipating an even worse year.)

Well buck up. Chicken is about to get cheaper. China has stopped all
imports of American chicken since a second flock in Maryland has
tested positive for avian flu. They've been importing 2000 tons a day
from us.

Pastorio

Daisy

Cant give it to you for an hour hon, but this is a very very good
poached chicken recipe I have used over and over again - for slicing
on pasta, or on a salad - or any recipe that calls for cooked chicken.

Take as many chicken breasts as you need. Leave the skin on! Fold
the breast(s) into a pot that will hold them snugly. To one breast
(and add for more) grate the rind of 1 lemon and add its juice. Salt
and pepper, one bay leaf and some fresh tarragon if you have it on
hand. Add enough water to just cover the chicken. Put a lid on the
pot and bring to the boil. Skim off the sludgy stuff. Replace the
lid and take off the heat and leave for one and a half hours. The
chicken will be cooked (believe me, it will!) Leave until it is cool
and slice or do whatever you want with it.

If you want Asian flavours with this recipe instead of French,
replace the lemon and bayleaf and other herbs with soy sauce and
sliced fresh ginger and a clove of garlic.

Enjoy!

Daisy.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
Charles Gifford

"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
news
> Usually when I cook a chicken breast, I bake it in the over for an
> hour at 350 degrees. However, tonight I want to cook one breast and
> cut it in slices to add to alfredo sauce to put over spaghetti. I've
> never cooked a chicken breast any other way.

Oh my God! You people are going to kill me! Have you savages no sensitivity
at all? AAARG!

Charlie

Katra

In article k.net>,
"Charles Gifford" > wrote:

> "FERRANTE" > wrote in message
> news
> > Usually when I cook a chicken breast, I bake it in the over for an
> > hour at 350 degrees. However, tonight I want to cook one breast and
> > cut it in slices to add to alfredo sauce to put over spaghetti. I've
> > never cooked a chicken breast any other way.

> Oh my God! You people are going to kill me! Have you savages no sensitivity
> at all? AAARG!
>
> Charlie

So, substitute marinara for Alfredo,
and lightly steamed shredded zuchinni for the pasta. ;-)

Or Spagetti Squash......

Alfredo _can_ be made starch free if you know how!

Just my humble offering!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

Kswck

"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
news
> Usually when I cook a chicken breast, I bake it in the over for an
> hour at 350 degrees. However, tonight I want to cook one breast and
> cut it in slices to add to alfredo sauce to put over spaghetti. I've
> never cooked a chicken breast any other way.
>
> What is the easiest and simplest way to cook it without waiting an
> hour? Since I want to slice it in strips for the sauce, should I slice
> it first and then cook it? Easier to cut afterwards? If I cook it in a
> small skillet, how do you know when it is done on the inside?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Mark Ferrante
> Bachelor Cook

I'll assume you don't coat the breast with any heavy spices (I've not made
the dish in a very long time). You can broil the breast for a few
minutes-since you are going to slice it up anyway, slice it in half when you
think it might be done.
You can also slice it up and pan fry it in PAM or some other spray and/or
add a bit of lemon juice to keep it from sticking. The juices should run
clear when done. After trying it a couple of times, you should just 'know'
when it's done.

Loki

il Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:19:13 GMT, "Charles Gifford" ha scritto:

> "FERRANTE" > wrote in message
> news
> > Usually when I cook a chicken breast, I bake it in the over for an
> > hour at 350 degrees. However, tonight I want to cook one breast and
> > cut it in slices to add to alfredo sauce to put over spaghetti. I've
> > never cooked a chicken breast any other way.

> Oh my God! You people are going to kill me! Have you savages no sensitivity
> at all? AAARG!
>
> Charlie

I had a landlady who thought trout was a dry fish - she baked it for
an hour. And her meat ... I had never had roast with such
individuated fibres before. Maybe as a farmer's wife she wanted to be
sure the animal was dead.

--
Cheers,

Charles Gifford

"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article k.net>,
> "Charles Gifford" > wrote:
>

> > Oh my God! You people are going to kill me! Have you savages no

sensitivity
> > at all? AAARG!
> >
> > Charlie

> So, substitute marinara for Alfredo,
> and lightly steamed shredded zuchinni for the pasta. ;-)
>
> Or Spagetti Squash......
>
> Alfredo _can_ be made starch free if you know how!
>
> Just my humble offering!
>
> K.

Hee, hee! With obligatory AAAK! AAAK!

Charlie

paula

if you are going to slice/cut the breast up anyway then why not cut it
up when raw ,and then stir fry it in a little olive oil. it will only
take a few minutes this way and will still be moist.

FERRANTE > wrote:
> Usually when I cook a chicken breast, I bake it in the over for an
> hour at 350 degrees. However, tonight I want to cook one breast and
> cut it in slices to add to alfredo sauce to put over spaghetti. I've
> never cooked a chicken breast any other way.

> What is the easiest and simplest way to cook it without waiting an
> hour? Since I want to slice it in strips for the sauce, should I slice
> it first and then cook it? Easier to cut afterwards? If I cook it in a
> small skillet, how do you know when it is done on the inside?

Just heat up a frying pan, add a bit of olive oil to coat the bottom
of the pan, then cook the chicken breast in it for a few minutes per side
and make sure you pound the breast flat in between two sheets of plastic
wrap before you cook it.

Dan Levy

FERRANTE > wrote:

>What is the easiest and simplest way to cook [chicken breast] without

waiting a
> hour? Since I want to slice it in strips for the sauce, should I slice
> it first and then cook it? Easier to cut afterwards? If I cook it in a
> small skillet, how do you know when it is done on the inside?

Kitchen shears or strong scissors work well to slice uncooked boneless
chicken breast into short strips, if you don't have a suitably sharp knife.
Cut lengthwise into 2 or 3 pieces then snip pieces crosswise off of those
pieces. The result can be stir-fried in a couple tablespoons oil at medium
high heat (not quite smoking) in about 5 minutes.