Flat glass ceramic cooktop - pan or pot size

Old 06-02-2004, 07:19 PM
P Bennett
Usenet poster

Default Flat glass ceramic cooktop - pan or pot size

Hello,

I have a Maytag Gemini with a glass-ceramic cooktop. It says in the
users manual not to use a pan with a bottom larger than the element by
1/2 to 1 inch.
The largest element is 9 inches. I need to use a 4 gallon stock pot
and I can't find one that is less than 11 inches.
My question is, what happens if you go over by 2 inches? will it
damage the element or just not cook correctly?
I will be using a very flat bottom stock pot.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:16 AM
sandra
Usenet poster

I have been using canning pots and pans which are 3 inches wider than
the burner rim on my gemini ceramic top and the edges take a while
longer to cook the food compared to the food in the centre, but other
than that nothing happens. Just make sure the pans are flat and not
warped. Hope it helps!
Old 09-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Anny Middon
Usenet poster

"P Bennett" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I have a Maytag Gemini with a glass-ceramic cooktop. It says in the
users manual not to use a pan with a bottom larger than the element by
1/2 to 1 inch.
The largest element is 9 inches. I need to use a 4 gallon stock pot
and I can't find one that is less than 11 inches.
My question is, what happens if you go over by 2 inches? will it
damage the element or just not cook correctly?
I will be using a very flat bottom stock pot.

I had a glass-ceramic cooktop for a while and hated it. The problem with
using pots larger than the element was that somehow they triggered some
built-in failsafe and automatically turned the burner off. So I'd put on a
large pot of water for pasta and come back to find it not boiling, but
barely warm.

Anny