MattB

Default Best slow cooker?

Can anyone recommend a good 5 or 6 quart slow cooker? Or can you
point me to where I could find lots of reviews?
Epinions.com was not helpful; they had 1 or two reviews for each
product.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
rosie readandpost

i really like my RIVAL.

--

"I promise you I will listen to what has been said here, even though
I wasn't here."

"MattB" > wrote in message
m...
: Can anyone recommend a good 5 or 6 quart slow cooker? Or can you
: point me to where I could find lots of reviews?
: Epinions.com was not helpful; they had 1 or two reviews for each
: product.
:
: Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sam D.

"MattB" > wrote in message
m...
> Can anyone recommend a good 5 or 6 quart slow cooker? Or can you
> point me to where I could find lots of reviews?
> Epinions.com was not helpful; they had 1 or two reviews for each
> product.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have had the same 6 qt. Rival for over 20 years and it works just
fine. I previously had another Rival crock pot which worked OK but it
was just too small.

Sam D.

"MattB" > wrote in message
m...
> Can anyone recommend a good 5 or 6 quart slow cooker? Or can you
> point me to where I could find lots of reviews?
> Epinions.com was not helpful; they had 1 or two reviews for each
> product.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have had the same 6 qt. Rival for over 20 years and it works just
fine. I previously had another Rival crock pot which worked OK but it
was just too small.

Kate ......

MattB wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good 5 or 6 quart slow cooker? Or can you
> point me to where I could find lots of reviews?
> Epinions.com was not helpful; they had 1 or two reviews for each
> product.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I can not tell you which one to buy. But will tell you I would never
buy one of the new oval ones WEst Bend has , again. I am not at all
happy with the oval West Bend crock pot , with a removable bowl. , that
I was so sure I was going to love. I was very pleased with the way it
looked . Couldn't wait to try it out. Three month later I'd like to put
it in the garbage. Everything I try to cook all night is ruined. Cooks
way too hot. Some things are even burned by morning. I put the pot on
low at nine PM and by three AM , its already too done. I had an 800
number for their company but must have thrown it out. Haven't been able
to find it. Nor my book that came with it. Search on here hasn't been
able to help so far. Found lots of sale sites , but no consumer
complaint sites . Good luck in finding a good one. Kate

Kate ......

MattB wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good 5 or 6 quart slow cooker? Or can you
> point me to where I could find lots of reviews?
> Epinions.com was not helpful; they had 1 or two reviews for each
> product.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I can not tell you which one to buy. But will tell you I would never
buy one of the new oval ones WEst Bend has , again. I am not at all
happy with the oval West Bend crock pot , with a removable bowl. , that
I was so sure I was going to love. I was very pleased with the way it
looked . Couldn't wait to try it out. Three month later I'd like to put
it in the garbage. Everything I try to cook all night is ruined. Cooks
way too hot. Some things are even burned by morning. I put the pot on
low at nine PM and by three AM , its already too done. I had an 800
number for their company but must have thrown it out. Haven't been able
to find it. Nor my book that came with it. Search on here hasn't been
able to help so far. Found lots of sale sites , but no consumer
complaint sites . Good luck in finding a good one. Kate

Ariane Jenkins

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:07:16 -0600, Kate ...... > wrote:

> I can not tell you which one to buy. But will tell you I would never
> buy one of the new oval ones WEst Bend has , again. I am not at all
> happy with the oval West Bend crock pot , with a removable bowl. , that
> I was so sure I was going to love. I was very pleased with the way it
> looked . Couldn't wait to try it out. Three month later I'd like to put
> it in the garbage. Everything I try to cook all night is ruined. Cooks
> way too hot. Some things are even burned by morning. I put the pot on
> low at nine PM and by three AM , its already too done. I had an 800
> number for their company but must have thrown it out. Haven't been able
> to find it. Nor my book that came with it. Search on here hasn't been
> able to help so far. Found lots of sale sites , but no consumer
> complaint sites . Good luck in finding a good one. Kate

West Bend's website (http://www.westbend.com) had this
address and phone number listed. It doesn't look all that promising,
but I guess it's better than nothing:

West Bend® Housewares
PO Box 2780
West Bend, WI. 53095-2780
(262)334-6949

For the OP, I have a Rival that I like. It doesn't seem to
get as hot as my old slow cooker (also a Rival) though, and things
take longer to cook. Since I don't use it more than a couple times a
month, this isn't a huge problem for me. I like the fact that the
crock part is removable for easier cleaning, unlike my older version.

Ariane

Ariane Jenkins

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:07:16 -0600, Kate ...... > wrote:

> I can not tell you which one to buy. But will tell you I would never
> buy one of the new oval ones WEst Bend has , again. I am not at all
> happy with the oval West Bend crock pot , with a removable bowl. , that
> I was so sure I was going to love. I was very pleased with the way it
> looked . Couldn't wait to try it out. Three month later I'd like to put
> it in the garbage. Everything I try to cook all night is ruined. Cooks
> way too hot. Some things are even burned by morning. I put the pot on
> low at nine PM and by three AM , its already too done. I had an 800
> number for their company but must have thrown it out. Haven't been able
> to find it. Nor my book that came with it. Search on here hasn't been
> able to help so far. Found lots of sale sites , but no consumer
> complaint sites . Good luck in finding a good one. Kate

West Bend's website (http://www.westbend.com) had this
address and phone number listed. It doesn't look all that promising,
but I guess it's better than nothing:

West Bend® Housewares
PO Box 2780
West Bend, WI. 53095-2780
(262)334-6949

For the OP, I have a Rival that I like. It doesn't seem to
get as hot as my old slow cooker (also a Rival) though, and things
take longer to cook. Since I don't use it more than a couple times a
month, this isn't a huge problem for me. I like the fact that the
crock part is removable for easier cleaning, unlike my older version.

Ariane

Sam D.

"Kate ......" > wrote in message

> I can not tell you which one to buy. But will tell you I would

never
> buy one of the new oval ones WEst Bend has , again. I am not at all
> happy with the oval West Bend crock pot , with a removable bowl. ,

that
> I was so sure I was going to love. I was very pleased with the way

it
> looked . Couldn't wait to try it out. Three month later I'd like to

put
> it in the garbage. Everything I try to cook all night is ruined.

Cooks
> way too hot. Some things are even burned by morning. I put the pot

on
> low at nine PM and by three AM , its already too done. I had an 800
> number for their company but must have thrown it out. Haven't been

able
> to find it. Nor my book that came with it. Search on here hasn't

been
> able to help so far. Found lots of sale sites , but no consumer
> complaint sites . Good luck in finding a good one. Kate

There is a phone number on their web site, although it isn't
toll-free. They are headquartered in WI and it looks like they've gone
through an ownership change.

West Bend® Housewares
PO Box 2780
West Bend, WI. 53095-2780
(262)334-6949

http://www.westbend.com

Sam D.

"Kate ......" > wrote in message

> I can not tell you which one to buy. But will tell you I would

never
> buy one of the new oval ones WEst Bend has , again. I am not at all
> happy with the oval West Bend crock pot , with a removable bowl. ,

that
> I was so sure I was going to love. I was very pleased with the way

it
> looked . Couldn't wait to try it out. Three month later I'd like to

put
> it in the garbage. Everything I try to cook all night is ruined.

Cooks
> way too hot. Some things are even burned by morning. I put the pot

on
> low at nine PM and by three AM , its already too done. I had an 800
> number for their company but must have thrown it out. Haven't been

able
> to find it. Nor my book that came with it. Search on here hasn't

been
> able to help so far. Found lots of sale sites , but no consumer
> complaint sites . Good luck in finding a good one. Kate

There is a phone number on their web site, although it isn't
toll-free. They are headquartered in WI and it looks like they've gone
through an ownership change.

West Bend® Housewares
PO Box 2780
West Bend, WI. 53095-2780
(262)334-6949

http://www.westbend.com

Kate ......

"Sam D." wrote:

> "Kate ......" > wrote in message
> >
> > I can not tell you which one to buy. But will tell you I would

> never
> > buy one of the new oval ones WEst Bend has , again. I am not at all
> > happy with the oval West Bend crock pot , with a removable bowl. ,

> that
> > I was so sure I was going to love. I was very pleased with the way

> it
> > looked . Couldn't wait to try it out. Three month later I'd like to

> put
> > it in the garbage. Everything I try to cook all night is ruined.

> Cooks
> > way too hot. Some things are even burned by morning. I put the pot

> on
> > low at nine PM and by three AM , its already too done. I had an 800
> > number for their company but must have thrown it out. Haven't been

> able
> > to find it. Nor my book that came with it. Search on here hasn't

> been
> > able to help so far. Found lots of sale sites , but no consumer
> > complaint sites . Good luck in finding a good one. Kate

> There is a phone number on their web site, although it isn't
> toll-free. They are headquartered in WI and it looks like they've gone
> through an ownership change.
>
> West Bend® Housewares
> PO Box 2780
> West Bend, WI. 53095-2780
> (262)334-6949
>
> http://www.westbend.com

Thank you . I did see that. I have found an e-mail address. Waiting to
see if I hear back . Kate

Kate ......

"Sam D." wrote:

> "Kate ......" > wrote in message
> >
> > I can not tell you which one to buy. But will tell you I would

> never
> > buy one of the new oval ones WEst Bend has , again. I am not at all
> > happy with the oval West Bend crock pot , with a removable bowl. ,

> that
> > I was so sure I was going to love. I was very pleased with the way

> it
> > looked . Couldn't wait to try it out. Three month later I'd like to

> put
> > it in the garbage. Everything I try to cook all night is ruined.

> Cooks
> > way too hot. Some things are even burned by morning. I put the pot

> on
> > low at nine PM and by three AM , its already too done. I had an 800
> > number for their company but must have thrown it out. Haven't been

> able
> > to find it. Nor my book that came with it. Search on here hasn't

> been
> > able to help so far. Found lots of sale sites , but no consumer
> > complaint sites . Good luck in finding a good one. Kate

> There is a phone number on their web site, although it isn't
> toll-free. They are headquartered in WI and it looks like they've gone
> through an ownership change.
>
> West Bend® Housewares
> PO Box 2780
> West Bend, WI. 53095-2780
> (262)334-6949
>
> http://www.westbend.com

Thank you . I did see that. I have found an e-mail address. Waiting to
see if I hear back . Kate

Edwin Pawlowski

"MattB" > wrote in message
m...
> Can anyone recommend a good 5 or 6 quart slow cooker? Or can you
> point me to where I could find lots of reviews?

Get a Lodge cast iron Dutch oven. Best slow cookers around. Second best is
Club Aluminum.

Edwin Pawlowski

"MattB" > wrote in message
m...
> Can anyone recommend a good 5 or 6 quart slow cooker? Or can you
> point me to where I could find lots of reviews?

Get a Lodge cast iron Dutch oven. Best slow cookers around. Second best is
Club Aluminum.

Edwin Pawlowski

"MattB" > wrote in message
m...
> Can anyone recommend a good 5 or 6 quart slow cooker? Or can you
> point me to where I could find lots of reviews?

Get a Lodge cast iron Dutch oven. Best slow cookers around. Second best is
Club Aluminum.

Edwin Pawlowski

"MattB" > wrote in message
m...
> Can anyone recommend a good 5 or 6 quart slow cooker? Or can you
> point me to where I could find lots of reviews?

Get a Lodge cast iron Dutch oven. Best slow cookers around. Second best is
Club Aluminum.

MattB

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message .com>...
> "MattB" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Can anyone recommend a good 5 or 6 quart slow cooker? Or can you
> > point me to where I could find lots of reviews?

> Get a Lodge cast iron Dutch oven. Best slow cookers around. Second best is
> Club Aluminum.

Sorry, I meant to say I was looking for an electric "Crock Pot-style"
cooker. And I did look at Amazon's website. They had a couple of
Rival 5 and 6 oz. cookers with a few good reviews each. Can any of
you RIVAL lovers tell me the model numbers of the ones you're happy
with?

MattB

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message .com>...
> "MattB" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Can anyone recommend a good 5 or 6 quart slow cooker? Or can you
> > point me to where I could find lots of reviews?

> Get a Lodge cast iron Dutch oven. Best slow cookers around. Second best is
> Club Aluminum.

Sorry, I meant to say I was looking for an electric "Crock Pot-style"
cooker. And I did look at Amazon's website. They had a couple of
Rival 5 and 6 oz. cookers with a few good reviews each. Can any of
you RIVAL lovers tell me the model numbers of the ones you're happy
with?
Trent©

wrote:

>MattB wrote:
>
>> Can anyone recommend a good 5 or 6 quart slow cooker? Or can you
>> point me to where I could find lots of reviews?
>> Epinions.com was not helpful; they had 1 or two reviews for each
>> product.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

>I can not tell you which one to buy. But will tell you I would never
>buy one of the new oval ones WEst Bend has , again. I am not at all
>happy with the oval West Bend crock pot , with a removable bowl. , that
>I was so sure I was going to love. I was very pleased with the way it
>looked . Couldn't wait to try it out. Three month later I'd like to put
>it in the garbage. Everything I try to cook all night is ruined. Cooks
>way too hot. Some things are even burned by morning. I put the pot on
>low at nine PM and by three AM , its already too done. I had an 800
>number for their company but must have thrown it out. Haven't been able
>to find it. Nor my book that came with it. Search on here hasn't been
>able to help so far. Found lots of sale sites , but no consumer
>complaint sites . Good luck in finding a good one. Kate

I've had that style of West Bend for years...wouldn't use any other.

I'm gonna try to get their new one for Christmas. Its heavy duty...so
you can sear on the stove...then transfer the pot to the slower cooker
element.

I'm surprised you've had bad luck with yours.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Follow Joan Rivers' example...get pre-embalmed!
zxcvbob

MattB wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good 5 or 6 quart slow cooker? Or can you
> point me to where I could find lots of reviews?
> Epinions.com was not helpful; they had 1 or two reviews for each
> product.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Buy any brand of electric *roaster*. I have an 18 quart Nesco (it's
huge) and an 8 or 10 quart Rival that is a lot more managable. To
duplicate that "crock pot" experience, set the roaster for about 225 or
250 degrees and cook without using the rack.

Bob
Grismalkin

>>Can anyone recommend a good 5 or 6 quart slow cooker? Or can you
>>point me to where I could find lots of reviews?
>>Epinions.com was not helpful; they had 1 or two reviews for each
>>product.
>>
>>Any help would be greatly appreciated!

>Look at the West Bend. They're rectangular...which makes them easy
>for roasts, chicken, etc.
>
>And, with the new heavy-duty model, you can sear the meat on your
>stove...then move the pot to the cooker heating platform.
>
>I've had one for years...very pleased...and I hope to upgrade this
>Christmas!
>

>Have a nice week...
>
>Trent

I got my first West Bend slow cooker at my wedding shower in 1977. It lasted
for years but the metal warped a little so it was replaced with a newer model.
With both, I could brown items on the stove before slow-cooking. The newer
model, not new by any means, is more prone to scorch on the bottom. The heat
is less even and I have to accomodate for that. I use it about once a week
still.
>Follow Joan Rivers' example...get pre-embalmed!

Grismalkin

>>Can anyone recommend a good 5 or 6 quart slow cooker? Or can you
>>point me to where I could find lots of reviews?
>>Epinions.com was not helpful; they had 1 or two reviews for each
>>product.
>>
>>Any help would be greatly appreciated!

>Look at the West Bend. They're rectangular...which makes them easy
>for roasts, chicken, etc.
>
>And, with the new heavy-duty model, you can sear the meat on your
>stove...then move the pot to the cooker heating platform.
>
>I've had one for years...very pleased...and I hope to upgrade this
>Christmas!
>

>Have a nice week...
>
>Trent

I got my first West Bend slow cooker at my wedding shower in 1977. It lasted
for years but the metal warped a little so it was replaced with a newer model.
With both, I could brown items on the stove before slow-cooking. The newer
model, not new by any means, is more prone to scorch on the bottom. The heat
is less even and I have to accomodate for that. I use it about once a week
still.
>Follow Joan Rivers' example...get pre-embalmed!

I think mine's a RIVAL....

Oval shape ( seems to fit things better )
Removeable crock
"Keep-Warm" setting

Those are the features I'd look for.

On 16 Nov 2004 06:41:53 -0800, (MattB) wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a good 5 or 6 quart slow cooker? Or can you
>point me to where I could find lots of reviews?
>Epinions.com was not helpful; they had 1 or two reviews for each
>product.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated!

<rj>
ok2bwild

Kohls.com has these on sale this week ...
I have one in black and it does run a bit hot but I still like it!

http://www.kohls.com/products/produc...100880 173288

"<RJ>" > wrote in message

> I think mine's a RIVAL....
>
> Oval shape ( seems to fit things better )
> Removeable crock
> "Keep-Warm" setting
>
> Those are the features I'd look for.
>

> On 16 Nov 2004 06:41:53 -0800, (MattB) wrote:
>
>>Can anyone recommend a good 5 or 6 quart slow cooker? Or can you
>>point me to where I could find lots of reviews?
>>Epinions.com was not helpful; they had 1 or two reviews for each
>>product.
>>
>>Any help would be greatly appreciated!

> <rj>

Robbie

In article >,
"Sam D." > wrote:

> "MattB" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Can anyone recommend a good 5 or 6 quart slow cooker? Or can you
> > point me to where I could find lots of reviews?
> > Epinions.com was not helpful; they had 1 or two reviews for each
> > product.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!

> I have had the same 6 qt. Rival for over 20 years and it works just
> fine. I previously had another Rival crock pot which worked OK but it
> was just too small.

To get me try another crockpot, other than my Rival, you may have to put
a gun to my head.
To get me to part with the Rival I have..... you'd have to pull the
trigger.
Robbie

In article >,
"Sam D." > wrote:

> "MattB" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Can anyone recommend a good 5 or 6 quart slow cooker? Or can you
> > point me to where I could find lots of reviews?
> > Epinions.com was not helpful; they had 1 or two reviews for each
> > product.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!

> I have had the same 6 qt. Rival for over 20 years and it works just
> fine. I previously had another Rival crock pot which worked OK but it
> was just too small.

To get me try another crockpot, other than my Rival, you may have to put
a gun to my head.
To get me to part with the Rival I have..... you'd have to pull the
trigger.
Doug Weller

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 19:34:20 -0500, in rec.food.cooking, Robbie wrote:

>To get me try another crockpot, other than my Rival, you may have to put
>a gun to my head.
>To get me to part with the Rival I have..... you'd have to pull the
>trigger.

My Rival smart pot cooked too high IMHO -- and in any case was recalled as
the controls might have ignited! Not very encouraging. A lot of Rival
slow cookers seem to have been recalled for various reasons in the last 2
or so years.

Doug
--
Doug Weller -- exorcise the demon to reply
Doug & Helen's Dogs http://www.dougandhelen.com