jmk

Default Recipe software with nutritional values

I was wondering if someone could recommend some good software that will
calculate the (accurate!) nutritional value of recipes, etc. Of course
recipe management and printing (letter size) is a must as well :-) It
looks like Accuchef, Living Cookbook, MasterCook, Now You're Cooking,
and Cook'n might be options. What are your thoughts?
--
jmk in NC

Seattlejo

jmk wrote:
> I was wondering if someone could recommend some good software that will
> calculate the (accurate!) nutritional value of recipes, etc. Of course
> recipe management and printing (letter size) is a must as well :-) It
> looks like Accuchef, Living Cookbook, MasterCook, Now You're Cooking,
> and Cook'n might be options. What are your thoughts?

I'm testing Bigoven right now, (BigOven.com ) and it will caclulate
nutritional value. You have to link the ingrediants in order for it to
work, but it works ok for the most part. Big Oven is still in a testing
phase and you can download it for free.

I'm currently using Cook'n at home, and am finding that Big Oven is
easier to use . Just my .02

Deb/ Seattlejo
jmk

On 2/4/2004 1:05 PM, Seattlejo wrote:
> jmk wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if someone could recommend some good software that
>> will calculate the (accurate!) nutritional value of recipes, etc. Of
>> course recipe management and printing (letter size) is a must as well
>> :-) It looks like Accuchef, Living Cookbook, MasterCook, Now You're
>> Cooking, and Cook'n might be options. What are your thoughts?

> I'm testing Bigoven right now, (BigOven.com ) and it will caclulate
> nutritional value. You have to link the ingrediants in order for it to
> work, but it works ok for the most part. Big Oven is still in a testing
> phase and you can download it for free.
>
> I'm currently using Cook'n at home, and am finding that Big Oven is
> easier to use . Just my .02

Great! Can you add your own ingredients if it's not in their database?
Do either have spellcheck? Can you export the files (word, html,
text, whatever)?

--
jmk in NC

Seattlejo

jmk wrote:

> Great! Can you add your own ingredients if it's not in their database?
> Do either have spellcheck? Can you export the files (word, html, text,
> whatever)?

I've not found anything that is not in the list for nutritional
information, because it actually links up the ingrediant information
with the USDA nutritional information. No word on exporting in html text
or word, but you can email the recipes easily enough which does provide
them in a text format.
I'd love to see them exportable in HTML as well. but no work on that yet.

Oh and if you've used Cook'n , it doesnt take 2 minutes to add each
ingrediant to a recipe when you enter it in Big Oven. (and it has this
nifty screen import feature that you can basically cut and past recipes
and they will format ok)
Deb
Steve

Thanks SeattleJo.

To answer the questions:

1) Yes, you can add new nutritional elements, beyond the 6,200
already in the USDA database

2) Yes, we'll be adding export to HTML shortly.

BigOven
Try it free at www.bigoven.com
- The BigOven Team

-------
Seattlejo > wrote in message >...
> jmk wrote:
>

> > Great! Can you add your own ingredients if it's not in their database?
> > Do either have spellcheck? Can you export the files (word, html, text,
> > whatever)?
> >

> I've not found anything that is not in the list for nutritional
> information, because it actually links up the ingrediant information
> with the USDA nutritional information. No word on exporting in html text
> or word, but you can email the recipes easily enough which does provide
> them in a text format.
> I'd love to see them exportable in HTML as well. but no work on that yet.
>
> Oh and if you've used Cook'n , it doesnt take 2 minutes to add each
> ingrediant to a recipe when you enter it in Big Oven. (and it has this
> nifty screen import feature that you can basically cut and past recipes
> and they will format ok)
> Deb

Steve

SeattleJo and others:

Just a note. We posted BigOven 1.0 last night and it includes Export
to HTML, much more intuitive lookups on the nutritional content, and
many more new features. Post recipes to our servers, rate recipes
from others, get nutritional content from recipes, and a single,
grouped shopping list for multiple recipes.

Check it out for free at www.bigoven.com.

Happy cooking.

- Steve