kilikini

Default Smoked Chicken Recipes?

In addition to copious amounts of ham, we have an entire smoked chicken and
4 smoked leg quarters left. I was going to make a smoked chicken/roasted
garlic soup today with the carcasses, but does anyone have any good ideas on
what to do with the leftover chicken?

I've done a google and most are on how to MAKE smoked chicken - we did that
rather effectively. I've already done smoked chicken enchiladas, shoots, I
should freeze the leftovers today!

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone, anyone?

TIA

kili

jmcquown

kilikini wrote:
> In addition to copious amounts of ham, we have an entire smoked
> chicken and 4 smoked leg quarters left. I was going to make a smoked
> chicken/roasted garlic soup today with the carcasses, but does anyone
> have any good ideas on what to do with the leftover chicken?
>
> I've done a google and most are on how to MAKE smoked chicken - we
> did that rather effectively. I've already done smoked chicken
> enchiladas, shoots, I should freeze the leftovers today!
>
> Anyone have any ideas? Anyone, anyone?
>
> TIA
>
> kili

Smoked chicken is good, but it rather limits the possibilities for using
leftovers. I once tried using leftover smoked turkey in a turkey pot pie -
forget it! It was disgusting. The only thing I can suggest is sandwiches.
And even that doesn't sound really appealing. I say, tell TFM to stop
smoking (almost everything)! <G>

You *might* try this in a stir-fry... not sure how it would turn out but a
nice teriyaki glaze with pineapple and sesame might temper the smoke.

Jill

kilikini

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> kilikini wrote:
> > In addition to copious amounts of ham, we have an entire smoked
> > chicken and 4 smoked leg quarters left. I was going to make a smoked
> > chicken/roasted garlic soup today with the carcasses, but does anyone
> > have any good ideas on what to do with the leftover chicken?
> >
> > I've done a google and most are on how to MAKE smoked chicken - we
> > did that rather effectively. I've already done smoked chicken
> > enchiladas, shoots, I should freeze the leftovers today!
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas? Anyone, anyone?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > kili

> Smoked chicken is good, but it rather limits the possibilities for using
> leftovers. I once tried using leftover smoked turkey in a turkey pot

pie -
> forget it! It was disgusting. The only thing I can suggest is

sandwiches.
> And even that doesn't sound really appealing. I say, tell TFM to stop
> smoking (almost everything)! <G>
>
> You *might* try this in a stir-fry... not sure how it would turn out but a
> nice teriyaki glaze with pineapple and sesame might temper the smoke.
>
> Jill

Jill, the chicken is to DIE for though. Oh my GOD! TFM knows how to smoke
meat very well. But yeah, what do we do with the leftovers? I'm going to
try to make ham and chicken crepes with a whiskey bernaise sauce tomorrow
and see how that works with smoked meats. It will either be really good or
really awful. The soup is on now and smells AMAZING. But smoked chicken
soup is easy. After choppping up two chicken carcasses, we still have 4
smoked leg quarters left. I don't know how well it will freeze. :~(

Any and all ideas are welcome!

kili

jmcquown

kilikini wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> kilikini wrote:
>>> In addition to copious amounts of ham, we have an entire smoked
>>> chicken and 4 smoked leg quarters left. I was going to make a
>>> smoked chicken/roasted garlic soup today with the carcasses, but
>>> does anyone have any good ideas on what to do with the leftover
>>> chicken?
>>>
>>> I've done a google and most are on how to MAKE smoked chicken - we
>>> did that rather effectively. I've already done smoked chicken
>>> enchiladas, shoots, I should freeze the leftovers today!
>>>
>>> Anyone have any ideas? Anyone, anyone?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> kili

>> Smoked chicken is good, but it rather limits the possibilities for
>> using leftovers. I once tried using leftover smoked turkey in a
>> turkey pot

> pie -
>> forget it! It was disgusting. The only thing I can suggest is
>> sandwiches. And even that doesn't sound really appealing. I say,
>> tell TFM to stop smoking (almost everything)! <G>
>>
>> You *might* try this in a stir-fry... not sure how it would turn out
>> but a nice teriyaki glaze with pineapple and sesame might temper the
>> smoke.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Jill, the chicken is to DIE for though. Oh my GOD! TFM knows how to
> smoke meat very well. But yeah, what do we do with the leftovers?
> I'm going to try to make ham and chicken crepes with a whiskey
> bernaise sauce tomorrow and see how that works with smoked meats. It
> will either be really good or really awful. The soup is on now and
> smells AMAZING. But smoked chicken soup is easy. After choppping up
> two chicken carcasses, we still have 4 smoked leg quarters left. I
> don't know how well it will freeze. :~(
>
> Any and all ideas are welcome!
>
> kili

Chicken crepes are wonderful and the smoked chicken might just do the trick!
Add sauteed mushrooms for the inside 'treatment'; then make and roll the
crepes and do the whisky bernaise sauce (inside and on top). For the ham
crepes, I'd add cheese (of course); a nice light white cheese, perhaps
fontina (melts well, tastes great). Good luck!

Jill

PENMART01

>"kilikini"
>
>But yeah, what do we do with the leftovers? I'm going to
>try to make ham and chicken crepes with a whiskey bernaise sauce tomorrow
>and see how that works with smoked meats. It will either be really good or
>really awful. The soup is on now and smells AMAZING. But smoked chicken
>soup is easy. After choppping up two chicken carcasses, we still have 4
>smoked leg quarters left. I don't know how well it will freeze. :~(
>
>Any and all ideas are welcome!

A couple of weeks ago I prepared a quick lunch of ramen with diced smoked
kielbasa, was very good, especially with the sliced garlic and celery I added
too... perhaps your smoked chicken will be good in ramen too. Of course if you
have more time I don't see why smoked chicken can't be substituted for smoked
ham in split pea soup, or even bean soup... smoked chick certainly gotta be
better than tube steak.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

kilikini

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >"kilikini"
> >
> >But yeah, what do we do with the leftovers? I'm going to
> >try to make ham and chicken crepes with a whiskey bernaise sauce tomorrow
> >and see how that works with smoked meats. It will either be really good

or
> >really awful. The soup is on now and smells AMAZING. But smoked chicken
> >soup is easy. After choppping up two chicken carcasses, we still have 4
> >smoked leg quarters left. I don't know how well it will freeze. :~(
> >
> >Any and all ideas are welcome!

> A couple of weeks ago I prepared a quick lunch of ramen with diced smoked
> kielbasa, was very good, especially with the sliced garlic and celery I

added
> too... perhaps your smoked chicken will be good in ramen too. Of course

if you
> have more time I don't see why smoked chicken can't be substituted for

smoked
> ham in split pea soup, or even bean soup... smoked chick certainly gotta

be
> better than tube steak.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> Sheldon
> ````````````

Sheldon, I just did split pea soup with ham on Sunday! Ramen, though! yes!
I'm supposed to go to an Asian market on Saturday too. I LOVE this idea!
Thank you!

kili

Sharon Chilson

I don't know if you eat greens or not, but I always use smoked turkey
parts to flavor a pot of collard greens when I cook them. Smoked chicken
parts would work just as well.

kilikini

"Sharon Chilson" > wrote in message

> I don't know if you eat greens or not, but I always use smoked turkey
> parts to flavor a pot of collard greens when I cook them. Smoked chicken
> parts would work just as well.

ACK, greens! ACK! My new hubby loves them and cooks them, but I will NOT
go there. Sorry! The chicken is too good to use for...........that.
Sorry!

kili

kilikini

"Sharon Chilson" > wrote in message

> I don't know if you eat greens or not, but I always use smoked turkey
> parts to flavor a pot of collard greens when I cook them. Smoked chicken
> parts would work just as well.

ACK, greens! ACK! My new hubby loves them and cooks them, but I will NOT
go there. Sorry! The chicken is too good to use for...........that.
Sorry!

kili

Amarantha

"kilikini" > wrote in
:

> Anyone have any ideas? Anyone, anyone?

I've had a nice pasta dish that was made with smoked chicken. Some kind of
creamy sauce with capsicum, I think.

nil illegitimi carborundum

Amarantha

"kilikini" > wrote in
:

> Anyone have any ideas? Anyone, anyone?

I've had a nice pasta dish that was made with smoked chicken. Some kind of
creamy sauce with capsicum, I think.

nil illegitimi carborundum
Chef R. W. Miller

SMOKED CHICKEN BREAST SALAD

1 tbsp. butter
3/4 c. pecan halves
1 1/2 qt. mixed salad greens, washed and crisped
4 smoked chicken breast halves,
chilledOrange Vinaigrette

Melt butter in frying pan over low heat.
Add pecans and stir until nuts darken slightly and have a toasted flavor,
about 6 minutes.
Pour onto paper towels to drain.
Arrange an equal amount of salad greens on 4 dinner plates and sprinkle
greens equally with the pecans.
Cut each half-breast in slanting slices 1/4 inch thick.
Arrange overlapping slices of each half on a plate along side of greens.
Spoon vinaigrette over greens and chicken.

ORANGE VINAIGRETTE:

In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup orange juice,
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar,
2 tablespoons salad oil,
1 tablespoon thinly slivered or shredded orange peel (colored part only),
2 teaspoons honey,
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, and 1
/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper.

CHICKEN & ANDOUILLE SMOKED SAUSAGE GUMBO

1 chicken, cut up
Garlic powder
Cayenne pepper
1 c. chopped onion
1 c. chopped bell pepper
1 c. chopped celery
1 1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
Vegetable oil
7 c. chicken stock
1/2 lb. Andoville sausage or Polish kielbasa in 1/4" cubes
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 c. okra (optional)
Hot cooked rice

Remove excess fat from chicken pieces. Rub on garlic powder and cayenne. Let
stand 30 minutes. In a bowl combine onions, pepper and celery. Set aside.
Combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/2
teaspoon cayenne in a plastic bag. Add chicken pieces and shake. Reserve 1/2
cup flour.
In a heavy skillet heat 1 inch oil to very hot. Fry chicken until brown (5-8
minute side). Drain on paper towels. Pour cooled oil into glass measuring
cup. Scrape pan bottom and return 1/2 cup oil to the pan. Place pan over
heat; whisk in remaining 1/2 cup flour. Cook; whisk constantly until roux is
red brown (3-4 minutes). Don't scorch. Remove from heat and add vegetables.
Cook until vegetables are soft. Scrape pan bottom.
Place stock in large Dutch oven. Bring to boil. Add roux mixture tablespoons
at a time. Reduce heat to simmer; stir in Andoville sausage and minced
garlic. Simmer 45 minutes. Bone cooked chicken; cut meat into 1/2 inch
chunks. Stir in chicken. As a main course, serve 1/3 cup rice in soup bowl
with 1 1/4 cups gumbo.

CHICKEN DARLENE

2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts; ea. sliced in 1/2 horizontally
1 small vidalia onion,thinnly sliced
1 small jar of roasted red peppers; drained, patted dry and sliced into
strips
2 tbsp pesto sauce
2-4 thin slices of smoked gouda cheese
2-4 baby portabello mushrooms, sliced
1/4 c italian bread crumbs
1 tbsp parmesan cheese
1 tbsp chilled butterblack pepper

Can be assembled right in baking dish.
Start with bottom half of each breast, placed in dish side by side.
Place 1 tbsp. of pesto sauce on each breast bottom and spread evenly.
Next place strips of roasted red peppers (about 5-6 thin strips). Separate
the sliced onion into rings and place 3-4 rings per breast, adding more to
taste.
Next place sliced portabello mushrooms to cover onion layer. Last layer is
the smoked Gouda cheese, using enough to cover the last layer.
Top each with the other half of chicken breast.
Blend bread crumbs and parmesan cheese and sprinkle on top of chicken.
Season with black pepper to taste.
Cut butter into chunks and place on top of crumbs.
Bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 20-30 minutes. Bake covered with
foil for the first 15 minutes, uncovered for remaining time until browned.
Yields 2 sevings

Smoked CHICKEN AND HAM ROLLS

8 lg. smoked breasts
8 thin slices smoked ham
8 slices fontina cheese
5 tbsp. fine bread crumbs
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3 tbsp. grated Romano cheese
1 egg, beaten
3 tbsp. butter
1/4 c. chicken stock
1/3 c. dry vermouth

Bone chicken breasts; lay out and pound between plastic wrap to uniform
thickness - about 1/4 inch.
Cover each breast with 1 slice ham and 1 slice fontina cheese. Roll up and
fasten with toothpicks.
Or take each slice of ham and add shredded smoked chicken, 1 slice fontina
cheese. Roll up and fasten with toothpicks.

Combine salt, pepper, bread crumbs and Romano cheese. Dip breasts, or ham,
into beaten egg, then in bread crumb mixture.
In large skillet, melt butter and brown rolls on all sides. Transfer to
baking dish. Pour stock and vermouth in skillet over medium heat and deglaze
pan. Pour stock mixture over chicken rolls. (If desired, refrigerate at this
point.)
Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered, until meat is white, clear to center -
approximately 30-40 minutes depending on thickness of rolls.
Serves 8.
"kilikini" > wrote in message
> In addition to copious amounts of ham, we have an entire smoked chicken

and
> 4 smoked leg quarters left. I was going to make a smoked chicken/roasted
> garlic soup today with the carcasses, but does anyone have any good ideas

on
> what to do with the leftover chicken?
>
> I've done a google and most are on how to MAKE smoked chicken - we did

that
> rather effectively. I've already done smoked chicken enchiladas, shoots,

> should freeze the leftovers today!
>
> Anyone have any ideas? Anyone, anyone?
>
> TIA
>
> kili

Chef R. W. Miller

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> In addition to copious amounts of ham, we have an entire smoked chicken

and
> 4 smoked leg quarters left. I was going to make a smoked chicken/roasted
> garlic soup today with the carcasses, but does anyone have any good ideas

on
> what to do with the leftover chicken?
>
> I've done a google and most are on how to MAKE smoked chicken - we did

that
> rather effectively. I've already done smoked chicken enchiladas, shoots,

> should freeze the leftovers today!
>
> Anyone have any ideas? Anyone, anyone?
>
> TIA
>
> kili

sf

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:01:22 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>In addition to copious amounts of ham, we have an entire smoked chicken and
>4 smoked leg quarters left. I was going to make a smoked chicken/roasted
>garlic soup today with the carcasses, but does anyone have any good ideas on
>what to do with the leftover chicken?
>
>I've done a google and most are on how to MAKE smoked chicken - we did that
>rather effectively. I've already done smoked chicken enchiladas, shoots, I
>should freeze the leftovers today!
>
>Anyone have any ideas? Anyone, anyone?

I think it would make a great Cobb salad or slice it and serve over
Caesar.