Russ

Default Need a microwave oven with a limited timer for elderly woman

Does anybody know of a microwave with a maximum 45 sec. timer OR -
have any ideas how to adapt a microwave to make it safe
for a very forgetful elderly lady to operate. My mother has been
setting her microwave way too long lately and is in danger of having
it pulled from her assisted living apartment because she leaves food
in (to reheat) too long. She desperately needs it for heating her tea
as she has no stove (disconnected 5 years ago).
The setting would have to be no longer than 45 seconds. Any ideas?? I
believe she has a 900 watt sharp microwave and I could probably change
the timer if I knew how and where to get one. -- Thanks, Russ
jmcquown

Russ wrote:
> Does anybody know of a microwave with a maximum 45 sec. timer OR -
> have any ideas how to adapt a microwave to make it safe
> for a very forgetful elderly lady to operate. My mother has been
> setting her microwave way too long lately and is in danger of having
> it pulled from her assisted living apartment because she leaves food
> in (to reheat) too long. She desperately needs it for heating her tea
> as she has no stove (disconnected 5 years ago).
> The setting would have to be no longer than 45 seconds. Any ideas?? I
> believe she has a 900 watt sharp microwave and I could probably change
> the timer if I knew how and where to get one. -- Thanks, Russ

Assuming you are not a troll; I think you are giving your mother far too
little credit. She can probably push the button that says 1 minute on the
Sharp microwave. If not, and if she truly is a threat to the confines of
her location, she needs a care-giver who can heat up water for her tea for
her. Talk with your local hospices.

My mother is going to be 80 in January and is one of the most energetic
women I know. She's a tiny powerhouse and would really resent someone
saying she couldn't heat up a cup of water for tea in the microwave. But
then Mom is just like that.

Jill

Since heating water for tea is the prime goal, why not get an
electric kettle that turns itself off automatically once the
boiling point is reached.

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Russ wrote:

> Does anybody know of a microwave with a maximum 45 sec. timer OR -
> have any ideas how to adapt a microwave to make it safe
> for a very forgetful elderly lady to operate. My mother has been
> setting her microwave way too long lately and is in danger of having
> it pulled from her assisted living apartment because she leaves food
> in (to reheat) too long. She desperately needs it for heating her tea
> as she has no stove (disconnected 5 years ago).
> The setting would have to be no longer than 45 seconds. Any ideas?? I
> believe she has a 900 watt sharp microwave and I could probably change
> the timer if I knew how and where to get one. -- Thanks, Russ

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Katherine Becker "As god is my witness
I thought turkeys could fly"
NEVER SEND A FERRET TO DO A WEASEL's JOB --WKRP

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
sf

Jill, it looks like she's already in assisted living and is probably
suffering from some sort of dementia/senility or Alzheimer's. My
friend's mother put the sterling in recycling.

```````````````````````

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 06:48:23 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Russ wrote:
>> Does anybody know of a microwave with a maximum 45 sec. timer OR -
>> have any ideas how to adapt a microwave to make it safe
>> for a very forgetful elderly lady to operate. My mother has been
>> setting her microwave way too long lately and is in danger of having
>> it pulled from her assisted living apartment because she leaves food
>> in (to reheat) too long. She desperately needs it for heating her tea
>> as she has no stove (disconnected 5 years ago).
>> The setting would have to be no longer than 45 seconds. Any ideas?? I
>> believe she has a 900 watt sharp microwave and I could probably change
>> the timer if I knew how and where to get one. -- Thanks, Russ

>Assuming you are not a troll; I think you are giving your mother far too
>little credit. She can probably push the button that says 1 minute on the
>Sharp microwave. If not, and if she truly is a threat to the confines of
>her location, she needs a care-giver who can heat up water for her tea for
>her. Talk with your local hospices.
>
>My mother is going to be 80 in January and is one of the most energetic
>women I know. She's a tiny powerhouse and would really resent someone
>saying she couldn't heat up a cup of water for tea in the microwave. But
>then Mom is just like that.
>
>Jill

Dave Smith

Russ wrote:

> Does anybody know of a microwave with a maximum 45 sec. timer OR -
> have any ideas how to adapt a microwave to make it safe
> for a very forgetful elderly lady to operate. My mother has been
> setting her microwave way too long lately and is in danger of having
> it pulled from her assisted living apartment because she leaves food
> in (to reheat) too long. She desperately needs it for heating her tea
> as she has no stove (disconnected 5 years ago).
> The setting would have to be no longer than 45 seconds. Any ideas?? I
> believe she has a 900 watt sharp microwave and I could probably change
> the timer if I knew how and where to get one. -- Thanks, Russ

Microwaves are not a great idea for old people. First of all, so many of
them have trouble understanding how to use them as evidenced by your
mother's overcooking things in hers. The other problem is the scalding
hazard. Elderly people are at a higher risk of this than younger people.
If you just need to boil water you might be better off with a small
electric kettle with automatic shut off.

BOB

Dave Smith wrote:
> Microwaves are not a great idea for old people. First of all, so many of
> them have trouble understanding how to use them as evidenced by your
> mother's overcooking things in hers. The other problem is the scalding
> hazard. Elderly people are at a higher risk of this than younger people.
> If you just need to boil water you might be better off with a small
> electric kettle with automatic shut off.

Huh?
My Dad was cooking with microwaves before Amana made the Radar Range. I'd
consider him "Old" but I'd never even think that he'd have trouble understanding
how to use one.

Do you always make such generalizations and type before you do any thinking?
Oh, wait. That's exactly what you do (as evidenced by other posts and threads).

BOB

Dave Smith

BOB wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
> > Microwaves are not a great idea for old people. First of all, so many of
> > them have trouble understanding how to use them as evidenced by your
> > mother's overcooking things in hers. The other problem is the scalding
> > hazard. Elderly people are at a higher risk of this than younger people.
> > If you just need to boil water you might be better off with a small
> > electric kettle with automatic shut off.

> Huh?
> My Dad was cooking with microwaves before Amana made the Radar Range. I'd
> consider him "Old" but I'd never even think that he'd have trouble understanding
> how to use one.
>
> Do you always make such generalizations and type before you do any thinking?
> Oh, wait. That's exactly what you do (as evidenced by other posts and threads).

Actually, it was based on information I got from my wife, who does volunteer work
with elderly women, and from my sister in law who is a nurse. There are also
articles on the wen, which you are free to check out.

Wayne Boatwright

Dave Smith > wrote in
:

> BOB wrote:
>
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>> > Microwaves are not a great idea for old people. First of all, so many
>> > of them have trouble understanding how to use them as evidenced by
>> > your mother's overcooking things in hers. The other problem is the
>> > scalding hazard. Elderly people are at a higher risk of this than
>> > younger people. If you just need to boil water you might be better
>> > off with a small electric kettle with automatic shut off.

>> Huh?
>> My Dad was cooking with microwaves before Amana made the Radar Range.
>> I'd consider him "Old" but I'd never even think that he'd have trouble
>> understanding how to use one.
>>
>> Do you always make such generalizations and type before you do any
>> thinking? Oh, wait. That's exactly what you do (as evidenced by other
>> posts and threads).

> Actually, it was based on information I got from my wife, who does
> volunteer work with elderly women, and from my sister in law who is a
> nurse. There are also articles on the wen, which you are free to check
> out.

Hmmm... Can't find the "wen".

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne Boatwright

Dave Smith > wrote in
:

> BOB wrote:
>
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>> > Microwaves are not a great idea for old people. First of all, so many
>> > of them have trouble understanding how to use them as evidenced by
>> > your mother's overcooking things in hers. The other problem is the
>> > scalding hazard. Elderly people are at a higher risk of this than
>> > younger people. If you just need to boil water you might be better
>> > off with a small electric kettle with automatic shut off.

>> Huh?
>> My Dad was cooking with microwaves before Amana made the Radar Range.
>> I'd consider him "Old" but I'd never even think that he'd have trouble
>> understanding how to use one.
>>
>> Do you always make such generalizations and type before you do any
>> thinking? Oh, wait. That's exactly what you do (as evidenced by other
>> posts and threads).

> Actually, it was based on information I got from my wife, who does
> volunteer work with elderly women, and from my sister in law who is a
> nurse. There are also articles on the wen, which you are free to check
> out.

Hmmm... Can't find the "wen".

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

PENMART01

> " BOB" a@b. writes:
>
>Dave Smith wrote:
>> Microwaves are not a great idea for old people. First of all, so many of
>> them have trouble understanding how to use them as evidenced by your
>> mother's overcooking things in hers. The other problem is the scalding
>> hazard. Elderly people are at a higher risk of this than younger people.
>> If you just need to boil water you might be better off with a small
>> electric kettle with automatic shut off.

>Huh?
>My Dad was cooking with microwaves before Amana made the Radar Range. I'd
>consider him "Old" but I'd never even think that he'd have trouble
>understanding
>how to use one.
>
>Do you always make such generalizations and type before you do any thinking?

Dave is correct... and you're the one making generalizations; your dad is not
representitive of most seniors. It's not that older folks don't understand how
to use a microwave oven *per se*, any monkey can learn which buttons to press
(even you), it's that they don't understand (or are forgetful about) the basic
safety aspects, such as being sure to use microwave-pruf cookware, overheating
to the point of causing a fire or burning their mouths from superheated foods,
etc... in fact even young folks have problems related to safety, but seniors
are *in general* far more prone to misuse of all appliances.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>Wayne Boatwright says:
>
>Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> BOB wrote:

>>> Huh?
>>> My Dad was cooking with microwaves before Amana made the Radar Range.
>>> I'd consider him "Old" but I'd never even think that he'd have trouble
>>> understanding how to use one.
>>>
>>> Do you always make such generalizations and type before you do any
>>> thinking? Oh, wait. That's exactly what you do (as evidenced by other
>>> posts and threads).

>> Actually, it was based on information I got from my wife, who does
>> volunteer work with elderly women, and from my sister in law who is a
>> nurse. There are also articles on the wen, which you are free to check
>> out.

>Hmmm... Can't find the "wen".
>
>Wayne Noatwright

It's one key to the left.