Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spinach ... was Chicken Enchiladas

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 17:38:46 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I like spinach leaves in salad, but mostly I just like 'em wilted.
>>> Well made creamed spinach is just fantastic. I'll eat spinach with all
>>> sorts of things, even in scrambled eggs or with poached eggs.
>>> Freshly picked young spinach leaves... just love the stuff

>>When Angela was little, she loved that silver beet/chard. I could find
>>some
>>salad mixes with it in there and the side salads that they sold at
>>McDonalds
>>at the time had it in there. I would have to go through the salad and
>>pick
>>all of that out for her as it was the only part of the salad that she
>>really
>>liked. I wish I could have found it by itself but nobody sold it and I
>>didn't have a place to grow anything at the time.

> You could grow it in a pot, very easy to grow. It virtually looks
> after itself.

I really couldn't have in NY. Too many wild animals to try to grow anything
outside and because our apartment backed up right into the woods, we didn't
get enough sunlight. I did try growing some things in my kitchen but no go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chicken Enchiladas

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> sf wrote:
>> On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 14:58:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>>> Thank you!

>> Out of all the customers who shop at Trader Joe's, you and he are the
>> only two who seem to have a constant problem. Maybe the problem lies
>> with you two and not Trader Joe's.

> constant problem?
>
> you are confused
>
> nothing new about that of course

It's not constant for me. I stopped buying produce there years ago.
They're not convenient for me to shop at and I learned my lesson after
having been burned the 2 or 3 times I did buy it there. I really have no
reason to go there now, ever.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 17:40:20 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> My wife has a technique for cooking spinach that makes it tolerable.
> Start by putting a pan on high heat. Rinse the spinach with water and
> shake off excess water,repeat, and then rinse and don't shake... throw
> it into the hot pan, put the lid on and take it off the heat. Give it
> one minute, then stir it around and serve. It is tasty and does not have
> that nasty taste of cooked spinach.

Add some garlic and it's even better.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 20:57:29 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I have only had Swiss
> Chard twice, both in the last year... and nasty taste applied.

I remember when I was a kid, my grandfather told me I would like chard
because I liked spinach... but that wasn't true. I didn't eat chard
again until I was well into my adulthood and now I like it. I love
red and rainbow chard. Rainbow is the most common around here, so I
guess it's universal for people to like.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 21:59:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 17:38:46 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>When Angela was little, she loved that silver beet/chard. I could find
>>>some
>>>salad mixes with it in there and the side salads that they sold at
>>>McDonalds
>>>at the time had it in there. I would have to go through the salad and
>>>pick
>>>all of that out for her as it was the only part of the salad that she
>>>really
>>>liked. I wish I could have found it by itself but nobody sold it and I
>>>didn't have a place to grow anything at the time.

>> You could grow it in a pot, very easy to grow. It virtually looks
>> after itself.

>I really couldn't have in NY. Too many wild animals to try to grow anything
>outside and because our apartment backed up right into the woods, we didn't
>get enough sunlight. I did try growing some things in my kitchen but no go.

Yes, but what about now?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 3:13:15 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:

> ... It was a nasty place and the last time I was in there I got
> cut on a shelf and I couldn't get anyone to assist me. They wouldn't give
> me a paper towel or tissue or anything. The store people actually just
> walked off when I tried to speak to them...

This just cracks me up. Omigosh, people seem to react to you this way.

Yeah, I know, it is a slow Friday night for me and I just read that entire treatise about Staten Island from Miss "I freakin' hate New York"

Nellie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 14:51:35 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 04:14:08 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> So is ours. Is that a good thing?
>>>

>>It is purported to be the best.

> It works well, but it isn't very precise with the temperature. Maybe 5
> degrees higher or lower doesn't always matter when you're drying food.

Only really matters if you are following a raw diet. Because you can't
exceed 110 degrees with that. Some people won't even eat food at that high
of a temp.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nellie" > wrote in message
> On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 3:13:15 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> ... It was a nasty place and the last time I was in there I got
>> cut on a shelf and I couldn't get anyone to assist me. They wouldn't
>> give
>> me a paper towel or tissue or anything. The store people actually just
>> walked off when I tried to speak to them...
>>

> This just cracks me up. Omigosh, people seem to react to you this way.
>
> Yeah, I know, it is a slow Friday night for me and I just read that entire
> treatise about Staten Island from Miss "I freakin' hate New York"
>
> Nellie

No. *People* don't react to me that way. But a lot of people in NY react
to *all* people that way. Certainly not everyone in NY but many of them are
very rude. I also mentioned that particular store to a guy that I sometimes
talk to online and he said it was one of the worst. So it's not just me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 21:59:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 17:38:46 -0700, "Julie Bove"

m...

>>> You could grow it in a pot, very easy to grow. It virtually looks
>>> after itself.

>>I really couldn't have in NY. Too many wild animals to try to grow
>>anything
>>outside and because our apartment backed up right into the woods, we
>>didn't
>>get enough sunlight. I did try growing some things in my kitchen but no
>>go.

> Yes, but what about now?

No. For starters she no longer likes it. But I gave up on trying to grow
anything here as well. Wild animals, slugs, inconsistent weather... I
tried for several years. One year I got bumper crops of everything. That
was our second summer here. But after that? The onions bolted, something
kept eating the cucumber plants, the tomatoes either rotted from too much
rain or just didn't taste any better than what I could get from the store.
And overall it was just too expensive. I will just buy as needed.

My friend lives closer to Sumner in a 100+ year old farm. She does quite
well with the gardening but she doesn't have to resort to Earthboxes. Their
weather is a bit different from ours too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 12:00:51 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> So is ours. Is that a good thing?

>>Ahh do you dry shredded potatoes?

> No, so far I've only made tempeh with it. The tempeh has to stay
> between 31 and 35 degrees, but the temperature dial on the Excalibur
> is really crude. The machine also doesn't compensate for temperature
> changes, say between day and night. I have to babysit the process
> quite a bit, but the result is great so far.

I have never checked the temps. I stick in 'whatever' and leave it till I
remember. I was watching a vid yesterday about making dried egg. She was
very insistent about the temps - 131f - 135f. I checked the temps on mine
and it goes up to 145f It has never occurred to me to check the temps with
a thermometer but the I don't suppose I dry anything that has to be so
exact.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 7:54:34 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message ....
>
> > And all jokes aside, Mr.Tasmanian Farmer-head - we *all* know how
> > sheep farmers enrich their lives.

> LOL Gary, good one. :-)

A variation on a Missouri joke:

What's the differnce 'tween ****in' a sheep 'n ****in' a horse?
Ya don need no stepladder what to **** a sheep.

Winter asked, "So when are we going to get to meet the little fellow?"

"He's your age and stands over six feet tall, and I don't know. I haven't seen him for right around a year."

Winter's eyes got big and she snorted, "Right around a year? Who are you, Jed Clampett?" Then she realized that there were similarities beyond Ian's Ozark heritage. "You know, Ann. The first time we met, Ian said, "Yer so purty, I'd liketa take you home 'n bend you over a sawhorse."

"No, he didn't."

Winter stayed with her Ozarks voice, "Well, he was a-thinkin it. See? I don't put much stock in that librarian business. I think he done made that up. Ian was a hillbilly 'fore he come inta that money." She tilted her head to the side, and lowered her right eyebrow, "Sure as shootin'."

Copyright (c) 2014-2014 by Bryan Simmons. All rights reserved.

> Cheri

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 22:06:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> > sf wrote:

> >> Out of all the customers who shop at Trader Joe's, you and he are the
> >> only two who seem to have a constant problem. Maybe the problem lies
> >> with you two and not Trader Joe's.

> > constant problem?
> >
> > you are confused
> >
> > nothing new about that of course

> It's not constant for me. I stopped buying produce there years ago.
> They're not convenient for me to shop at and I learned my lesson after
> having been burned the 2 or 3 times I did buy it there. I really have no
> reason to go there now, ever.

In other words, you have no problem so you don't need to ever bring up
your opinion about their produce again.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 21:52:49 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 15:12:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> >> There are plenty of grocery stores. But keep in mind that a grocery
> >> store
> >> is not a supermarket. Most of what they had near me were the types of
> >> little mom and pop stores of my youth. Many had no produce at all.

> > OMG, Julie... even I know that NYC (which is not limited to Manhattan)
> > has green markets with superior vegetables.

> Maybe they do. I only went into NYC proper once aside from the trips to the
> Brooklyn Army Base. I lived on Staten Island. We had Family Fruit and some
> other icky looking open air produce market at the other end of the island.
> There may well have been more but nothing convenient to me. Going into the
> city certainly was not convenient to me and since I freaking hated NY in
> every way, shape and form, was not a place that I wanted to go.
>
> What part of this are you not getting? I lived on Fort Wadsworth on Staten
> Island. There was no place convenient to me with good produce. In fact,
> most of my neighbors did not cook when I lived there. Why? All of the
> restaurants delivered. They got delivery. I was one of the few people do
> actually did cook. I did get delivery too but not nearly as often as the
> other people.

What I am totally getting is you can't seem to find anything worthy of
eating, even when you're living in one of boroughs or NYC.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/28/2015 7:53 AM, sf wrote:

> What I am totally getting is you can't seem to find anything worthy of
> eating, even when you're living in one of boroughs or NYC.

It's amazing, no matter where she lives, the worst example
of any store chain is the one near her. Even her Costco
sucks and she's in Washington State, home of headquarters.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 09:56:47 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 3/28/2015 7:53 AM, sf wrote:
>
>> What I am totally getting is you can't seem to find anything worthy of
>> eating, even when you're living in one of boroughs or NYC.

>It's amazing, no matter where she lives, the worst example
>of any store chain is the one near her. Even her Costco
>sucks and she's in Washington State, home of headquarters.

If it/anything can't be found in NYC it simply doesn't exist... fact!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 10:49:43 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 12:00:51 -0000, "Ophelia"

m...

>>> No, so far I've only made tempeh with it. The tempeh has to stay
>>> between 31 and 35 degrees, but the temperature dial on the Excalibur
>>> is really crude. The machine also doesn't compensate for temperature
>>> changes, say between day and night. I have to babysit the process
>>> quite a bit, but the result is great so far.

>>I have never checked the temps. I stick in 'whatever' and leave it till I
>>remember. I was watching a vid yesterday about making dried egg. She was
>>very insistent about the temps - 131f - 135f. I checked the temps on mine
>>and it goes up to 145f It has never occurred to me to check the temps
>>with
>>a thermometer but the I don't suppose I dry anything that has to be so
>>exact.

> I guess I'm using it as an incubator, rather than as the dehydrator
> that it is. Still, I'd expect the temperature dial to get closer to
> the temperature that it indicates. And to take the ambient temperature
> into account.

Right. That makes sense.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 09:56:47 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 3/28/2015 7:53 AM, sf wrote:
>
> > What I am totally getting is you can't seem to find anything worthy of
> > eating, even when you're living in one of boroughs or NYC.

> It's amazing, no matter where she lives, the worst example
> of any store chain is the one near her. Even her Costco
> sucks and she's in Washington State, home of headquarters.

She should march in and tell them off!

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 17:00:10 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 21:59:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>

>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 17:38:46 -0700, "Julie Bove"

m...

>>> You could grow it in a pot, very easy to grow. It virtually looks
>>> after itself.

>>I really couldn't have in NY. Too many wild animals to try to grow anything
>>outside and because our apartment backed up right into the woods, we didn't
>>get enough sunlight. I did try growing some things in my kitchen but no go.

>Yes, but what about now?

The only wild beasts in NYC that would attack veggies are two legged,
but they're gonna lift some from the produce section, probably those
in cans and bags of frozen. I've been growing veggies in NYS
surrounded by many thousands of forested acres and very few critters
make off with my crops, mostly insect, rodent, and bird nibbles...
which only proves they're good eating... I just plant some extra to
share is all and there's plenty for me. I'm convinced that there's
nothing anyone can mention to do that the Bove hasn't a lame excuse
why she can't.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 22:21:05 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 17:40:20 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>> My wife has a technique for cooking spinach that makes it tolerable.
>> Start by putting a pan on high heat. Rinse the spinach with water and
>> shake off excess water,repeat, and then rinse and don't shake... throw
>> it into the hot pan, put the lid on and take it off the heat. Give it
>> one minute, then stir it around and serve. It is tasty and does not have
>> that nasty taste of cooked spinach.
>>

>Add some garlic and it's even better.

For even better stuff that spinach into a calzone with ricotta, mozz,
and genoa salami.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 28, 2015 at 12:58:04 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Nellie" > wrote in message
> > On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 3:13:15 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> >>

> >> ... It was a nasty place and the last time I was in there I got
> >> cut on a shelf and I couldn't get anyone to assist me. They wouldn't
> >> give
> >> me a paper towel or tissue or anything. The store people actually just
> >> walked off when I tried to speak to them...
> >>

> > This just cracks me up. Omigosh, people seem to react to you this way.
> >
> > Yeah, I know, it is a slow Friday night for me and I just read that entire
> > treatise about Staten Island from Miss "I freakin' hate New York"
> >
> > Nellie

> No. *People* don't react to me that way. But a lot of people in NY react
> to *all* people that way. Certainly not everyone in NY but many of them are
> very rude. I also mentioned that particular store to a guy that I sometimes
> talk to online and he said it was one of the worst. So it's not just me.

Yeah, they do. You've told us so many times. I figure you repel people because your hatred of everything shows on your face and so does your FY attitude.

What BS about New York. And yes, of course, you talked to someone online and discussed this very store and they feel the same as you, uhhhhh huhhhhh. Isn't that always your line? "'I'm not the only one who thinks this" ?

Nellie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 28, 2015 at 4:53:42 AM UTC-7, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 21:52:49 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> > "sf" > wrote in message
> > > On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 15:12:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"

> > > OMG, Julie... even I know that NYC (which is not limited to Manhattan)
> > > has green markets with superior vegetables.

> > Maybe they do. I only went into NYC proper once aside from the trips to the
> > Brooklyn Army Base. I lived on Staten Island. We had Family Fruit and some
> > other icky looking open air produce market at the other end of the island.
> > There may well have been more but nothing convenient to me. Going into the
> > city certainly was not convenient to me and since I freaking hated NY in
> > every way, shape and form, was not a place that I wanted to go.
> >
> > What part of this are you not getting? I lived on Fort Wadsworth on Staten
> > Island. There was no place convenient to me with good produce. In fact,
> > most of my neighbors did not cook when I lived there. Why? All of the
> > restaurants delivered. They got delivery. I was one of the few people do
> > actually did cook. I did get delivery too but not nearly as often as the
> > other people.

> What I am totally getting is you can't seem to find anything worthy of
> eating, even when you're living in one of boroughs or NYC.
>
> --
>
> sf

She and her husband ate in a hotel in Walnut Creek, Ca for seven nights because they couldn't find a restaurant. Walnut Creek, Ca, for goodness sake!!! Walnut Creek, Ca (as you know, sf) is one of the premier shopping, restaurant cities in California. And they couldn't find a place to eat!!!

Nellie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 28, 2015 at 6:56:59 AM UTC-7, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 3/28/2015 7:53 AM, sf wrote:
>
> > What I am totally getting is you can't seem to find anything worthy of
> > eating, even when you're living in one of boroughs or NYC.

> It's amazing, no matter where she lives, the worst example
> of any store chain is the one near her. Even her Costco
> sucks and she's in Washington State, home of headquarters.
>
> nancy

It really is unbelievable. Wherever she is, she finds the very worst of everything. But, you know her famous line, "and I'm not the only one who thinks so" What baloney!

Nellie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/28/2015 2:59 PM, Nellie wrote:
> On Saturday, March 28, 2015 at 6:56:59 AM UTC-7, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 3/28/2015 7:53 AM, sf wrote:
>>
>>> What I am totally getting is you can't seem to find anything worthy of
>>> eating, even when you're living in one of boroughs or NYC.

>> It's amazing, no matter where she lives, the worst example
>> of any store chain is the one near her. Even her Costco
>> sucks and she's in Washington State, home of headquarters.
>>
>> nancy

> It really is unbelievable. Wherever she is, she finds the very worst of everything. But, you know her famous line, "and I'm not the only one who thinks so" What baloney!
>
> Nellie

While I do read some online reviews I don't base my shopping choices on
them. You can usually tell the crazies from people with honest
complaints. Most of it is bullshit. Like the mad sweeper who was
wearing a turban and therefore must have been out to get her. Yeah,
right. Why would he want to do that?! No reason. At all.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 10:57:25 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 09:56:47 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:
>
>> On 3/28/2015 7:53 AM, sf wrote:
>>
>> > What I am totally getting is you can't seem to find anything worthy of
>> > eating, even when you're living in one of boroughs or NYC.

>> It's amazing, no matter where she lives, the worst example
>> of any store chain is the one near her. Even her Costco
>> sucks and she's in Washington State, home of headquarters.
>>

>She should march in and tell them off!

You are beating a dead horse. She used to get me really, really upset
with her willingness to publicly dump on a company's reputation.
Several times I suggested that she should complain to the company that
did her wrong. She refused. She doesn't care what she potentially
does to the lively hood or reputation of others. She doesn't care
about the bad impression she creates about those from the US or our
country. You must realize that she is totally self oriented in her
need to be special beyond anyone here and perhaps elsewhere. I
just read her for entertainment and figure it is good for my self
control to avoid the kind of responses I want to make.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/28/2015 2:59 PM, Nellie wrote:
> On Saturday, March 28, 2015 at 6:56:59 AM UTC-7, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 3/28/2015 7:53 AM, sf wrote:
>>
>>> What I am totally getting is you can't seem to find anything worthy of
>>> eating, even when you're living in one of boroughs or NYC.

>> It's amazing, no matter where she lives, the worst example
>> of any store chain is the one near her. Even her Costco
>> sucks and she's in Washington State, home of headquarters.

> It really is unbelievable. Wherever she is, she finds the very
> worst of everything.

What a drag.

> But, you know her famous line, "and I'm not the only one who thinks
> so" What baloney!

Yeah, the Secret Society of Seekers of Misery. Must be
exhausting looking at everything from that angle.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 28, 2015 at 1:33:12 PM UTC-7, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 3/28/2015 2:59 PM, Nellie wrote:

> >> It's amazing, no matter where she lives, the worst example
> >> of any store chain is the one near her. Even her Costco
> >> sucks and she's in Washington State, home of headquarters.

> > It really is unbelievable. Wherever she is, she finds the very
> > worst of everything.

> What a drag.
>
> > But, you know her famous line, "and I'm not the only one who thinks
> > so" What baloney!

> Yeah, the Secret Society of Seekers of Misery. Must be
> exhausting looking at everything from that angle.
>
> nancy

Exhausting and a drag is right. There's so much more good in life that she can't see.

Nellie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-03-28 2:39 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> My wife has a technique for cooking spinach that makes it tolerable.
>>> Start by putting a pan on high heat. Rinse the spinach with water and
>>> shake off excess water,repeat, and then rinse and don't shake... throw
>>> it into the hot pan, put the lid on and take it off the heat. Give it
>>> one minute, then stir it around and serve. It is tasty and does not have
>>> that nasty taste of cooked spinach.
>>>

>> Add some garlic and it's even better.

> For even better stuff that spinach into a calzone with ricotta, mozz,
> and genoa salami.

It's amazing how something with so much potential for a nasty taste can
be so good cooked with other things. We had dinner at a friend's place
a while back and she had cooked chicken breasts stuffed with cream
cheese and Swiss chard. She said the recipe actually called for goat
cheese. I tried to recreate it at home but used spinach and garlic. I
had thought it would be good with feta but had none on hand at the time.
Spinach and feta is great in Spanakopita. I have also had cheese and
spinach on a frozen pizza. It was very good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 01:04:29 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 21:59:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

om...

>>>I really couldn't have in NY. Too many wild animals to try to grow
>>>anything
>>>outside and because our apartment backed up right into the woods, we
>>>didn't
>>>get enough sunlight. I did try growing some things in my kitchen but no
>>>go.

>> Yes, but what about now?

>No. For starters she no longer likes it.

Ah.

>But I gave up on trying to grow
>anything here as well.

Oh.

>Wild animals, slugs, inconsistent weather... I
>tried for several years. One year I got bumper crops of everything. That
>was our second summer here. But after that? The onions bolted, something
>kept eating the cucumber plants, the tomatoes either rotted from too much
>rain or just didn't taste any better than what I could get from the store.
>And overall it was just too expensive. I will just buy as needed.
>
>My friend lives closer to Sumner in a 100+ year old farm. She does quite
>well with the gardening but she doesn't have to resort to Earthboxes. Their
>weather is a bit different from ours too.

Damn, looks like it's just not possible to grow veggies where you are
then. Maybe foraging is more suitable there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 28, 2015 at 1:32:21 PM UTC-7, Janet B wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 10:57:25 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 09:56:47 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:

> >> It's amazing, no matter where she lives, the worst example
> >> of any store chain is the one near her. Even her Costco
> >> sucks and she's in Washington State, home of headquarters.
> >>

> >She should march in and tell them off!

> You are beating a dead horse. She used to get me really, really upset
> with her willingness to publicly dump on a company's reputation.
> Several times I suggested that she should complain to the company that
> did her wrong. She refused. She doesn't care what she potentially
> does to the lively hood or reputation of others. She doesn't care
> about the bad impression she creates about those from the US or our
> country. You must realize that she is totally self oriented in her
> need to be special beyond anyone here and perhaps elsewhere. I
> just read her for entertainment and figure it is good for my self
> control to avoid the kind of responses I want to make.
> Janet US

You are right, Janet B. It is a good exercise in self-control. On occasion, I just can't resist ))) and when I have a day or two to post and read responses, well, I'm off and running. It is entertaining, though.

Nellie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 15:21:00 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 3/28/2015 2:59 PM, Nellie wrote:

>>> It's amazing, no matter where she lives, the worst example
>>> of any store chain is the one near her. Even her Costco
>>> sucks and she's in Washington State, home of headquarters.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> It really is unbelievable. Wherever she is, she finds the very worst of everything. But, you know her famous line, "and I'm not the only one who thinks so" What baloney!
>>
>> Nellie
>>

>While I do read some online reviews I don't base my shopping choices on
>them. You can usually tell the crazies from people with honest
>complaints.

Yeah, it's usually quite easy.

>Most of it is bullshit. Like the mad sweeper who was
>wearing a turban and therefore must have been out to get her. Yeah,
>right. Why would he want to do that?! No reason. At all.

But... he was wearing a turban. Isn't that enough for you??

She does have the propensity to mention ethnicity from time to time,
which never seems to be relevant to whatever it is she is complaining
about at the time. Yesterday or the day before, it was an Asian woman.
Another was in one of those Bodega cat threads (I think), she was
whining about how unsanitary a store was, and it was apparently
important to mention their race.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 17:22:18 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>It's amazing how something with so much potential for a nasty taste can
>be so good cooked with other things. We had dinner at a friend's place
>a while back and she had cooked chicken breasts stuffed with cream
>cheese and Swiss chard.

Hey, I like that idea. I might sub the cream cheese for camembert
though.

>She said the recipe actually called for goat
>cheese. I tried to recreate it at home but used spinach and garlic. I
>had thought it would be good with feta but had none on hand at the time.
> Spinach and feta is great in Spanakopita. I have also had cheese and
>spinach on a frozen pizza. It was very good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 17:32:18 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 07:19:39 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 21:37:27 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>>My parents were not in the habit of forcing us to eat things we didn't
>>>like but I remember an incident from when my brother was about 7. He
>>>refused to eat his peas. Mom insisted he try them. He wouldn't. It was
>>>Halloween and her threat was that he didn't eat his peas he could not go
>>>out to trick or treat. That was about 55 years ago and he still whines
>>>about it.

>>Sheesh. Tongue in cheek or is he serious?
>>
>>>I never did develop a taste for turnips, (boiled )parsnips or lima
>>>beans. I learned to like spinach, provided it was not cooked too much.
>>>The same goes for Brussels Sprouts.

>>All those things can be very unappealing if not used right...
>>conversely they can all be delicious if done right...
>>
>>Spinach. For some reason I haven't got around to planting any for a
>>long time and I'm getting some serious withdrawal issues at this
>>stage.
>>Must get some going again soon...

>Grow Swiss chard instead, much easier to grow/harvest, and cleaner,
>not all that sand.

I do grow chard, in fact I should really plant some more today.
Not sure what you mean by sand?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 14:32:12 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 17:00:10 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 21:59:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

om...

>>>I really couldn't have in NY. Too many wild animals to try to grow anything
>>>outside and because our apartment backed up right into the woods, we didn't
>>>get enough sunlight. I did try growing some things in my kitchen but no go.

>>Yes, but what about now?

>The only wild beasts in NYC that would attack veggies are two legged,
>but they're gonna lift some from the produce section, probably those
>in cans and bags of frozen. I've been growing veggies in NYS
>surrounded by many thousands of forested acres and very few critters
>make off with my crops, mostly insect, rodent, and bird nibbles...
>which only proves they're good eating... I just plant some extra to
>share is all and there's plenty for me. I'm convinced that there's
>nothing anyone can mention to do that the Bove hasn't a lame excuse
>why she can't.

Oh, I know that. I just like to see what she will come up with to
squash any suggestions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nellie" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, March 28, 2015 at 12:58:04 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:

>> > This just cracks me up. Omigosh, people seem to react to you this way.
>> >
>> > Yeah, I know, it is a slow Friday night for me and I just read that
>> > entire
>> > treatise about Staten Island from Miss "I freakin' hate New York"
>> >
>> > Nellie

>> No. *People* don't react to me that way. But a lot of people in NY
>> react
>> to *all* people that way. Certainly not everyone in NY but many of them
>> are
>> very rude. I also mentioned that particular store to a guy that I
>> sometimes
>> talk to online and he said it was one of the worst. So it's not just me.

> Yeah, they do. You've told us so many times. I figure you repel people
> because your hatred of everything shows on your face and so does your FY
> attitude.

No. I haven't told you any such thing. You just think I have.

> What BS about New York. And yes, of course, you talked to someone online
> and discussed this very store and they feel the same as you, uhhhhh
> huhhhhh. Isn't that always your line? "'I'm not the only one who thinks
> this" ?

BS about NY? It's BS that I don't like it? Or any big city? So!? I'm not
a city person. Not everyone is. Doesn't make it BS. And if you want to
look up that store, you can see the online reviews. They're not good. It's
the Pathmark on Hylan Blvd. by the K Mart.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 22:06:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>> > constant problem?
>> >
>> > you are confused
>> >
>> > nothing new about that of course

>> It's not constant for me. I stopped buying produce there years ago.
>> They're not convenient for me to shop at and I learned my lesson after
>> having been burned the 2 or 3 times I did buy it there. I really have no
>> reason to go there now, ever.

> In other words, you have no problem so you don't need to ever bring up
> your opinion about their produce again.

No.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 21:52:49 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 15:12:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > OMG, Julie... even I know that NYC (which is not limited to Manhattan)
>> > has green markets with superior vegetables.

>> Maybe they do. I only went into NYC proper once aside from the trips to
>> the
>> Brooklyn Army Base. I lived on Staten Island. We had Family Fruit and
>> some
>> other icky looking open air produce market at the other end of the
>> island.
>> There may well have been more but nothing convenient to me. Going into
>> the
>> city certainly was not convenient to me and since I freaking hated NY in
>> every way, shape and form, was not a place that I wanted to go.
>>
>> What part of this are you not getting? I lived on Fort Wadsworth on
>> Staten
>> Island. There was no place convenient to me with good produce. In fact,
>> most of my neighbors did not cook when I lived there. Why? All of the
>> restaurants delivered. They got delivery. I was one of the few people
>> do
>> actually did cook. I did get delivery too but not nearly as often as the
>> other people.

> What I am totally getting is you can't seem to find anything worthy of
> eating, even when you're living in one of boroughs or NYC.

That's not true at all. If Italian food is what you are after, that is
plentiful there. But that's not usually what I was after so I shopped
elsewhere. If you've never been to the Ft. Wadsworth area of Staten Island,
them you should just stay out of it. NYC is not designed for drivers. I'm
disabled. I can't take buses or walk far.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 3/28/2015 7:53 AM, sf wrote:
>
>> What I am totally getting is you can't seem to find anything worthy of
>> eating, even when you're living in one of boroughs or NYC.

> It's amazing, no matter where she lives, the worst example
> of any store chain is the one near her. Even her Costco
> sucks and she's in Washington State, home of headquarters.

I never said my Costco sucks! And what Costco would be *my* Costco? I shop
at 5 different ones!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 09:56:47 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>> On 3/28/2015 7:53 AM, sf wrote:
>>
>> > What I am totally getting is you can't seem to find anything worthy of
>> > eating, even when you're living in one of boroughs or NYC.

>> It's amazing, no matter where she lives, the worst example
>> of any store chain is the one near her. Even her Costco
>> sucks and she's in Washington State, home of headquarters.
>>

> She should march in and tell them off!

I NEVER said that sf! Amazing, all the liars here!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 10:57:25 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 09:56:47 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>>> It's amazing, no matter where she lives, the worst example
>>> of any store chain is the one near her. Even her Costco
>>> sucks and she's in Washington State, home of headquarters.
>>>

>>She should march in and tell them off!

> You are beating a dead horse. She used to get me really, really upset
> with her willingness to publicly dump on a company's reputation.
> Several times I suggested that she should complain to the company that
> did her wrong. She refused. She doesn't care what she potentially
> does to the lively hood or reputation of others. She doesn't care
> about the bad impression she creates about those from the US or our
> country. You must realize that she is totally self oriented in her
> need to be special beyond anyone here and perhaps elsewhere. I
> just read her for entertainment and figure it is good for my self
> control to avoid the kind of responses I want to make.
> Janet US

WTH are you talking about? I have made complaints to companies. I have
posted about it here. Sometimes I am merely making a comment and *you*
think I am dumping. I don't get it.