Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "The Tastemakers: Why We're Crazy for Cupcakes but Fed Up with Fondue"

Turns out the book was released last May, but I only saw it recently in
the library's front desk display.

From Amazon:

"Kale. Spicy sriracha sauce. Honeycrisp apples. Cupcakes. These days, it
seems we are constantly discovering a new food that will make us
healthier, happier, or even somehow cooler. Chia seeds, after a brief life
as a novelty houseplant and I Love the '80s punchline, are suddenly
a superfood. Not long ago, that same distinction was held by pomegranate
seeds, açai berries, and the fermented drink known as kombucha. So
what happened? Did these foods suddenly cease to be healthy a few years
ago? And by the way, what exactly is a 'superfood' again?

"In this eye-opening, witty work of reportage, David Sax uncovers the
world of food trends: Where they come from, how they grow, and where they
end up. Traveling from the South Carolina rice plot of America's premier
grain guru to Chicago's gluttonous Baconfest, Sax reveals a world of
influence, money, and activism that helps decide what goes on your plate.
On his journey, he meets entrepreneurs, chefs, and even data analysts
who have made food trends a mission and a business. The Tastemakers is
full of entertaining stories and surprising truths about what we eat,
how we eat it, and why."

(end)

David Sax also wrote "Save the Deli: In Search of Perfect Pastrami, Crusty
Rye, and the Heart of Jewish Delicatessen" in 2010. (That one has, at Amazon,
a longish letter to readers, from Sax.)

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 12:25:28 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> Turns out the book was released last May, but I only saw it recently in
> the library's front desk display.
>
> From Amazon:
>
> "Kale. Spicy sriracha sauce. Honeycrisp apples. Cupcakes.

Kale and Sriracha are nasty. Honeycrisp apples are nice if they *are*
crisp, and not mealy. Cupcakes usually suck because so many people frost
them with shitty frosting.

> Lenona.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 8:25:28 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> Turns out the book was released last May, but I only saw it recently in
> the library's front desk display.
>
> From Amazon:
>
> "Kale. Spicy sriracha sauce. Honeycrisp apples. Cupcakes. These days, it
> seems we are constantly discovering a new food that will make us
> healthier, happier, or even somehow cooler. Chia seeds, after a brief life
> as a novelty houseplant and I Love the '80s punchline, are suddenly
> a superfood. Not long ago, that same distinction was held by pomegranate
> seeds, açai berries, and the fermented drink known as kombucha. So
> what happened? Did these foods suddenly cease to be healthy a few years
> ago? And by the way, what exactly is a 'superfood' again?
>
> "In this eye-opening, witty work of reportage, David Sax uncovers the
> world of food trends: Where they come from, how they grow, and where they
> end up. Traveling from the South Carolina rice plot of America's premier
> grain guru to Chicago's gluttonous Baconfest, Sax reveals a world of
> influence, money, and activism that helps decide what goes on your plate.
> On his journey, he meets entrepreneurs, chefs, and even data analysts
> who have made food trends a mission and a business. The Tastemakers is
> full of entertaining stories and surprising truths about what we eat,
> how we eat it, and why."
>
> (end)
>
> David Sax also wrote "Save the Deli: In Search of Perfect Pastrami, Crusty
> Rye, and the Heart of Jewish Delicatessen" in 2010. (That one has, at Amazon,
> a longish letter to readers, from Sax.)
>

> Lenona.

Here's my guess for future food trends on the mainland. Boneless, skinless, chicken thighs; chicken katsu; cake noodle.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 2:08:01 PM UTC-5, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> Kale and Sriracha are nasty. Honeycrisp apples are nice if they *are*
> crisp, and not mealy.

Well, I like kale better than collard greens - and either is less expensive
than spinach, as a rule. (See that Portuguese soup I mentioned in the soup &
stew thread - it kale, sausage and sweet potatoes.)

I've always preferred apples that are easy to chew, such as Macintosh and
Cortlands. (I used to love Granny Smiths -somehow, it isn't just the hardness
I can't take these days. Too tart, maybe.)

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/1/2015 2:07 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> Cupcakes usually suck because so many people frost
> them with shitty frosting.

I wouldn't know. I've never bought one to try because they look nasty
piled high with frosting. Maybe some of the high end ones are
tolerable, but typical supermarket bakeries use frosting that tastes
like Crisco with sugar.

I want to eat good cake, not a mouthful of sugary paste, and I like
sugar. Thin coating on top is all that is needed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 10:41:24 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/1/2015 2:07 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
>

> > Cupcakes usually suck because so many people frost
> > them with shitty frosting.

> I wouldn't know. I've never bought one to try because they look nasty
> piled high with frosting. Maybe some of the high end ones are
> tolerable, but typical supermarket bakeries use frosting that tastes
> like Crisco with sugar.
>
> I want to eat good cake, not a mouthful of sugary paste, and I like
> sugar. Thin coating on top is all that is needed.

My guess is that a lot of frosting is crisco and sugar - that's some really stable stuff! It's so stable you can fill Oreos with it and it'll last forever.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bwrrryan wrote:

>Cupcakes usually suck because so many people frost
>them with shitty frosting.

Bwrrrryan is more into faggoty beefcakes... he can sure suck the cream
out of a Yankee Doodle... not to mention how his ******** gets
frosted. LOL-LOL
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 3/1/2015 2:07 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
>

>> Cupcakes usually suck because so many people frost
>> them with shitty frosting.

> I wouldn't know. I've never bought one to try because they look nasty
> piled high with frosting. Maybe some of the high end ones are tolerable,
> but typical supermarket bakeries use frosting that tastes like Crisco with
> sugar.
>
> I want to eat good cake, not a mouthful of sugary paste, and I like sugar.
> Thin coating on top is all that is needed.

Amen! I can't bear the thought of eating those things either.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 4:01:49 PM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>
> > I've never bought one to try because they look nasty
> > piled high with frosting. Maybe some of the high end ones are tolerable,
> > but typical supermarket bakeries use frosting that tastes like Crisco with
> > sugar.
> >
> > I want to eat good cake, not a mouthful of sugary paste, and I like sugar.
> > Thin coating on top is all that is needed.

> Amen! I can't bear the thought of eating those things either.

There is I a bakery here that specializes in 'gourmet' cupcakes and they are amazing and are piled high with icing and they make an artwork out of the icing. It may not be to everyone's liking but both cupcake and icing is simply delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 4:01:49 PM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>>
>> > I've never bought one to try because they look nasty
>> > piled high with frosting. Maybe some of the high end ones are
>> > tolerable,
>> > but typical supermarket bakeries use frosting that tastes like Crisco
>> > with
>> > sugar.
>> >
>> > I want to eat good cake, not a mouthful of sugary paste, and I like
>> > sugar.
>> > Thin coating on top is all that is needed.

>> Amen! I can't bear the thought of eating those things either.
>>

> There is I a bakery here that specializes in 'gourmet' cupcakes and they
> are amazing and are piled high with icing and they make an artwork out of
> the icing. It may not be to everyone's liking but both cupcake and icing
> is simply delicious.

I think they are very pretty but I couldn't be tempted to eat one

Please have my share

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I thought cupcake popularity started decreasing a year or so ago. The cupcake
shops proliferated unchecked in many metro areas, and unless they could morph
into a full-range bakery, most of them were doomed from the start.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 11:21:52 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> wrote in message

>>> Amen! I can't bear the thought of eating those things either.
>>>

>> There is I a bakery here that specializes in 'gourmet' cupcakes and they
>> are amazing and are piled high with icing and they make an artwork out of
>> the icing. It may not be to everyone's liking but both cupcake and icing
>> is simply delicious.

> I think they are very pretty but I couldn't be tempted to eat one
>
>Please have my share

Mine too... I think cupcakes are a useless food... if I want cake I'll
bake a whole cake and slice off what I want... I don't want my cake
baked in paper, then it has no crust, to me a dark brown crust is the
best part of baked goods. I prefer muffins anyway but I won't buy
those baked in paper... it's been many years since I've found a decent
bakery muffin, all in paper, way under baked (raw), and greasy...
nowadays more than ever people are afflicted with TIAD... I swear, I
can put fresh cat shit in one of those paper cups, top it with lots of
icing, and people will love it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
>I thought cupcake popularity started decreasing a year or so ago. The
>cupcake
> shops proliferated unchecked in many metro areas, and unless they could
> morph
> into a full-range bakery, most of them were doomed from the start.
>
> N.

We still have some here. We also have a Bundt cake store that never seems
to do much business although once I saw 3 people in there at once. We got a
coupon for a free mini cake. We didn't redeem it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Turns out the book was released last May, but I only saw it recently in
> the library's front desk display.
>
> From Amazon:
>
> "Kale. Spicy sriracha sauce. Honeycrisp apples. Cupcakes. These days, it
> seems we are constantly discovering a new food that will make us
> healthier, happier, or even somehow cooler. Chia seeds, after a brief life
> as a novelty houseplant and I Love the '80s punchline, are suddenly
> a superfood. Not long ago, that same distinction was held by pomegranate
> seeds, açai berries, and the fermented drink known as kombucha. So
> what happened? Did these foods suddenly cease to be healthy a few years
> ago? And by the way, what exactly is a 'superfood' again?
>
> "In this eye-opening, witty work of reportage, David Sax uncovers the
> world of food trends: Where they come from, how they grow, and where they
> end up. Traveling from the South Carolina rice plot of America's premier
> grain guru to Chicago's gluttonous Baconfest, Sax reveals a world of
> influence, money, and activism that helps decide what goes on your plate.
> On his journey, he meets entrepreneurs, chefs, and even data analysts
> who have made food trends a mission and a business. The Tastemakers is
> full of entertaining stories and surprising truths about what we eat,
> how we eat it, and why."
>
> (end)
>
> David Sax also wrote "Save the Deli: In Search of Perfect Pastrami, Crusty
> Rye, and the Heart of Jewish Delicatessen" in 2010. (That one has, at Amazon,
> a longish letter to readers, from Sax.)
>

> Lenona.

I read that recently after hearing a radio segment. The book was not as
informative as I thought it would be. It spent a lot of time on
cupcakes. I could swear there was more info in the interview than in
the book about kale, which I detest.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/28/2015 7:20 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 21:16:46 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> wrote:
>>> Turns out the book was released last May, but I only saw it recently in
>>> the library's front desk display.
>>>
>>> From Amazon:
>>>
>>> "Kale. Spicy sriracha sauce. Honeycrisp apples. Cupcakes.

> <snip>
>>> The Tastemakers is
>>> full of entertaining stories and surprising truths about what we eat,
>>> how we eat it, and why."
>>>
>>> (end)
>>>

>> I read that recently after hearing a radio segment. The book was not as
>> informative as I thought it would be. It spent a lot of time on
>> cupcakes. I could swear there was more info in the interview than in
>> the book about kale, which I detest.

> What did it say about Honeycrisp? I've always wondered what the BFD
> is about them.

If you like a sweeter apple, the Honeycrisp apparently combines great
flavor with great texture. However, it was bred in Minnesota and
performs best in that area's climate. The research scientists at the U
of Minn discovered several years after they released Honeycrisp for
worldwide production that its quality suffers when it is grown in more
temperate climates, and when its cultivation is not up to acceptable
standards (spacing, watering, fertilizing). If you've been
underwhelmed by a Honeycrisp apple, that may be the reason.

Learning from the Honeycrisp experience, the University restricted
sales of their most recent new release to a selected group of local
growers, which actually led to a lawsuit from growers who were denied
the opportunity to purchase the trees. Their argument: public funds
help pay for the research, so the U should sell the planting stock to
whoever wants it. As far as I know that argument did not succeed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 15:27:16 -0500, barbie gee >
wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Mar 2015, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
>
> > On 3/28/2015 7:20 AM, sf wrote:
> >>
> >> What did it say about Honeycrisp? I've always wondered what the BFD
> >> is about them.
> >>

> > If you like a sweeter apple, the Honeycrisp apparently combines great flavor
> > with great texture. However, it was bred in Minnesota and performs best in
> > that area's climate. The research scientists at the U of Minn discovered
> > several years after they released Honeycrisp for worldwide production that
> > its quality suffers when it is grown in more temperate climates, and when its
> > cultivation is not up to acceptable standards (spacing, watering,
> > fertilizing). If you've been underwhelmed by a Honeycrisp apple, that may be
> > the reason.
> >
> > Learning from the Honeycrisp experience, the University restricted sales of
> > their most recent new release to a selected group of local growers, which
> > actually led to a lawsuit from growers who were denied the opportunity to
> > purchase the trees. Their argument: public funds help pay for the research,
> > so the U should sell the planting stock to whoever wants it. As far as I know
> > that argument did not succeed.

> I've had terrible luck with Pink Lady / Cripps Pink, as well. Some have
> been the absolutely best apples I've had in my life, others were not so
> good in texture, and I always was quick to blame it on storage, or being
> picked too soon. Interesting that there are more factors than just those.

I saw Honeycrisp at the grocery store this weekend at an ungodly price
of over $4 lb, but I bought a smallish one anyway (to the tune of
$1.50). No idea where they were sourced, but I was underwhelmed and
still prefer Pink lady.

As far as apples grown in temperate climate vs apples grown where it
gets truly cold - that kind of yummy goodness spans apple varieties,
so I still don't understand how the flavor of honeycrisp supports
their exorbitant cost.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 14:17:31 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 15:27:16 -0500, barbie gee >
>wrote:

>> > If you like a sweeter apple, the Honeycrisp apparently combines great flavor
>> > with great texture. However, it was bred in Minnesota and performs best in
>> > that area's climate. The research scientists at the U of Minn discovered
>> > several years after they released Honeycrisp for worldwide production that
>> > its quality suffers when it is grown in more temperate climates, and when its
>> > cultivation is not up to acceptable standards (spacing, watering,
>> > fertilizing). If you've been underwhelmed by a Honeycrisp apple, that may be
>> > the reason.
>> >
>> > Learning from the Honeycrisp experience, the University restricted sales of
>> > their most recent new release to a selected group of local growers, which
>> > actually led to a lawsuit from growers who were denied the opportunity to
>> > purchase the trees. Their argument: public funds help pay for the research,
>> > so the U should sell the planting stock to whoever wants it. As far as I know
>> > that argument did not succeed.

>> I've had terrible luck with Pink Lady / Cripps Pink, as well. Some have
>> been the absolutely best apples I've had in my life, others were not so
>> good in texture, and I always was quick to blame it on storage, or being
>> picked too soon. Interesting that there are more factors than just those.

>I saw Honeycrisp at the grocery store this weekend at an ungodly price
>of over $4 lb, but I bought a smallish one anyway (to the tune of
>$1.50). No idea where they were sourced, but I was underwhelmed and
>still prefer Pink lady.
>
>As far as apples grown in temperate climate vs apples grown where it
>gets truly cold - that kind of yummy goodness spans apple varieties,
>so I still don't understand how the flavor of honeycrisp supports
>their exorbitant cost.

You're paying for transportation.

Here in upstate NY within a ten mile radius there are several orchards
where I can pick my own or buy a peck of excellent apples for $4. In
season local apples cost about 50¢/lb at the stupidmarkets. At the
orchards I can buy a whole bushel of drops for $5, very edible when
the bruise is cut away, people buy them for pies, I call them deer
apples, deer don't mind bruises or cores.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 1:49:22 PM UTC-5, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
> On 3/28/2015 7:20 AM, sf wrote:

> > <snip>

> >> I read that recently after hearing a radio segment. The book was not as
> >> informative as I thought it would be. It spent a lot of time on
> >> cupcakes. I could swear there was more info in the interview than in
> >> the book about kale, which I detest.

> > What did it say about Honeycrisp? I've always wondered what the BFD
> > is about them.
> >

> If you like a sweeter apple, the Honeycrisp apparently combines great
> flavor with great texture. However, it was bred in Minnesota and
> performs best in that area's climate. The research scientists at the U
> of Minn discovered several years after they released Honeycrisp for
> worldwide production that its quality suffers when it is grown in more
> temperate climates, and when its cultivation is not up to acceptable
> standards (spacing, watering, fertilizing). If you've been
> underwhelmed by a Honeycrisp apple, that may be the reason.
>
> Learning from the Honeycrisp experience, the University restricted
> sales of their most recent new release to a selected group of local
> growers, which actually led to a lawsuit from growers who were denied
> the opportunity to purchase the trees. Their argument: public funds
> help pay for the research, so the U should sell the planting stock to
> whoever wants it. As far as I know that argument did not succeed.

Another problem with Honeycrisp around here is juniper rust. We have a lot
of cedar trees in these parts. I have to spray my Goldrush trees several
times a season.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Moe DeLoughan wrote:
> On 3/28/2015 7:20 AM, sf wrote:

>> <snip>

>>> I read that recently after hearing a radio segment. The book was not as
>>> informative as I thought it would be. It spent a lot of time on
>>> cupcakes. I could swear there was more info in the interview than in
>>> the book about kale, which I detest.

>> What did it say about Honeycrisp? I've always wondered what the BFD
>> is about them.
>>

> If you like a sweeter apple, the Honeycrisp apparently combines great
> flavor with great texture. However, it was bred in Minnesota and
> performs best in that area's climate. The research scientists at the U
> of Minn discovered several years after they released Honeycrisp for
> worldwide production that its quality suffers when it is grown in more
> temperate climates, and when its cultivation is not up to acceptable
> standards (spacing, watering, fertilizing). If you've been underwhelmed
> by a Honeycrisp apple, that may be the reason.
>
> Learning from the Honeycrisp experience, the University restricted sales
> of their most recent new release to a selected group of local growers,
> which actually led to a lawsuit from growers who were denied the
> opportunity to purchase the trees. Their argument: public funds help pay
> for the research, so the U should sell the planting stock to whoever
> wants it. As far as I know that argument did not succeed.

I had the book out of the library and don't recall what was said. It
did contain a lot of information about one apple, but I am not sure what
it was.