Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nachos

Yes, I am starting a new post because I am getting fed up at cshenk implying
that I am clueless. The first time I ever had them was back in the last
1960's and they were pretty much just like the originals shown here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nachos

Since that time I have had them with all manner of toppings, including
(blech!) shredded iceberg lettuce on Cape Cod.

There is also the kind that you can get at movie theaters, snack bars and
various concession stands that have a cheese sauce which may be put on the
side or over the top of the chips and they may or may not include hot
peppers.

But my question is... How do you make them at home? Assuming that you do.
Because I *always* make them like the link that I put up here. Chips and
shredded cheese for sure. Baked in the oven is best but if I'm in a hurry I
will nuke them. My parents always got them with nothing but cheese on them
but I happen to like additional things like hot peppers, onions, tomatoes,
olives, even beans.

And back when I ate cheese or corn for that matter, I wouldn't turn down the
snack bar type with the cheese sauce. That is not the sort of thing I would
ever make at home or serve to a guest but it was nice to eat a few bites of
it now and then if I was out and hungry.

So... cshenk claims that nachos are a dip. Who here makes theirs as a dip?
And who here makes the baked with shredded cheese? Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/31/2015 10:38 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Yes, I am starting a new post because I am getting fed up at cshenk
> implying that I am clueless. The first time I ever had them was back in
> the last 1960's and they were pretty much just like the originals shown
> here.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nachos
>
> Since that time I have had them with all manner of toppings, including
> (blech!) shredded iceberg lettuce on Cape Cod.
>
> There is also the kind that you can get at movie theaters, snack bars
> and various concession stands that have a cheese sauce which may be put
> on the side or over the top of the chips and they may or may not include
> hot peppers.
>
> But my question is... How do you make them at home? Assuming that you
> do. Because I *always* make them like the link that I put up here.
> Chips and shredded cheese for sure. Baked in the oven is best but if
> I'm in a hurry I will nuke them. My parents always got them with
> nothing but cheese on them but I happen to like additional things like
> hot peppers, onions, tomatoes, olives, even beans.
>
> And back when I ate cheese or corn for that matter, I wouldn't turn down
> the snack bar type with the cheese sauce. That is not the sort of thing
> I would ever make at home or serve to a guest but it was nice to eat a
> few bites of it now and then if I was out and hungry.
>
> So... cshenk claims that nachos are a dip. Who here makes theirs as a
> dip? And who here makes the baked with shredded cheese? Thanks!

I like them baked, with shredded cheese and other toppings. Sometimes I
will make up a pot of chili with beans and use that as a topping. Other
times I will make a "Mexican pot roast" and shred that as a topping.
Finish with sliced pickled jalapenos, sliced black olives, raw green
onions, and sour cream.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Travis McGee" > wrote in message
> On 1/31/2015 10:38 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Yes, I am starting a new post because I am getting fed up at cshenk
>> implying that I am clueless. The first time I ever had them was back in
>> the last 1960's and they were pretty much just like the originals shown
>> here.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nachos
>>
>> Since that time I have had them with all manner of toppings, including
>> (blech!) shredded iceberg lettuce on Cape Cod.
>>
>> There is also the kind that you can get at movie theaters, snack bars
>> and various concession stands that have a cheese sauce which may be put
>> on the side or over the top of the chips and they may or may not include
>> hot peppers.
>>
>> But my question is... How do you make them at home? Assuming that you
>> do. Because I *always* make them like the link that I put up here.
>> Chips and shredded cheese for sure. Baked in the oven is best but if
>> I'm in a hurry I will nuke them. My parents always got them with
>> nothing but cheese on them but I happen to like additional things like
>> hot peppers, onions, tomatoes, olives, even beans.
>>
>> And back when I ate cheese or corn for that matter, I wouldn't turn down
>> the snack bar type with the cheese sauce. That is not the sort of thing
>> I would ever make at home or serve to a guest but it was nice to eat a
>> few bites of it now and then if I was out and hungry.
>>
>> So... cshenk claims that nachos are a dip. Who here makes theirs as a
>> dip? And who here makes the baked with shredded cheese? Thanks!

> I like them baked, with shredded cheese and other toppings. Sometimes I
> will make up a pot of chili with beans and use that as a topping. Other
> times I will make a "Mexican pot roast" and shred that as a topping.
> Finish with sliced pickled jalapenos, sliced black olives, raw green
> onions, and sour cream.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Yes, I am starting a new post because I am getting fed up at cshenk
> implying that I am clueless. The first time I ever had them was back in
> the last 1960's and they were pretty much just like the originals shown
> here.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nachos
>
> Since that time I have had them with all manner of toppings, including
> (blech!) shredded iceberg lettuce on Cape Cod.
>
> There is also the kind that you can get at movie theaters, snack bars and
> various concession stands that have a cheese sauce which may be put on the
> side or over the top of the chips and they may or may not include hot
> peppers.
>
> But my question is... How do you make them at home? Assuming that you
> do. Because I *always* make them like the link that I put up here. Chips
> and shredded cheese for sure. Baked in the oven is best but if I'm in a
> hurry I will nuke them. My parents always got them with nothing but
> cheese on them but I happen to like additional things like hot peppers,
> onions, tomatoes, olives, even beans.
>
> And back when I ate cheese or corn for that matter, I wouldn't turn down
> the snack bar type with the cheese sauce. That is not the sort of thing I
> would ever make at home or serve to a guest but it was nice to eat a few
> bites of it now and then if I was out and hungry.
>
> So... cshenk claims that nachos are a dip. Who here makes theirs as a
> dip? And who here makes the baked with shredded cheese? Thanks!

I like them baked, but haven't made them in a long time. I do like extra
toppings too, especially olives and onions.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 9:38:23 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> The first time I ever had them was back in the last
> 1960's and they were pretty much just like the originals shown here.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nachos
>
> But my question is... How do you make them at home? Assuming that you do.
> Because I *always* make them like the link. Who here makes theirs as a dip?
> And who here makes the baked with shredded cheese? Thanks!

I cook hamburger with taco seasoning added and simmered. I spread tortilla chips on a plate and then drizzle cheese over them and over the cheese I will spread the taco meat. Sometimes I will add sliced jalapeno peppers and salsa as well. This dish is not baked as the cheese is already melted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Yes, I am starting a new post because I am getting fed up at cshenk
>> implying that I am clueless. The first time I ever had them was back in
>> the last 1960's and they were pretty much just like the originals shown
>> here.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nachos
>>
>> Since that time I have had them with all manner of toppings, including
>> (blech!) shredded iceberg lettuce on Cape Cod.
>>
>> There is also the kind that you can get at movie theaters, snack bars and
>> various concession stands that have a cheese sauce which may be put on
>> the side or over the top of the chips and they may or may not include hot
>> peppers.
>>
>> But my question is... How do you make them at home? Assuming that you
>> do. Because I *always* make them like the link that I put up here. Chips
>> and shredded cheese for sure. Baked in the oven is best but if I'm in a
>> hurry I will nuke them. My parents always got them with nothing but
>> cheese on them but I happen to like additional things like hot peppers,
>> onions, tomatoes, olives, even beans.
>>
>> And back when I ate cheese or corn for that matter, I wouldn't turn down
>> the snack bar type with the cheese sauce. That is not the sort of thing
>> I would ever make at home or serve to a guest but it was nice to eat a
>> few bites of it now and then if I was out and hungry.
>>
>> So... cshenk claims that nachos are a dip. Who here makes theirs as a
>> dip? And who here makes the baked with shredded cheese? Thanks!

> I like them baked, but haven't made them in a long time. I do like extra
> toppings too, especially olives and onions.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 9:38:23 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> The first time I ever had them was back in the last
> 1960's and they were pretty much just like the originals shown here.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nachos
>
> But my question is... How do you make them at home? Assuming that you
> do.
> Because I *always* make them like the link. Who here makes theirs as a
> dip?
> And who here makes the baked with shredded cheese? Thanks!

I cook hamburger with taco seasoning added and simmered. I spread tortilla
chips on a plate and then drizzle cheese over them and over the cheese I
will spread the taco meat. Sometimes I will add sliced jalapeno peppers and
salsa as well. This dish is not baked as the cheese is already melted.

---

What kind of cheese?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 1:00:56 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> What kind of cheese?

It's a jarred con queso cheese. Tostito makes this as well as grocery stores produce their own house brand. I'll take out however much I'll need from the jar and put it in a stoneware cup or microwave safe bowl and heat it covered until hot. When it's heated it pours easily over the tortilla chips. The taco meat I put on top of this cheese clings to it and makes for not too messy eating. :-)

Anything can be added on top such as sour cream and/or chopped tomatoes or onions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 1:00:56 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> What kind of cheese?

It's a jarred con queso cheese. Tostito makes this as well as grocery
stores produce their own house brand. I'll take out however much I'll need
from the jar and put it in a stoneware cup or microwave safe bowl and heat
it covered until hot. When it's heated it pours easily over the tortilla
chips. The taco meat I put on top of this cheese clings to it and makes for
not too messy eating. :-)

Anything can be added on top such as sour cream and/or chopped tomatoes or
onions.

---

Hmmm... Okay. I buy that stuff but it is dip. We don't use it for nachos.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 1:39:00 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> Hmmm... Okay. I buy that stuff but it is dip. We don't use it for nachos.

The jar does say it's a 'cheese dip.' But it works great on those tortilla chips to help any additions cling so they don't slide off onto the plate or in your lap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 1:39:00 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Hmmm... Okay. I buy that stuff but it is dip. We don't use it for
>> nachos.
>>

> The jar does say it's a 'cheese dip.' But it works great on those
> tortilla chips to help any additions cling so they don't slide off onto
> the plate or in your lap.

Okay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> So... cshenk claims that nachos are a dip. Who here makes theirs as a dip?
> And who here makes the baked with shredded cheese? Thanks!

What Carol is talking about (me too) are commonly called supreme
nachos. Nachos come in many forms, sometimes by area or just personal
taste. I've also made the plain oven ones with just sharp cheddar and
maybe a jalapeno slice. Those are great snacks. Below is my version of
nachos as a full meal.

Dinner Nachos

ingredients:
- approx. 1.5 lbs ground beast
- 2-3 medium onions, chopped
- several shakes of worchestershire sauce

- 1 packet of dry taco seasoning
- 2 16oz jars of medium-heat chunky salsa
- about 5oz extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 16oz sour cream
- white tortilla chips

Fry meat, onions and worchestershire sauce until done, drain grease.
Stir in the dry taco seasoning, 12oz of salsa and cheddar cheese.
Heat until cheese is melted and all is hot.

On a large plate, put some of the above meaty mix in a pile. Then put
some salsa in another pile. Finally add a pile of sour cream.

Eat with tortilla chips, scooping some from each pile per chip.
YUM!!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> So... cshenk claims that nachos are a dip. Who here makes theirs as a
>> dip?
>> And who here makes the baked with shredded cheese? Thanks!

> What Carol is talking about (me too) are commonly called supreme
> nachos. Nachos come in many forms, sometimes by area or just personal
> taste. I've also made the plain oven ones with just sharp cheddar and
> maybe a jalapeno slice. Those are great snacks. Below is my version of
> nachos as a full meal.

> Dinner Nachos
>
> ingredients:
> - approx. 1.5 lbs ground beast
> - 2-3 medium onions, chopped
> - several shakes of worchestershire sauce
>
> - 1 packet of dry taco seasoning
> - 2 16oz jars of medium-heat chunky salsa
> - about 5oz extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
> - 16oz sour cream
> - white tortilla chips
>
> Fry meat, onions and worchestershire sauce until done, drain grease.
> Stir in the dry taco seasoning, 12oz of salsa and cheddar cheese.
> Heat until cheese is melted and all is hot.
>
> On a large plate, put some of the above meaty mix in a pile. Then put
> some salsa in another pile. Finally add a pile of sour cream.
>
> Eat with tortilla chips, scooping some from each pile per chip.
> YUM!!!!!

That wouldn't be something that is served around here. I am talking about
baked ones. And nothing that is a dip would be called nachos. Not ever.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/1/2015 12:25 AM, Cheri wrote:

> I like them baked, but haven't made them in a long time. I do like extra
> toppings too, especially olives and onions.

I spread nachos on a plate, cover them with shredded cheese, some salsa
and sometimes sliced jalapenos... then into the microwave until the
cheese melts (usually about 2 to 3 minutes). I use a blend so shredded
cheese of cheddar and Monterrey Jack that we get a Sam's Club.

You could add meat, beans, whatever if you are looking for something
more substantial.

Go light on the salsa and the nachos don't get gooey.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doritos and other similar chips irritate the roof of my mouth, even fritos do a little bit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

(snip)

> So... cshenk claims that nachos are a dip. Who here makes theirs as a dip?
> And who here makes the baked with shredded cheese? Thanks!

tortilla chips + cheese [sauce] + extras = nachos

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have put plain fritos in a flat dish and poured heated Ragu cheddar sauce over them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >>
> >> So... cshenk claims that nachos are a dip. Who here makes theirs as a
> >> dip?
> >> And who here makes the baked with shredded cheese? Thanks!

> > What Carol is talking about (me too) are commonly called supreme
> > nachos. Nachos come in many forms, sometimes by area or just personal
> > taste. I've also made the plain oven ones with just sharp cheddar and
> > maybe a jalapeno slice. Those are great snacks. Below is my version of
> > nachos as a full meal.

> > Dinner Nachos
> >
> > ingredients:
> > - approx. 1.5 lbs ground beast
> > - 2-3 medium onions, chopped
> > - several shakes of worchestershire sauce
> >
> > - 1 packet of dry taco seasoning
> > - 2 16oz jars of medium-heat chunky salsa
> > - about 5oz extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
> > - 16oz sour cream
> > - white tortilla chips
> >
> > Fry meat, onions and worchestershire sauce until done, drain grease.
> > Stir in the dry taco seasoning, 12oz of salsa and cheddar cheese.
> > Heat until cheese is melted and all is hot.
> >
> > On a large plate, put some of the above meaty mix in a pile. Then put
> > some salsa in another pile. Finally add a pile of sour cream.
> >
> > Eat with tortilla chips, scooping some from each pile per chip.
> > YUM!!!!!

> That wouldn't be something that is served around here. I am talking about
> baked ones. And nothing that is a dip would be called nachos. Not ever.

Bullshit Julie. I'm talking about homemade supreme nachos not
commercial bought. Everyone's home recipe is different. You have no
clue to what your neighbors eat as nachos or to even what other
restaurants serve.

Even if you put all the extra things on your nachos and oven bake
them. They will still sog out the chips. For what you claim, it sounds
like you've never done that.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Feb 2015 02:35:15 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> So... cshenk claims that nachos are a dip. Who here makes theirs as a
>>> dip?
>>> And who here makes the baked with shredded cheese? Thanks!

>> What Carol is talking about (me too) are commonly called supreme
>> nachos. Nachos come in many forms, sometimes by area or just personal
>> taste. I've also made the plain oven ones with just sharp cheddar and
>> maybe a jalapeno slice. Those are great snacks. Below is my version of
>> nachos as a full meal.

>> Dinner Nachos
>>
>> ingredients:
>> - approx. 1.5 lbs ground beast
>> - 2-3 medium onions, chopped
>> - several shakes of worchestershire sauce
>>
>> - 1 packet of dry taco seasoning
>> - 2 16oz jars of medium-heat chunky salsa
>> - about 5oz extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
>> - 16oz sour cream
>> - white tortilla chips
>>
>> Fry meat, onions and worchestershire sauce until done, drain grease.
>> Stir in the dry taco seasoning, 12oz of salsa and cheddar cheese.
>> Heat until cheese is melted and all is hot.
>>
>> On a large plate, put some of the above meaty mix in a pile. Then put
>> some salsa in another pile. Finally add a pile of sour cream.
>>
>> Eat with tortilla chips, scooping some from each pile per chip.
>> YUM!!!!!

>That wouldn't be something that is served around here. I am talking about
>baked ones. And nothing that is a dip would be called nachos. Not ever.

I thought nachos were the chips. And any time I've eaten them, they
came with salsa and sour cream and nothing else.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I avoid anything made from white corn like Tostitos. Yellow corn products have lutein and zeaxanthin for our eyes, white corn doesn't. For some reason Corn Chex cereal has lot more of the above mentioned carotenoids than other corn based cereals.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-02-01 9:39 AM, tert in seattle wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
>> So... cshenk claims that nachos are a dip. Who here makes theirs as a dip?
>> And who here makes the baked with shredded cheese? Thanks!

> tortilla chips + cheese [sauce] + extras = nachos

I thought cshenk said Julie was a dip. Or am I confusing her with a
bunch of other people who say she is a dip?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/31/2015 9:38 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Yes, I am starting a new post because I am getting fed up at cshenk
> implying that I am clueless. The first time I ever had them was back in
> the last 1960's and they were pretty much just like the originals shown
> here.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nachos
>
> Since that time I have had them with all manner of toppings, including
> (blech!) shredded iceberg lettuce on Cape Cod.
>
> There is also the kind that you can get at movie theaters, snack bars
> and various concession stands that have a cheese sauce which may be put
> on the side or over the top of the chips and they may or may not include
> hot peppers.
>
> But my question is... How do you make them at home? Assuming that you
> do. Because I *always* make them like the link that I put up here.
> Chips and shredded cheese for sure. Baked in the oven is best but if
> I'm in a hurry I will nuke them. My parents always got them with
> nothing but cheese on them but I happen to like additional things like
> hot peppers, onions, tomatoes, olives, even beans.
>
> And back when I ate cheese or corn for that matter, I wouldn't turn down
> the snack bar type with the cheese sauce. That is not the sort of thing
> I would ever make at home or serve to a guest but it was nice to eat a
> few bites of it now and then if I was out and hungry.
>
> So... cshenk claims that nachos are a dip. Who here makes theirs as a
> dip? And who here makes the baked with shredded cheese? Thanks!

I made nachos for dinner last night. I browned ground chuck with onions
and garlic and added standard chili powder, cumin, New Mexico Chili
powder and a pinch or two of ancho chili powder plus a bit of salt and
large dice canned tomato (because I like tomato). Let is all cook for
about 40 min.

Plated the corn chips, covered with the meat mixture. Topped with
shredded Jack cheese and some grated cojito cheese and baked until
cheese melted.

Topped with salsa and sour cream. Accompanied it with a bottle of
Sierra Nevada ale.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 05:17:20 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > So... cshenk claims that nachos are a dip. Who here makes theirs as a dip?
> > And who here makes the baked with shredded cheese? Thanks!

> What Carol is talking about (me too) are commonly called supreme
> nachos. Nachos come in many forms, sometimes by area or just personal
> taste. I've also made the plain oven ones with just sharp cheddar and
> maybe a jalapeno slice. Those are great snacks. Below is my version of
> nachos as a full meal.

They're called Super Nachos on the West Coast - we know the difference
between Super and regular nachos. Both are made with real shredded
cheese, not pouring cheese.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/1/2015 8:57 AM, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> What Carol is talking about (me too) are commonly called supreme
>>> nachos. Nachos come in many forms, sometimes by area or just personal
>>> taste. I've also made the plain oven ones with just sharp cheddar and
>>> maybe a jalapeno slice. Those are great snacks. Below is my version of
>>> nachos as a full meal.

>>> Dinner Nachos
>>>
>>> ingredients:
>>> - approx. 1.5 lbs ground beast
>>> - 2-3 medium onions, chopped
>>> - several shakes of worchestershire sauce
>>>
>>> - 1 packet of dry taco seasoning
>>> - 2 16oz jars of medium-heat chunky salsa
>>> - about 5oz extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
>>> - 16oz sour cream
>>> - white tortilla chips
>>>
>>> Fry meat, onions and worchestershire sauce until done, drain grease.
>>> Stir in the dry taco seasoning, 12oz of salsa and cheddar cheese.
>>> Heat until cheese is melted and all is hot.
>>>
>>> On a large plate, put some of the above meaty mix in a pile. Then put
>>> some salsa in another pile. Finally add a pile of sour cream.
>>>
>>> Eat with tortilla chips, scooping some from each pile per chip.
>>> YUM!!!!!

>> That wouldn't be something that is served around here. I am talking about
>> baked ones. And nothing that is a dip would be called nachos. Not ever.

> Bullshit Julie. I'm talking about homemade supreme nachos not
> commercial bought. Everyone's home recipe is different. You have no
> clue to what your neighbors eat as nachos or to even what other
> restaurants serve.
>
> Even if you put all the extra things on your nachos and oven bake
> them. They will still sog out the chips. For what you claim, it sounds
> like you've never done that.
>
> G.

I like it when the chips are soggy. Especially when soggy with melted
cheese.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 10:19:24 -0500, Doris Night
> wrote:

> I thought nachos were the chips. And any time I've eaten them, they
> came with salsa and sour cream and nothing else.

Nachos are chips with cheese that have been in the oven or microwave
long enough to melt the cheese and served warm. Regular nachos can be
served with sour cream, salsa and guacamole on the side. Super nachos
are baked with ground meat etc. We used to make super nachos with
refried beans and meat with the other three on the side. These days,
it's just regular nachos - sometimes with guacamole but most of the
time it's unaccompanied. For me, a tortilla chip snack would be plain
tortilla chips and guacamole, but I prefer salsa fresca because there
is zero prep work. Just open the bag of chips and the salsa container
and eat.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

> I like it when the chips are soggy. Especially when soggy with melted
> cheese.

LOL! Well there ya go! I don't mind finishing up with a spoon either
but I do prefer them to be all crisp until the end. Either way, any
kind of nachos are delicious!

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I fill a cookie sheet with chips, spoon on my favorite peach salsa, then cover with shredded mozzarella. Bake till cheese is golden brown.

Denise in NH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 19:38:10 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Yes, I am starting a new post because I am getting fed up at cshenk implying
>that I am clueless. The first time I ever had them was back in the last
>1960's and they were pretty much just like the originals shown here.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nachos
>
>Since that time I have had them with all manner of toppings, including
>(blech!) shredded iceberg lettuce on Cape Cod.
>
>There is also the kind that you can get at movie theaters, snack bars and
>various concession stands that have a cheese sauce which may be put on the
>side or over the top of the chips and they may or may not include hot
>peppers.
>
>But my question is... How do you make them at home? Assuming that you do.
>Because I *always* make them like the link that I put up here. Chips and
>shredded cheese for sure. Baked in the oven is best but if I'm in a hurry I
>will nuke them. My parents always got them with nothing but cheese on them
>but I happen to like additional things like hot peppers, onions, tomatoes,
>olives, even beans.
>
>And back when I ate cheese or corn for that matter, I wouldn't turn down the
>snack bar type with the cheese sauce. That is not the sort of thing I would
>ever make at home or serve to a guest but it was nice to eat a few bites of
>it now and then if I was out and hungry.
>
>So... cshenk claims that nachos are a dip. Who here makes theirs as a dip?
>And who here makes the baked with shredded cheese? Thanks!

I'm not into Nachos as I really don't care for corn chips, and I
especially don't like crisp corn tortillas, like eating glass shards,
if I'm going to eat chips I much prefer plain potato chips, no dips
either. The only way I enjoy dips is with crudites (raw veggies) and
then I prefer a tangy horseradish dip. One of my favorite sandwiches
is lettuce, tomato, and mayo on white toast stuffed with Ridgies...
don't need any stinkin' bacon for crunch. I don't like melted cheese
either, melting good cheese is a waste... for melting nothing better
than Velveeta or mozz. Nachos is really tex-mex, was invented to
celibrate my birthday:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nachos

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 1:44:59 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 1:39:00 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm... Okay. I buy that stuff but it is dip. We don't use it for nachos.
> >

> The jar does say it's a 'cheese dip.' But it works great on those tortilla chips to help any additions cling so they don't slide off onto the plate or in your lap.

So both of you are into that slop cheese dip. It you want *decent* cheese
sauce/dip, all you have to do is melt the cheese with some heavy cream.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 8:57:44 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:

> > > What Carol is talking about (me too) are commonly called supreme
> > > nachos. Nachos come in many forms, sometimes by area or just personal
> > > taste. I've also made the plain oven ones with just sharp cheddar and
> > > maybe a jalapeno slice. Those are great snacks. Below is my version of
> > > nachos as a full meal.

> > > Dinner Nachos
> > >
> > > ingredients:
> > > - approx. 1.5 lbs ground beast
> > > - 2-3 medium onions, chopped
> > > - several shakes of worchestershire sauce
> > >
> > > - 1 packet of dry taco seasoning
> > > - 2 16oz jars of medium-heat chunky salsa
> > > - about 5oz extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
> > > - 16oz sour cream
> > > - white tortilla chips
> > >
> > > Fry meat, onions and worchestershire sauce until done, drain grease.
> > > Stir in the dry taco seasoning, 12oz of salsa and cheddar cheese.
> > > Heat until cheese is melted and all is hot.
> > >
> > > On a large plate, put some of the above meaty mix in a pile. Then put
> > > some salsa in another pile. Finally add a pile of sour cream.
> > >
> > > Eat with tortilla chips, scooping some from each pile per chip.
> > > YUM!!!!!

> > That wouldn't be something that is served around here. I am talking about
> > baked ones. And nothing that is a dip would be called nachos. Not ever.

> Bullshit Julie. I'm talking about homemade supreme nachos not
> commercial bought. Everyone's home recipe is different.

Semi-homemade. You use jarred salsa.

> G.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 9:38:39 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-02-01 9:39 AM, tert in seattle wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > (snip)
> >
> >> So... cshenk claims that nachos are a dip. Who here makes theirs as a dip?
> >> And who here makes the baked with shredded cheese? Thanks!

> > tortilla chips + cheese [sauce] + extras = nachos
> >

> I thought cshenk said Julie was a dip. Or am I confusing her with a
> bunch of other people who say she is a dip?

Is dip short for dipshit? She's certainly a turd in the gene pool.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 10:13:22 AM UTC-6, Janet Wilder wrote:

> Accompanied it with a bottle of Sierra Nevada ale.

The original mass produced good American beer. It's not my favorite,
but I've never had a bad one, and SNPA jump started the popularity of
nice hoppy APAs. Plus, out west of here they make it in 12oz. cans.

Good news though, New Belgium is putting their Ranger in 12 pack cans.
There are so many places where glass is illegal (and should be), like
beaches, rivers, parks...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 9:38:23 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> Yes, I am starting a new post because I am getting fed up at cshenk implying
> that I am clueless.

Well, you are. The truth hurts, huh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 4:35:28 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> That wouldn't be something that is served around here. I am talking about
> baked ones. And nothing that is a dip would be called nachos. Not ever.

Says the moron that heats up tortillas in the microwave.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 02/01/2015 07:19 AM, Doris Night wrote:

> I thought nachos were the chips. And any time I've eaten them, they
> came with salsa and sour cream and nothing else.
>
> Doris

OK, I'm seeing a pattern here. At least three people in this thread have
referred to plain tortilla chips as "nachos." Apparently, in some parts
of this country it is an acceptable and common use. To me, it is like
calling an avocado a "guacamole." Again, to me, nachos are a simple
snack made with tortilla chips, real cheese and sliced pickled jalapeno
peppers, just like guacamole is a simple dip made with avocados, diced
tomatoes, cumin and minced onion. It's an ingredient, not the dish itself.

It's minor differences like this that make life so interesting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-02-01 2:46 PM, Miss Kitty wrote:
> On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 9:38:23 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Yes, I am starting a new post because I am getting fed up at cshenk implying
>> that I am clueless.

> Well, you are. The truth hurts, huh.

Yep. She will start a new thread on the same topic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Miss Kitty" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 4:35:28 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> That wouldn't be something that is served around here. I am talking
>> about
>> baked ones. And nothing that is a dip would be called nachos. Not ever.

> Says the moron that heats up tortillas in the microwave.

Nothing wrong with that if you know how.

Cheri

We're having nachos! Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 0 01-01-2012 10:35 AM
BBQ nachos Terry[_3_] General Cooking 4 24-08-2009 01:21 AM
Sun nachos Bobo Bonobo® General Cooking 0 03-09-2007 10:00 PM
White Nachos International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 09-11-2006 04:41 AM