Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stilton

I finally tried it. I screwed up with my shopping last week. I had
decided that since I liked moldy cheeses and had never had Stilton I
should give it a try. I went to the cheese section, saw Stilton and
grabbed the smallest piece they had... it was just to sample. What a
disappointment to get home and discover that what I had picked up was a
piece of Danish blue. Well, it will be eaten and enjoyed, but it was
disappointing that it was not the Stilton I was expecting.

I went shopping this morning and set about righting my wrong. I made
the cheese section my first stop, found a small piece of Stilton...
double checked to make sure it was Stilton and not some random blue
cheese in the wrong place.

I just tried some with my pre dinner cocktail. I don't often post using
OMG, but OMG, it is delicious.

Come to think of it... we were once served a leek soup with grated
Stilton.. but that was different because it was on a strong flavoured
soup. This was the first time for Stilton in its own. I will be buying
more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/01/2015 10:49 pm, Dave Smith wrote:
> I finally tried it. I screwed up with my shopping last week. I had
> decided that since I liked moldy cheeses and had never had Stilton I
> should give it a try. I went to the cheese section, saw Stilton and
> grabbed the smallest piece they had... it was just to sample. What a
> disappointment to get home and discover that what I had picked up was a
> piece of Danish blue. Well, it will be eaten and enjoyed, but it was
> disappointing that it was not the Stilton I was expecting.
>
> I went shopping this morning and set about righting my wrong. I made
> the cheese section my first stop, found a small piece of Stilton...
> double checked to make sure it was Stilton and not some random blue
> cheese in the wrong place.
>
> I just tried some with my pre dinner cocktail. I don't often post using
> OMG, but OMG, it is delicious.
>

> Come to think of it... we were once served a leek soup with grated
> Stilton.. but that was different because it was on a strong flavoured
> soup. This was the first time for Stilton in its own. I will be buying
> more.

Stilton and celery soup is the best, one of my all time faves...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>I finally tried it. I screwed up with my shopping last week. I had decided
>that since I liked moldy cheeses and had never had Stilton I should give it
>a try. I went to the cheese section, saw Stilton and grabbed the smallest
>piece they had... it was just to sample. What a disappointment to get home
>and discover that what I had picked up was a piece of Danish blue. Well, it
>will be eaten and enjoyed, but it was disappointing that it was not the
>Stilton I was expecting.
>
> I went shopping this morning and set about righting my wrong. I made the
> cheese section my first stop, found a small piece of Stilton... double
> checked to make sure it was Stilton and not some random blue cheese in the
> wrong place.
>
> I just tried some with my pre dinner cocktail. I don't often post using
> OMG, but OMG, it is delicious.
>

> Come to think of it... we were once served a leek soup with grated
> Stilton.. but that was different because it was on a strong flavoured
> soup. This was the first time for Stilton in its own. I will be buying
> more.

Next time pick up a bottle of good Madeira or a sweet sherry like Harvey's
BC. The two go very well together.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 22:58:46 +0000, Jon > wrote:

>On 25/01/2015 10:49 pm, Dave Smith wrote:
>> I finally tried it. I screwed up with my shopping last week. I had
>> decided that since I liked moldy cheeses and had never had Stilton I
>> should give it a try. I went to the cheese section, saw Stilton and
>> grabbed the smallest piece they had... it was just to sample. What a
>> disappointment to get home and discover that what I had picked up was a
>> piece of Danish blue. Well, it will be eaten and enjoyed, but it was
>> disappointing that it was not the Stilton I was expecting.
>>
>> I went shopping this morning and set about righting my wrong. I made
>> the cheese section my first stop, found a small piece of Stilton...
>> double checked to make sure it was Stilton and not some random blue
>> cheese in the wrong place.
>>
>> I just tried some with my pre dinner cocktail. I don't often post using
>> OMG, but OMG, it is delicious.
>>

>> Come to think of it... we were once served a leek soup with grated
>> Stilton.. but that was different because it was on a strong flavoured
>> soup. This was the first time for Stilton in its own. I will be buying
>> more.

>Stilton and celery soup is the best, one of my all time faves...

I really like the sound of that...

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/6251...on-celery-soup

40g butter
4 celery sticks, trimmed and chopped
3 tbsp plain flour
300ml milk
600ml chicken stock
225g stilton cheese, crumbled
salt & pepper

Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the celery and cook gently for
about 5 minutes, until softened.
Stir in the flour and cook gently for 1 minute, stirring all the time.
Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk and stock. Bring
to the boil, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the celery
is tender.
Gradually add the stilton and stir in until melted. Season to taste.
Serves 4 as a main course, 6 - 8 as a starter

Thanks, I'll save this recipe for winter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/01/2015 11:12 pm, wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 22:58:46 +0000, Jon > wrote:
>
>> On 25/01/2015 10:49 pm, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> I finally tried it. I screwed up with my shopping last week. I had
>>> decided that since I liked moldy cheeses and had never had Stilton I
>>> should give it a try. I went to the cheese section, saw Stilton and
>>> grabbed the smallest piece they had... it was just to sample. What a
>>> disappointment to get home and discover that what I had picked up was a
>>> piece of Danish blue. Well, it will be eaten and enjoyed, but it was
>>> disappointing that it was not the Stilton I was expecting.
>>>
>>> I went shopping this morning and set about righting my wrong. I made
>>> the cheese section my first stop, found a small piece of Stilton...
>>> double checked to make sure it was Stilton and not some random blue
>>> cheese in the wrong place.
>>>
>>> I just tried some with my pre dinner cocktail. I don't often post using
>>> OMG, but OMG, it is delicious.
>>>

>>> Come to think of it... we were once served a leek soup with grated
>>> Stilton.. but that was different because it was on a strong flavoured
>>> soup. This was the first time for Stilton in its own. I will be buying
>>> more.

>> Stilton and celery soup is the best, one of my all time faves...

> I really like the sound of that...

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/6251...on-celery-soup

> 40g butter
> 4 celery sticks, trimmed and chopped
> 3 tbsp plain flour
> 300ml milk
> 600ml chicken stock
> 225g stilton cheese, crumbled
> salt & pepper
>
> Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the celery and cook gently for
> about 5 minutes, until softened.
> Stir in the flour and cook gently for 1 minute, stirring all the time.
> Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk and stock. Bring
> to the boil, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the celery
> is tender.
> Gradually add the stilton and stir in until melted. Season to taste.
> Serves 4 as a main course, 6 - 8 as a starter
>
> Thanks, I'll save this recipe for winter.

I skip the milk and add more Stilton in my version, simmer the celery
for about 25-30 mins and then wizz it with a hand blender until it's
smooth...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> I love Stilton and fresh pears.

Me too; with walnuts.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/25/2015 4:49 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> I finally tried it. I screwed up with my shopping last week. I had
> decided that since I liked moldy cheeses and had never had Stilton I
> should give it a try. I went to the cheese section, saw Stilton and
> grabbed the smallest piece they had... it was just to sample. What a
> disappointment to get home and discover that what I had picked up was a
> piece of Danish blue. Well, it will be eaten and enjoyed, but it was
> disappointing that it was not the Stilton I was expecting.
>
> I went shopping this morning and set about righting my wrong. I made
> the cheese section my first stop, found a small piece of Stilton...
> double checked to make sure it was Stilton and not some random blue
> cheese in the wrong place.
>
> I just tried some with my pre dinner cocktail. I don't often post using
> OMG, but OMG, it is delicious.
>

> Come to think of it... we were once served a leek soup with grated
> Stilton.. but that was different because it was on a strong flavoured
> soup. This was the first time for Stilton in its own. I will be buying
> more.

Stilton is my most favorite cheese. It's not easy to find down here and
when I see it I grab several packages. I love it at room temp (of
course!) with slices of ripe pear. Total heaven!

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 26, 2015 at 12:35:16 PM UTC-6, Janet Wilder wrote:

> Stilton is my most favorite cheese. It's not easy to find down here and
> when I see it I grab several packages. I love it at room temp (of
> course!) with slices of ripe pear. Total heaven!

Ok, y'all convinced me to try it with a fresh pear. I've read about it and have seen it on tv but have yet to taste it. Tuesday will be my shopping day and I'll pick up a package and a pear or two.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:52:11 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, January 26, 2015 at 12:35:16 PM UTC-6, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>> Stilton is my most favorite cheese. It's not easy to find down here and
>> when I see it I grab several packages. I love it at room temp (of
>> course!) with slices of ripe pear. Total heaven!
>>

>Ok, y'all convinced me to try it with a fresh pear. I've read about it and have seen it on tv but have yet to taste it. Tuesday will be my shopping day and I'll pick up a package and a pear or two.

A really nice apple goes with cheese as well, but a pear is better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 23:23:32 +0000, Jon > wrote:

>On 25/01/2015 11:12 pm, wrote:

>>> Stilton and celery soup is the best, one of my all time faves...

>> I really like the sound of that...

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/6251...on-celery-soup

>> 40g butter
>> 4 celery sticks, trimmed and chopped
>> 3 tbsp plain flour
>> 300ml milk
>> 600ml chicken stock
>> 225g stilton cheese, crumbled
>> salt & pepper
>>
>> Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the celery and cook gently for
>> about 5 minutes, until softened.
>> Stir in the flour and cook gently for 1 minute, stirring all the time.
>> Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk and stock. Bring
>> to the boil, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the celery
>> is tender.
>> Gradually add the stilton and stir in until melted. Season to taste.
>> Serves 4 as a main course, 6 - 8 as a starter
>>
>> Thanks, I'll save this recipe for winter.
>>

>I skip the milk and add more Stilton in my version, simmer the celery
>for about 25-30 mins and then wizz it with a hand blender until it's
>smooth...

Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-26 13:35, Janet Wilder wrote:

>> Come to think of it... we were once served a leek soup with grated
>> Stilton.. but that was different because it was on a strong flavoured
>> soup. This was the first time for Stilton in its own. I will be buying
>> more.

> Stilton is my most favorite cheese. It's not easy to find down here and
> when I see it I grab several packages. I love it at room temp (of
> course!) with slices of ripe pear. Total heaven!

I don't know why I never tried it before. Maybe it is the cost. I have
liked every blue cheese I have tried, but this stuff is lot more
expensive than most of the others.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 26, 2015 at 12:35:16 PM UTC-6, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 1/25/2015 4:49 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> >

> Stilton is my most favorite cheese. It's not easy to find down here and
> when I see it I grab several packages. I love it at room temp (of
> course!) with slices of ripe pear. Total heaven!
>
> --
> From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

I love cheese and Stilton is the very best, I totally agree with you, Janet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/26/2015 5:00 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-01-26 13:35, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>>> Come to think of it... we were once served a leek soup with grated
>>> Stilton.. but that was different because it was on a strong flavoured
>>> soup. This was the first time for Stilton in its own. I will be buying
>>> more.

>> Stilton is my most favorite cheese. It's not easy to find down here and
>> when I see it I grab several packages. I love it at room temp (of
>> course!) with slices of ripe pear. Total heaven!
>>

> I don't know why I never tried it before. Maybe it is the cost. I have
> liked every blue cheese I have tried, but this stuff is lot more
> expensive than most of the others.

IMNSHO, it's worth every penny.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 17:49:32 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I finally tried it. I screwed up with my shopping last week. I had
>decided that since I liked moldy cheeses and had never had Stilton I
>should give it a try. I went to the cheese section, saw Stilton and
>grabbed the smallest piece they had... it was just to sample. What a
>disappointment to get home and discover that what I had picked up was a
> piece of Danish blue. Well, it will be eaten and enjoyed, but it was
>disappointing that it was not the Stilton I was expecting.
>
>I went shopping this morning and set about righting my wrong. I made
>the cheese section my first stop, found a small piece of Stilton...
>double checked to make sure it was Stilton and not some random blue
>cheese in the wrong place.
>
>I just tried some with my pre dinner cocktail. I don't often post using
>OMG, but OMG, it is delicious.
>

>Come to think of it... we were once served a leek soup with grated
>Stilton.. but that was different because it was on a strong flavoured
>soup. This was the first time for Stilton in its own. I will be buying
>more.

I've been a lover of blue cheese for more than 60 years.
The # 1, under the blue cheese section of my "Best Of" list is without
a doubt, Roquefort - Papillon Noir.
If you get a chance, give it a try.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 17:49:32 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I finally tried it. I screwed up with my shopping last week. I had
>decided that since I liked moldy cheeses and had never had Stilton I
>should give it a try.

I love the Stilton cheese, but I find the rind way moldy and making
sure it is all cut off often takes a lot of expensive cheese with it!

J.