Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's the best Kitchenaid mixer????

I have wanted one for YEARS and never really could
justify it. Also, where to store it. I'm not a baker.
Blah blah blah.

Well, I'm done dithering.

Is the lift bowl feature something to look for? I'm just
kidding about the Best one, I would like a good one, though.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2014 9:52 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> I have wanted one for YEARS and never really could
> justify it. Also, where to store it. I'm not a baker.
> Blah blah blah.
>
> Well, I'm done dithering.
>
> Is the lift bowl feature something to look for? I'm just
> kidding about the Best one, I would like a good one, though.

Okay, I couldn't control myself, I got the

KitchenAid KP26M1XOB 6-Qt. Professional 600 Series - Onyx Black

on Amazon. And so thoughtful of them to have a $50 rebate going.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2014 10:16 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 12/9/2014 9:52 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

> Okay, I couldn't control myself, I got the
> KitchenAid KP26M1XOB 6-Qt. Professional 600 Series - Onyx Black
> on Amazon. And so thoughtful of them to have a $50 rebate going.

I have that one, in a silvery grey.
I gave my old 4.5 qt one to my daughter - it's older than she is (it
says Hobart on the side), and still works beautifully.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2014 10:23 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 12/9/2014 10:16 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Okay, I couldn't control myself, I got the
>> KitchenAid KP26M1XOB 6-Qt. Professional 600 Series - Onyx Black
>> on Amazon. And so thoughtful of them to have a $50 rebate going.
>>

> I have that one, in a silvery grey.

I really feel good about my choice now, since you got that model.

> I gave my old 4.5 qt one to my daughter - it's older than she is (it
> says Hobart on the side), and still works beautifully.

I really hope it's a trouble free appliance for me, too.

It'll be here Friday. Just in time for Christmas cookie making.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Dec 2014 10:16:56 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 12/9/2014 9:52 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> I have wanted one for YEARS and never really could
>> justify it. Also, where to store it. I'm not a baker.
>> Blah blah blah.
>>
>> Well, I'm done dithering.
>>
>> Is the lift bowl feature something to look for? I'm just
>> kidding about the Best one, I would like a good one, though.

>Okay, I couldn't control myself, I got the
>
>KitchenAid KP26M1XOB 6-Qt. Professional 600 Series - Onyx Black
>
>on Amazon. And so thoughtful of them to have a $50 rebate going.
>
>nancy

that's the one I got. But I got mine at QVC because I watched for
their special values.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I also have the large one, in a cream color, and use it often. It has the bowl lift, not the tilt head. I can mix the ingredients for five pork pies at once which sure saves time. Storage was a problem, mostly because of its weight, so I picked up a metal rolling cart and now I just roll it to my prep area when I use it. I have a couple of attachments for slicing/grinding, etc, but don't use them as much as I used to when I did church suppers. You won't regret your purchase.

Denise in NH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2014 10:57 AM, Janet B wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Dec 2014 10:16:56 -0500, Nancy Young
> > wrote:

>> Okay, I couldn't control myself, I got the
>>
>> KitchenAid KP26M1XOB 6-Qt. Professional 600 Series - Onyx Black
>>
>> on Amazon. And so thoughtful of them to have a $50 rebate going.

> that's the one I got.

Awesome.

> But I got mine at QVC because I watched for their special values.

Good deal. I did see it on QVC but only in pink. I really
can't deal with having a pink mixer. I know, all problems in
life should be so tough.

But I'm really happy with my choice of model, since hearing
that a number of you have it. Can't wait.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Dec 2014 09:52:05 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> I have wanted one for YEARS and never really could
> justify it. Also, where to store it. I'm not a baker.
> Blah blah blah.
>
> Well, I'm done dithering.
>
> Is the lift bowl feature something to look for? I'm just
> kidding about the Best one, I would like a good one, though.

I wanted one for years too and never spent the money on myself, so my
kids gave me one after they were on their own and making decent money.
Mine lives on the counter, next to the coffee maker. If I didn't keep
it out, I'd never use it because it's too heavy to want to move
around. DD keeps hers in a baking pantry and believe me, I seriously
reconsider every recipe before I decide to drag it out.

As far as models go - I think the one that lifts up vs tilts has a
stronger motor. If you're not a baker, then the one that tilts is
good enough. That's what I have and it works for me. Bonus: it
should be going on sale now that Christmas is rolling around.

After you buy a KA try kneading meatloaf with the standard paddle
attachment. I don't particularly like to eat meatloaf, but that
paddle trick certainly makes it fun to put one together.

BTW, I thought I wanted the plastic shield thingie that goes over the
bowl and supposedly makes it less messy to add stuff to it. DD has
one, so I used it. Maybe it's just me, but I managed to make quite a
mess anyway. If I baked more, I'd have two bowls for sure and maybe
even two balloon whisks... but I don't, so I haven't given it any
serious consideration. Also, having the bowl with a handle on it
would be useful from time to time because the bowl has a habit of
lodging firmly in the seat and I struggle to release it. I thought it
was an idiosyncrasy of my particular machine, but apparently it's not
uncommon. So far, that's the only thing I don't like about my KA and
I've had it for years at this point.

I think I'll treat myself to a beater with a scraper on it for
Christmas this year because scraping the bowl is a PTIA I won't miss.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004A15870/...I2ZMBMK1R6B7P9

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2014 10:51 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

> Hmmm. I wonder where I will wind up storing it.

I leave mine out in a corner of the counter. It's way too heavy to lift
and move into a cabinet. Your new one will be even heavier than my Artisan.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2014 12:11 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 12/9/2014 10:51 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Hmmm. I wonder where I will wind up storing it.

> I leave mine out in a corner of the counter. It's way too heavy to lift
> and move into a cabinet. Your new one will be even heavier than my
> Artisan.

My sil has something like this in her kitchen:

http://www.amazon.com/Rev-A-Shelf-RA.../dp/B001B0QFOI

Or

http://tinyurl.com/pygq2ze

I even know which cabinet I'd retrofit ... if I was going to
do that.

Should be interesting.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2014 12:09 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Dec 2014 09:52:05 -0500, Nancy Young
> > wrote

>> Is the lift bowl feature something to look for? I'm just
>> kidding about the Best one, I would like a good one, though.
>>

> I wanted one for years too and never spent the money on myself, so my
> kids gave me one after they were on their own and making decent money.
> Mine lives on the counter, next to the coffee maker. If I didn't keep
> it out, I'd never use it because it's too heavy to want to move
> around. DD keeps hers in a baking pantry and believe me, I seriously
> reconsider every recipe before I decide to drag it out.

I see the one I ordered is in the neighborhood of 30 pounds. Think
I'll hit the gym this week in anticipation. Heh.

Luckily I do have a large weight lifter living here.

> As far as models go - I think the one that lifts up vs tilts has a
> stronger motor. If you're not a baker, then the one that tilts is
> good enough. That's what I have and it works for me. Bonus: it
> should be going on sale now that Christmas is rolling around.

I thought what I paid was pretty reasonable, and there's a rebate.

> After you buy a KA try kneading meatloaf with the standard paddle
> attachment. I don't particularly like to eat meatloaf, but that
> paddle trick certainly makes it fun to put one together.

I hadn't thought of meatloaf, thanks for the idea.

> BTW, I thought I wanted the plastic shield thingie that goes over the
> bowl and supposedly makes it less messy to add stuff to it. DD has
> one, so I used it. Maybe it's just me, but I managed to make quite a
> mess anyway. If I baked more, I'd have two bowls for sure and maybe
> even two balloon whisks... but I don't, so I haven't given it any
> serious consideration. Also, having the bowl with a handle on it
> would be useful from time to time because the bowl has a habit of
> lodging firmly in the seat and I struggle to release it.

I lucked out in that regard. I wouldn't have thought to look
for that.

> I thought it
> was an idiosyncrasy of my particular machine, but apparently it's not
> uncommon. So far, that's the only thing I don't like about my KA and
> I've had it for years at this point.
>
> I think I'll treat myself to a beater with a scraper on it for
> Christmas this year because scraping the bowl is a PTIA I won't miss.
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004A15870/...I2ZMBMK1R6B7P9

I was wondering if I would wind up needing that. I remember when
something like that first came out, and I thought Kitchenaide said
it would put too much strain on the motor. Guess it's not a problem
since they sell them now, or perhaps I'm not remembering the details
correctly.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2014 11:51 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

> Hmmm. I wonder where I will wind up storing it.

I don't store mine, it lives on the counter top. When it was stored
(more than 30 years ago), it wasn't used as often. Now that it sits out
in the open, it gets much more use. The same with my big Cuisinart FP.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2014 12:11 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 12/9/2014 10:51 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Hmmm. I wonder where I will wind up storing it.

> I leave mine out in a corner of the counter. It's way too heavy to lift
> and move into a cabinet. Your new one will be even heavier than my
> Artisan.

+1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2014 12:19 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 12/9/2014 12:11 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 12/9/2014 10:51 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> Hmmm. I wonder where I will wind up storing it.

>> I leave mine out in a corner of the counter. It's way too heavy to lift
>> and move into a cabinet. Your new one will be even heavier than my
>> Artisan.

> My sil has something like this in her kitchen:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Rev-A-Shelf-RA.../dp/B001B0QFOI

My son and dil have just bought a new house, and will be installing one
of those pop-ups on the new baking island.
I gave her a KitchenAid as a shower gift (mine was a gift from _my_
mother-in-law).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Dec 2014 10:34:18 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 12/9/2014 10:12 AM, wrote:
>> On Tue, 09 Dec 2014 09:52:05 -0500, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I have wanted one for YEARS and never really could
>>> justify it. Also, where to store it. I'm not a baker.
>>> Blah blah blah.
>>>
>>> Well, I'm done dithering.
>>>
>>> Is the lift bowl feature something to look for? I'm just
>>> kidding about the Best one, I would like a good one, though.

>> If I was choosing, I'd choose the one with the highest wattage, it's
>> going to be tough enough to handle bread doughs etc without jumping
>> about like a lunatic.

>You're absolutely right. Looking at two models, it struck me right away
>to get the 575 Watt over the 300/whatever. It wasn't that
>much more in the scheme of things. Thanks.

How many times do I have to remind folks that higher wattage doesn't
necessarly mean it produces more usable power (unless used as a hair
dryer), means it costs more to operate. Unless an electric motor also
lists rated Horsepower then highlighting the Wattage alone is just a
sales gimmick. A small appliance with a high wattage rating simply
indicates high inefficiency (most of it's electrical consumption is
used generating heat). The modern KA stand mixers have no
transmission, therefore haven't much shaft torque... they alter speed
via a rheostat, same as a light bulb on a dimmer. Were I wanting a
quality stand mixer I'd look for one that lists rated horsepower and
has a transmission, not one with a higher wattage rating and a fancy
paint job. For 95% of mixing a hand mixer suffices... for kneading
dough for one or two loaves of bread NO machine surpasses human hands.

Stand mixers with larger diameter bowls and no transmission require
more foot pounds of torque so will consume more Watts is all... a six
quart mixing bowl can't contain more bread dough than the average
person can easily knead by hand.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2014 11:09 AM, sf wrote:

> BTW, I thought I wanted the plastic shield thingie that goes over the
> bowl and supposedly makes it less messy to add stuff to it. DD has
> one, so I used it. Maybe it's just me, but I managed to make quite a
> mess anyway.

It's not just you. I've used the shield and it still makes a mess. I
turn off the mixer, add some dry material, turn it back on and keep
doing that until it's all mixed in. Maybe it takes 3 or 4 of these
sessions. Keeps the kitchen neater.

Mine came with the shield. It also had a coupon for a free attachment
and I got the meat grinder. I just love that meat grinder!

It was purchased over 9 years ago.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2014 11:19 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 12/9/2014 12:11 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 12/9/2014 10:51 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> Hmmm. I wonder where I will wind up storing it.

>> I leave mine out in a corner of the counter. It's way too heavy to lift
>> and move into a cabinet. Your new one will be even heavier than my
>> Artisan.

> My sil has something like this in her kitchen:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Rev-A-Shelf-RA.../dp/B001B0QFOI
>

> Or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/pygq2ze
>
> I even know which cabinet I'd retrofit ... if I was going to
> do that.
>
> Should be interesting.
>
> nancy

That is lovely, but it seems that it will take up most of the cabinet
with all that extra lifting gear.

I have a small piece of counter space between the stove and the
refrigerator. I keep mine there right next to the Keurig coffee maker.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2014 11:47 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 12/9/2014 11:51 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Hmmm. I wonder where I will wind up storing it.
>>

> I don't store mine, it lives on the counter top. When it was stored
> (more than 30 years ago), it wasn't used as often. Now that it sits out
> in the open, it gets much more use. The same with my big Cuisinart FP.

Yup. My KA and my Cuisinart are out, but I have a huge amount of
counter space in my kitchen.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Dec 2014 12:47:12 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 12/9/2014 11:51 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Hmmm. I wonder where I will wind up storing it.
>>

>I don't store mine, it lives on the counter top.

Years ago I had two stand mixers, a Sunbeam and a 12 qt Hobart. Got
rid of the Hobart and then the Sunbeam, never used them anymore. Now
I occasionally use my KA hand mixer... I do most mixing with a wooden
spoon, a wire whip, or a fork. For yeast dough I'll knead a loaf by
hand, but more often I use my ABM.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2014 1:04 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 12/9/2014 11:19 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> My sil has something like this in her kitchen:
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Rev-A-Shelf-RA.../dp/B001B0QFOI
>>

>> Or
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/pygq2ze

> That is lovely, but it seems that it will take up most of the cabinet
> with all that extra lifting gear.

It absolutely takes up the cabinet.

> I have a small piece of counter space between the stove and the
> refrigerator. I keep mine there right next to the Keurig coffee maker.

I have a couple of ideas, but I'm going to have to see how it
goes once I have it here. It'll work out one way or another.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2014 1:18 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 12/9/2014 1:04 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 12/9/2014 11:19 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> My sil has something like this in her kitchen:
>>>
>>> http://www.amazon.com/Rev-A-Shelf-RA.../dp/B001B0QFOI
>>>

>>> Or
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/pygq2ze

>> That is lovely, but it seems that it will take up most of the cabinet
>> with all that extra lifting gear.

> It absolutely takes up the cabinet.
>
>> I have a small piece of counter space between the stove and the
>> refrigerator. I keep mine there right next to the Keurig coffee maker.

> I have a couple of ideas, but I'm going to have to see how it
> goes once I have it here. It'll work out one way or another.
>
> nancy

When you get, you have to bake cookies and send them to all of us so
that you can see how well your new gadget does. :-)

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
>Janet Wilder wrote:
>>Nancy Young wrote:

>>> My sil has something like this in her kitchen:
>>>
>>> http://www.amazon.com/Rev-A-Shelf-RA.../dp/B001B0QFOI
>>>
>>> Or
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/pygq2ze

>> That is lovely, but it seems that it will take up most of the cabinet
>> with all that extra lifting gear.

>It absolutely takes up the cabinet.
>
>> I have a small piece of counter space between the stove and the
>> refrigerator. I keep mine there right next to the Keurig coffee maker.

>I have a couple of ideas, but I'm going to have to see how it
>goes once I have it here. It'll work out one way or another.
>
>nancy

I suggest you keep a log of how often you use it and for what that you
couldn't have easily used a spoon. a wire whisk, a hand mixer, or your
hands... and how many minutes/hours for cleaning/dusting when you
could have been cooking/napping.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2014 2:43 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 12/9/2014 1:18 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> I have a couple of ideas, but I'm going to have to see how it
>> goes once I have it here. It'll work out one way or another.

> When you get, you have to bake cookies and send them to all of us so
> that you can see how well your new gadget does. :-)

Happily!

We did have a cookie swap one year, that was fun.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young > wrote:
> I have wanted one for YEARS and never really could
> justify it. Also, where to store it. I'm not a baker.
> Blah blah blah.
>
> Well, I'm done dithering.
>
> Is the lift bowl feature something to look for? I'm just
> kidding about the Best one, I would like a good one, though.
>
> nancy

Lots of new ones have a plastic drivetrain. You want one with metal gears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2014 3:25 PM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:

> Lots of new ones have a plastic drivetrain. You want one with metal gears.

Just hop in your time machine and set it for 1964
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Dec 2014 11:51:32 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

snippage

>Hmmm. I wonder where I will wind up storing it.

more snippage

>nancy

I have a very small kitchen, and that's one of the few things I give
my precious counter space to. I have it at the far end out of the way,
but ready for use in a moments notice. I also use it to mix my egg or
tuna salads, whisking up dressings etc...
I have the shredder/slicer attachment and the pasta attachment. I like
them both

koko

James Beard
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2014 4:21 PM, koko wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Dec 2014 11:51:32 -0500, Nancy Young

>> Hmmm. I wonder where I will wind up storing it.
>>

> more snippage

> I have a very small kitchen, and that's one of the few things I give
> my precious counter space to. I have it at the far end out of the way,
> but ready for use in a moments notice. I also use it to mix my egg or
> tuna salads, whisking up dressings etc...
> I have the shredder/slicer attachment and the pasta attachment. I like
> them both

In my mind this thing is getting bigger and heavier. So I looked
it up, it will fit nicely on the counter under the upper cabinets.
I even have one area that is lower, it's only a single drawer
cabinet (leaving a space under for a stool or the cat's dish).
It will sit nicely with the only other appliance I keep out, my
Foodsaver.

I am eying the pasta attachment but talk about getting ahead of
myself. Heh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2014 3:25 PM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
> Nancy Young > wrote:
>> I have wanted one for YEARS and never really could
>> justify it. Also, where to store it. I'm not a baker.
>> Blah blah blah.
>>
>> Well, I'm done dithering.
>>
>> Is the lift bowl feature something to look for? I'm just
>> kidding about the Best one, I would like a good one, though.

> Lots of new ones have a plastic drivetrain. You want one with metal gears.

You know, I did see that mentioned in the comments and it seems
they have addressed that issue. Fingers crossed.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2014 3:15 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>> I have a couple of ideas, but I'm going to have to see how it
>> goes once I have it here. It'll work out one way or another.

> I suggest you keep a log of how often you use it and for what that you
> couldn't have easily used a spoon. a wire whisk, a hand mixer, or your
> hands... and how many minutes/hours for cleaning/dusting when you
> could have been cooking/napping.

Are you the official PR guy for spoons?

Actually, I plan to count how easily I make Christmas cookie
dough this year compared to doing batch after batch with a
heavy hand mixer. I'm going to go crazy and make a couple
of batches at once!

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/12/2014 10:51 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 12/9/2014 12:19 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> I leave mine out in a corner of the counter. It's way too heavy to lift
>>> and move into a cabinet. Your new one will be even heavier than my
>>> Artisan.

>> My sil has something like this in her kitchen:
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Rev-A-Shelf-RA.../dp/B001B0QFOI
>>

> My son and dil have just bought a new house, and will be installing one
> of those pop-ups on the new baking island.
> I gave her a KitchenAid as a shower gift (mine was a gift from _my_
> mother-in-law).

I bought my d-i-l a Cuisinart:-) I was reluctant to get her a KA as the
newer tilt-head ones seemed to have a bad track record and Cooks
Illustrated gave it a glowing review. I have an old Kenwood that really
needs a new speed control. I also have an older model Bosch that will
knead 5kg of bread dough and barely gets warm in the process.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/12/2014 1:15 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> That is lovely, but it seems that it will take up most of the cabinet
>>> with all that extra lifting gear.

>> It absolutely takes up the cabinet.
>>
>>> I have a small piece of counter space between the stove and the
>>> refrigerator. I keep mine there right next to the Keurig coffee maker.

>> I have a couple of ideas, but I'm going to have to see how it
>> goes once I have it here. It'll work out one way or another.
>>
>> nancy

> I suggest you keep a log of how often you use it and for what that you
> couldn't have easily used a spoon. a wire whisk, a hand mixer, or your
> hands... and how many minutes/hours for cleaning/dusting when you
> could have been cooking/napping.

Try making Italian meringues your way!
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/12/2014 10:47 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 12/9/2014 11:51 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Hmmm. I wonder where I will wind up storing it.
>>

> I don't store mine, it lives on the counter top. When it was stored
> (more than 30 years ago), it wasn't used as often. Now that it sits out
> in the open, it gets much more use. The same with my big Cuisinart FP.

I have an old Cuisinart FP that has taken a lot of abuse over the years
so I bought one for my d-i-l when I bought her the mixer.
A friend went down to the US and bought a Robocoup, the original FP. It
was made in France and is built like a battleship. Unfortunately, they
are not available in Canada. Williams-Sonoma stocks them in the US but
not here.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2014 5:28 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

> Actually, I plan to count how easily I make Christmas cookie
> dough this year compared to doing batch after batch with a
> heavy hand mixer. I'm going to go crazy and make a couple
> of batches at once!

If anyone asks what to get you for Xmas, ask for an extra bowl.