Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Turkey Lurky

Cooked kasha varniskas early this morning, two boxes worth:
http://i58.tinypic.com/28woruo.jpg
Decker's heated house is on its way, meanwhile I made Decker a
temporary home, has his sleeping quarters and eating quarters all out
of the nasty weather... the water bowl is heated.
http://i60.tinypic.com/2570hok.jpg
Still snowing... about 6" on the ground, was a wet snow at 35ºF but
now getting colder, already down to 31ºF:
http://i58.tinypic.com/2nvgnt3.jpg
Cali has the good life:
http://i60.tinypic.com/2wdulx0.jpg
My boy Barny is a cutie with a wonderful disposition and has fur like
silk:
http://i60.tinypic.com/2w4bp77.jpg
Decker will be fine, not too cold now. Decker could always sleep in
the barn in one of the heated houses with the barn cats but Decker
likes the deck. I still don't know if Decker is a boy or a girl but I
have a Vet appt arranged for next week so will trap Decker then.
I hope yoose all remembered to defrost your turkey lurky.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Good pics, Shel. I am pleased we have missed all the big snow, although I have paid my snow men twice now to
remove two inches...it sucks to use a cane.

All the talk about dressing/stuffing and leftovers made me hungry for dressing, but I don't like turkey any more,
so bought a roasting chicken. I hope I can stand long enough to make my dinner as I envision it.

I have never in my long life ever roasted a chicken, so printed out Martha's instructions. Her "101" recipes
have never failed me.

All y'all have a nice warm Thanksgiving with good food and lots of family, if that rocks your boat. 😊😊

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/11/2014 2:46 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Cooked kasha varniskas early this morning, two boxes worth:
> http://i58.tinypic.com/28woruo.jpg
> Decker's heated house is on its way, meanwhile I made Decker a
> temporary home, has his sleeping quarters and eating quarters all out
> of the nasty weather... the water bowl is heated.
> http://i60.tinypic.com/2570hok.jpg
> Still snowing... about 6" on the ground, was a wet snow at 35ºF but
> now getting colder, already down to 31ºF:
> http://i58.tinypic.com/2nvgnt3.jpg
> Cali has the good life:
> http://i60.tinypic.com/2wdulx0.jpg
> My boy Barny is a cutie with a wonderful disposition and has fur like
> silk:
> http://i60.tinypic.com/2w4bp77.jpg
> Decker will be fine, not too cold now. Decker could always sleep in
> the barn in one of the heated houses with the barn cats but Decker
> likes the deck. I still don't know if Decker is a boy or a girl but I
> have a Vet appt arranged for next week so will trap Decker then.
> I hope yoose all remembered to defrost your turkey lurky.

The news tonight is replete with stories of people who have left it to
the last minute to travel for Thanksgiving and are held up by delays and
cancellations. Same thing every damned year! Don't people ever learn?
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The news tonight is replete with stories of people who have left it to
the last minute to travel for Thanksgiving and are held up by delays and
cancellations. Same thing every damned year! Don't people ever learn?
Graham

*%*%*%*%*

The question is, don't they look ahead at forecasts?
OTOH, many people don't have the luxury of being able to take Wednesday
off, and can only start their trip after work or on T'giving morning.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/11/2014 7:17 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> The news tonight is replete with stories of people who have left it to
> the last minute to travel for Thanksgiving and are held up by delays and
> cancellations. Same thing every damned year! Don't people ever learn?
> Graham
>
> *%*%*%*%*
>
> The question is, don't they look ahead at forecasts?
> OTOH, many people don't have the luxury of being able to take Wednesday
> off, and can only start their trip after work or on T'giving morning.
>
> N.

Then one has to wonder, is TG *that* important? Can't they celebrate at
home?
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 18:17:32 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

> The question is, don't they look ahead at forecasts

How is a weather forecast going to tell them if there's going to be
inclimate weather the day they fly when they make their airplane
reservations weeks or months in advance?

> OTOH, many people don't have the luxury of being able to take Wednesday
> off, and can only start their trip after work or on T'giving morning.

That too.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 19:34:32 -0700, graham > wrote:

> On 26/11/2014 7:17 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> > The news tonight is replete with stories of people who have left it to
> > the last minute to travel for Thanksgiving and are held up by delays and
> > cancellations. Same thing every damned year! Don't people ever learn?
> > Graham
> >
> > *%*%*%*%*
> >
> > The question is, don't they look ahead at forecasts?
> > OTOH, many people don't have the luxury of being able to take Wednesday
> > off, and can only start their trip after work or on T'giving morning.
> >
> > N.
> >

> Then one has to wonder, is TG *that* important? Can't they celebrate at
> home?

Go to bed and pull the covers over your head until Jan 2, then you'll
be safe until Valentine's Day.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> The news tonight is replete with stories of people who have left it to
> the last minute to travel for Thanksgiving and are held up by delays and
> cancellations. Same thing every damned year! Don't people ever learn?
> Graham
>
> *%*%*%*%*
>
> The question is, don't they look ahead at forecasts?
> OTOH, many people don't have the luxury of being able to take Wednesday
> off, and can only start their trip after work or on T'giving morning.
>
> N.

Some people really frustrate me! I always look ahead at forecasts. They
are predicting snow here on Sat. morning and below freezing temps on Sun.
So not only did I go out today and get some extra food just in case, but I
called someone who is throwing a birthday party for someone else on Sat. I
told her if there was snow, we would not come.

She did not believe me and had the other person (who happened to be there),
look up the forecast. Nope. No snow. Where was I getting this from? So I
reminded her that I live in a different city as does the other person. So
she had the other person look up the forecast for where she lives. No snow.
So she said, "Why are you even telling me this?" Gah!

Thing is, even though all three of us live within a span of about 10 miles,
we are all in the convergence zone and we can all have wildly different
temperatures and weather. And since they don't plow here, I don't go out
when it snows.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 6:10:24 PM UTC-8, graham wrote:

> The news tonight is replete with stories of people who have left it to
> the last minute to travel for Thanksgiving and are held up by delays and
> cancellations. Same thing every damned year! Don't people ever learn?
> Graham

Many people have to work for a living. They have to plan their time off
months in advance, and have to buy tickets well in advance as well, to
get a good price.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 6:34:26 PM UTC-8, graham wrote:
> On 26/11/2014 7:17 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> > The news tonight is replete with stories of people who have left it to
> > the last minute to travel for Thanksgiving and are held up by delays and
> > cancellations. Same thing every damned year! Don't people ever learn?
> > Graham
> >
> > *%*%*%*%*
> >
> > The question is, don't they look ahead at forecasts?
> > OTOH, many people don't have the luxury of being able to take Wednesday
> > off, and can only start their trip after work or on T'giving morning.
> >
> > N.
> >

> Then one has to wonder, is TG *that* important? Can't they celebrate at
> home?
> Graham

Is family important? Are friends important? How about expressing love
for your loved ones?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 26/11/2014 7:17 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
>> The news tonight is replete with stories of people who have left it to
>> the last minute to travel for Thanksgiving and are held up by delays and
>> cancellations. Same thing every damned year! Don't people ever learn?
>> Graham
>>
>> *%*%*%*%*
>>
>> The question is, don't they look ahead at forecasts?
>> OTOH, many people don't have the luxury of being able to take Wednesday
>> off, and can only start their trip after work or on T'giving morning.
>>
>> N.
>>

> Then one has to wonder, is TG *that* important? Can't they celebrate at
> home?
> Graham

I actually prefer staying home. Although it was nice to get together with
my bro and SIL and their son, because we don't see them often, the whole day
turned out not to be much fun. I think mainly because my mom doesn't like
to cook, she turned into a huge ball of stress and that seemed to rub off
onto everyone. It was never a nice, calm, pleasant meal.

Also since I am staying home and I am the cook, I am at liberty to not only
make what I want but the proportions that I want. I will make enough garlic
salad for a few days. I hope that they like it! But the other stuff?
Enough for two days. Nobody will be eating the same thing for days on end.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Still snowing... about 6" on the ground, was a wet snow at 35ºF but
> now getting colder, already down to 31ºF:
> http://i58.tinypic.com/2nvgnt3.jpg

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas" :-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2014 8:17 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> The news tonight is replete with stories of people who have left it to
> the last minute to travel for Thanksgiving and are held up by delays and
> cancellations. Same thing every damned year! Don't people ever learn?
> Graham
>
> *%*%*%*%*
>
> The question is, don't they look ahead at forecasts?
> OTOH, many people don't have the luxury of being able to take Wednesday
> off, and can only start their trip after work or on T'giving morning.
>
> N.

My son, DIL and granddaughter are here from New Jersey. The weather has
been gorgeous: low to mid 70's with bright sunshine, light breeze (for
here) and low humidity. They flew in on Monday.

DIL spent the whole afternoon texting and sending photos of us at the
beach to her friends and family in NJ and CT who were getting snow.

I am having such a wonderful visit and have so much to be thankful for
this year.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 22:31:06 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>
>Some people really frustrate me! I always look ahead at forecasts. They
>are predicting snow here on Sat. morning and below freezing temps on Sun.
>So not only did I go out today and get some extra food just in case.

If you live where it snows and are ascared of not being able to get
out WTF do you need to get extra food "just in case"... just in case
of what, the Martians are landing... I ALWAYS have extra of
everything, it's easy to have a minimum of a years worth of anything.
And you live on dried beans, so you say... you can easily have a ten
year supply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote:

>I prefer staying home. I will make enough garlic salad for a few days.

Garlic salad sounds like a good reason to stay home, ALONE.
WTF is garlic salad?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Cooked kasha varniskas early this morning, two boxes worth:
> http://i58.tinypic.com/28woruo.jpg
> Decker's heated house is on its way, meanwhile I made Decker a
> temporary home, has his sleeping quarters and eating quarters all out
> of the nasty weather... the water bowl is heated.
> http://i60.tinypic.com/2570hok.jpg
> Still snowing... about 6" on the ground, was a wet snow at 35ºF but
> now getting colder, already down to 31ºF:
> http://i58.tinypic.com/2nvgnt3.jpg
> Cali has the good life:
> http://i60.tinypic.com/2wdulx0.jpg
> My boy Barny is a cutie with a wonderful disposition and has fur like
> silk:
> http://i60.tinypic.com/2w4bp77.jpg
> Decker will be fine, not too cold now. Decker could always sleep in
> the barn in one of the heated houses with the barn cats but Decker
> likes the deck. I still don't know if Decker is a boy or a girl but I
> have a Vet appt arranged for next week so will trap Decker then.
> I hope yoose all remembered to defrost your turkey lurky.

Thank you, and I always enjoy your pix, Sheldon. Your kitties are very lucky and you are lucky to have them.

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gregorymorrowchicago07 wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> Cooked kasha varniskas early this morning, two boxes worth:
>> http://i58.tinypic.com/28woruo.jpg
>> Decker's heated house is on its way, meanwhile I made Decker a
>> temporary home, has his sleeping quarters and eating quarters all out
>> of the nasty weather... the water bowl is heated.
>> http://i60.tinypic.com/2570hok.jpg
>> Still snowing... about 6" on the ground, was a wet snow at 35ºF but
>> now getting colder, already down to 31ºF:
>> http://i58.tinypic.com/2nvgnt3.jpg
>> Cali has the good life:
>> http://i60.tinypic.com/2wdulx0.jpg
>> My boy Barny is a cutie with a wonderful disposition and has fur like
>> silk:
>> http://i60.tinypic.com/2w4bp77.jpg
>> Decker will be fine, not too cold now. Decker could always sleep in
>> the barn in one of the heated houses with the barn cats but Decker
>> likes the deck. I still don't know if Decker is a boy or a girl but I
>> have a Vet appt arranged for next week so will trap Decker then.
>> I hope yoose all remembered to defrost your turkey lurky.

>Thank you, and I always enjoy your pix, Sheldon. Your kitties are very lucky and you are lucky to have them.

Have a good Thanksgiving, Greg.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 22:31:06 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>>
>>Some people really frustrate me! I always look ahead at forecasts. They
>>are predicting snow here on Sat. morning and below freezing temps on Sun.
>>So not only did I go out today and get some extra food just in case.

> If you live where it snows and are ascared of not being able to get
> out WTF do you need to get extra food "just in case"... just in case
> of what, the Martians are landing... I ALWAYS have extra of
> everything, it's easy to have a minimum of a years worth of anything.
> And you live on dried beans, so you say... you can easily have a ten
> year supply.

I always keep extra of non-perishables. But not a lot of extra fresh food.
Especially not with a holiday like today. My fridge is full of Thanksgiving
stuff. Or was. Currently most of it is out and heating up.

Alas what I bought is already gone. I will buy what I think is enough food
for 3-4 days and often it is gone in a day. One person here eats far more
than the rest of us.

So while we would never starve, we would get kind of tired of eating things
like soup and pasta.

*I* would not have a problem. The food that I bought was not for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>>
>>I prefer staying home. I will make enough garlic salad for a few days.

> Garlic salad sounds like a good reason to stay home, ALONE.
> WTF is garlic salad?

Apparently not something very common because I asked about it here a little
while ago and got no responses. This is the recipe that I made.

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/693...s-Garlic-Salad

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 16:57:37 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>>>
>>>I prefer staying home. I will make enough garlic salad for a few days.

>> Garlic salad sounds like a good reason to stay home, ALONE.
>> WTF is garlic salad?

>Apparently not something very common because I asked about it here a little
>while ago and got no responses. This is the recipe that I made.
>
>http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/693...s-Garlic-Salad

Huh... that doesn't even contain any real garlic and only a smidge of
powdered relative to all the other ingredients... that's more a recipe
for lousy slaw. I never use any garlic with a cabbage dish...
cabbage + garlic = TIAD.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 16:57:37 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>>>
>>>I prefer staying home. I will make enough garlic salad for a few days.

>> Garlic salad sounds like a good reason to stay home, ALONE.
>> WTF is garlic salad?

>Apparently not something very common because I asked about it here a little
>while ago and got no responses. This is the recipe that I made.
>
>http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/693...s-Garlic-Salad

That looks hideous. Why is it called "garlic salad"? There's no garlic
in it.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2014 11:40 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 18:17:32 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
>> The question is, don't they look ahead at forecasts

> How is a weather forecast going to tell them if there's going to be
> inclimate weather the day they fly when they make their airplane
> reservations weeks or months in advance?

True enough. A couple of years ago my SO and I decided he'd spend
Christmas here, and I'm not talking about flying here the day before.
He booked the flight *at least* a month in advance. When his friend was
driving him to the airport it started to snow. After his flight was
called they announced the plane had to be de-iced. It was snowing and
sleeting so hard by that time they had everyone get off the plane. It
didn't take long before all the flights were cancelled.

I suppose he could have checked the weather that morning but since the
airport is many miles away it may not have told him anything useful.
(He doesn't have a computer.) I'm just glad his friend was able to make
the drive back to pick him up. The roads near the airport were treacherous.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2014 3:46 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Cooked kasha varniskas early this morning, two boxes worth:
> http://i58.tinypic.com/28woruo.jpg
> Decker's heated house is on its way, meanwhile I made Decker a
> temporary home, has his sleeping quarters and eating quarters all out
> of the nasty weather... the water bowl is heated.
> http://i60.tinypic.com/2570hok.jpg
> Still snowing... about 6" on the ground, was a wet snow at 35ºF but
> now getting colder, already down to 31ºF:
> http://i58.tinypic.com/2nvgnt3.jpg
> Cali has the good life:
> http://i60.tinypic.com/2wdulx0.jpg
> My boy Barny is a cutie with a wonderful disposition and has fur like
> silk:
> http://i60.tinypic.com/2w4bp77.jpg
> Decker will be fine, not too cold now. Decker could always sleep in
> the barn in one of the heated houses with the barn cats but Decker
> likes the deck. I still don't know if Decker is a boy or a girl but I
> have a Vet appt arranged for next week so will trap Decker then.
> I hope yoose all remembered to defrost your turkey lurky.

You have some happy cats, I always enjoy seeing their photos.

The weather here was nice, it was sunny and we had a high in the low
70's, so people were able to sit outside on the patio, drink wine and
have good conversations. There was some chatter about us *possibly*
having grandchildren, but my oldest son is still undecided. I remain
hopeful.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/26/2014 11:40 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 18:17:32 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> The question is, don't they look ahead at forecasts

>> How is a weather forecast going to tell them if there's going to be
>> inclimate weather the day they fly when they make their airplane
>> reservations weeks or months in advance?
>>

> True enough. A couple of years ago my SO and I decided he'd spend
> Christmas here, and I'm not talking about flying here the day before.
> He booked the flight *at least* a month in advance. When his friend
> was driving him to the airport it started to snow. After his flight
> was called they announced the plane had to be de-iced. It was snowing
> and sleeting so hard by that time they had everyone get off the
> plane. It didn't take long before all the flights were cancelled.
>
> I suppose he could have checked the weather that morning but since the
> airport is many miles away it may not have told him anything useful.
> (He doesn't have a computer.) I'm just glad his friend was able to
> make the drive back to pick him up. The roads near the airport were
> treacherous.
>
> Jill

Hopefully she gave him his T-day B-jay.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> > "Julie Bove" wrote:
> > >
> > > I prefer staying home. I will make enough garlic salad for a few
> > > days.

> > Garlic salad sounds like a good reason to stay home, ALONE.
> > WTF is garlic salad?

> Apparently not something very common because I asked about it here a
> little while ago and got no responses. This is the recipe that I
> made.
>
> http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/693...s-Garlic-Salad

Julie, Not a great recipe but if you like it, then you might like true
savory (no sugar added) cole slaws. The base is shredded cabbage and
Mayo (not miracle whip which is too sweet). Then you add things such
as you listed.

That recipe though was of the blander middle country area (not all is
bland, but that one is). You'd have to add a lot more garlic powder in
there to be able to tell it was used.

Here's an alternative that might work assuming size of cabbage makes
about 7 cuts tight packed shredded.

2 TB butter (can use margarine this time). 6 cloves garlic minced fine
as you can. 1/2 onion munced fairly fine. Add both to the butter and
cook on low until the onions start to carmelize (turn brown). Add to
cabbage mix.

Now using what it already has, add 1 TS black pepper and up to 4 TB
prepared mustard. (You may want 2 TB in your case).

I dont suggest using a blender like they do. Food processor or a
simple knife works better for this one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> gregorymorrowchicago07 wrote:
> > Brooklyn1 wrote:
> >
> >> Cooked kasha varniskas early this morning, two boxes worth:
> >> http://i58.tinypic.com/28woruo.jpg
> >> Decker's heated house is on its way, meanwhile I made Decker a
> >> temporary home, has his sleeping quarters and eating quarters all

> out >> of the nasty weather... the water bowl is heated.
> >> http://i60.tinypic.com/2570hok.jpg
> >> Still snowing... about 6" on the ground, was a wet snow at 35ºF but
> >> now getting colder, already down to 31ºF:
> >> http://i58.tinypic.com/2nvgnt3.jpg
> >> Cali has the good life:
> >> http://i60.tinypic.com/2wdulx0.jpg
> >> My boy Barny is a cutie with a wonderful disposition and has fur

> like >> silk:
> >> http://i60.tinypic.com/2w4bp77.jpg
> >> Decker will be fine, not too cold now. Decker could always sleep

> in >> the barn in one of the heated houses with the barn cats but
> Decker >> likes the deck. I still don't know if Decker is a boy or a
> girl but I >> have a Vet appt arranged for next week so will trap
> Decker then. >> I hope yoose all remembered to defrost your turkey
> lurky.
> >

> > Thank you, and I always enjoy your pix, Sheldon. Your kitties are
> > very lucky and you are lucky to have them.

> Have a good Thanksgiving, Greg.

We had a good one too. For a few days we are fostering 2 blind beagles
added to our 2 beagles (one of ours is also blind) and our cat. The
foster parent wanted to go west for a family event so we took these 2
in for 4 days.

They are lucky ones as they are both are pending adoption but all the
paperwork wasn't done in time (house check here required). They are
sweet little 4yo brother and sister. They figured out first day to run
to the kitchen if they hear any sounds in there... Hoping for treats
;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2014 2:19 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> gregorymorrowchicago07 wrote:

>> out >> of the nasty weather... the water bowl is heated.

>> like >> silk:

>> in >> the barn in one of the heated houses with the barn cats but
>> Decker >> likes the deck. I still don't know if Decker is a boy or a
>> girl but I >> have a Vet appt arranged for next week so will trap
>> Decker then. >> I hope yoose all remembered to defrost your turkey
>> lurky.
>>>

>>> Thank you, and I always enjoy your pix, Sheldon. Your kitties are
>>> very lucky and you are lucky to have them.

>> Have a good Thanksgiving, Greg.

> We had a good one too. For a few days we are fostering 2 blind beagles
> added to our 2 beagles (one of ours is also blind) and our cat. The
> foster parent wanted to go west for a family event so we took these 2
> in for 4 days.
>
> They are lucky ones as they are both are pending adoption but all the
> paperwork wasn't done in time (house check here required). They are
> sweet little 4yo brother and sister. They figured out first day to run
> to the kitchen if they hear any sounds in there... Hoping for treats
> ;-)

That was a nice thing you did, fostering two blind beagles. It is hard
to find people who will foster blind dogs or cats, especially during the
holidays.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2014 4:03 PM, Becca EmaNymton wrote:

> That was a nice thing you did, fostering two blind beagles. It is hard
> to find people who will foster blind dogs or cats, especially during the
> holidays.
>
> Becca

There ws something in our local paper about an evaluation session that
will be held next Saturday for Therapy Dog candidates. I thought Mickey
would be a good candidate as he's already done a nursing home and
visited folks when he came to see me in the hospital last year.

They want me to take an online course for $70 which will certify me as a
handler, but I have no idea if Mickey will pass the evaluation. He
knows all of his commands but expects a treat when he executes them.
(He's no dummy, that's how he was trained) The dogs have to do their
basic commands without treats.

I'm going to volunteer on Saturday without taking Mickey, to see what
the dogs have to do to be certified before I spend $70 on the course.

I think Mickey and I would really enjoy him being a Therapy Dog, but
we'll have to see.

Meanwhile, I've told the Shelter that I'm ready to foster another kitten
should one appear.
--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 16:03:14 -0600, Becca EmaNymton
> wrote:

>On 11/29/2014 2:19 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> out >> of the nasty weather... the water bowl is heated.
>>> like >> silk:
>>> in >> the barn in one of the heated houses with the barn cats but
>>> Decker >> likes the deck. I still don't know if Decker is a boy or a
>>> girl but I >> have a Vet appt arranged for next week so will trap
>>> Decker then. >> I hope yoose all remembered to defrost your turkey
>>> lurky.

>>> Have a good Thanksgiving, Greg.

>> We had a good one too. For a few days we are fostering 2 blind beagles
>> added to our 2 beagles (one of ours is also blind) and our cat. The
>> foster parent wanted to go west for a family event so we took these 2
>> in for 4 days.
>>
>> They are lucky ones as they are both are pending adoption but all the
>> paperwork wasn't done in time (house check here required). They are
>> sweet little 4yo brother and sister. They figured out first day to run
>> to the kitchen if they hear any sounds in there... Hoping for treats
>> ;-)

>That was a nice thing you did, fostering two blind beagles. It is hard
>to find people who will foster blind dogs or cats, especially during the
>holidays.
>
>Becca

I've had two blind cats... they do very well when there are other cats
that can see, in fact as kittens they follow so well you'd never know
they are blind. Their other senses easily compensate, they find their
way by following sound and scent, and have excellent memory of their
surroundings. I don't think a blind cat can do well outdoors but as a
house cat they learn every corner of their world intimately, perhaps
better than a sighted cat. A blind cat will know how to find you and
they become extremely affectionate... and how they play with their
toys no one would guess they are blind.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-29 5:26 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> There ws something in our local paper about an evaluation session that
> will be held next Saturday for Therapy Dog candidates. I thought Mickey
> would be a good candidate as he's already done a nursing home and
> visited folks when he came to see me in the hospital last year.
>
> They want me to take an online course for $70 which will certify me as a
> handler, but I have no idea if Mickey will pass the evaluation. He
> knows all of his commands but expects a treat when he executes them.
> (He's no dummy, that's how he was trained) The dogs have to do their
> basic commands without treats.
>
> I'm going to volunteer on Saturday without taking Mickey, to see what
> the dogs have to do to be certified before I spend $70 on the course.

Call me a curmudgeon. I figure that if they want to use your dog as a
therapy dog let them screen it and then pay for the certification.
Sorry, but I have been burned on charity work. I had been doing horse
therapy work and ended up getting sued when one of the volunteers got
hurt after not doing what I told him to do. He was suing for $2
million. It was only recently settled and I don't even know how much
the jerk got out of it.

I used to help out with the food bank at my wife's church. Now they want
everyone to get a police check,and it costs money. I have to pay money
to go and do charity work with people, many of whom have criminal
records..... so screw that. If they expect me to get a criminal record
search done to do charity work they can pay for it.

> Meanwhile, I've told the Shelter that I'm ready to foster another kitten
> should one appear.

I am much happier these days with the rescue dog I have, who was
originally a Hurricane Katrina rescue. We got him 5 years ago when he
was five and his original rescuers gave up on him. He has come a long
way. Maybe one day I will be able to say he is a good dog. Meanwhile, I
am counting on a spot in Heaven for having put up with him.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 18:25:42 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2014-11-29 5:26 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> There ws something in our local paper about an evaluation session that
>> will be held next Saturday for Therapy Dog candidates. I thought Mickey
>> would be a good candidate as he's already done a nursing home and
>> visited folks when he came to see me in the hospital last year.
>>
>> They want me to take an online course for $70 which will certify me as a
>> handler, but I have no idea if Mickey will pass the evaluation. He
>> knows all of his commands but expects a treat when he executes them.
>> (He's no dummy, that's how he was trained) The dogs have to do their
>> basic commands without treats.
>>
>> I'm going to volunteer on Saturday without taking Mickey, to see what
>> the dogs have to do to be certified before I spend $70 on the course.

>Call me a curmudgeon. I figure that if they want to use your dog as a
>therapy dog let them screen it and then pay for the certification.
>Sorry, but I have been burned on charity work. I had been doing horse
>therapy work and ended up getting sued when one of the volunteers got
>hurt after not doing what I told him to do. He was suing for $2
>million. It was only recently settled and I don't even know how much
>the jerk got out of it.
>
>I used to help out with the food bank at my wife's church. Now they want
>everyone to get a police check,and it costs money. I have to pay money
>to go and do charity work with people, many of whom have criminal
>records..... so screw that. If they expect me to get a criminal record
>search done to do charity work they can pay for it.
>
>> Meanwhile, I've told the Shelter that I'm ready to foster another kitten
>> should one appear.

>I am much happier these days with the rescue dog I have, who was
>originally a Hurricane Katrina rescue. We got him 5 years ago when he
>was five and his original rescuers gave up on him. He has come a long
>way. Maybe one day I will be able to say he is a good dog. Meanwhile, I
>am counting on a spot in Heaven for having put up with him.

Screw all that. Just round up some like-minded people and do what you
can to help your local community directly without getting tangled in
bureaucracy and red tape. Keep it low key and fly under the legal
radar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-29 6:48 PM, Jeßus wrote:
..

> Screw all that. Just round up some like-minded people and do what you
> can to help your local community directly without getting tangled in
> bureaucracy and red tape. Keep it low key and fly under the legal
> radar.

Sounds good, but, as I found out, sometime you find yourself the target
of a legal process. The horse therapy charity had insurance that covered
me so it would not have cost me. It sort of ****es me off that I was not
privy to the details of the settlement.

I have no problem with them having a criminal record search done on me,
but damned if I am going to pay to have a criminal search done on me
when it will show no criminal convictions when it will entitle me to
work with a bunch of people with criminal records.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2014 5:25 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-11-29 5:26 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> There ws something in our local paper about an evaluation session that
>> will be held next Saturday for Therapy Dog candidates. I thought Mickey
>> would be a good candidate as he's already done a nursing home and
>> visited folks when he came to see me in the hospital last year.
>>
>> They want me to take an online course for $70 which will certify me as a
>> handler, but I have no idea if Mickey will pass the evaluation. He
>> knows all of his commands but expects a treat when he executes them.
>> (He's no dummy, that's how he was trained) The dogs have to do their
>> basic commands without treats.
>>
>> I'm going to volunteer on Saturday without taking Mickey, to see what
>> the dogs have to do to be certified before I spend $70 on the course.

> Call me a curmudgeon. I figure that if they want to use your dog as a
> therapy dog let them screen it and then pay for the certification.
> Sorry, but I have been burned on charity work. I had been doing horse
> therapy work and ended up getting sued when one of the volunteers got
> hurt after not doing what I told him to do. He was suing for $2
> million. It was only recently settled and I don't even know how much
> the jerk got out of it.
>
> I used to help out with the food bank at my wife's church. Now they want
> everyone to get a police check,and it costs money. I have to pay money
> to go and do charity work with people, many of whom have criminal
> records..... so screw that. If they expect me to get a criminal record
> search done to do charity work they can pay for it.

Wow!!! I''d just write checks (or checques) if I were you.

>> Meanwhile, I've told the Shelter that I'm ready to foster another kitten
>> should one appear.

> I am much happier these days with the rescue dog I have, who was
> originally a Hurricane Katrina rescue. We got him 5 years ago when he
> was five and his original rescuers gave up on him. He has come a long
> way. Maybe one day I will be able to say he is a good dog. Meanwhile, I
> am counting on a spot in Heaven for having put up with him.

Your dog isn't named "Marley", is he?

My friend watched Mickey for me in October when I went to New Jersey.
Her best buddy was so taken with Mickey Charles that he went to the
shelter and got him a dog. Now she is considering a rescue dog who
appears to be mostly Poodle, but from the photo she showed me, it looks
like a mini which could be upwards of 20 lbs. She wants a tiny one she
can pick up like Mickey, who weighed in today at the Vet at a 'hefty'
7.5 pounds.

She is blaming their wanting their own dog on Mickey's charm. He is
such a little sweetie. Becca and George will vouch for him.

I will go with her to meet the dog later in December. It's at a rescue
place.
--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 28/11/2014 12:52 PM, Janet wrote:

>>> Apparently not something very common because I asked about it here a
>>> little
>>> while ago and got no responses. This is the recipe that I made.

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/693...s-Garlic-Salad

>> Contains hardly any garlic !
>>
>> Janet UK
>>

> And no fresh, a given for a salad I would have thought! But she's allergic
> to that perhaps:-)
> Graham

I don't like garlic and I wouldn't touch the stuff. It's the cabbage that I
can't have. But online reviews of this and other recipes were great so I
really thought they would like it. Both love coleslaw and garlic. But I
will admit that the stuff stunk to high heaven~~

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/26/2014 11:40 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 18:17:32 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> The question is, don't they look ahead at forecasts

>> How is a weather forecast going to tell them if there's going to be
>> inclimate weather the day they fly when they make their airplane
>> reservations weeks or months in advance?
>>

> True enough. A couple of years ago my SO and I decided he'd spend
> Christmas here, and I'm not talking about flying here the day before. He
> booked the flight *at least* a month in advance. When his friend was
> driving him to the airport it started to snow. After his flight was
> called they announced the plane had to be de-iced. It was snowing and
> sleeting so hard by that time they had everyone get off the plane. It
> didn't take long before all the flights were cancelled.
>
> I suppose he could have checked the weather that morning but since the
> airport is many miles away it may not have told him anything useful. (He
> doesn't have a computer.) I'm just glad his friend was able to make the
> drive back to pick him up. The roads near the airport were treacherous.
>
> Jill

When I lived on Cape Cod, I decided to fly back here for Christmas. I made
the mistake of flying out on Dec. 23 and then we got essentially snowed in.
I hired a van to take me to the airport. It got me there two hours after my
flight should have taken off. But they kept delaying the flight and
eventually cancelled it.

There was precious little at the airport to eat. I was stuck there all day
as were countless others and they began to run out of food. I was pregnant
at the time and became very testy. Nobody could tell me anything. I
finally went with another woman to a counter and we both complained. They
put us straight away on a flight to Chicago where we were put up at a nice
hotel and were given a free breakfast. But... We got there so late that I
had no time at all to sleep. I had a change of underwear and some of my
cosmetics with me so I was able to at least take a shower and freshen up.
But I was very cranky by the time I finally arrived in Seattle.

Then they lost my luggage. Luckily I had brought all of the presents in a
carryon. They used to allow two in those days. I think someone did bring
the bag with my clothes on Christmas day or perhaps it was the day after.

I have never flown during the holidays since and I never will.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29/11/2014 4:25 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I am much happier these days with the rescue dog I have, who was
> originally a Hurricane Katrina rescue. We got him 5 years ago when he
> was five and his original rescuers gave up on him. He has come a long
> way. Maybe one day I will be able to say he is a good dog. Meanwhile, I
> am counting on a spot in Heaven for having put up with him.

Kerist! Aren't there enough dogs needing homes in Canada without
bringing in mutts of uncertain temperament from other countries?
The other evening there was a TV show on Canadian Border Services. This
stupid woman was importing a trailer full of dogs from (IIRC) Mexico for
adoption. Judging by the features, most appeared to be pitbulls or
pitbull crosses, just what is needed in Canada - Sheesh!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-29 22:38, graham wrote:
> On 29/11/2014 4:25 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>

>> I am much happier these days with the rescue dog I have, who was
>> originally a Hurricane Katrina rescue. We got him 5 years ago when he
>> was five and his original rescuers gave up on him. He has come a long
>> way. Maybe one day I will be able to say he is a good dog. Meanwhile, I
>> am counting on a spot in Heaven for having put up with him.

> Kerist! Aren't there enough dogs needing homes in Canada without
> bringing in mutts of uncertain temperament from other countries?
> The other evening there was a TV show on Canadian Border Services. This
> stupid woman was importing a trailer full of dogs from (IIRC) Mexico for
> adoption. Judging by the features, most appeared to be pitbulls or
> pitbull crosses, just what is needed in Canada - Sheesh!

I got him from a woman who spends he summers in a cottage in Muskoka
and winters in a trailer park in Florida. They had been told they could
not bring him back to the trailer park because he was so bad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2014 10:38 PM, graham wrote:

> Judging by the features, most appeared to be pitbulls or
> pitbull crosses, just what is needed in Canada - Sheesh!
> Graham

Depends on the individual dog and how it was raised/trained. My
grandson adopted a pit bull when someone had to leave a dog behind. I
thought he was nuts.

Turns out, it is a 6 year old female that is the best behaved, sweetest
dog we've ever had. She is at our house frequently and sometimes spends
a day or two with us.

Many are raised by young men that think it is a neat idea to have a
nasty tempered dog. They can't legally have a pistol, so they
substitute a nasty dog.