Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dressing or stuffing?

So what do you call it?

When I was a kid, we "stuffed" the turkey with stuffing.

I still call it that even though we bake it separately.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-24 8:25 AM, George Leppla wrote:
> So what do you call it?
>
> When I was a kid, we "stuffed" the turkey with stuffing.
>
> I still call it that even though we bake it separately.

Stuffing, even if cooked separately. It was only cooked separately if
there was an exceptionally large crowd and we needed more than would fit
in the bird.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 07:25:47 -0600, George Leppla
> wrote:

> So what do you call it?
>
> When I was a kid, we "stuffed" the turkey with stuffing.

Same here. Our turkeys were always stuffed. Now that I'm an adult
and I can make more if I want to, I put some in the bird, bake some in
a casserole dish and combine the two before serving so all of it
tastes like it was baked inside the bird.

> I still call it that even though we bake it separately.

I'm one of those people who interchanges the words. If you can dress
a chicken, I can call it dressing if I want to even though it was
stuffed inside.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 07:25:47 -0600, George Leppla
> > wrote:
>
>> So what do you call it?
>>
>> When I was a kid, we "stuffed" the turkey with stuffing.

> Same here. Our turkeys were always stuffed. Now that I'm an adult
> and I can make more if I want to, I put some in the bird, bake some in
> a casserole dish and combine the two before serving so all of it
> tastes like it was baked inside the bird.
>>
>> I still call it that even though we bake it separately.
>>

> I'm one of those people who interchanges the words. If you can dress
> a chicken, I can call it dressing if I want to even though it was
> stuffed inside.
>

> --
> Avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables by getting someone else to
> hold them.

In the South, stuffing is made with bread, dressing is made with cornbread.
Dressing is the more popular.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message
> So what do you call it?
>
> When I was a kid, we "stuffed" the turkey with stuffing.
>
> I still call it that even though we bake it separately.

Same here!
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 08:34:29 -0600, "Kody"
> wrote:

> In the South, stuffing is made with bread, dressing is made with cornbread.
> Dressing is the more popular.

That certainly simplifies things! I tried serving cornbread
stuffing/dressing once, but my family rebelled and I put that idea to
rest.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 24, 2014 8:31:43 AM UTC-6, Kody wrote:

> So what do you call it?
>
> > In the South, stuffing is made with bread, dressing is made with cornbread.

> Dressing is the more popular.

YES!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 24, 2014 9:06:14 AM UTC-6, sf wrote:

> I tried serving cornbread
> stuffing/dressing once, but my family rebelled and I put that idea to
> rest.

Post your recipe and maybe we can determine what it was your family did not like about cornbread dressing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 07:06:10 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 08:34:29 -0600, "Kody"
> wrote:
>
>> In the South, stuffing is made with bread, dressing is made with cornbread.
>> Dressing is the more popular.

>That certainly simplifies things! I tried serving cornbread
>stuffing/dressing once, but my family rebelled and I put that idea to
>rest.

a friend does cornbread with oysters. I can't begin to tell you how
revolting that is.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 24, 2014 10:12:37 AM UTC-6, Janet B wrote:

> a friend does cornbread with oysters. I can't begin to tell you how
> revolting that is.
> Janet US

I've read about oyster dressing and I've never eaten it but I believe I'd be hanging my head in a toilet if I ate it. NOT fond of oysters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 09:12:40 -0700, Janet B >
wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 07:06:10 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 08:34:29 -0600, "Kody"
> > wrote:
> >
> >> In the South, stuffing is made with bread, dressing is made with cornbread.
> >> Dressing is the more popular.

> >That certainly simplifies things! I tried serving cornbread
> >stuffing/dressing once, but my family rebelled and I put that idea to
> >rest.

> a friend does cornbread with oysters. I can't begin to tell you how
> revolting that is.

I like oysters, but not in any kind of stuffing/dressing - PLEASE.
I'll take mine BBQ'd or roasted. Thank you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 16:46:08 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

> So, for me, it's "pass the dressing, please".

You're right about "Please pass the dressing", but I call it stuffing
when I make it and it doesn't matter if it's inside the bird or inside
a pan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/24/2014 12:00 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 09:12:40 -0700, Janet B >
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 07:06:10 -0800, sf > wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 08:34:29 -0600, "Kody"

>>> That certainly simplifies things! I tried serving cornbread
>>> stuffing/dressing once, but my family rebelled and I put that idea to
>>> rest.

>> a friend does cornbread with oysters. I can't begin to tell you how
>> revolting that is.

> I like oysters, but not in any kind of stuffing/dressing - PLEASE.
> I'll take mine BBQ'd or roasted. Thank you.

I can't say that I like oyster stuffing but twenty years ago, I overcame
my aesthetic aversion to raw oysters and found they were wonderful. I do
like battered fried oysters but I still have memories of my worst case
of food poisoning from fried oysters made from some that had been refrozen.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 12:09:17 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> I still have memories of my worst case
> of food poisoning from fried oysters made from some that had been refrozen.

I can't bring myself to eat frozen bivalves. How can you tell which
ones were already dead before they were frozen?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/24/2014 12:12 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 12:09:17 -0500, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>> I still have memories of my worst case
>> of food poisoning from fried oysters made from some that had been refrozen.

> I can't bring myself to eat frozen bivalves. How can you tell which
> ones were already dead before they were frozen?

If they are opened in front of you, it is possible but if the shellfish
has been shucked and the meat frozen, thawed and refrozen, you cannot
tell from appearance and are asking for trouble.

(That's what happened to me with the fried oysters. It was simply a
disastrous mistake without malice or fraud being involved.)

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dressing, cooked in its own pan

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/11/2014 9:46 AM, l not -l wrote:
> On 24-Nov-2014, George Leppla > wrote:
>
>> So what do you call it?
>>
>> When I was a kid, we "stuffed" the turkey with stuffing.
>>
>> I still call it that even though we bake it separately.
>>
>> George L

> Our family has always called it dressing; but, we also never stuffed it in a
> bird.

My mother followed her mother's and grandmothers' practice of stuffing
the bird, and my sister does as well. However, I preferred to cook it
separately as the bird cooked quicker.
Sis wraps the stuffed turkey in heavily buttered muslin (cheesecloth)
prior to roasting.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/24/2014 9:34 AM, Kody wrote:
> In the South, stuffing is made with bread, dressing is made with cornbread.
> Dressing is the more popular.

Huh. I never heard that before. I use the terms stuffing and dressing
interchangeably, whether regardless of the type of bread used.

Jill
St. Helena Island, SC
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/24/2014 9:34 AM, Kody wrote:
>> In the South, stuffing is made with bread, dressing is made with
>> cornbread.
>> Dressing is the more popular.

> Huh. I never heard that before. I use the terms stuffing and dressing
> interchangeably, whether regardless of the type of bread used.
>
> Jill
> St. Helena Island, SC

I hear it frequently and usually it's hotly contested. I'm a transplant so
I'm all about some homemade bread stuffing but few here will eat it, they
prefer the dryer cornbread dressing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 24, 2014 12:39:07 PM UTC-6, Kody wrote:

> I'm a transplant so
> I'm all about some homemade bread stuffing but few here will eat it, they
> prefer the dryer cornbread dressing.

If the dressing is dry, it's not because it's made from cornbread, it's because they are not adding enough turkey or chicken broth to make it moister. My sister-in-law makes a cornbread dressing that is D R Y and fortunately she also makes copious amounts of gravy as it definitely needs it. Her mother and grandmother also made dry as a bone dressing. :-(

Just this week I've watch a few of the Thanksgiving cooking shows on Food Network and the Cooking Channel. Without fail every show featured drrrrrrry dressing (or as they called it 'stuffing.') It's dry going into the oven and then cooked anywhere from 30-45 minutes. Makes me wonder if they are preparing paving stones for their gardens instead of food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/24/2014 1:41 PM, Kody wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 11/24/2014 9:34 AM, Kody wrote:
>>> In the South, stuffing is made with bread, dressing is made with
>>> cornbread.
>>> Dressing is the more popular.

>> Huh. I never heard that before. I use the terms stuffing and dressing
>> interchangeably, whether regardless of the type of bread used.
>>
>> Jill
>> St. Helena Island, SC

> I hear it frequently and usually it's hotly contested. I'm a transplant so
> I'm all about some homemade bread stuffing but few here will eat it, they
> prefer the dryer cornbread dressing.

My cornbread dressing isn't dry, although I guess I've seen some
examples of somewhat crumbly cornbread dressing over the years. My
cornbread dressing is nice and moist.

On the flip side of dry, I don't know what my Southern former MIL did to
her dressing or what the heck she used to make it. All I know is her
"dressing" was so runny you could slide a spoon through it and it would
part like the Red Sea then run right back again. It looked like it had
been regurgitated. I tried to be a polite guest but I simply couldn't
bring myself to taste it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 24, 2014 1:07:49 PM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:

> On the flip side of dry, I don't know what my Southern former MIL did to
> her dressing or what the heck she used to make it. All I know is her
> "dressing" was so runny you could slide a spoon through it and it would
> part like the Red Sea then run right back again.
>
> Jill

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-24 1:35 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/24/2014 9:34 AM, Kody wrote:
>> In the South, stuffing is made with bread, dressing is made with
>> cornbread.
>> Dressing is the more popular.

> Huh. I never heard that before. I use the terms stuffing and dressing
> interchangeably, whether regardless of the type of bread used.

I think of them as being interchangeable, but I always call it stuffing.
I Googled stove top stuffing ans stove top dressing and both came back
with hits for stuffing, not dressing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/24/2014 12:41 PM, Kody wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 11/24/2014 9:34 AM, Kody wrote:
>>> In the South, stuffing is made with bread, dressing is made with
>>> cornbread.
>>> Dressing is the more popular.

>> Huh. I never heard that before. I use the terms stuffing and dressing
>> interchangeably, whether regardless of the type of bread used.
>>
>> Jill
>> St. Helena Island, SC

> I hear it frequently and usually it's hotly contested. I'm a transplant so
> I'm all about some homemade bread stuffing but few here will eat it, they
> prefer the dryer cornbread dressing.

I make mine with a mixture of breads, including good white bread,
cornbread, and also black onion rye when I can get it. Plus wild rice.
We call it stuffing/dressing interchangeably.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message
> So what do you call it?
>
> When I was a kid, we "stuffed" the turkey with stuffing.
>
> I still call it that even though we bake it separately.
>
> George L

This is an interesting map concerning the subject:
http://www.butterball.com/how-tos/stuffing-vs-dressing

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 24, 2014 10:02:48 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Monday, November 24, 2014 9:06:14 AM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> >
> > I tried serving cornbread
> > stuffing/dressing once, but my family rebelled and I put that idea to
> > rest.

I would have rebelled too.

> Post your recipe and maybe we can determine what it was your family did not like about cornbread dressing.

How about the simple fat that it was cornbread.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-24 13:25:47 +0000, George Leppla said:

> So what do you call it?
>
> When I was a kid, we "stuffed" the turkey with stuffing.
>
> I still call it that even though we bake it separately.
>
> George L

Yeah, we never called it dressing. Dressing is a liquid that you put
onto salad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 24, 2014 3:24:04 PM UTC-6, Kody wrote:

> This is an interesting map concerning the subject:
> http://www.butterball.com/how-tos/stuffing-vs-dressing

That was interesting!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message
> So what do you call it?
>
> When I was a kid, we "stuffed" the turkey with stuffing.
>
> I still call it that even though we bake it separately.
>
> George L

We didn't have it when I was a kid so I didn't know what it was. I had
never heard of it until we had it at The Yesteryear restaurant when we had
Thanksgiving dinner there. I can't remember what they called it but it was
oyster so I wouldn't eat it.

Then they came out with Stove Top which is called stuffing so I call it
that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 24, 2014 3:56:50 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 13:29:38 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> > wrote:

> >I would have rebelled too.
> >> >
> >> Post your recipe and maybe we can determine what it was your family did not like about cornbread dressing.

> >How about the simple fat that it was cornbread.

> Cornbread's a fat?
>
> --
> Bruce

Hahahaaaaaaa, you squirrel. And I doubt the reason they rejected her dressing was because it started with cornbread. But she's not been forthcoming in how she prepared it for us to determine what they didn't like about it. Personally, I'm not a fan of 'bread' dressing; it's usually too gummy for me but others here rave about it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 24, 2014 3:52:24 PM UTC-6, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:

> Yeah, we never called it dressing. Dressing is a liquid that you put
> onto salad.

That's because you live in the Northwest where the consensus is it's called 'stuffing' whether it's inside or outside the bird.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/24/2014 8:34 AM, Kody wrote:

> In the South, stuffing is made with bread, dressing is made with cornbread.
> Dressing is the more popular.

Hm.... my Southern family members tend to use both terms "dressing" and
"stuffing" interchangeably for no particular reasons. I've spent many,
many holidays 'way' down South in AL/FL, and I can't recall anyone ever
using any cornbread for their dressings/stuffings. Usually, the
store-bought Pepperidge Farm seasoned bread cubes were used, along with
other seasonings and ingredients.

Sky, who's cared much for most dressings/stuffings

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 15:26:49 -0600, "Kody"
> wrote:

> This is an interesting map concerning the subject:
> http://www.butterball.com/how-tos/stuffing-vs-dressing

Knowing that the accent of the area of the state I was brought up in
defies state boarders, it makes sense to me now that I'd call one
thing two different words and feel comfortable doing it - because we
were just an hour or so from another state that called it something
else according to that map. Back in my childhood, it was called
stuffing because it was only cooked inside the bird (we never baked it
separately). After the stuffing was taken out of the bird, it
transformed into dressing. I don't remember ever asking anyone to
please pass the stuffing.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 15:26:49 -0600, "Kody"
> > wrote:
>
>> This is an interesting map concerning the subject:
>> http://www.butterball.com/how-tos/stuffing-vs-dressing
>>

> Knowing that the accent of the area of the state I was brought up in
> defies state boarders, it makes sense to me now that I'd call one
> thing two different words and feel comfortable doing it - because we
> were just an hour or so from another state that called it something
> else according to that map. Back in my childhood, it was called
> stuffing because it was only cooked inside the bird (we never baked it
> separately). After the stuffing was taken out of the bird, it
> transformed into dressing. I don't remember ever asking anyone to
> please pass the stuffing.

I do) But I thought you never served food 'homestyle' ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 13:29:38 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

> On Monday, November 24, 2014 10:02:48 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> > On Monday, November 24, 2014 9:06:14 AM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> > >
> > > I tried serving cornbread
> > > stuffing/dressing once, but my family rebelled and I put that idea to
> > > rest.
> > >

> I would have rebelled too.
> > >

> > Post your recipe and maybe we can determine what it was your family did not like about cornbread dressing.

> How about the simple fat that it was cornbread.

That's what it all boiled down to. There are some traditions you just
can't mess with and the type of bread used to make stuffing is one of
them... What I add to it can vary - but the bread itself can't (as I
found out). Personally, I like cornbread stuffing - that's why I gave
it a try and I thought it tasted fine, but my family didn't want it
again. That TDay happened back before the internet developed into
what it is today, so I know I didn't use a search engine. I'm sure
the cornbread I started with was a regular back of the box recipe.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 08:56:44 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 13:29:38 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> > wrote:

> >I would have rebelled too.
> >> >
> >> Post your recipe and maybe we can determine what it was your family did not like about cornbread dressing.

> >How about the simple fat that it was cornbread.

> Cornbread's a fat?

I understood.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 11:26:54 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message

> > I don't remember ever asking anyone to
> > please pass the stuffing.

> I do) But I thought you never served food 'homestyle' ;-)

In case you missed it... that was back when I was a kid. It's a
ridiculous practice, but I didn't have any say in it back then.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.