Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Storing spices?

Went to COSTCO and as I had run out of bay leaves, and the price was
good, picked up a containor of McCormicks . Now I have more bay then I
can use in three years.

Best way to store? How long do you think it would last once the
containor is opened? - Mike
Posted to rec.food.cooking

mhorowit wrote:

>Went to COSTCO and as I had run out of bay leaves, and the price was
>good, picked up a containor of McCormicks . Now I have more bay then I
>can use in three years.
>
>Best way to store? How lo

What size container? About ten years ago I bought a full pound of bay
leaves from Penzey, little did I realize how many bay leaves are in a
pound, gotta be thousands, the bag was the size of a pillow. I gave a
lot away, the rest went into my freezer except for a small jar in my
pantry. Ten years later I still have a lot left, and I use bay leaves
for many dishes. Wrapped well whole spices will keep many years in
your freezer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 23, 2014 8:28:53 AM UTC-5, Mike wrote:
> Went to COSTCO and as I had run out of bay leaves, and the price was
> good, picked up a containor of McCormicks . Now I have more bay then I
> can use in three years.
>
> Best way to store? How long do you think it would last once the
> containor is opened? - Mike

Three years? Ha - I think I've been on the same small bag of Penzey bay leaves for probably a decade. I wouldn't worry - but if you think they've lost their oomph, just use two or more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 13:33:02 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

> I wouldn't worry - but if you think they've lost their oomph, just use two or more.

Exactly!

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 08:28:53 -0500, wrote:

> Best way to store? How long do you think it would last once the
> containor is opened? - Mike

From the McCormick FAQ:

What is the shelf life of McCormick® Products?

The shelf life listed below is approximate and only applicable if stored
properly. It is best to follow the "Best By" dates on the products.

If your product does not have a "Best By" date it is beyond our
recommended shelf life.

General Shelf Life
€¢ Ground Spices - 2 to 4 years
€¢ Whole Spices - 4 years
€¢ Leafy Herbs - 1 to 3 years
€¢ Bottled Seasoning Blends - 1 to 2 years
€¢ Extracts & Food Colors - 4 years
€¢ Recipe Mixes (gravy, taco, etc.) - 2 years
€¢ Marinades and Sauces - 12 to 24 months
€¢ Seafood Box Mixes - 18 to 24 months

Proper Storage Tips
€¢ Store herbs and spices in a tightly capped container.
€¢ Keep spices and herbs away from heat, moisture and direct sunlight.
Avoid storing over the stove, dishwasher, sink or near a window.
€¢ Store members of the red pepper family, including paprika and chili
powder, in the refrigerator to retain their color and freshness.
€¢ McCormick does not recommend freezing as freezing does not extend the
shelf life of dried herbs and spices. Repeatedly removing the bottles
from the freezer may cause condensation to form and accelerate the loss
of flavor and aroma.

--

-Jeff B.

"Excuse me.
I don't mean to impose,
but I am the Ocean."

~ The Salton Sea
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 07:32:23 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> True enough but as someone else mentioned, when it comes to bay leaves
> if they lose some potency just use more.

I was going to mention that, but I figured you'd remember.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yeff wrote:
wrote:

>> Best way to store? How long do you think it would last once the
>> containor is opened? - Mike

>From the McCormick FAQ:

Without supplying the URL your post is bogus... you need to let folks
read for themselves directly from the site, not read your edited
gibberish.

When properly stored whole spices will keep indefinitely. Ground
spices when kept at room temperature keep well for about a year, when
frozen can keep ten years and longer. Dried herbs will keep about six
months at room temperature but will keep many years frozen. Freezing
causes no harm from condensation because the frozen spices are ones
bulk supply and only opened occasionally and very briefly to fill ones
small in-use container. A pound of peppercorns properly wrapped will
keep many, many times longer frozen than a steak.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

if it still has aroma, or smells ok, I will use it
[it's better than no herb/spice]

some the one dollar stores have bay leaves, as well as other herbs & spices

marc
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yeah, about that. **** off.

--

-Jeff B.

"Excuse me.
I don't mean to impose,
but I am the Ocean."

~ The Salton Sea
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 11:42:27 -0500, Yeff > wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 10:38:03 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
> >>From the McCormick FAQ:

> > Without supplying the URL your post is bogus... you need to let folks
> > read for themselves directly from the site, not read your edited
> > gibberish.

> Yeah, about that. **** off.

It was hard for me to find too. Finally found the URL when I copied
the title and pasted it into google. He should try it sometime.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> GUEST wrote:
> Went to COSTCO and as I had run out of bay leaves, and the price

was
> good, picked up a containor of McCormicks . Now I have more bay

then I
> can use in three years.
>
> Best way to store? How long do you think it would last once the
> containor is opened? - Mike

THANKS!

storing herb/spices in the refrigerator sf[_9_] General Cooking 63 26-11-2013 01:00 AM
Storing spices Zz Yzx General Cooking 21 01-12-2011 12:48 AM
storing spices Zz Yzx Barbecue 10 26-11-2011 09:16 PM
storing herbs and spices cathy General Cooking 4 27-10-2006 12:06 PM
storing fruits, vegatables, spices ginok General Cooking 0 28-05-2004 06:49 PM