Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thanksgiving turkey no more

On 2014-11-23 11:54 AM, George Leppla wrote:

>> As I mentioned up-thread, why not remove the legs before roasting and
>> freeze them. You then have the makings of a couple of stews during the
>> winter.
>> Graham

> Because the legs are my favorite part to eat on Thanksgiving day. I am
> a leg man! <vbg>

Me two. One year we had my brother and his family... him, his wife,
oldest son, younger son with wife and child. Only one son wanted white
meat. The rest wanted dark. My wife and I also prefer dark. I should
have bought a bunch of legs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2014 10:15 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Their chart suggests 10-12 lb for 4-6 people and 12-15 lb for 8-10.
> That allows for leftovers. We had a about 12.5 for 7, so right in the
> ball park. There was lots of meat for dinner and there were enough
> leftovers.

I have a 10+ pounder defrosting in the fridge right now. We are 5 adults
and one child. The child will eat chicken nuggets and mashed potatoes.
Son and family leave for home early Friday AM so I don't want a lot of
leftovers.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 23, 2014 6:12:16 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> On 23/11/2014 8:39 AM, George Leppla wrote:

> >> I cannot provide proof, but one of the best cooks I've ever met --my
> >> late MIL-- always sed the skeleton of commercial turkeys is pretty
> >> much the same
> >> weight up to about 14 lbs, then the meat becomes the deciding weight
> >> factor. So, always buy a turkey over 14 lbs. I have no idea if she
> >> was right, but she consistantly turned out the best T-Day dinner I've
> >> ever tasted.

> > Just the two of us but we always buy a big turkey (usually 20 +/-
> > pounds) Aside from the usual leftovers, we portion and freeze a lot of
> > the meat and make stock from the carcase.
> >
> > The going price for turkey here was 57 cents a pound and that is cheap
> > protein.
> >
> > FWIW - on Thanksgiving Day, we are going to a family event. Lots of
> > people, kids, laughing and noise... a good time. But on Friday, Becca
> > and I will make our own turkey dinner. I like to celebrate Thanksgiving
> > quietly, without the big social gathering. We have a lot to be thankful
> > for this year.
> >
> > George L

> As I mentioned up-thread, why not remove the legs before roasting and
> freeze them. You then have the makings of a couple of stews during the
> winter.
> Graham

Why not remove the legs and then roast them with the turkey and then freeze them? It's like getting a turkey leg roasted for free. Free is good!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 23, 2014 7:47:56 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "graham" > wrote in message

> >> Those damned birds seem to last forever.

> > That's because some people think they must buy a 25lb bird for a family of
> > 4. I used to look for a 6-7lb specimen and still there was too much left
> > over.

> I am not keen on turkey so I always buy a turkey crown. Plenty for him and
> plenty of leftovers too)
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

I had to Google "turkey crown." We say "turkey breast roast" over here but I like "turkey crown" better cause I try to avoid using the "b" word if I can help it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/11/2014 12:43 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, November 23, 2014 6:12:16 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:

>>> Just the two of us but we always buy a big turkey (usually 20 +/-
>>> pounds) Aside from the usual leftovers, we portion and freeze a lot of
>>> the meat and make stock from the carcase.
>>>
>>> The going price for turkey here was 57 cents a pound and that is cheap
>>> protein.
>>>
>>> FWIW - on Thanksgiving Day, we are going to a family event. Lots of
>>> people, kids, laughing and noise... a good time. But on Friday, Becca
>>> and I will make our own turkey dinner. I like to celebrate Thanksgiving
>>> quietly, without the big social gathering. We have a lot to be thankful
>>> for this year.
>>>
>>> George L

>> As I mentioned up-thread, why not remove the legs before roasting and
>> freeze them. You then have the makings of a couple of stews during the
>> winter.
>> Graham

> Why not remove the legs and then roast them with the turkey and then freeze them? It's like getting a turkey leg roasted for free. Free is good!

But then it wouldn't be good in a stew. Re-heated meat never is!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 14:24:07 -0800, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> Yep, pork roast for me this year. I will brine and stuff it. Chrismas
>> is
>> always standing rib roast.

> But you have no one to share them with, Paul.

Drunk again, asshole? I don't but 150.00 aged Angus prime rib roasts for
myself like some of us do.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2014 9:54 AM, graham wrote:
> On 23/11/2014 12:43 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> As I mentioned up-thread, why not remove the legs before roasting and
>>> freeze them. You then have the makings of a couple of stews during the
>>> winter.
>>> Graham

>> Why not remove the legs and then roast them with the turkey and then
>> freeze them? It's like getting a turkey leg roasted for free. Free is
>> good!
>>

> But then it wouldn't be good in a stew. Re-heated meat never is!
> Graham

Well, you're the turkey stew expert!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/11/2014 1:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 11/23/2014 9:54 AM, graham wrote:

>>> Why not remove the legs and then roast them with the turkey and then
>>> freeze them? It's like getting a turkey leg roasted for free. Free is
>>> good!
>>>

>> But then it wouldn't be good in a stew. Re-heated meat never is!
>> Graham

> Well, you're the turkey stew expert!

Whatever!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2014 10:40 AM, graham wrote:
> Whatever!

I've never made turkey stew so I guess that makes you an expert. Accept
it with grace.

I have made chicken and turkey soup from roasted birds and it comes out
just spiffy. Although, it's never from frozen, cooked, birds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 14:24:07 -0800, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>>
>>> Yep, pork roast for me this year. I will brine and stuff it. Chrismas
>>> is
>>> always standing rib roast.

>> But you have no one to share them with, Paul.

> Drunk again, asshole? I don't but 150.00 aged Angus prime rib roasts for
> myself like some of us do.

Or eat them all at once ... ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, November 23, 2014 7:47:56 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> > That's because some people think they must buy a 25lb bird for a family
>> > of
>> > 4. I used to look for a 6-7lb specimen and still there was too much
>> > left
>> > over.

>> I am not keen on turkey so I always buy a turkey crown. Plenty for him
>> and
>> plenty of leftovers too)
>>

> I had to Google "turkey crown." We say "turkey breast roast" over here but
> I like "turkey crown" better cause I try to avoid using the "b" word if I
> can help it.

;p

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

>>> But you have no one to share them with, Paul.

>> Drunk again, asshole? I don't but 150.00 aged Angus prime rib roasts for
>> myself like some of us do.
>>

> Or eat them all at once ... ;-)

Not much left over. It does make some very expensive beef hash the next
day. I get a four bone roast. That way everyone gets a slice cooked the
way they want it from well done to very medium rare.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 12:09:41 -0800, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>>> But you have no one to share them with, Paul.

>> Drunk again, asshole? I don't but 150.00 aged Angus prime rib roasts for
>> myself like some of us do.

> Most I've ever paid was $76 for a rib roast (9.6 lbs at $7.99/lb).
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/
>
> And I don't think I've ever bought a Prime rib roast, only steaks.
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/

This is special order stuff from a small ranch in Texas. It is typically
16-18 bucks a pound and worth every penny. You can keep your Kroger beef.
Nothing compares to what I am talking about. Dry aging is the only way to
go.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> Drunk again, asshole? I don't but 150.00 aged Angus prime rib roasts
>>> for
>>> myself like some of us do.
>>>

>> Or eat them all at once ... ;-)
>>

> Not much left over. It does make some very expensive beef hash the next
> day. I get a four bone roast. That way everyone gets a slice cooked the
> way they want it from well done to very medium rare.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/11/2014 1:52 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 11/23/2014 10:40 AM, graham wrote:
>> Whatever!

> I've never made turkey stew so I guess that makes you an expert. Accept
> it with grace.

Sorry! I thought you were being sarcastic.

> I have made chicken and turkey soup from roasted birds and it comes out
> just spiffy.

You are lucky! I've tried making soup from the carcass from cold and
when it was still very warm after the meal. I all cases I've hated the
flavour. I seem to have inherited the gene from my father that tastes a
sort of "rancid" flavour in reheated meat. I even detect it in those
little bits of pork that Chinese restaurants add to fried rice. So
leftover roasts of whatever kind are served cold with pickles or
chutneys or go into sandwiches, never into soups, curries or stews.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Graham wrote:

> As I mentioned up-thread, why not remove the legs before roasting and
> freeze them. You then have the makings of a couple of stews during the
> winter.

A Thanksgiving turkey with no legs would not look very festive, in
fact it would look quite handicapped... besides, even though he was
the ultimate turkey I don't think I'd want to eat a turkey that
reminds me of the Mick!
Happy Holiday wherever you are, Mick! LOL
http://i62.tinypic.com/2a6r1xe.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

>On Sunday, November 23, 2014 7:47:56 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> > That's because some people think they must buy a 25lb bird for a family of
>> > 4. I used to look for a 6-7lb specimen and still there was too much left
>> > over.

>> I am not keen on turkey so I always buy a turkey crown. Plenty for him and
>> plenty of leftovers too)
>>
>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

>I had to Google "turkey crown." We say "turkey breast roast"
>over here but I like "turkey crown" better cause I try to avoid
>using the "b" word if I can help it.

Huh? Are you a fruitcake?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 23, 2014 10:54:11 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message

> >> I am not keen on turkey so I always buy a turkey crown. Plenty for him
> >> and
> >> plenty of leftovers too)
> >>

> > I had to Google "turkey crown." We say "turkey breast roast" over here but
> > I like "turkey crown" better cause I try to avoid using the "b" word if I
> > can help it.

> ;p

To me, the N word is "nipple."

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 23, 2014 11:31:09 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> On 23/11/2014 1:52 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On 11/23/2014 10:40 AM, graham wrote:
> >> Whatever!

> > I've never made turkey stew so I guess that makes you an expert. Accept
> > it with grace.

> Sorry! I thought you were being sarcastic.
> >
> > I have made chicken and turkey soup from roasted birds and it comes out
> > just spiffy.

> You are lucky! I've tried making soup from the carcass from cold and
> when it was still very warm after the meal. I all cases I've hated the
> flavour. I seem to have inherited the gene from my father that tastes a
> sort of "rancid" flavour in reheated meat. I even detect it in those
> little bits of pork that Chinese restaurants add to fried rice. So
> leftover roasts of whatever kind are served cold with pickles or
> chutneys or go into sandwiches, never into soups, curries or stews.
> Graham

The leftover chicken or turkey is elevated to greater heights in a soup. Homemade soup is great - too bad few people take the time to make it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 23, 2014 12:48:25 PM UTC-10, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> >> I am not keen on turkey so I always buy a turkey crown. Plenty for him and
> >> plenty of leftovers too)
> >>
> >> --
> >> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

> >I had to Google "turkey crown." We say "turkey breast roast"
> >over here but I like "turkey crown" better cause I try to avoid
> >using the "b" word if I can help it.

> Huh? Are you a fruitcake?

It's fairly obvious that you're a closet homosexual of the worst kind - your closet is so deep it has the proportions of a needle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2014 12:09 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 14:24:07 -0800, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> Yep, pork roast for me this year. I will brine and stuff it. Chrismas is
>> always standing rib roast.

> But you have no one to share them with, Paul.
>
> -sw

http://www.hungerisunacceptable.com/...tation-057.jpg

Now what is more humiliating than that bloated whale-ass carcass.

Free Sqwerty!

Or just toss him some cheese...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2014 1:59 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> And I don't think I've ever bought a Prime rib roast

http://www.hungerisunacceptable.com/...tation-057.jpg

Now what is more humiliating than that bloated whale-ass carcass.

Free Sqwerty!

Or just toss him some cheese...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-23 4:31 PM, graham wrote:

> You are lucky! I've tried making soup from the carcass from cold and
> when it was still very warm after the meal. I all cases I've hated the
> flavour.

I would be inclined to blame it on the turkey. It has never been a
favourite soup for me.

> leftover roasts of whatever kind are served cold with pickles or
> chutneys or go into sandwiches, never into soups, curries or stews.

Leftover lamb almost always ends up in a curry here. Our son was never
a big fan of lamb. He may be part of the minority who don't like it but
will eat it, as opposed to those who either love it or ate it. He was
never crazy about roasted lamb but he was willing to have it once in a
while because he loved the curry made with the leftovers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/11/2014 4:24 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-11-23 4:31 PM, graham wrote:
>
>> You are lucky! I've tried making soup from the carcass from cold and
>> when it was still very warm after the meal. I all cases I've hated the
>> flavour.

> I would be inclined to blame it on the turkey. It has never been a
> favourite soup for me.
>

>> leftover roasts of whatever kind are served cold with pickles or
>> chutneys or go into sandwiches, never into soups, curries or stews.

> Leftover lamb almost always ends up in a curry here. Our son was never
> a big fan of lamb. He may be part of the minority who don't like it but
> will eat it, as opposed to those who either love it or ate it. He was
> never crazy about roasted lamb but he was willing to have it once in a
> while because he loved the curry made with the leftovers.

In the Uni restaurant, if they served lamb at lunchtime there was always
lamb curry for dinner. However, they left out the condiments from lunch
and if I chose the curry, I always put a dollop of mint sauce on it.
They really go well together.
Next time you make a curry, try drinking cider with it. I've found it's
another good match.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 22, 2014 5:23:49 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-11-22 2:14 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > Don't get me wrong, I don't mind doing it, I just would much
> > rather break it down into two days. And, you're right, after
> > working with all that butter and sugar, I don't even feel like
> > smelling the cookies baking.
> >

> My mother used to do her Christmas baking well in advance of the
> Christmas season. She did light and dark fruit cakes, shortbreads,
> brownies, and at at least a half dozen varieties of other cookies plus
> mince meat tarts. Everything went into the freezer and could be taken
> out an hour or two before serving.
>
> She used to have the whole family plus a few friends and extended
> family. She was always so well prepared that Christmas dinner was
> presented without any fuss or hassles.

Did she work outside the house, full time?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-22 14:49:56 +0000, Janet B said:

> I just can't face doing another turkey for a 'traditional' Thanksgiving meal.

You and me both. We're doing local seafood this year. I'm going out
the evening before to trap some crabs and maybe I'll catch a salmon or
some surf perch. If I don't manage to, I'll buy a whole tuna off the
docks or maybe a ling.

It's hard to find a turkey that hasn't been marinated in scummy bleach
water anyway. If poultry says "Contains up to <<insert any number>>%
retained water" it's not fit to eat IMHO.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-23 19:06, Kalmia wrote:

>> She used to have the whole family plus a few friends and extended
>> family. She was always so well prepared that Christmas dinner was
>> presented without any fuss or hassles.

> Did she work outside the house, full time?

She would never have used the term "work outside of the house", but when
we were young she worked at a couple seasonal jobs to make some extra
money for Christmas presents or summer camp.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> <g> at last 'her' holiday begins ... ) I can relate to much of that as
> bet most mothers can))
>
> Thanks, Cheri, that gave me a good giggle ))

Yes, it always makes me laugh because some of it, not all certainly, but
some relates to just about everyone I know, including me. :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> I am not keen on turkey so I always buy a turkey crown. Plenty for him
> and
> plenty of leftovers too)

Raising turkeys and chickens for sale, hundreds of them at a time when I was
a kid, makes turkey less than stellar for me since we had it so often. I'm
OK with it a couple of times a year, but I do like turkey sandwiches with
cranberry sauce. DH loves it, and I do like the soup made from the carcass
as well.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message news:b7152fd4-90d8-4bb3-b6e2-

> I had to Google "turkey crown." We say "turkey breast roast" over here but
> I like "turkey crown" better cause I try to avoid using the "b" word if I
> can help it.

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:
>dsi1 wrote:
>
>> I had to Google "turkey crown." We say "turkey breast roast" over here but
>> I like "turkey crown" better cause I try to avoid using the "b" word if I
>> can help it.

>LOL

I have no problem with Bazooms. hehe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 09:29:23 -0700, Janet B wrote:
>
>> I used to do that . . . make all the batches of cookie dough and then
>> have a bake day. I think that's really the best way to go. Of course,
>> by the end of the day you can't stand the smell of anything sweet.
>> Janet US

> By the time I have planned, shopped, cooked, and tasted for Thanksgiving,
> I feel like I have already had my meal. I pick at my official
> Thanksgiving plate, but I am all about the leftovers.

I used to bake tons of cookies and make lots of candy. I often ate none at
all. I might taste a filling to make sure that it was good. If I did eat
any, they were only the ones that didn't look perfect and there were rarely
any of those.

I would get the same way with sewing and crocheting. Even jewelry making.
I would spend so much time on something that I just got kind of sick of it
and then didn't want to wear it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 14:24:07 -0800, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>>
>>> Yep, pork roast for me this year. I will brine and stuff it. Chrismas
>>> is
>>> always standing rib roast.

>> But you have no one to share them with, Paul.

> Drunk again, asshole? I don't but 150.00 aged Angus prime rib roasts for
> myself like some of us do.

Who does that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>>> Drunk again, asshole? I don't but 150.00 aged Angus prime rib roasts
>>> for
>>> myself like some of us do.

>> Most I've ever paid was $76 for a rib roast (9.6 lbs at $7.99/lb).
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/
>>
>> And I don't think I've ever bought a Prime rib roast, only steaks.
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/

> This is special order stuff from a small ranch in Texas. It is typically
> 16-18 bucks a pound and worth every penny. You can keep your Kroger beef.
> Nothing compares to what I am talking about. Dry aging is the only way to
> go.

Can you buy it online?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message

>>> I sure don't mind turkey leftovers, and I also find leftover
>>> pork roast a little challenging.

>>> Looking back, I wonder how my mother stretched leftover turkey
>>> to feed a family of 6 for what seemed like weeks. Enough
>>> with the turkey already!

>> Those damned birds seem to last forever.

> That's because some people think they must buy a 25lb bird for a family of
> 4. I used to look for a 6-7lb specimen and still there was too much left
> over.
> Graham

Quite often it is a free one. I haven't seen any recently but many of the
stores here used to do a points thing with your loyalty card and you could
get a free one if you got enough points by a certain time. Sometimes they
would even include enough other things like potatoes and rolls to make a
pretty complete dinner. One store offered you the choice of a ham or a
frozen lasagna if you didn't want the turkey. But they were always huge
ones.

I also know that many small business owners would get big turkeys as gifts.
My MIL used to get so many this time of year that she would cook one per
week and invite everyone she knew over to eat just to get rid of it.

My parents used to really burn me out on the stuff and they didn't even cook
one every year. The traditional Thanksgiving meal was my brother's favorite
meal. So he liked that but I don't think either of us cared for all of the
other stuff that was made of it.

We usually ate the big meal around 2:00 p.m. I think mainly because no
matter what time the meal was intended for, at least one thing would take
too long to cook and that was as good as we'd get. Then when dinner time
rolled around, it was cold sandwiches on whatever rolls we had because they
didn't keep bread in the house. Perhaps some raw veggies.

But from then on? Turkey soup and turkey salad with grapes and walnuts for
days on end.

They also stuck just plain cooked turkey in the freezer and we'd have it
again for Christmas.

The only problem was that all of the males in my family except for my dad
loved the legs. There were never enough of those and many years we were
hard pressed to find any extra anywhere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 16:23:20 -0700, graham > wrote:

>> > Those damned birds seem to last forever.

>> That's because some people think they must buy a 25lb bird for a family
>> of 4. I used to look for a 6-7lb specimen and still there was too much
>> left over.

> Whatever happened to those turkey rolls that were both light and dark
> meat? I only see white meat, it I see them at all.

I don't think they've been around for years. I thought I saw them today at
Winco but it was turducken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> sf wrote:
>>
>> Whatever happened to those turkey rolls that were both light and dark
>> meat? I only see white meat, it I see them at all.

> Is this what you are talking about?
> - found in the freezer section
> - came in a foil pan with a cardboard top crimped into the foil?
>
> If so, I absolutely *loved* those when I was in my 20's. They were a
> real treat to me.

I hated them. We had them often at home. The meat had a weird texture to
me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>My wife always used to insist on 16 pounds or more. This year I was
>>adamant that it not be more than 12 pounds. That was more than enough
>>for 7 adults and we had enough leftovers for two dinners and a number of
>>sandwiches.

> Y'all must be very small turkey eaters or all on diets... after
> roasting there's barely 5 pounds of edible meat on a 12 pound
> turkey... 7 adults should polish that off easily with nothing left
> over... most healthy adults can easily consume a pound of turkey meat.
> During the year I roast a 6-7 pound oven-stuffer chicken for four
> adults... I cut the bird into eighths for roasting... each gets two
> pieces and it's all gone. Poultry doesn't yield a lot of meat and the
> larger the bird the greater the waste to meat ratio. With turkeys two
> 12 pound hens yield more meat than one 24 pound tom. Your wife knows
> more about cooking, she's right to have a 16 pound turkey for seven
> adults if you want any left overs.
> http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/577075

Most adults could eat a pound of turkey meat? I don't think so. Since I
prefer vegetables, I fill up on those and only eat a few bites of turkey.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> [...]

> mother. (I've always wondered why feminists fail to include "celebration
> management" in their lists of complaints against men--it's a far bigger
> and
> more exhausting task than loading the dishwasher.) Beginning weeks in
> advance, the mother must coordinate the arrival of relatives, tally
> supplies, and review the timing of events again and again. She must shop
> and
> re-shop until she is certain the allotment of all the presents is "fair."
> Children possess the gimlet eye of a gangster's moll. They know exactly
> how
> much a gift costs and whether their brothers or sisters have received
> something "better." You may complain all you like about the "materialism
> ruining the spirit of the holiday." It is the mother who knows: Without
> gift
> parity there can be no family harmony.
>
> Even after the tree is decorated and the egg nog poured, the mother can't
> relax. Every few moments she must jump up to check the turkey or prevent
> the
> Lab from eating the candy canes on the low-hanging branches. The phone
> rings
> with news of sick or late-arriving guests; plans are regrouped, chairs
> added
> or removed from the table. Someone is dispatched to the 24-hour 7/11 for
> tinned cranberry sauce because somehow--can you believe it?--Mom forgot to
> make cranberry sauce.
>
> All these worries are supposed to be put aside for church service on
> Christmas Eve or day. Here--at last!--is the "soul" of the holiday. Or so
> you hope. Maybe the priest has decided to preach at extra length about
> global warming. At my family's church, the minister used to take peculiar
> pleasure in making us sing unpopular carols--as if avoiding the popular
> ones
> was somehow more "improving." The congregation would mumble grumpily
> through
> the unfamiliar tunes. Our "short" Christmas Eve service would last well
> past
> midnight. By then, we children would be clawing at my mother's nylons:
> What
> if we'd MISSED Santa??
>
> Finally comes the great morning itself. Months of work are consumed in
> about
> eight minutes. A carnage of gift wrapping glitters across the carpet. The
> children, ungrateful little beasts, immediately declare they're "bored."
> The
> turkey is, like, 72 hours away. Dad is crumpled into the corner of the
> sofa
> in an improbable sweater. Mom's exhausted--bleary-eyed from staying up
> until
> 1 a.m. to wrap the last presents, fill the stockings, and ensure the
> turkey
> was ready to be placed in the oven at 7 a.m. She declares the holiday

Yes! I get sooo tired of being told that I did nothing. Somehow those
presents just appeared under the tree, all wrapped and stuff.

I did not do the Christmas ball last year and I won't this year. That took
up a lot of my time but the family celebrations just aren't the same with my
dad gone. And everyone is so busy with other things. I still have some
Christmas Crackers left from last year. They should be fine unless they
have gum or candy in them.

I no longer knock myself out with cooking either. Nobody in this house
appreciates it. I have no clue what I will make for Christmas dinner but it
will likely be what we normally eat and maybe I'll just buy a pie or
something. I don't even wrap presents any more. I use gift bags. And I
don't go all out with the decorating either. Just too much work and too
little reward.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>
>> I am not keen on turkey so I always buy a turkey crown. Plenty for him
>> and
>> plenty of leftovers too)

> Raising turkeys and chickens for sale, hundreds of them at a time when I
> was a kid, makes turkey less than stellar for me since we had it so often.
> I'm OK with it a couple of times a year, but I do like turkey sandwiches
> with cranberry sauce. DH loves it, and I do like the soup made from the
> carcass as well.

I will eat it if given it but I prefer not. He doesn't like the legs which
is why I buy the crown and he will eat it any way I make it He loves it
with cranberry sauce too

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Why do we eat turkey on Thanksgiving? [email protected] General Cooking 7 23-11-2012 03:46 AM
Thanksgiving Turkey Dave Bugg Barbecue 6 04-12-2007 02:37 AM
Another Thanksgiving Turkey Dave Bugg General Cooking 8 26-11-2006 08:09 AM
OT...Fun..Turkey for Thanksgiving !!..... Bigbazza General Cooking 2 21-11-2005 01:00 AM
a message from a turkey on thanksgiving cashier of cinema General Cooking 4 26-11-2004 09:52 PM