Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default White Batter Bread

I just made half of this recipe. Why do so many bread recipes make two
loaves? It would be rare for me to need two loaves at once. Anyway...
This worked very well! I used the new mixer with the dough hooks and my
largest, old glass mixing bowl. Could have used a larger bowl but the new
set will come tomorrow. Will try the whole wheat recipe again with the
mixer. The rise on the white is perfect and even better than the other
whole wheat recipe I have been using that requires two mixings and a
proofing. I can get this bread done much faster!

http://redstaryeast.com/americas-favorite-batter-bread/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JohnJohn" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:57:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I just made half of this recipe. Why do so many bread recipes make two
>>loaves? It would be rare for me to need two loaves at once.

> We always put one in the freezer, assuming it's not full.

I can't see the point in that. I haven't got freezer space for a whole loaf
and I hate bread once it has been frozen. It's okay for toast but not for
eating fresh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:57:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I just made half of this recipe. Why do so many bread recipes make two
>loaves? It would be rare for me to need two loaves at once.

Probably because making bread is a fair amount of work, and it's not
an efficient use of your time to just make one at a time.

Also, hmemade bread tends to disappear fairly quickly.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 04:45:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"JohnJohn" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:57:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I just made half of this recipe. Why do so many bread recipes make two
>>>loaves? It would be rare for me to need two loaves at once.

>> We always put one in the freezer, assuming it's not full.

>I can't see the point in that. I haven't got freezer space for a whole loaf
>and I hate bread once it has been frozen. It's okay for toast but not for
>eating fresh.

Give one loaf to someone as a gift... it's silly to light an oven for
one measly loaf... use half the dough to make rolls.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:57:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I just made half of this recipe. Why do so many bread recipes make two
>>loaves? It would be rare for me to need two loaves at once.

> Probably because making bread is a fair amount of work, and it's not
> an efficient use of your time to just make one at a time.

It is for me because I won't freeze the remaining loaves.

> Also, hmemade bread tends to disappear fairly quickly.

Not in this house. We are not big bread eaters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 04:45:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"JohnJohn" > wrote in message
>>news
>>> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:57:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> We always put one in the freezer, assuming it's not full.

>>I can't see the point in that. I haven't got freezer space for a whole
>>loaf
>>and I hate bread once it has been frozen. It's okay for toast but not for
>>eating fresh.

> Give one loaf to someone as a gift... it's silly to light an oven for
> one measly loaf... use half the dough to make rolls.

No thanks. I'm not going out and buying another pan or having to find
someone to give it to. We also don't eat rolls. Nor would batter bread
work well for rolls.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JohnJohn" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 04:45:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"JohnJohn" > wrote in message
>>news
>>> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:57:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> We always put one in the freezer, assuming it's not full.

>>I can't see the point in that. I haven't got freezer space for a whole
>>loaf
>>and I hate bread once it has been frozen. It's okay for toast but not for
>>eating fresh.

> I'd prefer a homemade bread that has been frozen over a supermarket
> bread that hasn't.

I never buy supermarket bread. I had been buying some from a local bakery
but I like mine a lot better!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 31, 2014 6:04:31 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 04:45:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>"JohnJohn" > wrote in message
> >>news > >>> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:57:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"

> >>I can't see the point in that. I haven't got freezer space for a whole
> >>loaf
> >>and I hate bread once it has been frozen. It's okay for toast but not for
> >>eating fresh.

> > Give one loaf to someone as a gift... it's silly to light an oven for
> > one measly loaf... use half the dough to make rolls.

> No thanks. I'm not going out and buying another pan or having to find
> someone to give it to. We also don't eat rolls. Nor would batter bread
> work well for rolls.

You don't eat rolls? Why everyone in America eats rolls. What is a hotdog bun?...but a "roll". Anyway, You have to be kidding on that one.
===
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/31/2014 11:21 AM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:57:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I just made half of this recipe. Why do so many bread recipes make two
>> loaves? It would be rare for me to need two loaves at once.

> Probably because making bread is a fair amount of work, and it's not
> an efficient use of your time to just make one at a time.
>
> Also, hmemade bread tends to disappear fairly quickly.
>
> Doris

Julie asks, why do so many recipes make two loaves? She doesn't seem to
grasp the fact that people used to bake bread to feed their *family*.
They weren't baking bread on a whim. Both of my grandmothers baked more
than 2 loaves in a day, let alone a week.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Friday, October 31, 2014 6:04:31 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>> > On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 04:45:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > Give one loaf to someone as a gift... it's silly to light an oven for
>> > one measly loaf... use half the dough to make rolls.

>> No thanks. I'm not going out and buying another pan or having to find
>> someone to give it to. We also don't eat rolls. Nor would batter bread
>> work well for rolls.

> You don't eat rolls? Why everyone in America eats rolls. What is a hotdog
> bun?...but a "roll". Anyway, You have to be kidding on that one.
> ===

Nope. Not kidding. Don't eat hot dogs either. I grew up in a house where
we mainly only ever ate bread on road trips. Cold meatloaf sandwiches.
Perhaps once or twice a year, usually on the 4th of July, my dad might make
hamburgers that we ate on buns. We ate hamburger patties all the time. No
buns. My mom sometimes made hot dogs. No buns either. She liked them. I
wouldn't eat them. We did have a package of those awful brown and serve
rolls on holidays if we ate at home but we often went out to eat. My mom
thought that bread and bread products were bad for us and would make us fat.
My dad did eat Roman Meal bread. He took sandwiches to work. I don't
remember ever being given any of that to eat.

Other than that, we bought our loaves three at a time, perhaps once or twice
a year at U Market. It was one of those cut rate places where you took a
grease pencil when you entered the store and wrote the prices on your
products then put them on a flat bed cart. No bags. You took stuff home in
boxes or brought your own bags. We only bought when on sale and I think in
those days they were 3/$1. It was really cheap, no brand stuff. Two white
and one wheat. They went into the freezer which fueled my hate for frozen
bread. Perhaps once a month my mom would allow me to bring my lunch to
school and often it was a sandwich.

My husband did grow up eating bread, but how often? I don't know. I don't
recall his mom ever putting bread or rolls on the table with meals. They're
Italian. She did make bread salad which he refused to eat because it was
food of the poor. She often made soup, pasta dishes, eggplant Parm., pizza.
Lunches were either eggs and peppers on Italian bread or some kind of meat
salad on rolls. Her sister worked at a bakery and there was a discount
bread store near their house so they always had a lot of bread products but
they weren't necessarily fresh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 10/31/2014 11:21 AM, Doris Night wrote:
>> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:57:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I just made half of this recipe. Why do so many bread recipes make two
>>> loaves? It would be rare for me to need two loaves at once.

>> Probably because making bread is a fair amount of work, and it's not
>> an efficient use of your time to just make one at a time.
>>
>> Also, hmemade bread tends to disappear fairly quickly.
>>
>> Doris
>>

> Julie asks, why do so many recipes make two loaves? She doesn't seem to
> grasp the fact that people used to bake bread to feed their *family*. They
> weren't baking bread on a whim. Both of my grandmothers baked more than 2
> loaves in a day, let alone a week.

Sure, I know that they used to. But that was then, this is now. I see newly
composed recipes posted for two loaves. Then again perhaps those who
concoct the recipes have large families? Bread machine recipes generally
only make one loaf. My cousin once invited us over to lunch. And what was
lunch? Sandwiches. Imagine our surprise when we saw three bread makers
going as we entered the kitchen. Yep! They made three different kinds of
bread so we had a choice of what we ate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:57:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 10/31/2014 11:21 AM, Doris Night wrote:
>>> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:57:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Probably because making bread is a fair amount of work, and it's not
>>> an efficient use of your time to just make one at a time.
>>>
>>> Also, hmemade bread tends to disappear fairly quickly.
>>>
>>> Doris
>>>

>> Julie asks, why do so many recipes make two loaves? She doesn't seem to
>> grasp the fact that people used to bake bread to feed their *family*. They
>> weren't baking bread on a whim. Both of my grandmothers baked more than 2
>> loaves in a day, let alone a week.
>>

>Sure, I know that they used to. But that was then, this is now.

Yes. In Bothell, Washington. The rest of the world may be a little
different, and do odd things like bake two loaves of bread at one
time.

>I see newly
>composed recipes posted for two loaves. Then again perhaps those who
>concoct the recipes have large families?

Or perhaps they don't have an issue with freezing one. Or perhaps they
want to save electricity and get the most bang for their buck with the
oven heat. Or perhaps they just eat more bread than you do.

Christ, Julie, just cut the recipe in half like a normal person would.
It's not that difficult.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:57:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> Julie asks, why do so many recipes make two loaves? She doesn't seem to
>>> grasp the fact that people used to bake bread to feed their *family*.
>>> They
>>> weren't baking bread on a whim. Both of my grandmothers baked more than
>>> 2
>>> loaves in a day, let alone a week.
>>>

>>Sure, I know that they used to. But that was then, this is now.

> Yes. In Bothell, Washington. The rest of the world may be a little
> different, and do odd things like bake two loaves of bread at one
> time.
>
>>I see newly
>>composed recipes posted for two loaves. Then again perhaps those who
>>concoct the recipes have large families?

> Or perhaps they don't have an issue with freezing one. Or perhaps they
> want to save electricity and get the most bang for their buck with the
> oven heat. Or perhaps they just eat more bread than you do.
>
> Christ, Julie, just cut the recipe in half like a normal person would.
> It's not that difficult.

Well, Christ, Doris! I never said that it was! Just making a comment.

Batter bread, not quite right Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 8 29-09-2014 10:55 AM
Batter bread with no egg or milk! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 29 14-09-2014 06:46 PM
Amaranth Batter Bread Faith C Recipes (moderated) 0 12-09-2006 04:25 AM
White Batter Bread Tim Recipes 0 24-06-2005 11:20 AM
English Muffin Batter Bread Tim Recipes 0 13-06-2005 01:27 PM