Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Whole Wheat Bread Flour

My CSA had this on sale so I bought a small bag but now I can't find a
single recipe that calls for it! All of the recipes that take bread flour
use regular bread flour and then if they are a whole wheat bread, additional
whole wheat flour. Does anyone have any recipes that use this? I would
even be willing to make something with eggs and milk in it for my husband
and daughter if it would use up the flour. I could use the cupboard space!
Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 23:08:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>My CSA had this on sale so I bought a small bag but now I can't find a
>single recipe that calls for it! All of the recipes that take bread flour
>use regular bread flour and then if they are a whole wheat bread, additional
>whole wheat flour. Does anyone have any recipes that use this? I would
>even be willing to make something with eggs and milk in it for my husband
>and daughter if it would use up the flour. I could use the cupboard space!
>Thanks!

Very common. There are not that many recipes for whole wheat bread
that are made solely with whole wheat bread flour. A recipe for
whole wheat bread that uses only whole wheat bread flour tends to be
very dense and sticky/tricky to knead.. Recipes will call for a
combination of whole wheat bread flour and white bread flour to
overcome the problems. Also, most people do not care for the taste of
bread made only with whole wheat flour. You can find recipes for
oatmeal, rye bread and others that also use whole wheat flour in
combination.
When talking about baking bread, it is understood that you mean whole
wheat bread flour.
It would not be a good idea to try to make cookies or similar with
whole wheat bread flour as it will make them tough. It is understood
that when making something other than bread, you are going to use
whole wheat PASTRY flour. Check Winco bulk bins and you will see both
are available there. I believe that the supplier for the bulk bins is
Bob's Red Mill.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 08:00:58 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 23:08:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>
>>My CSA had this on sale so I bought a small bag but now I can't find a
>>single recipe that calls for it! All of the recipes that take bread flour
>>use regular bread flour and then if they are a whole wheat bread, additional
>>whole wheat flour. Does anyone have any recipes that use this? I would
>>even be willing to make something with eggs and milk in it for my husband
>>and daughter if it would use up the flour. I could use the cupboard space!
>>Thanks!

>Very common. There are not that many recipes for whole wheat bread
>that are made solely with whole wheat bread flour. A recipe for
>whole wheat bread that uses only whole wheat bread flour tends to be
>very dense and sticky/tricky to knead.. Recipes will call for a
>combination of whole wheat bread flour and white bread flour to
>overcome the problems. Also, most people do not care for the taste of
>bread made only with whole wheat flour. You can find recipes for
>oatmeal, rye bread and others that also use whole wheat flour in
>combination.
>When talking about baking bread, it is understood that you mean whole
>wheat bread flour.
>It would not be a good idea to try to make cookies or similar with
>whole wheat bread flour as it will make them tough. It is understood
>that when making something other than bread, you are going to use
>whole wheat PASTRY flour. Check Winco bulk bins and you will see both
>are available there. I believe that the supplier for the bulk bins is
>Bob's Red Mill.
>Janet US

Pretty much need to add about 5% white flour to get whole wheat to
rise properly. I use my ABM to bake whole wheat bread with honey.
100% whole wheat flour is nice for baking various muffins; carrot,
zuchinni, raisin... add dates & nuts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 31, 2014 2:09:31 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> My CSA had this on sale so I bought a small bag but now I can't find a
> single recipe that calls for it! All of the recipes that take bread flour
> use regular bread flour and then if they are a whole wheat bread, additional
> whole wheat flour. Does anyone have any recipes that use this? I would
> even be willing to make something with eggs and milk in it for my husband
> and daughter if it would use up the flour. I could use the cupboard space!
> Thanks!

You'd better give up on this CSA thing. You seem to have had more trouble with it than it's worth.

Or.....is this another vortex coming up?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 23:08:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>My CSA had this on sale so I bought a small bag but now I can't find a
>>single recipe that calls for it! All of the recipes that take bread flour
>>use regular bread flour and then if they are a whole wheat bread,
>>additional
>>whole wheat flour. Does anyone have any recipes that use this? I would
>>even be willing to make something with eggs and milk in it for my husband
>>and daughter if it would use up the flour. I could use the cupboard
>>space!
>>Thanks!

> Very common. There are not that many recipes for whole wheat bread
> that are made solely with whole wheat bread flour. A recipe for
> whole wheat bread that uses only whole wheat bread flour tends to be
> very dense and sticky/tricky to knead.. Recipes will call for a
> combination of whole wheat bread flour and white bread flour to
> overcome the problems. Also, most people do not care for the taste of
> bread made only with whole wheat flour. You can find recipes for
> oatmeal, rye bread and others that also use whole wheat flour in
> combination.
> When talking about baking bread, it is understood that you mean whole
> wheat bread flour.
> It would not be a good idea to try to make cookies or similar with
> whole wheat bread flour as it will make them tough. It is understood
> that when making something other than bread, you are going to use
> whole wheat PASTRY flour. Check Winco bulk bins and you will see both
> are available there. I believe that the supplier for the bulk bins is
> Bob's Red Mill.
> Janet US

I actually haven't found *any* recipes that call for whole wheat bread
flour. Only whole wheat flour and bread flour. I know about whole wheat
pastry flour. I used it up and don't intend to buy more. We just don't eat
much in the way of sweets here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 14:59:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 23:08:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>My CSA had this on sale so I bought a small bag but now I can't find a
>>>single recipe that calls for it! All of the recipes that take bread flour
>>>use regular bread flour and then if they are a whole wheat bread,
>>>additional
>>>whole wheat flour. Does anyone have any recipes that use this? I would
>>>even be willing to make something with eggs and milk in it for my husband
>>>and daughter if it would use up the flour. I could use the cupboard
>>>space!
>>>Thanks!

>> Very common. There are not that many recipes for whole wheat bread
>> that are made solely with whole wheat bread flour. A recipe for
>> whole wheat bread that uses only whole wheat bread flour tends to be
>> very dense and sticky/tricky to knead.. Recipes will call for a
>> combination of whole wheat bread flour and white bread flour to
>> overcome the problems. Also, most people do not care for the taste of
>> bread made only with whole wheat flour. You can find recipes for
>> oatmeal, rye bread and others that also use whole wheat flour in
>> combination.
>> When talking about baking bread, it is understood that you mean whole
>> wheat bread flour.
>> It would not be a good idea to try to make cookies or similar with
>> whole wheat bread flour as it will make them tough. It is understood
>> that when making something other than bread, you are going to use
>> whole wheat PASTRY flour. Check Winco bulk bins and you will see both
>> are available there. I believe that the supplier for the bulk bins is
>> Bob's Red Mill.
>> Janet US

>I actually haven't found *any* recipes that call for whole wheat bread
>flour. Only whole wheat flour and bread flour. I know about whole wheat
>pastry flour. I used it up and don't intend to buy more. We just don't eat
>much in the way of sweets here.

"Only whole wheat flour and bread flour" is whole wheat bread flour
and white bread flour.
Whole wheat flour in a bread recipe is understood to be whole wheat
bread flour. The only other option for whole wheat is whole wheat
pastry flour. . Recipes do not specifically call for Whole Wheat Bread
Flour because it is expected that everyone will know that it means the
stuff that isn't pastry flour. Whole wheat flour that isn't whole
wheat pastry flour is bread flour,.
Read it all again, slowly.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 14:59:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>news
>>> On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 23:08:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Very common. There are not that many recipes for whole wheat bread
>>> that are made solely with whole wheat bread flour. A recipe for
>>> whole wheat bread that uses only whole wheat bread flour tends to be
>>> very dense and sticky/tricky to knead.. Recipes will call for a
>>> combination of whole wheat bread flour and white bread flour to
>>> overcome the problems. Also, most people do not care for the taste of
>>> bread made only with whole wheat flour. You can find recipes for
>>> oatmeal, rye bread and others that also use whole wheat flour in
>>> combination.
>>> When talking about baking bread, it is understood that you mean whole
>>> wheat bread flour.
>>> It would not be a good idea to try to make cookies or similar with
>>> whole wheat bread flour as it will make them tough. It is understood
>>> that when making something other than bread, you are going to use
>>> whole wheat PASTRY flour. Check Winco bulk bins and you will see both
>>> are available there. I believe that the supplier for the bulk bins is
>>> Bob's Red Mill.
>>> Janet US

>>I actually haven't found *any* recipes that call for whole wheat bread
>>flour. Only whole wheat flour and bread flour. I know about whole wheat
>>pastry flour. I used it up and don't intend to buy more. We just don't
>>eat
>>much in the way of sweets here.

> "Only whole wheat flour and bread flour" is whole wheat bread flour
> and white bread flour.
> Whole wheat flour in a bread recipe is understood to be whole wheat
> bread flour. The only other option for whole wheat is whole wheat
> pastry flour. . Recipes do not specifically call for Whole Wheat Bread
> Flour because it is expected that everyone will know that it means the
> stuff that isn't pastry flour. Whole wheat flour that isn't whole
> wheat pastry flour is bread flour,.
> Read it all again, slowly.
> Janet US

No! The recipes that I see call for regular bread flour and whole wheat
flour. And it is not understood to be that because other people are asking
the same question. If they meant whole wheat bread flour and whole wheat
white flour then it would say that. The recipe I have been using
specifically calls for bread flour *and* whole wheat flour. Not the same
thing. And yes, I know that it isn't pastry flour. And neither is whole
wheat flour. Methinks you don't know what you are talking about. Whole
Wheat Pastry flour is not the same as Whole Wheat flour which also isn't the
same as Whole Wheat Bread flour.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:02:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 14:59:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>>news >>>> On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 23:08:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>>I actually haven't found *any* recipes that call for whole wheat bread
>>>flour. Only whole wheat flour and bread flour. I know about whole wheat
>>>pastry flour. I used it up and don't intend to buy more. We just don't
>>>eat
>>>much in the way of sweets here.

>> "Only whole wheat flour and bread flour" is whole wheat bread flour
>> and white bread flour.
>> Whole wheat flour in a bread recipe is understood to be whole wheat
>> bread flour. The only other option for whole wheat is whole wheat
>> pastry flour. . Recipes do not specifically call for Whole Wheat Bread
>> Flour because it is expected that everyone will know that it means the
>> stuff that isn't pastry flour. Whole wheat flour that isn't whole
>> wheat pastry flour is bread flour,.
>> Read it all again, slowly.
>> Janet US

>No! The recipes that I see call for regular bread flour and whole wheat
>flour. And it is not understood to be that because other people are asking
>the same question. If they meant whole wheat bread flour and whole wheat
>white flour then it would say that. The recipe I have been using
>specifically calls for bread flour *and* whole wheat flour. Not the same
>thing. And yes, I know that it isn't pastry flour. And neither is whole
>wheat flour. Methinks you don't know what you are talking about. Whole
>Wheat Pastry flour is not the same as Whole Wheat flour which also isn't the
>same as Whole Wheat Bread flour.

Look here
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/flours/
and then here
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...s-bread-recipe

yes, I understand the bread flour and whole wheat flour thing. I know
they are not the same thing. I can't help if you are reading comments
from others who don't understand. I'm telling you how it is. Ask
Ophelia or Graham or cshenk. You are reading what I have said
incorrectly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:02:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 14:59:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> "Only whole wheat flour and bread flour" is whole wheat bread flour
>>> and white bread flour.
>>> Whole wheat flour in a bread recipe is understood to be whole wheat
>>> bread flour. The only other option for whole wheat is whole wheat
>>> pastry flour. . Recipes do not specifically call for Whole Wheat Bread
>>> Flour because it is expected that everyone will know that it means the
>>> stuff that isn't pastry flour. Whole wheat flour that isn't whole
>>> wheat pastry flour is bread flour,.
>>> Read it all again, slowly.
>>> Janet US

>>No! The recipes that I see call for regular bread flour and whole wheat
>>flour. And it is not understood to be that because other people are
>>asking
>>the same question. If they meant whole wheat bread flour and whole wheat
>>white flour then it would say that. The recipe I have been using
>>specifically calls for bread flour *and* whole wheat flour. Not the same
>>thing. And yes, I know that it isn't pastry flour. And neither is whole
>>wheat flour. Methinks you don't know what you are talking about. Whole
>>Wheat Pastry flour is not the same as Whole Wheat flour which also isn't
>>the
>>same as Whole Wheat Bread flour.

> Look here
> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/flours/

That lists bread flour. Not whole wheat bread flour.

> and then here
> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...s-bread-recipe

I don't see your point. That calls for unbleached bread flour. Then whole
wheat flour, organic preferred. Since King Arthur seems not to make a whole
wheat bread flour, they couldn't possibly put it in any of their recipes.
cshenk is in my FK. And I thought she did gluten free?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default This is the product I have.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

http://www.greenwillowgrains.com/22-...at-bread-flour

As you can see, it is not whole wheat flour. It is not whole wheat pastry
flour. It is not bread flour. It is whole wheat bread flour. And as far
as I can see, there aren't many companies that make it. I have found one
other company. Apparently there isn't much demand for it and I've read that
it is hard to find. Well, I found it. Just don't know how to use it. At
least it is a small bag!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 18:59:07 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>http://www.greenwillowgrains.com/22-...at-bread-flour
>
>As you can see, it is not whole wheat flour. It is not whole wheat pastry
>flour. It is not bread flour. It is whole wheat bread flour. And as far
>as I can see, there aren't many companies that make it. I have found one
>other company. Apparently there isn't much demand for it and I've read that
>it is hard to find. Well, I found it. Just don't know how to use it. At
>least it is a small bag!

Have you contacted the company and asked them how to use it? That
would seem to be the best way to get an answer.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 18:59:07 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>>http://www.greenwillowgrains.com/22-...at-bread-flour
>>
>>As you can see, it is not whole wheat flour. It is not whole wheat pastry
>>flour. It is not bread flour. It is whole wheat bread flour. And as far
>>as I can see, there aren't many companies that make it. I have found one
>>other company. Apparently there isn't much demand for it and I've read
>>that
>>it is hard to find. Well, I found it. Just don't know how to use it. At
>>least it is a small bag!

> Have you contacted the company and asked them how to use it? That
> would seem to be the best way to get an answer.

No. I just had no idea that it would be a problem for me. I can't find a
single recipe that has a use for it. I have seen forums where people talk
of using various ratios to swap it in but they couldn't guarantee that it
would work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I finally found a recipe!

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

Looks like a bit of a PITA but here it is:

http://www.greatrivermilling.com/rec...s_main/show/36

So as you can see, it does call specifically for this flour.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 31/10/2014 7:29 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:02:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 14:59:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> "Only whole wheat flour and bread flour" is whole wheat bread flour
>>> and white bread flour.
>>> Whole wheat flour in a bread recipe is understood to be whole wheat
>>> bread flour. The only other option for whole wheat is whole wheat
>>> pastry flour. . Recipes do not specifically call for Whole Wheat Bread
>>> Flour because it is expected that everyone will know that it means the
>>> stuff that isn't pastry flour. Whole wheat flour that isn't whole
>>> wheat pastry flour is bread flour,.
>>> Read it all again, slowly.
>>> Janet US

>> No! The recipes that I see call for regular bread flour and whole wheat
>> flour. And it is not understood to be that because other people are asking
>> the same question. If they meant whole wheat bread flour and whole wheat
>> white flour then it would say that. The recipe I have been using
>> specifically calls for bread flour *and* whole wheat flour. Not the same
>> thing. And yes, I know that it isn't pastry flour. And neither is whole
>> wheat flour. Methinks you don't know what you are talking about. Whole
>> Wheat Pastry flour is not the same as Whole Wheat flour which also isn't the
>> same as Whole Wheat Bread flour.

> Look here
> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/flours/
> and then here
> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...s-bread-recipe
>
> yes, I understand the bread flour and whole wheat flour thing. I know
> they are not the same thing. I can't help if you are reading comments
> from others who don't understand. I'm telling you how it is. Ask
> Ophelia or Graham or cshenk. You are reading what I have said
> incorrectly.

I plonked her sometime ago so I can't respond directly to her, and I
can't be bothered to respond indirectly either after reading subsequent
posts:-(
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 20:04:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>Looks like a bit of a PITA but here it is:
>http://www.greatrivermilling.com/rec...s_main/show/36
>
>So as you can see, it does call specifically for this flour.

You had trouble finding recipes for whole wheat bread flour?
You probably sit in front of your microwave and complain about the
same TV show being on all the time too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 18:47:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:02:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>No! The recipes that I see call for regular bread flour and whole wheat
>>>flour. And it is not understood to be that because other people are
>>>asking
>>>the same question. If they meant whole wheat bread flour and whole wheat
>>>white flour then it would say that. The recipe I have been using
>>>specifically calls for bread flour *and* whole wheat flour. Not the same
>>>thing. And yes, I know that it isn't pastry flour. And neither is whole
>>>wheat flour. Methinks you don't know what you are talking about. Whole
>>>Wheat Pastry flour is not the same as Whole Wheat flour which also isn't
>>>the
>>>same as Whole Wheat Bread flour.

>> Look here
>> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/flours/

>That lists bread flour. Not whole wheat bread flour.
>
>> and then here
>> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...s-bread-recipe
>>

>I don't see your point. That calls for unbleached bread flour. Then whole
>wheat flour, organic preferred. Since King Arthur seems not to make a whole
>wheat bread flour, they couldn't possibly put it in any of their recipes.
>cshenk is in my FK. And I thought she did gluten free?

Whole wheat flour is your whole wheat bread flour. your whole wheat
bread flour is what is called whole wheat flour. It is only recently
that some companies are identifying their whole wheat flour as whole
wheat bread flour because some people new to bread baking couldn't
figure it out.
The people I referred you to are experienced bread bakers. You can
probably add Gordon to the list.
Here's another recipe
http://www.breadworld.com/recipes/Ho...le-Wheat-Bread
recipes call for whole wheat flour -- they don't call for whole wheat
bread flour. We know what it is. We know we are baking bread.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Doris Night" > wrote in message
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>it is hard to find. Well, I found it. Just don't know how to use it. At
> >>least it is a small bag!

> > Have you contacted the company and asked them how to use it? That
> > would seem to be the best way to get an answer.

> No. I just had no idea that it would be a problem for me. I can't find a
> single recipe that has a use for it. I have seen forums where people talk
> of using various ratios to swap it in but they couldn't guarantee that it
> would work.

Does it say anything on the bag about
how to use it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 31/10/2014 9:49 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 18:47:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:02:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Look here
>>> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/flours/

>> That lists bread flour. Not whole wheat bread flour.
>>
>>> and then here
>>> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...s-bread-recipe
>>>

>> I don't see your point. That calls for unbleached bread flour. Then whole
>> wheat flour, organic preferred. Since King Arthur seems not to make a whole
>> wheat bread flour, they couldn't possibly put it in any of their recipes.
>> cshenk is in my FK. And I thought she did gluten free?

> Whole wheat flour is your whole wheat bread flour. your whole wheat
> bread flour is what is called whole wheat flour. It is only recently
> that some companies are identifying their whole wheat flour as whole
> wheat bread flour because some people new to bread baking couldn't
> figure it out.
> The people I referred you to are experienced bread bakers. You can
> probably add Gordon to the list.
> Here's another recipe
> http://www.breadworld.com/recipes/Ho...le-Wheat-Bread
> recipes call for whole wheat flour -- they don't call for whole wheat
> bread flour. We know what it is. We know we are baking bread.
> Janet US

Janet, you probably have a sore head now from banging your head against
the proverbial brick wall:-(
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 31/10/2014 7:29 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:02:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> No! The recipes that I see call for regular bread flour and whole wheat
>>> flour. And it is not understood to be that because other people are
>>> asking
>>> the same question. If they meant whole wheat bread flour and whole
>>> wheat
>>> white flour then it would say that. The recipe I have been using
>>> specifically calls for bread flour *and* whole wheat flour. Not the
>>> same
>>> thing. And yes, I know that it isn't pastry flour. And neither is
>>> whole
>>> wheat flour. Methinks you don't know what you are talking about. Whole
>>> Wheat Pastry flour is not the same as Whole Wheat flour which also isn't
>>> the
>>> same as Whole Wheat Bread flour.

>> Look here
>> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/flours/
>> and then here
>> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...s-bread-recipe
>>
>> yes, I understand the bread flour and whole wheat flour thing. I know
>> they are not the same thing. I can't help if you are reading comments
>> from others who don't understand. I'm telling you how it is. Ask
>> Ophelia or Graham or cshenk. You are reading what I have said
>> incorrectly.
>>

> I plonked her sometime ago so I can't respond directly to her, and I can't
> be bothered to respond indirectly either after reading subsequent posts:-(
> Graham

No matter. I found a recipe. Not sure I even have enough flour to make
the two loaves though. So will have to make just one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 18:47:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:02:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"

m...

>>> Look here
>>> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/flours/

>>That lists bread flour. Not whole wheat bread flour.
>>
>>> and then here
>>> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...s-bread-recipe
>>>

>>I don't see your point. That calls for unbleached bread flour. Then
>>whole
>>wheat flour, organic preferred. Since King Arthur seems not to make a
>>whole
>>wheat bread flour, they couldn't possibly put it in any of their recipes.
>>cshenk is in my FK. And I thought she did gluten free?

> Whole wheat flour is your whole wheat bread flour. your whole wheat
> bread flour is what is called whole wheat flour. It is only recently
> that some companies are identifying their whole wheat flour as whole
> wheat bread flour because some people new to bread baking couldn't
> figure it out.
> The people I referred you to are experienced bread bakers. You can
> probably add Gordon to the list.
> Here's another recipe
> http://www.breadworld.com/recipes/Ho...le-Wheat-Bread
> recipes call for whole wheat flour -- they don't call for whole wheat
> bread flour. We know what it is. We know we are baking bread.
> Janet US

No, Janet. It isn't. I *did* find a recipe that calls for the whole wheat
bread flour. Here it is again:

http://www.greatrivermilling.com/rec...s_main/show/36

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message

> Janet, you probably have a sore head now from banging your head against
> the proverbial brick wall:-(
> Graham

Her responses make me think that she has been banging her head on a brick
wall. I have been baking things including bread for over 40 years now. I
have not used bread flour until recently though. And whole wheat bread
flour is not the same thing as whole wheat flour. We've been through all of
this and recently.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 22:15:00 -0400, Doris Night wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 18:59:07 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>
>>>http://www.greenwillowgrains.com/22-...at-bread-flour
>>>
>>>As you can see, it is not whole wheat flour. It is not whole wheat
>>>pastry
>>>flour. It is not bread flour. It is whole wheat bread flour. And as
>>>far
>>>as I can see, there aren't many companies that make it. I have found one
>>>other company. Apparently there isn't much demand for it and I've read
>>>that
>>>it is hard to find. Well, I found it. Just don't know how to use it.
>>>At
>>>least it is a small bag!

>> Have you contacted the company and asked them how to use it? That
>> would seem to be the best way to get an answer.

> Uh, I hate to state the obvious, but I assume "bread flour" is for
> making bread.
>
> And it's a damned good thing Julie finally found this flour she has
> been so desperately seeking, but doesn't know what to do with it.
>
> Why did I just punish myself reading a Julie thread? Why does
> ANYBODY?

When I purchased it, I did not realize that there were so few recipes that
call for it. Most recipes either do not use bread flour at all or use
regular bread flour and if they are a whole wheat recipe they use additional
whole wheat flour. I did finally find a recipe though and it only uses
whole wheat bread flour. No other.

http://www.greatrivermilling.com/rec...s_main/show/36

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

>> > Have you contacted the company and asked them how to use it? That
>> > would seem to be the best way to get an answer.

>> No. I just had no idea that it would be a problem for me. I can't find
>> single recipe that has a use for it. I have seen forums where people
>> talk
>> of using various ratios to swap it in but they couldn't guarantee that it
>> would work.

> Does it say anything on the bag about
> how to use it?

Nope. But I have found a recipe now. I will try that and use it up but I
will not buy it again. It is apparently very hard to find. I see it for
sale online and because it isn't commonly used must be why my CSA had it on
sale. Live and learn.

I used to make my own bread all the time but just used regular flour. All
of a sudden I was seeing recipes that called for bread flour and I knew that
I wanted whole wheat so when I saw it on sale, I bought it. Wrong thing to
do!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 20:04:55 -0800, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> No. I just had no idea that it would be a problem for me. I can't find
>>> single recipe that has a use for it. I have seen forums where people
>>> talk
>>> of using various ratios to swap it in but they couldn't guarantee that
>>> it
>>> would work.

>> Does it say anything on the bag about
>> how to use it?

> It says RIGHT ON THE WEBSITE SHE LINKED:
>
> "Our bread flour makes excellent bread and pizza crust. Try using it
> in different proportions with our pastry flour for different textures,
> or try mixing it with another flour like barley or rye."
>
> Obviously you use it straight or mix it with other flours in the same
> ratios as general purpose flour.
>
> Why do people even entertain this obvious bullshit?

I am not sure which website you refer to. I *just* found a recipe a few
hours ago. I can not use rye or barley flour so that wouldn't work for me.
The problem was that I could not find any recipes that called for the whole
wheat bread flour. Just bread flour and whole wheat flour. And I don't
care who says what here, whole wheat flour and whole wheat bread flour are
not one and the same.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 23:08:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>My CSA had this on sale so I bought a small bag but now I can't find a
>single recipe that calls for it! All of the recipes that take bread flour
>use regular bread flour and then if they are a whole wheat bread, additional
>whole wheat flour. Does anyone have any recipes that use this? I would
>even be willing to make something with eggs and milk in it for my husband
>and daughter if it would use up the flour. I could use the cupboard space!
>Thanks!

What brand is this flour? If it is not in a branded package ask your
CSA exactly what the flour is and how do you use it.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 31/10/2014 7:29 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:02:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> No! The recipes that I see call for regular bread flour and whole wheat
>>> flour. And it is not understood to be that because other people are
>>> asking
>>> the same question. If they meant whole wheat bread flour and whole
>>> wheat
>>> white flour then it would say that. The recipe I have been using
>>> specifically calls for bread flour *and* whole wheat flour. Not the
>>> same
>>> thing. And yes, I know that it isn't pastry flour. And neither is
>>> whole
>>> wheat flour. Methinks you don't know what you are talking about. Whole
>>> Wheat Pastry flour is not the same as Whole Wheat flour which also isn't
>>> the
>>> same as Whole Wheat Bread flour.

>> Look here
>> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/flours/
>> and then here
>> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...s-bread-recipe
>>
>> yes, I understand the bread flour and whole wheat flour thing. I know
>> they are not the same thing. I can't help if you are reading comments
>> from others who don't understand. I'm telling you how it is. Ask
>> Ophelia or Graham or cshenk. You are reading what I have said
>> incorrectly.
>>

> I plonked her sometime ago so I can't respond directly to her, and I can't
> be bothered to respond indirectly either after reading subsequent posts:-(

Julie, she is correct.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 18:59:07 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
> http://www.greenwillowgrains.com/22-...at-bread-flour
>
> As you can see, it is not whole wheat flour. It is not whole wheat pastry
> flour. It is not bread flour. It is whole wheat bread flour. And as far
> as I can see, there aren't many companies that make it. I have found one
> other company. Apparently there isn't much demand for it and I've read that
> it is hard to find. Well, I found it. Just don't know how to use it. At
> least it is a small bag!

Looks like white whole wheat to me. Maybe this will help you.
http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-deal-8-12459
Scroll down to White Whole Wheat Bread Flour for recipes and ideas.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/flours/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 11:51:51 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 18:59:07 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>

>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> http://www.greenwillowgrains.com/22-...at-bread-flour
>>
>> As you can see, it is not whole wheat flour. It is not whole wheat pastry
>> flour. It is not bread flour. It is whole wheat bread flour. And as far
>> as I can see, there aren't many companies that make it. I have found one
>> other company. Apparently there isn't much demand for it and I've read that
>> it is hard to find. Well, I found it. Just don't know how to use it. At
>> least it is a small bag!

>Looks like white whole wheat to me. Maybe this will help you.
>http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-deal-8-12459
>Scroll down to White Whole Wheat Bread Flour for recipes and ideas.
>http://www.kingarthurflour.com/flours/

That's what it looked like to me too. I use King Arthur's White Whole
Wheat flour in my mainly KA All Purpose flour for bread. I sub about
2 cups of WWW for the AP in a 6 cup recipe. If anything, I get more
rise that I did with all AP.

BTW, KA's organic flours are on sale at my regular grocery, a small
chain, for $4.98 for a 5 lb. bag. The all purpose is $2.98 I have
stocked up on AP flour. Probably won't have to buy any more for 6
months or so.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 23:08:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>My CSA had this on sale so I bought a small bag but now I can't find a
>>single recipe that calls for it! All of the recipes that take bread flour
>>use regular bread flour and then if they are a whole wheat bread,
>>additional
>>whole wheat flour. Does anyone have any recipes that use this? I would
>>even be willing to make something with eggs and milk in it for my husband
>>and daughter if it would use up the flour. I could use the cupboard
>>space!
>>Thanks!

> What brand is this flour? If it is not in a branded package ask your
> CSA exactly what the flour is and how do you use it.

It's Green Willow. I have since found a recipe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "graham" > wrote in message
>> On 31/10/2014 7:29 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:02:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Look here
>>> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/flours/
>>> and then here
>>> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...s-bread-recipe
>>>
>>> yes, I understand the bread flour and whole wheat flour thing. I know
>>> they are not the same thing. I can't help if you are reading comments
>>> from others who don't understand. I'm telling you how it is. Ask
>>> Ophelia or Graham or cshenk. You are reading what I have said
>>> incorrectly.
>>>

>> I plonked her sometime ago so I can't respond directly to her, and I
>> can't be bothered to respond indirectly either after reading subsequent
>> posts:-(

> Julie, she is correct.

Not according to what I have read about bread flour. We had this discussion
recently. This link indicates that they are not the same thing.

http://food52.com/hotline/19776-what...le-wheat-flour

And this indicates the same. The whole wheat bread flour is made of a
harder wheat.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/707...at-bread-flour

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 18:59:07 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> http://www.greenwillowgrains.com/22-...at-bread-flour
>>
>> As you can see, it is not whole wheat flour. It is not whole wheat
>> pastry
>> flour. It is not bread flour. It is whole wheat bread flour. And as
>> far
>> as I can see, there aren't many companies that make it. I have found one
>> other company. Apparently there isn't much demand for it and I've read
>> that
>> it is hard to find. Well, I found it. Just don't know how to use it.
>> At
>> least it is a small bag!

> Looks like white whole wheat to me. Maybe this will help you.
> http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-deal-8-12459
> Scroll down to White Whole Wheat Bread Flour for recipes and ideas.
> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/flours/

It's not white whole wheat. It is whole wheat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 00:51:47 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Not according to what I have read about bread flour. We had this discussion
> recently. This link indicates that they are not the same thing.
>
> http://food52.com/hotline/19776-what...le-wheat-flour
>
> And this indicates the same. The whole wheat bread flour is made of a
> harder wheat.
>
> http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/707...at-bread-flour

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Make bread or make
something else. People use bread flour for cookies, in fact I may try
that sometime for chocolate chip cookies because I don't like the
puffy things all-purpose produces. Using margarine makes a
difference, but not a big enough difference for me to like them.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/45...aking-cookies/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 00:51:47 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> Not according to what I have read about bread flour. We had this
>> discussion
>> recently. This link indicates that they are not the same thing.
>>
>> http://food52.com/hotline/19776-what...le-wheat-flour
>>
>> And this indicates the same. The whole wheat bread flour is made of a
>> harder wheat.
>>
>> http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/707...at-bread-flour

> You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Make bread or make
> something else. People use bread flour for cookies, in fact I may try
> that sometime for chocolate chip cookies because I don't like the
> puffy things all-purpose produces. Using margarine makes a
> difference, but not a big enough difference for me to like them.
>
> http://www.livestrong.com/article/45...aking-cookies/

You didn't read what I wrote, did you? This isn't BREAD FLOUR. It is WHOLE
WHEAT BREAD FLOUR and you would not use that for cookies. I also don't EAT
cookies. I'm diabetic. You also wouldn't use a whole wheat flour for
cookies. You would use a whole wheat PASTRY flour and this isn't that!

I did find a recipe. Only one. I will try that the next time that I make
bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
hcrg.pbz...

> On Sun, 2 Nov 2014, sf wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 00:51:47 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> Not according to what I have read about bread flour. We had this
>>> discussion
>>> recently. This link indicates that they are not the same thing.
>>>
>>> http://food52.com/hotline/19776-what...le-wheat-flour
>>>
>>> And this indicates the same. The whole wheat bread flour is made of a
>>> harder wheat.
>>>
>>> http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/707...at-bread-flour

>> You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Make bread or make
>> something else. People use bread flour for cookies, in fact I may try
>> that sometime for chocolate chip cookies because I don't like the
>> puffy things all-purpose produces. Using margarine makes a
>> difference, but not a big enough difference for me to like them.
>>
>> http://www.livestrong.com/article/45...aking-cookies/

> Cooking shouldn't include being fearful of your ingredients. I'm glad to
> make small batch "experiment" dishes when working with unfamiliar
> ingredients or recipes, trying it out, and learning from what result I
> get. I agree w/ sf.

I'm not fearful of it but I hate wasting my time. I know from my many years
of baking that you can't necessarily just swap one flour for another.
Sometimes that works and sometimes it won't work at all. Bread making takes
several hours and I don't want to waste all that time on a loaf that isn't
edible.

I do have a recipe now. I will make it. I will never buy this flour again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 15:47:16 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"barbie gee" > wrote in message
ghcrg.pbz...

>> On Sun, 2 Nov 2014, sf wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 00:51:47 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Make bread or make
>>> something else. People use bread flour for cookies, in fact I may try
>>> that sometime for chocolate chip cookies because I don't like the
>>> puffy things all-purpose produces. Using margarine makes a
>>> difference, but not a big enough difference for me to like them.
>>>
>>> http://www.livestrong.com/article/45...aking-cookies/

>> Cooking shouldn't include being fearful of your ingredients. I'm glad to
>> make small batch "experiment" dishes when working with unfamiliar
>> ingredients or recipes, trying it out, and learning from what result I
>> get. I agree w/ sf.

>I'm not fearful of it but I hate wasting my time. I know from my many years
>of baking that you can't necessarily just swap one flour for another.
>Sometimes that works and sometimes it won't work at all. Bread making takes
>several hours and I don't want to waste all that time on a loaf that isn't
>edible.

You've certainly wasted enough time posting about it.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 15:45:31 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 00:51:47 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >

> >> Not according to what I have read about bread flour. We had this
> >> discussion
> >> recently. This link indicates that they are not the same thing.
> >>
> >> http://food52.com/hotline/19776-what...le-wheat-flour
> >>
> >> And this indicates the same. The whole wheat bread flour is made of a
> >> harder wheat.
> >>
> >> http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/707...at-bread-flour

> > You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Make bread or make
> > something else. People use bread flour for cookies, in fact I may try
> > that sometime for chocolate chip cookies because I don't like the
> > puffy things all-purpose produces. Using margarine makes a
> > difference, but not a big enough difference for me to like them.
> >
> > http://www.livestrong.com/article/45...aking-cookies/

> You didn't read what I wrote, did you? This isn't BREAD FLOUR. It is WHOLE
> WHEAT BREAD FLOUR and you would not use that for cookies. I also don't EAT
> cookies. I'm diabetic. You also wouldn't use a whole wheat flour for
> cookies. You would use a whole wheat PASTRY flour and this isn't that!

You didn't read what I wrote. Yes, I would use bread flour for
cookies as would many others.

> I did find a recipe. Only one. I will try that the next time that I make
> bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 15:47:16 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"barbie gee" > wrote in message
>>news:alpine.DEB.2.02.1411020916470.31772@sghcrg. sghcrg.pbz...

>>> Cooking shouldn't include being fearful of your ingredients. I'm glad
>>> make small batch "experiment" dishes when working with unfamiliar
>>> ingredients or recipes, trying it out, and learning from what result I
>>> get. I agree w/ sf.

>>I'm not fearful of it but I hate wasting my time. I know from my many
>>years
>>of baking that you can't necessarily just swap one flour for another.
>>Sometimes that works and sometimes it won't work at all. Bread making
>>takes
>>several hours and I don't want to waste all that time on a loaf that isn't
>>edible.

> You've certainly wasted enough time posting about it.

I merely asked for a recipe which nobody here had.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 15:45:31 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 00:51:47 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Make bread or make
>> > something else. People use bread flour for cookies, in fact I may try
>> > that sometime for chocolate chip cookies because I don't like the
>> > puffy things all-purpose produces. Using margarine makes a
>> > difference, but not a big enough difference for me to like them.
>> >
>> > http://www.livestrong.com/article/45...aking-cookies/

>> You didn't read what I wrote, did you? This isn't BREAD FLOUR. It is
>> WHOLE
>> WHEAT BREAD FLOUR and you would not use that for cookies. I also don't
>> EAT
>> cookies. I'm diabetic. You also wouldn't use a whole wheat flour for
>> cookies. You would use a whole wheat PASTRY flour and this isn't that!
>>

> You didn't read what I wrote. Yes, I would use bread flour for
> cookies as would many others.

And again. This isn't BREAD FLOUR! I think you have a reading
comprehension problem. And since we don't make cookies, I don't make
cookies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 17:19:55 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 15:45:31 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> >> You didn't read what I wrote, did you? This isn't BREAD FLOUR. It is
> >> WHOLE
> >> WHEAT BREAD FLOUR and you would not use that for cookies. I also don't
> >> EAT
> >> cookies. I'm diabetic. You also wouldn't use a whole wheat flour for
> >> cookies. You would use a whole wheat PASTRY flour and this isn't that!
> >>

> > You didn't read what I wrote. Yes, I would use bread flour for
> > cookies as would many others.

> And again. This isn't BREAD FLOUR! I think you have a reading
> comprehension problem. And since we don't make cookies, I don't make
> cookies.

Julie, the problem is all yours. Normal people make cookies
occasionally. They have also been known to use bread flour and yet
nobody has a problem like yours. If you want to make your diabetes
and other intolerances that you and your family have an unspecified
focus of in every post - then you picked the wrong group to do it in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 17:19:55 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 15:45:31 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>> > You didn't read what I wrote. Yes, I would use bread flour for
>> > cookies as would many others.

>> And again. This isn't BREAD FLOUR! I think you have a reading
>> comprehension problem. And since we don't make cookies, I don't make
>> cookies.

> Julie, the problem is all yours. Normal people make cookies
> occasionally. They have also been known to use bread flour and yet
> nobody has a problem like yours. If you want to make your diabetes
> and other intolerances that you and your family have an unspecified
> focus of in every post - then you picked the wrong group to do it in.

Again! This is NOT just bread flour. You are NOT getting it! I am not the
only diabetic in my family. We just don't eat cookies or much in the way of
sweets. We eat healthy food. I do not think cookies are healthy.

I asked for a recipe for the type of flour that I have. Again, it is NOT
just bread flour. Nobody seems to *get* that. I already found a recipe on
my own and I posted it here. So why are you still going on about it?