Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ginkgo Gary

Gingko Gary:
http://i57.tinypic.com/2ppwl8y.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/2ltqd78.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/1pa492.jpg
Ginkgo Pages:
http://kwanten.home.xs4all.nl/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hey, Shel, my favorite tree. ;-)). Mine, a male, which I hope yours is too, was planted when my
house was new in 1969, and is huge. I love it. Thanks for the snaps.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

>Hey, Shel, my favorite tree. ;-)). Mine, a male, which I hope yours is too, was planted when my
>house was new in 1969, and is huge. I love it. Thanks for the snaps.

Oh, post a picture, I'd love to see your ginkgo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" wrote...

Nancy2 wrote:

>Hey, Shel, my favorite tree. ;-)). Mine, a male, which I hope yours is
>too, was planted when my
>house was new in 1969, and is huge. I love it. Thanks for the snaps.

Oh, post a picture, I'd love to see your ginkgo.

__________________________________________________ ______________________-

I don't have a ginkgo, but wish I had.

I have one unusual tree though, a Bald Cypress, in front of my house.

Located in Milwaukee, WI, or SE Wisconsin

http://tinypic.com/r/1zlw5fn/8

http://tinypic.com/r/1xywzp/8

Eight years ago it was just a five foot stick...

Never used tinypic before, hope the links go through...

--

-bill_n

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 18:54:52 -0500, "billn" > wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" wrote...
>
>Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>>Hey, Shel, my favorite tree. ;-)). Mine, a male, which I hope yours is
>>too, was planted when my
>>house was new in 1969, and is huge. I love it. Thanks for the snaps.

>Oh, post a picture, I'd love to see your ginkgo.
>
>_________________________________________________ _______________________-
>
>I don't have a ginkgo, but wish I had.
>
>I have one unusual tree though, a Bald Cypress, in front of my house.
>
>Located in Milwaukee, WI, or SE Wisconsin
>
>http://tinypic.com/r/1zlw5fn/8
>
>http://tinypic.com/r/1xywzp/8
>
>Eight years ago it was just a five foot stick...
>
>Never used tinypic before, hope the links go through...

Your Cypress looks great, grew a lot in eight years. I planted a
cypress when I moved here 11 years ago but didn't fence it, by the
next morning the deer had eaten it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" wrote:
On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 18:54:52 -0500, "billn" > wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" wrote...
>
>Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>>Hey, Shel, my favorite tree. ;-)). Mine, a male, which I hope yours is
>>too, was planted when my
>>house was new in 1969, and is huge. I love it. Thanks for the snaps.

>Oh, post a picture, I'd love to see your ginkgo.
>
>_________________________________________________ _______________________-
>
>I don't have a ginkgo, but wish I had.
>
>I have one unusual tree though, a Bald Cypress, in front of my house.
>
>Located in Milwaukee, WI, or SE Wisconsin
>
>http://tinypic.com/r/1zlw5fn/8
>
>http://tinypic.com/r/1xywzp/8
>
>Eight years ago it was just a five foot stick...
>
>Never used tinypic before, hope the links go through...

Your Cypress looks great, grew a lot in eight years. I planted a
cypress when I moved here 11 years ago but didn't fence it, by the
next morning the deer had eaten it.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++

Thanks Sheldon. When the City cut down my dying Red Leaf Maple, I asked for
a Bald Cypress, and they sure delivered a good specimen.

Too bad about the deer eating your Cypress. Life is totally different
living in a rural area. Here we mostly just worry about rabbits.

Here's a couple more pics:

This one is of my Magnolia in the front yard behind the Cypress (Pic from
2008):

http://tinypic.com/r/295pevr/8

This one from my veg garden in August of this year. Closest to camera are
my tomatoes, in back to the right are cucumbers, to left are peppers,
potatoes, sunflowers for birds and squirrels, then unseen are beans,
lettuce, spinach, eggplant, onions, and probably others I can't remember
now. The white stakes you can see are the rabbit fencing. Two foot high
chicken wire. Keeps most of the rabbits out, but occasionally one jumps in
for a meal.

http://tinypic.com/r/2vt5ovt/8

My backyard and my "Perfectly Manicured Lawn", plenty of potted plants on
the patio, along with birdbath and thermometer shelter (needs painting). I
have a couple thermometers in there along with an electronic thermometer
like you have. The square brown thing is a clothes line holder. String
line between holder and hooks on house. Works great.

http://tinypic.com/r/15qogly/8

And last but definitely not least, my big boy Mooch leaning into his Catnip
plant situated right behind the tomato plants:

http://tinypic.com/r/23r75te/8

To others, sorry about OT post, but OB food:

Roasted Turkey Breast along with mashed potatoes and gravy, whole kernel
corn for veg, and a nice salad. That was our last meal prior to this post.
--
bill_n

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Shel, I can't post a pic...no cell phone or working camera, but will look for the property tax
photo.....

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 19, 2014 4:14:56 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Gingko Gary:
>
> http://i57.tinypic.com/2ppwl8y.jpg
>
> http://i57.tinypic.com/2ltqd78.jpg
>
> http://i60.tinypic.com/1pa492.jpg
>
> Ginkgo Pages:
>
> http://kwanten.home.xs4all.nl/

Here is mine...planted in 1969, and it was small...about 6 years old at the time, if I remember correctly. It cost $60, which is about $400 in today's money. I know I thought it was pretty expensive, but my husband picked it out.

Does this work? I am not very tech savvy, and this is the first time I have used tinypic.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" wrote...

On Sunday, October 19, 2014 4:14:56 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Gingko Gary:
>
> http://i57.tinypic.com/2ppwl8y.jpg
>
> http://i57.tinypic.com/2ltqd78.jpg
>
> http://i60.tinypic.com/1pa492.jpg
>
> Ginkgo Pages:
>
> http://kwanten.home.xs4all.nl/

Here is mine...planted in 1969, and it was small...about 6 years old at the
time, if I remember correctly. It cost $60, which is about $400 in today's
money. I know I thought it was pretty expensive, but my husband picked it
out.

Does this work? I am not very tech savvy, and this is the first time I have
used tinypic.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++

Beautifully captured tree, Nancy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/20/2014 3:57 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> On Sunday, October 19, 2014 4:14:56 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Gingko Gary:
>>
>> http://i57.tinypic.com/2ppwl8y.jpg
>>
>> http://i57.tinypic.com/2ltqd78.jpg
>>
>> http://i60.tinypic.com/1pa492.jpg
>>
>> Ginkgo Pages:
>>
>> http://kwanten.home.xs4all.nl/

> Here is mine...planted in 1969, and it was small...about 6 years old at the time, if I remember correctly. It cost $60, which is about $400 in today's money. I know I thought it was pretty expensive, but my husband picked it out.
>

> Does this work? I am not very tech savvy, and this is the first time I have used tinypic.

Worked fine.

So funny, I saw a gingko leaf in the parking lot right in front
of Five Guys today and pointed it out, aren't those the prettiest
leaves? Truth be told, I didn't realize they got so big. That's
a tall tree.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I should say that when we planted it, it was about a third or fourth the size of Shel's. They grow v e r y slowly,
but date back to prehistoric times, and are relatively disease and bug free, which makes them pretty
desirable. Be careful not to plant a female tree, though, as the fruit ... desirable eating in some Asian
cultures ... smells like vomit when it is squashed. The part that is edible and apparently without the
awful odor/taste is the inside.

There were a number of female ones on our university campus (since removed and replaced by male trees)
and we would often see Asian students taking time to carefully pick up ones that weren't damaged.

It is also called the Chinese Maidenhair. And that is what I know about Gingkos. ;-))

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/20/2014 7:20 PM, Nancy2 wrote:

> I should say that when we planted it, it was about a third or fourth the size of Shel's. They grow v e r y slowly,
> but date back to prehistoric times, and are relatively disease and bug free, which makes them pretty
> desirable. Be careful not to plant a female tree, though, as the fruit ... desirable eating in some Asian
> cultures ... smells like vomit when it is squashed. The part that is edible and apparently without the
> awful odor/taste is the inside.

That would not make me happy.

> There were a number of female ones on our university campus (since removed and replaced by male trees)
> and we would often see Asian students taking time to carefully pick up ones that weren't damaged.

Free food!

> It is also called the Chinese Maidenhair. And that is what I know about Gingkos. ;-))

Thank you! Very interesting.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> Gingko Gary:
>> http://i57.tinypic.com/2ppwl8y.jpg
>> http://i57.tinypic.com/2ltqd78.jpg
>> http://i60.tinypic.com/1pa492.jpg
>> Ginkgo Pages:
>> http://kwanten.home.xs4all.nl/

>Here is mine...planted in 1969, and it was small...about 6 years old at the time,
>if I remember correctly. It cost $60, which is about $400 in today's money.
>I know I thought it was pretty expensive, but my husband picked it out.
>http://i57.tinypic.com/6huce0.jpg
>Does this work? I am not very tech savvy, and this is the first time I have used tinypic.

WOW! That looks like a whole lot more than 50 years growth... ginkgo
grows very slowly and can live a few thousand years. I like your fire
hydrant... I'd put a bra on it. LOL

Ping: Gary jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 4 23-01-2017 02:41 PM
For Gary :) jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 2 15-09-2016 07:35 PM
Gary - I thought of you when I saw this sf[_9_] General Cooking 2 27-03-2015 04:09 PM
Gary V in NYT Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 2 09-09-2009 08:34 PM
Gary Who? Bubba[_8_] Barbecue 0 07-05-2009 12:14 AM