Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The chicken killed my casserole!

I made that Man Pleasing Chicken but apparently it did not please anyone in
this house. Smelled awful as it cooked and doesn't look very appealing. It
did not get the dark spots on the chicken like it showed in the picture but
the top of the casserole did turn black. So black that I couldn't scrub it
off easily. So out it went.

I should note that this was my mom's ancient Blue Cornflower Corningware.
It was slightly decrepit when she gave it to me but I made it worse.
Somehow I made gray marks on the inside in scooping the food out of it, and
if there is a way to get those out, I never found it. And then I "baked"
potatoes in it, in the microwave. That left brown spots that I couldn't get
out. This was just the last straw.

So... I ordered this set. I only hope that it doesn't arrive broken.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Corningwar...e-Set/36751569

Not sure what to do with the smaller pieces but I do need another open, long
casserole. I could have used one the other day. I wound up splitting the
food between two pie plates. I got rid of all of my larger pieces when
husband moved to NY. Those were Pyrex. I replaced the smaller pieces and
have since bought one large piece but needed more.

I also ordered a hand mixer with dough hooks. My hand mixer dates back to
the 70's and has had a lot of use so not sure how much life is left in it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oster-Hand...0-000/29201845

I do have a Bosch stand mixer but I find it to be a PITA to use and clean.
So I hope this will work for my bread dough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 00:36:16 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I made that Man Pleasing Chicken but apparently it did not please anyone in
>this house. Smelled awful as it cooked and doesn't look very appealing. It
>did not get the dark spots on the chicken like it showed in the picture but
>the top of the casserole did turn black. So black that I couldn't scrub it
>off easily. So out it went.

So, you just threw it out? Why didn't you give it a dog or something?

>I should note that this was my mom's ancient Blue Cornflower Corningware.
>It was slightly decrepit when she gave it to me but I made it worse.
>Somehow I made gray marks on the inside in scooping the food out of it, and
>if there is a way to get those out, I never found it. And then I "baked"
>potatoes in it, in the microwave. That left brown spots that I couldn't get
>out. This was just the last straw.

Understandable how something like that could be 'the last straw'. Just
terrible. Also understandable how it means the chicken didn't come out
right.

>So... I ordered this set. I only hope that it doesn't arrive broken.
>
>http://www.walmart.com/ip/Corningwar...e-Set/36751569
>
>Not sure what to do with the smaller pieces but I do need another open, long
>casserole. I could have used one the other day. I wound up splitting the
>food between two pie plates. I got rid of all of my larger pieces when
>husband moved to NY. Those were Pyrex. I replaced the smaller pieces and
>have since bought one large piece but needed more.
>
>I also ordered a hand mixer with dough hooks. My hand mixer dates back to
>the 70's and has had a lot of use so not sure how much life is left in it.
>
>http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oster-Hand...0-000/29201845
>
>I do have a Bosch stand mixer but I find it to be a PITA to use and clean.
>So I hope this will work for my bread dough.

No you don't. It wouldn't give you an opportunity to complain about
it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 2:36:16 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> I made that Man Pleasing Chicken but apparently it did not please anyone in
>
> this house.

The thoughts of Julie Bove and "Man Pleasing," taken together, would make
excellent aversion therapy for sexual addiction, or treatment for ED drug
induced priapism.

> Smelled awful...and doesn't look very appealing.

Yep.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 01:33:31 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 2:36:16 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I made that Man Pleasing Chicken but apparently it did not please anyone in
>>
>> this house.

>The thoughts of Julie Bove and "Man Pleasing," taken together, would make
>excellent aversion therapy for sexual addiction, or treatment for ED drug
>induced priapism.
>
>> Smelled awful...and doesn't look very appealing.

>Yep.

LOL, well done.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 00:36:16 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I made that Man Pleasing Chicken but apparently it did not please anyone in
>this house. Smelled awful as it cooked and doesn't look very appealing. It
>did not get the dark spots on the chicken like it showed in the picture but
>the top of the casserole did turn black. So black that I couldn't scrub it
>off easily. So out it went.
>
>I should note that this was my mom's ancient Blue Cornflower Corningware.
>It was slightly decrepit when she gave it to me but I made it worse.
>Somehow I made gray marks on the inside in scooping the food out of it, and
>if there is a way to get those out, I never found it. And then I "baked"
>potatoes in it, in the microwave. That left brown spots that I couldn't get
>out. This was just the last straw.
>
>So... I ordered this set. I only hope that it doesn't arrive broken.
>
>http://www.walmart.com/ip/Corningwar...e-Set/36751569
>
>Not sure what to do with the smaller pieces but I do need another open, long
>casserole. I could have used one the other day. I wound up splitting the
>food between two pie plates. I got rid of all of my larger pieces when
>husband moved to NY. Those were Pyrex. I replaced the smaller pieces and
>have since bought one large piece but needed more.

I have many corningware pieces, all white, all with lids... have them
for many years, no problems. Other than microwave I rarely cook
conventionally in them, they're mostly used as serving/storage pieces.

>I also ordered a hand mixer with dough hooks. My hand mixer dates back to
>the 70's and has had a lot of use so not sure how much life is left in it.
>
>http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oster-Hand...0-000/29201845
>
>I do have a Bosch stand mixer but I find it to be a PITA to use and clean.
>So I hope this will work for my bread dough.

I have this in white, works wonderfully well for all my mixing
chores... with this I've no need for a bulky obtrusive stand mixer...
I like that it presents no storage problem, and cleans up in a jiffy.
http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...er-khm926.aspx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I also made the "Man Pleasing Chicken," without any substitutes, and it not only smelled delicious
while baking, it tasted fantastic. I ate leftover sliced chicken in sandwiches, and they were
delicious, too. I don't know how you could have ruined it. It was so easy...just one step baking.
I lined the pan with heavy duty foil, just so cleanup would be a breeze.

The black marks on your Corningware is from metal utensils. When that happened to mine, a
quick scrub with a Brillo pad removed them.

If you hated the old Corningware, why ever would you buy new? Honestly, some of your decisions
have no logic behind them at all. I don't bake much in any glass containers any more. It is so
much easier to use metal, whether non-stick or not. It is just personal preference. I think metal
of any kind, except copper, is just easier to clean.

And how, lastly, could you possibly get a stand mixer so messy that you would complain about how
hard it was to clean?? My stand KA pebbly-gray mixer just needs a quick swipe with a damp cloth
to clean any flour dust or errant drips. I guess along with splashing raw egg on your arms while
trying to crack one open, you must be a real slap-dash impossibly messy cook. This is just an
observation, not an insult.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 07:31:47 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> And how, lastly, could you possibly get a stand mixer so messy that you would complain about how
> hard it was to clean?? My stand KA pebbly-gray mixer just needs a quick swipe with a damp cloth
> to clean any flour dust or errant drips.

People claim a food processor is hard to clean too. It's just their
way of saying: I don't want to use it, so here's an excuse. With all
of her physical problems, I can understand that Julie wouldn't want to
deal with lifting it in and out of the cupboard. I think she's put it
to more use if it lived on the counter, but she has often said she
doesn't have surface space to devote to appliance storage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 9:14:51 AM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 07:31:47 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
>
> > wrote:
>

> > And how, lastly, could you possibly get a stand mixer so messy that you would complain about how

> > hard it was to clean?? My stand KA pebbly-gray mixer just needs a quick swipe with a damp cloth

> > to clean any flour dust or errant drips.

> People claim a food processor is hard to clean too. It's just their
>
> way of saying: I don't want to use it, so here's an excuse. With all
>
> of her physical problems, I can understand that Julie wouldn't want to
>
> deal with lifting it in and out of the cupboard. I think she's put it
>
> to more use if it lived on the counter, but she has often said she
>
> doesn't have surface space to devote to appliance storage.

Another aider and abetter for Julie...way to go.
=======
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 9:36:16 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> I made that Man Pleasing Chicken but apparently it did not please anyone in
>
> this house. Smelled awful as it cooked and doesn't look very appealing. It
>
> did not get the dark spots on the chicken like it showed in the picture but
>
> the top of the casserole did turn black. So black that I couldn't scrub it
>
> off easily. So out it went.

If you want to please your man, mustard just ain't gonna cut it. Next time use the cheapest bottled BBQ sauce you can find instead and have your hubby scorch the top with a propane torch. He might overdo it with the torch-job but let him be because fire is what pleases men the most. Who knows, you might even get lucky that night.

> I should note that this was my mom's ancient Blue Cornflower Corningware.
>
> It was slightly decrepit when she gave it to me but I made it worse.
>
> Somehow I made gray marks on the inside in scooping the food out of it, and
>
> if there is a way to get those out, I never found it. And then I "baked"
>
> potatoes in it, in the microwave. That left brown spots that I couldn't get
>
> out. This was just the last straw.
>

> So... I ordered this set. I only hope that it doesn't arrive broken.
>

> http://www.walmart.com/ip/Corningwar...e-Set/36751569
>

> Not sure what to do with the smaller pieces but I do need another open, long
>
> casserole. I could have used one the other day. I wound up splitting the
>
> food between two pie plates. I got rid of all of my larger pieces when
>
> husband moved to NY. Those were Pyrex. I replaced the smaller pieces and
>
> have since bought one large piece but needed more.
>

> I also ordered a hand mixer with dough hooks. My hand mixer dates back to
>
> the 70's and has had a lot of use so not sure how much life is left in it..
>

> http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oster-Hand...0-000/29201845
>

> I do have a Bosch stand mixer but I find it to be a PITA to use and clean..
>
> So I hope this will work for my bread dough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 1:52:17 AM UTC-6, Je�us wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 00:36:16 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>
> > wrote:
>

> >I made that Man Pleasing Chicken but apparently it did not please anyone in

> >this house. Smelled awful as it cooked and doesn't look very appealing. It

> >did not get the dark spots on the chicken like it showed in the picture but

> >the top of the casserole did turn black. So black that I couldn't scrub it

> >off easily. So out it went.

> So, you just threw it out? Why didn't you give it a dog or something?

She wastes more food than she eats...it would be cheaper to hire a decent cook. Good thing I'm not paying for her experiments or she'd hit the road burnt pots and all.
=====

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message
eb.com...

> On 1-Oct-2014, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> I made that Man Pleasing Chicken but apparently it did not please anyone
>> in
>> this house. Smelled awful as it cooked and doesn't look very appealing.
>> It
>> did not get the dark spots on the chicken like it showed in the picture
>> but
>> the top of the casserole did turn black. So black that I couldn't scrub
>> it
>> off easily. So out it went.

> OTOH, I made it for our Sunday family dinner and it was well received.
> It
> smelled good, tasted great and didn't turn black on top but was nicely
> browned on the high points. The browning may have been because I used a
> meat thermometer and removed iit from the oven when done; I don't care
> much
> for dishes charred black on top. Both my son and daughter thought it was
> great and would like to have it again sometime; my son liked it so well,
> he
> wanted leftovers for Monday lunch.

Mine was not even close to being done at the listed cook time. I wound up
cutting the pieces in half as they were still very raw insidfe.

> Whether the difference is in the ingredient quality or in the diner's
> taste-buds, it was a hit at my house. Served with blanched then sauteed
> green beans and carrots, and a barley pilaf.

Nobody here has even tried to eat it. It just kind of looks like chicken in
barf.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 07:31:47 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>I also made the "Man Pleasing Chicken," without any substitutes, and it not only smelled delicious
>while baking, it tasted fantastic. I ate leftover sliced chicken in sandwiches, and they were
>delicious, too. I don't know how you could have ruined it. It was so easy...just one step baking.
>I lined the pan with heavy duty foil, just so cleanup would be a breeze.

I made this tonight and it was pretty awesome. I didn't have any rice
wine vinegar, so I substituted my "secret ingredient" - sweet sherry.

This was incredibly quick and easy, and my husband said it was really
good.

I forgot to line my pan with foil, so the sauce got burned on pretty
good, but my husband is the dishewasher around here, so that's his
problem.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 00:36:16 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I made that Man Pleasing Chicken but apparently it did not please anyone
>>in
>>this house. Smelled awful as it cooked and doesn't look very appealing.
>>It
>>did not get the dark spots on the chicken like it showed in the picture
>>but
>>the top of the casserole did turn black. So black that I couldn't scrub
>>it
>>off easily. So out it went.
>>
>>I should note that this was my mom's ancient Blue Cornflower Corningware.
>>It was slightly decrepit when she gave it to me but I made it worse.
>>Somehow I made gray marks on the inside in scooping the food out of it,
>>and
>>if there is a way to get those out, I never found it. And then I "baked"
>>potatoes in it, in the microwave. That left brown spots that I couldn't
>>get
>>out. This was just the last straw.
>>
>>So... I ordered this set. I only hope that it doesn't arrive broken.
>>
>>http://www.walmart.com/ip/Corningwar...e-Set/36751569
>>
>>Not sure what to do with the smaller pieces but I do need another open,
>>long
>>casserole. I could have used one the other day. I wound up splitting the
>>food between two pie plates. I got rid of all of my larger pieces when
>>husband moved to NY. Those were Pyrex. I replaced the smaller pieces and
>>have since bought one large piece but needed more.

> I have many corningware pieces, all white, all with lids... have them
> for many years, no problems. Other than microwave I rarely cook
> conventionally in them, they're mostly used as serving/storage pieces.

I have other, newer ones. No problem except that some had accidents and
broke. They are the pansy pattern. I got them for cheap when the
Woolworths went out of business in Falmouth, MA. I have since replaced
those from Ebay. But the Cornflower one was bigger and was the most often
used of all of the ones in my cupboard.
\

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message

> I also made the "Man Pleasing Chicken," without any substitutes, and it
> not only smelled delicious
> while baking, it tasted fantastic. I ate leftover sliced chicken in
> sandwiches, and they were
> delicious, too. I don't know how you could have ruined it. It was so
> easy...just one step baking.
> I lined the pan with heavy duty foil, just so cleanup would be a breeze.
>
> The black marks on your Corningware is from metal utensils. When that
> happened to mine, a
> quick scrub with a Brillo pad removed them.

That didn't work for me.

> If you hated the old Corningware, why ever would you buy new? Honestly,
> some of your decisions
> have no logic behind them at all. I don't bake much in any glass
> containers any more. It is so
> much easier to use metal, whether non-stick or not. It is just personal
> preference. I think metal
> of any kind, except copper, is just easier to clean.

Who said I hated it? It was my favorite! But that particular dish just
looked so decripit. The outside wasn't even white any more. Took on the
look of old teeth. Sort of a dingy gray. I do not want a metal casserole
as I sometimes put them in the microwave.

> And how, lastly, could you possibly get a stand mixer so messy that you
> would complain about how
> hard it was to clean?? My stand KA pebbly-gray mixer just needs a quick
> swipe with a damp cloth
> to clean any flour dust or errant drips. I guess along with splashing raw
> egg on your arms while
> trying to crack one open, you must be a real slap-dash impossibly messy
> cook. This is just an
> observation, not an insult.

I don't get the stand mixer messy but, it throws the dough up. It has
several little tiny pieces that have to be put on there plus a bowl cover.
It won't even operate without the bowl cover but, the dough does climb up
the...not sure what to call it because it's not a beater and it's not a
dough hook. Climbs up there and gets in the little parts and then I have to
use a toothpick or a very fine brush to get it out. I don't have a KA.
It's a Bosch. It was purported to be the best for gluten free doughs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 07:31:47 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
>> And how, lastly, could you possibly get a stand mixer so messy that you
>> would complain about how
>> hard it was to clean?? My stand KA pebbly-gray mixer just needs a quick
>> swipe with a damp cloth
>> to clean any flour dust or errant drips.

> People claim a food processor is hard to clean too. It's just their
> way of saying: I don't want to use it, so here's an excuse. With all
> of her physical problems, I can understand that Julie wouldn't want to
> deal with lifting it in and out of the cupboard. I think she's put it
> to more use if it lived on the counter, but she has often said she
> doesn't have surface space to devote to appliance storage.

I have not used the new one yet but the old one *was* hard to clean. Not
the obvious parts of it. But it had tiny little parts that I couldn't
really access where food would get in. And then water could get in. And
because I couldn't really get even the water out and I couldn't take those
little bits apart to fully dry it, it eventually mildewed inside.

The food processor I have now is a small one. It's on the counter. My stand
mixer is small but heavy. I used to keep it on the counter but it was just
in the way. It's now on a shelf in the dining room as it won't fit in any
of my cupboards. I just don't want to have to keep dragging it into the
kitchen, assembling it, keeping track of all the parts I am not using, and
also having to use the bowl that came with it. That is the only bowl that
will work. It's a crappy plastic bowl. And you *have* to use the bowl
cover on it. It's designed not to work without the cover. Which means you
have to keep stopping it and taking it all apart just to scrape down the
dough. It's a PITA. I would rather use the hand mixer if I could. If that
won't work and I still am not getting good results by hand, then I will
resort to using it and it will likely find a home on the counter because I
will be making bread at least once a week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 9:36:16 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> I made that Man Pleasing Chicken but apparently it did not please anyone
> in
>
> this house. Smelled awful as it cooked and doesn't look very appealing.
> It
>
> did not get the dark spots on the chicken like it showed in the picture
> but
>
> the top of the casserole did turn black. So black that I couldn't scrub
> it
>
> off easily. So out it went.

If you want to please your man, mustard just ain't gonna cut it. Next time
use the cheapest bottled BBQ sauce you can find instead and have your hubby
scorch the top with a propane torch. He might overdo it with the torch-job
but let him be because fire is what pleases men the most. Who knows, you
might even get lucky that night.

===

Oh no! Nobody here likes BBQ sauce. I have tried it when I could get it
for free with coupons. Make it with BBQ sauce means having to throw it out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 1:52:17 AM UTC-6, Je�us wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 00:36:16 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>
> > wrote:
>

> >I made that Man Pleasing Chicken but apparently it did not please anyone
> >in

> >this house. Smelled awful as it cooked and doesn't look very appealing.
> >It

> >did not get the dark spots on the chicken like it showed in the picture
> >but

> >the top of the casserole did turn black. So black that I couldn't scrub
> >it

> >off easily. So out it went.

> So, you just threw it out? Why didn't you give it a dog or something?

She wastes more food than she eats...it would be cheaper to hire a decent
cook. Good thing I'm not paying for her experiments or she'd hit the road
burnt pots and all.
=====

I threw the casserole out. Not the chicken. It's still in the fridge but
nobody will eat it. And the only dogs I know are on special diets. The
casserole is older than me. I'm 55. It was time. I hadn't really wanted
it anyway. I had asked for one as a gift. And instead of getting a new
one, I was given that. It had just gotten beyond the point of no return.
The outside looked dull and dingy. And it looked even worse inside.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie, you must have liked the way the photo looked, or you wouldn't have made it. The only way it
would not have been done after 40 minutes at 450 degrees (open pan), is if you piled up the pieces,
or your oven temperature isn't accurate.

Mine looked exactly like the picture. I don't call the dark brown spots here and
there on the top as burned or black. I just call it well browned. I baked it in a single layer. I guess it
doesn't matter, unless someone here counts on your recipe reviews, which is unlikely. Too bad,
though, your family missed a good and easy main dish.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 07:31:47 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>

>>I also made the "Man Pleasing Chicken," without any substitutes, and it
>>not only smelled delicious
>>while baking, it tasted fantastic. I ate leftover sliced chicken in
>>sandwiches, and they were
>>delicious, too. I don't know how you could have ruined it. It was so
>>easy...just one step baking.
>>I lined the pan with heavy duty foil, just so cleanup would be a breeze.

> I made this tonight and it was pretty awesome. I didn't have any rice
> wine vinegar, so I substituted my "secret ingredient" - sweet sherry.
>
> This was incredibly quick and easy, and my husband said it was really
> good.
>
> I forgot to line my pan with foil, so the sauce got burned on pretty
> good, but my husband is the dishewasher around here, so that's his
> problem.

I will have to tell them that others have tried this and liked it. They
merely asked me what was in it then said, "ugh" or something similar and
refused to eat it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 15:33:54 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Roy" > wrote in message
>On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 1:52:17 AM UTC-6, Je�us wrote:
>>
>> So, you just threw it out? Why didn't you give it a dog or something?
>>

>She wastes more food than she eats...it would be cheaper to hire a decent
>cook. Good thing I'm not paying for her experiments or she'd hit the road
>burnt pots and all.
>=====
>
>I threw the casserole out. Not the chicken. It's still in the fridge but
>nobody will eat it.

Well, you're either an outstandingly abysmal cook, or your family
needs a kick up the arse and told to just ****ing well eat it or go
hungry.

>And the only dogs I know are on special diets.

LOL, of course they all are...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 13:17:54 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
wrote:

>On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 1:52:17 AM UTC-6, Je�us wrote:
>> On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 00:36:16 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>>
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >I made that Man Pleasing Chicken but apparently it did not please anyone in

>> >this house. Smelled awful as it cooked and doesn't look very appealing. It

>> >did not get the dark spots on the chicken like it showed in the picture but

>> >the top of the casserole did turn black. So black that I couldn't scrub it

>> >off easily. So out it went.

>> So, you just threw it out? Why didn't you give it a dog or something?
>>

>She wastes more food than she eats...it would be cheaper to hire a decent cook. Good thing I'm not paying for her experiments or she'd hit the road burnt pots and all.

That would be a generous and fair approach when it comes to dealing
with Julie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie, to put the chicken in some form your family might eat, here are some suggestions: first,
for all these, using your clean fingers, smooth all the mustard sauce off both sides of the
chicken. Idea 1: put it on a cutting board and slice it for sandwiches. 2: shred it and put it
in a bechamel, and serve it over toast or in pastry cups. 3: shred it and use it in fajitas,
tacos, or as an ingredient in a cold dinner salad. 4: dice it and mix with mayo and other
ingredients you usually use in chicken salad. Chicken salad can be used in sandwiches,
or used as a scoop of filling in a fresh tomato cut nearly through into wedges that spread
open and make a place to put it.

If your family won't eat any of those things, give it to your neighbor's dog...or cat...or just toss
it out on the grass at the edge of your lot for the wild beasties.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 15:42:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Doris Night" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 07:31:47 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>I also made the "Man Pleasing Chicken," without any substitutes, and it
>>>not only smelled delicious
>>>while baking, it tasted fantastic. I ate leftover sliced chicken in
>>>sandwiches, and they were
>>>delicious, too. I don't know how you could have ruined it. It was so
>>>easy...just one step baking.
>>>I lined the pan with heavy duty foil, just so cleanup would be a breeze.

>> I made this tonight and it was pretty awesome. I didn't have any rice
>> wine vinegar, so I substituted my "secret ingredient" - sweet sherry.
>>
>> This was incredibly quick and easy, and my husband said it was really
>> good.
>>
>> I forgot to line my pan with foil, so the sauce got burned on pretty
>> good, but my husband is the dishewasher around here, so that's his
>> problem.

>I will have to tell them that others have tried this and liked it. They
>merely asked me what was in it then said, "ugh" or something similar and
>refused to eat it.

So you made them something else then?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 15:49:21 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Julie, to put the chicken in some form your family might eat, here are some suggestions: first,
>for all these, using your clean fingers, smooth all the mustard sauce off both sides of the
>chicken. Idea 1: put it on a cutting board and slice it for sandwiches. 2: shred it and put it
>in a bechamel, and serve it over toast or in pastry cups. 3: shred it and use it in fajitas,
>tacos, or as an ingredient in a cold dinner salad. 4: dice it and mix with mayo and other
>ingredients you usually use in chicken salad. Chicken salad can be used in sandwiches,
>or used as a scoop of filling in a fresh tomato cut nearly through into wedges that spread
>open and make a place to put it.

Look forward to the response

>If your family won't eat any of those things, give it to your neighbor's dog...or cat...

No... they're all on 'special diets' where Julie lives. Apparently.

>or just toss
>it out on the grass at the edge of your lot for the wild beasties.

Maybe add some cat flavour for the raccoons?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message

> Julie, you must have liked the way the photo looked, or you wouldn't have
> made it. The only way it
> would not have been done after 40 minutes at 450 degrees (open pan), is if
> you piled up the pieces,
> or your oven temperature isn't accurate.

I didn't make it because of the photo. I made it because I had the
ingredients. And yes, the pieces were piled up because of the size of the
casserole, and I had 2 pounds of chicken.

> Mine looked exactly like the picture. I don't call the dark brown spots
> here and
> there on the top as burned or black. I just call it well browned. I
> baked it in a single layer. I guess it
> doesn't matter, unless someone here counts on your recipe reviews, which
> is unlikely. Too bad,
> though, your family missed a good and easy main dish.

The chicken on top did not get browned at all and I wound up baking it for a
full hour. I will try to get husband to eat some later. Angela is still
refusing, based on the ingredients. I don't get it. She loves mustard and
she loves maple syrup but she is also just getting over getting sick and has
been asking for foods that she won't normally eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message

> Julie, to put the chicken in some form your family might eat, here are
> some suggestions: first,
> for all these, using your clean fingers, smooth all the mustard sauce off
> both sides of the
> chicken. Idea 1: put it on a cutting board and slice it for sandwiches.
> 2: shred it and put it
> in a bechamel, and serve it over toast or in pastry cups. 3: shred it
> and use it in fajitas,
> tacos, or as an ingredient in a cold dinner salad. 4: dice it and mix
> with mayo and other
> ingredients you usually use in chicken salad. Chicken salad can be used
> in sandwiches,
> or used as a scoop of filling in a fresh tomato cut nearly through into
> wedges that spread
> open and make a place to put it.
>
> If your family won't eat any of those things, give it to your neighbor's
> dog...or cat...or just toss
> it out on the grass at the edge of your lot for the wild beasties.

Uh, no! Food like that is not proper to feed to dogs and cats. And with
all of the wild animals around here, we have been told not to leave any food
outside. And grass at the edge our lot? We have a front yard that is the
size of an average master bedroom. The grassy part of the backyard is about
the same, although longer and more narrow. I don't want wild animals that
close to our house. We have enough trouble with them.

I also can't imagine making any of those things with this chicken. Nobody
here will eat chicken salad. Angela will not eat sandwiches, and if I dared
to put anything in a toast cup, they would laugh! I'm not about to go out
and buy pastry cups either. And the flavor profile is totally wrong for
Mexican food. I am the only one who eats tomatoes. They hate them.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Bove[_2_] View Post
I made that Man Pleasing Chicken but apparently it did not please anyone in
this house. Smelled awful as it cooked and doesn't look very appealing. It
did not get the dark spots on the chicken like it showed in the picture but
the top of the casserole did turn black. So black that I couldn't scrub it
off easily. So out it went.

I should note that this was my mom's ancient Blue Cornflower Corningware.
It was slightly decrepit when she gave it to me but I made it worse.
Somehow I made gray marks on the inside in scooping the food out of it, and
if there is a way to get those out, I never found it. And then I "baked"
potatoes in it, in the microwave. That left brown spots that I couldn't get
out. This was just the last straw.

So... I ordered this set. I only hope that it doesn't arrive broken.

Corningware Etch 7-Piece Set - Walmart.com

Not sure what to do with the smaller pieces but I do need another open, long
casserole. I could have used one the other day. I wound up splitting the
food between two pie plates. I got rid of all of my larger pieces when
husband moved to NY. Those were Pyrex. I replaced the smaller pieces and
have since bought one large piece but needed more.

I also ordered a hand mixer with dough hooks. My hand mixer dates back to
the 70's and has had a lot of use so not sure how much life is left in it.

Oster Hand Mixer - Walmart.com

I do have a Bosch stand mixer but I find it to be a PITA to use and clean.
So I hope this will work for my bread dough.
Well I cant keep up with wimmen jibber jabber but what ever you said sounds right to the men folks on this end. Kindly keep up the good work.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 10:31:47 AM UTC-4, Nancy2 wrote:
> I also made the "Man Pleasing Chicken," without any substitutes, and it not only smelled delicious
>
> while baking, it tasted fantastic. I ate leftover sliced chicken in sandwiches, and they were
>
> delicious, too. I don't know how you could have ruined it. It was so easy...just one step baking.
>
> I lined the pan with heavy duty foil, just so cleanup would be a breeze.
>

> The black marks on your Corningware is from metal utensils. When that happened to mine, a
>
> quick scrub with a Brillo pad removed them.
>

> If you hated the old Corningware, why ever would you buy new? Honestly, some of your decisions
>
> have no logic behind them at all. I don't bake much in any glass containers any more. It is so
>
> much easier to use metal, whether non-stick or not. It is just personal preference. I think metal
>
> of any kind, except copper, is just easier to clean.
>

> And how, lastly, could you possibly get a stand mixer so messy that you would complain about how
>
> hard it was to clean?? My stand KA pebbly-gray mixer just needs a quick swipe with a damp cloth
>
> to clean any flour dust or errant drips. I guess along with splashing raw egg on your arms while
>
> trying to crack one open, you must be a real slap-dash impossibly messy cook. This is just an
>
> observation, not an insult.
>

> N.

You don't honestly believe anything she says, do you?

Vortex, vortex........
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/1/2014 2:48 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> If you want to please your man, mustard just ain't gonna cut it. Next time use the cheapest bottled BBQ sauce you can find instead and have your hubby scorch the top with a propane torch. He might overdo it with the torch-job but let him be because fire is what pleases men the most. Who knows, you might even get lucky that night.

One of the favorite dishes in our house is chicken breast "painted" with
Dijon mustard and grilled on the gas grill. The mustard seals in the
juices of the chicken breast.

My man was extremely pleased with this dish.

Cheap BBQ sauce was never something we used. My late husband was
diabetic so I made my own homemade BBQ sauce that did not have sugar or
high-fructose corn syrup, which is prevalent in cheap store-bought BBQ
sauce . No one has ever complained about my homemade BBQ sauce, either.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-01 18:47, Jeßus wrote:
nobody will eat it.

> Well, you're either an outstandingly abysmal cook, or your family
> needs a kick up the arse and told to just ****ing well eat it or go
> hungry.
>
>> And the only dogs I know are on special diets.

> LOL, of course they all are...

I am biting my lip here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Oct 2014 20:15:01 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>On 10/1/2014 2:48 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>> If you want to please your man, mustard just ain't gonna cut it. Next time use the cheapest bottled BBQ sauce you can find instead and have your hubby scorch the top with a propane torch. He might overdo it with the torch-job but let him be because fire is what pleases men the most. Who knows, you might even get lucky that night.

>One of the favorite dishes in our house is chicken breast "painted" with
>Dijon mustard and grilled on the gas grill. The mustard seals in the
>juices of the chicken breast.
>
>My man was extremely pleased with this dish.
>
>Cheap BBQ sauce was never something we used. My late husband was
>diabetic so I made my own homemade BBQ sauce that did not have sugar or
>high-fructose corn syrup, which is prevalent in cheap store-bought BBQ
>sauce . No one has ever complained about my homemade BBQ sauce, either.

I never use BBQ sauce, instead I marinate. I hate any sauce slathered
all over my Q'd meat like it was so awful it needed to be hidden. I
think anyone who slathers Q with ANY sauce it's because they
CAN'T cook. Good Q needs nothing else... if you're going to slather
your Q with sauce you may as well pass jugs of Heinz red... if Q needs
sauce it's garbage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hey, J eBuy, tweeeooot! You have the response. ;-))

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/1/2014 3:15 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 10/1/2014 2:48 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>> If you want to please your man, mustard just ain't gonna cut it. Next
>> time use the cheapest bottled BBQ sauce you can find instead and have
>> your hubby scorch the top with a propane torch. He might overdo it
>> with the torch-job but let him be because fire is what pleases men the
>> most. Who knows, you might even get lucky that night.

> One of the favorite dishes in our house is chicken breast "painted" with
> Dijon mustard and grilled on the gas grill. The mustard seals in the
> juices of the chicken breast.

Grilling a chicken breast is something I would hate to partake of. It's
just not in my genes to be able to do this. My daughter's boyfriend was
able to do this perfectly when he was 18. 2 years later, he's a banquet
chef.

> My man was extremely pleased with this dish.

I would be too. However, if you're gonna sauce up a chicken in a pan and
bake it, I'll take the cheap BBQ sauce any day.

> Cheap BBQ sauce was never something we used. My late husband was
> diabetic so I made my own homemade BBQ sauce that did not have sugar or
> high-fructose corn syrup, which is prevalent in cheap store-bought BBQ
> sauce . No one has ever complained about my homemade BBQ sauce, either.

I make a pretty good BBQ sauce too. Unfortunately, I can't grill
anything these days. It's a hassle in this condo. Damn you house rules!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hey, Dave, how does it taste? Do you want a little mustard with that?

LOL.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/1/2014 8:57 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Oct 2014 20:15:01 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> On 10/1/2014 2:48 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>

>>> If you want to please your man, mustard just ain't gonna cut it. Next time use the cheapest bottled BBQ sauce you can find instead and have your hubby scorch the top with a propane torch. He might overdo it with the torch-job but let him be because fire is what pleases men the most. Who knows, you might even get lucky that night.

>> One of the favorite dishes in our house is chicken breast "painted" with
>> Dijon mustard and grilled on the gas grill. The mustard seals in the
>> juices of the chicken breast.
>>
>> My man was extremely pleased with this dish.
>>
>> Cheap BBQ sauce was never something we used. My late husband was
>> diabetic so I made my own homemade BBQ sauce that did not have sugar or
>> high-fructose corn syrup, which is prevalent in cheap store-bought BBQ
>> sauce . No one has ever complained about my homemade BBQ sauce, either.

> I never use BBQ sauce, instead I marinate. I hate any sauce slathered
> all over my Q'd meat like it was so awful it needed to be hidden. I
> think anyone who slathers Q with ANY sauce it's because they
> CAN'T cook. Good Q needs nothing else... if you're going to slather
> your Q with sauce you may as well pass jugs of Heinz red... if Q needs
> sauce it's garbage.

I'm a Texan. We put rub on our Q and serve sauce on the side. Even
though I made the sauce for my DH, of blessed memory, he rarely used it
when I made ribs. He said my ribs were delicious without needing sauce
because of the rub and the smoke flavoring.

If you re-read my post, I said I "painted" the chicken breast with Dijon
mustard. Painting was using the back of a spoon to spread the mustard
on the chicken breast. Never 'slather' anything on any kind of meat here.

Of course, I don't make only one kind of chicken. There are times when
I marinate it in various marinades. I also marinate flank steak which,
when properly cooked, is tender and delicious.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Oct 2014 18:16:46 -0400, Doris Night
> wrote:

>On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 07:31:47 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:
>

>>I also made the "Man Pleasing Chicken," without any substitutes, and it not only smelled delicious
>>while baking, it tasted fantastic. I ate leftover sliced chicken in sandwiches, and they were
>>delicious, too. I don't know how you could have ruined it. It was so easy...just one step baking.
>>I lined the pan with heavy duty foil, just so cleanup would be a breeze.

>I made this tonight and it was pretty awesome. I didn't have any rice
>wine vinegar, so I substituted my "secret ingredient" - sweet sherry.

I wonder what sherry vinegar would be like with it? I usually have a
bottle here but alas have run out. Makes a fantastic vinaigrette.

>This was incredibly quick and easy, and my husband said it was really
>good.
>
>I forgot to line my pan with foil, so the sauce got burned on pretty
>good, but my husband is the dishewasher around here, so that's his
>problem.

Thanks for the warning the foil. I plan to make this within the
next few days and am really looking forward to it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Oct 2014 21:29:30 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2014-10-01 18:47, Jeßus wrote:
>nobody will eat it.
>>
>> Well, you're either an outstandingly abysmal cook, or your family
>> needs a kick up the arse and told to just ****ing well eat it or go
>> hungry.
>>
>>> And the only dogs I know are on special diets.

>> LOL, of course they all are...
>>

>I am biting my lip here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 19:09:39 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Hey, J eBuy, tweeeooot! You have the response. ;-))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Oct 2014 16:10:19 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> I make a pretty good BBQ sauce too. Unfortunately, I can't grill
> anything these days. It's a hassle in this condo. Damn you house rules!

Do you have a grill pan? It's a surprisingly good substitution!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Oct 2014 21:30:42 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> If you re-read my post, I said I "painted" the chicken breast with Dijon
> mustard. Painting was using the back of a spoon to spread the mustard
> on the chicken breast.

I've never used mustard on chicken other than Jacques Pepin's recipe.
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/q...ard-and-garlic
It's good to hear I don't have to go to that much trouble for chicken.

CHICKEN CASSEROLE Bobo Bonobo® General Cooking 0 04-05-2009 01:13 PM
Chicken Casserole jacqueline austin Recipes (moderated) 0 10-02-2007 06:53 PM
Chicken Casserole Tim Recipes 0 11-08-2005 10:10 AM
Chicken Casserole 2 Tim Recipes 0 10-08-2005 03:26 PM
CHICKEN CASSEROLE Tim Recipes 0 10-08-2005 03:26 PM