Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Uses for ketchup?

I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying one
bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two! I plan
to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one bottle.
But what else can I do with it? Seems like we used to eat a lot more
ketchup and now it rarely gets eaten.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 02:46:48 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying one
> bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two! I plan
> to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one bottle.
> But what else can I do with it? Seems like we used to eat a lot more
> ketchup and now it rarely gets eaten.

I don't use much ketchup, so one bottle lasts a long time at my house.
If you liked barbecued food, you could make barbecue sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2014 5:46 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying
> one bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two!
> I plan to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one
> bottle. But what else can I do with it? Seems like we used to eat a lot
> more ketchup and now it rarely gets eaten.

Mix with mayo to make a salad dressing
Base for barbecue sauce
Add to canned beans
Put it on lots of things like eggs, sausage, even a dab on peanut butter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/14/2014 5:46 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying
>> one bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two!
>> I plan to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one
>> bottle. But what else can I do with it? Seems like we used to eat a lot
>> more ketchup and now it rarely gets eaten.

> Mix with mayo to make a salad dressing
> Base for barbecue sauce
> Add to canned beans
> Put it on lots of things like eggs, sausage, even a dab on peanut butter.

Halloween is right around the corner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 9/14/2014 5:46 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying
> > one bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two!
> > I plan to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one
> > bottle. But what else can I do with it? Seems like we used to eat a lot
> > more ketchup and now it rarely gets eaten.

> Mix with mayo to make a salad dressing
> Base for barbecue sauce
> Add to canned beans
> Put it on lots of things like eggs, sausage, even a dab on peanut butter.

A dab of a peanut butter sandwich? Really? That sounds wrong but
I'll have to give it a try.

The mixed with mayo for a salad dressing is my favorite. I make that
every single time I eat spaghetti or lasagna. Salad on the same plate
too....a little bit of that dressing goes well with the sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2014 9:49 AM, Gary wrote:

>> Put it on lots of things like eggs, sausage, even a dab on peanut butter.

> A dab of a peanut butter sandwich? Really? That sounds wrong but
> I'll have to give it a try.

I dropped by a friend's place one evening and he was making himself a
snack. Crackers with PB and a dab of ketchup. I was surprised at how
good it was. I've done a few myself for something different

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying one
> bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two! I plan
> to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one bottle.
> But what else can I do with it? Seems like we used to eat a lot more
> ketchup and now it rarely gets eaten.

One variation of sloppy joes uses ketchup, basically ground beef, diced
onions and a lot of ketchup. The key is you simmer it for a good while
which mellows the ketchup flavor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

(1) Make tonkatsu sauce. Ketchup, worcestershire, soy, Miron, garlic.
Serve with pork/beef/chicken tonkatsu

(2) Use right out of the bottle to polish copperware. Paint it on, let
it sit, wash it off. Hunt's is better for that than actually eating
the stuff. I use RedGold.

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 02:46:48 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying one
>bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two! I plan
>to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one bottle.
>But what else can I do with it? Seems like we used to eat a lot more
>ketchup and now it rarely gets eaten.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2014 11:27 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> You are one sick puppy,
>
> OK, that's the final straw. I'll never read or post to this group
> again! After 26 years, I'm through here!
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 09:49:17 -0400, Gary wrote:

> A dab of a peanut butter sandwich? Really? That sounds wrong but
> I'll have to give it a try.

Red pepper flakes on a peanut butter sandwich is surprisingly good.

--

-Jeff B.

"Excuse me.
I don't mean to impose,
but I am the Ocean."

~ The Salton Sea

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying one
> bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two! I plan
> to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one bottle.
> But what else can I do with it? Seems like we used to eat a lot more
> ketchup and now it rarely gets eaten.

and now the race is on to see what complaints she will muster on the
various suggestions made for her
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2014 12:12 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Sriracha.
>
> -sw
> OK, that's the final straw. I'll never read or post to this group
> again! After 26 years, I'm through here!
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying
> one bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two!
> I plan to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one
> bottle. But what else can I do with it?

Get creative... finger paint with ketchup.
http://www.wackyuses.com/heinz_ketchup.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xxulxN0oDo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2014 11:46 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying
> one bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two!
> I plan to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one
> bottle. But what else can I do with it? Seems like we used to eat a lot
> more ketchup and now it rarely gets eaten.

I was gonna mix up a batch of steak sauce and dump it into a squeeze
bottle like the kind you find in diners but I realized that I could just
add stuff into a half empty bottle of ketchup and save myself some
trouble, plus the 14 oz squeeze bottle works a lot better than a diner
bottle.

You can add anything that your heart desires to that half empty bottle
to make your own special sauce - I'm guessing in your case, that would
be peanut butter and honey. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote:

>I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying one
>bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two! I plan
>to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one bottle.
>But what else can I do with it?

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/great-c...-ketchup-cake/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote:

>I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying one
>bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two! I plan
>to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one bottle.
>But what else can I do with it?

The obvious:
http://www.heinzketchup.com/Recipes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote:

>I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying one
>bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two! I plan
>to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one bottle.
>But what else can I do with it?

Invite Stan... if this turns out well he may propose:
http://www.midcenturymenu.com/2014/0...y-recipe-test/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2014 1:28 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Yet another glaringly wrong picture - it doesn't match the recipe.
>
> -sw
> OK, that's the final straw. I'll never read or post to this group
> again! After 26 years, I'm through here!
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Make a pot roast.

Mix about half a cup of ketchup with half a cup of water, a spoonful of
cider vinegar, and half a cup or more of red wine.

Brown the roast and put it in a crock pot, top of the stove casserole on
low or in the oven in a pan, wrapped in heavy duty foil at 300°.

For seasoning use garlic, bay leaves, thyme, marjoram and black pepper.
I like to throw in some cut up celery, onion and a few handfuls of
baby carrots. When the pot roast is about an hour and a half from done,
you can throw in some quartered potatoes.

Cook until the meat is tender. 8 to 10 hours on low in the crock pot
and to "stick a fork in it" on the stove or in the oven.

I always add some ketchup to my pot roast and brisket. The best thing
is to have an almost empty bottle, put some water or wine in it and
shake then pour all over the pot roast.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> Make a pot roast.
>
> Mix about half a cup of ketchup with half a cup of water, a spoonful of
> cider vinegar, and half a cup or more of red wine.
>
> Brown the roast and put it in a crock pot, top of the stove casserole on
> low or in the oven in a pan, wrapped in heavy duty foil at 300°.
>
> For seasoning use garlic, bay leaves, thyme, marjoram and black pepper. I
> like to throw in some cut up celery, onion and a few handfuls of baby
> carrots. When the pot roast is about an hour and a half from done, you
> can throw in some quartered potatoes.
>
> Cook until the meat is tender. 8 to 10 hours on low in the crock pot and
> to "stick a fork in it" on the stove or in the oven.
>
> I always add some ketchup to my pot roast and brisket. The best thing is
> to have an almost empty bottle, put some water or wine in it and shake
> then pour all over the pot roast.

That sounds good! One question, do you find the potatoes are cooked in that
time? Potatoes
never seem to cook properly for me in the pot.

Anyway, I have saved your recipe, thanks

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2014 1:27 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> You are one sick puppy, Ed.
>
> -sw

Thank you for noticing!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-09-14 2:09 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

>> I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying one
>> bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two! I plan
>> to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one bottle.
>> But what else can I do with it? Seems like we used to eat a lot more
>> ketchup and now it rarely gets eaten.

> and now the race is on to see what complaints she will muster on the
> various suggestions made for her

My thoughts exactly. There is sugar in it so it's not good for
diabetics. She won't be able to eat or doesn't like most of the foods
it goes well with. Husband and/or daughter won't like the things
suggested. She could donate it to a food bank, but that suggestion was
made in response to one of her previous questions and was rejected.

I saved the effort of responding to her queery, unlike the many people
who got sucked into her vortex of idiocy once again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 14, 2014 2:09:25 PM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:
> In article >,
>
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>

> > I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying one

> > bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two! I plan

> > to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one bottle.

> > But what else can I do with it? Seems like we used to eat a lot more

> > ketchup and now it rarely gets eaten.

> and now the race is on to see what complaints she will muster on the
>
> various suggestions made for her

That's why she begins these asinine threads, doncha know? She not worth giving a sane and serious answer to.

You'd think she had 10 lb. of strip steak about to go bad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2014 8:10 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 02:46:48 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying one
>> bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two! I plan
>> to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one bottle.
>> But what else can I do with it? Seems like we used to eat a lot more
>> ketchup and now it rarely gets eaten.

> I don't use much ketchup, so one bottle lasts a long time at my house.
> If you liked barbecued food, you could make barbecue sauce.

Ketchup keeps in my fridge for a very long time. Then again, I don't
freak out when I see a date printed on a bottle and feel the need to
throw it away.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 02:46:48 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying one
>> bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two! I
>> plan
>> to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one bottle.
>> But what else can I do with it? Seems like we used to eat a lot more
>> ketchup and now it rarely gets eaten.

> I don't use much ketchup, so one bottle lasts a long time at my house.
> If you liked barbecued food, you could make barbecue sauce.

No. Nobody here likes that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/14/2014 5:46 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying
>> one bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two!
>> I plan to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one
>> bottle. But what else can I do with it? Seems like we used to eat a lot
>> more ketchup and now it rarely gets eaten.

> Mix with mayo to make a salad dressing
> Base for barbecue sauce
> Add to canned beans
> Put it on lots of things like eggs, sausage, even a dab on peanut butter.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> On 9/14/2014 5:46 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying
>>> one bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two!
>>> I plan to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one
>>> bottle. But what else can I do with it? Seems like we used to eat a lot
>>> more ketchup and now it rarely gets eaten.

>> Mix with mayo to make a salad dressing
>> Base for barbecue sauce
>> Add to canned beans
>> Put it on lots of things like eggs, sausage, even a dab on peanut butter.

> Halloween is right around the corner.

No, I'm not going to stage an accident to frighten the kids.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message
eb.com...

> On 14-Sep-2014, "Pico Rico" > wrote:

>> > Mix with mayo to make a salad dressing
>> > Base for barbecue sauce
>> > Add to canned beans
>> > Put it on lots of things like eggs, sausage, even a dab on peanut
>> > butter.

>> Halloween is right around the corner.

> If a food dehydrator is available, she could make ketchup roll-ups, wrap
> them in waxed paper and hand them out to the trick-or-treaters. 8-)

*shudder*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message

> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying one
>> bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two! I
>> plan
>> to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one bottle.
>> But what else can I do with it? Seems like we used to eat a lot more
>> ketchup and now it rarely gets eaten.

> One variation of sloppy joes uses ketchup, basically ground beef, diced
> onions and a lot of ketchup. The key is you simmer it for a good while
> which mellows the ketchup flavor.

I wondered if I could make that. We're not overly fond of sloppy Joes, but
I will try that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemiker" > wrote in message
> (1) Make tonkatsu sauce. Ketchup, worcestershire, soy, Miron, garlic.
> Serve with pork/beef/chicken tonkatsu
>
> (2) Use right out of the bottle to polish copperware. Paint it on, let
> it sit, wash it off. Hunt's is better for that than actually eating
> the stuff. I use RedGold.

What is Miron?

I do have copper. I used to polish it that way. Haven't polished it for
years. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>>
>>I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying one
>>bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two! I plan
>>to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one bottle.
>>But what else can I do with it?

> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/great-c...-ketchup-cake/

Well, it won't be quite the same as I have Hunts but I'm gonna try that!
Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> Make a pot roast.
>>
>> Mix about half a cup of ketchup with half a cup of water, a spoonful of
>> cider vinegar, and half a cup or more of red wine.
>>
>> Brown the roast and put it in a crock pot, top of the stove casserole on
>> low or in the oven in a pan, wrapped in heavy duty foil at 300°.
>>
>> For seasoning use garlic, bay leaves, thyme, marjoram and black pepper. I
>> like to throw in some cut up celery, onion and a few handfuls of baby
>> carrots. When the pot roast is about an hour and a half from done, you
>> can throw in some quartered potatoes.
>>
>> Cook until the meat is tender. 8 to 10 hours on low in the crock pot and
>> to "stick a fork in it" on the stove or in the oven.
>>
>> I always add some ketchup to my pot roast and brisket. The best thing is
>> to have an almost empty bottle, put some water or wine in it and shake
>> then pour all over the pot roast.

> That sounds good! One question, do you find the potatoes are cooked in
> that time? Potatoes
> never seem to cook properly for me in the pot.
>
> Anyway, I have saved your recipe, thanks
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Hmmm... Seems like that would make the meat overly sweet. But I guess I
can try it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>>
>>I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying one
>>bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two! I plan
>>to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one bottle.
>>But what else can I do with it?

> The obvious:
> http://www.heinzketchup.com/Recipes

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>>
>>I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying one
>>bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two! I plan
>>to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one bottle.
>>But what else can I do with it?

> Invite Stan... if this turns out well he may propose:
> http://www.midcenturymenu.com/2014/0...y-recipe-test/

I actually had something similar but it had chocolate chips in it. Was at a
baby shower. But I think I might pass on this one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 9/13/2014 11:46 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying
>> one bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two!
>> I plan to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one
>> bottle. But what else can I do with it? Seems like we used to eat a lot
>> more ketchup and now it rarely gets eaten.

> I was gonna mix up a batch of steak sauce and dump it into a squeeze
> bottle like the kind you find in diners but I realized that I could just
> add stuff into a half empty bottle of ketchup and save myself some
> trouble, plus the 14 oz squeeze bottle works a lot better than a diner
> bottle.
>
> You can add anything that your heart desires to that half empty bottle to
> make your own special sauce - I'm guessing in your case, that would be
> peanut butter and honey. :-)

Not peanut butter and honey. That doesn't sound good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, September 14, 2014 2:09:25 PM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:
>> In article >,
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>

>> > I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying
>> > one

>> > bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two! I
>> > plan

>> > to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one
>> > bottle.

>> > But what else can I do with it? Seems like we used to eat a lot more

>> > ketchup and now it rarely gets eaten.

>> and now the race is on to see what complaints she will muster on the
>>
>> various suggestions made for her

> That's why she begins these asinine threads, doncha know? She not worth
> giving a sane and serious answer to.
>
> You'd think she had 10 lb. of strip steak about to go bad.

Why is it okay for sw to ask about BBQ sauce but not me with ketchup?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> eb.com...
>>> Make a pot roast.
>>>
>>> Mix about half a cup of ketchup with half a cup of water, a spoonful of
>>> cider vinegar, and half a cup or more of red wine.
>>>
>>> Brown the roast and put it in a crock pot, top of the stove casserole on
>>> low or in the oven in a pan, wrapped in heavy duty foil at 300°.
>>>
>>> For seasoning use garlic, bay leaves, thyme, marjoram and black pepper.
>>> like to throw in some cut up celery, onion and a few handfuls of baby
>>> carrots. When the pot roast is about an hour and a half from done, you
>>> can throw in some quartered potatoes.
>>>
>>> Cook until the meat is tender. 8 to 10 hours on low in the crock pot
>>> and
>>> to "stick a fork in it" on the stove or in the oven.
>>>
>>> I always add some ketchup to my pot roast and brisket. The best thing
>>> is
>>> to have an almost empty bottle, put some water or wine in it and shake
>>> then pour all over the pot roast.

>> That sounds good! One question, do you find the potatoes are cooked in
>> that time? Potatoes
>> never seem to cook properly for me in the pot.
>>
>> Anyway, I have saved your recipe, thanks
>>
>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

> Hmmm... Seems like that would make the meat overly sweet. But I guess I
> can try it.

Sweet? With half a cup of ketchup *and* the cider vinegar ... ????

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 15:01:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 02:46:48 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I think it is multiplying in my kitchen. I only ever remember buying one
> >> bottle of Hunts and yet I found another in there. That makes two! I
> >> plan
> >> to make a large batch of meatloaf so that will likely use up one bottle.
> >> But what else can I do with it? Seems like we used to eat a lot more
> >> ketchup and now it rarely gets eaten.

> > I don't use much ketchup, so one bottle lasts a long time at my house.
> > If you liked barbecued food, you could make barbecue sauce.

> No. Nobody here likes that.

I knew that already.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2014 3:47 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> Make a pot roast.
>>
>> Mix about half a cup of ketchup with half a cup of water, a spoonful of
>> cider vinegar, and half a cup or more of red wine.
>>
>> Brown the roast and put it in a crock pot, top of the stove casserole on
>> low or in the oven in a pan, wrapped in heavy duty foil at 300°.
>>
>> For seasoning use garlic, bay leaves, thyme, marjoram and black pepper. I
>> like to throw in some cut up celery, onion and a few handfuls of baby
>> carrots. When the pot roast is about an hour and a half from done, you
>> can throw in some quartered potatoes.
>>
>> Cook until the meat is tender. 8 to 10 hours on low in the crock pot and
>> to "stick a fork in it" on the stove or in the oven.
>>
>> I always add some ketchup to my pot roast and brisket. The best thing is
>> to have an almost empty bottle, put some water or wine in it and shake
>> then pour all over the pot roast.

> That sounds good! One question, do you find the potatoes are cooked in
> that time? Potatoes
> never seem to cook properly for me in the pot.
>
> Anyway, I have saved your recipe, thanks

I put them in the crockpot when it's about halfway, in the on the stove
or in the oven when it's an hour and a half, or more, out from done
time. I cut red-skinned potatoes into quarters or eights depending on
the size of the potato. If I'm using the tiny red potatoes, I cut them
in half.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2014 5:08 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> eb.com...
>>> Make a pot roast.
>>>
>>> Mix about half a cup of ketchup with half a cup of water, a spoonful of
>>> cider vinegar, and half a cup or more of red wine.
>>>
>>> Brown the roast and put it in a crock pot, top of the stove casserole on
>>> low or in the oven in a pan, wrapped in heavy duty foil at 300°.
>>>
>>> For seasoning use garlic, bay leaves, thyme, marjoram and black
>>> pepper. I
>>> like to throw in some cut up celery, onion and a few handfuls of baby
>>> carrots. When the pot roast is about an hour and a half from done, you
>>> can throw in some quartered potatoes.
>>>
>>> Cook until the meat is tender. 8 to 10 hours on low in the crock pot
>>> and
>>> to "stick a fork in it" on the stove or in the oven.
>>>
>>> I always add some ketchup to my pot roast and brisket. The best
>>> thing is
>>> to have an almost empty bottle, put some water or wine in it and shake
>>> then pour all over the pot roast.

>> That sounds good! One question, do you find the potatoes are cooked
>> in that time? Potatoes
>> never seem to cook properly for me in the pot.
>>
>> Anyway, I have saved your recipe, thanks
>>
>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

> Hmmm... Seems like that would make the meat overly sweet. But I guess
> I can try it.

a half a cup of ketchup won't make the meat sweet at all. It will add
some flavor. Also the vinegar in the ketchup acts as a tenderizer.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Ketchup + + Gary General Cooking 73 20-01-2014 03:57 PM
For The Ketchup Boy Lou Decruss General Cooking 12 06-02-2010 03:00 AM
Ketchup was ( See? It's not just me) Andy General Cooking 1 12-05-2006 03:19 PM
Ketchup Mike \Piedmont\ Recipes (moderated) 0 12-11-2005 03:14 AM
Ketchup ~patches~ General Cooking 4 13-09-2005 02:42 PM