Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Uses for ketchup?

On 2014-09-17, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Anyone else remember the TV ad "who puts eight great tomatoes in that
> itty-bitty can?"
>
> "you know who"
>
> "Contadina"

No, can't say I do. But, I do recall coming across more bulged
Contadina paste cans than any other food and/or brand. For this
reason, alone, I will not purchase Contidina brand anything. 8|

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 13:35:01 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 12:57:32 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Are you talking about passata? I do buy and use that but I don't use it
> >> in
> >> place of paste.

> > Passata is virtually unknown here. It might be available somewhere,
> > but I wouldn't know where.

> It is smooth thick but runny tomato. Not nearly so thick as paste. I use it
> in sauces.

I looked it up, apparently it's uncooked - so I assume you get a fresh
tomatoey flavor. Am I correct? If so, it sounds delicious. I'll
check the shelves at the Italian deli where I buy grated parmesan. If
they don't have it, there's a small grocery chain that stocks Italian
products down in my DD's area that might sell it. That's the only
place I've found piquillo peppers (and believe me, I've searched for
them). They're very common on the East Coast, but not out here.
Maybe passata is the same story.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 07:26:59 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

> On 9/16/2014 10:05 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 16:43:29 -0500, George Leppla
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Becca makes a Mexican style Shrimp Cocktail that probably has 37
> >> ingredients in it... but the main 2 are spicy tomato juice (like Snappy
> >> Tom, Spicy V8 or Mrs T's Bloody Mary mix) and ketchup.
> >>
> >> It is incredibly good.
> >>

> > I bet! If she does that, she probably makes a killer mole too.

> Becca is the best Mexican cook I have ever met but she has live in SE
> Texas or Louisiana for all of her life and started cooking very young.
> When we go to a Mexican restaurant I measure everything we order against
> what she can make at home and usually, hers is better.

With a cook like her in residence, I bet that makes eating out kind of
tough!

> Last week we were on a cruise and ate at the fancy-schmancy Mexican
> restaurant on the ship. I ordered short ribs mole and it tasted burnt.
> Nowhere near as good as Becca's. (On the other side of the table, Becca
> ordered a grilled Red Snapper that was really, really good and big
> enough for the two of us, so the meal wasn't a total waste.)

Too bad about the mole. Did Becca's snapper come with a Veracruz
sauce too? That would have been icing on the cake for me!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 05:41:08 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 17:47:19 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>>

>>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>> >

>>> Paste in a tube is not widely available here.

>>I didn't say it was hard to find, I only said it was more expensive.
>>>
>>> So while it might be common to you, canned is what is common here. That
>>> is
>>> why you are getting the responses from sf that you are getting.

>>I said it was more expensive than canned, what's so hard to understand
>>about that? A 6 oz can of tomato paste is less than $1, a 2.8 oz tube
>>(I have one - it's Amorte sun-dried tomato) is more like $5.

> Not too long ago I bought a dozen 6 ounce cans of Hunts tomato paste,
> 49¢ each. Paste in tubes is typically far more expensive per ounce...
> I haven't bought a tube in probably 20 years, I've no use for those
> itty bitty tubes. Anytime I use tomato paste I use the entire 6 ounce
> can... I typically include a can of paste when I make a pot of sauce,
> to compensate for the extra water I add when rinsing the last bits
> from each can of crushed.

I can get a tube of plain tom paste for around 40p

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-09-17, dsi1 > wrote:

> of those things that when you finally have the perfect use for it, you
> can't find it!

heh heh......

I've got a couple of those, one ginger and one lemon grass.
Surprisingly, they work pretty darn good. Not only extremely handy,
but the only way I can find lemon grass in any form, out here in the
boonies. They also last a long time. My lemon grass is over one yr
old and has not spoiled. I may buy a few more tubed herbs, they
becoming more popular/available with the sprmkts in our area.

I will point out that pickled ginger (like for sushi) works better
than this tubed ginger for retaining a ginger flavor in cooked
dishes. I bought the sushi ginger after forgetting I had the tubed
ginger in the fridge.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-09-17, Ophelia > wrote:

> "jinx the minx" > wrote in message

>> throwing out most of a 6 oz. can (as most people probably do) is the more
>> economical option.

> Thank you.

Very true. Unfortunately, paste in tubes IS rare enough that the 6 oz
can is often the only option. I merely put the unused portion of the
can in a small plastic storage container and toss in the freezer. A
30 sec nuke is usually enough make the paste soft enough to snag a
tablespoon or two from the container, when necessary.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-09-17, Janet > wrote:

>> I also fail to see how most people would not know of the tube's

> existence. I have been buying it like that since the 1980's.
>
> Contradiction alert.

Europe is not the same as the USofA, alert!!

We do see Euro made tubes, occasionally, ina deli or high-end sprmkt
or food specialty store, but for the most part, US tomato paste
tradionally comes in a unique-to-itself 6 oz can. Usually either
Contadina, Hunt's, Del Monte, etc. But, we know a good thing when we
see it, so tubes WILL become more common. OTOH, not always a good
idea. I've bought two tubes of Euro anchovie paste, both in metallic
tubes, both having a distinct metallic flavor. I tossed both.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2014-09-17, Ophelia > wrote:
>
>> "jinx the minx" > wrote in message

>>> throwing out most of a 6 oz. can (as most people probably do) is the
>>> more
>>> economical option.

>> Thank you.

> Very true. Unfortunately, paste in tubes IS rare enough that the 6 oz
> can is often the only option. I merely put the unused portion of the
> can in a small plastic storage container and toss in the freezer. A
> 30 sec nuke is usually enough make the paste soft enough to snag a
> tablespoon or two from the container, when necessary.

Yes, if I had no other option I would do that too.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message

> Europe is not the same as the USofA, alert!!

Indeed! It would be good if more people remembered that.

> We do see Euro made tubes, occasionally, ina deli or high-end sprmkt
> or food specialty store, but for the most part, US tomato paste
> tradionally comes in a unique-to-itself 6 oz can. Usually either
> Contadina, Hunt's, Del Monte, etc. But, we know a good thing when we
> see it, so tubes WILL become more common. OTOH, not always a good
> idea. I've bought two tubes of Euro anchovie paste, both in metallic
> tubes, both having a distinct metallic flavor. I tossed both.

Oh I've had garlic in a tube but never had that problem. I don't know
about other stuff though because I haven't tried it - other than tomato of
course.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17 Sep 2014 14:02:04 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> I've got a couple of those, one ginger and one lemon grass.
> Surprisingly, they work pretty darn good. Not only extremely handy,
> but the only way I can find lemon grass in any form, out here in the
> boonies. They also last a long time. My lemon grass is over one yr
> old and has not spoiled. I may buy a few more tubed herbs, they
> becoming more popular/available with the sprmkts in our area.

That's good to know about lemon grass in a tube. I see a recipe I
want to try, don't have the ingredient. Actually buy the ingredient,
can't remember which recipe it was that I wanted to try. I have no
idea how to handle lemon grass anyway, so I'd probably end up with
unchewable shreds in the dish if I used the real thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2014 11:49 AM, sf wrote:

>>> I didn't say that, Julie did.

>> Yes she did. Sorry, I didn't notice you :-)
>>

> It's kind of hard to follow who said what when nobody trims.

I know you didn't say it, sf.

Apparently *nothing* is widely available in Bothell, WA. Must be a
pretty wacky place. Even I can find tomato paste in a tube and I have
limited grocery store options. Oddly enough, I found it on a rack near
the myriad of bagged salads in the produce section at Publix.

No one has mentioned (that I know of) in this thread, if you buy the
small 6 oz. cans (I buy Contadina brand and the ingredients are simply
*tomatoes*) you can freeze the remaining tomato paste. About all I ever
need is 1-2 Tbs. at a time. Then you have half a can left. Spoon it
out and freeze it in Tbs. portions.

The tube tomato paste is handy but does cost more. I don't use tomato
paste often enough to matter unless I'm making something like a pot of
vegetable beef soup.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote:
>"notbob" wrote:

>> Very true. Unfortunately, paste in tubes IS rare enough that the 6 oz
>> can is often the only option. I merely put the unused portion of the
>> can in a small plastic storage container and toss in the freezer. A
>> 30 sec nuke is usually enough make the paste soft enough to snag a
>> tablespoon or two from the container, when necessary.

>Yes, if I had no other option I would do that too.

I see tomato paste in a tubes in most markets... you can buy it on
line too, I'm sure amazon carries several brands, can even buy it
he
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mutti-Mutt...Of-12/34252482
If I really wanted tomato paste in a tube (I don't) I have a plastic
refillable syringe that's used to feed medicated foods to cats, same
as I fill it with cat food I can easily fill it with tomato paste, cap
it and just like cat food keep it in the fridge. Most any pet store
will have them, mine was free from my Vet. Right now I'm using a
syringe to feed canned pumpkin to an older constipated cat, the extra
fiber works... and in fact the other cats love canned pumpkin so they
all get some too.
http://www.amazon.com/Innovet-Pet-Pr.../dp/B005XMW3IW
http://www.petco.com/product/107463/...g-Syringe.aspx
http://www.petsmart.com/bird/feeders...6-catid-400047
Certainly cheap enough to have several:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...cfm?pcatid=836
http://www.medhelp.org/tags/health_p...-one?hp_id=491

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 12:20:28 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:

> >> Yes she did. Sorry, I didn't notice you :-)

> > It's kind of hard to follow who said what when nobody trims.

> I know you didn't say it, sf.
>

> Apparently *nothing* is widely available in Bothell, WA. Must be a
>
> pretty wacky place. Even I can find tomato paste in a tube and I have
>
> limited grocery store options. Oddly enough, I found it on a rack near
>
> the myriad of bagged salads in the produce section at Publix.
>

> No one has mentioned (that I know of) in this thread, if you buy the
>
> small 6 oz. cans (I buy Contadina brand and the ingredients are simply
>
> *tomatoes*) you can freeze the remaining tomato paste. About all I ever
>
> need is 1-2 Tbs. at a time. Then you have half a can left. Spoon it
>
> out and freeze it in Tbs. portions.
>

> The tube tomato paste is handy but does cost more. I don't use tomato
>
> paste often enough to matter unless I'm making something like a pot of
>
> vegetable beef soup.
>

> Jill

I stick my leftover paste in a certain 2 oz. Rubbermaid and it lives on the freezer door. It's a breeze to cut out a T or so. Oh, doncha know? It's illegal to do that on Planet Bove.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 3:22:06 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> > On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 10:23:12 -0400, Brooklyn1

> > > wrote:

> > snip

> >>I've never in my life cooked anything that required tomato paste that

> >>I didn't use an entire 6 ounce can... what, you cook in 1 qt pots? The

> >>only use I've found for a 1 qt pot is scooping a ration of bird seed.

> > A tablespoon or so may be used to add additional caramelized flavor to

> > a pan of something like onions, peppers, garlic that you are building

> > into a dish. The dish doesn't have to be a tomato-centric dish and

> > probably isn't. Did that make sense?

> > Janet US

> There is also Chinese Tomato Beef. It uses a beef gravy with a touch of
>
> tomato paste. It is a very thick and flavorful sauce. I knew there was
>
> something I used that paste for. That was it! Sadly, nobody else in this
>
> house likes that stuff. So I have to either make it for myself and eat it
>
> for days on end or make it for a potluck. I did that once and I had no
>
> leftovers to take home. Really good stuff!

I love beef tomato. I used to make it quite frequently. I should make it again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:57:32 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message

> >> I think tomato puree is too loose to be subbed for tomato paste. My

> >> home made barbecue sauce has a base of a can of tomato puree.

> > You'd be right about that. Most tomato puree is an OK substitute for

> > tomato sauce. This stuff I used in place of paste. Unfortunately, I forgot

> > what brand it was. I think that it was Contadina puree but I'll have to

> > buy a can to find out. If it's just regular puree, I'll be sad.

> Are you talking about passata? I do buy and use that but I don't use it in
>
> place of paste.

I do not know what passata is. I like saying the word "passata!" though. :-)

The thick stuff was in a big can and I thought it was a deal - almost like tomato paste but priced like sauce. It could have been a mislabled batch of paste.

> --
>
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 13:03:25 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>I stick my leftover paste in a certain 2 oz. Rubbermaid and it lives on the freezer door. It's a breeze to cut out a T or so. Oh, doncha know? It's illegal to do that on Planet Bove.

I don't think there's enough room in her freezer.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 4:02:04 AM UTC-10, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-09-17, dsi1 > wrote:
>

> > of those things that when you finally have the perfect use for it, you

> > can't find it!

> heh heh......
>

> I've got a couple of those, one ginger and one lemon grass.
>
> Surprisingly, they work pretty darn good. Not only extremely handy,
>
> but the only way I can find lemon grass in any form, out here in the
>
> boonies. They also last a long time. My lemon grass is over one yr
>
> old and has not spoiled. I may buy a few more tubed herbs, they
>
> becoming more popular/available with the sprmkts in our area.
>

> I will point out that pickled ginger (like for sushi) works better
>
> than this tubed ginger for retaining a ginger flavor in cooked
>
> dishes. I bought the sushi ginger after forgetting I had the tubed
>
> ginger in the fridge.
>

> nb

Personally, I'd like to have green herbs in paste form or in oil. It's too much hassle for me to keep fresh herbs around. Most of the time they get thrown away. The pickled ginger goes great with sushi, or rather, between sushis.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 2:16:54 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> > "JohnJohn" > wrote in message

> >> On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 19:40:49 +0100, "Ophelia"

> >> You're very patient.

> > Well, I'm not and I'm getting sick of people posting wrong things and then

> > having other people believe them!

> I am being accused of not reading the label. How the hell can I read a
>
> label of something YOU have?????
>

> I simply asked if the tomato stuff being referred to was a diluted version
>
> of tomato paste! How hard is that to understand???????
>

> All this nastiness has come from that simple question.
>

> Think about it!!!!

Sometimes when you have a tempest in a teapot, you just gotta add lemon and make some tea. :-)

> --
>
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:57:32 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> > You'd be right about that. Most tomato puree is an OK substitute for

>> > tomato sauce. This stuff I used in place of paste. Unfortunately, I
>> > forgot

>> > what brand it was. I think that it was Contadina puree but I'll have to

>> > buy a can to find out. If it's just regular puree, I'll be sad.

>> Are you talking about passata? I do buy and use that but I don't use it
>> in
>>
>> place of paste.
>>

> I do not know what passata is. I like saying the word "passata!" though.
> :-)
>
> The thick stuff was in a big can and I thought it was a deal - almost like
> tomato paste but priced like sauce. It could have been a mislabled batch
> of paste.

Passata is thick pureed tomato) Not so thick as paste though) Sounds
like you have something similar.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Maybe where you are and the way you use it.

>> It is very expensive here. The canned is cheap.

> It is very inexpensive here. I can't think why it should be expensive.

It's imported from Italy. While you can get canned imported, most is made
here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 12:57:32 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> Are you talking about passata? I do buy and use that but I don't use it
>> in
>> place of paste.

> Passata is virtually unknown here. It might be available somewhere,
> but I wouldn't know where.

I've never even heard of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> AT LAST! An actual answer to my question!!! Thanks, Sheldon!

>> PLEASE DON'T LISTEN TO HIM. He is WRONG!!!!!

> I know he wasn't right, I was just cheering the fact that I was getting an
> actual ANSWER to my question instead of being sneered at.

Oh, okay. I did try to answer although I fear the answer was convoluted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 18:18:42 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> No, Ophelia. She *wasn't* wrong. Sheldon was.

>> Thank you. Read the label. Sauce has salt, preservatives and
>> sometimes a sweetener, but those other things are in huge letters on
>> the label to make it stand out from plain tomato sauce and they are
>> usually not in sauce, but a chunkier style of canned tomato. If
>> anyone is so inclined, they can buy tomato paste with added herbs &
>> spices. It isn't any less tomato paste, it's just doctored up at the
>> factory. Same with tomato sauce. The sauce is what it is, it's just
>> doctored up.

> I will respond to you on this for the last time. I ASKED A SIMPLE
> QUESTION ... REMEMBER?????

But simple questions don't always have simple answers. For one thing, the
word "tomato sauce" means different things to different people and
companies. Some make a pasta sauce and call it tomato sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "JohnJohn" > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 19:40:49 +0100, "Ophelia"

m...

>>> You're very patient.

>> Well, I'm not and I'm getting sick of people posting wrong things and
>> then having other people believe them!

> I am being accused of not reading the label. How the hell can I read a
> label of something YOU have?????

I am not the one who said tghat. I was objecting to Sheldon saying that
tomato sauce is seasoned and paste is not.

> I simply asked if the tomato stuff being referred to was a diluted version
> of tomato paste! How hard is that to understand???????

Well, in the case of some brands, it is. Some actually use tomato paste and
thin it down. But some do not. And different brands use various
seasonings, or none.

> All this nastiness has come from that simple question.
>
> Think about it!!!!

That's because most everyone who has responded to this seems to think they
are correct and they won't look at the other responses.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "jinx the minx" > wrote in message
>
>> Tomato paste in a tube is not as uncommon as Julie would like you to
>> believe. You do not need to go to a specialty or import food store to
>> find it. Even Target sells it. Most people just don't look for it here
>> (or know of it's existence) as canned paste is the standard. It is NOT
>> considered "fancy" nor "gourmet" to anyone other than the likes of Julie,
>> with her frozen boxed food tastes. And yes, frugal people DO buy it
>> because being able to squeeze out 1 tbsp at a time instead of opening and
>> throwing out most of a 6 oz. can (as most people probably do) is the more
>> economical option.

> Thank you.

All of the tomato paste I have seen is imported from Italy and it is far
more expensive than US made canned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2014-09-17, Ophelia > wrote:
>
>> "jinx the minx" > wrote in message

>>> throwing out most of a 6 oz. can (as most people probably do) is the
>>> more
>>> economical option.

>> Thank you.

> Very true. Unfortunately, paste in tubes IS rare enough that the 6 oz
> can is often the only option. I merely put the unused portion of the
> can in a small plastic storage container and toss in the freezer. A
> 30 sec nuke is usually enough make the paste soft enough to snag a
> tablespoon or two from the container, when necessary.

See there jinx? Perhaps it is common where you live. It certainly isn't
common here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Yes she did. Sorry, I didn't notice you :-)
>>>

>> It's kind of hard to follow who said what when nobody trims.
>>

> I know you didn't say it, sf.
>
> Apparently *nothing* is widely available in Bothell, WA. Must be a pretty
> wacky place. Even I can find tomato paste in a tube and I have limited
> grocery store options. Oddly enough, I found it on a rack near the myriad
> of bagged salads in the produce section at Publix.

I know that I can get tomato paste in a tube at Central Market and probably
at the Albertsons in Mill Creek as they have an International food section.
Bothell itself has only a Safeway and QFC left to shop at, I think. The
Albertsons has closed. There is a small International food store that might
have it. Not sure. I only went there once. But seeing as how I don't live
in the city proper, I have no need to go there most of the time so do my
shopping elsewhere.

> No one has mentioned (that I know of) in this thread, if you buy the small
> 6 oz. cans (I buy Contadina brand and the ingredients are simply
> *tomatoes*) you can freeze the remaining tomato paste. About all I ever
> need is 1-2 Tbs. at a time. Then you have half a can left. Spoon it out
> and freeze it in Tbs. portions.

That has been mentioned repeatedly! Pay attention.

> The tube tomato paste is handy but does cost more. I don't use tomato
> paste often enough to matter unless I'm making something like a pot of
> vegetable beef soup.

Yes, it does cost more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 13:03:25 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>>I stick my leftover paste in a certain 2 oz. Rubbermaid and it lives on
>>the freezer door. It's a breeze to cut out a T or so. Oh, doncha know?
>>It's illegal to do that on Planet Bove.

> I don't think there's enough room in her freezer.

I use precious little tomato sauce ever. As I said, I did get a tube but
only because I got it for cheap. I think I got it at Big Lots. Most of the
time it is expensive. And chances are great that the tube will never be
opened. That's how little I use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2014-09-17, Janet > wrote:
>>
>>> I also fail to see how most people would not know of the tube's

>> existence. I have been buying it like that since the 1980's.
>>
>> Contradiction alert.

> Europe is not the same as the USofA, alert!!
>
> We do see Euro made tubes, occasionally, ina deli or high-end sprmkt
> or food specialty store, but for the most part, US tomato paste
> tradionally comes in a unique-to-itself 6 oz can. Usually either
> Contadina, Hunt's, Del Monte, etc. But, we know a good thing when we
> see it, so tubes WILL become more common. OTOH, not always a good
> idea. I've bought two tubes of Euro anchovie paste, both in metallic
> tubes, both having a distinct metallic flavor. I tossed both.

And even in the US, not all parts are the same. I'm sure that paste in a
tube is much more common in places like NY where they have a large Italian
population.

I know exactly two Italian Americans here. My husband and the other woman I
mentioned. She is from NY.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2014 3:34 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 4:02:04 AM UTC-10, notbob wrote:
>> On 2014-09-17, dsi1 > wrote:
>>

>>> of those things that when you finally have the perfect use for it, you

>>> can't find it!

>> heh heh......
>>

>> I've got a couple of those, one ginger and one lemon grass.
>>
>> Surprisingly, they work pretty darn good. Not only extremely handy,
>>
>> but the only way I can find lemon grass in any form, out here in the
>>
>> boonies. They also last a long time. My lemon grass is over one yr
>>
>> old and has not spoiled. I may buy a few more tubed herbs, they
>>
>> becoming more popular/available with the sprmkts in our area.
>>

>> I will point out that pickled ginger (like for sushi) works better
>>
>> than this tubed ginger for retaining a ginger flavor in cooked
>>
>> dishes. I bought the sushi ginger after forgetting I had the tubed
>>
>> ginger in the fridge.
>>

>> nb

> Personally, I'd like to have green herbs in paste form or in oil. It's too much hassle for me to keep fresh herbs around. Most of the time they get thrown away. The pickled ginger goes great with sushi, or rather, between sushis.

Ask and ye shall receive, or at least know of:

http://na.gourmetgarden.com/us/

At Gourmet Garden, we are passionate about making herbs and spices easy
for everyday cooking.
Our herbs are grown in the rich soil of organic farms on the Sunshine
Coast of Australia. Within 24 hours of harvesting they are simply
washed, chopped, blended and packed into tubes guaranteeing their fresh
taste and nutrition for up to 3 months. Gourmet Garden’s wide range of
herbs including Basil, Cilantro, Chili Pepper, Dill, Garlic, Ginger,
Italian Herbs, Lemon Grass, Parsley and Oregano can be found in the
fresh produce section of your local supermarket.

And they come here all the way from Oz, which would be a shorter ride to
you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 3:22:06 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

>> > On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 10:23:12 -0400, Brooklyn1

>> > snip

>> > A tablespoon or so may be used to add additional caramelized flavor to

>> > a pan of something like onions, peppers, garlic that you are building

>> > into a dish. The dish doesn't have to be a tomato-centric dish and

>> > probably isn't. Did that make sense?

>> > Janet US

>> There is also Chinese Tomato Beef. It uses a beef gravy with a touch of
>>
>> tomato paste. It is a very thick and flavorful sauce. I knew there was
>>
>> something I used that paste for. That was it! Sadly, nobody else in
>> this
>>
>> house likes that stuff. So I have to either make it for myself and eat
>> it
>>
>> for days on end or make it for a potluck. I did that once and I had no
>>
>> leftovers to take home. Really good stuff!

> I love beef tomato. I used to make it quite frequently. I should make it
> again.

That is one of my all time favorite foods. And one that isn't served in
most Chinese restaurants here. I could get it pretty much anywhere in the
International district in Seattle, but not out here. I know of two places
in Edmonds that make it but only one makes it well.

Oddly enough the recipe I had for it came from a tiny little cookbook that
was being sold by a neighbor kid for his school. I did not keep the
cookbook as it was the only recipe in the book that I used. Wish I had kept
it though as it was a super good recipe. Most of what I see online calls
for weird stuff that shouldn't be in there, like fish sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 08:22:22 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-09-17 7:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>

> >> It is very expensive here. The canned is cheap.

> > It is very inexpensive here. I can't think why it should be expensive.
> >

> A tube of tomato paste here is about four times the price of a can, and
> they typically hold about twice as much.

Those must be giant sized tubes. We have petit tubes here. Small
cans = 6oz, tube = 2.8oz and the tube is more than 5 times the price
of a small can.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 15:28:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 12:57:32 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Are you talking about passata? I do buy and use that but I don't use it
> >> in
> >> place of paste.

> > Passata is virtually unknown here. It might be available somewhere,
> > but I wouldn't know where.
> >

> I've never even heard of it.

I've only "heard" of it because I've seen the UK posters mention it
from time to time. More on FB than here. In any case I have it and
now I need to figure out how to use it. If hubby could eat shellfish
- I'd make shellfish marinara. I supposed I could anyway with
calamari and fish, but it wouldn't be as satisfying as shrimp,
scallops and mussels. Must google for recipes that call for passata
and see if anything speaks to me.

Ketchup + + Gary General Cooking 73 20-01-2014 03:57 PM
For The Ketchup Boy Lou Decruss General Cooking 12 06-02-2010 03:00 AM
Ketchup was ( See? It's not just me) Andy General Cooking 1 12-05-2006 03:19 PM
Ketchup Mike \Piedmont\ Recipes (moderated) 0 12-11-2005 03:14 AM
Ketchup ~patches~ General Cooking 4 13-09-2005 02:42 PM