Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Still OK

wrote:

>>> That is quibbling, what the heart says and what the flag says are two
>>> different things.
>>>

>> Perhaps, but Scots are very proud and very independent folks, to a one I
>> have found.

> "It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a
> grievance and a ray of sunshine." P.G.Woodhouse.

:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

>I would be more interested in a tour that spent less time in cities and
>more time in the countryside.

Visit me... doesn't get more rural.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/31/2014 11:25 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> That's pretty far! Someday I hope to travel all of the British Isles.
> I'm watching "Outlander" and Scotland intrigues me.

Have you read the books? The series is well done, but the books are
better (although I have a few quibbles with some of the geography).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> That is quibbling, what the heart says and what the flag says are two
>>> different things.
>>>

>> Perhaps, but Scots are very proud and very independent folks, to a one I
>> have found.

> "It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance
> and a ray of sunshine." P.G.Woodhouse.

lol
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 8/31/2014 11:25 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> That's pretty far! Someday I hope to travel all of the British Isles.
>> I'm watching "Outlander" and Scotland intrigues me.
>>

> Have you read the books? The series is well done, but the books are better
> (although I have a few quibbles with some of the geography).

And that is from the 'real' Scot posting here)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/31/2014 9:00 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> I would be more interested in a tour that spent less time in cities an
> more time in the countryside.

Come to the far north!

> Are there really circles of Druid Stones like in the TV show?

There are stone circles and stone rows, all over the place - there's a
stone row very near me, incorporated into a much more recent drystane dyke.
I believe they predate Druids.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article m>,
says...

> I would be more interested in a tour that spent less time in cities an
> more time in the countryside.

Well, without doing any city sights, you could have a wonderful time
in the magnificent mountain- sea- and land-scapes of Scotland, and still
see lots of fascinating ancient monuments going back 4000 years and
numerous castles only a thousand years old or so.

> Are there really circles of Druid Stones like in the TV show?

yes, they are very common...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...es_in_Scotland

I did a
> lot of reading of Celtic Literature (Ireland) when I was in college and
> I'm ashamed to say, other than from Elizabethan times and wars and such,
> I know so little about Scotland. I do know that Scots are brave and
> resourceful people and those who came to America helped make this
> country what it is (or was, depending on your politics)

Winston Churchill once said, ?Of all the small nations on earth,
perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution
to mankind.?

Just a few of the ways Scottish explorers, inventors, engineering,
medicine, arts, education and philosophy changed the world ...

http://www.magicdragon.com/Wallace/thingscot.html

http://www.scotland.org/features/the...ent-the-wheel/

And back on food.. Scotland produces some of the finest meat, seafood,
dairy, alcohol and recipes in the world.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2014 3:01 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 8/31/2014 11:25 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> That's pretty far! Someday I hope to travel all of the British Isles.
>> I'm watching "Outlander" and Scotland intrigues me.
>>

> Have you read the books? The series is well done, but the books are
> better (although I have a few quibbles with some of the geography).

Haven't read them. Still in the middle of John Jakes' Bicentennial series

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2014 5:29 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 8/31/2014 9:00 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> I would be more interested in a tour that spent less time in cities an
>> more time in the countryside.
>>

> Come to the far north!
>
>> Are there really circles of Druid Stones like in the TV show?
>>

> There are stone circles and stone rows, all over the place - there's a
> stone row very near me, incorporated into a much more recent drystane dyke.
> I believe they predate Druids.

Don't go dancing there on Samhain! :-)

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-Tal...-48120089.html

> My father was born in Kingston, Jamaica (my grandfather was army) and
> we were definitely wandering Scots. Even in the loneliest outpost in
> the Malayan jungle, you could find a Scot -

You being a case in point <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2014 14:50:42 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..

>>> There are many scattered about, even over in Europe. On the small
>>> island of Menorca there are some and I believe there is some magical
>>> format as to their progression across the globe.

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-Tal...-48120089.html

>>> My father was born in Kingston, Jamaica (my grandfather was army) and
>>> we were definitely wandering Scots. Even in the loneliest outpost in
>>> the Malayan jungle, you could find a Scot -

>>You being a case in point <g>
>>

>>> They came here to Nova Scotia en masse during the Highland Clearances
>>> escaping extreme poverty and when we came in 1967 there were still
>>> people in Cape Breton who only spoke Gaelic. We still have a Gaelic
>>> College, Highland Games, piping competitions, we are indeed a new
>>> Scotland.

> The best my father did was get the Tokyo Police Pipe Band going, then
> they wanted kilts and he procured them and it was the weirdest thing
> to see them marching down the Ginza, in kilts, a piping
>
> None so Scottish as them what don't live there

That is SO true)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2014 9:15 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 9/1/2014 5:29 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> On 8/31/2014 9:00 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>> I would be more interested in a tour that spent less time in cities an
>>> more time in the countryside.
>>>

>> Come to the far north!
>>
>>> Are there really circles of Druid Stones like in the TV show?
>>>

>> There are stone circles and stone rows, all over the place - there's a
>> stone row very near me, incorporated into a much more recent drystane
>> dyke.
>> I believe they predate Druids.

> Don't go dancing there on Samhain! :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2014 9:12 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 9/1/2014 3:01 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> On 8/31/2014 11:25 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>>> That's pretty far! Someday I hope to travel all of the British Isles.
>>> I'm watching "Outlander" and Scotland intrigues me.
>>>

>> Have you read the books? The series is well done, but the books are
>> better (although I have a few quibbles with some of the geography).

> Haven't read them. Still in the middle of John Jakes' Bicentennial series

There are eight of them, so far - and they're big, fat volumes. There
are also some 'normal' sized books on peripheral characters, and a few
novellas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 06:29:03 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 8/31/2014 9:00 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> I would be more interested in a tour that spent less time in cities an
>> more time in the countryside.
>>

>Come to the far north!
>
>> Are there really circles of Druid Stones like in the TV show?
>>

>There are stone circles and stone rows, all over the place - there's a
>stone row very near me, incorporated into a much more recent drystane dyke.
>I believe they predate Druids.

That sort of thing fascinates me. I've always wanted to see if I
could put my hand on such a ruin and connect with the past. It's
fanciful, I know, but I've always been taken with the idea.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2014 9:15 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 9/1/2014 5:29 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> On 8/31/2014 9:00 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>>> I would be more interested in a tour that spent less time in cities an
>>> more time in the countryside.
>>>

>> Come to the far north!
>>
>>> Are there really circles of Druid Stones like in the TV show?
>>>

>> There are stone circles and stone rows, all over the place - there's a
>> stone row very near me, incorporated into a much more recent drystane
>> dyke.
>> I believe they predate Druids.
>>

> Don't go dancing there on Samhain! :-)

You might get sucked into the stones!

Sorry, I haven't been watching the show but I read the Diana Gabaldon
books years ago. Fun stuff.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2014 9:12 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 9/1/2014 3:01 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> On 8/31/2014 11:25 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>>> That's pretty far! Someday I hope to travel all of the British Isles.
>>> I'm watching "Outlander" and Scotland intrigues me.
>>>

>> Have you read the books? The series is well done, but the books are
>> better (although I have a few quibbles with some of the geography).

> Haven't read them. Still in the middle of John Jakes' Bicentennial series

Oh gosh. I donated Jakes' Bicentennial series to the Dataw "library" a
couple of years ago. After re-reading them, of course.

You really should read Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. I haven't
seen the TV show (I'm not even sure if my cable carries that channel)
but the books are outstanding.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2014 9:47 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 9/1/2014 9:12 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> Have you read the books? The series is well done, but the books are
>>> better (although I have a few quibbles with some of the geography).

>> Haven't read them. Still in the middle of John Jakes' Bicentennial
>> series
>>

> There are eight of them, so far - and they're big, fat volumes. There
> are also some 'normal' sized books on peripheral characters, and a few
> novellas.

I have all eight. I'm on number four.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2014 10:58 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 06:29:03 -0400, S Viemeister
> > wrote:
>
>> On 8/31/2014 9:00 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>>> I would be more interested in a tour that spent less time in cities an
>>> more time in the countryside.
>>>

>> Come to the far north!
>>
>>> Are there really circles of Druid Stones like in the TV show?
>>>

>> There are stone circles and stone rows, all over the place - there's a
>> stone row very near me, incorporated into a much more recent drystane dyke.
>> I believe they predate Druids.

> That sort of thing fascinates me. I've always wanted to see if I
> could put my hand on such a ruin and connect with the past. It's
> fanciful, I know, but I've always been taken with the idea.
> Janet US

When I put my hand on the Western Wall in Jerusalem, I could feel the
sensation of a millennia of DNA passing through my fingers and up my arm
to my heart.

It may sound foolish to some people, but I DID feel it and I could
hardly breathe. I cried buckets of tears, but I was not sad.

It was one of the most meaningful experiences in my life.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2014 11:43 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/1/2014 9:12 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> Have you read the books? The series is well done, but the books are
>>> better (although I have a few quibbles with some of the geography).

>> Haven't read them. Still in the middle of John Jakes' Bicentennial
>> series
>>

> Oh gosh. I donated Jakes' Bicentennial series to the Dataw "library" a
> couple of years ago. After re-reading them, of course.
>
> You really should read Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. I haven't
> seen the TV show (I'm not even sure if my cable carries that channel)
> but the books are outstanding.
>
> Jill

I'll put them on the list.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2014 5:22 AM, JohnJohn wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2014 12:13:04 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
>> In article m>,
>> says...
>>>

>>> I would be more interested in a tour that spent less time in cities an
>>> more time in the countryside.

>> Well, without doing any city sights, you could have a wonderful time
>> in the magnificent mountain- sea- and land-scapes of Scotland, and still
>> see lots of fascinating ancient monuments going back 4000 years and
>> numerous castles only a thousand years old or so.
>>
>>> Are there really circles of Druid Stones like in the TV show?

>> yes, they are very common...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...es_in_Scotland

>> I did a
>>> lot of reading of Celtic Literature (Ireland) when I was in college and
>>> I'm ashamed to say, other than from Elizabethan times and wars and such,
>>> I know so little about Scotland. I do know that Scots are brave and
>>> resourceful people and those who came to America helped make this
>>> country what it is (or was, depending on your politics)

>> Winston Churchill once said, ?Of all the small nations on earth,
>> perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution
>> to mankind.?

> After how many martinis was that?

Enough to help win WW2?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2014 6:59 AM, wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 20:00:57 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/31/2014 6:46 PM, Janet wrote:
>>> In article >,

says...

>>> They are not that far apart, so I wonder why her tour had her changing
>>> hotels and sandwiching Glasgow in between? She had four nights in G and
>>> only 5, (split) in E.
>>>
>>> Probably because Glasgow hosted the Commonwealth Games this summer,
>>> The Festival and fringe are on in Edinburgh, so both cities have been
>>> packed with visitors.
>>>
>>> Because of the pressure on hotels, tours probably found it hard to
>>> dovetail available dates in each (and sidestep premium prices on peak
>>> demand).
>>>
>>> Janet UK
>>>

>> I would be more interested in a tour that spent less time in cities an
>> more time in the countryside.
>>
>> Are there really circles of Druid Stones like in the TV show? I did a
>> lot of reading of Celtic Literature (Ireland) when I was in college and
>> I'm ashamed to say, other than from Elizabethan times and wars and such,
>> I know so little about Scotland. I do know that Scots are brave and
>> resourceful people and those who came to America helped make this
>> country what it is (or was, depending on your politics)

> There are many scattered about, even over in Europe. On the small
> island of Menorca there are some and I believe there is some magical
> format as to their progression across the globe.

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-Tal...-48120089.html

> My father was born in Kingston, Jamaica (my grandfather was army) and
> we were definitely wandering Scots. Even in the loneliest outpost in
> the Malayan jungle, you could find a Scot -
>
> They came here to Nova Scotia en masse during the Highland Clearances
> escaping extreme poverty and when we came in 1967 there were still
> people in Cape Breton who only spoke Gaelic. We still have a Gaelic
> College, Highland Games, piping competitions, we are indeed a new
> Scotland.

That is fascinating lineage for sure.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2014 11:15 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 9/1/2014 10:58 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 06:29:03 -0400, S Viemeister
>> > wrote:

>>> Come to the far north!

>>> There are stone circles and stone rows, all over the place - there's a
>>> stone row very near me, incorporated into a much more recent drystane
>>> dyke.
>>> I believe they predate Druids.

>> That sort of thing fascinates me. I've always wanted to see if I
>> could put my hand on such a ruin and connect with the past. It's
>> fanciful, I know, but I've always been taken with the idea.
>> Janet US
>>

> When I put my hand on the Western Wall in Jerusalem, I could feel the
> sensation of a millennia of DNA passing through my fingers and up my arm
> to my heart.
>
> It may sound foolish to some people, but I DID feel it and I could
> hardly breathe. I cried buckets of tears, but I was not sad.
>
> It was one of the most meaningful experiences in my life.

Wow, such power from aeons passed, cool.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 12:15:11 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>On 9/1/2014 10:58 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 06:29:03 -0400, S Viemeister
>> > wrote:

>>> Come to the far north!

>>> There are stone circles and stone rows, all over the place - there's a
>>> stone row very near me, incorporated into a much more recent drystane dyke.
>>> I believe they predate Druids.

>> That sort of thing fascinates me. I've always wanted to see if I
>> could put my hand on such a ruin and connect with the past. It's
>> fanciful, I know, but I've always been taken with the idea.
>> Janet US
>>

>When I put my hand on the Western Wall in Jerusalem, I could feel the
>sensation of a millennia of DNA passing through my fingers and up my arm
>to my heart.
>
>It may sound foolish to some people, but I DID feel it and I could
>hardly breathe. I cried buckets of tears, but I was not sad.
>
>It was one of the most meaningful experiences in my life.

I'm glad to know it can be done. I think that must be why people
become archeologists. The wonder and need to touch people of the
past. It becomes more obvious each year with overhead mapping and
various new methods of discovery, that this planet has been almost
covered with previous civilizations and that those people were not as
primitive as we have previously painted them.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2014 3:52 PM, JohnJohn wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 11:18:14 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...es_in_Scotland

>>> After how many martinis was that?
>>>

>> Enough to help win WW2?

> Still an alcoholic.

High functioning one too!

So?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2014 4:57 PM, JohnJohn wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 16:40:53 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...es_in_Scotland

>>> Still an alcoholic.
>>>

>> High functioning one too!
>>
>> So?

> So I asked how many martinis he had consumed before he made his
> statement about the Scots. It might affect his credibility!

That was a sneaky maneuver...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 01/09/2014 4:18 PM, wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 11:18:14 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

says...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...es_in_Scotland

>>> After how many martinis was that?
>>>

>> Enough to help win WW2?

> If you look up the list of Scottish inventors it is quite fantastic -

They were forced to invent something to relieve them of their miserable
existence!
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2014 7:08 PM, graham wrote:
> On 01/09/2014 4:18 PM, wrote:

says...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...es_in_Scotland

>>> Enough to help win WW2?

>> If you look up the list of Scottish inventors it is quite fantastic -
>>

> They were forced to invent something to relieve them of their miserable
> existence!
> Graham

Englishmen?