Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Eternal September

Does anyone know what's going on with it? Trouble began almost two days ago for me. I have written to them twice (two different email addresses) and no response. At one point I could not lot in as it said I had no account. I had to reapply for the account. I see that I am not the only one with this problem. In poking around on their website and transferring from German to English, I see the same problem but I don't know enough about what I was reading to tell who that was from. I think it might be someone who works for them.

I also checked he

http://www.websitedown.info/eternal-september.org

For the most part it indicates that they have been down. They were up for maybe 10 minutes in the middle of the night. I have tried every address that they list plus the appropriate port. Either I get a TCP/IP problem where the server is terminating the connection, or it is telling me to log in and nothing happens when I do that. I know that I am using the correct use name and log in.

I can not log into my account on their website:

http://www.eternal-september.org/

Once again it is telling me that I do not have an account yet I have the email confirmation of the account. Oddly enough, the website itself is up and running. It just seems to be the newsgroups that are screwed up. I can't access anything.

And I freaking hate Google Groups so I am making this post out of desperation although it is high possible that others who are having the same problem may not see this post since they may not come here. I will try to check back on this post. I may even reply to this post. But it's too much of a PITA to use GG so I won't be replying to any other posts and probably won't be reading them through here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 28, 2014 8:02:27 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> Does anyone know what's going on with it? Trouble began almost two days ago for me. I have written to them twice (two different email addresses) and no response. At one point I could not lot in as it said I had no account. I had to reapply for the account. I see that I am not the only one with this problem. In poking around on their website and transferring from German to English, I see the same problem but I don't know enough about what I was reading to tell who that was from. I think it might be someone who works for them.
>

> I also checked he
>

> http://www.websitedown.info/eternal-september.org
>

> For the most part it indicates that they have been down. They were up for maybe 10 minutes in the middle of the night. I have tried every address that they list plus the appropriate port. Either I get a TCP/IP problem where the server is terminating the connection, or it is telling me to log in and nothing happens when I do that. I know that I am using the correct use name and log in.
>

> I can not log into my account on their website:
>

> http://www.eternal-september.org/
>

> Once again it is telling me that I do not have an account yet I have the email confirmation of the account. Oddly enough, the website itself is up and running. It just seems to be the newsgroups that are screwed up. I can't access anything.
>

> And I freaking hate Google Groups so I am making this post out of desperation although it is high possible that others who are having the same problem may not see this post since they may not come here. I will try to check back on this post. I may even reply to this post. But it's too much of a PITA to use GG so I won't be replying to any other posts and probably won't be reading them through here.

Best readable postings I've seen from Julie for years but she won't use Google Groups unless its an emergency.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 28, 2014 7:02:27 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> Does anyone know what's going on with it? Trouble began almost two days ago for me. I have written to them twice (two different email addresses) and no response. At one point I could not lot in as it said I had no account. I had to reapply for the account. I see that I am not the only one with this problem. In poking around on their website and transferring from German to English, I see the same problem but I don't know enough about what I was reading to tell who that was from. I think it might be someone who works for them.
>

> I also checked he
>

> http://www.websitedown.info/eternal-september.org
>

> For the most part it indicates that they have been down. They were up for maybe 10 minutes in the middle of the night. I have tried every address that they list plus the appropriate port. Either I get a TCP/IP problem where the server is terminating the connection, or it is telling me to log in and nothing happens when I do that. I know that I am using the correct use name and log in.
>

> I can not log into my account on their website:
>

> http://www.eternal-september.org/
>

> Once again it is telling me that I do not have an account yet I have the email confirmation of the account. Oddly enough, the website itself is up and running. It just seems to be the newsgroups that are screwed up. I can't access anything.
>

> And I freaking hate Google Groups so I am making this post out of desperation although it is high possible that others who are having the same problem may not see this post since they may not come here. I will try to check back on this post. I may even reply to this post. But it's too much of a PITA to use GG so I won't be replying to any other posts and probably won't be reading them through here.

---

They have had outages. I just don't remember one for this long. Normally when they go down it is only for part of the day to perhaps 24 hours. And I don't remember a lot of them.

As for posting through here, it is truly a PITA as is reading the posts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> They have had outages. I just don't remember one for this long. Normally
> when they go down it is only for part of the day to perhaps 24 hours. And
> I don't remember a lot of them.
>
> As for posting through here, it is truly a PITA as is reading the posts.

I am using ES with no problem atm. They do have outages though which is why
I also have NIN

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> They have had outages. I just don't remember one for this long.
>> Normally when they go down it is only for part of the day to perhaps 24
>> hours. And I don't remember a lot of them.
>>
>> As for posting through here, it is truly a PITA as is reading the posts.

> I am using ES with no problem atm. They do have outages though which is
> why I also have NIN

I will look into NIN. I don't know what the problem was but it's working
now. I had tried to get another free one. I won't pay for Usenet. Would
just as soon do without than pay. I saw AOIE or maybe I have those letters
jumbled. I did have it before but switched when they put strict posting
limits. Most of what I saw allowed viewing but not posting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>>> They have had outages. I just don't remember one for this long.
>>> Normally when they go down it is only for part of the day to perhaps 24
>>> hours. And I don't remember a lot of them.
>>>
>>> As for posting through here, it is truly a PITA as is reading the posts.

>> I am using ES with no problem atm. They do have outages though which is
>> why I also have NIN

> I will look into NIN. I don't know what the problem was but it's working
> now. I had tried to get another free one. I won't pay for Usenet. Would
> just as soon do without than pay. I saw AOIE or maybe I have those
> letters jumbled. I did have it before but switched when they put strict
> posting limits. Most of what I saw allowed viewing but not posting.

I pay for NIN Euros 10 a year (must be close to dollars)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/14, 10:02 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Does anyone know what's going on with it? Trouble began almost two days ago for me....

I use ES constantly, and no recent problems here.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 23:09:57 -0700 (PDT), Julie Bove
> wrote:

> They have had outages. I just don't remember one for this long. Normally when they go down it is only for part of a day to perhaps 24 hours. And I don't remember a lot of them.
>
> As for posting through here, it is truly a PITA as is reading the posts.

Why don't you buy a block account somewhere? Then you'll have
something to switch to when ES goes out. You can get 25 GB for $10
and there is no time limit for using it. I've had my 25 GB account
for years and have barely made a dent in it, because I pretty much
keep it to text. I'm sure it would be a different story if I used
binary groups heavily, but I don't. I was doing clip art and garden
binaries for a while when I had a monthly data limit and found out how
quickly they gobble it up.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 13:46:24 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "Julia Bove" > wrote in message

> >> I am using ES with no problem atm. They do have outages though which is
> >> why I also have NIN

> > I will look into NIN. I don't know what the problem was but it's working
> > now. I had tried to get another free one. I won't pay for Usenet. Would
> > just as soon do without than pay. I saw AOIE or maybe I have those
> > letters jumbled. I did have it before but switched when they put strict
> > posting limits. Most of what I saw allowed viewing but not posting.

> I pay for NIN Euros 10 a year (must be close to dollars)

Did someone set it up for you or did you do it yourself? I looked at
it a long time ago, but it required a degree in computer science to
get set up.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 13:46:24 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>> > I will look into NIN. I don't know what the problem was but it's
>> > working
>> > now. I had tried to get another free one. I won't pay for Usenet.
>> > Would
>> > just as soon do without than pay. I saw AOIE or maybe I have those
>> > letters jumbled. I did have it before but switched when they put
>> > strict
>> > posting limits. Most of what I saw allowed viewing but not posting.

>> I pay for NIN Euros 10 a year (must be close to dollars)

> Did someone set it up for you or did you do it yourself? I looked at
> it a long time ago, but it required a degree in computer science to
> get set up.

??? No! I did it myself! Perhaps it has been simplified since you looked,
but I've had my account for years.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 4:02 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Does anyone know what's going on with it? Trouble began almost two days ago for me. I have written to them twice (two different email addresses) and no response. At one point I could not lot in as it said I had no account. I had to reapply for the account. I see that I am not the only one with this problem. In poking around on their website and transferring from German to English, I see the same problem but I don't know enough about what I was reading to tell who that was from. I think it might be someone who works for them.
>
> I also checked he
>
> http://www.websitedown.info/eternal-september.org
>
> For the most part it indicates that they have been down. They were up for maybe 10 minutes in the middle of the night. I have tried every address that they list plus the appropriate port. Either I get a TCP/IP problem where the server is terminating the connection, or it is telling me to log in and nothing happens when I do that. I know that I am using the correct use name and log in.
>
> I can not log into my account on their website:
>
> http://www.eternal-september.org/
>
> Once again it is telling me that I do not have an account yet I have the email confirmation of the account. Oddly enough, the website itself is up and running. It just seems to be the newsgroups that are screwed up. I can't access anything.
>
> And I freaking hate Google Groups so I am making this post out of desperation although it is high possible that others who are having the same problem may not see this post since they may not come here. I will try to check back on this post. I may even reply to this post. But it's too much of a PITA to use GG so I won't be replying to any other posts and probably won't be reading them through here.

I expect it to get worse. Using a desktop client for communication is an
anachronism in this day of the mobile device. What problem are you
having with Google Groups? Freaking hating a program seems to be an
overreaction.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 19:52:49 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 13:46:24 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:

> >> I pay for NIN Euros 10 a year (must be close to dollars)

> > Did someone set it up for you or did you do it yourself? I looked at
> > it a long time ago, but it required a degree in computer science to
> > get set up.

> ??? No! I did it myself! Perhaps it has been simplified since you looked,
> but I've had my account for years.

Could be. It was a long time ago.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 7:46 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Julia Bove" > wrote in message

>>> I am using ES with no problem atm. They do have outages though which
>>> is why I also have NIN

>> I will look into NIN. I don't know what the problem was but it's
>> working now. I had tried to get another free one. I won't pay for
>> Usenet. Would just as soon do without than pay. I saw AOIE or maybe
>> I have those letters jumbled. I did have it before but switched when
>> they put strict posting limits. Most of what I saw allowed viewing
>> but not posting.

> I pay for NIN Euros 10 a year (must be close to dollars)

I bought a chunk of data from Astraweb in 2005 for $10. I will never
have to add to that and I'll never use up those bytes. $10 for life is
pretty goood.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Julia Bove" > wrote in message

>>> I am using ES with no problem atm. They do have outages though which is
>>> why I also have NIN

>> I will look into NIN. I don't know what the problem was but it's working
>> now. I had tried to get another free one. I won't pay for Usenet.
>> Would just as soon do without than pay. I saw AOIE or maybe I have those
>> letters jumbled. I did have it before but switched when they put strict
>> posting limits. Most of what I saw allowed viewing but not posting.

> I pay for NIN Euros 10 a year (must be close to dollars)

Oh. Never mind then. I just won't pay for Usenet and if it eventually
comes down to that, I'll just do without.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On 7/28/14, 10:02 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Does anyone know what's going on with it? Trouble began almost two days
>> ago for me....

> I use ES constantly, and no recent problems here.
>
> -- Larry

Good for you! I kept getting a message that the site was down.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 05:23:05 -0700, Julia Bove wrote:
>
>> I will look into NIN. I don't know what the problem was but it's working
>> now. I had tried to get another free one. I won't pay for Usenet.
>> Would
>> just as soon do without than pay.

> Now THERE'S something to look forward to! I wouldn't mind if E-S shut
> down or went to a pay server model.
>
> -sw

~

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 23:09:57 -0700 (PDT), Julie Bove
> > wrote:
>

>> They have had outages. I just don't remember one for this long.
>> Normally when they go down it is only for part of a day to perhaps 24
>> hours. And I don't remember a lot of them.
>>
>> As for posting through here, it is truly a PITA as is reading the posts.

> Why don't you buy a block account somewhere? Then you'll have
> something to switch to when ES goes out. You can get 25 GB for $10
> and there is no time limit for using it. I've had my 25 GB account
> for years and have barely made a dent in it, because I pretty much
> keep it to text. I'm sure it would be a different story if I used
> binary groups heavily, but I don't. I was doing clip art and garden
> binaries for a while when I had a monthly data limit and found out how
> quickly they gobble it up.

Usenet is dying off. I use to post to quite a few newsgroups. I currently
only have 7 downloaded and this is really the only one I post to on a
regular basis. The others are so dead that there are few to no posts and
the home repair one is one that I do read, but don't often have a need to
post to. I'm just not willing to pay for that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 13:46:24 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>> > I will look into NIN. I don't know what the problem was but it's
>> > working
>> > now. I had tried to get another free one. I won't pay for Usenet.
>> > Would
>> > just as soon do without than pay. I saw AOIE or maybe I have those
>> > letters jumbled. I did have it before but switched when they put
>> > strict
>> > posting limits. Most of what I saw allowed viewing but not posting.

>> I pay for NIN Euros 10 a year (must be close to dollars)

> Did someone set it up for you or did you do it yourself? I looked at
> it a long time ago, but it required a degree in computer science to
> get set up.

I've had that problem with some of them. Far too complicated!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote in news:d66dc074-a53b-4599-9375-
> :
>
>> Does anyone know what's going on with it?

> Try Individual News. I've been using them for meny years with no problem.
> Unlike ES, costs ~$10 a year. Well worth it. They're out of Germany.

Thanks, but I won't pay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 7/28/2014 4:02 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Does anyone know what's going on with it? Trouble began almost two days
>> ago for me. I have written to them twice (two different email addresses)
>> and no response. At one point I could not lot in as it said I had no
>> account. I had to reapply for the account. I see that I am not the only
>> one with this problem. In poking around on their website and
>> transferring from German to English, I see the same problem but I don't
>> know enough about what I was reading to tell who that was from. I think
>> it might be someone who works for them.
>>
>> I also checked he
>>
>> http://www.websitedown.info/eternal-september.org
>>
>> For the most part it indicates that they have been down. They were up
>> for maybe 10 minutes in the middle of the night. I have tried every
>> address that they list plus the appropriate port. Either I get a TCP/IP
>> problem where the server is terminating the connection, or it is telling
>> me to log in and nothing happens when I do that. I know that I am using
>> the correct use name and log in.
>>
>> I can not log into my account on their website:
>>
>> http://www.eternal-september.org/
>>
>> Once again it is telling me that I do not have an account yet I have the
>> email confirmation of the account. Oddly enough, the website itself is
>> up and running. It just seems to be the newsgroups that are screwed up.
>> I can't access anything.
>>
>> And I freaking hate Google Groups so I am making this post out of
>> desperation although it is high possible that others who are having the
>> same problem may not see this post since they may not come here. I will
>> try to check back on this post. I may even reply to this post. But it's
>> too much of a PITA to use GG so I won't be replying to any other posts
>> and probably won't be reading them through here.
>>

> I expect it to get worse. Using a desktop client for communication is an
> anachronism in this day of the mobile device. What problem are you having
> with Google Groups? Freaking hating a program seems to be an overreaction.

For one thing, it doesn't show the threads like my newsreader does. You get
the original post and if there are a lot of replies, you have to sort
through them all to get to the newest ones. If you can killfile, I don't
know how. I also couldn't figure out how to reply to a specific person. I
just don't like it in any way, shape or form.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 5:13:33 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message

> > On 7/28/2014 4:02 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> >> Does anyone know what's going on with it? Trouble began almost two days

> >> ago for me. I have written to them twice (two different email addresses)

> >> and no response. At one point I could not lot in as it said I had no

> >> account. I had to reapply for the account. I see that I am not the only

> >> one with this problem. In poking around on their website and

> >> transferring from German to English, I see the same problem but I don't

> >> know enough about what I was reading to tell who that was from. I think

> >> it might be someone who works for them.

> >> I also checked he

> >> http://www.websitedown.info/eternal-september.org

> >> For the most part it indicates that they have been down. They were up

> >> for maybe 10 minutes in the middle of the night. I have tried every

> >> address that they list plus the appropriate port. Either I get a TCP/IP

> >> problem where the server is terminating the connection, or it is telling

> >> me to log in and nothing happens when I do that. I know that I am using

> >> the correct use name and log in.

> >> I can not log into my account on their website:

> >> http://www.eternal-september.org/

> >> Once again it is telling me that I do not have an account yet I have the

> >> email confirmation of the account. Oddly enough, the website itself is

> >> up and running. It just seems to be the newsgroups that are screwed up.

> >> I can't access anything.

> >> And I freaking hate Google Groups so I am making this post out of

> >> desperation although it is high possible that others who are having the

> >> same problem may not see this post since they may not come here. I will

> >> try to check back on this post. I may even reply to this post. But it's

> >> too much of a PITA to use GG so I won't be replying to any other posts

> >> and probably won't be reading them through here.

> > I expect it to get worse. Using a desktop client for communication is an

> > anachronism in this day of the mobile device. What problem are you having

> > with Google Groups? Freaking hating a program seems to be an overreaction.

> For one thing, it doesn't show the threads like my newsreader does. You get
>
> the original post and if there are a lot of replies, you have to sort
>
> through them all to get to the newest ones. If you can killfile, I don't
>
> know how. I also couldn't figure out how to reply to a specific person. I
>
> just don't like it in any way, shape or form.

Well DUMB is DUMB. Its all threaded on my Google Groups and it is EASY to read the newest replies because they are not read yet. GG is not the problem...your brain is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 6:11:41 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> "KenK" > wrote in message

> > Julie Bove > wrote in news:d66dc074-a53b-4599-9375-

> > :

> >> Does anyone know what's going on with it?

> > Try Individual News. I've been using them for meny years with no problem.

> > Unlike ES, costs ~$10 a year. Well worth it. They're out of Germany.

> Thanks, but I won't pay.

You're a tease. You won't stop posting.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 5:13:33 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

>> > I expect it to get worse. Using a desktop client for communication is
>> > an

>> > anachronism in this day of the mobile device. What problem are you
>> > having

>> > with Google Groups? Freaking hating a program seems to be an
>> > overreaction.

>> For one thing, it doesn't show the threads like my newsreader does. You
>> get
>>
>> the original post and if there are a lot of replies, you have to sort
>>
>> through them all to get to the newest ones. If you can killfile, I don't
>>
>> know how. I also couldn't figure out how to reply to a specific person.
>>
>> just don't like it in any way, shape or form.

> Well DUMB is DUMB. Its all threaded on my Google Groups and it is EASY to
> read the newest replies because they are not read yet. GG is not the
> problem...your brain is.

They may be threaded but I have to see all of the replies. It's not at all
like a newsreader and I don't care for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 4:53 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> What problem are you having with Google Groups? Freaking hating a program seems to be an
> overreaction.

Google Groups is atrocious. It appears to have been created as an
afterthought. There is no method for blocking spam (the majority of
which seems to come from people with gmail accounts). Sure, you can
report them; fat lot of good it will do. The [lack of] formatting
sucks; the line spacing if you post a reply to someone who uses GG is
annoying as hell. How's that for starters?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 7:32 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 5:13:33 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I expect it to get worse. Using a desktop client for communication is an

>>> anachronism in this day of the mobile device. What problem are you having

>>> with Google Groups? Freaking hating a program seems to be an overreaction.

>> For one thing, it doesn't show the threads like my newsreader does. You get
>>
>> the original post and if there are a lot of replies, you have to sort
>>
>> through them all to get to the newest ones. If you can killfile, I don't
>>
>> know how. I also couldn't figure out how to reply to a specific person. I
>>
>> just don't like it in any way, shape or form.

> Well DUMB is DUMB. Its all threaded on my Google Groups and it is EASY to read the newest replies because they are not read yet. GG is not the problem...your brain is.

Can you see how Google Groups formatted your reply with all the
ridiculous line spacing and lack of line-wrapping? It's a PITA for
those of us who don't use GG.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 1:13 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> For one thing, it doesn't show the threads like my newsreader does. You
> get the original post and if there are a lot of replies, you have to
> sort through them all to get to the newest ones. If you can killfile, I
> don't know how. I also couldn't figure out how to reply to a specific
> person. I just don't like it in any way, shape or form.

There's good and bad to any program. I like how it cleans up the posts
so you don't have to wade through endless quoting. The biggest advantage
is that you can access and reply to the posts from any computer or
mobile device.

I don't know any way to killfile so if that's important to you, you're
out of luck. To reply to a person privately, just hit the pull-down
button next to the reply arrow and select "Reply privately to the
author." My guess is that only works if the poster has registered with
Google/Google Groups.

A major disadvantage with GG is that there's no way to quote when
replying to a post when using the mobile interface. You should expect to
see posts with no quoting with increasing frequency.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-29 19:07, Julie Bove wrote:

> Oh. Never mind then. I just won't pay for Usenet and if it eventually
> comes down to that, I'll just do without.

Why not? You post a couple hundred messages a week and get more than
enough abuse to boost your self esteem.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 2:34 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/29/2014 4:53 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> What problem are you having with Google Groups? Freaking hating a
>> program seems to be an
>> overreaction.

> Google Groups is atrocious. It appears to have been created as an
> afterthought. There is no method for blocking spam (the majority of
> which seems to come from people with gmail accounts). Sure, you can
> report them; fat lot of good it will do. The [lack of] formatting
> sucks; the line spacing if you post a reply to someone who uses GG is
> annoying as hell. How's that for starters?
>
> Jill

Spam has been a part of the Usenet long before GG. Google ain't to
blame. You can make complaints to the poster's HTTP server or Google
Groups but why would you want to spend your time in such a way? The
formatting problem is annoying but the sheer entertainment value of
folks blowing their tops over this small thing makes it all worthwhile. (-:
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/29/2014 4:53 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> What problem are you having with Google Groups? Freaking hating a program
>> seems to be an
>> overreaction.

> Google Groups is atrocious. It appears to have been created as an
> afterthought. There is no method for blocking spam (the majority of which
> seems to come from people with gmail accounts). Sure, you can report
> them; fat lot of good it will do. The [lack of] formatting sucks; the
> line spacing if you post a reply to someone who uses GG is annoying as
> hell. How's that for starters?
>
> Jill

I think those who use it regularly have never used a news reader so don't
know any better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 9:37 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/29/2014 2:34 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 7/29/2014 4:53 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>> What problem are you having with Google Groups? Freaking hating a
>>> program seems to be an
>>> overreaction.

>> Google Groups is atrocious. It appears to have been created as an
>> afterthought. There is no method for blocking spam (the majority of
>> which seems to come from people with gmail accounts). Sure, you can
>> report them; fat lot of good it will do. The [lack of] formatting
>> sucks; the line spacing if you post a reply to someone who uses GG is
>> annoying as hell. How's that for starters?
>>
>> Jill

> Spam has been a part of the Usenet long before GG. Google ain't to
> blame.

They're to blame because they don't do a thing to address it. You can
file a complaint ) but it won't do any good. No
one bothers to read that email, it's a dead letter drop. You may as
well write a letter to Santa.

> You can make complaints to the poster's HTTP server or Google
> Groups but why would you want to spend your time in such a way?

I don't. I use NIN for my usenet provider; they're very good about
filtering SPAM. I use a newsreader with killfile/filtering
capabilities. Heck, even Windows had that.

> formatting problem is annoying but the sheer entertainment value of
> folks blowing their tops over this small thing makes it all worthwhile. (-:

YMMV. I don't have to use GG so I really don't care.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 9:52 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 7/29/2014 4:53 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>> What problem are you having with Google Groups? Freaking hating a
>>> program seems to be an
>>> overreaction.

>> Google Groups is atrocious. It appears to have been created as an
>> afterthought. There is no method for blocking spam (the majority of
>> which seems to come from people with gmail accounts). Sure, you can
>> report them; fat lot of good it will do. The [lack of] formatting
>> sucks; the line spacing if you post a reply to someone who uses GG is
>> annoying as hell. How's that for starters?
>>
>> Jill

> I think those who use it regularly have never used a news reader so
> don't know any better.

Seems to me the people who wrote the GG interface for usenet had no idea
what usenet is. Simple concepts such as threading, quoting and basic
formatting completely escaped their comprehension.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 3:52 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 7/29/2014 4:53 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>> What problem are you having with Google Groups? Freaking hating a
>>> program seems to be an
>>> overreaction.

>> Google Groups is atrocious. It appears to have been created as an
>> afterthought. There is no method for blocking spam (the majority of
>> which seems to come from people with gmail accounts). Sure, you can
>> report them; fat lot of good it will do. The [lack of] formatting
>> sucks; the line spacing if you post a reply to someone who uses GG is
>> annoying as hell. How's that for starters?
>>
>> Jill

> I think those who use it regularly have never used a news reader so
> don't know any better.

This may be true or not. In my case, I post from different locations on
different machines. I'll use whatever is available. It's not a good idea
to be chained to one machine on a desktop. In your case, if you lose ES,
you're pretty much screwed. I won't place such limitations on myself.

As it goes, desktop clients and desktop machines running windows and the
network of NNTP servers are pretty much a throwback to the 90s. That
Shark guy convinced a lot of people to resist change and stay in the
past. He should have known what happens to a shark when it stops moving. (-:
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 4:08 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/29/2014 9:37 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> Google Groups is atrocious. It appears to have been created as an
>>> afterthought. There is no method for blocking spam (the majority of
>>> which seems to come from people with gmail accounts). Sure, you can
>>> report them; fat lot of good it will do. The [lack of] formatting
>>> sucks; the line spacing if you post a reply to someone who uses GG is
>>> annoying as hell. How's that for starters?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Spam has been a part of the Usenet long before GG. Google ain't to
>> blame.

> They're to blame because they don't do a thing to address it. You can
> file a complaint ) but it won't do any good. No
> one bothers to read that email, it's a dead letter drop. You may as
> well write a letter to Santa.

How would you know if you don't use Google Groups? They do have a way to
report a post as spam. It does not involve sending an email. You gotta
know your enemy and as it goes, you don't.

>> You can make complaints to the poster's HTTP server or Google
>> Groups but why would you want to spend your time in such a way?

> I don't. I use NIN for my usenet provider; they're very good about
> filtering SPAM. I use a newsreader with killfile/filtering
> capabilities. Heck, even Windows had that.
>
>> formatting problem is annoying but the sheer entertainment value of
>> folks blowing their tops over this small thing makes it all
>> worthwhile. (-:

> YMMV. I don't have to use GG so I really don't care.

You seem to care a whole lot - really.

> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2014-07-29 19:07, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> Oh. Never mind then. I just won't pay for Usenet and if it eventually
>> comes down to that, I'll just do without.

> Why not? You post a couple hundred messages a week and get more than
> enough abuse to boost your self esteem.

What? And you don't post at least that many?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 10:20 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/29/2014 4:08 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Spam has been a part of the Usenet long before GG. Google ain't to
>>> blame.

>> They're to blame because they don't do a thing to address it. You can
>> file a complaint ) but it won't do any good. No
>> one bothers to read that email, it's a dead letter drop. You may as
>> well write a letter to Santa.

> How would you know if you don't use Google Groups? They do have a way to
> report a post as spam. It does not involve sending an email. You gotta
> know your enemy and as it goes, you don't.
>

>>> You can make complaints to the poster's HTTP server or Google
>>> Groups but why would you want to spend your time in such a way?

>> I don't. I use NIN for my usenet provider; they're very good about
>> filtering SPAM. I use a newsreader with killfile/filtering
>> capabilities. Heck, even Windows had that.
>>
>>> formatting problem is annoying but the sheer entertainment value of
>>> folks blowing their tops over this small thing makes it all
>>> worthwhile. (-:

>> YMMV. I don't have to use GG so I really don't care.

> You seem to care a whole lot - really.

You know what? I'm a little tired and since I'm not all that interested
in Hawaii or your opinons about GG, see ya later.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 6:02 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>You know what? I'm a little tired and since I'm not all that interested
> in Hawaii or your opinons about GG, see ya later.
>
> Jill

Nanny nanny boo-boo. :-)