Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Menudo for Lunch

La Costena brand. Even if I could find honeycomb tripe I'd likely not
make menudo from scratch. I'm also not interested in buying a case of
it online... I don't shop for food online. No need for 12 cans of the
stuff. It's just an occasional craving.

I was out running some errands and stopped at the Tienda y Taqueria on
Saint Helena. I don't like going into that place (they pretend not to
speak English but I'm pretty sure they do). The local grocery stores
stopped carrying any brand of canned menudo a few years back.

The people who run the little market also don't believe in making
change. Each 29.5 oz. can (I'll get three bowls of soup out of that
can) was marked $4.99 but she said $10. I guess giving me back two
cents in change would be a hardship. (The last time I was in there I
was owed a quarter but she didn't give me that, either.) On the plus
side, they apparently don't believe in charging sales tax.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 11:34 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> La Costena brand. Even if I could find honeycomb tripe I'd likely not
> make menudo from scratch. I'm also not interested in buying a case of
> it online... I don't shop for food online. No need for 12 cans of the
> stuff. It's just an occasional craving.

There is a local carniceria/taqueria that serves Menudo on Saturday and
Sunday mornings and we'll go there once in a while for breakfast. It is
more of a meat market and grocery store... the "restaurant" portion has
only 8 tables.

A big bowl of Menudo is $5.99 and includes fresh corn tortillas which
they make after you order them. I get the soup, Becca usually gets some
breakfast tacos ($1.25 each).

Wonderful!

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 1:46 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 12:34:50 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On the plus
>> side, they apparently don't believe in charging sales tax.

> BTW, there is no sales tax on most groceries. Prepared food like
> George's bowl of menudo and Becca's breakfast tacos would be taxed,
> but not canned soup.
>
> -sw

Really? You don't pay sales tax on groceries? I've never lived
anywhere I wasn't charged sales tax for food.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 1:03 PM, George Leppla wrote:
> On 7/28/2014 11:34 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> La Costena brand. Even if I could find honeycomb tripe I'd likely not
>> make menudo from scratch. I'm also not interested in buying a case of
>> it online... I don't shop for food online. No need for 12 cans of the
>> stuff. It's just an occasional craving.

> There is a local carniceria/taqueria that serves Menudo on Saturday and
> Sunday mornings and we'll go there once in a while for breakfast. It is
> more of a meat market and grocery store... the "restaurant" portion has
> only 8 tables.

This place isn't a meat market nor do they have tables. I gather they
do serve some cooked food (like taco and quesadillas) to go, but since
they pretend not to understand me their loss. I have bought some oxaca
cheese and queso blanco cheeses there.

> A big bowl of Menudo is $5.99 and includes fresh corn tortillas which
> they make after you order them. I get the soup, Becca usually gets some
> breakfast tacos ($1.25 each).
>
> Wonderful!
>
> George L

Good for you.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-28, Sqwertz > wrote:

> is the feeling among the Mexican community that Americans should speak
> Spanish rather than them having to learn English.

Well, there's dumb and then there's stupid. Stupid is when one
discounts an entire sector of the paying public cuz they don't speak a
certain language.

The carniceria where I used to shop, no one spoke English. I didn't
speak Spanish. That never stopped the staff from treating me like a
long lost cousin and hanging on my every misunderstood word.
Eventually, we'd figure it out and I'd pay and they would thank me.
Pretty simple and good for their business, cuz I usta buy a lot of
their meats. I will say this was not the norm in the "Mexican
community".

As for the "Mexican community", they are not endearing themselves to
middle class America by insisting we learn their ways. Not gonna
happen. Some in the Mexican rights movement were savvy enough to tell
the protesters to stop carrying Mexican flags at major protest
marches.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 12:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> They would be sued if that were an American grocery store
> discriminating against Mexicans. A Mexican co-worker told me that it
> is the feeling among the Mexican community that Americans should speak
> Spanish rather than them having to learn English.

The town we live in is about 1/3 Hispanic. A far greater percentage of
the Hispanic are bi-lingual than the Caucasian population. I'd go so
far to say that the great majority of Hispanics living here also speak
at least a basic level of English. The reverse is far from true.... and
it is difficult for anyone to find a job here in town if you don't have
at least a rudimentary knowledge of either language.

I took Spanish for 2 years in High School and it is amazing how much you
remember when you want to... and how much more you pick up when you are
paying attention.

In our local Carniceria, we are often the only non-Hispanic people but
we are always welcomed with a smile and we never feel out of place.
Between my basic Spanish and a lot of pointing and gesturing, we always
get what we order. They recognize us and last week the cook came out
from behind the counter to wait on us when the waitress was busy with
others.

In a UN moment... a few years ago I went to a local dentist for an
urgent fix... and he is Vietnamese as is his partner. All their
employees are bi-lingual Hispanics... so it isn't unusual for have 3
different languages spoken in the same conversation.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 12:57 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/28/2014 1:46 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 12:34:50 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> On the plus
>>> side, they apparently don't believe in charging sales tax.

>> BTW, there is no sales tax on most groceries. Prepared food like
>> George's bowl of menudo and Becca's breakfast tacos would be taxed,
>> but not canned soup.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Really? You don't pay sales tax on groceries? I've never lived
> anywhere I wasn't charged sales tax for food.
>
> Jill

Most states don't charge sales tax on food. On paper goods, snack
foods, soda, etc. they do but not on meat and veggies and canned and
frozen goods. There are a few states that do and you must have lived in
all of them. :-)

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 12:34 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> The people who run the little market also don't believe in making
> change. Each 29.5 oz. can (I'll get three bowls of soup out of that
> can) was marked $4.99 but she said $10. I guess giving me back two
> cents in change would be a hardship. (The last time I was in there I
> was owed a quarter but she didn't give me that, either.) On the plus
> side, they apparently don't believe in charging sales tax.
>
> Jill

That is fine with me. I'd probably walk away before they got the
pennies out of the register. I've seen it done a lot, especially in
Europe where everything is rounded off. I even had a restaurant round
off a 52 Euro bill to 50 Euro. Pennies should be eliminated.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 1:02 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/28/2014 1:03 PM, George Leppla wrote:
>> On 7/28/2014 11:34 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> La Costena brand. Even if I could find honeycomb tripe I'd likely not
>>> make menudo from scratch. I'm also not interested in buying a case of
>>> it online... I don't shop for food online. No need for 12 cans of the
>>> stuff. It's just an occasional craving.

>> There is a local carniceria/taqueria that serves Menudo on Saturday and
>> Sunday mornings and we'll go there once in a while for breakfast. It is
>> more of a meat market and grocery store... the "restaurant" portion has
>> only 8 tables.
>>

> This place isn't a meat market nor do they have tables. I gather they
> do serve some cooked food (like taco and quesadillas) to go, but since
> they pretend not to understand me their loss. I have bought some oxaca
> cheese and queso blanco cheeses there.
>
>> A big bowl of Menudo is $5.99 and includes fresh corn tortillas which
>> they make after you order them. I get the soup, Becca usually gets some
>> breakfast tacos ($1.25 each).
>>
>> Wonderful!
>>
>> George L

> Good for you.
>
> Jill

Around here you can buy menudo at the convenience stores at gas stations.

When we first started to come here and went to a few Chinese buffets, we
were amazed to see menudo next to the won ton and hot and sour soup.

Plenty of frozen innards to make menudo in the grocery store, as well.
If it's not too spicy for me, it's pretty tasty. I'm a big fan of
"peasant food" of any culture.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 2:10 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 13:57:54 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

>>> BTW, there is no sales tax on most groceries. Prepared food like
>>> George's bowl of menudo and Becca's breakfast tacos would be taxed,
>>> but not canned soup.
>>>

>> Really? You don't pay sales tax on groceries? I've never lived
>> anywhere I wasn't charged sales tax for food.

> How long have you been living in South Carolina?!?!
>
> "South Carolina doesn't collect sales tax on purchases of most
> prescription drugs and groceries. Prepared Food is subject to special
> sales tax rates under South Carolina law. In most states, necessities
> such as groceries, clothes, and drugs are exempted from the sales tax
> or charged at a lower sales tax rate."
>
> http://www.tax-rates.org/south_carolina/sales-tax
>
> -sw

Uh... excuse me but despite what that says I'm charged sales tax on all
groceries. 6%.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 1:53 PM, George Leppla wrote:
> On 7/28/2014 12:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> They would be sued if that were an American grocery store
>> discriminating against Mexicans. A Mexican co-worker told me that it
>> is the feeling among the Mexican community that Americans should speak
>> Spanish rather than them having to learn English.

> The town we live in is about 1/3 Hispanic. A far greater percentage of
> the Hispanic are bi-lingual than the Caucasian population. I'd go so
> far to say that the great majority of Hispanics living here also speak
> at least a basic level of English. The reverse is far from true.... and
> it is difficult for anyone to find a job here in town if you don't have
> at least a rudimentary knowledge of either language.
>
> I took Spanish for 2 years in High School and it is amazing how much you
> remember when you want to... and how much more you pick up when you are
> paying attention.
>
> In our local Carniceria, we are often the only non-Hispanic people but
> we are always welcomed with a smile and we never feel out of place.
> Between my basic Spanish and a lot of pointing and gesturing, we always
> get what we order. They recognize us and last week the cook came out
> from behind the counter to wait on us when the waitress was busy with
> others.
>
> In a UN moment... a few years ago I went to a local dentist for an
> urgent fix... and he is Vietnamese as is his partner. All their
> employees are bi-lingual Hispanics... so it isn't unusual for have 3
> different languages spoken in the same conversation.
>
> George L

Living here in Borderland, the Spanish language is very much in use.
AAMOF, it's pretty much the norm in some areas (especially Brownsville)
to first be addressed in Spanish, then when you just stare or answer, in
Spanish, that you don't speak it, they go straight into perfect English.

It does not bother me except when I am the San Benito US Post Office.
It's a US Government facility and I should be first addressed in
English. If I don't understand, I am perfectly happy with Spanish, but
English should be first in a government facility.

A Tale from The Border:

One day I left my house with the GPS stuck on the inside of the
windshield. I crossed the road and the danged thing let go so I pulled
over to the shoulder and reset the suction cup. A Sheriff's car pulled
up and the officer came over to my window. He addressed me in Spanish:
"que passa" I answered: "no habla Espaniol" so he asked me in
English what I was doing there and I told him.

I thought the entire thing was a hoot.

Barry was dark-skinned and always had color from being outdoors, and
always had facial hair. I think more people addressed him in Spanish
first then ever did in English and that included the streets of The Bronx.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 3:02 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 14:16:31 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> Really? You don't pay sales tax on groceries? I've never lived
>>> anywhere I wasn't charged sales tax for food.

>> Most states don't charge sales tax on food. On paper goods, snack
>> foods, soda, etc. they do but not on meat and veggies and canned and
>> frozen goods. There are a few states that do and you must have lived in
>> all of them. :-)

> Her former state, Tennessee, charges sales tax on groceries, but at a
> lower rate than other items. On the plus side they only tax the first
> $1,600 of any single item (such as a car).
>
> -sw

I knew about the tax limit. Many of our Full-time RVing friends tagged
their vehicles in TN to save sales tax.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 3:01 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> It does not bother me except when I am the San Benito US Post Office.

San Benito... home to the country music legend Freddy Fender!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIOCfrgcon4

We actually looked at a few houses in San Benito when we were
considering moving to the Rio Grande Valley.

> One day I left my house with the GPS stuck on the inside of the
> windshield. I crossed the road and the danged thing let go so I pulled
> over to the shoulder and reset the suction cup. A Sheriff's car pulled
> up and the officer came over to my window. He addressed me in Spanish:
> "que passa" I answered: "no habla Espaniol" so he asked me in
> English what I was doing there and I told him.
>
> I thought the entire thing was a hoot.

With your dark hair and faily dark complexion, I could see where someone
could make that mistake.

No so with me... I look way too German... I might as well have GRINGO
tattooed on my forehead!

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 12:57 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/28/2014 1:46 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 12:34:50 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> On the plus
>>> side, they apparently don't believe in charging sales tax.

>> BTW, there is no sales tax on most groceries. Prepared food like
>> George's bowl of menudo and Becca's breakfast tacos would be taxed,
>> but not canned soup.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Really? You don't pay sales tax on groceries? I've never lived
> anywhere I wasn't charged sales tax for food.
>
> Jill

In Texas, food is not taxed, that includes meat, milk, condiments,
spices, coffee, etc.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 1:35 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-07-28, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> is the feeling among the Mexican community that Americans should speak
>> Spanish rather than them having to learn English.

> Well, there's dumb and then there's stupid. Stupid is when one
> discounts an entire sector of the paying public cuz they don't speak a
> certain language.
>
> The carniceria where I used to shop, no one spoke English. I didn't
> speak Spanish. That never stopped the staff from treating me like a
> long lost cousin and hanging on my every misunderstood word.
> Eventually, we'd figure it out and I'd pay and they would thank me.
> Pretty simple and good for their business, cuz I usta buy a lot of
> their meats. I will say this was not the norm in the "Mexican
> community".
>
> As for the "Mexican community", they are not endearing themselves to
> middle class America by insisting we learn their ways. Not gonna
> happen. Some in the Mexican rights movement were savvy enough to tell
> the protesters to stop carrying Mexican flags at major protest
> marches.
>
> nb

So far, I have not found anyone in the Mexican community insisting that
we learn their ways, maybe it depends on where you live. We do not have
any protesters around here.

Besides, most of us Texans know their ways, Texas was Mexico and
Hispanics lived here before we did. A couple of my nieces and nephews
have married Hispanics, which happens if you live in Houston, almost 50%
of the city is Hispanic.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 11:34 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> La Costena brand. Even if I could find honeycomb tripe I'd likely not
> make menudo from scratch. I'm also not interested in buying a case of
> it online... I don't shop for food online. No need for 12 cans of the
> stuff. It's just an occasional craving.
>
> I was out running some errands and stopped at the Tienda y Taqueria on
> Saint Helena. I don't like going into that place (they pretend not to
> speak English but I'm pretty sure they do). The local grocery stores
> stopped carrying any brand of canned menudo a few years back.
>
> The people who run the little market also don't believe in making
> change. Each 29.5 oz. can (I'll get three bowls of soup out of that
> can) was marked $4.99 but she said $10. I guess giving me back two
> cents in change would be a hardship. (The last time I was in there I
> was owed a quarter but she didn't give me that, either.) On the plus
> side, they apparently don't believe in charging sales tax.
>
> Jill

Honeycomb tripe is $3.50 per pound in the supermarket, so I do not buy
it. Since it stinks up the house when you cook it, George prefers that
I don't.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 28, 2014 12:03:26 PM UTC-5, George L wrote:
> On 7/28/2014 11:34 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
> > La Costena brand. Even if I could find honeycomb tripe I'd likely not

> > make menudo from scratch. I'm also not interested in buying a case of

> > it online... I don't shop for food online. No need for 12 cans of the

> > stuff. It's just an occasional craving.

> There is a local carniceria/taqueria that serves Menudo on Saturday and
>
> Sunday mornings and we'll go there once in a while for breakfast. It is
>
> more of a meat market and grocery store... the "restaurant" portion has
>
> only 8 tables.
>

> A big bowl of Menudo is $5.99 and includes fresh corn tortillas which
>
> they make after you order them. I get the soup, Becca usually gets some
>
> breakfast tacos ($1.25 each).
>

> Wonderful!

JILL EATS CANNED MENUDO! That's ****ing repulsive. Then she complains
about the food at the club.

> George L

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 5:17 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 15:57:58 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

>>> How long have you been living in South Carolina?!?!
>>>
>>> "South Carolina doesn't collect sales tax on purchases of most
>>> prescription drugs and groceries. Prepared Food is subject to special
>>> sales tax rates under South Carolina law. In most states, necessities
>>> such as groceries, clothes, and drugs are exempted from the sales tax
>>> or charged at a lower sales tax rate."
>>>
>>> http://www.tax-rates.org/south_carolina/sales-tax
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> Uh... excuse me but despite what that says I'm charged sales tax on all
>> groceries. 6%.

> Uh, excuse ME, but not since November 1st, 2007. Here it is right
> form the government pages:
>
> http://www.sctax.org/NR/rdonlyres/BE...A/0/IL0816.pdf
>
> What that says is that anything that can be bought with USDA food
> stamps are exempt from State sales tax. Additional local tax rates of
> up to 3% may apply to cover County sales tax and other taxing
> authorities, but Beaufort County does not have any additional local
> taxes. Therefore most groceries are not taxable when sold at a
> grocery store. Hot food, restaurant foods, and foods not meant for
> home consumption ARE taxable in most cases.
>
> I don't remember the sales tax laws from when I lived there, but that
> was before 2007.
>
> -sw

Okay, I guess I'm wrong. Maybe the government definition of "groceries"
is different from mine. As in, if I pick up a box of baking soda it's
taxed but a can of soup isn't? I don't buy household or personal care
items such as toilet paper or shampoo at the grocery store, yet there's
always a dollar amount listed as sales tax at the bottom of my grocery
store receipts. <shrug>

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 3:16 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 7/28/2014 12:57 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> BTW, there is no sales tax on most groceries. Prepared food like
>>> George's bowl of menudo and Becca's breakfast tacos would be taxed,
>>> but not canned soup.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> Really? You don't pay sales tax on groceries? I've never lived
>> anywhere I wasn't charged sales tax for food.
>>
>> Jill

> Most states don't charge sales tax on food. On paper goods, snack
> foods, soda, etc. they do but not on meat and veggies and canned and
> frozen goods. There are a few states that do and you must have lived in
> all of them. :-)

Nope, I didn't live in all of them, it just felt like it sometimes.
My mother shopped at the commissary to avoid sales tax, even though it
was a heck of a long drive for her. When she wanted me to take over the
shopping she groused about paying sales tax at Publix. I guess she
didn't realize there's no tax on food, either. It was definitely
taxable in TN although I couldn't tell you what the rate was.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 10:10 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 19:19:46 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Uh, excuse ME, but not since November 1st, 2007. Here it is right
>>> form the government pages:
>>>
>>> http://www.sctax.org/NR/rdonlyres/BE...A/0/IL0816.pdf
>>>
>>> What that says is that anything that can be bought with USDA food
>>> stamps are exempt from State sales tax. Additional local tax rates of
>>> up to 3% may apply to cover County sales tax and other taxing
>>> authorities, but Beaufort County does not have any additional local
>>> taxes. Therefore most groceries are not taxable when sold at a
>>> grocery store. Hot food, restaurant foods, and foods not meant for
>>> home consumption ARE taxable in most cases.
>>>
>>> I don't remember the sales tax laws from when I lived there, but that
>>> was before 2007.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> Okay, I guess I'm wrong. Maybe the government definition of "groceries"
>> is different from mine. As in, if I pick up a box of baking soda it's
>> taxed but a can of soup isn't?

> Baking soda should be available for purchase with USDA food stamps as
> it's most often used to make foods.

So is that the criteria? Food stamps? Damn, maybe I should apply...

>> I don't buy household or personal care
>> items such as toilet paper or shampoo at the grocery store, yet there's
>> always a dollar amount listed as sales tax at the bottom of my grocery
>> store receipts. <shrug>

> Any paper products or personal hygiene products would be taxed.
> Usually there's a column on the receipts next to the price that
> specifies wether it was taxed ot not. F is for Food. T is Taxable,
> and W is WIC eligible (in general - there can be many more codes).
>
> For example:
>
> http://cdn.freefrombroke.com/wp-cont...ie-Receipt.jpg
>
> It looks like "B" mean "Taxable Food" (junk food) on that Winn-Dixie
> receipts - at least in states that have a junk food tax.

Sorry, no Winn-Dixie around here.

> See? I just saved you 6% sales tax on most of your food groceries for
> the last 5+ years. Consider yourself a few hundred dollars richer!
> You OWE me! ;-)
>
> -sw

Your check is in the mail.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 11:27 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 22:31:33 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 7/28/2014 10:10 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> Baking soda should be available for purchase with USDA food stamps as
>>> it's most often used to make foods.
>>>

>> So is that the criteria? Food stamps?

> Rather than maintaining two separate lists for foods that grocers
> would have to maintain, it's easier just to use existing
> criteria/lists. I'm sure retailers appreciate that.
>
>> Damn, maybe I should apply...

> Transfer most of your cash to an offshore account and you'd probably
> qualify.

There's a thought.

>> Sorry, no Winn-Dixie around here.

> It was just an example. You can look up pictures of Publix or Bi-Lo
> receipts if you care to (just not for Florida or Alabama as they pay
> tax on groceries).
>
> -sw

Or I could just look at my own receipts. That Winn-Dixie receipt sure
featured a lot of stuff I wouldn't be buying. LOL

I sincerely never thought about grocery taxes since I moved here. I was
used to paying them in TN so I just assumed I'd be paying them here.
Mea culpa.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 11:44 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 23:37:17 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

>>> It was just an example. You can look up pictures of Publix or Bi-Lo
>>> receipts if you care to (just not for Florida or Alabama as they pay
>>> tax on groceries).
>>>

>> Or I could just look at my own receipts. That Winn-Dixie receipt sure
>> featured a lot of stuff I wouldn't be buying. LOL

> Sheesh, Julie! Enough! It was an example, and that is all.
>
> -sw

Sheesh yourself! It was just an observation. I wouldn't have half the
items on that receipt in my shopping cart. I just saved myself a bunch
of money right there by not buying that stuff. Lighten up, dude.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 11:56 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 10:54:07 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Sheesh yourself! It was just an observation. I wouldn't have half the
>> items on that receipt in my shopping cart. I just saved myself a bunch
>> of money right there by not buying that stuff. Lighten up, dude.

> http://cdn.freefrombroke.com/wp-cont...ie-Receipt.jpg
>
> What the receipt IS a good example of is the ILLUSION of "Loyalty Card
> Savings": Artificially inflated "Regular Prices" offset by what seems
> to be large discounts or Buy 2 Get One Free offers.

Oh, I do believe that. I won't shop where I have to use a loyalty card
to get "deals".

> Some of those items, after discount, are still higher than what I
> normally pay. Some are slightly discounted, and some are normal
> weekly sale prices.

Some are hardly sale prices. What's up with all the $7.99 Pep Bites?
That's either short for some sort of pepperoni snack or it's a dog
treat. I'm guessing this is something like a pizza snack. That person
bought a buttload of Arizona tea. And who the heck needs all those
dried cereals? I saw very little food (produce/meat) on that receipt.

> But when stores advertise their sale items this way they give you the
> illusion that you're saving more than if the store just has reasonably
> priced items in the first place. Plus gullible people (like Julie,
> especially) are encouraged to buy more than they need or things they
> don't need because they somehow think they'll be spending less money
> than if they didn't buy the product ("But it was on SALE!").

I check sales and flyers, I even use coupons. But I'm not that gullible
about coupons. I'm not buying three of something I didn't need in the
first place just to fool myself into thinking I'm saving a dollar.

> And the
> kicker that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy: "You Saved $79.07" (for
> a bunch of shit you wouldn't have bought if the products were at
> normal market prices).

Yeah, that's what people do. They buy a bunch of stuff because it was
"on sale".

> And next time you need that Uncle Ben's Chicken Vegetable rice, you're
> going to be paying the regular every day inflated manufacturers
> suggested retail price ($1.69) rather than normal everyday price
> ($1.25) - another reason you lose money in the long run. With rewards
> cards you're buying what THEY want you to buy, and how many, not what
> you actually NEED.

You're preaching to the choir.

> Studies and surveys have shown that stores that convert to loyalty
> card formats actually cost the consumer more than having regular sale
> items and everyday prices lower than the manufacturers suggested
> retail price. These grocery "loyalty card" programs are outsourced to
> outside companies to formulate and administer - and that isn't free.
> The grocer has to pay for that. And they pay for it by raising prices
> overall and covering up that fact with the new marketing smoke and
> mirrors. Plus they get all this new valuable marketing data about
> your shopping habits and your gullibility. Marketing companies lap
> that stuff up like rabid dogs in heat.
>
> Fortunately my grocer does not have these gimmicks and I avoid the
> grocers that do.

(snippety)
> -sw

Publix doesn't require a loyalty card. Food lion requires one, and
Piggly Wiggly does. So, I don't shop in those stores.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 4:46 PM, George Leppla wrote:
> On 7/28/2014 3:01 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> It does not bother me except when I am the San Benito US Post Office.

> San Benito... home to the country music legend Freddy Fender!
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIOCfrgcon4
>
> We actually looked at a few houses in San Benito when we were
> considering moving to the Rio Grande Valley.
>

>> One day I left my house with the GPS stuck on the inside of the
>> windshield. I crossed the road and the danged thing let go so I pulled
>> over to the shoulder and reset the suction cup. A Sheriff's car pulled
>> up and the officer came over to my window. He addressed me in Spanish:
>> "que passa" I answered: "no habla Espaniol" so he asked me in
>> English what I was doing there and I told him.
>>
>> I thought the entire thing was a hoot.

> With your dark hair and faily dark complexion, I could see where someone
> could make that mistake.
>
> No so with me... I look way too German... I might as well have GRINGO
> tattooed on my forehead!
>
> George L

A few weeks ago I had a physical, the the doctor's office called and
said they forgot to do a UA, so could I run in and give a urine
specimen, please.

I went yesterday and I sat in the doctor's office for 30 minutes, just
waiting to do a UA. Wha??? Anyway, there was one Caucasian patient,
other than myself, in the waiting room, everyone else was Hispanic. This
was a blonde haired, blue-eyed and fair-skinned woman who spoke fluent
Spanish to the lady behind the window, but I still declared her Caucasian.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 23:37:17 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Or I could just look at my own receipts. That Winn-Dixie receipt sure
>> featured a lot of stuff I wouldn't be buying. LOL

> http://cdn.freefrombroke.com/wp-cont...ie-Receipt.jpg
>
> Now that I scrutinize the receipt, out of (and alleged) $185 worth of
> groceries, the only thing this lady bought that requires actual
> cooking is the pork chops. Everything else is processed, pre-cooked,
> and ready to eat junk food.
>
> -sw

Geez, you actually scrutinized someone elses receipt?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 6:19 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/28/2014 5:17 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Uh... excuse me but despite what that says I'm charged sales tax on all
>>> groceries. 6%.

>> Uh, excuse ME, but not since November 1st, 2007. Here it is right
>> form the government pages:
>>
>> http://www.sctax.org/NR/rdonlyres/BE...A/0/IL0816.pdf
>>

>> What that says is that anything that can be bought with USDA food
>> stamps are exempt from State sales tax. Additional local tax rates of
>> up to 3% may apply to cover County sales tax and other taxing
>> authorities, but Beaufort County does not have any additional local
>> taxes. Therefore most groceries are not taxable when sold at a
>> grocery store. Hot food, restaurant foods, and foods not meant for
>> home consumption ARE taxable in most cases.
>>
>> I don't remember the sales tax laws from when I lived there, but that
>> was before 2007.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Okay, I guess I'm wrong. Maybe the government definition of "groceries"
> is different from mine. As in, if I pick up a box of baking soda it's
> taxed but a can of soup isn't? I don't buy household or personal care
> items such as toilet paper or shampoo at the grocery store, yet there's
> always a dollar amount listed as sales tax at the bottom of my grocery
> store receipts. <shrug>
>
> Jill

Between the city, the county and the state, it is hard to tell who is
taxing you, it is easy to get confused. Just looking at phone bills can
boggle the mind.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 12:25 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 23:37:17 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Or I could just look at my own receipts. That Winn-Dixie receipt sure
>> featured a lot of stuff I wouldn't be buying. LOL

> http://cdn.freefrombroke.com/wp-cont...ie-Receipt.jpg
>
> Now that I scrutinize the receipt, out of (and alleged) $185 worth of
> groceries, the only thing this lady bought that requires actual
> cooking is the pork chops. Everything else is processed, pre-cooked,
> and ready to eat junk food.
>
> -sw

You missed the cucumbers.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 12:13:31 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> I'd bet it's the Pepperoni Bagel Bites (40ct box). But I can't place
> the "MLF MM". Whatever it is, she should have enough to last her a
> year.

Now my mind won't let this rest until we figure this out.

M (brand name) low fat m---- m----

M (brand name) low fat m---- meatballs

M (brand name) low fat mini m----

M (brand name) low fat mini meatballs

Maple low fat mini marshmallows

Maple low fat mini muffins

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 09:28:53 -0700, Cheri wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>
>>> http://cdn.freefrombroke.com/wp-cont...ie-Receipt.jpg
>>>
>>> Now that I scrutinize the receipt, out of (and alleged) $185 worth of
>>> groceries, the only thing this lady bought that requires actual
>>> cooking is the pork chops. Everything else is processed, pre-cooked,
>>> and ready to eat junk food.

>> Geez, you actually scrutinized someone elses receipt?

> Oh, get off your high horse. Everybody here scrutinizes what
> everybody else cooks and eats here, why not cut to the chase and just
> criticize what they're buying in the first place?
>
> -sw

I have never scrutinized someone elses receipt and made determinations about
what is good and bad on it, and not everybody scrutinizes what everyone else
cooks and eats here, or tears everything apart for that matter. As far as
I'm concerned, you're the one on the high horse.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 12:17 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 12:42:50 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

>>> http://cdn.freefrombroke.com/wp-cont...ie-Receipt.jpg
>>>
>>> Now that I scrutinize the receipt, out of (and alleged) $185 worth of
>>> groceries, the only thing this lady bought that requires actual
>>> cooking is the pork chops. Everything else is processed, pre-cooked,
>>> and ready to eat junk food.
>>>

>> You missed the cucumbers.

> And the black pepper. But notice it's pre-ground, so that doesn't
> count. BTW: Cucumbers are $.44 every day at HEB. She needed a card
> to get that price.
>
> -sw

The only supermarket that requires a card, where I shop, is Kroger. With
that card, we get 20 cents off per gallon when we buy gas, which was
$3.17 per gallon, so I do not mind using the card at all. Chicken
breasts are 88 cents per pound, a 4-lb bag of sugar is $1.49. Beginning
tomorrow, black seedless grapes will be 88 cents per pound. They also
send us, by mail, coupons for the food items that we typically buy. At
first, I thought that was a little eery, but I got over it.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 15:00:36 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, Ema Nymton
> wrote,
>The only supermarket that requires a card, where I shop, is Kroger.

Kroger corp runs two chains in this area: Ralphs with higher prices
and the card, and Food4less with lower prices and no card.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 12:28 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 23:37:17 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Or I could just look at my own receipts. That Winn-Dixie receipt sure
>>> featured a lot of stuff I wouldn't be buying. LOL

>> http://cdn.freefrombroke.com/wp-cont...ie-Receipt.jpg
>>

>> Now that I scrutinize the receipt, out of (and alleged) $185 worth of
>> groceries, the only thing this lady bought that requires actual
>> cooking is the pork chops. Everything else is processed, pre-cooked,
>> and ready to eat junk food.
>>
>> -sw

> Geez, you actually scrutinized someone elses receipt?
>
> Cheri

He found that receipt online. The person obviously posted it so they
can't get terribly upset about it being scrutinized.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ema Nymton wrote:

>A few weeks ago I had a physical, the the doctor's office called and
>said they forgot to do a UA, so could I run in and give a urine
>specimen, please.
>
>I went yesterday and I sat in the doctor's office for 30 minutes, just
>waiting to do a UA. Wha???

Every doctor's office I've ever been to has urine specimen containers
in their restroom, why did you need to wait? Knowing I was there to
give a urine specimen I would have waited like five minutes and
watered one of their potted plants. I go to a Urologogist once a
year, a large medical center with a huge urology department. It's a
40 minute ride so by the time I get there first thing I want is a
bathroom but I know as soon as I walk through the urology department
door the receptionist hands me a plastic container that already has my
name on it and points to the hallway with a half dozen restrooms.
Making you wait a half hour to pee in a cup is crazy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John" > wrote in message

> When you see overweight poor people buy fattening, expensive products
> they don't need, doesn't that irk you?
>
> --
> John

Except, YOU don't get to decide what somebody else needs...when people try,
that irks me.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/29/2014 12:28 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> http://cdn.freefrombroke.com/wp-cont...ie-Receipt.jpg
>>>

>>> Now that I scrutinize the receipt, out of (and alleged) $185 worth of
>>> groceries, the only thing this lady bought that requires actual
>>> cooking is the pork chops. Everything else is processed, pre-cooked,
>>> and ready to eat junk food.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Geez, you actually scrutinized someone elses receipt?
>>
>> Cheri

> He found that receipt online. The person obviously posted it so they
> can't get terribly upset about it being scrutinized.
>
> Jill

I doubt that they're upset at all, I just couldn't phathom being interested
enough in a strangers receipt to go over it, that's all.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote:
>"Sqwertz" wrote:
>> Cheri wrote:

>>> Geez, you actually scrutinized someone elses receipt?

>> Oh, get off your high horse. Everybody here scrutinizes what
>> everybody else cooks and eats here, why not cut to the chase and just
>> criticize what they're buying in the first place?

>I have never scrutinized someone elses receipt and made determinations about
>what is good and bad on it, and not everybody scrutinizes what everyone else
>cooks and eats here, or tears everything apart for that matter. As far as
>I'm concerned, you're the one on the high horse.

Um, the dwarf can barely manage a Shetland pony. LOL-LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 8:38 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Geez, you actually scrutinized someone elses receipt?
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> He found that receipt online. The person obviously posted it so they
>> can't get terribly upset about it being scrutinized.
>>
>> Jill

> I doubt that they're upset at all, I just couldn't phathom being
> interested enough in a strangers receipt to go over it, that's all.
>
> Cheri

It all started when I didn't get charged sales tax at a Mexican grocery
store...

Jill

menudo SteveB[_4_] General Cooking 35 17-02-2009 12:41 AM
Menudo jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 1 26-10-2008 10:15 PM
Menudo RAS Recipes (moderated) 0 29-01-2006 07:16 PM
Menudo Richard Lee Holbert Recipes (moderated) 0 22-05-2005 04:39 AM