Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Menudo for Lunch

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 06:59:28 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2014-07-30 1:08 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> they don't need, doesn't that irk you?
>> > I can truthfully say that I don't notice what other people have in
>> > their carts. I get my stuff on the conveyor belt, cast my eyes over
>> > magazine covers and then it's my turn. If I would notice something,
>> > it's forgotten by the time I leave the store. Why bother judging and
>> > storing up all this negative, judgmental stuff?
>> >

>> It is kind of hard not to even notice. It is not always judgmental.
>> Sure, when you see an enormously fat person who is so stressed from
>> pushing their cart that that they have to lean on their shopping cart
>> for support and you notice that it is mostly junk foods and soft drinks.
>> OTOH, you see someone who is loaded up with shrimp and steaks and fresh
>> fruit, aren't you ever tempted to ask them if you can come to their
>> house for dinner?

> No.

Me either. Truthfully, I don't even really like it when the clerks comment
on what you're buying and ask "what time is dinner" or something along those
lines.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>>Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Unless someone draws my attention by being in my way or holding
>>> up the line, I barely notice anyone at all. Forget noticing
>>> what they are buying.

>>I always look. I'm just an old busybody. :-)

> Everyone looks, especially at the check-out... seems we're the only
> two who admit it.

That's not at all true, don't judge everyone by what you do.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 1:43 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 06:59:28 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> OTOH, you see someone who is loaded up with shrimp and steaks and fresh
>>> fruit, aren't you ever tempted to ask them if you can come to their
>>> house for dinner?

>> No.

> Me either. Truthfully, I don't even really like it when the clerks
> comment on what you're buying and ask "what time is dinner" or something
> along those lines.
>
> Cheri

I'd guess sometimes the clerks are commenting just to be friendly. It's
not as if they actually follow you home.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> What a lot of irking you are doing today, John ;p

As long as it's not "twerking" it's all good. :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/30/2014 1:43 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 06:59:28 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> No.

>> Me either. Truthfully, I don't even really like it when the clerks
>> comment on what you're buying and ask "what time is dinner" or something
>> along those lines.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> I'd guess sometimes the clerks are commenting just to be friendly. It's
> not as if they actually follow you home.
>
> Jill

I didn't say they weren't being friendly, I just said I don't like it,
though I do smile.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 1:47 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>> Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> I always look. I'm just an old busybody. :-)

>> Everyone looks, especially at the check-out... seems we're the only
>> two who admit it.

> That's not at all true, don't judge everyone by what you do.
>
> Cheri

I'm sure they really appreciate his ogling their breasts.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/30/2014 1:47 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> Everyone looks, especially at the check-out... seems we're the only
>>> two who admit it.

>> That's not at all true, don't judge everyone by what you do.
>>
>> Cheri

> I'm sure they really appreciate his ogling their breasts.
>
> Jill

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 12:36:38 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> On 7/30/2014 11:10 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 09:33:07 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> > wrote:
> >

> >> My smartphone has an app for shopping lists. I use it.

> > Which one do you use, Janet... or did it come pre-installed?
> >

> Got it from Google Play for Android. It's called "OI Shopping list"
> You create your own list and you can add loads of stores. I have
> separate lists for the grocery, Sam's Club, Walgreens, WalMart, BB&
> Beyond, shopping in Mexico (usually a list of duty-free booze) and one
> for when I go to the outlet mall.
>
> The app is free (no intrusions, either) and has worked well on three
> phones. Only bummer is that when you change phones, you have to start
> all over again, but it does clear cobwebs and you add stuff back as you
> make your list.

Thanks! The problem you have is the huge reason why I like that Out
of Milk program Ophelia recommended (mine didn't come with one - just
an app for notes, which could be shopping lists. The shopping list(s)
is in the cloud and accessible from any machine you use.

> It's really handy because if I run out of something, I just put it on
> the phone and don't forget about it when I go to the store.

Agree! I just need to make sure my battery is well charged before I
go shopping or bring my portable charger with me. The thing I like
the least about my phone is the battery life... which reminds me, I
was going to order a couple of new batteries and haven't done it yet.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>

>> What a lot of irking you are doing today, John ;p

> As long as it's not "twerking" it's all good. :-)

lol

I guess it depends on how nice his bum is ... ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 1:50 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 12:36:38 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/30/2014 11:10 AM, sf wrote:

>>> Which one do you use, Janet... or did it come pre-installed?
>>>

>> Got it from Google Play for Android. It's called "OI Shopping list"
>> You create your own list and you can add loads of stores. I have
>> separate lists for the grocery, Sam's Club, Walgreens, WalMart, BB&
>> Beyond, shopping in Mexico (usually a list of duty-free booze) and one
>> for when I go to the outlet mall.
>>
>> The app is free (no intrusions, either) and has worked well on three
>> phones. Only bummer is that when you change phones, you have to start
>> all over again, but it does clear cobwebs and you add stuff back as you
>> make your list.
>>

> Thanks! The problem you have is the huge reason why I like that Out
> of Milk program Ophelia recommended (mine didn't come with one - just
> an app for notes, which could be shopping lists. The shopping list(s)
> is in the cloud and accessible from any machine you use.
>
>> It's really handy because if I run out of something, I just put it on
>> the phone and don't forget about it when I go to the store.

> Agree! I just need to make sure my battery is well charged before I
> go shopping or bring my portable charger with me. The thing I like
> the least about my phone is the battery life... which reminds me, I
> was going to order a couple of new batteries and haven't done it yet.

I just got a new phone last month. The most incredible battery life
ever AND you can swap out batteries. It has a feature that will turn
the screen to gray tones instead of color and, in that mode will go like
12 days without a charge (so the thingie on the phone says).

It's a Samsung S5 and it's by far (out of 3) my very favorite Android.
It's a big, hulking son of a gun, especially in its Otter Box protector,
but it's so easy to text with and so easy to use. I'm in love with it.

Signed,

the electronic toy lady

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 2:18 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>>> What a lot of irking you are doing today, John ;p

>> As long as it's not "twerking" it's all good. :-)

> lol
>
> I guess it depends on how nice his bum is ... ;-)

Very near 68 years old and I can twerk! Besides being a crazy,
traveling, cooking, misspelling old broad, I can dance like a demon.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 15:56:51 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> I just got a new phone last month. The most incredible battery life
> ever AND you can swap out batteries. It has a feature that will turn
> the screen to gray tones instead of color and, in that mode will go like
> 12 days without a charge (so the thingie on the phone says).
>
> It's a Samsung S5 and it's by far (out of 3) my very favorite Android.
> It's a big, hulking son of a gun, especially in its Otter Box protector,
> but it's so easy to text with and so easy to use. I'm in love with it.

Yay, I guess correctly because I was reading just this morning about
the Samsung 5 (drool). After many, many years of being a regular
Verizon subscriber - we went over to a MTM Verizon MVNO, called
Selectel, last Fall and haven't looked back. The only thing I regret
about the move is not being able to upgrade my phone on the cheap via
contract. I certainly don't miss being charge through the kazoo for
minutes I'll never use plus the extra charge for data.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 15:56:51 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

snip

>I just got a new phone last month. The most incredible battery life
>ever AND you can swap out batteries. It has a feature that will turn
>the screen to gray tones instead of color and, in that mode will go like
>12 days without a charge (so the thingie on the phone says).
>
>It's a Samsung S5 and it's by far (out of 3) my very favorite Android.
>It's a big, hulking son of a gun, especially in its Otter Box protector,
>but it's so easy to text with and so easy to use. I'm in love with it.
>
>Signed,
>
>the electronic toy lady

why don't you just dictate instead of typing to text? Look under
'Settings', then 'Language and Input'.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 16:13:29 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> why don't you just dictate instead of typing to text? Look under
> 'Settings', then 'Language and Input'.

Don't they all have a little microphone symbol somewhere? Even my old
Samsung Fascinate has that. The input methods for mine are only swype
and keyboard because voice is always an option.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 5:13 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 15:56:51 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
> snip
>>
>> I just got a new phone last month. The most incredible battery life
>> ever AND you can swap out batteries. It has a feature that will turn
>> the screen to gray tones instead of color and, in that mode will go like
>> 12 days without a charge (so the thingie on the phone says).
>>
>> It's a Samsung S5 and it's by far (out of 3) my very favorite Android.
>> It's a big, hulking son of a gun, especially in its Otter Box protector,
>> but it's so easy to text with and so easy to use. I'm in love with it.
>>
>> Signed,
>>
>> the electronic toy lady

> why don't you just dictate instead of typing to text? Look under
> 'Settings', then 'Language and Input'.
> Janet US

Although my diction is pretty good, somehow having lost a chunk of
tongue messes up those voice readers. Today I was trying to get through
to United Air Lines and their automated man could not understand a
single word. Finally I got through to a human.

Wanted to see if I could upgrade to first on my flights to Europe and
back. I had the miles but they wanted $500 per leg extra. The whole
R/T was not much more than that. I'll probably move myself to the
"blue" seats with a bit more leg room for the longer flights. They are
less expensive.

I once tried to dictate frozen peas into the phone and it came out
"floozie pants"

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 6:07 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 16:13:29 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
>
>> why don't you just dictate instead of typing to text? Look under
>> 'Settings', then 'Language and Input'.

> Don't they all have a little microphone symbol somewhere? Even my old
> Samsung Fascinate has that. The input methods for mine are only swype
> and keyboard because voice is always an option.

The phones don't understand me.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>>Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Unless someone draws my attention by being in my way or holding
>>> up the line, I barely notice anyone at all. Forget noticing
>>> what they are buying.

>>I always look. I'm just an old busybody. :-)

> Everyone looks, especially at the check-out... seems we're the only
> two who admit it.

I admit to it. I not only look then, but if I see someone seriously
studying labels. I look then too. I have frequently had people stop me and
ask about various foods. Particularly when I had to buy gluten free foods.
I know people were looking into *my* cart because they stopped me and asked
about foods and recipes. I have exchanged emails with people that I met at
the store when they had a recipe for me or I had one for them.

I also tend to buy a lot more produce than most people do and I have had
people ask me about that as well. I don't buy as much now as I did when I
was a raw vegan. But whenever I see someone buying only fresh produce and
nothing else, I assume that they must be a raw vegan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>> Janet Wilder wrote:

>>>I always look. I'm just an old busybody. :-)

>> Everyone looks, especially at the check-out... seems we're the only
>> two who admit it.

> That's not at all true, don't judge everyone by what you do.

I do look. Not so much to judge people but to imagine what they will be
doing with it. If it's all processed stuff, there isn't much to imagine. I
often see seniors buying small frozen meals. That's kind of sad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 23:57:18 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>> > On what ground?
>> >

>> The ground I stand on.

> If it's good enough for the republicans and their handlers (Faux News)
> to constantly talk about impeachment, then it's good enough for you.

Yes. I don't have to know how to do it either. I have a lawyer friend.
I'll just ask him.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 23:05:07 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Although I don't like
>> it if I see a cart full of crap, there's nothing I can or would do about
>> it.
>> It's not my business.

> Besides, all that crap means they will die sooner and isn't that what
> people with his attitude want? If they didn't, they'd raise the
> minimum wage and lift as many as they can out of poverty.

You would think so but... The people I know who eat the most crap don't
really have any medical problems.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> I didn't say they weren't being friendly, I just said I don't like it,
> though I do smile.

I only had that happen once. It was a huge big young man at a QFC. I was
buying pot roast and vegetables and he asked if he could come over to
dinner. I could be wrong but I got the impression that he was flirting with
me. I wasn't married then. Said that my boyfriend probably wouldn't like
that and then he looked sad.

I guess I don't mind it so much if someone I see regular asks something like
that. Perhaps if they did, I just don't remember it. But if it's someone
I've never seen before, it can make me uncomfortable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 18:33:23 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>On 7/30/2014 6:07 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 16:13:29 -0600, Janet Bostwick
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> why don't you just dictate instead of typing to text? Look under
>>> 'Settings', then 'Language and Input'.

>> Don't they all have a little microphone symbol somewhere? Even my old
>> Samsung Fascinate has that. The input methods for mine are only swype
>> and keyboard because voice is always an option.
>>

>The phones don't understand me.

A long, long time ago, I took shorthand. The instructor had grown up
in South Carolina and had lived in Texas for a number of years. Taking
dictation from her was a real treat ;o) I bet your phone does better
than I did in shorthand class.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 7:32 PM, Janet Wilder wrote::

> I once tried to dictate frozen peas into the phone and it came out
> "floozie pants"

That made me laugh loud. So funny.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 11:25:59 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> That's not at all true, don't judge everyone by what you do.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> I'm sure they really appreciate his ogling their breasts.
>>
>> Jill

>LOL

Why else would women wear a $40 bra to go grocery shopping? *Real*
women live to be ogled.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> I also tend to buy a lot more produce than most people do and I have had
> people ask me about that as well. I don't buy as much now as I did when I
> was a raw vegan. But whenever I see someone buying only fresh produce and
> nothing else, I assume that they must be a raw vegan.

That might be a wrong assumption. I was at Food 4 Less the other day and all
I had was fresh produce in my cart, nothing else.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 16:36:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> Everyone looks, especially at the check-out... seems we're the only
>>> two who admit it.

>> That's not at all true, don't judge everyone by what you do.

>I do look. Not so much to judge people but to imagine what they will be
>doing with it. If it's all processed stuff, there isn't much to imagine. I
>often see seniors buying small frozen meals. That's kind of sad.

Whenever I'm filling my cart with family packs women can't
resist checking out my meat... I've had women accost my pepperoni.
I've had women paying rapt attention while I explained what to do with
a ten pound breast of veal. Youd be amazed at how women enjoy my
explanation about how to choose a tender breast... I've got it down to
a science!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 8:34 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Whenever I'm filling my cart with family packs women can't
> resist checking out my meat... I've had women accost my pepperoni.
> I've had women paying rapt attention while I explained what to do with
> a ten pound breast of veal. Youd be amazed at how women enjoy my
> explanation about how to choose a tender breast... I've got it down to
> a science!

Famous pick up lines from the Catskills :-)

Darn these steroids are making me crazy. I'm juiced like Jose Canseco!

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 9:12 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 7/30/2014 7:32 PM, Janet Wilder wrote::
>
>> I once tried to dictate frozen peas into the phone and it came out
>> "floozie pants"

> That made me laugh loud. So funny.
>
> nancy

But! I'll bet she would have known what it meant! And gotten a chuckle
out of it.

When it comes to typing, though, this is one reason I dislike auto
spell-check. If I make a typo or a spelling error, it's mine... not
something selected by a program automatically just in case I screw up.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 9:22 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 11:25:59 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

>>> I'm sure they really appreciate his ogling their breasts.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> LOL

> Why else would women wear a $40 bra to go grocery shopping? *Real*
> women live to be ogled.

How the hell would you know what their bras cost? Are you following
them around in the lingerie department at the local Seed & Feed?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 16:40:22 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 23:05:07 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Although I don't like
> >> it if I see a cart full of crap, there's nothing I can or would do about
> >> it.
> >> It's not my business.

> > Besides, all that crap means they will die sooner and isn't that what
> > people with his attitude want? If they didn't, they'd raise the
> > minimum wage and lift as many as they can out of poverty.
> >

> You would think so but... The people I know who eat the most crap don't
> really have any medical problems.

I wonder if the preservatives are working on them or if they don't
have good enough health care to know what's wrong with them - yet.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 21:12:08 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 7/30/2014 7:32 PM, Janet Wilder wrote::
>
> > I once tried to dictate frozen peas into the phone and it came out
> > "floozie pants"

> That made me laugh loud. So funny.

Heh, you beat me to it. LOL

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 9:34 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/30/2014 9:12 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 7/30/2014 7:32 PM, Janet Wilder wrote::
>>
>>> I once tried to dictate frozen peas into the phone and it came out
>>> "floozie pants"

>> That made me laugh loud. So funny.
>>
>> nancy

> But! I'll bet she would have known what it meant! And gotten a chuckle
> out of it.

I still laugh about it when I think of it.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> That made me laugh loud. So funny.

That's freaking hilarious.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 16:36:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> That's not at all true, don't judge everyone by what you do.

>>I do look. Not so much to judge people but to imagine what they will be
>>doing with it. If it's all processed stuff, there isn't much to imagine.
>>often see seniors buying small frozen meals. That's kind of sad.

> Whenever I'm filling my cart with family packs women can't
> resist checking out my meat... I've had women accost my pepperoni.
> I've had women paying rapt attention while I explained what to do with
> a ten pound breast of veal. Youd be amazed at how women enjoy my
> explanation about how to choose a tender breast... I've got it down to
> a science!

I had to turn around and look today because I heard a lot of banging and
whamming behind me today while in line. Turns out that it was an elderly
woman. Of course not all elderly people do this and I've never seen an
elderly man to this but she was forcefully hurling her food down onto the
counter. It's almost as if they lose control of their fine motor skills or
something. I saw a huge bag of M & Ms, some cans of Campbell's condensed
soup, small things like yogurt, cheese and some meat and produce. So this
woman clearly does cook. I wouldn't have even noticed her though had she
not been making all that noise.

menudo SteveB[_4_] General Cooking 35 17-02-2009 12:41 AM
Menudo jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 1 26-10-2008 10:15 PM
Menudo RAS Recipes (moderated) 0 29-01-2006 07:16 PM
Menudo Richard Lee Holbert Recipes (moderated) 0 22-05-2005 04:39 AM