Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bing cherries this year

The Bing cherries from Washington are glorious this year. They are
huge, almost the size of a ping-pong ball, juicy, sweet and almost
black in color. I've gotten cherries at Winco and Costco. All
cherries were great. Be on the lookout for them
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 14:18:55 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>The Bing cherries from Washington are glorious this year. They are
>huge, almost the size of a ping-pong ball, juicy, sweet and almost
>black in color. I've gotten cherries at Winco and Costco. All
>cherries were great. Be on the lookout for them
>Janet US

We've been gorging on them this year. It must have been a bumper crop
as the Raniers were also especially grand. Both at decent prices, too.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-22 4:18 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> The Bing cherries from Washington are glorious this year. They are
> huge, almost the size of a ping-pong ball, juicy, sweet and almost
> black in color. I've gotten cherries at Winco and Costco. All
> cherries were great. Be on the lookout for them

There are lots of cherries grown around here, and many varieties. I
don't recall ever seeing Bings. Cherries are one of those fruits that
are so much better freshly picked, so there is no chance of me buying
imported Bings when I can fresh cherries from the orchards around the
corner from us.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> The Bing cherries from Washington are glorious this year. They are
> huge, almost the size of a ping-pong ball, juicy, sweet and almost
> black in color. I've gotten cherries at Winco and Costco. All
> cherries were great. Be on the lookout for them
> Janet US

Rainiers are delicious too -- like little mini-peaches

I heard they grew 10 million more pounds of blueberries this year in WA
state compared to last year -- and I am doing my part to help deal with
the excess

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 16:29:23 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 14:18:55 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>

>>The Bing cherries from Washington are glorious this year. They are
>>huge, almost the size of a ping-pong ball, juicy, sweet and almost
>>black in color. I've gotten cherries at Winco and Costco. All
>>cherries were great. Be on the lookout for them
>>Janet US

>We've been gorging on them this year. It must have been a bumper crop
>as the Raniers were also especially grand. Both at decent prices, too.
>
>Boron

Yes, the Raniers also.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 21:10:27 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

>Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>> The Bing cherries from Washington are glorious this year. They are
>> huge, almost the size of a ping-pong ball, juicy, sweet and almost
>> black in color. I've gotten cherries at Winco and Costco. All
>> cherries were great. Be on the lookout for them
>> Janet US

>Rainiers are delicious too -- like little mini-peaches
>
>I heard they grew 10 million more pounds of blueberries this year in WA
>state compared to last year -- and I am doing my part to help deal with
>the excess

the price on the berries is reasonable too
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> The Bing cherries from Washington are glorious this year. They are
> huge, almost the size of a ping-pong ball, juicy, sweet and almost
> black in color. I've gotten cherries at Winco and Costco. All
> cherries were great. Be on the lookout for them
> Janet US

Hmmm... The ones I bought were for sure not that big. They were good
though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>> The Bing cherries from Washington are glorious this year. They are
>> huge, almost the size of a ping-pong ball, juicy, sweet and almost
>> black in color. I've gotten cherries at Winco and Costco. All
>> cherries were great. Be on the lookout for them
>> Janet US

> Rainiers are delicious too -- like little mini-peaches
>
> I heard they grew 10 million more pounds of blueberries this year in WA
> state compared to last year -- and I am doing my part to help deal with
> the excess

Yikes! I hope this doesn't mean that we'll be seeing blueberries used in
weird ways.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "tert in seattle" > wrote in message
>> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>>
>>> The Bing cherries from Washington are glorious this year. They are
>>> huge, almost the size of a ping-pong ball, juicy, sweet and almost
>>> black in color. I've gotten cherries at Winco and Costco. All
>>> cherries were great. Be on the lookout for them
>>> Janet US

>> Rainiers are delicious too -- like little mini-peaches
>>
>> I heard they grew 10 million more pounds of blueberries this year in WA
>> state compared to last year -- and I am doing my part to help deal with
>> the excess

> Yikes! I hope this doesn't mean that we'll be seeing blueberries used in
> weird ways.

they'll be spraying blueberry pancakes out of cans!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Rainiers are delicious too -- like little mini-peaches
>>>
>>> I heard they grew 10 million more pounds of blueberries this year in WA
>>> state compared to last year -- and I am doing my part to help deal with
>>> the excess

>> Yikes! I hope this doesn't mean that we'll be seeing blueberries used in
>> weird ways.

> they'll be spraying blueberry pancakes out of cans!

I'll pass!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 14:18:55 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>The Bing cherries from Washington are glorious this year. They are
>huge, almost the size of a ping-pong ball, juicy, sweet and almost
>black in color. I've gotten cherries at Winco and Costco. All
>cherries were great. Be on the lookout for them
>Janet US

I know! I bought a $1.99/lb box, and my housemate got a similar box
for $1.59/lb!! I swore mine tasted better! ;-)

Made me think of making Chocolate Covered Cherries! I could, except
it's too warm! And we don't run a refrigeration unit many times!

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 20:50:20 -0500, John Kuthe >
wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 14:18:55 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>

>>The Bing cherries from Washington are glorious this year. They are
>>huge, almost the size of a ping-pong ball, juicy, sweet and almost
>>black in color. I've gotten cherries at Winco and Costco. All
>>cherries were great. Be on the lookout for them
>>Janet US

>I know! I bought a $1.99/lb box, and my housemate got a similar box
>for $1.59/lb!! I swore mine tasted better! ;-)
>
>Made me think of making Chocolate Covered Cherries! I could, except
>it's too warm! And we don't run a refrigeration unit many times!
>
>John Kuthe...

snip
what about pitting them and storing them in a jar of cherry liqueur or
Amaretto? Would that work? Use them when the weather is cool?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 14:18:55 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> The Bing cherries from Washington are glorious this year. They are
> huge, almost the size of a ping-pong ball, juicy, sweet and almost
> black in color. I've gotten cherries at Winco and Costco. All
> cherries were great. Be on the lookout for them

Ah yes. Yet another example of what is sent elsewhere to be sold. I
bought ordinary sized sweet cherries today. No Winco here, but I'll
check Costco.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 16:02:22 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> > Janet Bostwick wrote:
> >>
> >> The Bing cherries from Washington are glorious this year. They are
> >> huge, almost the size of a ping-pong ball, juicy, sweet and almost
> >> black in color. I've gotten cherries at Winco and Costco. All
> >> cherries were great. Be on the lookout for them
> >> Janet US

> > Rainiers are delicious too -- like little mini-peaches
> >
> > I heard they grew 10 million more pounds of blueberries this year in WA
> > state compared to last year -- and I am doing my part to help deal with
> > the excess

> Yikes! I hope this doesn't mean that we'll be seeing blueberries used in
> weird ways.

Don't worry, they aren't cheap anymore. $3.99 pint as of today.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 1:48:23 PM UTC-7, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-07-22 4:18 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>

> > The Bing cherries from Washington are glorious this year. They are
> > huge, almost the size of a ping-pong ball, juicy, sweet and almost
> > black in color. I've gotten cherries at Winco and Costco. All
> > cherries were great. Be on the lookout for them

> There are lots of cherries grown around here, and many varieties. I
> don't recall ever seeing Bings. Cherries are one of those fruits that
> are so much better freshly picked, so there is no chance of me buying
> imported Bings when I can fresh cherries from the orchards around the
> corner from us.

Odd, Bing is a recommended cultivar for Ontario (University of Guelph).
Those grown in the Sun Parlour were always ripe by July 4.

My grandparents would always cross over to buy a peck of sweet cherries
at that time every year. For a few years (until the fish dieoff grew too
obnoxious) they would rent a cottage for us on the lake, near Leamington,
at that time of year. Once we toured the Heinz factory. I remember
going to the supermarket, the front of which had pallets of 50 pound sacks of
Redpath sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 14:18:55 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
>

>> The Bing cherries from Washington are glorious this year. They are
>> huge, almost the size of a ping-pong ball, juicy, sweet and almost
>> black in color. I've gotten cherries at Winco and Costco. All
>> cherries were great. Be on the lookout for them

> Ah yes. Yet another example of what is sent elsewhere to be sold. I
> bought ordinary sized sweet cherries today. No Winco here, but I'll
> check Costco.

Our Costcos here never seem to have fresh looking cherries. I have looked
several times because the price was good but they were all soft and
wrinkled. I think where I did buy them was Winco. And they were good but
not large sized.

Last time I was there I bought two boxes of strawberries as they changed the
assortment of fruits in their fruit bowl to mainly things that won't get
eaten here. The strawberries were no good. The ones that are technically
edible are very sour. And one box was loaded with mildewed ones right in
the middle. Of course you could not tell this because the ones on the
outside all looked good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 16:02:22 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>> > Rainiers are delicious too -- like little mini-peaches
>> >
>> > I heard they grew 10 million more pounds of blueberries this year in WA
>> > state compared to last year -- and I am doing my part to help deal with
>> > the excess

>> Yikes! I hope this doesn't mean that we'll be seeing blueberries used in
>> weird ways.

> Don't worry, they aren't cheap anymore. $3.99 pint as of today.

Good! The Costco fruit bowls now have a little bowl of blueberries at the
top. I assumed that my husband loved blueberries because when we were
dating, he made me blueberry pancakes which I couldn't even force myself to
eat as I hate them that much.

Then after I had the baby, I asked him to go to Dunkin Donuts and buy me a
bran muffin. I don't really like muffins either but felt that I needed the
bran. He brought me back everything but bran, including two blueberry ones
which he ate when I said I wouldn't.

But it turns out that he hates blueberries as much as I do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 1:48:23 PM UTC-7, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2014-07-22 4:18 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>

>> > The Bing cherries from Washington are glorious this year. They are
>> > huge, almost the size of a ping-pong ball, juicy, sweet and almost
>> > black in color. I've gotten cherries at Winco and Costco. All
>> > cherries were great. Be on the lookout for them

>> There are lots of cherries grown around here, and many varieties. I
>> don't recall ever seeing Bings. Cherries are one of those fruits that
>> are so much better freshly picked, so there is no chance of me buying
>> imported Bings when I can fresh cherries from the orchards around the
>> corner from us.

> Odd, Bing is a recommended cultivar for Ontario (University of Guelph).
> Those grown in the Sun Parlour were always ripe by July 4.
>
> My grandparents would always cross over to buy a peck of sweet cherries
> at that time every year. For a few years (until the fish dieoff grew too
> obnoxious) they would rent a cottage for us on the lake, near Leamington,
> at that time of year. Once we toured the Heinz factory. I remember
> going to the supermarket, the front of which had pallets of 50 pound sacks
> of
> Redpath sugar.

There is a little market in Lynnwood that appears to be Mexican based on the
name, which now escapes me. I was always intrigued because outside, they
always have pallets containing huge sacks of onions.

I finally went in there one day and was not impressed. My mom was impressed
with their selection of seasonings as was my friend who was in need of some
sort of Japanese seasoning that they had in stock. However, after looking
at the state of their produce inside, I'd fear that the seasonings were old
and past their prime. Most of the produce was in various states of decay
and I saw bottles and cans of things thick with dust which is never a good
sign.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> The Bing cherries from Washington are glorious this year. They are
> huge, almost the size of a ping-pong ball, juicy, sweet and almost
> black in color. I've gotten cherries at Winco and Costco. All
> cherries were great. Be on the lookout for them
> Janet US

Someone gave me a bag of Washington cherries from our local grocery, been
loving them. Labeled CMI

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 21:32:37 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 20:50:20 -0500, John Kuthe >
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 14:18:55 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>>

>>>The Bing cherries from Washington are glorious this year. They are
>>>huge, almost the size of a ping-pong ball, juicy, sweet and almost
>>>black in color. I've gotten cherries at Winco and Costco. All
>>>cherries were great. Be on the lookout for them
>>>Janet US

>>I know! I bought a $1.99/lb box, and my housemate got a similar box
>>for $1.59/lb!! I swore mine tasted better! ;-)
>>
>>Made me think of making Chocolate Covered Cherries! I could, except
>>it's too warm! And we don't run a refrigeration unit many times!
>>
>>John Kuthe...
>>

>snip
>what about pitting them and storing them in a jar of cherry liqueur or
>Amaretto? Would that work? Use them when the weather is cool?
>Janet US

First part of the process is to pit the cherries and soak them o
vernight in he refrigerator in "Majic Juice" (yes liquor is involved!)
but only for one day.

No, my chocolate making is definitely a cold weather sport.

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 23:18:26 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

snip

>There is a little market in Lynnwood that appears to be Mexican based on the
>name, which now escapes me. I was always intrigued because outside, they
>always have pallets containing huge sacks of onions.

snip

It is not unusual to see 50 pound sacks of onions for sale in the
area. Onions are grown here. Same with potatoes. No doubt your
market had direct connection to the grower.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 20:57:32 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 14:18:55 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>

>> The Bing cherries from Washington are glorious this year. They are
>> huge, almost the size of a ping-pong ball, juicy, sweet and almost
>> black in color. I've gotten cherries at Winco and Costco. All
>> cherries were great. Be on the lookout for them

>Ah yes. Yet another example of what is sent elsewhere to be sold. I
>bought ordinary sized sweet cherries today. No Winco here, but I'll
>check Costco.

Normally we would be buying cherries etc. within 30 miles of here. We
had a dicey spring that affected the crops. Also, we are making
bedroom communities out of former commercial fruit orchards. I used
to love to go direct to the orchards. It was a nice Sunday afternoon
drive. The orchards had so many varieties of each fruit. The lady
that was in charge of the bushels of fruit would ask if your were
planning to can, freeze or fresh eat a particular fruit. She'd then
recommend one or the other. Apparently some varieties were better
suited for one use or another. (Back-to-school is time for nectarines
which I love.)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 23:12:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 14:18:55 -0600, Janet Bostwick
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> The Bing cherries from Washington are glorious this year. They are
>>> huge, almost the size of a ping-pong ball, juicy, sweet and almost
>>> black in color. I've gotten cherries at Winco and Costco. All
>>> cherries were great. Be on the lookout for them

>> Ah yes. Yet another example of what is sent elsewhere to be sold. I
>> bought ordinary sized sweet cherries today. No Winco here, but I'll
>> check Costco.
>>

>Our Costcos here never seem to have fresh looking cherries. I have looked
>several times because the price was good but they were all soft and
>wrinkled. I think where I did buy them was Winco. And they were good but
>not large sized.
>
>Last time I was there I bought two boxes of strawberries as they changed the
>assortment of fruits in their fruit bowl to mainly things that won't get
>eaten here. The strawberries were no good. The ones that are technically
>edible are very sour. And one box was loaded with mildewed ones right in
>the middle. Of course you could not tell this because the ones on the
>outside all looked good.

The rest of us thank you. You've been designated the shopper to be
the bad produce recipient so that the rest of us get the good stuff.
Good job!
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
news

> Normally we would be buying cherries etc. within 30 miles of here. We
> had a dicey spring that affected the crops. Also, we are making

> Janet US

We had a ten acre Bing Cherry orchard with some Tartarians in the family for
a long time, but we sold it off last year. I grew tired of cherries since
they were coming out of our ears and I couldn't really eat them much in the
later years, but I miss the fact that we don't have them available anymore
if that makes sense. :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 06:26:46 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>news
>>
>> Normally we would be buying cherries etc. within 30 miles of here. We
>> had a dicey spring that affected the crops. Also, we are making

>> Janet US

>We had a ten acre Bing Cherry orchard with some Tartarians in the family for
>a long time, but we sold it off last year. I grew tired of cherries since
>they were coming out of our ears and I couldn't really eat them much in the
>later years, but I miss the fact that we don't have them available anymore
>if that makes sense. :-)
>
>Cheri

Yes it makes sense. There's something wonderful about cooking/eating
what is growing in your own back yard. You know what a work
obligation it is, but you still miss it when it is gone.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-23 9:10 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> Normally we would be buying cherries etc. within 30 miles of here. We
> had a dicey spring that affected the crops.

Cherries are among the most perishable of the tender fruits. If using
sour cherries they really need to be processed the day they are picked.
Sweet cherries will last a few days longer but the taste deteriorates.

> Also, we are making
> bedroom communities out of former commercial fruit orchards. I used
> to love to go direct to the orchards. It was a nice Sunday afternoon
> drive. The orchards had so many varieties of each fruit. The lady
> that was in charge of the bushels of fruit would ask if your were
> planning to can, freeze or fresh eat a particular fruit.

I don't eat a lot of apples and am never sure of the different
varieties, so when I go to the apple dealers I have to ask which of the
varieties they have on hand are best for what I am planning. There are
several varieties of pear grown around here. For cooking and canning,
Barlett are the best. They are much firmer.

> She'd then
> recommend one or the other. Apparently some varieties were better
> suited for one use or another. (Back-to-school is time for nectarines
> which I love.)

Peaches look like they will be ready to harvest soon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote:
> > Yikes! I hope this doesn't mean that we'll be seeing blueberries used in
> > weird ways.

> Don't worry, they aren't cheap anymore. $3.99 pint as of today.

$1.99/pint on sale here this week.

Many years ago, in an Alaska ng, some woman posted a bbq sauce using
blueberries and I tried it. It was very good but you really didn't
taste the blueberries in it. I can post it if anyone is interested in
trying it (or just looking at the ingredient list).

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-23 10:24 AM, Gary wrote:

> Many years ago, in an Alaska ng, some woman posted a bbq sauce using
> blueberries and I tried it. It was very good but you really didn't
> taste the blueberries in it. I can post it if anyone is interested in
> trying it (or just looking at the ingredient list).

We had a few meals in a local restaurant while our kitchen was being
done. One of the meals my wife had was a pulled pork pizza with a
blueberry BBQ sauce. Not something that I was interested in ordering but
she liked it. I tried a bit and it was pretty good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 23:14:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 16:02:22 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >

> >> Yikes! I hope this doesn't mean that we'll be seeing blueberries used in
> >> weird ways.

> > Don't worry, they aren't cheap anymore. $3.99 pint as of today.

> Good!

<snip>
> He brought me back everything but bran, including two blueberry ones
> which he ate when I said I wouldn't.
>
> But it turns out that he hates blueberries as much as I do.

I absolutely LOVE blueberries. Raspberries too. I'm glad when they
are cheap and plentiful. OTOH, you can ignore them. More for me.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 23:12:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Last time I was there I bought two boxes of strawberries as they changed the
> assortment of fruits in their fruit bowl to mainly things that won't get
> eaten here. The strawberries were no good. The ones that are technically
> edible are very sour. And one box was loaded with mildewed ones right in
> the middle. Of course you could not tell this because the ones on the
> outside all looked good.

Couldn't care less. I don't hate strawberries (I'll eat them if
someone else does the work of preparing them), but I don't love them
the way I love blueberries.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 07:12:51 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> The rest of us thank you. You've been designated the shopper to be
> the bad produce recipient so that the rest of us get the good stuff.
> Good job!

Honestly!

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 23:12:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Last time I was there I bought two boxes of strawberries as they changed
>> the
>> assortment of fruits in their fruit bowl to mainly things that won't get
>> eaten here. The strawberries were no good. The ones that are
>> technically
>> edible are very sour. And one box was loaded with mildewed ones right in
>> the middle. Of course you could not tell this because the ones on the
>> outside all looked good.

> Couldn't care less. I don't hate strawberries (I'll eat them if
> someone else does the work of preparing them), but I don't love them
> the way I love blueberries.

Well I don't know what you feel you need to do to prepare strawberries! I
just pull the stalk end and eat them)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> It is not unusual to see 50 pound sacks of onions for sale in the
> area. Onions are grown here. Same with potatoes. No doubt your
> market had direct connection to the grower.

I would NEVER buy such a large amount of onions or potatoes. Most
would go bad before I ever got to them.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 10:24:17 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > "Julie Bove" wrote:
> > > Yikes! I hope this doesn't mean that we'll be seeing blueberries used in
> > > weird ways.

> > Don't worry, they aren't cheap anymore. $3.99 pint as of today.

> $1.99/pint on sale here this week.
>
> Many years ago, in an Alaska ng, some woman posted a bbq sauce using
> blueberries and I tried it. It was very good but you really didn't
> taste the blueberries in it. I can post it if anyone is interested in
> trying it (or just looking at the ingredient list).

No thanks. There are plenty of recipes online - but I've never
understood the concept. What did you use it on?

One of these days I'll try making a bourbon BBQ sauce though.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 15:48:42 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 23:12:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Last time I was there I bought two boxes of strawberries as they changed
> >> the
> >> assortment of fruits in their fruit bowl to mainly things that won't get
> >> eaten here. The strawberries were no good. The ones that are
> >> technically
> >> edible are very sour. And one box was loaded with mildewed ones right in
> >> the middle. Of course you could not tell this because the ones on the
> >> outside all looked good.

> > Couldn't care less. I don't hate strawberries (I'll eat them if
> > someone else does the work of preparing them), but I don't love them
> > the way I love blueberries.

> Well I don't know what you feel you need to do to prepare strawberries! I
> just pull the stalk end and eat them)

Exactly. That's too much work and I have the world's best gadget to
use. I also prefer them sliced.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/07/2014 7:10 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 20:57:32 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 14:18:55 -0600, Janet Bostwick
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> The Bing cherries from Washington are glorious this year. They are
>>> huge, almost the size of a ping-pong ball, juicy, sweet and almost
>>> black in color. I've gotten cherries at Winco and Costco. All
>>> cherries were great. Be on the lookout for them

>> Ah yes. Yet another example of what is sent elsewhere to be sold. I
>> bought ordinary sized sweet cherries today. No Winco here, but I'll
>> check Costco.

> Normally we would be buying cherries etc. within 30 miles of here. We
> had a dicey spring that affected the crops. Also, we are making
> bedroom communities out of former commercial fruit orchards. I used
> to love to go direct to the orchards. It was a nice Sunday afternoon
> drive. The orchards had so many varieties of each fruit. The lady
> that was in charge of the bushels of fruit would ask if your were
> planning to can, freeze or fresh eat a particular fruit. She'd then
> recommend one or the other. Apparently some varieties were better
> suited for one use or another. (Back-to-school is time for nectarines
> which I love.)
> Janet US

I find Bings almost tasteless and much prefer the Rainiers, but they
cost a lot more in our supermarkets. As a child, we used to get really
tasty cherries from someone in the village and they looked like a Rainier.
My B-I-L and I were on a cycling holiday in Provence when we saw a lady
picking cherries. So we stopped and bought a kilo and put them in our
handlebar bags to snack on as we rode along. Delish!!!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/07/2014 8:39 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 23:14:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 16:02:22 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Don't worry, they aren't cheap anymore. $3.99 pint as of today.

>> Good!

> <snip>
>> He brought me back everything but bran, including two blueberry ones
>> which he ate when I said I wouldn't.
>>
>> But it turns out that he hates blueberries as much as I do.

> I absolutely LOVE blueberries. Raspberries too. I'm glad when they
> are cheap and plentiful. OTOH, you can ignore them. More for me.

I freeze ~35lbs every year and put a handful on my breakfast cereal
every day.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> No thanks. There are plenty of recipes online - but I've never
> understood the concept. What did you use it on?

Blueberry bbq sauce. I used it on chicken. It was very good but I
really didn't notice the blueberry ingredient.

> One of these days I'll try making a bourbon BBQ sauce though.

That's what I want. Been planning to but haven't gotten around to it
yet.

The "Hungry Man" dinners have one that's chicken with honey bourbon
sauce and it's to die for. I'd like to recreate that taste.

G.