Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tartine Bread Recipe

"graham" > wrote in message
> Here is an article in the NYT for a natural levain bread. He emphasizes
> weighing in grams and although the method looks involved, if you have
> baked before it's pretty straightforward. He holds back the salt and 50g
> of water to the end of the mixing and the total hydration is a bit over
> 75%. Baked in a dutch oven.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/di...f=general&_r=0
>
> Graham

Looks good! But I don't think I like bread enough to take the time to make
that. Heh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-04-24 23:36:57 +0000, graham said:

> Here is an article in the NYT for a natural levain bread. He emphasizes
> weighing in grams and although the method looks involved, if you have
> baked before it's pretty straightforward. He holds back the salt and
> 50g of water to the end of the mixing and the total hydration is a bit
> over 75%. Baked in a dutch oven.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/di...f=general&_r=0
>

> Graham

That link somehow just keeps redirecting. Do you have a link to the
recipe that isn't behind a wall?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/24/2014 8:17 PM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
> On 2014-04-24 23:36:57 +0000, graham said:
>
>> Here is an article in the NYT for a natural levain bread. He
>> emphasizes weighing in grams and although the method looks involved,
>> if you have baked before it's pretty straightforward. He holds back
>> the salt and 50g of water to the end of the mixing and the total
>> hydration is a bit over 75%. Baked in a dutch oven.
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/di...f=general&_r=0
>>

>> Graham

> That link somehow just keeps redirecting. Do you have a link to the
> recipe that isn't behind a wall?

There was a link on that recipe's page to a "no-knead" recipe for bread,
which the Times claims is one of their most popular recipes of all time.
I have not tried it yet, but I plan to within the near futu

Dining
No-Knead Bread
Adapted from Jim Lahey, Sullivan Street Bakery
By THE NEW YORK TIMES

Here is one of the most popular recipes The Times has ever published,
courtesy of Jim Lahey, owner of Sullivan Street Bakery. It requires no
kneading. It uses no special ingredients, equipment or techniques. And
it takes very little effort — only time. You will need 24 hours to
create the bread, but much of this is unattended waiting, a slow
fermentation of the dough that results in a perfect loaf. (Sam Sifton)

TOTAL TIME
1 hour 30 minutes (plus 14 to 20 hours' rising)

Ingredients

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed

Preparation

1.
In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups
water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover
bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably
about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.
2.
Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly
flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little
more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with
plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.
3.
Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface
or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball.
Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran
or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour,
bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about
2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and
will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.
4.
At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450
degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex
or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove
pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot,
seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once
or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it
bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake
another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

YIELD
One 1 1/2-pound loaf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-04-25 00:24:54 +0000, Travis McGee said:

> [...]

> or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more
> flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise
> for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in
> size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.
> 4.
> At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450
> degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel,
> Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully
> remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over
> into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake
> pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten
> out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid
> and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned.

Thanks a lot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-04-25 02:06:27 +0000, graham said:

> On 24/04/2014 5:17 PM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
>> On 2014-04-24 23:36:57 +0000, graham said:
>>
>>> Here is an article in the NYT for a natural levain bread. He
>>> emphasizes weighing in grams and although the method looks involved,
>>> if you have baked before it's pretty straightforward. He holds back
>>> the salt and 50g of water to the end of the mixing and the total
>>> hydration is a bit over 75%. Baked in a dutch oven.
>>>
>>> http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/di...f=general&_r=0
>>>

>>> Graham

>> That link somehow just keeps redirecting. Do you have a link to the
>> recipe that isn't behind a wall?
>>

> This is the link in the article:
> http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/10162...try-bread.html
> HTH
> Graham

Sadly because of my obsessive compulsive ad-blocking precautions the
NYT web site doesn't ever seem to do anything but endlessly redirect
itself for me any more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/04/2014 5:17 PM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
> On 2014-04-24 23:36:57 +0000, graham said:
>
>> Here is an article in the NYT for a natural levain bread. He
>> emphasizes weighing in grams and although the method looks involved,
>> if you have baked before it's pretty straightforward. He holds back
>> the salt and 50g of water to the end of the mixing and the total
>> hydration is a bit over 75%. Baked in a dutch oven.
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/di...f=general&_r=0
>>

>> Graham

> That link somehow just keeps redirecting. Do you have a link to the
> recipe that isn't behind a wall?

This is the link in the article:
http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/10162...try-bread.html
HTH
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 18:33:16 -0700, Oregonian Haruspex
> wrote:

> Sadly because of my obsessive compulsive ad-blocking precautions the
> NYT web site doesn't ever seem to do anything but endlessly redirect
> itself for me any more.

I think you have a different problem. I use an ad blocker and had no
problem getting the NTY recipe.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-04-25 04:05:46 +0000, sf said:

> On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 18:33:16 -0700, Oregonian Haruspex
> > wrote:
>
>> Sadly because of my obsessive compulsive ad-blocking precautions the
>> NYT web site doesn't ever seem to do anything but endlessly redirect
>> itself for me any more.

> I think you have a different problem. I use an ad blocker and had no
> problem getting the NTY recipe.

Your ad blocker is to my ad blocker as a chain link fence is to a solid
steel wall 40 feet thick and 200 feet high, I'd wager.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 21:26:10 -0700, Oregonian Haruspex
> wrote:

> On 2014-04-25 04:05:46 +0000, sf said:
>
> > On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 18:33:16 -0700, Oregonian Haruspex
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Sadly because of my obsessive compulsive ad-blocking precautions the
> >> NYT web site doesn't ever seem to do anything but endlessly redirect
> >> itself for me any more.

> > I think you have a different problem. I use an ad blocker and had no
> > problem getting the NTY recipe.

> Your ad blocker is to my ad blocker as a chain link fence is to a solid
> steel wall 40 feet thick and 200 feet high, I'd wager.

Why aren't you naming it?

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 21:26:10 -0700, Oregonian Haruspex
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2014-04-25 04:05:46 +0000, sf said:
>>
>>> On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 18:33:16 -0700, Oregonian Haruspex

>>> I think you have a different problem. I use an ad blocker and had no
>>> problem getting the NTY recipe.

>> Your ad blocker is to my ad blocker as a chain link fence is to a solid
>> steel wall 40 feet thick and 200 feet high, I'd wager.

> Why aren't you naming it?

Well it's not a rifle or a boat, so it doesn't get a name.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Oregonian Haruspex" > wrote in message
> sf > wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 21:26:10 -0700, Oregonian Haruspex
>> > wrote:

>>> Your ad blocker is to my ad blocker as a chain link fence is to a solid
>>> steel wall 40 feet thick and 200 feet high, I'd wager.

>> Why aren't you naming it?
>>

> Well it's not a rifle or a boat, so it doesn't get a name.

It must have a name! I had one but I can't remember the name. It totally
messed up my computer and also made it impossible to go to some sites. So I
took it off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 06:35:45 +0000 (UTC), Oregonian Haruspex
> wrote:

> sf > wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 21:26:10 -0700, Oregonian Haruspex
> > > wrote:

> >> Your ad blocker is to my ad blocker as a chain link fence is to a solid
> >> steel wall 40 feet thick and 200 feet high, I'd wager.

> > Why aren't you naming it?
> >

> Well it's not a rifle or a boat, so it doesn't get a name.

Oh, okay. Sounds like you don't have one after all.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-04-25 11:14:01 +0000, Julie Bove said:

> "Oregonian Haruspex" > wrote in message
>
>> sf > wrote:
>>> On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 21:26:10 -0700, Oregonian Haruspex

>>> Why aren't you naming it?
>>>

>> Well it's not a rifle or a boat, so it doesn't get a name.

> It must have a name! I had one but I can't remember the name. It
> totally messed up my computer and also made it impossible to go to some
> sites. So I took it off.

I use a combination of Glimmerblocker, Safari Javascript Blocker, a
hosts file, and firewall rules. It's a multiple-tier defense system
that has grown over the years.