Barbtail

Default Frozen Pork Loin

I was cleaning out my freezer and found this 5 lb pork loin I bought about a
year or so ago-- it's a little freezer burned (I'll trim off that part), but
from everything I've been able to read online, the meat itself should still be
still edible...?

Because the *quality* of the meat may have suffered from prolonged freezing, I
was planning to brine the meat for 24 hours or so before cooking it.

The brine recipe I plan to use is:

1 qt apple cider
1 qt water
2/3 c kosher salt
1/3 c brown suger
couple TBs of some grape molasses I bought for a special recipe
some cloves, allspice berries, couple juniper berries, a bay leaf, small
cinnamon stick, last few TBs of maple syrup in the bottle, pinch of celery
seed, peppercorns, 1 tiny broken piece of star anise, dash of poultry
seasoning

kitchen sink won't fit in the pot

I'd love any comments or suggestions.

Thanks

Barb
Edwin Pawlowski

"Barbtail" > wrote in message
> I was cleaning out my freezer and found this 5 lb pork loin I bought

about a
> year or so ago-- it's a little freezer burned (I'll trim off that part),

Time to get a Foodsaver vacuum sealer. I've had meat in the freezer for
two years and it was as good as one day old.

Sheryl Rosen

in article , Barbtail at
wrote on 11/8/04 1:00 PM:

> I was cleaning out my freezer and found this 5 lb pork loin I bought about a
> year or so ago-- it's a little freezer burned (I'll trim off that part), but
> from everything I've been able to read online, the meat itself should still be
> still edible...?
>
> Because the *quality* of the meat may have suffered from prolonged freezing, I
> was planning to brine the meat for 24 hours or so before cooking it.
>
> The brine recipe I plan to use is:
>
> 1 qt apple cider
> 1 qt water
> 2/3 c kosher salt
> 1/3 c brown suger
> couple TBs of some grape molasses I bought for a special recipe
> some cloves, allspice berries, couple juniper berries, a bay leaf, small
> cinnamon stick, last few TBs of maple syrup in the bottle, pinch of celery
> seed, peppercorns, 1 tiny broken piece of star anise, dash of poultry
> seasoning
>
> kitchen sink won't fit in the pot
>

> I'd love any comments or suggestions.
>
> Thanks
>
> Barb

I just saw the original post.
I'm personally not fond of juniper and star anise, but if you like those
flavors, the rest of the brine seems fine to me. I don't think I'd use the
poultry seasoning with all those "sweet" spices, but that's just me. Spices
are a very personal thing. If you like that mixture, go for it.

The technique seems ok to me. Brining it would plump up the fibers a bit,
might not be a bad idea after being in the freezer so long.

Will you roast it after the brining, or are you planning to braise it? I
think of shoulder as a braising cut, the loin, to me, is more tender and
should be roasted.

Barbtail

Sheryl writes:

>I just saw the original post.
>I'm personally not fond of juniper and star anise, but if you like those
>flavors, the rest of the brine seems fine to me. I don't think I'd use the
>poultry seasoning with all those "sweet" spices, but that's just me. Spices
>are a very personal thing. If you like that mixture, go for it.
>
>The technique seems ok to me. Brining it would plump up the fibers a bit,
>might not be a bad idea after being in the freezer so long.
>
>Will you roast it after the brining, or are you planning to braise it? I
>think of shoulder as a braising cut, the loin, to me, is more tender and
>should be roasted.

I was hoping it would be ok to roast after brining. It is usually a very
tender and lean cut.

I love pulled pork bbq sandwiches, but I like to get a fatty cut like
shoulder then slow roast it for 4 or 5 hours before pulling it and adding it
to BBQ sauce. Pork loin may not work well for BBQ pork.

I considered braising and stewing, but there again what a waste of a pork loin
*laughs*. I was hoping a brine would work some magic. I recently discovered
juniper berries (gosh they are wonderful) and altho they can be strong I
thought 2-3 berries might just add a little something without overpowering the
brine- same thing with the star anise which I have a healthy respect for
because it's very strong so I only used 1 *petal* broken from the star. (
Yes, my pork is brining as I write).

I think I'm going to try this recipe as it should marry well with the sweet
spices I used in the brine:

*********Or just thaw, season well with salt, pepper, whatever herbs you
like (thyme and savory work nicely), then slice up a couple apples and a
couple onions, add a half cup of apple juice, set the roast on top of the
onions and apples, fat side up, and roast it at 375 for about 20 minutes per
pound.

When the meat is done, remove it to a platter with the onions and apples,
and make pan gravy, adding a little dry white wine to the drippings.
***********

Looks like potatoes are the way to go for a side dish. Potato Pancakes yum ooo
and braised red cabbage.

Thank you so much for the feedback!

*happy smile*

Barb
Barbtail

Sheryl writes:

>I just saw the original post.
>I'm personally not fond of juniper and star anise, but if you like those
>flavors, the rest of the brine seems fine to me. I don't think I'd use the
>poultry seasoning with all those "sweet" spices, but that's just me. Spices
>are a very personal thing. If you like that mixture, go for it.
>
>The technique seems ok to me. Brining it would plump up the fibers a bit,
>might not be a bad idea after being in the freezer so long.
>
>Will you roast it after the brining, or are you planning to braise it? I
>think of shoulder as a braising cut, the loin, to me, is more tender and
>should be roasted.

I was hoping it would be ok to roast after brining. It is usually a very
tender and lean cut.

I love pulled pork bbq sandwiches, but I like to get a fatty cut like
shoulder then slow roast it for 4 or 5 hours before pulling it and adding it
to BBQ sauce. Pork loin may not work well for BBQ pork.

I considered braising and stewing, but there again what a waste of a pork loin
*laughs*. I was hoping a brine would work some magic. I recently discovered
juniper berries (gosh they are wonderful) and altho they can be strong I
thought 2-3 berries might just add a little something without overpowering the
brine- same thing with the star anise which I have a healthy respect for
because it's very strong so I only used 1 *petal* broken from the star. (
Yes, my pork is brining as I write).

I think I'm going to try this recipe as it should marry well with the sweet
spices I used in the brine:

*********Or just thaw, season well with salt, pepper, whatever herbs you
like (thyme and savory work nicely), then slice up a couple apples and a
couple onions, add a half cup of apple juice, set the roast on top of the
onions and apples, fat side up, and roast it at 375 for about 20 minutes per
pound.

When the meat is done, remove it to a platter with the onions and apples,
and make pan gravy, adding a little dry white wine to the drippings.
***********

Looks like potatoes are the way to go for a side dish. Potato Pancakes yum ooo
and braised red cabbage.

Thank you so much for the feedback!

*happy smile*

Barb
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
(Barbtail) wrote:

> I was cleaning out my freezer and found this 5 lb pork loin I bought
> about a year or so ago-- it's a little freezer burned (I'll trim off
> that part), but from everything I've been able to read online, the
> meat itself should still be still edible...?

Sure. It is still wholesome.

> Because the *quality* of the meat may have suffered from prolonged
> freezing, I was planning to brine the meat for 24 hours or so before
> cooking it.
>

> The brine recipe I plan to use is:
>
> 1 qt apple cider
> 1 qt water
> 2/3 c kosher salt
> 1/3 c brown suger
> couple TBs of some grape molasses I bought for a special recipe
> some cloves, allspice berries, couple juniper berries, a bay leaf,
> small cinnamon stick, last few TBs of maple syrup in the bottle,
> pinch of celery seed, peppercorns, 1 tiny broken piece of star
> anise, dash of poultry seasoning
>
> kitchen sink won't fit in the pot
>

> I'd love any comments or suggestions.
>
> Thanks
>
> Barb

First be sure it hasn't already been shot up with a salt water solution.
Everything I find here (Minneapolis) has been so treated. If it's
already been injected, I wouldn't brine it. Your best route to success
is to not overcook it -- a little pink is okay.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-10-04, The Butter Dish.
"There is no indigestion worse than that which comes from having

PENMART01

> Melba's Jammin' writes"
>
>>(Barbtail) wrote:
>>
>> I was cleaning out my freezer and found this 5 lb pork loin I bought
>> about a year or so ago-- it's a little freezer burned (I'll trim off
>> that part), but from everything I've been able to read online, the
>> meat itself should still be still edible...?

>Sure. It is still wholesome.
>

>> Because the *quality* of the meat may have suffered from prolonged
>> freezing, I was planning to brine the meat for 24 hours or so before
>> cooking it.

>First be sure it hasn't already been shot up with a salt water solution.
>Everything I find here (Minneapolis) has been so treated. If it's
>already been injected, I wouldn't brine it. Your best route to success
>is to not overcook it -- a little pink is okay.

I'd be concerned with meat that was "shot up with brine" freezing properly,
especially for long term storage.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
GoombaP

A little pink may be okay for you, but I'd never serve pork any way but well
done.

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> (Barbtail) wrote:
>
> > I was cleaning out my freezer and found this 5 lb pork loin I bought
> > about a year or so ago-- it's a little freezer burned (I'll trim off
> > that part), but from everything I've been able to read online, the
> > meat itself should still be still edible...?

> Sure. It is still wholesome.
>

> > Because the *quality* of the meat may have suffered from prolonged
> > freezing, I was planning to brine the meat for 24 hours or so before
> > cooking it.
> >

> > The brine recipe I plan to use is:
> >
> > 1 qt apple cider
> > 1 qt water
> > 2/3 c kosher salt
> > 1/3 c brown suger
> > couple TBs of some grape molasses I bought for a special recipe
> > some cloves, allspice berries, couple juniper berries, a bay leaf,
> > small cinnamon stick, last few TBs of maple syrup in the bottle,
> > pinch of celery seed, peppercorns, 1 tiny broken piece of star
> > anise, dash of poultry seasoning
> >
> > kitchen sink won't fit in the pot
> >

> > I'd love any comments or suggestions.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Barb

> First be sure it hasn't already been shot up with a salt water solution.
> Everything I find here (Minneapolis) has been so treated. If it's
> already been injected, I wouldn't brine it. Your best route to success
> is to not overcook it -- a little pink is okay.
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-10-04, The Butter Dish.
> "There is no indigestion worse than that which comes from having
> to eat your own words."

: A little pink may be okay for you, but I'd never serve pork any way but well
: done.

Why not? In today's modern time, you don't need to worry about
trichinosis anymore. There hasn't been a case of it reported
since the 1970's. It's amazing how many people still overcook pork
nowadays.

PENMART01

>Bob Merkin writes:
>
>>somewon sed:
>>
>>A little pink may be okay for you, but I'd never serve pork any way but well

done.

>It's amazing how many people still overcook pork nowadays.

It's amazing how many people still think displaying All-Crap will make them a
cook.
Fully cooked does not mean over cooked.

Not only does rare pork have the same slimey texture of rare poultry, it smells
rank too. Pork needs to be fully cooked to attain proper texture and its full
flavor potential. Anyone who has undercooked a fresh ham would know how
disgusting rare pork can be. I know of no restaurant that asks how you want
your pork chop cooked... rare ribs anyone? Let's outlaw crisp bacon too...
limp, rubbery, just barely heated bacon is a real eye opener first thing in the
morning.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>Bob Merkin writes:
>
>>somewon sed:
>>
>>A little pink may be okay for you, but I'd never serve pork any way but well

done.

>It's amazing how many people still overcook pork nowadays.

It's amazing how many people still think displaying All-Crap will make them a
cook.
Fully cooked does not mean over cooked.

Not only does rare pork have the same slimey texture of rare poultry, it smells
rank too. Pork needs to be fully cooked to attain proper texture and its full
flavor potential. Anyone who has undercooked a fresh ham would know how
disgusting rare pork can be. I know of no restaurant that asks how you want
your pork chop cooked... rare ribs anyone? Let's outlaw crisp bacon too...
limp, rubbery, just barely heated bacon is a real eye opener first thing in the
morning.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Kswck

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >Bob Merkin writes:
>>
>>>somewon sed:
>>>
>>>A little pink may be okay for you, but I'd never serve pork any way but
>>>well

> done.
>
>>It's amazing how many people still overcook pork nowadays.

> It's amazing how many people still think displaying All-Crap will make
> them a
> cook.
> Fully cooked does not mean over cooked.
>
> Not only does rare pork have the same slimey texture of rare poultry, it
> smells
> rank too. Pork needs to be fully cooked to attain proper texture and its
> full
> flavor potential. Anyone who has undercooked a fresh ham would know how
> disgusting rare pork can be. I know of no restaurant that asks how you
> want
> your pork chop cooked... rare ribs anyone? Let's outlaw crisp bacon
> too...
> limp, rubbery, just barely heated bacon is a real eye opener first thing
> in the
> morning.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> Sheldon
> ````````````

So then just a HINT of poink is a no-no as well?
I don't think the previous poster was referring to rare pork, just a bit of
pink.
Agreed though that overcooked pork is nasty as well.
My mother used to pan fry pork chops to death and then dump sauerkraut on
top to 'moisten them up'. Yuck.

Kswck

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >Bob Merkin writes:
>>
>>>somewon sed:
>>>
>>>A little pink may be okay for you, but I'd never serve pork any way but
>>>well

> done.
>
>>It's amazing how many people still overcook pork nowadays.

> It's amazing how many people still think displaying All-Crap will make
> them a
> cook.
> Fully cooked does not mean over cooked.
>
> Not only does rare pork have the same slimey texture of rare poultry, it
> smells
> rank too. Pork needs to be fully cooked to attain proper texture and its
> full
> flavor potential. Anyone who has undercooked a fresh ham would know how
> disgusting rare pork can be. I know of no restaurant that asks how you
> want
> your pork chop cooked... rare ribs anyone? Let's outlaw crisp bacon
> too...
> limp, rubbery, just barely heated bacon is a real eye opener first thing
> in the
> morning.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> Sheldon
> ````````````

So then just a HINT of poink is a no-no as well?
I don't think the previous poster was referring to rare pork, just a bit of
pink.
Agreed though that overcooked pork is nasty as well.
My mother used to pan fry pork chops to death and then dump sauerkraut on
top to 'moisten them up'. Yuck.

PENMART01

>"Kswck"
>
>I don't think the previous poster was referring to rare pork, just a bit of
>pink.

There's only one kinda pink I like to pork.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>"Kswck"
>
>I don't think the previous poster was referring to rare pork, just a bit of
>pink.

There's only one kinda pink I like to pork.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Gregory Morrow

PENMART01 wrote:

> Let's outlaw crisp bacon too...
> limp, rubbery, just barely heated bacon is a real eye opener first thing

in the
> morning.

Hehe...I know that's something you'd never attempt to fob off on yer
paramours when they first wake up...

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

PENMART01 wrote:

> Let's outlaw crisp bacon too...
> limp, rubbery, just barely heated bacon is a real eye opener first thing

in the
> morning.

Hehe...I know that's something you'd never attempt to fob off on yer
paramours when they first wake up...

--
Best
Greg

PENMART01

>"Gregory Morrow" writes:L
>
>PENMART01 wrote:
>
>> Let's outlaw crisp bacon too...
>> limp, rubbery, just barely heated bacon is a real eye opener first thing

>in the
>> morning.

>Hehe...I know that's something you'd never attempt to fob off on yer
>paramours when they first wake up...

Nah, I give em organic pork, stiff n' hard.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Stark

In article >, PENMART01
> wrote:

> >"Kswck"
> >
> >I don't think the previous poster was referring to rare pork, just a bit of
> >pink.

> There's only one kinda pink I like to pork.

There he goes bragging about his palm pilot again.
Stark

In article >, PENMART01
> wrote:

> >"Kswck"
> >
> >I don't think the previous poster was referring to rare pork, just a bit of
> >pink.

> There's only one kinda pink I like to pork.

There he goes bragging about his palm pilot again.

Bob (this one)

Kswck wrote:

> "PENMART01" > wrote in message=20
>=20
>>> Bob Merkin writes:
>>>=20

If safety is the issue - trichinosis - pork is fine at 140=B0F center=20
temperature as trichinae are dead at 137=B0F. That's medium and the=20
temperature to which I cook pork loins and pork roasts, unless they're=20
very fatty in which case I cook them to about 150=B0 to render some of=20
the fat. It'll still be moist and tender and there'll be enough fat=20
still in it to provide a sense of moisture and good flavor.

The likelihood of finding trichinae in commercial pork nowadays is=20
trivial.

>>> It's amazing how many people still overcook pork nowadays.

>>=20
>> It's amazing how many people still think displaying All-Crap will
>> make them a cook. Fully cooked does not mean over cooked.

Fully-cooked does not mean anything. Is that well-done? What does that=20
mean? What temperature? What color?

>> Not only does rare pork have the same slimey texture of rare
>> poultry, it smells rank too. Pork needs to be fully cooked to
>> attain proper texture and its full flavor potential. Anyone who
>> has undercooked a fresh ham would know how disgusting rare pork
>> can be. I know of no restaurant that asks how you want your pork
>> chop cooked...

You might want to try one without drive-through windows.

>< rare ribs anyone? Let's outlaw crisp bacon too...
>> limp, rubbery, just barely heated bacon is a real eye opener
>> first thing in the morning.

Standard Sheldon know-nothing bullshit. "Fully-cooked" means fat=20
rendered and water-based juices wrung out by protein denaturing - all=20
guaranteeing a distinct loss of flavor and mouthfeel. And leave it to=20
Sheldon to deal with the extreme of "rare" pork even though no one=20
else has mentioned it.

The fact is that rare pork has a compressibility and stretch very=20
similar to beef. The flavor is unfamiliar because it's almost never=20
done that way. If you're of a mind to try it, freezing pork for a time=20
(google) will guarantee no trichinae and you could try pork tartare if=20
you'd like.

The surface texture of raw and rare pork is meaty and savory, not at=20
all slimy and certainly not rank-smelling. Does roasting pork produce=20
a rank smell in your kitchen? Right. More wisdom from Sheldon.

> So then just a HINT of pink is a no-no as well? I don't think the
> Agreed though that overcooked pork is nasty as well. My mother used
> to pan fry pork chops to death and then dump sauerkraut on top to
> 'moisten them up'. Yuck.

Exactly. What many of us grew up with. Pork roasts cooked to 140=B0F,=20
pulled to rest for a few minutes (the temp will rise as much as 10=B0)=20
and carved will be shockingly moist, subtly flavorful and not at all=20
like the pork of yore. Cold, it slices most wonderfully for=20
sandwiches. I bought a boneless pork loin yesterday from Costco=20
($1.89/lb) that I will season with granulated garlic and seasoning=20
salt (very liberally) and roast in my convection oven at 250=B0F to=20
140=B0F center temp. Wonderful sliced into 1-inch cutlets for dinner and =

leftovers for sandwiches (open-faced with gravy, cold on wheat bread,=20
sliced very thinly and frizzled on a griddle and piled on crisp rolls...)=
=2E

Pastorio

The_Crazy_Fool

Bob (this one) wrote:
> [...]

> > to pan fry pork chops to death and then dump sauerkraut on top to
> > 'moisten them up'. Yuck.

> Exactly. What many of us grew up with. Pork roasts cooked to 140=B0F,
> pulled to rest for a few minutes (the temp will rise as much as 10=B0)

> and carved will be shockingly moist, subtly flavorful and not at all
> like the pork of yore. Cold, it slices most wonderfully for
> sandwiches. I bought a boneless pork loin yesterday from Costco
> ($1.89/lb) that I will season with granulated garlic and seasoning
> salt (very liberally) and roast in my convection oven at 250=B0F to
> 140=B0F center temp. Wonderful sliced into 1-inch cutlets for dinner

and
> leftovers for sandwiches (open-faced with gravy, cold on wheat bread,

> sliced very thinly and frizzled on a griddle and piled on crisp

Nice hehe :P