Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Babka -- Is nothing sacred?

Growing up, my grandmother made a wonderful traditional babka with a
crumb topping. Lots of eggs, golden raisins, all pure ingredients, of
course. Babka has either nothing on the top or a crumb topping from
butter and sugar.

Yesterday we went to Stop & Shop and as we passed the bakery department
I saw babka. Except it had a sugar glaze icing and colored sprinkles on
top. What idiot came up with that idea?

It must have been like an earthquake in Poland as all the grandmothers
turned in their graves.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> Growing up, my grandmother made a wonderful traditional babka with a crumb
> topping. Lots of eggs, golden raisins, all pure ingredients, of course.
> Babka has either nothing on the top or a crumb topping from butter and
> sugar.
>
> Yesterday we went to Stop & Shop and as we passed the bakery department I
> saw babka. Except it had a sugar glaze icing and colored sprinkles on
> top. What idiot came up with that idea?
>
> It must have been like an earthquake in Poland as all the grandmothers
> turned in their graves.

They do bad things to ruggulah (sp?) too. Bears no resemblance to the real
thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-04-19, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> Growing up, my grandmother made a wonderful traditional babka with a
> crumb topping. Lots of eggs, golden raisins.....

Cough it up, Ed!!

If there's two things I love, it's eggs and golden raisins. Yet, I've
never heard of babka or anything combining those two ingredients.
What is it? Sounds Jewish, but despite always intrigued by Jewish
cuisine, I've never heard of it.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/19/2014 5:02 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-04-19, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>>
>> Growing up, my grandmother made a wonderful traditional babka with a
>> crumb topping. Lots of eggs, golden raisins.....

> Cough it up, Ed!!
>
> If there's two things I love, it's eggs and golden raisins. Yet, I've
> never heard of babka or anything combining those two ingredients.
> What is it? Sounds Jewish, but despite always intrigued by Jewish
> cuisine, I've never heard of it.
>
> nb

It's Polish. It's a wonderful cake similar (but much better) to coffee
cake.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/19/2014 6:02 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-04-19, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>>
>> Growing up, my grandmother made a wonderful traditional babka with a
>> crumb topping. Lots of eggs, golden raisins.....

> Cough it up, Ed!!
>
> If there's two things I love, it's eggs and golden raisins. Yet, I've
> never heard of babka or anything combining those two ingredients.
> What is it? Sounds Jewish, but despite always intrigued by Jewish
> cuisine, I've never heard of it.
>
> nb

Babaka has a yellow color from about a dozen egg yolks in the mix. You
can make them with cheese, poppy seeds or raisins.

Sadly, when I was younger I never bothered to watch just how my
grandmother made it so the actual method is long gone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/19/2014 9:59 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 15:08:22 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> Growing up, my grandmother made a wonderful traditional babka with a
>> crumb topping. Lots of eggs, golden raisins, all pure ingredients, of
>> course. Babka has either nothing on the top or a crumb topping from
>> butter and sugar.
>>
>> Yesterday we went to Stop & Shop and as we passed the bakery department
>> I saw babka. Except it had a sugar glaze icing and colored sprinkles on
>> top. What idiot came up with that idea?

> It also had jelly beans inside rather than raisins.

Ick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 19, 2014 3:02:44 PM UTC-7, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-04-19, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>

> > Growing up, my grandmother made a wonderful traditional babka with a
> > crumb topping. Lots of eggs, golden raisins.....

> Cough it up, Ed!!
>
> If there's two things I love, it's eggs and golden raisins. Yet, I've
> never heard of babka or anything combining those two ingredients.
> What is it? Sounds Jewish, but despite always intrigued by Jewish
> cuisine, I've never heard of it.

Jews did live, more or less harmoniously, in Poland for hundreds of
years, and share a lot of food names, such as kishke or krupnik. But the
names may not be describing the same dish. The Polish kishke contains
blood as well as buckwheat groats.

Babka is Polish for grandmother. It shares a root with the Yiddish bubbeh.

For interest, zeyde is tied even more closely to the Polish for
grandfather, dziadek.

Robert Strybel is pretty reliable on Polish recipes. This babka has eggs
and (possibly golden) raisins.

http://www.food.com/recipe/polish-ba...ad-easy-267033
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 20:59:17 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> It also had jelly beans inside rather than raisins.
>
> -sw

Look what YOU did to poor Omelet:

>> Omelet wrote:
>>
>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
> meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw