Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pork Hocks?

I bought a package of pork hocks yesterday as my impulse purchase du jour.

Plain pork hocks. Not ham. Not smoked.

What to do with them? (other than cook low and slow, of course)

I've seen:

.... with greens
.... with beans
.... with vegetables
various "Asian" recipes

If any of you have a favorite use for these things, I'd like to hear about it!

--
Silvar Beitel

Posted to rec.food.cooking

lucretiaborgia wrote:
>silverbeetle wrote:
>
>>I bought a package of pork hocks yesterday as my impulse purchase du jour.
>>
>>Plain pork hocks. Not ham. Not smoked.
>>
>>What to do with them? (other than cook low and slow, of course)
>>If any of you have a favorite use for these things, I'd like to hear about it!

>I always get them to make pea soup, can't be beat.

He's talking plain/raw, not smoked... for pea soup I use smoked hocks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/16/2014 1:47 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> lucretiaborgia wrote:
>> silverbeetle wrote:
>>
>>> I bought a package of pork hocks yesterday as my impulse purchase du jour.
>>>
>>> Plain pork hocks. Not ham. Not smoked.
>>>
>>> What to do with them? (other than cook low and slow, of course)
>>> If any of you have a favorite use for these things, I'd like to hear about it!

>> I always get them to make pea soup, can't be beat.

> He's talking plain/raw, not smoked... for pea soup I use smoked hocks.

Sorry, I didn't notice the "fresh" part.

In the Philippines they have a dish known as "crispy pata"; I used to
get it from room service when I was working there (I have never tried to
make it myself). It was basically a pig's knuckle simmered until soft,
and then deep-fried long enough to crisp up the skin. It was served with
a sweet-sour-spicy sauce. The recipes on the web call for a whole leg
("pata"), but I think they would work well with fresh ham hocks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/16/2014 12:44 PM, sf wrote:
> I've only used fresh hocks once - I forget what I did, but I concluded
> that I'd just use pork butt if I ever saw it called for in a recipe
> again.

I used fresh hocks once to make Head Cheese (instead of a pig's head).

Worked pretty well... a good meat to skin ratio and plenty of collagen
to make the head cheese set up firmly enough.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Travis McGee wrote:

> One thing I plan on trying some day is making hash with the meat.

You can NEVER go wrong making hash using leftover any ham product. I
do that often. Ham, potatoes, onions, all fried. It a darn good meal.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> lucretiaborgia wrote:
> > silverbeetle wrote:
> >
> > > I bought a package of pork hocks yesterday as my impulse purchase
> > > du jour.
> > >
> > > Plain pork hocks. Not ham. Not smoked.
> > >
> > > What to do with them? (other than cook low and slow, of course)
> > > If any of you have a favorite use for these things, I'd like to
> > > hear about it!

> > I always get them to make pea soup, can't be beat.

> He's talking plain/raw, not smoked... for pea soup I use smoked hocks.

Yes, but they do not have to be smoked to work in many dishes. Sme
folks i am told will add a little Kitchen Bouquet if unsmoked to add
that touch of flavor in. I have not tried that.

I commonly get 'fresh trotters' (not smoked or cured in any way) and
they work well. Depending on how you want to spice the dish, fresh
ones can be better.

Here's another use I do at times. This recipe makes suitable additions
for about 14 bowls of Pho (noodle soup).

In a small crockpot (I have a mini but you can expand) add:

1/2 cup (yes, cup) minced garlic

2 cups small cubed fresh pigfeet (remove bones, skin up to your tastes)

1 cup pork broth (I use water and minors pork broth but you can use
chicken based broth too if you like)

Optional: 1/4 TS tiparos 'fish sauce' (Patis)

Set on a low simmer for about 8 hours and check. The garlic should be
melting apart. Mash it up a bit and the meat should be fairly whole
but the garlic deconstructed. Your 3.5 cup yield gets used at 1/4 cup
per Pho bowl.

I use Pho here because this recipe is closer to Korean/Vietnamese but
the same mix works as well in Juk, Ramen, rice porridge and other
dishes of the eastern orient.

You can freese this in standard sized ice cube trays and bag them and
use them 2 to a bowl just fine.

Many add hot sauce when cooking this but i like the flexibility of
adding that later.

Notation: Fish sauce is a very generic term. Tiparous is a genuine fish
sauce meaning made of fish. More is not better unless used to it.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > wrote in :

> Travis McGee wrote:
>>
>> One thing I plan on trying some day is making hash with the meat.

> You can NEVER go wrong making hash using leftover any ham product. I
> do that often. Ham, potatoes, onions, all fried. It a darn good meal.
>
> G.

I love canned corned beef hash. I've never tried making my own hash of any
kind - maybe I should some time. Shouldn't be that difficult. I'll have to
look in _Joy of Cooking_.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17 Apr 2014 16:21:56 GMT, KenK > wrote:

> I love canned corned beef hash. I've never tried making my own hash of any
> kind - maybe I should some time. Shouldn't be that difficult. I'll have to
> look in _Joy of Cooking_.

Really??? Buy twice as much corned beef as you'll need for dinner and
give it a try sometime. After you do, you'll never go back to canned.
Honest.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 17, 2014 1:36:30 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> On 17 Apr 2014 16:21:56 GMT, KenK > wrote:
>

> > I love canned corned beef hash. I've never tried making my own hash of any

> > kind - maybe I should some time. Shouldn't be that difficult. I'll have to

> > look in _Joy of Cooking_.

> Really??? Buy twice as much corned beef as you'll need for dinner and
>
> give it a try sometime. After you do, you'll never go back to canned.
>
> Honest.

I've never had home made corned beef. I've only had the stuff you buy at the Deli. I however, find it too salty. It's tasty, I agree, but since I've been cutting back (just a little, not 100%)on sodium, I find that many prepared meats are way over the top with the salt. Folks will say that it's necessary as a preservative. I don't agree. We made our own sausage and never put that much salt into it. I've never had a spoiled sausage that we made. It was smoked and kept in a cool cellar though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.israel,alt.military.uk

On 4/16/2014 6:58 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> I like a bean soup with smoked ham hock.

Nazi food wants, droll...

"I admire the Zell character in 'Marathon Man.' Except for the end part
where he gets humiliated and has to eat his diamonds.
I'm a Nazi.
Really."

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.israel,uk.politics

On 4/17/2014 12:08 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> We made our own sausage and never put that much salt into it.

Let me guess, it was a non Kosher product, right Nazi?

"I admire the Zell character in 'Marathon Man.' Except for the end part
where he gets humiliated and has to eat his diamonds.
I'm a Nazi.
Really."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

> I've never had home made corned beef. I've only had the stuff you buy at the Deli. I however, find it too salty. It's tasty, I agree, but since I've been cutting back (just a little, not 100%)on sodium, I find that many prepared meats are way over the top with the salt. Folks will say that it's necessary as a preservative. I don't agree. We made our own sausage and never put that much salt into it. I've never had a spoiled sausage that we made. It was smoked and kept in a cool cellar though.

Salt cured meat just needs to be soaked overnight or so before
cooking. When I was age 19 (autumn of 1971), the last dinosaurs had
just died out and a neighbor gave my mother a home butchered
salt-cured ham. They raised their own piggies.

Well, mom hadn't had one of those in years, so she totally forgot
about the presoaking and just put it in the oven.

At the dinner table later that night, Mom, Dad, me and my brother and
sister all sat down to a nice ham dinner. All of them freaked out with
the super salty taste and none of them ate their ham.

As for me....always the "black sheep" of the family, it was a bit
salty for me too but I like salty stuff, so I was good with the ham. I
ate all of their servings that night plus all the rest of that ham was
left for me to kill off too. I was happy. ;-D

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:

>I love canned corned beef hash. I've never tried making my own hash of any
>kind.

TIAD!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-04-17 12:21 PM, KenK wrote:

> I love canned corned beef hash. I've never tried making my own hash of any
> kind - maybe I should some time. Shouldn't be that difficult. I'll have to
> look in _Joy of Cooking_.

When I was a kid there was the boiled corned beef we had once or twice a
year and there was canned corned beef. I confess that I used to enjoy
canned corned beef sandwiches.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 11:12:06 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Doris Night" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 19:45:47 -0300, wrote:

>>>I don't sort of think of canned corned beef as corned beef, but like
>>>you I do enjoy a sandwich made with it once or twice a year, smeared
>>>with Colmans mustard. (Think I have an idea what is for lunch
>>>tomorrow now)

>> My husband makes me buy canned corned beef every couple of years. I
>> don't like it, so it's all for him, but he doesn't manage to get
>> through the whole tin before it gets old and we toss it.

>I used to like it but now I find it too salty. DH loves it though. I've
>only ever had the canned kind. I assume yours is similar to the one we get
>here?

It's this stuff:

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/corned-b...FecWMgod42YAmQ

I don't know what they do to it, but the texture is like meatloaf.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 11:12:06 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Doris Night" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> My husband makes me buy canned corned beef every couple of years. I
>>> don't like it, so it's all for him, but he doesn't manage to get
>>> through the whole tin before it gets old and we toss it.

>>I used to like it but now I find it too salty. DH loves it though. I've
>>only ever had the canned kind. I assume yours is similar to the one we
>>get
>>here?

> It's this stuff:

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/corned-b...FecWMgod42YAmQ

I suspect it might be

> I don't know what they do to it, but the texture is like meatloaf.

Very fatty?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 11:12:06 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "Doris Night" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 19:45:47 -0300, wrote:
> >

> >>I don't sort of think of canned corned beef as corned beef, but like
> >>you I do enjoy a sandwich made with it once or twice a year, smeared
> >>with Colmans mustard. (Think I have an idea what is for lunch
> >>tomorrow now)

> > My husband makes me buy canned corned beef every couple of years. I
> > don't like it, so it's all for him, but he doesn't manage to get
> > through the whole tin before it gets old and we toss it.

> I used to like it but now I find it too salty. DH loves it though. I've
> only ever had the canned kind. I assume yours is similar to the one we get
> here?

Can't say I've ever eaten canned corn beef, only canned corned beef
hash. Have you ever tried soaking it in clear water for a few hours?
I used to do that back in the day when bone in hams and corned beef
were too salty. After a few years I got smart and didn't bother doing
that. I'd bring it just to a boil, toss the water and start over with
clear. Same result, less effort on my part, but I didn't run the risk
of my meat falling apart - so just a long soak in clear water (maybe
changing it a couple of times) might work for you. Be careful of
leaching out too much salt, that can happen too. Better to err on the
side of caution and work up to longer soaks, than to disappoint
yourself with bland corned beef the first time you try it.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 09:29:29 -0400, Doris Night
> wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 11:12:06 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> .. .

> >> My husband makes me buy canned corned beef every couple of years. I
> >> don't like it, so it's all for him, but he doesn't manage to get
> >> through the whole tin before it gets old and we toss it.

> >I used to like it but now I find it too salty. DH loves it though. I've
> >only ever had the canned kind. I assume yours is similar to the one we get
> >here?

> It's this stuff:

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/corned-b...FecWMgod42YAmQ

> I don't know what they do to it, but the texture is like meatloaf.

How awful! Sounds like it's corned beef hash without the potatoes and
whatever else it is they put into canned corned beef hash. Have you
ever thought about cutting it into slices/portions that he'd use for
his sandwich and freezing them individually for him to use whenever
he's in the mood?

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote in
:

> On 2014-04-17 12:21 PM, KenK wrote:
>
>> I love canned corned beef hash. I've never tried making my own hash
>> of any kind - maybe I should some time. Shouldn't be that difficult.
>> I'll have to look in _Joy of Cooking_.
>>

> When I was a kid there was the boiled corned beef we had once or twice
> a year and there was canned corned beef. I confess that I used to
> enjoy canned corned beef sandwiches.

I like those too. I'd make them more often but it's rather expensive
compared with other sandwich fillers. Though perhaps I'm wrong and should
compare more accurately.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 11:12:06 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>> > My husband makes me buy canned corned beef every couple of years. I
>> > don't like it, so it's all for him, but he doesn't manage to get
>> > through the whole tin before it gets old and we toss it.

>> I used to like it but now I find it too salty. DH loves it though. I've
>> only ever had the canned kind. I assume yours is similar to the one we
>> get
>> here?

> Can't say I've ever eaten canned corn beef, only canned corned beef
> hash. Have you ever tried soaking it in clear water for a few hours?
> I used to do that back in the day when bone in hams and corned beef
> were too salty. After a few years I got smart and didn't bother doing
> that. I'd bring it just to a boil, toss the water and start over with
> clear. Same result, less effort on my part, but I didn't run the risk
> of my meat falling apart - so just a long soak in clear water (maybe
> changing it a couple of times) might work for you. Be careful of
> leaching out too much salt, that can happen too. Better to err on the
> side of caution and work up to longer soaks, than to disappoint
> yourself with bland corned beef the first time you try it.

If I soaked it, it would turn into a glob of goo!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Can't say I've ever eaten canned corn beef, only canned corned beef
>>> hash. Have you ever tried soaking it in clear water for a few hours?
>>> I used to do that back in the day when bone in hams and corned beef
>>> were too salty. After a few years I got smart and didn't bother doing
>>> that. I'd bring it just to a boil, toss the water and start over with
>>> clear. Same result, less effort on my part, but I didn't run the risk
>>> of my meat falling apart - so just a long soak in clear water (maybe
>>> changing it a couple of times) might work for you. Be careful of
>>> leaching out too much salt, that can happen too. Better to err on the
>>> side of caution and work up to longer soaks, than to disappoint
>>> yourself with bland corned beef the first time you try it.

>> If I soaked it, it would turn into a glob of goo!

> Correct, canned corned beef is not soakable.

The result would probably be like soaking the contents of a can of Spam. LOL

However, sf did segue into "back in the day when bone in hams and corned
beef were too salty" she soaked them. She never said to soak canned
corned beef. Or did she? The reply was a little confusing.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 17:57:44 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> If I soaked it, it would turn into a glob of goo!

Yuck! Sounds disgusting.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 13:48:16 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> However, sf did segue into "back in the day when bone in hams and corned
> beef were too salty" she soaked them. She never said to soak canned
> corned beef. Or did she? The reply was a little confusing.

I don't deal with canned meat, so I was hoping for the best scenario
and got the worst.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/18/2014 8:33 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 13:48:16 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> However, sf did segue into "back in the day when bone in hams and corned
>> beef were too salty" she soaked them. She never said to soak canned
>> corned beef. Or did she? The reply was a little confusing.

> I don't deal with canned meat, so I was hoping for the best scenario
> and got the worst.

Good try, anyway.

Jill