Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soul Food Lunch

We had our annual soul food lunch and fundraiser at school today. I
brought red beans and rice. I ate fried chicken, dressing, green beans,
collard greens, mac and cheese, squash casserole, okra, pinto beans, and
cornbread, accompanied by tomato chutney and chow chow. I had sweet
potato pie for dessert. The table also held ham, biscuits, potato salad,
black-eyed peas, corn, plenty of dishes I'm forgetting, and many other
desserts.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Friday, February 28, 2014 3:11:44 PM UTC-8, Tara wrote:
> We had our annual soul food lunch and fundraiser at school today. I
>
> brought red beans and rice. I ate fried chicken, dressing, green beans,
>
> collard greens, mac and cheese, squash casserole, okra, pinto beans, and
>
> cornbread, accompanied by tomato chutney and chow chow. I had sweet
>
> potato pie for dessert. The table also held ham, biscuits, potato salad,
>
> black-eyed peas, corn, plenty of dishes I'm forgetting, and many other
>
> desserts.
>

> Tara

Damn girl!.......you are making me homesick !

That's a family reunion spread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:

>We had our annual soul food lunch and fundraiser at school today. I
>brought red beans and rice. I ate fried chicken, dressing, green beans,
>collard greens, mac and cheese, squash casserole, okra, pinto beans, and
>cornbread, accompanied by tomato chutney and chow chow. I had sweet
>potato pie for dessert. The table also held ham, biscuits, potato salad,
>black-eyed peas, corn, plenty of dishes I'm forgetting, and many other
>desserts.

Ach... too bad you didn't snap some pics of that table... sounds
scrum-dilly-umptious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:14:37 -0800, ImStillMags wrote:

> Damn girl!.......you are making me homesick !
>
> That's a family reunion spread.

We call a piled-up plate a "family reunion plate"!

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 17:11:44 -0600, Tara >
wrote:

>We had our annual soul food lunch and fundraiser at school today. I
>brought red beans and rice. I ate fried chicken, dressing, green beans,
>collard greens, mac and cheese, squash casserole, okra, pinto beans, and
>cornbread, accompanied by tomato chutney and chow chow. I had sweet
>potato pie for dessert. The table also held ham, biscuits, potato salad,
>black-eyed peas, corn, plenty of dishes I'm forgetting, and many other
>desserts.
>
>Tara

Nice! It all sounds good to me. Glad you had a good time.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara < wrote:

>>We had our annual soul food lunch and fundraiser at school today. I
>>brought red beans and rice. I ate fried chicken, dressing, green beans,
>>collard greens, mac and cheese, squash casserole, okra, pinto beans, and
>>cornbread, accompanied by tomato chutney and chow chow. I had sweet
>>potato pie for dessert. The table also held ham, biscuits, potato salad,
>>black-eyed peas, corn, plenty of dishes I'm forgetting, and many other
>>desserts.

While you're killing us, you may as well tell us how the okra was prepared.
Baby okra boiled with chopped tomatoes and a little onion? or dipped in corn
meal and fried a rich, dark brown? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 17:35:15 -0600, Polly Esther wrote:

> While you're killing us, you may as well tell us how the okra was
> prepared. Baby okra boiled with chopped tomatoes and a little onion? or
> dipped in corn meal and fried a rich, dark brown? Polly

The okra was cornmeal breaded and fried. I do love stewed okra and
tomatoes.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 17:11:44 -0600, Tara wrote:

> We had our annual soul food lunch and fundraiser at school today. I
> brought red beans and rice. I ate fried chicken, dressing, green beans,
> collard greens, mac and cheese, squash casserole, okra, pinto beans, and
> cornbread, accompanied by tomato chutney and chow chow. I had sweet
> potato pie for dessert. The table also held ham, biscuits, potato salad,
> black-eyed peas, corn, plenty of dishes I'm forgetting, and many other
> desserts.

No watermelon?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara > wrote:
> We had our annual soul food lunch and fundraiser at school today. I
> brought red beans and rice. I ate fried chicken, dressing, green beans,
> collard greens, mac and cheese, squash casserole, okra, pinto beans, and
> cornbread, accompanied by tomato chutney and chow chow. I had sweet
> potato pie for dessert. The table also held ham, biscuits, potato salad,
> black-eyed peas, corn, plenty of dishes I'm forgetting, and many other
> desserts.
>
> Tara

Were the greens cooked to a mushy paste or was there some crunch left in
them? I have friends from the south and they seem to all prefer their
greens cooked far beyond what I would consider overdone.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 09:31:10 -0600, barbie gee wrote:

> I'm curious to know what "chow chow" is.

Chow chow is a relish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chow-chow_%28food%29

http://www.southernplate.com/2011/06...ow-from-joyce-
bacon.html

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Mar 2014 09:31:10 -0600, barbie gee >
wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Mar 2014, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
>
> > Tara > wrote:
> >> We had our annual soul food lunch and fundraiser at school today. I
> >> brought red beans and rice. I ate fried chicken, dressing, green beans,
> >> collard greens, mac and cheese, squash casserole, okra, pinto beans, and
> >> cornbread, accompanied by tomato chutney and chow chow. I had sweet
> >> potato pie for dessert. The table also held ham, biscuits, potato salad,
> >> black-eyed peas, corn, plenty of dishes I'm forgetting, and many other
> >> desserts.
> >>
> >> Tara

> > Were the greens cooked to a mushy paste or was there some crunch left in
> > them? I have friends from the south and they seem to all prefer their
> > greens cooked far beyond what I would consider overdone.
> >

> I'm curious to know what "chow chow" is.

It's some sort of a relish. I've never eaten it, but my guess is it's
similar to the Italian Giardiniera relish, which I've never eaten
either - but do know it's supposed to go on sandwiches.
http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=4593

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Saturday, March 1, 2014 7:31:10 AM UTC-8, barbie gee wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Mar 2014, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:

> I'm curious to know what "chow chow" is.

Chow Chow is a cabbage based relish. It is one of many great Southern relishes. It is used wherever a relish is called for.

I love chow chow or my own hot pepper relish on pinto beans and ham hock over rice or cornbread.

I'll post my hot pepper relish if anyone is interested.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 09:55:13 -0600, Tara >
wrote:

>On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 09:31:10 -0600, barbie gee wrote:
>

>> I'm curious to know what "chow chow" is.

>Chow chow is a relish.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chow-chow_%28food%29
>
>http://www.southernplate.com/2011/06...ow-from-joyce-
>bacon.html
>
>Tara

These look like the recipe I got from my aunt. Definitely southern,
at least NC.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/1/2014 10:31 AM, barbie gee wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Mar 2014, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
>
>> Tara > wrote:
>>> We had our annual soul food lunch and fundraiser at school today. I
>>> brought red beans and rice. I ate fried chicken, dressing, green beans,
>>> collard greens, mac and cheese, squash casserole, okra, pinto beans, and
>>> cornbread, accompanied by tomato chutney and chow chow. I had sweet
>>> potato pie for dessert. The table also held ham, biscuits, potato
>>> salad,
>>> black-eyed peas, corn, plenty of dishes I'm forgetting, and many other
>>> desserts.
>>>
>>> Tara

>> Were the greens cooked to a mushy paste or was there some crunch left in
>> them? I have friends from the south and they seem to all prefer their
>> greens cooked far beyond what I would consider overdone.
>>

> I'm curious to know what "chow chow" is.

A pickled vegetable mixture.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 19:59:21 -0500, Pete C. wrote:

> Happily I'm heading back to Vegas again next week so I'll be able to
> visit M & M a couple more times.

I hope you'll report back on this and other Vegas food.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 08:17:41 -0800, ImStillMags wrote:

> I'll post my hot pepper relish if anyone is interested.

Absolutely!

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 11:27:47 -0500, The Cook >
wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 09:55:13 -0600, Tara >
> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 09:31:10 -0600, barbie gee wrote:
> >

> >> I'm curious to know what "chow chow" is.

> >Chow chow is a relish.
> >
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chow-chow_%28food%29
> >
> >http://www.southernplate.com/2011/06...ow-from-joyce-
> >bacon.html
> >
> >Tara

> These look like the recipe I got from my aunt. Definitely southern,
> at least NC.

How is it used?

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 1, 2014 10:01:52 AM UTC-6, sf wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Mar 2014 09:31:10 -0600, barbie gee >
> wrote:
>

> > I'm curious to know what "chow chow" is.

> It's some sort of a relish. I've never eaten it, but my guess is it's
> similar to the Italian Giardiniera relish, which I've never eaten
> either - but do know it's supposed to go on sandwiches.
> http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=4593

Chow chow, around here, is eaten as an accompaniment to pinto beans. All the grocery stores stock it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Mar 2014 08:17:41 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Saturday, March 1, 2014 7:31:10 AM UTC-8, barbie gee wrote:
> > On Sat, 1 Mar 2014, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:

> > I'm curious to know what "chow chow" is.

> Chow Chow is a cabbage based relish. It is one of many great Southern relishes. It is used wherever a relish is called for.
>
> I love chow chow or my own hot pepper relish on pinto beans and ham hock over rice or cornbread.
>
> I'll post my hot pepper relish if anyone is interested.

The hot pepper relish sounds interesting. I'm wondering if it can be
used in place of hot pepper jelly because I used to have a great
recipe for it, but the entire (hard copy) recipe folder was "lost" and
the one I tried last summer was/is way too sweet for me in spite of
using less sugar.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 1, 2014 3:04:50 AM UTC-6, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:

> Were the greens cooked to a mushy paste or was there some crunch left in
> them? I have friends from the south and they seem to all prefer their
> greens cooked far beyond what I would consider overdone.

What kind/type of greens are you asking about?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 12:33:36 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 11:27:47 -0500, The Cook >
>wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 09:55:13 -0600, Tara >
>> wrote:

>> >Chow chow is a relish.
>> >
>> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chow-chow_%28food%29
>> >
>> >http://www.southernplate.com/2011/06...ow-from-joyce-
>> >bacon.html
>> >
>> >Tara

>> These look like the recipe I got from my aunt. Definitely southern,
>> at least NC.

>How is it used?

Relish. I eat other relishes with beans. A real Southern meal is
pinto beans (with a relish), cornbread and cole slaw. At least in
this house. I speak for myself, not the whole South or the whole
state of NC.

I have never made this particular relish but I do make another recipe
of hers for a relish. I don't seem to have all or most of the
ingredients ripening at the same time for Chow-Chow.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1-Mar-2014, ImStillMags > wrote:

> On Saturday, March 1, 2014 7:31:10 AM UTC-8, barbie gee wrote:
> > On Sat, 1 Mar 2014, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:

> > I'm curious to know what "chow chow" is.

> Chow Chow is a cabbage based relish. It is one of many great Southern
> relishes. It is used wherever a relish is called for.
>
> I love chow chow or my own hot pepper relish on pinto beans and ham hock
> over rice or cornbread.

I sure wish I had the recipe for my granny's Green Tomato Relish. The Amish
store version I buy is sweet and what I really want isn't. My BIL tries to
make it like I remember; though not sweet, it is too "mushy" - perhaps
over-cooked. What I want is not sweet and is firm. But, even not-granny's
green tomato relish is better than no green tomato relish. As mentioned in
the quoted post, I like it with pinto beans and corn bread - I also like it
with eggs. Oh, what the heck, I like it with just about anything. 8-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" wrote:
>ImStillMags wrote:
>>barbie gee wrote:
>> >Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm curious to know what "chow chow" is.

>> Chow Chow is a cabbage based relish. It is one of many great Southern
>> relishes. It is used wherever a relish is called for.
>>
>> I love chow chow or my own hot pepper relish on pinto beans and ham hock
>> over rice or cornbread.

>I sure wish I had the recipe for my granny's Green Tomato Relish.

Maybe like this... there are infinite variations... and all recipes
can be altered to suit:
http://southernfood.about.com/od/pic.../r/r80810b.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1-Mar-2014, Brooklyn1 > wrote:

> "l not -l" wrote:
> >ImStillMags wrote:

> >> Chow Chow is a cabbage based relish. It is one of many great Southern
> >> relishes. It is used wherever a relish is called for.
> >>
> >> I love chow chow or my own hot pepper relish on pinto beans and ham
> >> hock
> >> over rice or cornbread.

> >I sure wish I had the recipe for my granny's Green Tomato Relish.

> Maybe like this... there are infinite variations... and all recipes
> can be altered to suit:

Very true; that is how we got to the too mushy version. Perhaps the next
time around we'll try a little alum to crisp things up a bit
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 1, 2014 3:04:50 AM UTC-6, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
> Tara > wrote:
>
> > We had our annual soul food lunch and fundraiser at school today. I

> > brought red beans and rice. I ate fried chicken, dressing, green beans,

> > collard greens, mac and cheese, squash casserole, okra, pinto beans, and

> > cornbread, accompanied by tomato chutney and chow chow. I had sweet

> > potato pie for dessert. The table also held ham, biscuits, potato salad,

> > black-eyed peas, corn, plenty of dishes I'm forgetting, and many other

> > desserts.

> > Tara

> Were the greens cooked to a mushy paste or was there some crunch left in
>
> them? I have friends from the south and they seem to all prefer their
>
> greens cooked far beyond what I would consider overdone.

I don't do collards or mustard greens, but I love Southern-style green
beans, and well done carrots.

--B

Soul Food Lunch Tara General Cooking 12 14-02-2012 01:16 AM
Soul Food [email protected] General Cooking 6 11-02-2009 04:05 AM
Soul Food Switch General Cooking 80 12-02-2006 09:31 PM
soul food [email protected] General Cooking 4 11-02-2005 11:51 PM