Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 4 fish dinner

Baked Pacific salmon - wife loved it. She'll have the rest of
it on a green salad tomorrow or the day after.
Baked Alaskan pollock - very cheap, inoffensive
Fried flounder - quite good, very thin, enough flavor to stand
up to the high proportion of corn meal.
Fried rockfish - lots of lemon, and chasing it down with cheap
beer saved it from going to waste, wife disliked it enough that
after one bite, she had me finish hers.

My son turned down a salad because the hearts of romaine were
not dark enough (he really only likes dark leaf lettuce), and it
would have been 3 days in a row with salad. Besides, making an
entire meal of candied sweet potatoes made him very happy. I
made them low on butter, high on brown sugar, and he declared
them, "Great." Seems the only fish he's willing to eat is
tilapia.

No more rockfish--ever.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> Fried rockfish - lots of lemon, and chasing it down with cheap
> beer saved it from going to waste, wife disliked it enough that
> after one bite, she had me finish hers.

Rockfish covers many animals. You obviously didn't have striped
bass...a fish to die for. Or you put too much lemon. Fillet, spread
a tsp mayo, add minced onions and a squeeze of lemon then broil. No
fish gets better than that.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan-TGWWW > wrote:
> Baked Pacific salmon - wife loved it. She'll have the rest of
> it on a green salad tomorrow or the day after.
> Baked Alaskan pollock - very cheap, inoffensive
> Fried flounder - quite good, very thin, enough flavor to stand
> up to the high proportion of corn meal.
> Fried rockfish - lots of lemon, and chasing it down with cheap
> beer saved it from going to waste, wife disliked it enough that
> after one bite, she had me finish hers.
>
> My son turned down a salad because the hearts of romaine were
> not dark enough (he really only likes dark leaf lettuce), and it
> would have been 3 days in a row with salad. Besides, making an
> entire meal of candied sweet potatoes made him very happy. I
> made them low on butter, high on brown sugar, and he declared
> them, "Great." Seems the only fish he's willing to eat is
> tilapia.
>
> No more rockfish--ever.
>
> --B

I ate smelt this evening, whole. Heads, guts, everything. I soaked them
in vinegar for a day to soften up the heads and spines, rinsed the well,
dusted them in flour and fried until golden brown. They must be finger
sized in order to be edible whole though. The larger species sometimes
known as euchalons, or candle fish, do not have edible heads.

Might be a stretch for a family though. My wife will absolutely never eat
smelt, they look like fishing bait to her.

I would find a different fish for lil junior though. Tilapia are basically
shit sucking vacuums. Grody. Oddly enough they aren't even that cheap any
more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 28, 2014 5:36:36 PM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
> Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
>

> > Fried rockfish - lots of lemon, and chasing it down with cheap

> > beer saved it from going to waste, wife disliked it enough that

> > after one bite, she had me finish hers.

> Rockfish covers many animals. You obviously didn't have striped
>
> bass...a fish to die for. Or you put too much lemon.

Obviously it wasn't "too much lemon." That was just a dumb thing to write.

> Fillet, spread a tsp mayo,

Just because many, most of the folks here consider the ****ing wino
semen that comes in jars labeled "mayonnaise" to be food, doesn't
mean that I do.

> add minced onions and a squeeze of lemon then broil. No
>
> fish gets better than that.

Do you pay *any* attention at all? I would *never* broil any fish that is suitable for frying. I baked the salmon for my wife, and pollock cannot be
fried. I would also never apply the lemon juice before cooking.

It was the fish itself that I disliked the flavor of, not its preparation.

> G.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 1, 2014 3:11:21 AM UTC-6, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
> Bryan-TGWWW > wrote:
>
> > Baked Pacific salmon - wife loved it. She'll have the rest of

> > it on a green salad tomorrow or the day after.

> > Baked Alaskan pollock - very cheap, inoffensive

> > Fried flounder - quite good, very thin, enough flavor to stand

> > up to the high proportion of corn meal.

> > Fried rockfish - lots of lemon, and chasing it down with cheap

> > beer saved it from going to waste, wife disliked it enough that

> > after one bite, she had me finish hers.

> > My son turned down a salad because the hearts of romaine were

> > not dark enough (he really only likes dark leaf lettuce), and it

> > would have been 3 days in a row with salad. Besides, making an

> > entire meal of candied sweet potatoes made him very happy. I

> > made them low on butter, high on brown sugar, and he declared

> > them, "Great." Seems the only fish he's willing to eat is

> > tilapia.

> > No more rockfish--ever.

> > --B

> I ate smelt this evening, whole. Heads, guts, everything. I soaked them
>
> in vinegar for a day to soften up the heads and spines, rinsed the well,
>
> dusted them in flour and fried until golden brown. They must be finger
>
> sized in order to be edible whole though. The larger species sometimes
>
> known as euchalons, or candle fish, do not have edible heads.

That sounds repulsive.

> Might be a stretch for a family though. My wife will absolutely never eat
>
> smelt, they look like fishing bait to her.

With the heads and shit filled guts intact, they are like fish bait.

> I would find a different fish for lil junior though. Tilapia are basically
>
> shit sucking vacuums. Grody.

Says the person who eats *actual* fish shit.

> Oddly enough they aren't even that cheap any more.

I never pay more than $4/# for frozen tilapia fillets.

--B

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 28, 2014 8:03:02 PM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 18:36:36 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>

> >Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> >> Fried rockfish - lots of lemon, and chasing it down with cheap

> >> beer saved it from going to waste, wife disliked it enough that

> >> after one bite, she had me finish hers.

> >Rockfish covers many animals. You obviously didn't have striped

> >bass...a fish to die for. Or you put too much lemon. Fillet, spread

> >a tsp mayo, add minced onions and a squeeze of lemon then broil. No

> >fish gets better than that.

> >G.

> Probably too much lemon juice. Bryan's kind of in love with it! :-)
>

> John Kuthe...

Johny's (are you?) kind of in love with butt plaugs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> > > Fried rockfish - lots of lemon, and chasing it down with cheap
> > > beer saved it from going to waste, wife disliked it enough that
> > > after one bite, she had me finish hers.

> > Rockfish covers many animals. You obviously didn't have striped
> > bass...a fish to die for. Or you put too much lemon.

> Obviously it wasn't "too much lemon." That was just a dumb thing to write.

There *is* a condition of too much lemon sometimes. I made that
mistake with chicken once....and only once

> > Fillet, spread a tsp mayo,

> Just because many, most of the folks here consider the ****ing wino
> semen that comes in jars labeled "mayonnaise" to be food, doesn't
> mean that I do.

Use mayo, Bryan. It can be your own homemade, it does not need to come
from a jar.

> > add minced onions and a squeeze of lemon then broil. No
> > fish gets better than that.
> >

> Do you pay *any* attention at all? I would *never* broil any fish that is suitable for frying. I baked the salmon for my wife, and pollock cannot be
> fried. I would also never apply the lemon juice before cooking.
>
> It was the fish itself that I disliked the flavor of, not its preparation.

You blew it, Bryan....face it. Your preparation ruined the flavor. I
would NEVER fry a rockfish (assuming your's was striped bass). That's
just so wrong. You also blew it by applying the lemon juice after
cooking. That overpowers the mild fish flavor. Always apply it
*before* cooking.

This is one area of cooking that I know a bit about. I only eat fresh
seafood here in seafood country (corner of the ocean and the
Chesapeake Bay). If I can't catch it or buy it fresh, I'll wait until
I can get it fresh. Many sal****er fish are so good just simply
broiled with minumum treatment and very little added flavorings. Enjoy
the simple, natural flavor.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I do want to ask, Bryan. Why in the world did you cook a 4 fish dinner
anyway? WTH? Those should have been 4 separate and different
dinners.

Next time, just pick one and cook it right. Add some fries and
coleslaw or whatever suits your fancy. Wash it all down with a tall
glass of jarred mayo mixed with warm buttermilk.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Mar 2014 09:11:21 +0000 (UTC), Oregonian Haruspex
> wrote:
snip

>I ate smelt this evening, whole. Heads, guts, everything. I soaked them
>in vinegar for a day to soften up the heads and spines, rinsed the well,
>dusted them in flour and fried until golden brown. They must be finger
>sized in order to be edible whole though. The larger species sometimes
>known as euchalons, or candle fish, do not have edible heads.
>
>Might be a stretch for a family though. My wife will absolutely never eat
>smelt, they look like fishing bait to her.
>
>I would find a different fish for lil junior though. Tilapia are basically
>shit sucking vacuums. Grody. Oddly enough they aren't even that cheap any
>more.

I think you were too lazy to gut them. Soaking them in vinegar would
make the meat mushy as well. Great Lakes smelt are far better. They
are prepared gutted. dredged and fried. Generally they are small
enough to eat the entire fish. Bone them or not as you wish while
eating. You just slip a tine of the fork under the spine bones and
lift. Ocean smelt have a slightly bolder texture to the meat that I
don't care for.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-03-01 11:23 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I think you were too lazy to gut them. Soaking them in vinegar would
> make the meat mushy as well. Great Lakes smelt are far better. They
> are prepared gutted. dredged and fried. Generally they are small
> enough to eat the entire fish. Bone them or not as you wish while
> eating. You just slip a tine of the fork under the spine bones and
> lift. Ocean smelt have a slightly bolder texture to the meat that I
> don't care for.

Great Lakes smelt are tasty. Just slit them open, slip the guts out,
dredge them and fry them. When I was younger there used to be people
hanging out on the bridges of all the creeks and rivers flowing into
lake Ontario. I don't see that anymore.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 1, 2014 10:06:47 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
> Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
>

> > Gary wrote:

> > > Rockfish covers many animals. You obviously didn't have striped

> > > bass...a fish to die for. Or you put too much lemon.

> > Obviously it wasn't "too much lemon." That was just a dumb thing to write.

> There *is* a condition of too much lemon sometimes. I made that
>
> mistake with chicken once....and only once

Gary, I make fish almost every week, the same way; S&P, corn meal, fried
in neutral oil, and I squeeze on fresh lemon juice on the plate.

> > > Fillet, spread a tsp mayo,

> > Just because many, most of the folks here consider the ****ing wino

> > semen that comes in jars labeled "mayonnaise" to be food, doesn't

> > mean that I do.

> Use mayo, Bryan. It can be your own homemade, it does not need to come
>
> from a jar.

I don't cook mayonnaise. I also don't cook lemons.

> > > add minced onions and a squeeze of lemon then broil. No

> > > fish gets better than that.

> > Do you pay *any* attention at all? I would *never* broil any fish that is > > suitable for frying. I baked the salmon for my wife, and pollock cannot be
> > fried. I would also never apply the lemon juice before cooking.

> > It was the fish itself that I disliked the flavor of, not its preparation.

> You blew it, Bryan....face it. Your preparation ruined the flavor. I
>
> would NEVER fry a rockfish (assuming your's was striped bass). That's
>
> just so wrong. You also blew it by applying the lemon juice after
>
> cooking. That overpowers the mild fish flavor. Always apply it
>
> *before* cooking.

Gary, I did exactly what I do with tilapia every week. I did the same
thing I did with the flounder.

> This is one area of cooking that I know a bit about. I only eat fresh
>
> seafood here in seafood country (corner of the ocean and the
>
> Chesapeake Bay). If I can't catch it or buy it fresh, I'll wait until
>
> I can get it fresh.

I am fine with frozen fish.

> Many sal****er fish are so good just simply broiled with minumum treatment

No jizzy mayo?

> and very little added flavorings. Enjoy the simple, natural flavor.

I only like baked/broiled fish. I adore fried. I bake/broil salmon for
my wife, and I do sometimes bake pollock because sometimes it is astoundingly
cheap, and just falls apart if breaded and fried.

> G.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 1, 2014 10:14:11 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
> I do want to ask, Bryan. Why in the world did you cook a 4 fish dinner
>
> anyway? WTH? Those should have been 4 separate and different
>
> dinners.
>

> Next time, just pick one and cook it right.

No, they shouldn't have. I'm not crazy about salmon, and my wife loves it.
If I'd have bought all rockfish, most of it would have ended up in the
garbage. The salmon, flounder and rockfish were all frozen in 4oz. servings
for $1 each. http://www.dierbergs.com/Home/Specia...issouriAd.aspx
The pollock was just because I had some in the freezer.

> Add some fries and

worthless carbs?

> coleslaw

Jizzy cabbage? No thanks. I find coleslaw repulsive.

> or whatever suits your fancy. Wash it all down with a tall
>
> glass of jarred mayo mixed with warm buttermilk.

That last one was just to be nauseating. Julie Bove's diabetic pantyhose.
See? Two can play that game.

> G.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Mar 2014 12:32:05 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

> I find coleslaw repulsive.

Even the one with a vinegar dressing (no mayo)? That was the only way
I liked cabbage for most of my life, then I roasted it and changed my
mind. I do like it cooked.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Great Lakes smelt are tasty. Just slit them open, slip the guts out,
> dredge them and fry them. When I was younger there used to be people
> hanging out on the bridges of all the creeks and rivers flowing into
> lake Ontario. I don't see that anymore.

Have the fish gone away, or have the people
become too lazy? If there were fish to be
had in the creek next to my house, you can
bet I'd be out there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 1, 2014 3:09:00 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Mar 2014 12:32:05 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
>
> > wrote:
>

> > I find coleslaw repulsive.

> Even the one with a vinegar dressing (no mayo)? That was the only way
>
> I liked cabbage for most of my life, then I roasted it and changed my
>
> mind. I do like it cooked.

I don't eat any members of this species,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassica_oleracea

--B

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Mar 2014 14:19:13 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

> On Saturday, March 1, 2014 3:09:00 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 1 Mar 2014 12:32:05 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> >
> > > wrote:
> >

> > > I find coleslaw repulsive.

> > Even the one with a vinegar dressing (no mayo)? That was the only way
> >
> > I liked cabbage for most of my life, then I roasted it and changed my
> >
> > mind. I do like it cooked.
> >

> I don't eat any members of this species,
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassica_oleracea

Your loss.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

But you eat tilapia? That is some nasty crap and would not feed it to my cat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 1, 2014 11:08:36 PM UTC-6, Merry B wrote:
> But you eat tilapia? That is some nasty crap and would not feed it to my cat.

Perhaps you should learn how to think. The best first step would be
to turn off the idiot box that started that stupidity that you're
parroting here.

The only, and I mean *only*, negative thing about tilapia is its high
levels of linoleic acid (Omega-6), but I limit linoleic acid in other
ways. The high oleic sunflower oil I fry them in has a 24:1
monounsaturate to polyunsaturate ratio. Plus, on days that I remember
to, I take fish oil.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> On Saturday, March 1, 2014 11:08:36 PM UTC-6, Merry B wrote:
> > But you eat tilapia? That is some nasty crap and would not feed it to my cat.

> Perhaps you should learn how to think. The best first step would be
> to turn off the idiot box that started that stupidity that you're
> parroting here.

Nothing wrong with talapia. It's a good mild fish that accepts other
flavors.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/2/2014 11:03 AM, Gary wrote:
> Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
>>
>> On Saturday, March 1, 2014 11:08:36 PM UTC-6, Merry B wrote:
>>> But you eat tilapia? That is some nasty crap and would not feed it to my cat.

>> Perhaps you should learn how to think. The best first step would be
>> to turn off the idiot box that started that stupidity that you're
>> parroting here.

> Nothing wrong with talapia. It's a good mild fish that accepts other
> flavors.
>
> G.

As with many other things, once it gets a bad rep...

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
>>>

>> Do you pay *any* attention at all? I would *never* broil any fish that is suitable for frying. I baked the salmon for my wife, and pollock cannot be
>> fried.

(Sorry to piggyback, Gary.)

Pollock can't be fried?! The mind boggles! I guess I'll have to tell
the chef at Gullah Grub restaurant he's wrong.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 2, 2014 10:17:42 AM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:

> >> Do you pay *any* attention at all? I would *never* broil any fish that is suitable for frying. I baked the salmon for my wife, and pollock cannot be

> >> fried.

> (Sorry to piggyback, Gary.)
>

> Pollock can't be fried?! The mind boggles! I guess I'll have to tell
>
> the chef at Gullah Grub restaurant he's wrong.

You'd have to batter it, or it falls apart. When I fry fish, it's merely
dredged in corn meal. Pollock doesn't work for that.

I went to the restaurant's website, and their fried fish dinner was $14.95.
If they use pollock, then their customers are damned fools to pay $15 for
the cheapest fish imaginable. I didn't know that any restaurants other
than fast food or those crappy AYCE buffets (like Hometown) served pollock.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ovation_Brands#Chains

How do you know it's pollock? http://www.gullahgrubs.com/Menu.html

> Jill

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-03-02, jmcquown > wrote:

> As with many other things, once it gets a bad rep...

Talapia, pan fried with a simple wine reduction sauce, is not bad.
The problem with talapia around here is, the price has become
outrageous. It's now $8lb for fresh filets!! Farmed salmon is
cheaper.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/2/2014 11:51 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-03-02, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> As with many other things, once it gets a bad rep...

> Talapia, pan fried with a simple wine reduction sauce, is not bad.
> The problem with talapia around here is, the price has become
> outrageous. It's now $8lb for fresh filets!! Farmed salmon is
> cheaper.
>
> nb

Tilapia used to be the most inexpensive of mild white fish. Same as
always, restaurants started buying them and the price went up.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-03-02 11:05 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>> Nothing wrong with talapia. It's a good mild fish that accepts other
>> flavors.
>>
>> G.
>>

> As with many other things, once it gets a bad rep...

I have tried it a few times. It ranks pretty low on my fish scale. It's
down there with catfish. I know... some people like catfish. I will
eat it if someone serves it to me, but I never buy it and never cook it.

I don't think I am the only one around here who feels that way. When
local stores started having fresh fish counters they were flogging
catfish. You could get it plain or marinated in various things. I never
see it any more... and we eat fish once or twice a week, so we are at
the fish counter frequently.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-03-02 11:57 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> Tilapia used to be the most inexpensive of mild white fish. Same as
> always, restaurants started buying them and the price went up.

Chicken wings, ox tails, short ribs.... now tilapia ;-(

Posted to rec.food.cooking

It tastes like dirt to me and I do not like the texture of it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 2, 2014 11:53:42 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-03-02 11:05 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>

> >> Nothing wrong with talapia. It's a good mild fish that accepts other

> >> flavors.

> >> G.

> > As with many other things, once it gets a bad rep...

> I have tried it a few times. It ranks pretty low on my fish scale.

It's pretty high on mine. Hey, we both have fish scales.

> It's down there with catfish. I know... some people like catfish. I will
> eat it if someone serves it to me, but I never buy it and never cook it.

I'd have to be darned hungry not to decline catfish.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 2, 2014 12:59:20 PM UTC-5, Merry B wrote:
> It tastes like dirt to me and I do not like the texture of it.

It's shit fish. Literally. But Bryan is poor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 2, 2014 11:57:18 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-03-02 11:57 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>

> > Tilapia used to be the most inexpensive of mild white fish. Same as

> > always, restaurants started buying them and the price went up.

> Chicken wings, ox tails, short ribs.... now tilapia ;-(

The first three, you're correct, but tilapia has not gotten pricey.
It just hasn't Folks who are buying it "fresh," and paying $8/#
should realize that they're paying double price just to have the
stuff pre-thawed. The only way to get truly fresh tilapia unless
you live far south where they farm it is to go to the Chinese
grocery where they have them swimming around, and have them net a
few and process them on the spot.

--B

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Agreed,and I feel the same about catfish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 2, 2014 12:22:17 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Sunday, March 2, 2014 12:59:20 PM UTC-5, Merry B wrote:
>
> > It tastes like dirt to me and I do not like the texture of it.

> It's shit fish. Literally.

Substantiate that claim.

> But Bryan is poor.

Poor is an exaggeration.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-03-02 18:54:12 +0000, Bryan-TGWWW said:

> On Sunday, March 2, 2014 12:22:17 PM UTC-6, wrote:
>> On Sunday, March 2, 2014 12:59:20 PM UTC-5, Merry B wrote:
>>
>>> It tastes like dirt to me and I do not like the texture of it.

>> It's shit fish. Literally.

> Substantiate that claim.
>
>> But Bryan is poor.

> Poor is an exaggeration.
>
> --B

http://money.msn.com/now/post--tilap...hits-us-tables

Easy to verify, there are hundreds of stories detailing the uses of
tilapia in aquaculture. They literally eat poop, they're the best at
it. I know a guy in the business, this is hardly controversial.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Mar 2014 18:46:10 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
> wrote:

>On 2014-03-02 18:54:12 +0000, Bryan-TGWWW said:

>>> It's shit fish. Literally.

>> Substantiate that claim.
>>
>>> But Bryan is poor.

>> Poor is an exaggeration.
>>
>> --B

>http://money.msn.com/now/post--tilap...hits-us-tables
>
>Easy to verify, there are hundreds of stories detailing the uses of
>tilapia in aquaculture. They literally eat poop, they're the best at
>it. I know a guy in the business, this is hardly controversial.

And other creatures eat other dead creatures including the guts and
poop.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Fri, 7 Mar 2014 18:46:10 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
> > wrote:

> >> Substantiate that claim.

> >> Poor is an exaggeration.
> >>
> >> --B

http://money.msn.com/now/post--tilap...hits-us-tables

> >Easy to verify, there are hundreds of stories detailing the uses of
> >tilapia in aquaculture. They literally eat poop, they're the best at
> >it. I know a guy in the business, this is hardly controversial.

Not all tilapia spent its life in an aquaculture plant.

> And other creatures eat other dead creatures including the guts and
> poop.
> Janet US

I only eat dead meat (oysters excepted).

How about delicious liver, kidneys, haggis, natural sausage casing...or
where eggs have been. Chickens only have one hole for everything,
nottalotta people know that.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Mar 2014 10:36:28 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> On Fri, 7 Mar 2014 18:46:10 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
>> > wrote:

>> >http://money.msn.com/now/post--tilap...hits-us-tables
>> >
>> >Easy to verify, there are hundreds of stories detailing the uses of
>> >tilapia in aquaculture. They literally eat poop, they're the best at
>> >it. I know a guy in the business, this is hardly controversial.

> Not all tilapia spent its life in an aquaculture plant.
>>
>> And other creatures eat other dead creatures including the guts and
>> poop.
>> Janet US

> I only eat dead meat (oysters excepted).
>
> How about delicious liver, kidneys, haggis, natural sausage casing...or
>where eggs have been. Chickens only have one hole for everything,
>nottalotta people know that.
>
> Janet UK

o.k., you made me laugh . . . indeed, there's only one exit!
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Mar 2014 09:11:21 +0000 (UTC), Oregonian Haruspex
> > wrote:
> snip
>>
>> I ate smelt this evening, whole. Heads, guts, everything. I soaked them
>> in vinegar for a day to soften up the heads and spines, rinsed the well,
>> dusted them in flour and fried until golden brown. They must be finger
>> sized in order to be edible whole though. The larger species sometimes
>> known as euchalons, or candle fish, do not have edible heads.
>>
>> Might be a stretch for a family though. My wife will absolutely never eat
>> smelt, they look like fishing bait to her.
>>
>> I would find a different fish for lil junior though. Tilapia are basically
>> shit sucking vacuums. Grody. Oddly enough they aren't even that cheap any
>> more.

> I think you were too lazy to gut them. Soaking them in vinegar would
> make the meat mushy as well. Great Lakes smelt are far better. They
> are prepared gutted. dredged and fried. Generally they are small
> enough to eat the entire fish. Bone them or not as you wish while
> eating. You just slip a tine of the fork under the spine bones and
> lift. Ocean smelt have a slightly bolder texture to the meat that I
> don't care for.
> Janet US

There are any number of species sold as smelt. The ones I had were
juvenile shad, about the size of one's little finger. When they are that
small boning and gutting is pointless. As they eat only algae and plankton
and have a very active digestive system, they will have totally evacuated
after a little while in a holding tank which is the usual way they are kept
before they are packaged.

You don't worry about the green stuff in oysters, clams, and mussels do
you? I think you'll find it nearly identical to the contents of a smelt's
stomach.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-03-08 10:36:28 +0000, Janet said:

> Not all tilapia spent its life in an aquaculture plant.

All the tilapia you may purchase at a store did. Of course there are
wild tilapia but they are not commercially offered.