Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default You're doing it wrong!

How to combine pasta with sauce... and you know which numbskull this
is posted for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBpbWhfsBxw

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 09:52:51 -0600, barbie gee >
wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Feb 2014, sf wrote:
>

> > How to combine pasta with sauce... and you know which numbskull this
> > is posted for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBpbWhfsBxw

> Maybe we need to start them off with Boiling Water:
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BSbfJMtDt4>

I think Sheldumb already knows how to boil water... but maybe not.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-02-25 15:29:01 +0000, sf said:

> How to combine pasta with sauce... and you know which numbskull this
> is posted for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBpbWhfsBxw

What the ****--I learned something!

I was delighted to find I didn't do any of the obviously "wrong"
things. But I hadn't previously, 1) Add some pasta water to the dish
as a matter of course, though recently I've started doing it for some
other reasons. And 2) The idea of adding butter/oil/cheese thing at
the end. That I've never heard of. I do add garni at the end, but
don't mix it in over heat.

Some of the first few "wrong's" seem inconceivable: Putting the cooked
pasta on a plate and then starting the sauce! What the hell. I start
the sauce well in advance of cooking the pasta. I can't imagine how
anybody could do that. Also putting sauce on pasta laying on a plate
also makes for real cognitive dissonance: I never had to be told these
two.

Please tell me no one locally has been championing these methods...

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-02-25 15:52:51 +0000, barbie gee said:

> On Tue, 25 Feb 2014, sf wrote:
>

>> How to combine pasta with sauce... and you know which numbskull this
>> is posted for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBpbWhfsBxw

> Maybe we need to start them off with Boiling Water:
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BSbfJMtDt4>

First: I HAD that faucet until replaced last week. It totally sucked.

Second: I have heard many times in life that cold water boils faster
than warm water. I don't know where I heard it first, but from the
time I was in my teens and beginning to do some cooking I thought about
it, rejected it and moved on with my life.

35 years later I heard Gordo tell a lackey in Hell's Kitchen to restart
a dish that demanded boiling water, likely pasta. Someone noted the
lackey pulling cold water and Gordo asked why. They proffered the
age-old snipe-hunting mythology: Cold water boils faster and his
incredulity knew only the limits of his rage du jour.

I have no idea how that bullshit got started but was delighted to find
someone else had heard it. But was also saddened that they didn't use
elementary-school physics to override it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2014022514175435448-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2014-02-25 15:29:01 +0000, sf said:
>
>> How to combine pasta with sauce... and you know which numbskull this
>> is posted for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBpbWhfsBxw

> What the ****--I learned something!
>
> I was delighted to find I didn't do any of the obviously "wrong" things.
> But I hadn't previously, 1) Add some pasta water to the dish as a matter
> of course, though recently I've started doing it for some other reasons.
> And 2) The idea of adding butter/oil/cheese thing at the end. That I've
> never heard of. I do add garni at the end, but don't mix it in over heat.
>
> Some of the first few "wrong's" seem inconceivable: Putting the cooked
> pasta on a plate and then starting the sauce! What the hell. I start the
> sauce well in advance of cooking the pasta. I can't imagine how anybody
> could do that. Also putting sauce on pasta laying on a plate also makes
> for real cognitive dissonance: I never had to be told these two.
>
> Please tell me no one locally has been championing these methods...

I ain't a tellin' ya nuffin' <g> BUT did you go to the bit about cooking a
burger???? What was that dark stuff he stuffed it with???

The way this guy showed it, I am tempted to make one but what was that he
stuffed it with???

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2014022514240221334-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2014-02-25 15:52:51 +0000, barbie gee said:
>
>> On Tue, 25 Feb 2014, sf wrote:
>>

>>> How to combine pasta with sauce... and you know which numbskull this
>>> is posted for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBpbWhfsBxw

>> Maybe we need to start them off with Boiling Water:
>>
>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BSbfJMtDt4>

> First: I HAD that faucet until replaced last week. It totally sucked.
>
> Second: I have heard many times in life that cold water boils faster
> than warm water. I don't know where I heard it first, but from the
> time I was in my teens and beginning to do some cooking I thought about
> it, rejected it and moved on with my life.
>
> 35 years later I heard Gordo tell a lackey in Hell's Kitchen to restart
> a dish that demanded boiling water, likely pasta. Someone noted the
> lackey pulling cold water and Gordo asked why. They proffered the
> age-old snipe-hunting mythology: Cold water boils faster and his
> incredulity knew only the limits of his rage du jour.
>
> I have no idea how that bullshit got started but was delighted to find
> someone else had heard it. But was also saddened that they didn't use
> elementary-school physics to override it.

lol

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 14:24:02 -0800, gtr > wrote:

> 35 years later I heard Gordo tell a lackey in Hell's Kitchen to restart
> a dish that demanded boiling water, likely pasta. Someone noted the
> lackey pulling cold water and Gordo asked why. They proffered the
> age-old snipe-hunting mythology: Cold water boils faster and his
> incredulity knew only the limits of his rage du jour

Boiling faster would be some wanna be science nerd making things up.
I've heard something to do with heath concerns... probably coming from
the old lead pipe days. In any case I'm not in such a rush that I
care and start with cold water.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 14:17:54 -0800, gtr > wrote:

> Also putting sauce on pasta laying on a plate
> also makes for real cognitive dissonance: I never had to be told these
> two.
>
> Please tell me no one locally has been championing these methods...

Obviously you have him killed and didn't read the post where he was
quoted berating me for mixing the two together because HE layers them
on the plate... in the early '50's haus frau style that was invented
expressly for food photography purposes. No, it's not Bryan.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 22:36:14 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "gtr" > wrote in message news:2014022514175435448-xxx@yyyzzz...
> > On 2014-02-25 15:29:01 +0000, sf said:
> >
> >> How to combine pasta with sauce... and you know which numbskull this
> >> is posted for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBpbWhfsBxw

> > What the ****--I learned something!
> >
> > I was delighted to find I didn't do any of the obviously "wrong" things.
> > But I hadn't previously, 1) Add some pasta water to the dish as a matter
> > of course, though recently I've started doing it for some other reasons.
> > And 2) The idea of adding butter/oil/cheese thing at the end. That I've
> > never heard of. I do add garni at the end, but don't mix it in over heat.
> >
> > Some of the first few "wrong's" seem inconceivable: Putting the cooked
> > pasta on a plate and then starting the sauce! What the hell. I start the
> > sauce well in advance of cooking the pasta. I can't imagine how anybody
> > could do that. Also putting sauce on pasta laying on a plate also makes
> > for real cognitive dissonance: I never had to be told these two.
> >
> > Please tell me no one locally has been championing these methods...

> I ain't a tellin' ya nuffin' <g> BUT did you go to the bit about cooking a
> burger???? What was that dark stuff he stuffed it with???
>
> The way this guy showed it, I am tempted to make one but what was that he
> stuffed it with???

I don't do stuffed burgers, that's where the med-rare part of the meat
should be.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-02-25 22:36:14 +0000, Ophelia said:

> "gtr" > wrote in message news:2014022514175435448-xxx@yyyzzz...
>> On 2014-02-25 15:29:01 +0000, sf said:
>>
>>> How to combine pasta with sauce... and you know which numbskull this
>>> is posted for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBpbWhfsBxw

>> What the ****--I learned something!
>>
>> I was delighted to find I didn't do any of the obviously "wrong"
>> things. But I hadn't previously, 1) Add some pasta water to the dish as
>> a matter of course, though recently I've started doing it for some
>> other reasons. And 2) The idea of adding butter/oil/cheese thing at the
>> end. That I've never heard of. I do add garni at the end, but don't
>> mix it in over heat.
>>
>> Some of the first few "wrong's" seem inconceivable: Putting the cooked
>> pasta on a plate and then starting the sauce! What the hell. I start
>> the sauce well in advance of cooking the pasta. I can't imagine how
>> anybody could do that. Also putting sauce on pasta laying on a plate
>> also makes for real cognitive dissonance: I never had to be told these
>> two.
>>
>> Please tell me no one locally has been championing these methods...

> I ain't a tellin' ya nuffin' <g> BUT did you go to the bit about
> cooking a burger???? What was that dark stuff he stuffed it with???
>
> The way this guy showed it, I am tempted to make one but what was that
> he stuffed it with???

No I just watched video related to the link above.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-02-26 01:04:48 +0000, sf said:

> On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 14:24:02 -0800, gtr > wrote:
>

>> 35 years later I heard Gordo tell a lackey in Hell's Kitchen to restart
>> a dish that demanded boiling water, likely pasta. Someone noted the
>> lackey pulling cold water and Gordo asked why. They proffered the
>> age-old snipe-hunting mythology: Cold water boils faster and his
>> incredulity knew only the limits of his rage du jour

> Boiling faster would be some wanna be science nerd making things up.
> I've heard something to do with heath concerns... probably coming from
> the old lead pipe days. In any case I'm not in such a rush that I
> care and start with cold water.

Or laying it a hot-water heater too long. That's an interesting
possibility. But nothing about speed-of-boiling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 22:36:14 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> "gtr" > wrote in message

>> > What the ****--I learned something!
>> >
>> > I was delighted to find I didn't do any of the obviously "wrong"
>> > things.
>> > But I hadn't previously, 1) Add some pasta water to the dish as a
>> > matter
>> > of course, though recently I've started doing it for some other
>> > reasons.
>> > And 2) The idea of adding butter/oil/cheese thing at the end. That
>> > I've
>> > never heard of. I do add garni at the end, but don't mix it in over
>> > heat.
>> >
>> > Some of the first few "wrong's" seem inconceivable: Putting the cooked
>> > pasta on a plate and then starting the sauce! What the hell. I start
>> > the
>> > sauce well in advance of cooking the pasta. I can't imagine how anybody
>> > could do that. Also putting sauce on pasta laying on a plate also
>> > makes
>> > for real cognitive dissonance: I never had to be told these two.
>> >
>> > Please tell me no one locally has been championing these methods...

>> I ain't a tellin' ya nuffin' <g> BUT did you go to the bit about cooking
>> burger???? What was that dark stuff he stuffed it with???
>>
>> The way this guy showed it, I am tempted to make one but what was that he
>> stuffed it with???

> I don't do stuffed burgers, that's where the med-rare part of the meat
> should be.

I just wanted to know what he said it was because I didn't understand him.

btw I wanted to ask, do you peel your zucchini? I always do but wanted to
ask.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2014022517224833041-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2014-02-25 22:36:14 +0000, Ophelia said:
>
>> "gtr" > wrote in message

>>> What the ****--I learned something!
>>>
>>> I was delighted to find I didn't do any of the obviously "wrong" things.
>>> But I hadn't previously, 1) Add some pasta water to the dish as a matter
>>> of course, though recently I've started doing it for some other reasons.
>>> And 2) The idea of adding butter/oil/cheese thing at the end. That I've
>>> never heard of. I do add garni at the end, but don't mix it in over
>>> heat.
>>>
>>> Some of the first few "wrong's" seem inconceivable: Putting the cooked
>>> pasta on a plate and then starting the sauce! What the hell. I start
>>> the sauce well in advance of cooking the pasta. I can't imagine how
>>> anybody could do that. Also putting sauce on pasta laying on a plate
>>> also makes for real cognitive dissonance: I never had to be told these
>>> two.
>>>
>>> Please tell me no one locally has been championing these methods...

>> I ain't a tellin' ya nuffin' <g> BUT did you go to the bit about cooking
>> a burger???? What was that dark stuff he stuffed it with???
>>
>> The way this guy showed it, I am tempted to make one but what was that he
>> stuffed it with???

> No I just watched video related to the link above.

Ooops After I watched that one, I went to look at some others, one being
the 'hamburger' vid

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/25/2014 5:17 PM, gtr wrote:
> On 2014-02-25 15:29:01 +0000, sf said:
>
>> How to combine pasta with sauce... and you know which numbskull this
>> is posted for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBpbWhfsBxw

> What the ****--I learned something!

> Some of the first few "wrong's" seem inconceivable: Putting the cooked
> pasta on a plate and then starting the sauce! What the hell.

I've never heard of nor seen anyone do that.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:10:00 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:

> I don't do stuffed burgers, that's where the med-rare part of the meat
>
> should be.

Exactly.

--B

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 07:47:54 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:10:00 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
>>
>> I don't do stuffed burgers, that's where the med-rare part of the meat
>>
>> should be.
>>

>Exactly.
>
>--B

Don't tell me how to eat MY FOOD, and I'll not try and force you into
MY CHURCH!!

Deal?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/14, 10:52 AM, John Kuthe wrote:

> Don't tell me how to eat MY FOOD, and I'll not try and force you into
> MY CHURCH!!
>
> Deal?
>
> John Kuthe...

Deal here.

John, just out of curiosity, how is your last name pronounced? To rhyme
with "couth", or otherwise? Tnx.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 10:56:06 -0500, pltrgyst > wrote:

>On 2/26/14, 10:52 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
>
>> Don't tell me how to eat MY FOOD, and I'll not try and force you into
>> MY CHURCH!!
>>
>> Deal?
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>Deal here.
>
>John, just out of curiosity, how is your last name pronounced? To rhyme
>with "couth", or otherwise? Tnx.
>
>-- Larry

Coo'-thee. That ending 'e' is pronounced long, like in Goede or Witte.
It's a German name, and I can't for the life of me figure out why they
don't call them PorshcEEs!! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 10:32:33 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> btw I wanted to ask, do you peel your zucchini? I always do but wanted to
> ask.

Never! Maybe I would if I bought gigantic zucchini, but I have never
seen them in grocery stores - or even the farmer's market. Sometimes
zucchini was bitter, back when my grandfather had a garden in Michigan
- so if I grew them at home and I my zucchini was bitter, I'd peel
them. But the truth is that I've never tasted bitter zucchini since I
moved to California.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 10:56:06 -0500, pltrgyst > wrote:

> On 2/26/14, 10:52 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
>
> > Don't tell me how to eat MY FOOD, and I'll not try and force you into
> > MY CHURCH!!
> >
> > Deal?
> >
> > John Kuthe...

> Deal here.
>
> John, just out of curiosity, how is your last name pronounced? To rhyme
> with "couth", or otherwise? Tnx.

I'm guessing there's an "eh" at the end. Kuth-eh.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2014 5:32 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 22:36:14 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:
>>

> btw I wanted to ask, do you peel your zucchini? I always do but wanted
> to ask.

I never peel zucchini. The skin is so thin there's no need.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 10:32:33 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> btw I wanted to ask, do you peel your zucchini? I always do but wanted
>> ask.

> Never! Maybe I would if I bought gigantic zucchini, but I have never
> seen them in grocery stores - or even the farmer's market. Sometimes
> zucchini was bitter, back when my grandfather had a garden in Michigan
> - so if I grew them at home and I my zucchini was bitter, I'd peel
> them. But the truth is that I've never tasted bitter zucchini since I
> moved to California.

Excellent Thank you! I bought more today so will try it that way.

I have your comments but do you think it would be useful to start a
'zucchini' thread? Or have we already done it?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 2/26/2014 5:32 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 22:36:14 -0000, "Ophelia"
>>>

>> btw I wanted to ask, do you peel your zucchini? I always do but wanted
>> to ask.
>>

> I never peel zucchini. The skin is so thin there's no need.

Thanks)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 10:03:24 -0600, John Kuthe >
wrote:

> Coo'-thee. That ending 'e' is pronounced long, like in Goede or Witte.
> It's a German name, and I can't for the life of me figure out why they
> don't call them PorshcEEs!! ;-)

Well, I got that one wrong. My last name ends with and e too and is
pronounced the same way. I didn't realize pronouncing e as E at the
end was a German inflection, so I guess it was Americanized by a
German.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-02-26 16:52:33 +0000, jmcquown said:

> On 2/26/2014 5:32 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 22:36:14 -0000, "Ophelia"
>>>

>> btw I wanted to ask, do you peel your zucchini? I always do but wanted
>> to ask.
>>

> I never peel zucchini. The skin is so thin there's no need.

Nor I. I never peel any squash I don't have to. The wife does simmered
kabocha squash, and tried butter-nut via the same method just recently.
And the skin was a bit thick for me, though not for her. I'd peel
butter-nut.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 08:36:27 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 10:32:33 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>
>> btw I wanted to ask, do you peel your zucchini? I always do but wanted to
>> ask.

>Never! Maybe I would if I bought gigantic zucchini, but I have never
>seen them in grocery stores - or even the farmer's market. Sometimes
>zucchini was bitter, back when my grandfather had a garden in Michigan
>- so if I grew them at home and I my zucchini was bitter, I'd peel
>them. But the truth is that I've never tasted bitter zucchini since I
>moved to California.

Zucchini don't do that anymore (bitter) Disclaimer: I don't know how
extreme drought with heat would affect garden veggies. I just know
that I can have seasonal variations as a result of cool, cloudy, hot,
dry. I never peel them even if I am going to shred them for cakes or
cookies.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 10:17:17 -0800, gtr > wrote:

>You have no idea how quickly I can process rfc a couple of times a day.
> I assume many others spend the entire afternoon dicking around with
>it, and find exactly the same amount or relevance but have to comb
>through 5 times the shit to find it.

Ain't the Internet great? It allows us to do the same things we've
been doing for years, but a lot more and a lot faster! And with
pictures and movies/videos!

Beware, for something Bryan said to me years ago when I told him about
my .plan file being "To achieve the absolute power over the
instantaneous transmutation of matter and energy, or go on vacation"
He said if I ever achieve that, please be casreful not to eliminate
too much matter, you may come to miss it!

Same thiong applies to killfiles. They may seem bgreat at first, but
your NetLandscape will seem awfully stark and desolate if you killfile
enough people! ;-)

Have fun and be safe!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-02-26 18:58:51 +0000, John Kuthe said:

> On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 10:17:17 -0800, gtr > wrote:
>>
>> You have no idea how quickly I can process rfc a couple of times a day.
>> I assume many others spend the entire afternoon dicking around with
>> it, and find exactly the same amount or relevance but have to comb
>> through 5 times the shit to find it.

Wow! Somebody read my post!

> Ain't the Internet great? It allows us to do the same things we've
> been doing for years, but a lot more and a lot faster! And with
> pictures and movies/videos!
>
> Beware, for something Bryan said to me years ago when I told him about
> my .plan file being "To achieve the absolute power over the
> instantaneous transmutation of matter and energy, or go on vacation"
> He said if I ever achieve that, please be casreful not to eliminate
> too much matter, you may come to miss it!
>
> Same thiong applies to killfiles. They may seem bgreat at first, but
> your NetLandscape will seem awfully stark and desolate if you killfile
> enough people! ;-)

Sometimes my wife and I get excited by something and really want to
participate; roll up our sleeves and get involved. Then she says one
of our frequent one-liners: I've got too many hobbies already. By
ditching the trombone I accomplish two things: Miss out on the fun of
playing the trombone, and ensure I'll have enough time to be better on
the guitar. By explicitly avoiding entertaining and disposable
Hollywood movies I certainly lesson my entertainment, but at the same
time provide more time for watching valuable movies and time to read
significant novels.

One only has so much time on the planet and so many hours within each day.

Of course what you say is true: Some users are obvious trolls and are
clearly malicious people. You don't seem to be one from that category,
but you do have some significant challenges in impulse control. It
seems you are punishing your combatant by giving him the thing he needs
and wants most: Your passionate attention.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2014 1:40 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

>> On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 10:32:33 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> btw I wanted to ask, do you peel your zucchini? I always do but wanted to
>>> ask.

(snipped)

> Zucchini don't do that anymore (bitter) Disclaimer: I don't know how
> extreme drought with heat would affect garden veggies. I just know
> that I can have seasonal variations as a result of cool, cloudy, hot,
> dry. I never peel them even if I am going to shred them for cakes or
> cookies.
> Janet US

I never peel them even when I'm grating or shredding them to add to
tomato sauce for pasta. The skins are so soft I don't even notice them.
I've never had a bitter zucchini. I don't peel yellow or crookneck
squash, either.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 11:40:42 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> Zucchini don't do that anymore (bitter) Disclaimer: I don't know how
> extreme drought with heat would affect garden veggies. I just know
> that I can have seasonal variations as a result of cool, cloudy, hot,
> dry. I never peel them even if I am going to shred them for cakes or
> cookies.

Thanks, I didn't know if it had to do with where I live or seed
improvement. I have never even considered peeling them when used as
an ingredient in baking either.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 09:55:28 -0800, gtr > wrote:

> On 2014-02-26 16:52:33 +0000, jmcquown said:

> >> btw I wanted to ask, do you peel your zucchini? I always do but wanted
> >> to ask.
> >>

> > I never peel zucchini. The skin is so thin there's no need.

> Nor I. I never peel any squash I don't have to. The wife does simmered
> kabocha squash, and tried butter-nut via the same method just recently.
> And the skin was a bit thick for me, though not for her. I'd peel
> butter-nut.

I was so surprised when I read I didn't have to peel a delicata squash
and by golly it was true, so it went on my list of "buy" when I don't
want to peel. I do peel butternut squash, but it's easy enough to
peel - because it's so smooth. I should try baking an unpeeled piece
the next time I make some and see if peeling is really necessary.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 12:58:51 -0600, John Kuthe >
wrote:

> Same thiong applies to killfiles. They may seem bgreat at first, but
> your NetLandscape will seem awfully stark and desolate if you killfile
> enough people! ;-)

It does happen! I have my filters set to expire automatically after x
number of days with no activity, so things go back to normal a few
days later.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote:

>btw I wanted to ask, do you peel your zucchini?
>I always do but wanted to ask.

I never peel any summer squash, why would you want to... its thin
colorful peel is its only real appetizing feature. I grow all kinds
of summer squash, all different colors, many two tone, I've never
peeled any. I don't peel cucumbers either (not those I grow), for the
same reason I don't peel pickles... the peel is all that makes them
look appetizing... a peeled zuke or cuke looks like what I imagine is
an albino penis! hehe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Boiling faster would be some wanna be science nerd making things up.
> I've heard something to do with heath concerns... probably coming from
> the old lead pipe days. In any case I'm not in such a rush that I
> care and start with cold water.

You should always cook and drink using cold water. Drain your water
heater someday and you'll see why. I watched a plumber do that once
and watched all the brown slime come out.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> sf wrote:
>>
>> Boiling faster would be some wanna be science nerd making things up.
>> I've heard something to do with heath concerns... probably coming from
>> the old lead pipe days. In any case I'm not in such a rush that I
>> care and start with cold water.

> You should always cook and drink using cold water. Drain your water
> heater someday and you'll see why. I watched a plumber do that once
> and watched all the brown slime come out.

but the hot water comes out the top. the crud settles to the bottom. It
doesn't get stirred up, or the plumber would have nothing to drain out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-03-01 00:18:56 +0000, Reggie said:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
>> sf wrote:
>>>
>>> Boiling faster would be some wanna be science nerd making things up.
>>> I've heard something to do with heath concerns... probably coming from
>>> the old lead pipe days. In any case I'm not in such a rush that I
>>> care and start with cold water.

>> You should always cook and drink using cold water. Drain your water
>> heater someday and you'll see why. I watched a plumber do that once
>> and watched all the brown slime come out.
>>

> but the hot water comes out the top. the crud settles to the bottom.
> It doesn't get stirred up, or the plumber would have nothing to drain
> out.

Why did he drain it? He took out all the FLAVOR!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 28, 2014 6:18:56 PM UTC-6, Reggie wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
>
> > sf wrote:

> >> Boiling faster would be some wanna be science nerd making things up.

> >> I've heard something to do with heath concerns... probably coming from

> >> the old lead pipe days. In any case I'm not in such a rush that I

> >> care and start with cold water.

> > You should always cook and drink using cold water. Drain your water

> > heater someday and you'll see why. I watched a plumber do that once

> > and watched all the brown slime come out.

> but the hot water comes out the top. the crud settles to the bottom. It
>
> doesn't get stirred up, or the plumber would have nothing to drain out.

My friend Gary is correct on this, though quite flawed in his political
thinking, and my friend Barbara is exactly the opposite. Thank you,
Reggie, for reminding me that I should turn off my water heater, shut off
the water to it, drain it, then turn the water back on before re-enabling
the flame.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 16:36:30 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

> My friend Gary is correct on this, though quite flawed in his political
> thinking, and my friend Barbara is exactly the opposite. Thank you,
> Reggie, for reminding me that I should turn off my water heater, shut off
> the water to it, drain it, then turn the water back on before re-enabling
> the flame.

I drained my water heater once after many years of not draining it and
there was no sludge or even discoloration what-so-ever. Haven't
bothered to do it since. <shrug> Basically, I don't care.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 14:24:02 -0800, gtr > wrote:
>

>> 35 years later I heard Gordo tell a lackey in Hell's Kitchen to restart
>> a dish that demanded boiling water, likely pasta. Someone noted the
>> lackey pulling cold water and Gordo asked why. They proffered the
>> age-old snipe-hunting mythology: Cold water boils faster and his
>> incredulity knew only the limits of his rage du jour

> Boiling faster would be some wanna be science nerd making things up.
> I've heard something to do with heath concerns... probably coming from
> the old lead pipe days. In any case I'm not in such a rush that I
> care and start with cold water.

Water from the water heater tastes funny. I do not consider it to be
potable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I learned most German ending "e" vowels are pronounced as a dropped "a." " Bitte sehr," for example, is "bit-a zair."

N.