Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2014-02-17) New Survey on the RFC site: Seafood and shellfish

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Vote now! (or not)

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

MCINL = My Choice Is Not Listed

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Does "frozen" include "previously frozen"?

This survey's pointless without knowing that.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/17/2014 5:53 PM, pltrgyst wrote:
> Does "frozen" include "previously frozen"?
>
> This survey's pointless without knowing that.
>
> -- Larry

I wonder what you mean by that? "Frozen twice" or "from frozen". I still
remember a severe case of Montezuma's revenge after eating fried oysters
that had been made from oysters frozen, thawed and frozen again.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/17/14, 6:08 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 2/17/2014 5:53 PM, pltrgyst wrote:
>> Does "frozen" include "previously frozen"?
>>
>> This survey's pointless without knowing that.

> I wonder what you mean by that? "Frozen twice" or "from frozen". I still
> remember a severe case of Montezuma's revenge after eating fried oysters
> that had been made from oysters frozen, thawed and frozen again.

I mean that there's very little seafood that isn't flash-frozen on the
boat as soon as it's caught. Most grocery stores and fishmongers, at
least on the US east coast, identify their fish as either "previously
frozen" or explicitly fresh, (whether or not line-caught).

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/17/2014 6:47 PM, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 2/17/14, 6:08 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>> On 2/17/2014 5:53 PM, pltrgyst wrote:
>>> Does "frozen" include "previously frozen"?
>>>
>>> This survey's pointless without knowing that.

>> I wonder what you mean by that? "Frozen twice" or "from frozen". I still
>> remember a severe case of Montezuma's revenge after eating fried oysters
>> that had been made from oysters frozen, thawed and frozen again.

> I mean that there's very little seafood that isn't flash-frozen on the
> boat as soon as it's caught. Most grocery stores and fishmongers, at
> least on the US east coast, identify their fish as either "previously
> frozen" or explicitly fresh, (whether or not line-caught).
>
> -- Larry

I know when it comes to fish and shellfish, the weekly ads from Publix
expressly state whether or not fish in the "seafood case" (staffed by
people) was previously frozen. I don't really understand why they would
want to thaw them out, but I don't think they're trying to hide anything.

Unless I plan to cook the fish/shellfish that very day, I prefer to buy
frozen. Pacific NW Salmon would be a good example. I know no one is
flying in "fresh" (never frozen) salmon fillets/steaks to Publix in
South Carolina every day. LOL I'll buy frozen fish when the price is
good. Stock the freezer. It's easy enough to thaw. Fresh depends on
the fish/seafood.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pltrgyst wrote:

>Does "frozen" include "previously frozen"?
>This survey's pointless without knowing that.

WTF do you think previously frozen means... it means thawed, you
****ing moron!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hard to answer these. I can't think of 'seafood' which isn't shellfish and why not just say 'fish'? Anyhoo, if I am not too lazy I can drive to where the boats come in, but lacking time, I will also buy fresh or thawed at my market and even frozen shrimp at times.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 17:32:26 -0800, Kalmia wrote:

> Hard to answer these. I can't think of 'seafood' which isn't shellfish
> and why not just say 'fish'?

I know a lot of people tend to call (almost) anything edible that swims in
water 'fish', but to me (and a lot of other people I know) 'seafood' is a
term used for a host of edible ocean dwelling 'creatures'... and I can
think of a couple that are not shellfish a.k.a. crustaceans, i.e. tuna
(Albacore or Bluefin, for example) and Atlantic cod.

Furthermore, in my neck of the woods, various types of shellfish are only
termed 'seafood' if they come from the oceans (which not all of them do).
Ergo, I asked about shellfish in a separate question... FWIW, I haven't
come across any shellfish I don't like - no matter where it came from,
frozen or fresh <g>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 20:04:21 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 17:32:26 -0800 (PST), Kalmia wrote:
>
>> Hard to answer these. I can't think of 'seafood' which isn't shellfish
>> and why not just say 'fish'? Anyhoo, if I am not too lazy I can drive
>> to where the boats come in, but lacking time, I will also buy fresh or
>> thawed at my market and even frozen shrimp at times.

> Cathy sure is taking a beating on these, eh?

You say this as if it's something new... <laugh>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 20:04:21 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 17:32:26 -0800 (PST), Kalmia wrote:
>>
>>> Hard to answer these. I can't think of 'seafood' which isn't shellfish
>>> and why not just say 'fish'? Anyhoo, if I am not too lazy I can drive
>>> to where the boats come in, but lacking time, I will also buy fresh or
>>> thawed at my market and even frozen shrimp at times.

>> Cathy sure is taking a beating on these, eh?

> You say this as if it's something new... <laugh>

You're a brave woman ;-)

Don't let them drive you away though, I really enjoy these surveys

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2014 9:18 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> news

>>> Cathy sure is taking a beating on these, eh?

>> You say this as if it's something new... <laugh>

> You're a brave woman ;-)
>
> Don't let them drive you away though, I really enjoy these surveys

I'm enjoying them, too! Speaking of driving people away... where did
Wayne Boatright go?!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 20:29:15 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> And does it have to be from a sea?

My first question was about frozen 'seafood' - so yeah, I thought even you
could figure that much out.

> Shrimp, mussels, all sorts of fish can come from both fresh water and
> ocean sources.

Yes, shellfish can 'come from both fresh water and ocean sources', hence
the second question - which didn't make a distinction.

> Heh.

<snork> Heh, indeed.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 14:18:18 +0000, Ophelia wrote:

> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> news

>>> Cathy sure is taking a beating on these, eh?

>> You say this as if it's something new... <laugh>

> You're a brave woman ;-)
>
> Don't let them drive you away though, I really enjoy these surveys

Drive me away? Hasn't worked so far has it? <hehe>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 09:22:28 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> Speaking of driving people away... where did Wayne Boatright go?!

Facebook would be my first guess - but I could have sworn I saw a post
from him made to this NG in early January 2014, but maybe I was mistaken
(which is nothing new)...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 2/18/2014 9:18 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> You say this as if it's something new... <laugh>

>> You're a brave woman ;-)
>>
>> Don't let them drive you away though, I really enjoy these surveys
>>

> I'm enjoying them, too! Speaking of driving people away... where did
> Wayne Boatright go?!

I don't know He popped back briefly and then hopped off again

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 20:29:15 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
>

>> And does it have to be from a sea?

> My first question was about frozen 'seafood' - so yeah, I thought even you
> could figure that much out.
>

>> Shrimp, mussels, all sorts of fish can come from both fresh water and
>> ocean sources.

> Yes, shellfish can 'come from both fresh water and ocean sources', hence
> the second question - which didn't make a distinction.
>>
>> Heh.

> <snork> Heh, indeed.

;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 14:18:18 +0000, Ophelia wrote:
>

>> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> You say this as if it's something new... <laugh>

>> You're a brave woman ;-)
>>
>> Don't let them drive you away though, I really enjoy these surveys

> Drive me away? Hasn't worked so far has it? <hehe>

Well you deserted us for ages so I am keeping a wee eye on you, young lady!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 09:22:28 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Speaking of driving people away... where did Wayne Boatright go?!

> Facebook would be my first guess - but I could have sworn I saw a post
> from him made to this NG in early January 2014, but maybe I was mistaken
> (which is nothing new)...

He did post fairly recently. Yes, do believe he said something about
facebook.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

>I can't think of 'seafood' which isn't shellfish and why not just say 'fish'?

Because fresh water fish ain't seafood. duh

How old are you? Most any five year old knows there are thousands of
different fin fish in the sea... you must be very deprived to never
have eaten a tuna sandwich.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 15:30:17 +0000, Ophelia wrote:

> Well you deserted us for ages so I am keeping a wee eye on you, young
> lady!

Thanks Miz O. You are way too kind (as are quite a few other 'regulars'
here). Nice to be back <g>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2014 10:59 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
>>
>> I can't think of 'seafood' which isn't shellfish and why not just say 'fish'?

> Because fresh water fish ain't seafood. duh
>
> How old are you? Most any five year old knows there are thousands of
> different fin fish in the sea... you must be very deprived to never
> have eaten a tuna sandwich.

What a strange statement! I sure didn't know (or care) where the fish
or "seafood" came from when I was five years old.

Tuna sandwiches came from canned tuna. Inquiring little five year olds
didn't ask which ocean.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2014 11:15 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 15:30:17 +0000, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> Well you deserted us for ages so I am keeping a wee eye on you, young
>> lady!

> Thanks Miz O. You are way too kind (as are quite a few other 'regulars'
> here). Nice to be back <g>

I'm very happy to have you back!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18-Feb-2014, ChattyCathy > wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 17:32:26 -0800, Kalmia wrote:
>
> > Hard to answer these. I can't think of 'seafood' which isn't shellfish
> > and why not just say 'fish'?

> I know a lot of people tend to call (almost) anything edible that swims in
> water 'fish', but to me (and a lot of other people I know) 'seafood' is a
> term used for a host of edible ocean dwelling 'creatures'... and I can
> think of a couple that are not shellfish a.k.a. crustaceans, i.e. tuna
> (Albacore or Bluefin, for example) and Atlantic cod.

Squid, octopus, eel; all are seafood but not necessarily considered "fish".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2014 11:36 AM, l not -l wrote:
> On 18-Feb-2014, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 17:32:26 -0800, Kalmia wrote:
>>
>>> Hard to answer these. I can't think of 'seafood' which isn't shellfish
>>> and why not just say 'fish'?

>> I know a lot of people tend to call (almost) anything edible that swims in
>> water 'fish', but to me (and a lot of other people I know) 'seafood' is a
>> term used for a host of edible ocean dwelling 'creatures'... and I can
>> think of a couple that are not shellfish a.k.a. crustaceans, i.e. tuna
>> (Albacore or Bluefin, for example) and Atlantic cod.

> Squid, octopus, eel; all are seafood but not necessarily considered "fish".

I'll admit I agree with the separation but I am not consistent about it.
I often think of crabs and shrimp as "fish". On the other hand, Nori
(Japanese dried seaweed) is certainly a food from the sea but it's not
seafood.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 11:29:44 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> On 2/18/2014 11:15 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 15:30:17 +0000, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>>> Well you deserted us for ages so I am keeping a wee eye on you, young
>>> lady!

>> Thanks Miz O. You are way too kind (as are quite a few other 'regulars'
>> here). Nice to be back <g>
>>

> I'm very happy to have you back!

Thanks Jill, appreciate it.

FWIW, I really enjoy your posts about the food and/or menus at 'The Club'
- so if you are so inclined, please keep 'em coming <g>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2014 11:55 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 11:29:44 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Thanks Miz O. You are way too kind (as are quite a few other 'regulars'
>>> here). Nice to be back <g>
>>>

>> I'm very happy to have you back!

> Thanks Jill, appreciate it.
>
> FWIW, I really enjoy your posts about the food and/or menus at 'The Club'
> - so if you are so inclined, please keep 'em coming <g>

Thanks! Just so happens I got the Lunch Specials a minute ago. <G>

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 2/18/2014 11:55 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:

>>> I'm very happy to have you back!

>> Thanks Jill, appreciate it.
>>
>> FWIW, I really enjoy your posts about the food and/or menus at 'The Club'
>> - so if you are so inclined, please keep 'em coming <g>
>>

> Thanks! Just so happens I got the Lunch Specials a minute ago. <G>

So, what are we waiting for?? Hmmmmm???

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 2/18/2014 11:15 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 15:30:17 +0000, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>>> Well you deserted us for ages so I am keeping a wee eye on you, young
>>> lady!

>> Thanks Miz O. You are way too kind (as are quite a few other 'regulars'
>> here). Nice to be back <g>
>>

>I'm very happy to have you back!

I'm very happy to know Chatty Cathy is in good health... very often
when regulars disappear it's due to serious health issues.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 17:11:03 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Thanks Jill, appreciate it.
>>>
>>> FWIW, I really enjoy your posts about the food and/or menus at 'The Club'
>>> - so if you are so inclined, please keep 'em coming <g>
>>>

>> Thanks! Just so happens I got the Lunch Specials a minute ago. <G>

>So, what are we waiting for?? Hmmmmm???

Kaiser rolls ain't out the oven yet. hehe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 11:29:44 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Thanks Miz O. You are way too kind (as are quite a few other 'regulars'
>>> here). Nice to be back <g>
>>>

>>I'm very happy to have you back!

> I'm very happy to know Chatty Cathy is in good health... very often
> when regulars disappear it's due to serious health issues.

Yes, it is a concern.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 17:11:03 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>>> Thanks! Just so happens I got the Lunch Specials a minute ago. <G>

>>So, what are we waiting for?? Hmmmmm???

> Kaiser rolls ain't out the oven yet. hehe

Ahaaaaaaaaaa that would do it <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 11:41:52 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

>On 2/18/2014 11:36 AM, l not -l wrote:

>>> I know a lot of people tend to call (almost) anything edible that swims in
>>> water 'fish', but to me (and a lot of other people I know) 'seafood' is a
>>> term used for a host of edible ocean dwelling 'creatures'... and I can
>>> think of a couple that are not shellfish a.k.a. crustaceans, i.e. tuna
>>> (Albacore or Bluefin, for example) and Atlantic cod.

>> Squid, octopus, eel; all are seafood but not necessarily considered "fish".
>>

>I'll admit I agree with the separation but I am not consistent about it.
>I often think of crabs and shrimp as "fish".

Those most definitely are fish, shellfish.

>On the other hand, Nori
>(Japanese dried seaweed) is certainly a food from the sea but it's not
>seafood.

Grass grows where deer and antelope play but grass is not meat....
your comprehension is almost as poor as the dwarf.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 11:23:08 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/18/2014 10:59 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Kalmia wrote:
>>>
>>> I can't think of 'seafood' which isn't shellfish and why not just say 'fish'?

>> Because fresh water fish ain't seafood. duh
>>
>> How old are you? Most any five year old knows there are thousands of
>> different fin fish in the sea... you must be very deprived to never
>> have eaten a tuna sandwich.
>>

>What a strange statement! I sure didn't know (or care) where the fish
>or "seafood" came from when I was five years old.

That's why I said "Most".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2014 12:38 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Thanks! Just so happens I got the Lunch Specials a minute ago. <G>

>> So, what are we waiting for?? Hmmmmm???

> Kaiser rolls ain't out the oven yet. hehe

LOL! I have a feeling "soft roll" for the crab cake sandwich means a
commercial hamburger bun. "Soft roll" seems intentionally vague.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 12:37:04 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I'm very happy to know Chatty Cathy is in good health... very often when
> regulars disappear it's due to serious health issues.

Thank you Sheldon. And yes, serious health issues can often be the cause -
but in my case, it was simply because other things going on in my life
took precedence. I am sure you (and many others) can relate...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy