Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default leg quarters

10# bag for $4.99. It had 9 pieces.

First, I pulled the skin back for the thigh, and cut of the drumstick, leaving
all the skin from the thigh attached to the leg. Then, I separated the pelvis
from the thigh, and then trimmed fat from the thighs. I repeated this for all 9.
I 'm baking 6 of the thighs with paprika, garlic and black pepper, and frying
the legs naked. The pelvises went in the pot for soup, and after removing them,
and getting the meat off to add back to the pot, I added the remaining 3 thighs, and carrots, celery and a little onion. When the thighs are cooked, I'll get
their meat off, and add to the soup. I salvaged most of the kidneys, and baked
the in a little ramekin for the cat.

Lots of food for $5.

We're taking my son and his friends to the skatepark, and when we get back I'm
asking homemade noodles for the other two to add to their soup. No more starch
for me for a while.

----

Forgot to send this, and back from the skatepark. No noodles because son is eating leftovers from yesterday. Instead, added chopped jalapenos.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 1, 2014 4:45:40 PM UTC-5, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> 10# bag for $4.99. It had 9 pieces.
>

> First, I pulled the skin back for the thigh, and cut of the drumstick, leaving
>
> all the skin from the thigh attached to the leg. Then, I separated the pelvis
>
> from the thigh, and then trimmed fat from the thighs. I repeated this for all 9.
>
> I 'm baking 6 of the thighs with paprika, garlic and black pepper, and frying
>
> the legs naked. The pelvises went in the pot for soup, and after removing them,
>
> and getting the meat off to add back to the pot, I added the remaining 3 thighs, and carrots, celery and a little onion. When the thighs are cooked, I'll get
>
> their meat off, and add to the soup. I salvaged most of the kidneys, and baked
>
> the in a little ramekin for the cat.
>

> Lots of food for $5.
>

> We're taking my son and his friends to the skatepark, and when we get back I'm
>
> asking homemade noodles for the other two to add to their soup. No more starch
>
> for me for a while.
>

> ----
>

> Forgot to send this, and back from the skatepark. No noodles because son is eating leftovers from yesterday. Instead, added chopped jalapenos.
>

> --B

Quite a feast for $5. I wish I could learn to cook simple stuff like this.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 1, 2014 4:47:04 PM UTC-6, wrote:

> Quite a feast for $5. I wish I could learn to cook simple stuff like this.

Nothing wasted but the cackle.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/1/2014 3:45 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> 10# bag for $4.99. It had 9 pieces.
>
> First, I pulled the skin back for the thigh, and cut of the
> drumstick, leaving all the skin from the thigh attached to the leg.
> Then, I separated the pelvis from the thigh, and then trimmed fat
> from the thighs. I repeated this for all 9. I 'm baking 6 of the
> thighs with paprika, garlic and black pepper, and frying the legs
> naked. The pelvises went in the pot for soup, and after removing
> them, and getting the meat off to add back to the pot, I added the
> remaining 3 thighs, and carrots, celery and a little onion. When the
> thighs are cooked, I'll get their meat off, and add to the soup. I
> salvaged most of the kidneys, and baked the in a little ramekin for
> the cat.
>
> Lots of food for $5.

I used to buy those big bags not so many years ago when they were 29¢ a
pound. I do >90% of my grocery shopping at Aldi now, and they don't
sell 'em. Walmart does, but I don't go there very often and never
catch chicken on sale. Don't even remember what their regular price is,
but it's not enough cheaper than whole chickens... Anyway,

one way I used fix them was to peel the skin back on the thigh, season
it with "hickory smoked salt". (McCormick's) Then put the skin back in
place, and roast them in the oven. You could use different seasonings
and the same technique.

If you separate them, the thighs are easy to bone and skin, then they
can be fried in a lightly-greased nonstick skillet for a quick meat
dish. You can do the whole bag this way, freeze all the boneless
thighs, and do something else with the drumsticks.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan-TGWWW" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, January 1, 2014 4:47:04 PM UTC-6, wrote:
>>
>> Quite a feast for $5. I wish I could learn to cook simple stuff like
>> this.

> Nothing wasted but the cackle.

you wasted the kidneys on the cat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 2, 2014 4:19:50 PM UTC-6, Pico Rico wrote:
> "Bryan-TGWWW" > wrote in message
>
> > Nothing wasted but the cackle.

> you wasted the kidneys on the cat.

You might consider those nasty little **** factories food, but I don't.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan-TGWWW" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, January 2, 2014 4:19:50 PM UTC-6, Pico Rico wrote:
>> "Bryan-TGWWW" > wrote in message
>>
>> > Nothing wasted but the cackle.

>> you wasted the kidneys on the cat.

> You might consider those nasty little **** factories food, but I don't.
>
> --B

I was talking about the kidneys, not the cats.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 3, 2014 8:44:26 AM UTC-6, Pico Rico wrote:
> "Bryan-TGWWW" > wrote in message

> >> you wasted the kidneys on the cat.

> > You might consider those nasty little **** factories food, but I don't.

> > --B

> I was talking about the kidneys, not the cats.

Kidneys ARE "**** factories."

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan-TGWWW" > wrote in message
> On Friday, January 3, 2014 8:44:26 AM UTC-6, Pico Rico wrote:

>> > You might consider those nasty little **** factories food, but I don't.

>> > --B

>> I was talking about the kidneys, not the cats.

> Kidneys ARE "**** factories."

so are cats.

And if you don't consider kidneys food, what do your cats do with them?