Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Merry Christmas

I hope everyone has a great one.
We had my nephew and his family over for dinner and the tourtiere turned
out beautifully. There is a nice fresh blanket of snow on the ground.
Tomorrow should be nice and relaxed. We will have nice breakfast and
then off to my brother's for supper. I don't have to lift a finger.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/24/2013 10:53 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> I hope everyone has a great one.
> We had my nephew and his family over for dinner and the tourtiere turned
> out beautifully. There is a nice fresh blanket of snow on the ground.
> Tomorrow should be nice and relaxed. We will have nice breakfast and
> then off to my brother's for supper. I don't have to lift a finger.

Merry Christmas to you and everyone!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>I hope everyone has a great one.
> We had my nephew and his family over for dinner and the tourtiere turned
> out beautifully. There is a nice fresh blanket of snow on the ground.
> Tomorrow should be nice and relaxed. We will have nice breakfast and then
> off to my brother's for supper. I don't have to lift a finger.

Husband ended up being given today and tomorrow off but he did not learn of
this just before his would be shift. So of course we had planned dinner at
my mom's house, which I brought. I had left him food here but it's a good
thing I did make one more trip to the store on the way to my mom's house for
a couple of extra food items. So now I have to come up with a dinner! I
did buy sour cream and have some potatoes for baking. And there is a ham
steak in there.

My pasta went over quite well. Everyone loved it! And I apparently didn't
read the recipe all the way to the end. It called for 2 cups of olive oil.
You were to fry the garlic in it, then remove the garlic and a little of the
oil to mix with the pasta, then save the rest of the oil for bread dipping.
We don't often eat bread and we never dip it so I used more like 2 T. of oil
for 8 servings of pasta. My mom said it was perfect. Just the right amount
and not oily at all. Only problem is that I probably should have made twice
the amount of that and half the amount of salad. The salad was great but it
was far more in terms of servings than it claimed and celery to me is quite
filling.

And Merry Christmas to you!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>I hope everyone has a great one.
> We had my nephew and his family over for dinner and the tourtiere turned
> out beautifully. There is a nice fresh blanket of snow on the ground.
> Tomorrow should be nice and relaxed. We will have nice breakfast and then
> off to my brother's for supper. I don't have to lift a finger.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, and to everyone here who celebrates it. I
envy you the snow. Enjoy your day.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote:

>My pasta went over quite well. Everyone loved it! And I apparently didn't
>read the recipe all the way to the end. It called for 2 cups of olive oil.
>You were to fry the garlic in it, then remove the garlic and a little of the
>oil to mix with the pasta, then save the rest of the oil for bread dipping.
>We don't often eat bread and we never dip it so I used more like 2 T. of oil
>for 8 servings of pasta.

I never eat bread with pasta.

>My mom said it was perfect. Just the right amount
>and not oily at all. Only problem is that I probably should have made twice
>the amount of that and half the amount of salad.

How much pasta did you make and for how many people? I always cook
twice as much pasta as I think will be needed... left over pasta can
keep in the fridge for a week and can be used in infinite dishes.

>The salad was great but it
>was far more in terms of servings than it claimed and celery to me is quite
>filling.
>
>And Merry Christmas to you!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 24, 2013 9:53:27 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> I hope everyone has a great one.
>
> We had my nephew and his family over for dinner and the tourtiere turned
>
> out beautifully. There is a nice fresh blanket of snow on the ground.
>
> Tomorrow should be nice and relaxed. We will have nice breakfast and
>
> then off to my brother's for supper. I don't have to lift a finger.

Merry Christmas to you and RFC.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>>
>>My pasta went over quite well. Everyone loved it! And I apparently
>>didn't
>>read the recipe all the way to the end. It called for 2 cups of olive
>>oil.
>>You were to fry the garlic in it, then remove the garlic and a little of
>>the
>>oil to mix with the pasta, then save the rest of the oil for bread
>>dipping.
>>We don't often eat bread and we never dip it so I used more like 2 T. of
>>oil
>>for 8 servings of pasta.

> I never eat bread with pasta.
>
>>My mom said it was perfect. Just the right amount
>>and not oily at all. Only problem is that I probably should have made
>>twice
>>the amount of that and half the amount of salad.

> How much pasta did you make and for how many people? I always cook
> twice as much pasta as I think will be needed... left over pasta can
> keep in the fridge for a week and can be used in infinite dishes.

It was a package of Angel Hair that said 8 servings. 3 people ate it and
there is a small amount left but... Husband ate it twice. I'm sure there
would be *none* left had I left more here for him but... My mom told me
that she hadn't shopped. She doesn't keep much food in the house at all.
And doesn't really cook. And we thought my husband was working tonight
(turns out that was wrong) so I offered to bring her dinner. I made some
macaroni and cheese as well just in case she and Angela disliked the pasta
but both love it! Both really love garlic. And husband prefers to eat this
kind of pasta leftover and often cold. So... I will likely make it again
in a couple of weeks but double the amount that I make. This will be a good
thing to leave in the fridge when I can't be here to cook. It is something
he will dish up for himself. So win win all around!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/24/2013 10:53 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> I hope everyone has a great one.
>> We had my nephew and his family over for dinner and the tourtiere turned
>> out beautifully. There is a nice fresh blanket of snow on the ground.
>> Tomorrow should be nice and relaxed. We will have nice breakfast and
>> then off to my brother's for supper. I don't have to lift a finger.

> Merry Christmas to you and everyone!

From me to you and everyone too)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> My pasta went over quite well. Everyone loved it! And I apparently
> didn't read the recipe all the way to the end. It called for 2 cups of
> olive oil. You were to fry the garlic in it, then remove the garlic and a
> little of the oil to mix with the pasta, then save the rest of the oil for
> bread dipping. We don't often eat bread and we never dip it so I used more
> like 2 T. of oil for 8 servings of pasta. My mom said it was perfect.
> Just the right amount and not oily at all. Only problem is that I
> probably should have made twice the amount of that and half the amount of
> salad. The salad was great but it was far more in terms of servings than
> it claimed and celery to me is quite filling.
>
> And Merry Christmas to you!

To you too and I am pleased it all went well
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>I hope everyone has a great one.
>> We had my nephew and his family over for dinner and the tourtiere turned
>> out beautifully. There is a nice fresh blanket of snow on the ground.
>> Tomorrow should be nice and relaxed. We will have nice breakfast and then
>> off to my brother's for supper. I don't have to lift a finger.

> Merry Christmas to you and yours, and to everyone here who celebrates it.
> I envy you the snow. Enjoy your day.

You too Cheri) Have a good day)
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>I hope everyone has a great one.

Santa didn't bring me anything this year, not even coal. How am I
supposed to heat my house this winter? Next year, I'm going to
celebrate Festivus. I got a lot of grievances to air!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
> > I hope everyone has a great one.

> Merry Christmas to you and everyone!
> Jill

And from *ME TOO!* :-D

I'm baking a ham today. Didn't really buy it "for Christmas" but just
because it was on sale so cheap...$0.77/lb for shank portion. It's
"hardwood smoked" but water added. This is no deluxe ham I realize but
I'll either cook it with crushed pineapple and brown sugar
topping.....OR I'll just cook it and make a raisin sauce to add to it
on the plate. I'll do a better ham in the near future and I'd like to
do a honey-bourbon glaze for that one.

It's actually pretty cold here today too (for my area). High of 38F so
having the oven on for a few hours will make it more cozy in here.
Right now at 7:30am it's 29F and a little windy = pretty darn cold to
me!

I hope everyone has a nice day. It's been a pleasure communicating
with you all the past 2+ years.

G. (and his cute little furry pet)
http://i44.tinypic.com/2zdw4qq.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gus" > wrote in message
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>I hope everyone has a great one.

> Santa didn't bring me anything this year, not even coal. How am I
> supposed to heat my house this winter? Next year, I'm going to celebrate
> Festivus. I got a lot of grievances to air!

How about instead, you go into your kitchen and cook up a feast of all your
favourite things)))) Even if you can't eat them all now, you can enjoy
later))

Happy Christmas Gus) Enjoy what you have, the same as the rest of us))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>> > I hope everyone has a great one.

>> Merry Christmas to you and everyone!
>> Jill

> And from *ME TOO!* :-D
>
> I'm baking a ham today. Didn't really buy it "for Christmas" but just
> because it was on sale so cheap...$0.77/lb for shank portion. It's
> "hardwood smoked" but water added. This is no deluxe ham I realize but
> I'll either cook it with crushed pineapple and brown sugar
> topping.....OR I'll just cook it and make a raisin sauce to add to it
> on the plate. I'll do a better ham in the near future and I'd like to
> do a honey-bourbon glaze for that one.
>
> It's actually pretty cold here today too (for my area). High of 38F so
> having the oven on for a few hours will make it more cozy in here.
> Right now at 7:30am it's 29F and a little windy = pretty darn cold to
> me!
>
> I hope everyone has a nice day. It's been a pleasure communicating
> with you all the past 2+ years.
>
> G. (and his cute little furry pet)
> http://i44.tinypic.com/2zdw4qq.jpg

Lovely) Happy Christmas and a stroke for Mia too)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-25, Dave Smith > wrote:
> I hope everyone has a great one.
> We had my nephew and his family over for dinner and the tourtiere turned
> out beautifully. There is a nice fresh blanket of snow on the ground.

Thank you, Dave, and, likewise, a Merry Christmas to all you
rfc'ers.

I'll go visit my mom, then come home and make some deviled ham and egg
nog. I wuz gonna buy myself a good chinois, but I think I'll spring
for Amazon prime, this month, and get the chinois next month. Oh, and
I'll make some mac 'n cheese. Got some gruyer and lox, so jes gonna
snack my way thru Christmas Day, watching Christmas movies and playing
my guitar. Fruit cake is jes around the corner. Keep on cooking!

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> Happy Christmas Gus) Enjoy what you have, the same as the rest of
> us))

I enjoy what I have. Though I think I might enjoy what I don't have,
even more. Eh. ¿Quien sabes?

Merry Holidays!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Desserts done yesterday -- Key lime cheesecake with raspberry sauce, and
rice pudding (should have halved the recipe!)

We got up, found Mannheim Steamroller on Spotify. Now getting ready for
a couple hours of tennis, and then back to the cooking for supper guests.

Merry Christmas, everyone! (That counts, even coming from an atheist,
right?)

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/25/2013 8:54 AM, pltrgyst wrote:
> Desserts done yesterday -- Key lime cheesecake with raspberry sauce, and
> rice pudding (should have halved the recipe!)
>
> We got up, found Mannheim Steamroller on Spotify. Now getting ready for
> a couple hours of tennis, and then back to the cooking for supper guests.
>
> Merry Christmas, everyone! (That counts, even coming from an atheist,
> right?)

Absolutely, this atheist also intends to have a Merry Christmas
with family, just enough kids running around to make it special
and everyone's home.

I wish everyone a great day, doing whatever it is you like to
do on Christmas. Merry Christmas, rfc.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> It was a package of Angel Hair that said 8 servings. 3 people ate it and
> there is a small amount left but...

The "serving size" info written on a package of anything is a joke. I
just looked at my one store bought pasta package. Serving size is 2
ounces. Give me a break. So 8 servings just for a one pound package
of pasta? I don't think so. A one serving should be 1/2 pound or at
least 1/3 pound. That would equal 5-8 ounces per serving, not a measly
2 ounces.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/25/2013 7:49 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>> I hope everyone has a great one.

>> Merry Christmas to you and everyone!
>> Jill

> And from *ME TOO!* :-D
>
> I'm baking a ham today. Didn't really buy it "for Christmas" but just
> because it was on sale so cheap...$0.77/lb for shank portion. It's
> "hardwood smoked" but water added. This is no deluxe ham I realize but
> I'll either cook it with crushed pineapple and brown sugar
> topping.....OR I'll just cook it and make a raisin sauce to add to it
> on the plate. I'll do a better ham in the near future and I'd like to
> do a honey-bourbon glaze for that one.
>
> It's actually pretty cold here today too (for my area). High of 38F so
> having the oven on for a few hours will make it more cozy in here.
> Right now at 7:30am it's 29F and a little windy = pretty darn cold to
> me!
>
> I hope everyone has a nice day. It's been a pleasure communicating
> with you all the past 2+ years.
>
> G. (and his cute little furry pet)
> http://i44.tinypic.com/2zdw4qq.jpg

Awww, Mia is so cute! Stay warm and have a wonderful holiday! The high
temp here today is supposed to be 66°F. Hardly "Christmas weather" but
I'm not complaining! Enjoy that ham! I'm hoping they'll go on sale
after today. I haven't cooked a ham in many a year. Allegedly there
were lots of fresh hams at Food Lion. Maybe for New Years...

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 24, 2013 9:16:39 PM UTC-7, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/24/2013 10:53 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > I hope everyone has a great one.

> > We had my nephew and his family over for dinner and the tourtiere turned

> > out beautifully. There is a nice fresh blanket of snow on the ground.

> > Tomorrow should be nice and relaxed. We will have nice breakfast and

> > then off to my brother's for supper. I don't have to lift a finger.

> Merry Christmas to you and everyone!
>
> Jill

My niece phoned and said that Christmas was cancelled because
the cook was sick...and she did sound terrible.
Just as well as the snow is falling and forecast for winds and
possible freezing rain here in Alberta.
Will dig in the deep freeze for a turkey TV dinner...better
than nothing I guess.

You have a Merry Christmas and enjoy the fellowship with your
brother and his family.

===
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gus" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>
>> Happy Christmas Gus) Enjoy what you have, the same as the rest of
>> us))

> I enjoy what I have. Though I think I might enjoy what I don't have, even
> more. Eh. ¿Quien sabes?
>
> Merry Holidays!

Who knows indeed! Merry Holidays to you too

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> Desserts done yesterday -- Key lime cheesecake with raspberry sauce, and
> rice pudding (should have halved the recipe!)
>
> We got up, found Mannheim Steamroller on Spotify. Now getting ready for a
> couple hours of tennis, and then back to the cooking for supper guests.
>
> Merry Christmas, everyone! (That counts, even coming from an atheist,
> right?)

Sure does)
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> It was a package of Angel Hair that said 8 servings. 3 people ate it and
>> there is a small amount left but...

> The "serving size" info written on a package of anything is a joke. I
> just looked at my one store bought pasta package. Serving size is 2
> ounces. Give me a break. So 8 servings just for a one pound package
> of pasta? I don't think so. A one serving should be 1/2 pound or at
> least 1/3 pound. That would equal 5-8 ounces per serving, not a measly
> 2 ounces.

Hey! If it worked for her and hers ... what the hell?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >>
> >> It was a package of Angel Hair that said 8 servings. 3 people ate it and
> >> there is a small amount left but...

> > The "serving size" info written on a package of anything is a joke. I
> > just looked at my one store bought pasta package. Serving size is 2
> > ounces. Give me a break. So 8 servings just for a one pound package
> > of pasta? I don't think so. A one serving should be 1/2 pound or at
> > least 1/3 pound. That would equal 5-8 ounces per serving, not a measly
> > 2 ounces.

> Hey! If it worked for her and hers ... what the hell?

She said that it didn't work for her. Not enough left for DH.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/25/2013 8:54 AM, pltrgyst wrote:
> Desserts done yesterday -- Key lime cheesecake with raspberry sauce, and
> rice pudding (should have halved the recipe!)
>
> We got up, found Mannheim Steamroller on Spotify. Now getting ready for
> a couple hours of tennis, and then back to the cooking for supper guests.
>
> Merry Christmas, everyone! (That counts, even coming from an atheist,
> right?)
>
> -- Larry

Thank you. Being an atheist doesn't really matter. It's a
commercial holiday. You don't have to believe in Jesus to spend money.
Or to enjoy food.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:

>> > The "serving size" info written on a package of anything is a joke. I
>> > just looked at my one store bought pasta package. Serving size is 2
>> > ounces. Give me a break. So 8 servings just for a one pound package
>> > of pasta? I don't think so. A one serving should be 1/2 pound or at
>> > least 1/3 pound. That would equal 5-8 ounces per serving, not a measly
>> > 2 ounces.

>> Hey! If it worked for her and hers ... what the hell?

> She said that it didn't work for her. Not enough left for DH.

Hmmm I didn't see that. I thought she said there would be leftovers for DH!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/25/2013 11:57 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message

>>> Hey! If it worked for her and hers ... what the hell?

>> She said that it didn't work for her. Not enough left for DH.

> Hmmm I didn't see that. I thought she said there would be leftovers for
> DH!

Initially she said he didn't want to eat the pasta dish because she made
too much noise trying to peel the garlic (by shaking it in two bowls).
She did say she had enough for three with a little left over. If there
is not enough left for one serving I'd throw the remaining pasta away.
It's not worth saving.

Serving sizes written on packages are, IMHO, a poor guideline. The FDA
requires they have some measure so they can list the calories, sodium,
fat, etc. on the ingredients list. There is no way for a manufacturer
to know how much or how little a person will want to cook or eat. Key
word: guideline.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-25 10:22 AM, Gary wrote:

> The "serving size" info written on a package of anything is a joke. I
> just looked at my one store bought pasta package. Serving size is 2
> ounces. Give me a break. So 8 servings just for a one pound package
> of pasta? I don't think so. A one serving should be 1/2 pound or at
> least 1/3 pound. That would equal 5-8 ounces per serving, not a measly
> 2 ounces.

My wife and I get several meals out of a pound of spaghetti, at least
three meals for the two of us. We usually have it as a stir fry with
lots of vegetables in it. If we have is with tomato sauce we usually
have meat balls or sausage with it. We do not eat huge servings of plain
old pasta and red sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-25 11:56 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/25/2013 8:54 AM, pltrgyst wrote:
>> Desserts done yesterday -- Key lime cheesecake with raspberry sauce, and
>> rice pudding (should have halved the recipe!)
>>
>> We got up, found Mannheim Steamroller on Spotify. Now getting ready for
>> a couple hours of tennis, and then back to the cooking for supper guests.
>>
>> Merry Christmas, everyone! (That counts, even coming from an atheist,
>> right?)
>>
>> -- Larry
>>

> Thank you. Being an atheist doesn't really matter. It's a
> commercial holiday. You don't have to believe in Jesus to spend money.
> Or to enjoy food.

I am beginning to re-think my position on holidays. It used to be that
everyone had the day off and friends and families could get together to
celebrate or just to hang out together. Over the past decade or so there
have been more malls and stores open. This means that all those people
working in retail and the service industry have to work while everyone
else has a day off and wants to spend it shopping. Maybe It is time to
open up schools, banks, government offices and everything else 7 days a
week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/25/2013 1:04 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2013-12-25 11:56 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 12/25/2013 8:54 AM, pltrgyst wrote:
>>> Desserts done yesterday -- Key lime cheesecake with raspberry sauce, and
>>> rice pudding (should have halved the recipe!)
>>>
>>> We got up, found Mannheim Steamroller on Spotify. Now getting ready for
>>> a couple hours of tennis, and then back to the cooking for supper
>>> guests.
>>>
>>> Merry Christmas, everyone! (That counts, even coming from an atheist,
>>> right?)
>>>
>>> -- Larry
>>>

>> Thank you. Being an atheist doesn't really matter. It's a
>> commercial holiday. You don't have to believe in Jesus to spend money.
>> Or to enjoy food.
>>

> I am beginning to re-think my position on holidays. It used to be that
> everyone had the day off and friends and families could get together to
> celebrate or just to hang out together. Over the past decade or so there
> have been more malls and stores open. This means that all those people
> working in retail and the service industry have to work while everyone
> else has a day off and wants to spend it shopping. Maybe It is time to
> open up schools, banks, government offices and everything else 7 days a
> week.

I hate the commercialism. So what if a store closes for Christmas?
It's not as if no one saw it coming. Dec. 25th, every year. Glad you
guys got the day off! Hopefully with pay.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-25 1:28 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/25/2013 1:04 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Thank you. Being an atheist doesn't really matter. It's a
>>> commercial holiday. You don't have to believe in Jesus to spend money.
>>> Or to enjoy food.
>>>

>> I am beginning to re-think my position on holidays. It used to be that
>> everyone had the day off and friends and families could get together to
>> celebrate or just to hang out together. Over the past decade or so there
>> have been more malls and stores open. This means that all those people
>> working in retail and the service industry have to work while everyone
>> else has a day off and wants to spend it shopping. Maybe It is time to
>> open up schools, banks, government offices and everything else 7 days a
>> week.
>>

> I hate the commercialism. So what if a store closes for Christmas? It's
> not as if no one saw it coming. Dec. 25th, every year. Glad you guys
> got the day off! Hopefully with pay.

It's not just the commercialism of Christmas, though it has become an
extravaganza of commercialism rather than a celebration of the birth of
Jesus. We have Boxing Day here. It was traditionally the day the working
stiffs got a break and presents. Now it's just a shopping day. It is
the day that the stores drop their prices and dump the excess inventory
that they did not sell before Christmas. Most of the holidays have
moved a long way from their day off to commemorate something or someone
and have instead become shopping days. Wuite seriously, most people
consider it as a day off that they are entitled to, but one on which
other people have to work for their benefit, and it is typically those
in the lowest paid sector that have to work.

We are having dinner at my brother's place tonight. SiL is going to be
exhausted. She manages a store. She had to work every day for the past
couple of weeks. She had to work late on Christmas Eve. She has today
off but will have to go to bed early because she has to be back at work
at 7am to get things ready for the Boxing Day sales, so that everyone
else who has a day off will have something to do and a place to spend
their money.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/25/13 12:39 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2013-12-25 10:22 AM, Gary wrote:
>
>>.... A one serving should be 1/2 pound or at
>> least 1/3 pound. That would equal 5-8 ounces per serving, not a measly
>> 2 ounces.

> My wife and I get several meals out of a pound of spaghetti, at least
> three meals for the two of us. We usually have it as a stir fry with
> lots of vegetables in it. If we have is with tomato sauce we usually
> have meat balls or sausage with it....

Same here -- I make 6 oz. for both of us, with usually enough left over
for one lunch for my wife.

In general, we both eat a lot less now than we did in our forties and
fifties.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-12-25 17:08:28 +0000, jmcquown said:

> On 12/25/2013 11:57 AM, Ophelia wrote:

Interesting I measure out 4 ounces of pasta for the wife and I when
making it as a side-dish. Please don't give me a break.

>>> She said that it didn't work for her. Not enough left for DH.

>> Hmmm I didn't see that. I thought she said there would be leftovers for
>> DH!
>>

> Initially she said he didn't want to eat the pasta dish because she
> made too much noise trying to peel the garlic (by shaking it in two
> bowls). She did say she had enough for three with a little left over.
> If there is not enough left for one serving I'd throw the remaining
> pasta away. It's not worth saving.
>
> Serving sizes written on packages are, IMHO, a poor guideline. The FDA
> requires they have some measure so they can list the calories, sodium,
> fat, etc. on the ingredients list. There is no way for a manufacturer
> to know how much or how little a person will want to cook or eat. Key
> word: guideline.

It's interesting to see the nutritional info on snacks like Trisket or
potato chips where they say "Serving size: 3 chips" or some such.

On the other hand with such things as pasta and such, it certainly
depends on whether it constitutes the entire meal, or whether it's a
side-dish, a component in a salad, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . 71>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Tue 24 Dec 2013 09:16:39p, jmcquown told us...
>
> > On 12/24/2013 10:53 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> >> I hope everyone has a great one.
> >> We had my nephew and his family over for dinner and the tourtiere
> >> turned out beautifully. There is a nice fresh blanket of snow on
> >> the ground. Tomorrow should be nice and relaxed. We will have
> >> nice breakfast and then off to my brother's for supper. I don't
> >> have to lift a finger.

> > Merry Christmas to you and everyone!
> >
> > Jill
> >

> And to you, Jill, and everyone here!

We attended the roast beast/duck/white elephant dinner last night.
Tonight we're celebrating "Jewish Christmas" at a Taiwanese restaurant
in Bellevue.

Merry Christmas!
Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 22:53:27 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I hope everyone has a great one.
>We had my nephew and his family over for dinner and the tourtiere turned
>out beautifully. There is a nice fresh blanket of snow on the ground.
>Tomorrow should be nice and relaxed. We will have nice breakfast and
>then off to my brother's for supper. I don't have to lift a finger.

Merry Christmas to everyone here. Thank you for the many years of
being able to come and check in and be an intelligent foodie- although
not a *real* cook- and when I need a recipe, rfc people are always
generous with their knowledge. Thank you.

with aloha,
Cea
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-25, pure kona > wrote:
> Merry Christmas to everyone here. Thank you for the many years of
> being able to come and check in and be an intelligent foodie- although
> not a *real* cook.......

Nonsense. Everyone here who tries to become a better cook is a "real
cook". Merry Christmas to an old rfc'er living on once was know as
the "sandwich islands". Talk about OBfood.....

nb --recently perverted by tea!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 12:08:28 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Serving sizes written on packages are, IMHO, a poor guideline. The FDA
> requires they have some measure so they can list the calories, sodium,
> fat, etc. on the ingredients list. There is no way for a manufacturer
> to know how much or how little a person will want to cook or eat. Key
> word: guideline.

I'm convinced that they skew serving sizes to make their sodium, fat
and whatever else it is that people read the label for) to make the
food product's nutrition look better than it really is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
>Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> It was a package of Angel Hair that said 8 servings. 3 people ate it and
>> there is a small amount left but...

>The "serving size" info written on a package of anything is a joke. I
>just looked at my one store bought pasta package. Serving size is 2
>ounces. Give me a break. So 8 servings just for a one pound package
>of pasta? I don't think so. A one serving should be 1/2 pound or at
>least 1/3 pound. That would equal 5-8 ounces per serving, not a measly
>2 ounces.

I wouldn't bother boiling water to cook two ounces of pasta... those
freaks who claim 2 ounces is a meal for an adult are typing from a
hospital bed because that's what hospitals serve sick people... a
frickin' package of ramen contains 3 ounces of noodles, I consider
that a light snack or a soup course that accompanies a meal. I never
cook less than the entire one pound box of pasta unless it's 'small'
pasta, like alphabets, to use as an ingredient as part of another
dish, like vegetable soup. In fact whenever I buy pasta I buy three
one pound boxes of each shape because I typically cook 1 1/2 pounds,
this way I can do it twice without ending up with partial boxes of odd
ball pastas. And whenever I cook pasta I make enough for dinner
twice. Left over pasta can be kept in the fridge for several days a
can easily be turned into an infinite variety of dishes, from
fritattas to salads to soups to casseroles... limitless.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gus" wrote:

>Santa didn't bring me anything this year, not even coal. How am I
>supposed to heat my house this winter? Next year, I'm going to
>celebrate Festivus. I got a lot of grievances to air!

I didn't get any gifts either and I only got two cards, one from my
Allstate agent and one from a neighbor. People aren't sending many
snail mail cards anymore... mostly I send and receive ecards. I only
buy small gifts for the grands and this year I bought them toys for
their kittens, the same ones I bought for my cats. I'll get my
Christmas gifts come spring, trees for me to plant. It's difficult to
buy me gifts, I already have everything and whenever I do need
something I buy it, and I'm not willing to wait months for things I
need now.

Merry Christmas to all! (Interactive Christmas card) Omelet General Cooking 4 26-12-2006 12:40 AM
Merry Christmas Omelet General Cooking 0 25-12-2006 03:59 PM
Merry Christmas Pinky Winemaking 2 28-12-2003 10:56 PM
Merry Christmas y'all! frohe Barbecue 2 25-12-2003 05:22 PM