Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tarts,,,,, Are they worth it?

Yesterday I finally got around to some of the Christmas baking that I
have been putting off..... Mincemeat tarts. I have no problem making
pastry, but I find tarts to be such fiddly things to deal with. When you
start cutting out the circles for the crusts you end up with a lot of
leftover dough. It is to much to throw out, but it never turns out as
well as pastry that has only been rolled once. They have to be dropped
into the pans and fitted. Then you have to get the filling in without
slopping it. Next come the tops and, the baking... then getting them out
of the pan without breaking them.

It is a lot of work of a bite size tart. Yet, it just isn't Christmas
without them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BSmith wrote:

>Yesterday I finally got around to some of the Christmas baking that I
>have been putting off..... Mincemeat tarts. I have no problem making
>pastry, but I find tarts to be such fiddly things to deal with. When you
>start cutting out the circles for the crusts you end up with a lot of
>leftover dough. It is to much to throw out, but it never turns out as
>well as pastry that has only been rolled once. They have to be dropped
>into the pans and fitted. Then you have to get the filling in without
>slopping it. Next come the tops and, the baking... then getting them out
>of the pan without breaking them.
>
>It is a lot of work making 11 bite size tarts.

Must be too much work making even 1...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/20/2013 1:29 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> Yesterday I finally got around to some of the Christmas baking that I
> have been putting off..... Mincemeat tarts. I have no problem making
> pastry, but I find tarts to be such fiddly things to deal with. When you
> start cutting out the circles for the crusts you end up with a lot of
> leftover dough. It is to much to throw out, but it never turns out as
> well as pastry that has only been rolled once. They have to be dropped
> into the pans and fitted. Then you have to get the filling in without
> slopping it. Next come the tops and, the baking... then getting them out
> of the pan without breaking them.
>
> It is a lot of work of a bite size tart. Yet, it just isn't Christmas
> without them.

I'm sure you know by now I never fiddle with dough. I can buy tart
shells in the freezer section at the grocery store. Also good for mini
quiches.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Yesterday I finally got around to some of the Christmas baking that I have
> been putting off..... Mincemeat tarts. I have no problem making pastry,
> but I find tarts to be such fiddly things to deal with. When you start
> cutting out the circles for the crusts you end up with a lot of leftover
> dough. It is to much to throw out, but it never turns out as well as
> pastry that has only been rolled once. They have to be dropped into the
> pans and fitted. Then you have to get the filling in without slopping it.
> Next come the tops and, the baking... then getting them out of the pan
> without breaking them.
>
> It is a lot of work of a bite size tart. Yet, it just isn't Christmas
> without them.

I have a couple of these, they work really well for all kinds of things.

http://www.lakeside.com/Housewares%20+%20Dining/Baking%20+%20Cooking/Bakeware/Hors%20D'Oeuvre%20Baking%20Set/prod440421.jmp?fm=upsell&categoryId=cat960914&cata logBookId=visibleLSC

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
t...

>> I'm sure you know by now I never fiddle with dough. I can buy tart
>> shells in the freezer section at the grocery store.

> Do they sell lids? Mincepies have lids.

You should know... you are the tart!

btw will you be having all your 3 sons home for Christmas dinner ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> btw will you be having all your 3 sons home for Christmas dinner ...

Oh wait ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-20 3:37 PM, Janet wrote:
without them.

>> I'm sure you know by now I never fiddle with dough. I can buy tart
>> shells in the freezer section at the grocery store.

> Do they sell lids? Mincepies have lids.

I am going to have to keep my eye out for ready to use tarts with lids.
Normally I prefer to make my own pastry. I cannot see myself buying a
pie shell when they are so easy to cook. I noticed them at the grocery
store and at $5 something for two shells (no tops) that is 3-4 times the
price of making them myself with a few minutes work.
Tart shells with tops ..... worth looking into. I do see commercially
made mincemeat tarts without lids.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-20 3:26 PM, Cheri wrote:
ing them out of the pan without breaking them.

>> It is a lot of work of a bite size tart. Yet, it just isn't Christmas
>> without them.

> I have a couple of these, they work really well for all kinds of things.
>
> http://www.lakeside.com/Housewares%20+%20Dining/Baking%20+%20Cooking/Bakeware/Hors%20D'Oeuvre%20Baking%20Set/prod440421.jmp?fm=upsell&categoryId=cat960914&cata logBookId=visibleLSC

What is that wooden thingie in the front? Is that for pushing the pastry
rounds into the pan? That looks like may tart pan. The shot glass cut
tops fit on top.

I watched program about commercial bakery tarts and pies. They don't
roll and cut. The put in balls of dough and press them to fit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-20 5:58 PM, wrote:

>> I am going to have to keep my eye out for ready to use tarts with lids.
>> Normally I prefer to make my own pastry. I cannot see myself buying a
>> pie shell when they are so easy to cook. I noticed them at the grocery
>> store and at $5 something for two shells (no tops) that is 3-4 times the
>> price of making them myself with a few minutes work.
>> Tart shells with tops ..... worth looking into. I do see commercially
>> made mincemeat tarts without lids.

> I don't buy ready made pastry for the price diff you mention but I
> think I read somewhere you could use two pie crusts to make a covered
> pie. Imagine it would work for tarts too.

You got me thinking..... It is the bottoms that are the work and which
use the most dough. I suppose I could by ready made bottoms and then
make the tops. That would eliminate about 80% of the work.

> I used to dislike the 'mess' of pastry. Now I make it in the food
> processor, put in saran, refrigerate and lay out a couple of pieces of
> saran to roll it. When done, toss the saran. No mess. Perfect.

I don't like to do it in a FP because it is too easy to overwork the
dough. It is essential to have little chunks of shortening in it. I do
sometimes use my hand mixer, but I am very careful not to cut in the
shortening too much before adding the liquid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Using a small ball of pastry, pushed into the form and evenly spread/pushed around with
the fingers works really well for cream cheese pastry....

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/20/2013 4:09 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2013-12-20 3:26 PM, Cheri wrote:
> ing them out of the pan without breaking them.
>>>
>>> It is a lot of work of a bite size tart. Yet, it just isn't Christmas
>>> without them.

>> I have a couple of these, they work really well for all kinds of things.
>>
>> http://www.lakeside.com/Housewares%20+%20Dining/Baking%20+%20Cooking/Bakeware/Hors%20D'Oeuvre%20Baking%20Set/prod440421.jmp?fm=upsell&categoryId=cat960914&cata logBookId=visibleLSC
>>

> What is that wooden thingie in the front? Is that for pushing the pastry
> rounds into the pan?

The description says "Wooden shaper forms the pastry cup effortlessly"

That looks like may tart pan. The shot glass cut
> tops fit on top.
>
> I watched program about commercial bakery tarts and pies. They don't
> roll and cut. The put in balls of dough and press them to fit.

Looks like that's what you do with these mini-tarts, too.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2013-12-20 3:26 PM, Cheri wrote:
> ing them out of the pan without breaking them.
>>>
>>> It is a lot of work of a bite size tart. Yet, it just isn't Christmas
>>> without them.

>> I have a couple of these, they work really well for all kinds of things.
>>
>> http://www.lakeside.com/Housewares%20+%20Dining/Baking%20+%20Cooking/Bakeware/Hors%20D'Oeuvre%20Baking%20Set/prod440421.jmp?fm=upsell&categoryId=cat960914&cata logBookId=visibleLSC
>>

> What is that wooden thingie in the front? Is that for pushing the pastry
> rounds into the pan? That looks like may tart pan. The shot glass cut
> tops fit on top.
>
> I watched program about commercial bakery tarts and pies. They don't roll
> and cut. The put in balls of dough and press them to fit.

Yes, that wooden dowel thingie pushes the dough balls so they shape to the
pan. It goes fast and you don't have to keep rolling the dough. If you
already have the pan, maybe you could improvise something that would work
like the dowel thingie.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Yesterday I finally got around to some of the Christmas baking that I have
> been putting off..... Mincemeat tarts. I have no problem making pastry,
> but I find tarts to be such fiddly things to deal with. When you start
> cutting out the circles for the crusts you end up with a lot of leftover
> dough. It is to much to throw out, but it never turns out as well as
> pastry that has only been rolled once. They have to be dropped into the
> pans and fitted. Then you have to get the filling in without slopping it.
> Next come the tops and, the baking... then getting them out of the pan
> without breaking them.
>
> It is a lot of work of a bite size tart. Yet, it just isn't Christmas
> without them.

Well I didn't grow up eating tarts so would never miss them. I did go
through a phase of buying frozen pecan tassies. Do they even make those any
more? And any tarts I have made have been freeform so no waste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
t...

> Do they sell lids? Mincepies have lids.

Not here they don't. Not the ones my dad bought anyway. And the thing to
do here with premade pie shells if you want a top crust is to turn one
upside down and crimp the edges. This will of course lead to an overly high
top crust but you can then overstuff your pie.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 16:05:07 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>>On 2013-12-20 3:37 PM, Janet wrote:
>>without them.

>>> Do they sell lids? Mincepies have lids.
>>>

>>I am going to have to keep my eye out for ready to use tarts with lids.
>> Normally I prefer to make my own pastry. I cannot see myself buying a
>>pie shell when they are so easy to cook. I noticed them at the grocery
>>store and at $5 something for two shells (no tops) that is 3-4 times the
>>price of making them myself with a few minutes work.
>>Tart shells with tops ..... worth looking into. I do see commercially
>>made mincemeat tarts without lids.

> I don't buy ready made pastry for the price diff you mention but I
> think I read somewhere you could use two pie crusts to make a covered
> pie. Imagine it would work for tarts too.
>
> I used to dislike the 'mess' of pastry. Now I make it in the food
> processor, put in saran, refrigerate and lay out a couple of pieces of
> saran to roll it. When done, toss the saran. No mess. Perfect.

I've not had good luck with pie pastry although granted I haven't tried to
make much of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2013-12-20 3:26 PM, Cheri wrote:
> ing them out of the pan without breaking them.
>>>
>>> It is a lot of work of a bite size tart. Yet, it just isn't Christmas
>>> without them.

>> I have a couple of these, they work really well for all kinds of things.
>>
>> http://www.lakeside.com/Housewares%20+%20Dining/Baking%20+%20Cooking/Bakeware/Hors%20D'Oeuvre%20Baking%20Set/prod440421.jmp?fm=upsell&categoryId=cat960914&cata logBookId=visibleLSC
>>

> What is that wooden thingie in the front? Is that for pushing the pastry
> rounds into the pan? That looks like may tart pan. The shot glass cut
> tops fit on top.
>
> I watched program about commercial bakery tarts and pies. They don't roll
> and cut. The put in balls of dough and press them to fit.

Yes, you push them in to make tassies. Don't ask me what tassies means.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 21:12:54 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 16:05:07 -0500, Dave Smith

>>> I don't buy ready made pastry for the price diff you mention but I
>>> think I read somewhere you could use two pie crusts to make a covered
>>> pie. Imagine it would work for tarts too.
>>>
>>> I used to dislike the 'mess' of pastry. Now I make it in the food
>>> processor, put in saran, refrigerate and lay out a couple of pieces of
>>> saran to roll it. When done, toss the saran. No mess. Perfect.

>>I've not had good luck with pie pastry although granted I haven't tried to
>>make much of it.

> Try making it in the FP you may be surprised. I make mine with lard,
> sometimes with a combo of lard and butter and it get raves. Light,
> feathery and tasty. I also add water from a bottle I keep in the
> fridge door so it is good and cold. Keep all your ingredients really
> cold and I find it is very important to 'rest' the pastry. Usually
> make it the day before. After I have the pie ready etc I usually
> return it to the fridge to rest again before putting in the oven.
>
> There is some scientific reason for 'resting' it. I just know it pays
> off.

All agreed!!! 'ere 'ave you been spyin' on me ... <weg?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/21/2013 1:45 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> On 2013-12-20 3:26 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> ing them out of the pan without breaking them.

>>> I have a couple of these, they work really well for all kinds of things.
>>>
>>> http://www.lakeside.com/Housewares%20+%20Dining/Baking%20+%20Cooking/Bakeware/Hors%20D'Oeuvre%20Baking%20Set/prod440421.jmp?fm=upsell&categoryId=cat960914&cata logBookId=visibleLSC
>>>

>> What is that wooden thingie in the front? Is that for pushing the
>> pastry rounds into the pan? That looks like may tart pan. The shot
>> glass cut tops fit on top.
>>
>> I watched program about commercial bakery tarts and pies. They don't
>> roll and cut. The put in balls of dough and press them to fit.

> Yes, you push them in to make tassies. Don't ask me what tassies means.

Little cups.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-20 10:11 PM, Cheri wrote:
ass cut tops fit on top.

>> I watched program about commercial bakery tarts and pies. They don't
>> roll and cut. The put in balls of dough and press them to fit.

> Yes, that wooden dowel thingie pushes the dough balls so they shape to
> the pan. It goes fast and you don't have to keep rolling the dough. If
> you already have the pan, maybe you could improvise something that would
> work like the dowel thingie.

Ahh... thanks..... shot glass?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2013 1:45 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>> On 2013-12-20 3:26 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>> ing them out of the pan without breaking them.

>>> What is that wooden thingie in the front? Is that for pushing the
>>> pastry rounds into the pan? That looks like may tart pan. The shot
>>> glass cut tops fit on top.
>>>
>>> I watched program about commercial bakery tarts and pies. They don't
>>> roll and cut. The put in balls of dough and press them to fit.

>> Yes, you push them in to make tassies. Don't ask me what tassies means.

> Little cups.

Is that from the French?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/21/2013 9:29 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 12/21/2013 1:45 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>> On 2013-12-20 3:26 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>> ing them out of the pan without breaking them.

>>> What is that wooden thingie in the front? Is that for pushing the
>>> pastry rounds into the pan? That looks like may tart pan. The shot
>>> glass cut tops fit on top.
>>>
>>> I watched program about commercial bakery tarts and pies. They don't
>>> roll and cut. The put in balls of dough and press them to fit.

>> Yes, you push them in to make tassies. Don't ask me what tassies means.

> Little cups.

Tassies come in different sizes. Here's Robert Burns:

Go, fetch to me a pint o' wine,
And fill it in a silver tassie;
That I may drink before I go,
A service to my bonie lassie.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2013 9:29 AM, S Viemeister wrote:

>>> Yes, you push them in to make tassies. Don't ask me what tassies means.

>> Little cups.

> Tassies come in different sizes. Here's Robert Burns:
>
> Go, fetch to me a pint o' wine,
> And fill it in a silver tassie;
> That I may drink before I go,
> A service to my bonie lassie.

*applause*
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 13:59:35 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 21:12:54 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>>>

> wrote in message
m...

>>> Try making it in the FP you may be surprised. I make mine with lard,
>>> sometimes with a combo of lard and butter and it get raves. Light,
>>> feathery and tasty. I also add water from a bottle I keep in the
>>> fridge door so it is good and cold. Keep all your ingredients really
>>> cold and I find it is very important to 'rest' the pastry. Usually
>>> make it the day before. After I have the pie ready etc I usually
>>> return it to the fridge to rest again before putting in the oven.
>>>
>>> There is some scientific reason for 'resting' it. I just know it pays
>>> off.

>>All agreed!!! 'ere 'ave you been spyin' on me ... <weg?

> Yes but OMG it was a cold trip over The Pond last night

LOL pah, the things you will get up to ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 09:34:37 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2013-12-20 10:11 PM, Cheri wrote:
> ass cut tops fit on top.
> >>
> >> I watched program about commercial bakery tarts and pies. They don't
> >> roll and cut. The put in balls of dough and press them to fit.

> > Yes, that wooden dowel thingie pushes the dough balls so they shape to
> > the pan. It goes fast and you don't have to keep rolling the dough. If
> > you already have the pan, maybe you could improvise something that would
> > work like the dowel thingie.
> >

> Ahh... thanks..... shot glass?

Making them yourself gets old fast when you're still on the learning
curve and don't have an implement to speed it along. I have the
individual cups and would take them down to the local baker to make
bite sized shells for me back in the days before they could be found
in the frozen section.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/21/2013 9:39 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> Tassies come in different sizes. Here's Robert Burns:
>
> Go, fetch to me a pint o' wine,
> And fill it in a silver tassie;
> That I may drink before I go,
> A service to my bonie lassie.

Thank you for that! A smile to get my day going.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/21/2013 9:37 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> Is that from the French?

Could be - Scots has a number of French-origin words, like ashet. But
Scots, like English, is related to the Germanic languages, and the
German for cup is Tasse.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-21 10:55 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 12/21/2013 9:37 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> Is that from the French?
>>

> Could be - Scots has a number of French-origin words, like ashet. But
> Scots, like English, is related to the Germanic languages, and the
> German for cup is Tasse.

Coincidentally, the French for cup is also tasse.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 21, 2013 9:39:15 AM UTC-5, James Silverton wrote:
> On 12/21/2013 9:29 AM, S Viemeister wrote:

> >> Yes, you push them in to make tassies. Don't ask me what tassies means.

> > Little cups.

> Tassies come in different sizes. Here's Robert Burns:
>

> Go, fetch to me a pint o' wine,
>
> And fill it in a silver tassie;
>
> That I may drink before I go,

to service my bonnie lassie.

Sorry, could not resist that revision. Jes tryin' to beat Shel to the punch-o.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 09:34:37 -0500, Dave Smith

>> On 2013-12-20 10:11 PM, Cheri wrote:

>> > Yes, that wooden dowel thingie pushes the dough balls so they shape to
>> > the pan. It goes fast and you don't have to keep rolling the dough. If
>> > you already have the pan, maybe you could improvise something that
>> > would
>> > work like the dowel thingie.
>> >

>> Ahh... thanks..... shot glass?

A shot glass might work just fine, but maybe something more rounded? Like
maybe the handle end of a screwdriver that has been well washed?

Cheri

Linzer tarts Nancy Young General Cooking 3 03-07-2007 02:53 AM
pop tarts Henry Recipes 0 22-10-2005 01:19 AM
Tarts TammyM General Cooking 3 28-07-2005 04:20 PM
Lemon Tarts Daryl S. Kabatoff Baking 3 05-03-2004 03:39 AM