Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Can boiled water sub for distilled in a pinch?

I just need a cup or so for a CPAP machine. I used the last of the
distilled water until i get to the store tomorrow. I could ask the
manufacturer but of course they'll say no, nothing but distilled water.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:59:04 PM UTC-8, Cheryl wrote:
> I just need a cup or so for a CPAP machine. I used the last of the
>
> distilled water until i get to the store tomorrow. I could ask the
>
> manufacturer but of course they'll say no, nothing but distilled water.
>

> --
>
> CAPSLOCK�Preventing Login Since 1980.

They probably want distilled so that the minerals in the regular tap water don't clog the machine. I think one use with boiled water won't do enough damage to worry about.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
b.com...
>I just need a cup or so for a CPAP machine. I used the last of the
>distilled water until i get to the store tomorrow. I could ask the
>manufacturer but of course they'll say no, nothing but distilled water.

I would say no. Boiled water will still contain dissolved minerals where
Distilled has none.

Robert

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/11/2013 10:03 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:59:04 PM UTC-8, Cheryl wrote:
>> I just need a cup or so for a CPAP machine. I used the last of the
>>
>> distilled water until i get to the store tomorrow. I could ask the
>>
>> manufacturer but of course they'll say no, nothing but distilled water.
>>

>> --
>>
>> CAPSLOCK�Preventing Login Since 1980.

> They probably want distilled so that the minerals in the regular tap water don't clog the machine. I think one use with boiled water won't do enough damage to worry about.

I agree with that assessment. We buy distilled water for John's c-pap
but a one time use of just boiled tap water should be fine.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/11/2013 10:35 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/11/2013 10:03 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>> On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:59:04 PM UTC-8, Cheryl wrote:
>>> I just need a cup or so for a CPAP machine. I used the last of the
>>>
>>> distilled water until i get to the store tomorrow. I could ask the
>>>
>>> manufacturer but of course they'll say no, nothing but distilled water.
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> CAPSLOCK�Preventing Login Since 1980.

>> They probably want distilled so that the minerals in the regular tap
>> water don't clog the machine. I think one use with boiled water
>> won't do enough damage to worry about.
>>

> I agree with that assessment. We buy distilled water for John's c-pap
> but a one time use of just boiled tap water should be fine.
>
> Jill

I figured the same, that one time isn't going to hurt it. The water is
cooking now, so I can go to bed. |o)

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/11/2013 10:18 PM, Robert wrote:

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
> b.com...
>> I just need a cup or so for a CPAP machine. I used the last of the
>> distilled water until i get to the store tomorrow. I could ask the
>> manufacturer but of course they'll say no, nothing but distilled water.
>>

> I would say no. Boiled water will still contain dissolved minerals where
> Distilled has none.
>

> Robert

One no. Ok, I respect that. I'm going to have to use boiled for just
tonight though.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/11/2013 10:39 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 12/11/2013 10:35 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> They probably want distilled so that the minerals in the regular tap
>>> water don't clog the machine. I think one use with boiled water
>>> won't do enough damage to worry about.
>>>

>> I agree with that assessment. We buy distilled water for John's c-pap
>> but a one time use of just boiled tap water should be fine.
>>
>> Jill

> I figured the same, that one time isn't going to hurt it. The water is
> cooking now, so I can go to bed. |o)

Sleep well!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/11/2013 10:55 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 21:59:04 -0500, Cheryl wrote:
>
>> I just need a cup or so for a CPAP machine. I used the last of the
>> distilled water until i get to the store tomorrow. I could ask the
>> manufacturer but of course they'll say no, nothing but distilled water.

> You'd be better off using tap water than boiled water. Boiling water
> just concentrates the mineral content. The stuff that's evaporating
> is your distilled water.
>
> -sw

Interesting. I noticed on the jug of distilled it said pure steam.
that makes sense.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/11/2013 9:59 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> I just need a cup or so for a CPAP machine. I used the last of the
> distilled water until i get to the store tomorrow. I could ask the
> manufacturer but of course they'll say no, nothing but distilled water.

The difference is minerals in the water. Short term, use it if you
must. This information comes from a respiratory therapist with over 12
years experience with c-pap machines.

No need to boil it unless you have bacterial contamination.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
b.com...
>I just need a cup or so for a CPAP machine. I used the last of the
>distilled water until i get to the store tomorrow. I could ask the
>manufacturer but of course they'll say no, nothing but distilled water.

I was told to only use distilled for mine, even when traveling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/11/2013 8:55 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> You'd be better off using tap water than boiled water.

You'd be better off gargling with Drano.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/11/2013 10:39 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
> b.com...
>> I just need a cup or so for a CPAP machine. I used the last of the
>> distilled water until i get to the store tomorrow. I could ask the
>> manufacturer but of course they'll say no, nothing but distilled water.

> I was told to only use distilled for mine, even when traveling.

Distilled, or deionized, or reverse osmosis. They are effectively the
same thing.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:55:12 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:

> You'd be better off using tap water than boiled water. Boiling water
> just concentrates the mineral content. The stuff that's evaporating
> is your distilled water.
>
> -sw

If all you do is bring the water to a boil for a
couple of minutes it reduces the dissolved
minerals. At elevated temperatures a proportion
will precipitate out, generally sticking to the
sides of the pot.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> I just need a cup or so for a CPAP machine. I used the last of the
> distilled water until i get to the store tomorrow. I could ask the
> manufacturer but of course they'll say no, nothing but distilled water.

No. Boiling will actually concentrate the mineral contaminants since you
are removing some of the water as steam. Distilling you are condensing
and collecting the steam only, leaving the contaminants behind.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Helpful person wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:55:12 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > You'd be better off using tap water than boiled water. Boiling water
> > just concentrates the mineral content. The stuff that's evaporating
> > is your distilled water.
> >
> > -sw

> If all you do is bring the water to a boil for a
> couple of minutes it reduces the dissolved
> minerals. At elevated temperatures a proportion
> will precipitate out, generally sticking to the
> sides of the pot.

I suspect a quick boil would be to get rid of the chlorine in the city
water...you don't want to breathe that in your CPAP.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/12/2013 9:20 AM, Gary wrote:
> Helpful person wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:55:12 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
>>>
>>> You'd be better off using tap water than boiled water. Boiling water
>>> just concentrates the mineral content. The stuff that's evaporating
>>> is your distilled water.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> If all you do is bring the water to a boil for a
>> couple of minutes it reduces the dissolved
>> minerals. At elevated temperatures a proportion
>> will precipitate out, generally sticking to the
>> sides of the pot.

> I suspect a quick boil would be to get rid of the chlorine in the city
> water...you don't want to breathe that in your CPAP.
>
> G.

Boiling may kill any bacteria and remove dissolved *chlorine* but not
ions like chloride, carbonate and sodium. You only have to boil a pot
dry to see what stays after boiling.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/12/2013 7:12 AM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:55:12 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> You'd be better off using tap water than boiled water. Boiling
>> water just concentrates the mineral content. The stuff that's
>> evaporating is your distilled water.
>>
>> -sw

> If all you do is bring the water to a boil for a couple of minutes it
> reduces the dissolved minerals. At elevated temperatures a
> proportion will precipitate out, generally sticking to the sides of
> the pot.

Yep. (I can't believe how many people here got that wrong)

Boil it briefly, let it cool enough to handle, and filter it will remove
a lot of the minerals. It does a couple of things; calcium salts are
*less* soluble in hot water, and boiling will convert some of the
bicarbonate ions into carbonate. So calcium carbonate precipitates out.

I don't think it's worth the trouble for one night in a CPAP machine.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" wrote in message
b.com...

I just need a cup or so for a CPAP machine. I used the last of the
distilled water until i get to the store tomorrow. I could ask the
manufacturer but of course they'll say no, nothing but distilled water.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

~~~~~~
I don't think you can substitute boiled water. Distilled water does not
have minerals that leave a residue. However, I don't see how a single day
could be harmful--but I'm also not an expert.

Do the instructions say anything about how to clean your machine? I
remember instructions that came with steam irons (years ago) that
recommended distilled water, and they also said to use white vinegar to
clean it. Of course, the steam iron could be turned on to heat the vinegar.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

You guys are all cooks. No one mentioned 'cooking' up a batch of distilled?
I can evap a cup in ten minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/12/2013 10:37 AM, MaryL wrote:
> I don't think you can substitute boiled water. Distilled water does not
> have minerals that leave a residue. However, I don't see how a single
> day could be harmful--but I'm also not an expert.
>
> Do the instructions say anything about how to clean your machine? I
> remember instructions that came with steam irons (years ago) that
> recommended distilled water, and they also said to use white vinegar to
> clean it. Of course, the steam iron could be turned on to heat the
> vinegar.
>
> MaryL

CPAPs don't heat up. It's cool water vapor to keep the sinuses open.
Cuts down on sleep apnea and snoring.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 12/12/2013 10:37 AM, MaryL wrote:
> I don't think you can substitute boiled water. Distilled water does not
> have minerals that leave a residue. However, I don't see how a single
> day could be harmful--but I'm also not an expert.
>
> Do the instructions say anything about how to clean your machine? I
> remember instructions that came with steam irons (years ago) that
> recommended distilled water, and they also said to use white vinegar to
> clean it. Of course, the steam iron could be turned on to heat the
> vinegar.
>
> MaryL

CPAPs don't heat up. It's cool water vapor to keep the sinuses open.
Cuts down on sleep apnea and snoring.

Jill

~~~~~~
Yes, I know that. That's the reason I mentioned that steam irons will heat
the vinegar. So, I don't know if it would help with a CPAP (which don't
heat). Sorry I did not make myself clear.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 19:03:08 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:59:04 PM UTC-8, Cheryl wrote:
>> I just need a cup or so for a CPAP machine. I used the last of the
>>
>> distilled water until i get to the store tomorrow. I could ask the
>>
>> manufacturer but of course they'll say no, nothing but distilled water.
>>

>> --
>>
>> CAPSLOCK�Preventing Login Since 1980.

>They probably want distilled so that the minerals in the regular tap water don't clog the machine. I think one use with boiled water won't do enough damage to worry about.

Why bother to boil tap water, boiling will concentrate the minerals.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 22:35:22 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 12/11/2013 10:03 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>> On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:59:04 PM UTC-8, Cheryl wrote:
>>> I just need a cup or so for a CPAP machine. I used the last of the
>>>
>>> distilled water until i get to the store tomorrow. I could ask the
>>>
>>> manufacturer but of course they'll say no, nothing but distilled water.
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> CAPSLOCK�Preventing Login Since 1980.

>> They probably want distilled so that the minerals in the regular tap water don't clog the machine. I think one use with boiled water won't do enough damage to worry about.
>>

>I agree with that assessment. We buy distilled water for John's c-pap
>but a one time use of just boiled tap water should be fine.

Distilled water is not sterile water. Boiling will concentrate the
minerals. If you ran out of distilled water it's best NOT to boil tap
water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 05:12:03 -0800 (PST), Helpful person
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:55:12 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> You'd be better off using tap water than boiled water. Boiling water
>> just concentrates the mineral content. The stuff that's evaporating
>> is your distilled water.
>>
>> -sw

>If all you do is bring the water to a boil for a
>couple of minutes it reduces the dissolved
>minerals. At elevated temperatures a proportion
>will precipitate out, generally sticking to the
>sides of the pot.

WRONG!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 20:49:55 -0800, The Other Guy
> wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 21:59:04 -0500, Cheryl >
>wrote:
>
>>I just need a cup or so for a CPAP machine. I used the last of the
>>distilled water until i get to the store tomorrow. I could ask the
>>manufacturer but of course they'll say no, nothing but distilled water.

>Distilled water is 'clean', free of minerals and other junk.
>
>Boiled water is exactly the opposite; some water evaporates,
>and the contaminates are concentrated.
>
>NOT a good idea for a CPAP machine!

'Zactly.
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl[_3_] View Post
I just need a cup or so for a CPAP machine. I used the last of the
distilled water until i get to the store tomorrow. I could ask the
manufacturer but of course they'll say no, nothing but distilled water.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Would not risk it on something pertaining to human health and well being. Go to the store and buy more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/12/2013 7:16 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> If Sheldon says I'm right then I must be wrong.

You're a dwarf and an attention whore.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 22:35:22 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

> >> They probably want distilled so that the minerals in the regular tap water don't clog the machine. I think one use with boiled water won't do enough damage to worry about.
> >>

> >I agree with that assessment. We buy distilled water for John's c-pap
> >but a one time use of just boiled tap water should be fine.

> Distilled water is not sterile water. Boiling will concentrate the
> minerals. If you ran out of distilled water it's best NOT to boil tap
> water.

I think boiling just removes the chlorine in city water. You can also
do that by leaving city water out overnight uncovered. A quick boil
should not concentrate minerals. Someone with a CPAP machine should
always keep backups of distilled water.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 12, 2013 10:06:10 AM UTC-5, zxcvbob wrote:
> On 12/12/2013 7:12 AM, Helpful person wrote:
> > On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:55:12 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:

> > If all you do is bring the water to a boil for a couple of minutes it
> > reduces the dissolved minerals. At elevated temperatures a
> > proportion will precipitate out, generally sticking to the sides of
> > the pot.

> Yep. (I can't believe how many people here got that wrong)
>
> Boil it briefly, let it cool enough to handle, and filter it will remove
> a lot of the minerals. It does a couple of things; calcium salts are
> *less* soluble in hot water, and boiling will convert some of the
> bicarbonate ions into carbonate. So calcium carbonate precipitates out.
>
> Bob

From reading this news group I'm not surprised at the lack of
knowledge. However, what never fails to surprise me is the
greater the ignorance the more vociferous the incorrect answer.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Gary > wrote:

>I think boiling just removes the chlorine in city water. You can also
>do that by leaving city water out overnight uncovered. A quick boil
>should not concentrate minerals. Someone with a CPAP machine should
>always keep backups of distilled water.

I don't know about the OP, but we do. However, once in a great
while, he uses up all the distilled without putting it on the
shopping list and has to make do for a night with ordinary bottled
water. It's an imperfect world.

It's a rare occurrence, as the OP's question suggests. If it happened
all the time, she'd already know what to do about it.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2013 2:16 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Pompous much?
>
> -sw

Et tu?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> I just need a cup or so for a CPAP machine. I used the last of the
> distilled water until i get to the store tomorrow. I could ask the
> manufacturer but of course they'll say no, nothing but distilled water.

No, you can't.
Distilled water is pure water; the gaseous H2O caught in distillation.
Boiled water is hot water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2013 1:59 PM, Michael Kuettner wrote:
> Cheryl wrote:
>> I just need a cup or so for a CPAP machine. I used the last of the
>> distilled water until i get to the store tomorrow. I could ask the
>> manufacturer but of course they'll say no, nothing but distilled water.
>>

> No, you can't.
> Distilled water is pure water; the gaseous H2O caught in distillation.
> Boiled water is hot water.

Right, but for a cup, she can use top water. No need to boil it. My
answer comes from a respiratory therapist that suppplies and sets up
patients with the machines.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/16/2013 1:59 PM, Michael Kuettner wrote:
>> Cheryl wrote:
>>> I just need a cup or so for a CPAP machine. I used the last of the
>>> distilled water until i get to the store tomorrow. I could ask the
>>> manufacturer but of course they'll say no, nothing but distilled water.
>>>

>> No, you can't.
>> Distilled water is pure water; the gaseous H2O caught in distillation.
>> Boiled water is hot water.
>>

> Right, but for a cup, she can use top water. No need to boil it. My
> answer comes from a respiratory therapist that suppplies and sets up
> patients with the machines.

Then I would change the therapist.
Tap water has things like chalk, iron, etc.
Those clog the machine.
Boiling won't help, yes. Just use distilled water.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/11/2013 11:39 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
> b.com...
>> I just need a cup or so for a CPAP machine. I used the last of the
>> distilled water until i get to the store tomorrow. I could ask the
>> manufacturer but of course they'll say no, nothing but distilled water.

> I was told to only use distilled for mine, even when traveling.

A little late to respond, but I only just started using this machine so
I didn't realize how much I'd go through. I keep plenty on hand now.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/12/2013 10:37 AM, MaryL wrote:

> Do the instructions say anything about how to clean your machine? I
> remember instructions that came with steam irons (years ago) that
> recommended distilled water, and they also said to use white vinegar to
> clean it. Of course, the steam iron could be turned on to heat the
> vinegar.

I have instructions but I haven't tried to clean the unit itself yet,
only the mask parts. I'll look at the manual tonight. I only used the
boiled water that first night when I asked, then I refilled my supply of
distilled water.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/12/2013 11:41 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/12/2013 10:37 AM, MaryL wrote:
>> I don't think you can substitute boiled water. Distilled water does not
>> have minerals that leave a residue. However, I don't see how a single
>> day could be harmful--but I'm also not an expert.
>>
>> Do the instructions say anything about how to clean your machine? I
>> remember instructions that came with steam irons (years ago) that
>> recommended distilled water, and they also said to use white vinegar to
>> clean it. Of course, the steam iron could be turned on to heat the
>> vinegar.
>>
>> MaryL

> CPAPs don't heat up. It's cool water vapor to keep the sinuses open.
> Cuts down on sleep apnea and snoring.
>
> Jill

This one actually has a heating unit to supply warm moist air.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

distilled water? [email protected] Tea 3 05-05-2008 07:52 PM
Distilled Water Test User69 Winemaking 1 28-10-2005 05:30 PM
Distilled water, pH and TA William Frazier Winemaking 6 28-09-2004 12:08 AM
Distilled water? ---MIKE--- Coffee 2 25-02-2004 03:20 PM
Distilled Water Denis Marier Winemaking 3 03-10-2003 03:48 AM