Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Whole foods cashiers

We stopped there the other day. My mom bought one thing. I bought just a
few things. We went through different lines. When I met up with my mom,
she was shaking her head. She said that her purchase came to
somethingorother and 7 cents. She handed the cashier a $20 bill. Then said
that she had the 7 cents but... The cashier had already put in the $20 bill
into the register. She could not figure out how much change to give back to
my mom. My mom told her but she acted like she didn't believe her and then
fished around for a calculator. Gah!

My problem was different. Cashier owed me 85 cents. But the combination of
coins that added up to 85 cents was baffling to her. She kept pick up coins
then shaking her head and putting them back. When she finally did hand me
something, I double checked it because I wasn't sure it would be right. It
was. But of course she did the two quarters, three dimes and a nickel. And
her drawer was full of coins. Wasn't like she was out of quarters. *sigh*

I see this sort of stuff all the time but at a store as pricey as WF is,
you'd think they'd be well trained.

I had to learn to make change in the 5th grade. Angela had to learn in the
3rd grade. Then when I was in high school, I took Deca. We were tested on
counting it back to the customer. No computerized registers in those days
and the ones that we had didn't always give you the option of putting in the
amount tendered. How are these people getting through life not knowing how
to make change?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> We stopped there the other day. My mom bought one thing. I bought just a
> few things. We went through different lines. When I met up with my mom,
> she was shaking her head. She said that her purchase came to
> somethingorother and 7 cents. She handed the cashier a $20 bill. Then
> said that she had the 7 cents but... The cashier had already put in the
> $20 bill into the register. She could not figure out how much change to
> give back to my mom. My mom told her but she acted like she didn't
> believe her and then fished around for a calculator. Gah!
>
> My problem was different. Cashier owed me 85 cents. But the combination
> of coins that added up to 85 cents was baffling to her. She kept pick up
> coins then shaking her head and putting them back. When she finally did
> hand me something, I double checked it because I wasn't sure it would be
> right. It was. But of course she did the two quarters, three dimes and a
> nickel. And her drawer was full of coins. Wasn't like she was out of
> quarters. *sigh*
>
> I see this sort of stuff all the time but at a store as pricey as WF is,
> you'd think they'd be well trained.
>
> I had to learn to make change in the 5th grade. Angela had to learn in
> the 3rd grade. Then when I was in high school, I took Deca. We were
> tested on counting it back to the customer. No computerized registers in
> those days and the ones that we had didn't always give you the option of
> putting in the amount tendered. How are these people getting through life
> not knowing how to make change?

I pay in cash. I am used to the fact that most cashiers are not trained to
deal with it. That's okay. I am mildly amused that some of them will hold
a bill I've handed them up to the light (?) and some will make a felt tip
pen across it. Some will just pile a handful of money in my hand. Some know
how to count it out properly. It crosses my mind to ALSO hold their return
change up to the light, make a felt tip pen across it and perhaps bite a
coin or two to see if they're real. Such is life. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> We stopped there the other day. My mom bought one thing. I bought just
>> a few things. We went through different lines. When I met up with my
>> mom, she was shaking her head. She said that her purchase came to
>> somethingorother and 7 cents. She handed the cashier a $20 bill. Then
>> said that she had the 7 cents but... The cashier had already put in the
>> $20 bill into the register. She could not figure out how much change to
>> give back to my mom. My mom told her but she acted like she didn't
>> believe her and then fished around for a calculator. Gah!
>>
>> My problem was different. Cashier owed me 85 cents. But the combination
>> of coins that added up to 85 cents was baffling to her. She kept pick up
>> coins then shaking her head and putting them back. When she finally did
>> hand me something, I double checked it because I wasn't sure it would be
>> right. It was. But of course she did the two quarters, three dimes and
>> a nickel. And her drawer was full of coins. Wasn't like she was out of
>> quarters. *sigh*
>>
>> I see this sort of stuff all the time but at a store as pricey as WF is,
>> you'd think they'd be well trained.
>>
>> I had to learn to make change in the 5th grade. Angela had to learn in
>> the 3rd grade. Then when I was in high school, I took Deca. We were
>> tested on counting it back to the customer. No computerized registers in
>> those days and the ones that we had didn't always give you the option of
>> putting in the amount tendered. How are these people getting through
>> life not knowing how to make change?

> I pay in cash. I am used to the fact that most cashiers are not trained
> to deal with it. That's okay. I am mildly amused that some of them will
> hold a bill I've handed them up to the light (?) and some will make a felt
> tip pen across it. Some will just pile a handful of money in my hand.
> Some know how to count it out properly. It crosses my mind to ALSO hold
> their return change up to the light, make a felt tip pen across it and
> perhaps bite a coin or two to see if they're real. Such is life. Polly

I usually pay in cash. Exception is Target where I use my Red Card to save
5%. And once in a while if the ATM is broken, I will have to use my debit
card. I've been told at Costco that nobody pays cash there. I am also
amazed at the number of people I've heard say that they never carry cash.
For me it is far to easy to overspend unless I pay cash. With cash, I can
easily see the amount and I know when it's going to run out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>> My problem was different. Cashier owed me 85 cents. But the combination
>> of coins that added up to 85 cents was baffling to her. She kept pick up
>> coins then shaking her head and putting them back. When she finally did
>> hand me something, I double checked it because I wasn't sure it would be
>> right. It was. But of course she did the two quarters, three dimes and a
>> nickel. And her drawer was full of coins. Wasn't like she was out of
>> quarters. *sigh*
>>
>> I see this sort of stuff all the time but at a store as pricey as WF is,
>> you'd think they'd be well trained.

It is not Whole Foods, but every store has robots operating scanners
instead of well trained cashiers. The first step it to find a high
school graduate that is fully trainable. The ones capable of doing
such are probably going to law school or medical school.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 00:11:27 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I've been told at Costco that nobody pays cash there. I am also
>amazed at the number of people I've heard say that they never carry cash.
>For me it is far to easy to overspend unless I pay cash. With cash, I can
>easily see the amount and I know when it's going to run out.

At the supermarket, my bill is usually $10 to $30 so paying cash is
easy. When we make our monthly trip to BJs (like Costco) the total is
often $300 or more so no, I don't carry that much cash most of the
time so it is easy to swipe the debit card.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/4/2013 6:07 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 00:11:27 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> I've been told at Costco that nobody pays cash there. I am also
>> amazed at the number of people I've heard say that they never carry cash.
>> For me it is far to easy to overspend unless I pay cash. With cash, I can
>> easily see the amount and I know when it's going to run out.

> At the supermarket, my bill is usually $10 to $30 so paying cash is
> easy. When we make our monthly trip to BJs (like Costco) the total is
> often $300 or more so no, I don't carry that much cash most of the
> time so it is easy to swipe the debit card.

I don't decide to buy something because I happen to have enough cash,
so it's irrelevant how I pay. Since I get a percentage of whatever
I charge back at the end of the year, it behooves me to use my card.

I used to pay cash all the time. All it meant was more trips to
the ATM and dealing with cash is more work than swiping my card.
I carry the same 40-60 dollars around for weeks.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 11/4/2013 6:07 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 00:11:27 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> I've been told at Costco that nobody pays cash there. I am also
>>> amazed at the number of people I've heard say that they never carry
>>> cash.
>>> For me it is far to easy to overspend unless I pay cash. With cash, I
>>> can
>>> easily see the amount and I know when it's going to run out.

>> At the supermarket, my bill is usually $10 to $30 so paying cash is
>> easy. When we make our monthly trip to BJs (like Costco) the total is
>> often $300 or more so no, I don't carry that much cash most of the
>> time so it is easy to swipe the debit card.

> I don't decide to buy something because I happen to have enough cash,
> so it's irrelevant how I pay. Since I get a percentage of whatever
> I charge back at the end of the year, it behooves me to use my card.
>
> I used to pay cash all the time. All it meant was more trips to
> the ATM and dealing with cash is more work than swiping my card.
> I carry the same 40-60 dollars around for weeks.

I never carry cash and haven't done so for a long time. DH carries a little
for very small purchases.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/4/2013 8:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> On 11/4/2013 6:07 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 00:11:27 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> At the supermarket, my bill is usually $10 to $30 so paying cash is
>>> easy. When we make our monthly trip to BJs (like Costco) the total is
>>> often $300 or more so no, I don't carry that much cash most of the
>>> time so it is easy to swipe the debit card.

>> I don't decide to buy something because I happen to have enough cash,
>> so it's irrelevant how I pay. Since I get a percentage of whatever
>> I charge back at the end of the year, it behooves me to use my card.
>>
>> I used to pay cash all the time. All it meant was more trips to
>> the ATM and dealing with cash is more work than swiping my card.
>> I carry the same 40-60 dollars around for weeks.

> I never carry cash and haven't done so for a long time. DH carries a
> little for very small purchases.

The only coins I carry are some quarters for old-fashioned parking
meters. Any coins I aquire as change go into a plastic jar and are taken
to my bank counting machine once a month or so. I don't use credit cards
for bills costing less than $10 and thus I don't like "smart" parking
meters.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 11/4/2013 8:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I don't decide to buy something because I happen to have enough cash,
>>> so it's irrelevant how I pay. Since I get a percentage of whatever
>>> I charge back at the end of the year, it behooves me to use my card.
>>>
>>> I used to pay cash all the time. All it meant was more trips to
>>> the ATM and dealing with cash is more work than swiping my card.
>>> I carry the same 40-60 dollars around for weeks.

>> I never carry cash and haven't done so for a long time. DH carries a
>> little for very small purchases.
>>

> The only coins I carry are some quarters for old-fashioned parking meters.
> Any coins I aquire as change go into a plastic jar and are taken to my
> bank counting machine once a month or so. I don't use credit cards for
> bills costing less than $10 and thus I don't like "smart" parking meters.

Pretty much the same here.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> > On 11/4/2013 6:07 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >> On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 00:11:27 -0800, "Julie Bove"

> >> At the supermarket, my bill is usually $10 to $30 so paying cash is
> >> easy. When we make our monthly trip to BJs (like Costco) the total is
> >> often $300 or more so no, I don't carry that much cash most of the
> >> time so it is easy to swipe the debit card.

> > I don't decide to buy something because I happen to have enough cash,
> > so it's irrelevant how I pay. Since I get a percentage of whatever
> > I charge back at the end of the year, it behooves me to use my card.
> >
> > I used to pay cash all the time. All it meant was more trips to
> > the ATM and dealing with cash is more work than swiping my card.
> > I carry the same 40-60 dollars around for weeks.

> I never carry cash and haven't done so for a long time. DH carries a little
> for very small purchases.

You should always have some amount of cash with you, there are times
when networks may be down and credit/debit cards aren't useable. Cash is
also useful for anonymity vs. having some credit card company and anyone
they sell your data to know every single purchase you make.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> We stopped there the other day. My mom bought one thing. I bought just a
> few things. We went through different lines. When I met up with my mom,
> she was shaking her head. She said that her purchase came to
> somethingorother and 7 cents. She handed the cashier a $20 bill. Then
> said that she had the 7 cents but... The cashier had already put in the
> $20 bill into the register. She could not figure out how much change to
> give back to my mom. My mom told her but she acted like she didn't
> believe her and then fished around for a calculator. Gah!
>
> My problem was different. Cashier owed me 85 cents. But the combination
> of coins that added up to 85 cents was baffling to her. She kept pick up
> coins then shaking her head and putting them back. When she finally did
> hand me something, I double checked it because I wasn't sure it would be
> right. It was. But of course she did the two quarters, three dimes and a
> nickel. And her drawer was full of coins. Wasn't like she was out of
> quarters. *sigh*
>
> I see this sort of stuff all the time but at a store as pricey as WF is,
> you'd think they'd be well trained.
>
> I had to learn to make change in the 5th grade. Angela had to learn in
> the 3rd grade. Then when I was in high school, I took Deca. We were
> tested on counting it back to the customer. No computerized registers in
> those days and the ones that we had didn't always give you the option of
> putting in the amount tendered. How are these people getting through life
> not knowing how to make change?

All cash registers show change due. What are they using, hand crank boxes
from 1890?

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> We stopped there the other day. My mom bought one thing. I bought just
>> a few things. We went through different lines. When I met up with my
>> mom, she was shaking her head. She said that her purchase came to
>> somethingorother and 7 cents. She handed the cashier a $20 bill. Then
>> said that she had the 7 cents but... The cashier had already put in the
>> $20 bill into the register. She could not figure out how much change to
>> give back to my mom. My mom told her but she acted like she didn't
>> believe her and then fished around for a calculator. Gah!
>>
>> My problem was different. Cashier owed me 85 cents. But the combination
>> of coins that added up to 85 cents was baffling to her. She kept pick up
>> coins then shaking her head and putting them back. When she finally did
>> hand me something, I double checked it because I wasn't sure it would be
>> right. It was. But of course she did the two quarters, three dimes and
>> a nickel. And her drawer was full of coins. Wasn't like she was out of
>> quarters. *sigh*
>>
>> I see this sort of stuff all the time but at a store as pricey as WF is,
>> you'd think they'd be well trained.
>>
>> I had to learn to make change in the 5th grade. Angela had to learn in
>> the 3rd grade. Then when I was in high school, I took Deca. We were
>> tested on counting it back to the customer. No computerized registers in
>> those days and the ones that we had didn't always give you the option of
>> putting in the amount tendered. How are these people getting through
>> life not knowing how to make change?

> I pay in cash. I am used to the fact that most cashiers are not trained
> to deal with it. That's okay. I am mildly amused that some of them will
> hold a bill I've handed them up to the light (?) and some will make a felt
> tip pen across it. Some will just pile a handful of money in my hand.
> Some know how to count it out properly. It crosses my mind to ALSO hold
> their return change up to the light, make a felt tip pen across it and
> perhaps bite a coin or two to see if they're real. Such is life. Polly

Their companies require it. My bank does that for every bill over 10.00
that I deposit. They are just doing their job.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 10:08:14 -0500, "Pete C." >
wrote:

> You should always have some amount of cash with you, there are times
> when networks may be down and credit/debit cards aren't useable. Cash is
> also useful for anonymity vs. having some credit card company and anyone
> they sell your data to know every single purchase you make.

I carry about $20, often less. Almost everything goes onto the card,
it's paid off at the end of the month and I don't care. They already
know a lot about me just from public information.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 07:30:16 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >
> > I had to learn to make change in the 5th grade. Angela had to learn in
> > the 3rd grade. Then when I was in high school, I took Deca. We were
> > tested on counting it back to the customer. No computerized registers in
> > those days and the ones that we had didn't always give you the option of
> > putting in the amount tendered. How are these people getting through life
> > not knowing how to make change?

> All cash registers show change due. What are they using, hand crank boxes
> from 1890?

Making change isn't a big deal if the cashier learned how to count UP
back in second grade.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/3/2013 9:28 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> We stopped there the other day. My mom bought one thing. I bought
> just a few things. We went through different lines. When I met up
> with my mom, she was shaking her head. She said that her purchase
> came to somethingorother and 7 cents. She handed the cashier a $20
> bill. Then said that she had the 7 cents but... The cashier had
> already put in the $20 bill into the register. She could not figure
> out how much change to give back to my mom. My mom told her but she
> acted like she didn't believe her and then fished around for a
> calculator. Gah!
>
> My problem was different. Cashier owed me 85 cents. But the
> combination of coins that added up to 85 cents was baffling to her.
> She kept pick up coins then shaking her head and putting them back.
> When she finally did hand me something, I double checked it because I
> wasn't sure it would be right. It was. But of course she did the two
> quarters, three dimes and a nickel. And her drawer was full of
> coins. Wasn't like she was out of quarters. *sigh*
>
> I see this sort of stuff all the time but at a store as pricey as WF
> is, you'd think they'd be well trained.
>
> I had to learn to make change in the 5th grade. Angela had to learn
> in the 3rd grade. Then when I was in high school, I took Deca. We
> were tested on counting it back to the customer. No computerized
> registers in those days and the ones that we had didn't always give
> you the option of putting in the amount tendered. How are these
> people getting through life not knowing how to make change?

I worked as a cashier in the 70s and 80s (pre computerized cash
register days) and people had the same problem then. It wasn't
confined to young people then, either. In fact, I recall volunteering
in a food booth at a state fair for a day amongst a bunch of primarily
middle-aged and elderly people. We were supposed to rotate between
stations in the booth (mixing the batter, cooking the donuts, bagging
the donuts, taking the money), but I was quickly relegated to taking
the money, because _none_ of the other volunteers was able to
consistently and accurately make change. They were afraid of it, so
they had me do it - and they were all a lot older than I was.

You're either mathematically apt, or you're not. The thing is, even
back in the pre-calculator days, most adults didn't have to practice
simple math skills on a regular basis. Use it or lose it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/4/2013 11:01 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 10:08:14 -0500, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>
>> You should always have some amount of cash with you, there are times
>> when networks may be down and credit/debit cards aren't useable. Cash is
>> also useful for anonymity vs. having some credit card company and anyone
>> they sell your data to know every single purchase you make.

> I carry about $20, often less. Almost everything goes onto the card,
> it's paid off at the end of the month and I don't care. They already
> know a lot about me just from public information.

When you pay by a means that can be tracked, they learn about your
health issues, what prescription and non-prescription drugs you take,
what personal hygiene products you use, whether you color your hair,
whether you have hemorrhoids or gastric reflux or chronic pain or just
about anything else you'd rather not have perfect strangers know. That
information is for sale to anyone who wants it.

A woman I know had one of her credit cards cancelled after the company
that issued the card looked at her purchase history, saw all the
prescription medications she was on, and decided that her poor health
made her a bad risk. They _told_ her that when she called to find out
why they'd closed her account. Of course, once she filed a complaint
with the feds, they came up with an official reason that had nothing
to do with her purchasing history.

During the early years of the Great Recession, several credit card
companies closed accounts of persons based on their history of
shopping at Walmart. Again, the card issuer's reasoning was that it
indicated a higher risk of those people being or becoming unable to
make their credit card payments.

In short: what other people know about you can hurt you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther wrote:

> I am mildly amused that some of them will hold
> a bill I've handed them up to the light (?) and some will make a felt tip
> pen across it. Some will just pile a handful of money in my hand. Some know
> how to count it out properly. It crosses my mind to ALSO hold their return
> change up to the light, make a felt tip pen across it and perhaps bite a
> coin or two to see if they're real. Such is life. Polly

LOL! You should do that sometime. That's funny...especially biting
the coins. hahahah

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Moe DeLoughan" > wrote in message
> On 11/4/2013 11:01 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 10:08:14 -0500, "Pete C." >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> You should always have some amount of cash with you, there are times
>>> when networks may be down and credit/debit cards aren't useable. Cash is
>>> also useful for anonymity vs. having some credit card company and anyone
>>> they sell your data to know every single purchase you make.

>> I carry about $20, often less. Almost everything goes onto the card,
>> it's paid off at the end of the month and I don't care. They already
>> know a lot about me just from public information.
>>

> When you pay by a means that can be tracked, they learn about your health
> issues, what prescription and non-prescription drugs you take, what
> personal hygiene products you use, whether you color your hair, whether
> you have hemorrhoids or gastric reflux or chronic pain or just about
> anything else you'd rather not have perfect strangers know. That
> information is for sale to anyone who wants it.
>
> A woman I know had one of her credit cards cancelled after the company
> that issued the card looked at her purchase history, saw all the
> prescription medications she was on, and decided that her poor health made
> her a bad risk. They _told_ her that when she called to find out why
> they'd closed her account. Of course, once she filed a complaint with the
> feds, they came up with an official reason that had nothing to do with her
> purchasing history.
>
> During the early years of the Great Recession, several credit card
> companies closed accounts of persons based on their history of shopping at
> Walmart. Again, the card issuer's reasoning was that it indicated a higher
> risk of those people being or becoming unable to make their credit card
> payments.

I can't see any person working for a credit card company actually telling
someone that, even if it were true. I highly doubt that it is true as told
though. Maybe your friend got behind or something and didn't want to admit
it. I would like to know what credit card companies canceled cards simply
because they were used at Wal-Mart. Also sounds like there might have been
another reason too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:28:53 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> We stopped there the other day. My mom bought one thing. I bought just a
>
> few things. We went through different lines. When I met up with my mom,
>
> she was shaking her head. She said that her purchase came to
>
> somethingorother and 7 cents. She handed the cashier a $20 bill. Then said
>
> that she had the 7 cents but... The cashier had already put in the $20 bill
>
> into the register. She could not figure out how much change to give back to
>
> my mom. My mom told her but she acted like she didn't believe her and then
>
> fished around for a calculator. Gah!
>

> My problem was different. Cashier owed me 85 cents. But the combination of
>
> coins that added up to 85 cents was baffling to her. She kept pick up coins
>
> then shaking her head and putting them back. When she finally did hand me
>
> something, I double checked it because I wasn't sure it would be right. It
>
> was. But of course she did the two quarters, three dimes and a nickel. And
>
> her drawer was full of coins. Wasn't like she was out of quarters. *sigh*
>

> I see this sort of stuff all the time but at a store as pricey as WF is,
>
> you'd think they'd be well trained.
>

> I had to learn to make change in the 5th grade. Angela had to learn in the
>
> 3rd grade. Then when I was in high school, I took Deca. We were tested on
>
> counting it back to the customer. No computerized registers in those days
>
> and the ones that we had didn't always give you the option of putting in the
>
> amount tendered. How are these people getting through life not knowing how
>
> to make change?

I nearly always use my credit card. I like getting the miles each month, and I do not like carrying money around.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

>>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> My problem was different. Cashier owed me 85 cents. But the
>>> combination
>>> of coins that added up to 85 cents was baffling to her. She kept pick
>>> up
>>> coins then shaking her head and putting them back. When she finally did
>>> hand me something, I double checked it because I wasn't sure it would be
>>> right. It was. But of course she did the two quarters, three dimes and
>>> a
>>> nickel. And her drawer was full of coins. Wasn't like she was out of
>>> quarters. *sigh*
>>>
>>> I see this sort of stuff all the time but at a store as pricey as WF is,
>>> you'd think they'd be well trained.

> It is not Whole Foods, but every store has robots operating scanners
> instead of well trained cashiers. The first step it to find a high
> school graduate that is fully trainable. The ones capable of doing
> such are probably going to law school or medical school.

That could be. I wasn't always a cashier but I was one for a time. When I
was a supervisor, I only ever had one person that was not trainable. She
was a 30something woman who had been a keypunch operator. But she had been
in a car accident that left her with brain damage. Turned out there was not
one single job in the store that she was capable of doing. Not even setting
the table for a birthday breakfast, opening a can or mixing concentrated OJ.
She had two little boys. Made me wonder if they got fed when she was home
with them. Also made me wonder how she got to work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 00:11:27 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> I've been told at Costco that nobody pays cash there. I am also
>>amazed at the number of people I've heard say that they never carry cash.
>>For me it is far to easy to overspend unless I pay cash. With cash, I can
>>easily see the amount and I know when it's going to run out.

> At the supermarket, my bill is usually $10 to $30 so paying cash is
> easy. When we make our monthly trip to BJs (like Costco) the total is
> often $300 or more so no, I don't carry that much cash most of the
> time so it is easy to swipe the debit card.

My Costco bill usually runs around $20-$30. Could be more if they have
coupon items, I am buying gifts or shopping with my mom. Once in a while I
do buy more things that than. But on most trips I just buy a loaf of bread
and a box of apples.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 11/4/2013 6:07 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 00:11:27 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> I've been told at Costco that nobody pays cash there. I am also
>>> amazed at the number of people I've heard say that they never carry
>>> cash.
>>> For me it is far to easy to overspend unless I pay cash. With cash, I
>>> can
>>> easily see the amount and I know when it's going to run out.

>> At the supermarket, my bill is usually $10 to $30 so paying cash is
>> easy. When we make our monthly trip to BJs (like Costco) the total is
>> often $300 or more so no, I don't carry that much cash most of the
>> time so it is easy to swipe the debit card.

> I don't decide to buy something because I happen to have enough cash,
> so it's irrelevant how I pay. Since I get a percentage of whatever
> I charge back at the end of the year, it behooves me to use my card.
>
> I used to pay cash all the time. All it meant was more trips to
> the ATM and dealing with cash is more work than swiping my card.
> I carry the same 40-60 dollars around for weeks.

I have no incentive to use my card and after having my info. stolen *twice*
now, even less incentive. ATMs are not a big deal to me. I can get $400 at
Costco with no fee or as much as $1,000 at Winco for a $1 fee. Both are
places I go to at least twice a month. There are also many BECUs and some
other credit union either in places I go or nearby and I pay no fee there.
I do get more than I need at the time. I just try to make it last a while.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 11/4/2013 8:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I don't decide to buy something because I happen to have enough cash,
>>> so it's irrelevant how I pay. Since I get a percentage of whatever
>>> I charge back at the end of the year, it behooves me to use my card.
>>>
>>> I used to pay cash all the time. All it meant was more trips to
>>> the ATM and dealing with cash is more work than swiping my card.
>>> I carry the same 40-60 dollars around for weeks.

>> I never carry cash and haven't done so for a long time. DH carries a
>> little for very small purchases.
>>

> The only coins I carry are some quarters for old-fashioned parking meters.
> Any coins I aquire as change go into a plastic jar and are taken to my
> bank counting machine once a month or so. I don't use credit cards for
> bills costing less than $10 and thus I don't like "smart" parking meters.

We have no parking meters around here so that's no problem. I do keep
coins in the ashtray of my van. Daughter often finds them on the floor.
They come in handy when going through the Starbucks drive through if I don't
happen to have a dollar in my wallet for a tip. Then when we go to the pet
store or vet, daughter takes the coins that we have in and puts them in the
donation bin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message

> Ophelia wrote:

>> > I don't decide to buy something because I happen to have enough cash,
>> > so it's irrelevant how I pay. Since I get a percentage of whatever
>> > I charge back at the end of the year, it behooves me to use my card.
>> >
>> > I used to pay cash all the time. All it meant was more trips to
>> > the ATM and dealing with cash is more work than swiping my card.
>> > I carry the same 40-60 dollars around for weeks.

>> I never carry cash and haven't done so for a long time. DH carries a
>> little
>> for very small purchases.

> You should always have some amount of cash with you, there are times
> when networks may be down and credit/debit cards aren't useable. Cash is
> also useful for anonymity vs. having some credit card company and anyone
> they sell your data to know every single purchase you make.

Yes! When I lived on Cape Cod, some sort of freak problem occurred. Phone
lines went down for about a week. That meant you could not use a credit or
debit card or even an ATM. You also could not use a check if the place used
a verification system via phone lines. I learned to keep some cash stashed
away, even if it was only enough to buy stuff like bread and milk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Moe DeLoughan" > wrote in message
>> On 11/4/2013 11:01 AM, sf wrote:

>>> I carry about $20, often less. Almost everything goes onto the card,
>>> it's paid off at the end of the month and I don't care. They already
>>> know a lot about me just from public information.
>>>

>> When you pay by a means that can be tracked, they learn about your health
>> issues, what prescription and non-prescription drugs you take, what
>> personal hygiene products you use, whether you color your hair, whether
>> you have hemorrhoids or gastric reflux or chronic pain or just about
>> anything else you'd rather not have perfect strangers know. That
>> information is for sale to anyone who wants it.
>>
>> A woman I know had one of her credit cards cancelled after the company
>> that issued the card looked at her purchase history, saw all the
>> prescription medications she was on, and decided that her poor health
>> made her a bad risk. They _told_ her that when she called to find out why
>> they'd closed her account. Of course, once she filed a complaint with the
>> feds, they came up with an official reason that had nothing to do with
>> her purchasing history.
>>
>> During the early years of the Great Recession, several credit card
>> companies closed accounts of persons based on their history of shopping
>> at Walmart. Again, the card issuer's reasoning was that it indicated a
>> higher risk of those people being or becoming unable to make their credit
>> card payments.

> I can't see any person working for a credit card company actually telling
> someone that, even if it were true. I highly doubt that it is true as told
> though. Maybe your friend got behind or something and didn't want to admit
> it. I would like to know what credit card companies canceled cards simply
> because they were used at Wal-Mart. Also sounds like there might have been
> another reason too.

I did not get my card canceled for that reason but I have gotten several
phone calls from the fraud dept. In one case, someone got my account number
and tried to purchase something. Now that I think about it, this has
happened three times to me! I think skimmers were involved every time.
That was my debit card. Visa card was canceled because the bank's computer
system had been hacked.

Anyway... One call was indeed fraud. Another time it was Overstock.com who
caught the fraud and I caught it the last time although the fraud dept. had
noticed yet it was the middle of the night and I wasn't able to contact them
till morning. That was a PITA that involved filling out a lot of forms, two
different times and waiting at the bank. I could have mailed the papers in
but I wanted it taken care of ASAP. I was without those funds for quite a
while and the crook took quite a bit from me, online shopping at various
stores for skate and hip hop clothing and a place that sells expensive
headphones.

The other calls were on purchases that my husband made while going back home
to CA. They were small charges like $3-4 at quickie mart type places. They
told me that most crooks will first make a small charge and wait to see if
it goes through. If it does, they then soak you for the big stuff.

I do realize that a skimmer can be put on an ATM and in one case I think it
was. I had used the machine and about two hours later is when I got the
call from the fraud dept. That ATM was replaced with a different one soon
after.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> We stopped there the other day. My mom bought one thing. I bought just
>> a few things. We went through different lines. When I met up with my
>> mom, she was shaking her head. She said that her purchase came to
>> somethingorother and 7 cents. She handed the cashier a $20 bill. Then
>> said that she had the 7 cents but... The cashier had already put in the
>> $20 bill into the register. She could not figure out how much change to
>> give back to my mom. My mom told her but she acted like she didn't
>> believe her and then fished around for a calculator. Gah!
>>
>> My problem was different. Cashier owed me 85 cents. But the combination
>> of coins that added up to 85 cents was baffling to her. She kept pick up
>> coins then shaking her head and putting them back. When she finally did
>> hand me something, I double checked it because I wasn't sure it would be
>> right. It was. But of course she did the two quarters, three dimes and
>> a nickel. And her drawer was full of coins. Wasn't like she was out of
>> quarters. *sigh*
>>
>> I see this sort of stuff all the time but at a store as pricey as WF is,
>> you'd think they'd be well trained.
>>
>> I had to learn to make change in the 5th grade. Angela had to learn in
>> the 3rd grade. Then when I was in high school, I took Deca. We were
>> tested on counting it back to the customer. No computerized registers in
>> those days and the ones that we had didn't always give you the option of
>> putting in the amount tendered. How are these people getting through
>> life not knowing how to make change?

> All cash registers show change due. What are they using, hand crank boxes
> from 1890?

Yes! But she didn't know what coins to select to make it add up to 85
cents. And in my mom's case, the cashier input the $20 bill but my mom
handed her the 7 cents after she had done this. I know enough never to try
to do this after they input the amount unless I am familiar with the person
and think they do have a clue.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 07:30:16 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > I had to learn to make change in the 5th grade. Angela had to learn in
>> > the 3rd grade. Then when I was in high school, I took Deca. We were
>> > tested on counting it back to the customer. No computerized registers
>> > in
>> > those days and the ones that we had didn't always give you the option
>> > of
>> > putting in the amount tendered. How are these people getting through
>> > life
>> > not knowing how to make change?

>> All cash registers show change due. What are they using, hand crank
>> boxes
>> from 1890?
>>

> Making change isn't a big deal if the cashier learned how to count UP
> back in second grade.

Apparently they did not. That's what gets me. If I learned it in school
and my daughter learned it in school, how could they not have?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 4, 2013 10:08:14 AM UTC-5, Pete C. wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:

> > > I don't decide to buy something because I happen to have enough cash,

> > > so it's irrelevant how I pay. Since I get a percentage of whatever

> > > I charge back at the end of the year, it behooves me to use my card.

> > > I used to pay cash all the time. All it meant was more trips to

> > > the ATM and dealing with cash is more work than swiping my card.

> > > I carry the same 40-60 dollars around for weeks.

> > I never carry cash and haven't done so for a long time. DH carries a little

> > for very small purchases.

> You should always have some amount of cash with you, there are times
>
> when networks may be down and credit/debit cards aren't useable. Cash is
>
> also useful for anonymity vs. having some credit card company and anyone
>
> they sell your data to know every single purchase you make.

Boy, did I learn that the hard way. I forgot my ATM PIN, and after two fruitless attempts, the card was denied. Whipped out to the car where I have a minor cash stash. I had to later call the bank to clear the matter.

I can't imagine running around without some cash on me. I have even paid a fee at an ATM to garner some cash when a particular retailer looks suspicious. No way was i about to use a debit OR credit card.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Moe DeLoughan" > wrote in message
> On 11/3/2013 9:28 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> We stopped there the other day. My mom bought one thing. I bought
>> just a few things. We went through different lines. When I met up
>> with my mom, she was shaking her head. She said that her purchase
>> came to somethingorother and 7 cents. She handed the cashier a $20
>> bill. Then said that she had the 7 cents but... The cashier had
>> already put in the $20 bill into the register. She could not figure
>> out how much change to give back to my mom. My mom told her but she
>> acted like she didn't believe her and then fished around for a
>> calculator. Gah!
>>
>> My problem was different. Cashier owed me 85 cents. But the
>> combination of coins that added up to 85 cents was baffling to her.
>> She kept pick up coins then shaking her head and putting them back.
>> When she finally did hand me something, I double checked it because I
>> wasn't sure it would be right. It was. But of course she did the two
>> quarters, three dimes and a nickel. And her drawer was full of
>> coins. Wasn't like she was out of quarters. *sigh*
>>
>> I see this sort of stuff all the time but at a store as pricey as WF
>> is, you'd think they'd be well trained.
>>
>> I had to learn to make change in the 5th grade. Angela had to learn
>> in the 3rd grade. Then when I was in high school, I took Deca. We
>> were tested on counting it back to the customer. No computerized
>> registers in those days and the ones that we had didn't always give
>> you the option of putting in the amount tendered. How are these
>> people getting through life not knowing how to make change?

> I worked as a cashier in the 70s and 80s (pre computerized cash register
> days) and people had the same problem then. It wasn't confined to young
> people then, either. In fact, I recall volunteering in a food booth at a
> state fair for a day amongst a bunch of primarily middle-aged and elderly
> people. We were supposed to rotate between stations in the booth (mixing
> the batter, cooking the donuts, bagging the donuts, taking the money), but
> I was quickly relegated to taking the money, because _none_ of the other
> volunteers was able to consistently and accurately make change. They were
> afraid of it, so they had me do it - and they were all a lot older than I
> was.
>
> You're either mathematically apt, or you're not. The thing is, even back
> in the pre-calculator days, most adults didn't have to practice simple
> math skills on a regular basis. Use it or lose it.

I would not say that math is my strong suit in that I dislike it and I never
took any higher level classes like geometry. And yet math was involved in
my job most of the time. I had no problems making change, I worked with
percentages to figure out if we were making enough profit or to figure out
how much to mark down the clearance items. I also did 10 key. All of these
things are very repetitive things and rather simplistic. I can even do some
math in my mind but not all of it. For instance, I can easily figure what
10% or really any % of a number is in my mind. Not everyone can do that.
But I can't necessarily add or subtract complex numbers in my mind and I do
know people who can do that.

But as a kid, we played games like Monopoly and they required you to be able
to pay for things and make change. I guess not everyone played those
though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 4, 2013 12:38:31 PM UTC-6, Cheri wrote:

> "Moe DeLoughan" > wrote in message

> > On 11/4/2013 11:01 AM, sf wrote:

> >> I carry about $20, often less. Almost everything goes onto the card,

> >> it's paid off at the end of the month and I don't care. They already

> >> know a lot about me just from public information.

> > When you pay by a means that can be tracked, they learn about your health

> > issues, what prescription and non-prescription drugs you take, what

> > personal hygiene products you use, whether you color your hair, whether

> > you have hemorrhoids or gastric reflux or chronic pain or just about

> > anything else you'd rather not have perfect strangers know. That

> > information is for sale to anyone who wants it.

> > A woman I know had one of her credit cards cancelled after the company

> > that issued the card looked at her purchase history, saw all the

> > prescription medications she was on, and decided that her poor health made

> > her a bad risk. They _told_ her that when she called to find out why

> > they'd closed her account. Of course, once she filed a complaint with the

> > feds, they came up with an official reason that had nothing to do with her

> > purchasing history.

> > During the early years of the Great Recession, several credit card

> > companies closed accounts of persons based on their history of shopping at

> > Walmart. Again, the card issuer's reasoning was that it indicated a higher

> > risk of those people being or becoming unable to make their credit card

> > payments.

> I can't see any person working for a credit card company actually telling
>
> someone that, even if it were true. I highly doubt that it is true as told
>
> though. Maybe your friend got behind or something and didn't want to admit
>
> it. I would like to know what credit card companies canceled cards simply
>
> because they were used at Wal-Mart. Also sounds like there might have been
>
> another reason too.
>

> Cheri

I'm having a hard time, very hard time, believing his story, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"rosie" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:28:53 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>> We stopped there the other day. My mom bought one thing. I bought just
>>
>> few things. We went through different lines. When I met up with my mom,
>>
>> she was shaking her head. She said that her purchase came to
>>
>> somethingorother and 7 cents. She handed the cashier a $20 bill. Then
>> said
>>
>> that she had the 7 cents but... The cashier had already put in the $20
>> bill
>>
>> into the register. She could not figure out how much change to give back
>>
>> my mom. My mom told her but she acted like she didn't believe her and
>> then
>>
>> fished around for a calculator. Gah!
>>

>> My problem was different. Cashier owed me 85 cents. But the combination
>> of
>>
>> coins that added up to 85 cents was baffling to her. She kept pick up
>> coins
>>
>> then shaking her head and putting them back. When she finally did hand
>> me
>>
>> something, I double checked it because I wasn't sure it would be right.
>> It
>>
>> was. But of course she did the two quarters, three dimes and a nickel.
>> And
>>
>> her drawer was full of coins. Wasn't like she was out of quarters.
>> *sigh*
>>

>> I see this sort of stuff all the time but at a store as pricey as WF is,
>>
>> you'd think they'd be well trained.
>>

>> I had to learn to make change in the 5th grade. Angela had to learn in
>> the
>>
>> 3rd grade. Then when I was in high school, I took Deca. We were tested
>> on
>>
>> counting it back to the customer. No computerized registers in those
>> days
>>
>> and the ones that we had didn't always give you the option of putting in
>> the
>>
>> amount tendered. How are these people getting through life not knowing
>> how
>>
>> to make change?

> I nearly always use my credit card. I like getting the miles each month,
> and I do not like carrying money around.

I get no rewards with my card and not everyone here takes cards. Some
restaurants are cash only and some places charge a fee if your sale is under
a certain amount. When I was young and trying to build a credit rating, I
did use the cards whenever I could. Now I use my Visa card only for
emergency things. Like a plumber or car repair when I don't have the cash
on me. I suppose I would use the card if I ever went on vacation, but I
don't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/4/2013 1:14 PM, Gary wrote:
> Polly Esther wrote:
>>
>> I am mildly amused that some of them will hold
>> a bill I've handed them up to the light (?) and some will make a felt tip
>> pen across it. Some will just pile a handful of money in my hand. Some know
>> how to count it out properly. It crosses my mind to ALSO hold their return
>> change up to the light, make a felt tip pen across it and perhaps bite a
>> coin or two to see if they're real. Such is life. Polly

> LOL! You should do that sometime. That's funny...especially biting
> the coins. hahahah
>
> G.

That *would* be funny! LOL I haven't had anyone swipe one of those
markers on paper money in a while. But there was a time when everyone
was doing it.

Polly seems to be uncertain about the holding bills up to the light
thing. It's to check for the watermark. Any counterfeiter worth
his/her salt would know to add that.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 8:28:53 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> We stopped there the other day. My mom bought one thing. I bought just a
>
> few things. We went through different lines. When I met up with my mom,
>
> she was shaking her head. She said that her purchase came to
>
> somethingorother and 7 cents. She handed the cashier a $20 bill. Then said
>
> that she had the 7 cents but... The cashier had already put in the $20 bill
>
> into the register. She could not figure out how much change to give back to
>
> my mom. My mom told her but she acted like she didn't believe her and then
>
> fished around for a calculator. Gah!
>

> My problem was different. Cashier owed me 85 cents. But the combination of
>
> coins that added up to 85 cents was baffling to her. She kept pick up coins
>
> then shaking her head and putting them back. When she finally did hand me
>
> something, I double checked it because I wasn't sure it would be right. It
>
> was. But of course she did the two quarters, three dimes and a nickel. And
>
> her drawer was full of coins. Wasn't like she was out of quarters. *sigh*
>

> I see this sort of stuff all the time but at a store as pricey as WF is,
>
> you'd think they'd be well trained.
>

> I had to learn to make change in the 5th grade. Angela had to learn in the
>
> 3rd grade. Then when I was in high school, I took Deca. We were tested on
>
> counting it back to the customer. No computerized registers in those days
>
> and the ones that we had didn't always give you the option of putting in the
>
> amount tendered. How are these people getting through life not knowing how
>
> to make change?

Every election year we are asked to pass some thing for more money for schools. Yet the kids come out of school dumb as sticks. Many just don't want to be bothered to learn. That's why they have a crap job at a grocery store.

Dale P
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://money.howstuffworks.com/question212.htm

> Janet

Yes, but is counterfeiting rampant? I haven't heard any breaking news
lately.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dalep" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, November 3, 2013 8:28:53 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>> We stopped there the other day. My mom bought one thing. I bought just
>>
>> few things. We went through different lines. When I met up with my mom,
>>
>> she was shaking her head. She said that her purchase came to
>>
>> somethingorother and 7 cents. She handed the cashier a $20 bill. Then
>> said
>>
>> that she had the 7 cents but... The cashier had already put in the $20
>> bill
>>
>> into the register. She could not figure out how much change to give back
>>
>> my mom. My mom told her but she acted like she didn't believe her and
>> then
>>
>> fished around for a calculator. Gah!
>>

>> My problem was different. Cashier owed me 85 cents. But the combination
>> of
>>
>> coins that added up to 85 cents was baffling to her. She kept pick up
>> coins
>>
>> then shaking her head and putting them back. When she finally did hand
>> me
>>
>> something, I double checked it because I wasn't sure it would be right.
>> It
>>
>> was. But of course she did the two quarters, three dimes and a nickel.
>> And
>>
>> her drawer was full of coins. Wasn't like she was out of quarters.
>> *sigh*
>>

>> I see this sort of stuff all the time but at a store as pricey as WF is,
>>
>> you'd think they'd be well trained.
>>

>> I had to learn to make change in the 5th grade. Angela had to learn in
>> the
>>
>> 3rd grade. Then when I was in high school, I took Deca. We were tested
>> on
>>
>> counting it back to the customer. No computerized registers in those
>> days
>>
>> and the ones that we had didn't always give you the option of putting in
>> the
>>
>> amount tendered. How are these people getting through life not knowing
>> how
>>
>> to make change?

> Every election year we are asked to pass some thing for more money for
> schools. Yet the kids come out of school dumb as sticks. Many just don't
> want to be bothered to learn. That's why they have a crap job at a
> grocery store.

That's why kids should not be subject to the minimum wage - let them go get
a low level job and see why they should smarten themselves up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 20:10:04 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/4/2013 7:28 PM, Janet wrote:

>> Checking the notes are genuine not counterfeit.

http://money.howstuffworks.com/question212.htm

>> Janet
>>

>Yes, but is counterfeiting rampant? I haven't heard any breaking news
>lately.
>
>Jill

I see it in the local news quite often for the small time traveling
crooks. For the big time stuff, communication is made directly to the
banks and retailers. It has just become the cost of doing business
and not a big news items. Other stuff in the US and world are far
more worrisome.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 15:28:25 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Yes! But she didn't know what coins to select to make it add up to 85
>> cents.

> I'm sure that cashier was just having a temporary brain fart or had
> other reasons for doing what she did. You're just assuming that she's
> and idiot based on that one brief transaction - hardly worth posting
> about.
>
> At least when RFC accuses somebody of being an idiot, it's usually
> based on weeks, months, or even years of interaction with that person.
>
> -sw

It wasn't one cashier. It was two at the same time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/4/2013 7:28 PM, Janet wrote:

>> Checking the notes are genuine not counterfeit.

http://money.howstuffworks.com/question212.htm

>> Janet
>>

> Yes, but is counterfeiting rampant? I haven't heard any breaking news
> lately.

It is in some areas. We had it in spurts when I worked at K Mart. And on
the show that I saw...I believe it is Thieves Inc., the passing of small
bills like $5 and $10 is getting very common. Used to be only $50 or $100
bills were suspect. Then $20's were more common and now it's even lower
denominations.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dalep" > wrote in message

> Every election year we are asked to pass some thing for more money for
> schools. Yet the kids come out of school dumb as sticks. Many just don't
> want to be bothered to learn. That's why they have a crap job at a
> grocery store.

Often what they learn is very black and white. They are not taught to think
for themselves but to parrot back what is taught to them. This was rampant
in the school that my daughter went to in NY. Here, more creativity is
allowed and students are allowed to speak up but still...it persists. And
it is far too easy to get information these days. When I went to school, we
had to go to the library and use books. Now they just look stuff up online.