Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default woo-doggie! Pull pork

Going Southern, today. woo!

Scored me a 13lb pork shoulder. Half going in the freezer, the other
half going in the oven fer PP. Rubbed with Bay. It'll keep the house
warm on this chilly 8K ft CO day. Got me sum cabbage fer slaw and a
mess o' greens fer ....well, a mess o' greens. woo!

With some beer and Squidbilly DVD, gonna be a fun Sun. woo!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-03, notbob > wrote:
> Going Southern, today. woo!

BTW, that key lime pie is about the consistency of a gummy bear (which
I hate), but it tastes excellent. It'll be gone by tonight. woo!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3 Nov 2013 20:32:06 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>Going Southern, today. woo!
>
>Scored me a 13lb pork shoulder. Half going in the freezer, the other
>half going in the oven fer PP. Rubbed with Bay. It'll keep the house
>warm on this chilly 8K ft CO day. Got me sum cabbage fer slaw and a
>mess o' greens fer ....well, a mess o' greens. woo!
>
>With some beer and Squidbilly DVD, gonna be a fun Sun. woo!
>
>nb

sounds really good. Have you tried this recipe?

Spicy Pop Pulled Pork
2011 Ree Drummond,
Ingredients
2 onions, peeled and quartered
1 whole pork butt (pork shoulder roast)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
One 11-ounce can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
2 cans pop (I use Dr Pepper)
4 packed tablespoons brown sugar
Directions
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
Start by placing the onion quarters in the bottom of a pot. Sprinkle
the pork with salt and pepper, and then place on top of the onions.
Pour the chipotle peppers over the top, and then crack open the cans
of pop and pour them over the whole thing. Add the brown sugar to the
liquid and stir.
Cover the pot, put in the oven and cook for at least 6 hours, flipping
the roast 2 or 3 times during the cooking process. When it's done, the
pork will be dark and weird and wonderful. It'll also be fork-tender.
That's when you know it's done.
Remove the meat from the pot and shred completely. Then return the
meat to the pot and keep in the juice until you need it. Divine!

Here at 3K we've had snow and corn snow so far today. I've just put
a 4+ pound chuck roast into the dutch oven and it is warming the
kitchen. Pot roast with potatoes and carrots for dinner.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-03, Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> One 11-ounce can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce

I can see the Dr Pepper, but I absolutely despise chipotle anything.

> Here at 3K we've had snow and corn snow so far today.

> Pot roast with potatoes and carrots for dinner.

Sounds like the perfect dinner for a snow day.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 13:41:05 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On 3 Nov 2013 20:32:06 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
> >Going Southern, today. woo!
> >
> >Scored me a 13lb pork shoulder. Half going in the freezer, the other
> >half going in the oven fer PP. Rubbed with Bay. It'll keep the house
> >warm on this chilly 8K ft CO day. Got me sum cabbage fer slaw and a
> >mess o' greens fer ....well, a mess o' greens. woo!
> >
> >With some beer and Squidbilly DVD, gonna be a fun Sun. woo!
> >
> >nb

> sounds really good. Have you tried this recipe?
>
> Spicy Pop Pulled Pork
> 2011 Ree Drummond,
> Ingredients
> 2 onions, peeled and quartered
> 1 whole pork butt (pork shoulder roast)
> Salt and freshly ground black pepper
> One 11-ounce can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
> 2 cans pop (I use Dr Pepper)
> 4 packed tablespoons brown sugar

I've come to the conclusion that I'm not a "rub" person. I've tried
the Tyler Florence recipe and it's okay if I don't use the quantity
suggested and keep it to more of a dusting, but I prefer to season
with my usual meat seasonings of garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. What
I vary comes after that... braise it in beer, apple juice/cider or put
it in dry with the cover on the dutch oven and let it braise in its
own juices? I switch it around. In the end, it's pulled. We start
if off with pulled pork sandwiches and then hubby likes to make
carnitas out of the rest which I eat mainly as tacos, but he will fry
it up and eat it on a plate because he loves those crunchy pieces of
pork.

Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence
Show: Food 911
Episode: Indoor Barbecue

Dry Rub:

3 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
3 tablespoons coarse salt

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3 Nov 2013 21:48:28 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2013-11-03, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
>> One 11-ounce can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce

>I can see the Dr Pepper, but I absolutely despise chipotle anything.
>
>> Here at 3K we've had snow and corn snow so far today.

>> Pot roast with potatoes and carrots for dinner.

>Sounds like the perfect dinner for a snow day.
>
>nb

then leave the chipotle out. To my taste buds, the result of the
chipotle is a slight smokiness reminiscent of doing pork in the
smoker. My husband loves this recipe so I don't bother with the
smoker any more.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/3/2013 4:48 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-11-03, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
>> One 11-ounce can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce

> I can see the Dr Pepper, but I absolutely despise chipotle anything.

I won't comment on the Dr. Pepper... Chipotle is rather boring. Adobo
seasoning is nice, though, especially with pork.

>> Here at 3K we've had snow and corn snow so far today.

What is "corn snow?" Us southerner's would like to know. LOL

>> Pot roast with potatoes and carrots for dinner.

> Sounds like the perfect dinner for a snow day.
>
> nb

I should be careful what I wish for. I don't really want it to snow in
South Carolina.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 18:19:29 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/3/2013 4:48 PM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2013-11-03, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>>
>>> One 11-ounce can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce

>> I can see the Dr Pepper, but I absolutely despise chipotle anything.
>>

>I won't comment on the Dr. Pepper... Chipotle is rather boring. Adobo
>seasoning is nice, though, especially with pork.
>
>>> Here at 3K we've had snow and corn snow so far today.

>What is "corn snow?" Us southerner's would like to know. LOL
>
>>> Pot roast with potatoes and carrots for dinner.

>> Sounds like the perfect dinner for a snow day.
>>
>> nb
>>

>I should be careful what I wish for. I don't really want it to snow in
>South Carolina.
>
>Jill

Instead of flakes, corn snow is little round balls of snow. It comes
down like hail but it isn't ice.
This recipe is a 'don't knock it until you've tried it'. BTW, I use
Costco cola. It's just a different liquid to use instead of the
usual. It doesn't impart a Dr. Pepper flavor. I am curious though,
why do you think chipotle in adobe is boring? Are you referring to a
powdered chipotle? Inquiring minds. . .
Janet US
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by notbob View Post
Going Southern, today. woo!

Scored me a 13lb pork shoulder. Half going in the freezer, the other
half going in the oven fer PP. Rubbed with Bay. It'll keep the house
warm on this chilly 8K ft CO day. Got me sum cabbage fer slaw and a
mess o' greens fer ....well, a mess o' greens. woo!

With some beer and Squidbilly DVD, gonna be a fun Sun. woo!

nb
Thats sounding mighty yummy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in
:

> On 2013-11-03, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
>> One 11-ounce can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce

> I can see the Dr Pepper, but I absolutely despise chipotle anything.
>
>> Here at 3K we've had snow and corn snow so far today.

>> Pot roast with potatoes and carrots for dinner.

> Sounds like the perfect dinner for a snow day.
>
> nb

I've done my pulled pork with a couple of bottles of Porter instead of
any kind of soda. And if you buy a six-paxk of Porter, that leaves 4
bottles to consume with the meal...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-04, Alan Holbrook > wrote:

> I've done my pulled pork with a couple of bottles of Porter instead of
> any kind of soda. And if you buy a six-paxk of Porter, that leaves 4
> bottles to consume with the meal...

The IPA I had, plus the greens, were about the only thing good about
this meal. Pressure cooked the greens for 5 mins, added a sprinkle of
salt and dash of hot sauce. Yum. The pull pork, OTOH, was a wash.
Even at 350F, still took 7 hrs to roast and was a dried out mess.
Next time I do p/c carnitas.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-11-04, Alan Holbrook > wrote:
>
>> I've done my pulled pork with a couple of bottles of Porter instead of
>> any kind of soda. And if you buy a six-paxk of Porter, that leaves 4
>> bottles to consume with the meal...

> The IPA I had, plus the greens, were about the only thing good about
> this meal. Pressure cooked the greens for 5 mins, added a sprinkle of
> salt and dash of hot sauce. Yum. The pull pork, OTOH, was a wash.
> Even at 350F, still took 7 hrs to roast and was a dried out mess.
> Next time I do p/c carnitas.

I still don't really know what 'pulled pork' is It conjures up a vision
of stringy meat

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 12:37:52 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>>> The IPA I had, plus the greens, were about the only thing good about
>>> this meal. Pressure cooked the greens for 5 mins, added a sprinkle of
>>> salt and dash of hot sauce. Yum. The pull pork, OTOH, was a wash.
>>> Even at 350F, still took 7 hrs to roast and was a dried out mess.
>>> Next time I do p/c carnitas.

>>I still don't really know what 'pulled pork' is It conjures up a vision
>>of stringy meat

> IMO, just that. Overcooked then stringed out with a fork

Oh!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-04, jay > wrote:

> Seems most everything you cook is a disaster. Ever thought of taking
> some cooking classes or at least the advice of this group.

Make that everything you "bake" is a disaster and you'll get no argument.

I kill on the stove-top.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Nov 2013 12:10:34 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2013-11-04, Alan Holbrook > wrote:
>
>> I've done my pulled pork with a couple of bottles of Porter instead of
>> any kind of soda. And if you buy a six-paxk of Porter, that leaves 4
>> bottles to consume with the meal...

>The IPA I had, plus the greens, were about the only thing good about
>this meal. Pressure cooked the greens for 5 mins, added a sprinkle of
>salt and dash of hot sauce. Yum. The pull pork, OTOH, was a wash.
>Even at 350F, still took 7 hrs to roast and was a dried out mess.
>Next time I do p/c carnitas.
>
>nb

try the recipe I gave you and substitute 10 ounces of favorite BBQ
sauce. It won't be dry and will fall apart.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote:

>I still don't really know what 'pulled pork' is.

I'll be happy to show you in private.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message ...
> In article >,
> notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2013-11-04, jay > wrote:
>>
>> > Seems most everything you cook is a disaster. Ever thought of taking
>> > some cooking classes or at least the advice of this group.

>> Make that everything you "bake" is a disaster and you'll get no argument.
>>
>> I kill on the stove-top.
>>
>> nb

> OK.. 350 is way too hot for PP. I cook it no hotter than 225 and as
> long as it takes to be tender. Braising is not "baking" even though you
> use the oven. Next time cook it up top. I like the oven for PP because
> you can put it in the oven and pretty much forget about it.

Hey leave him alone! He couldn't cook for a long time because he was
taking care of his mother. Now he is free he is experimenting with a lot of
stuff and good for him!!!
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" wrote:
>>
>>I still don't really know what 'pulled pork' is.

> I'll be happy to show you in private.

So you are telling me there are pigs around here???

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-04, jay > wrote:

> OK.. 350 is way too hot for PP.

Umm... no, it's not. I've done plenty of great PP at 350F. At sea
level!

> Braising is not "baking" even though you use the oven.

I said nothing about braising and roasting IS baking.

C'mon up here to 8K ft and we'll talk. Whole 'nuther ball
game! Until then, you got nuthin'.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-04, jay > wrote:

> excuse for your lack of skills. There is little difference doing pork
> at sea level or 14000 ft.

You right. I suck. You da' man. Happy?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 15:27:29 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> "Ophelia" wrote:
>>>
>>>I still don't really know what 'pulled pork' is.

>> I'll be happy to show you in private.

>So you are telling me there are pigs around here???

Cutie pink piggie!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-04, Ophelia > wrote:

> Hey leave him alone! He couldn't cook for a long time because he was
> taking care of his mother. Now he is free he is experimenting with a lot of
> stuff and good for him!!!

Thank you, O, but I'm a big boy and can take care of myself. I know
what my cooking skill strengths and weaknesses are. If I was highly
skilled in many facets of cooking, I could be a professional chef.
I'm not. Gee, whatta surprise.

I DO know when someone is talking out their ass.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/4/2013 8:44 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> > wrote

>> On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 12:37:52 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> I still don't really know what 'pulled pork' is It conjures up a
>>> vision
>>> of stringy meat

>> IMO, just that. Overcooked then stringed out with a fork

> Oh!

Ophelia, I love pulled pork. Don't picture dried out overcooked
meat. I suppose if someone has had bad barbecue they might call
it overcooked.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 12:37:52 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "notbob" > wrote in message
> > On 2013-11-04, Alan Holbrook > wrote:
> >
> >> I've done my pulled pork with a couple of bottles of Porter instead of
> >> any kind of soda. And if you buy a six-paxk of Porter, that leaves 4
> >> bottles to consume with the meal...

> > The IPA I had, plus the greens, were about the only thing good about
> > this meal. Pressure cooked the greens for 5 mins, added a sprinkle of
> > salt and dash of hot sauce. Yum. The pull pork, OTOH, was a wash.
> > Even at 350F, still took 7 hrs to roast and was a dried out mess.
> > Next time I do p/c carnitas.

> I still don't really know what 'pulled pork' is It conjures up a vision
> of stringy meat

That's what it is, but it's really yummy stringy meat.

Not sure how anyone can dry out a pork butt, but apparently nb managed
to do it. 350° is too hot. It was roasted, if it wasn't covered and
they should be braised at 250-300°. I don't cook huge butts like his
was (13 lbs?). Mine (3-5 lbs tops) fit in my dutch oven and the lid
stays on the entire time. They are never dry, always tasty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 12:37:52 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>> > The IPA I had, plus the greens, were about the only thing good about
>> > this meal. Pressure cooked the greens for 5 mins, added a sprinkle of
>> > salt and dash of hot sauce. Yum. The pull pork, OTOH, was a wash.
>> > Even at 350F, still took 7 hrs to roast and was a dried out mess.
>> > Next time I do p/c carnitas.

>> I still don't really know what 'pulled pork' is It conjures up a
>> vision
>> of stringy meat

> That's what it is, but it's really yummy stringy meat.

Ok) I'll take your word for it)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 11/4/2013 8:44 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> > wrote

>>> On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 12:37:52 -0000, "Ophelia"

>>> IMO, just that. Overcooked then stringed out with a fork

>> Oh!
>>

> Ophelia, I love pulled pork. Don't picture dried out overcooked
> meat. I suppose if someone has had bad barbecue they might call
> it overcooked.

I guess I will never know(
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-11-04, Ophelia > wrote:
>
>> Hey leave him alone! He couldn't cook for a long time because he was
>> taking care of his mother. Now he is free he is experimenting with a lot
>> of
>> stuff and good for him!!!

> Thank you, O, but I'm a big boy and can take care of myself. I know
> what my cooking skill strengths and weaknesses are. If I was highly
> skilled in many facets of cooking, I could be a professional chef.
> I'm not. Gee, whatta surprise.
>
> I DO know when someone is talking out their ass.

Good point

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in
:

> Going Southern, today. woo!
>
> Scored me a 13lb pork shoulder. Half going in the freezer, the other
> half going in the oven fer PP. Rubbed with Bay. It'll keep the house
> warm on this chilly 8K ft CO day. Got me sum cabbage fer slaw and a
> mess o' greens fer ....well, a mess o' greens. woo!
>
> With some beer and Squidbilly DVD, gonna be a fun Sun. woo!
>
> nb

I keep hearing about pulled pork but have never tasted it. I hate to make
it from a pork shoulder just for myself, especially if I find I don't
particularly care for it. Is it available in smaller quantities already
made, perhaps canned or frozen? I can't recall ever seeing it.

TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message

> I keep hearing about pulled pork but have never tasted it. I hate to make
> it from a pork shoulder just for myself, especially if I find I don't
> particularly care for it. Is it available in smaller quantities already
> made, perhaps canned or frozen? I can't recall ever seeing it.
>
> TIA

Look in the pre-made meat section where you find BBQ ribs and things like
that. I have seen it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> Going Southern, today. woo!
>>
>> Scored me a 13lb pork shoulder. Half going in the freezer, the other
>> half going in the oven fer PP. Rubbed with Bay. It'll keep the house
>> warm on this chilly 8K ft CO day. Got me sum cabbage fer slaw and a
>> mess o' greens fer ....well, a mess o' greens. woo!
>>
>> With some beer and Squidbilly DVD, gonna be a fun Sun. woo!
>>
>> nb

>I keep hearing about pulled pork but have never tasted it. I hate to make
>it from a pork shoulder just for myself, especially if I find I don't
>particularly care for it. Is it available in smaller quantities already
>made, perhaps canned or frozen? I can't recall ever seeing it.

"Pulled" is how southerners rationalize meat they've cooked to
death... pulled pork is simply a euphemism for trailer trash Sunday
dinner... you haven't lived until you've had pulled pork with canned
fruit cocktail gravy on a kaiser roll.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 10:31:20 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"KenK" > wrote in message
>
>> I keep hearing about pulled pork but have never tasted it. I hate to make
>> it from a pork shoulder just for myself, especially if I find I don't
>> particularly care for it. Is it available in smaller quantities already
>> made, perhaps canned or frozen? I can't recall ever seeing it.
>>
>> TIA

>Look in the pre-made meat section where you find BBQ ribs and things like
>that. I have seen it.
>
>Cheri

Fried Spam with redeye gravy is far more satisfying than pulling pork.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:
> notbob > wrote in
> :
>
>> Going Southern, today. woo!
>>
>> Scored me a 13lb pork shoulder. Half going in the freezer, the other
>> half going in the oven fer PP. Rubbed with Bay. It'll keep the house
>> warm on this chilly 8K ft CO day. Got me sum cabbage fer slaw and a
>> mess o' greens fer ....well, a mess o' greens. woo!
>>
>> With some beer and Squidbilly DVD, gonna be a fun Sun. woo!
>>
>> nb

> I keep hearing about pulled pork but have never tasted it. I hate to make
> it from a pork shoulder just for myself, especially if I find I don't
> particularly care for it. Is it available in smaller quantities already
> made, perhaps canned or frozen? I can't recall ever seeing it.
>
> TIA

you should find a place that makes good pulled pork and order a sandwich

personally I feel like it's a lot of work for the payoff, and there are
other things I enjoy more that require less effort ... so what it means is
I only make pulled pork a few times a year

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 10:31:20 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"KenK" > wrote in message
.. .

>>> I keep hearing about pulled pork but have never tasted it. I hate to make
>>> it from a pork shoulder just for myself, especially if I find I don't
>>> particularly care for it. Is it available in smaller quantities already
>>> made, perhaps canned or frozen? I can't recall ever seeing it.
>>>
>>> TIA

>>Look in the pre-made meat section where you find BBQ ribs and things like
>>that. I have seen it.
>>
>>Cheri

> Fried Spam with redeye gravy is far more satisfying than pulling pork.

I was trying to come up with ideas for leftover ham and saw in JoC ham
steaks with redeye gravy ... and must say it does not appeal to me at all

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> Hey leave him alone! He couldn't cook for a long time because he was
> taking care of his mother. Now he is free he is experimenting with a lot of
> stuff and good for him!!!

There you go defending again. Screw nb! hahaha
Anyone who lives at 8,000 feet should learn to adjust their cooking
accordingly.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 17:04:09 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> >>

> > Ophelia, I love pulled pork. Don't picture dried out overcooked
> > meat. I suppose if someone has had bad barbecue they might call
> > it overcooked.

> I guess I will never know (

Why? You have pork butt/shoulders over there, don't you? Braise it
on low heat 250-300°F in the oven with beer or apple juice/cider until
you can pull the bone out... that's how you know it's cooked enough to
"pull" aka: shred. It's almost impossible to dry out because the fat
content of that piece of pork is so high. Obviously nb dried his out,
but he didn't use the right technique and he probably cooked it too
long.

There are a million different bbq sauce recipes (on the net) to serve
with it. Basically you look at a lot of bbq sauce recipes, take the
flavors you like best and put them together to make your own signature
sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Hey leave him alone! He couldn't cook for a long time because he was
>> taking care of his mother. Now he is free he is experimenting with a lot
>> of
>> stuff and good for him!!!

> There you go defending again. Screw nb! hahaha

Sorry I just can't help it. I've been on the receiving end for so many
years ...

> Anyone who lives at 8,000 feet should learn to adjust their cooking
> accordingly.

I think that is what he is trying to do.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 17:04:09 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>>

>> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> >>
>> > Ophelia, I love pulled pork. Don't picture dried out overcooked
>> > meat. I suppose if someone has had bad barbecue they might call
>> > it overcooked.

>> I guess I will never know (

> Why? You have pork butt/shoulders over there, don't you? Braise it
> on low heat 250-300°F in the oven with beer or apple juice/cider until
> you can pull the bone out... that's how you know it's cooked enough to
> "pull" aka: shred. It's almost impossible to dry out because the fat
> content of that piece of pork is so high. Obviously nb dried his out,
> but he didn't use the right technique and he probably cooked it too
> long.
>
> There are a million different bbq sauce recipes (on the net) to serve
> with it. Basically you look at a lot of bbq sauce recipes, take the
> flavors you like best and put them together to make your own signature
> sauce.

Hmmmm ok .. I'll think about it

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>>> Going Southern, today. woo!
>>>
>>> Scored me a 13lb pork shoulder. Half going in the freezer, the other
>>> half going in the oven fer PP. Rubbed with Bay. It'll keep the house
>>> warm on this chilly 8K ft CO day. Got me sum cabbage fer slaw and a
>>> mess o' greens fer ....well, a mess o' greens. woo!
>>>
>>> With some beer and Squidbilly DVD, gonna be a fun Sun. woo!
>>>
>>> nb

>>I keep hearing about pulled pork but have never tasted it. I hate to make
>>it from a pork shoulder just for myself, especially if I find I don't
>>particularly care for it. Is it available in smaller quantities already
>>made, perhaps canned or frozen? I can't recall ever seeing it.

> "Pulled" is how southerners rationalize meat they've cooked to
> death... pulled pork is simply a euphemism for trailer trash Sunday
> dinner... you haven't lived until you've had pulled pork with canned
> fruit cocktail gravy on a kaiser roll.

Oh.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

> Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 10:31:20 -0800, "Cheri" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >>"KenK" > wrote in message
> .. .

> >>Look in the pre-made meat section where you find BBQ ribs and things like
> >>that. I have seen it.
> >>
> >>Cheri

> > Fried Spam with redeye gravy is far more satisfying than pulling pork.

> I was trying to come up with ideas for leftover ham and saw in JoC ham
> steaks with redeye gravy ... and must say it does not appeal to me at all

The redeye gravy is actually pretty good, made properly. Raisin sauce
is also good to use up leftover ham.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> tert in seattle wrote:
>>
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> .. .

>> > Fried Spam with redeye gravy is far more satisfying than pulling pork.

>> I was trying to come up with ideas for leftover ham and saw in JoC ham
>> steaks with redeye gravy ... and must say it does not appeal to me at all

> The redeye gravy is actually pretty good, made properly. Raisin sauce
> is also good to use up leftover ham.

Tell me what 'redeye' gravy is please?
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Oven pull pork notbob General Cooking 96 09-03-2014 06:22 AM
DOggie Beer Frank Mancuso Asian Cooking 3 30-01-2007 07:03 PM
Bar-B-Que Slow Cooking and Achieving Pull Apart Tender Pork Executive Crackhead General Cooking 48 07-06-2005 03:57 PM
Help. Pulled pork won't pull. cc0112453 Barbecue 13 10-03-2005 05:13 AM
How long does it take to pull pork? Jesse Skeens Barbecue 31 11-07-2004 03:17 AM