Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pumpkin Seeds - This year's approach

I never remember what exactly I do from year to year, so ...

Striving for no oil, crisp crunchy seeds:

Had ~2 cups of seeds from one large pumpkin.

Washed them, removed threads of pulp.

Made a very salty brine: ~1/2 cup kosher salt in 2 cups water.

Soaked the seeds in the brine for the past 3 days (unintentionally long - I forgot about them :-) )

Drained, spread the wet seeds out on a baking tray, dried out / baked at 350 degrees F, checked and stirred every 5 minutes or so until dry and slightly browned. Took about 40 minutes. Left them in the turned-off oven with the door open to cool.

No oil involved.

Results: Good and crispy, with just the right amount of saltiness.

A raging success, IIDSSM.

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 11:48:55 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> I never remember what exactly I do from year to year, so ...
>

> Striving for no oil, crisp crunchy seeds:
>

> Had ~2 cups of seeds from one large pumpkin.
>

> Washed them, removed threads of pulp.
>

> Made a very salty brine: ~1/2 cup kosher salt in 2 cups water.
>

> Soaked the seeds in the brine for the past 3 days (unintentionally long - I forgot about them :-) )
>

> Drained, spread the wet seeds out on a baking tray, dried out / baked at 350 degrees F, checked and stirred every 5 minutes or so until dry and slightly browned. Took about 40 minutes. Left them in the turned-off oven with the door open to cool.
>

> No oil involved.
>

> Results: Good and crispy, with just the right amount of saltiness.
>

> A raging success, IIDSSM.
>

> --
>
> Silvar Beitel

Nice- I love pumpkin seeds. Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>I never remember what exactly I do from year to year, so ...
>
> Striving for no oil, crisp crunchy seeds:
>
> Had ~2 cups of seeds from one large pumpkin.
>
> Washed them, removed threads of pulp.
>
> Made a very salty brine: ~1/2 cup kosher salt in 2 cups water.
>
> Soaked the seeds in the brine for the past 3 days (unintentionally long -
> I forgot about them :-) )
>
> Drained, spread the wet seeds out on a baking tray, dried out / baked at
> 350 degrees F, checked and stirred every 5 minutes or so until dry and
> slightly browned. Took about 40 minutes. Left them in the turned-off
> oven with the door open to cool.
>
> No oil involved.
>
> Results: Good and crispy, with just the right amount of saltiness.
>
> A raging success, IIDSSM.

I found that I like raw seeds better than roasted. But it is hard to find
them here now. My health food store used to sell them. But then they
switched to sprouted raw. Better for you but taste more like roasted. I
can get them bulk but they are often rancid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 14:53:36 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 17-Oct-2013, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> I found that I like raw seeds better than roasted. But it is hard to
>> find
>> them here now. My health food store used to sell them. But then they
>>
>> switched to sprouted raw. Better for you but taste more like roasted.
>> can get them bulk but they are often rancid.

>I don't recall where you live; but, if there is a hispanic
>community/neighborhood shop there and ask for pepitas.

There are lots of places on line:
http://www.northbaytrading.com/raw-pepitas
This looks like a good deal, and free shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-...ds=raw+pepitas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message

> On 17-Oct-2013, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> I found that I like raw seeds better than roasted. But it is hard to
>> find
>> them here now. My health food store used to sell them. But then they
>>
>> switched to sprouted raw. Better for you but taste more like roasted.
>> can get them bulk but they are often rancid.

> I don't recall where you live; but, if there is a hispanic
> community/neighborhood shop there and ask for pepitas.

The only such stores I know of are not places where I would buy food. Very
dirty and the produce is old. I would fear that seeds would be old too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message

> On 17-Oct-2013, "l not -l" > wrote:
>
>> On 17-Oct-2013, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>> > I found that I like raw seeds better than roasted. But it is hard
>> > find
>> > them here now. My health food store used to sell them. But then
>> > they
>> >
>> > switched to sprouted raw. Better for you but taste more like
>> > roasted.
>> > can get them bulk but they are often rancid.

>> I don't recall where you live; but, if there is a hispanic
>> community/neighborhood shop there and ask for pepitas.
>> --

> I should have also mentioned Trader Joe's; if they are in your area, you
> might check to see if your TJ's carries them. Mine does and they are
> quite good; but, the local international grocer sells them at a better
> price.

I can't buy most TJs items due to cross contamination. And I don't go there
often because they are not near me but I will look.

Pumpkin Seeds [email protected] General Cooking 5 09-11-2014 03:52 PM
Pumpkin Seeds bglass Barbecue 2 29-10-2005 06:03 AM
pumpkin seeds [email protected] General Cooking 11 29-11-2004 10:28 AM
pumpkin seeds Ed Stuart General Cooking 0 28-11-2004 10:24 PM
Pumpkin Seeds Nancy Young General Cooking 10 20-11-2003 07:39 PM